Unofficial Portkey Archive

Shadow of the Dark Fortress (Part 1) by Triggy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Shadow of the Dark Fortress (Part 1)

Triggy

This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Chapter 4 "Emergency Decisions"

Word of McGonagall's suicide attempt was impressively kept under wraps because all the students only seemed to talk about Dumbledore, Harry and Hermione observed. Both of them, of course, found this very alarming. The usual festive atmosphere in the Gryffindor common room was now gone as the two of them got in.

"Emergency prefect's meeting tonight after dinner, Hermione," said Dean Thomas as he was passing by her. "The Head Boy wants to talk all about security."

"Okay thanks," Hermione replied slowly. She and Harry found Ginny seated alone on the largest couch of the common room and went over to her.

"Dad told us by advance owl that he'd come here today by Hogwarts Express to see Ron," said Ginny, who was still bleary eyed, to Harry and Hermione. "He's been totally disgraced now in the Ministry - and he's considering quitting his job…he told Fred and George to pack up and we're going to get back to the Burrow with him. Mum's too upset of what's happened she's not talking anymore." And suddenly she just ran up the spiral staircase towards the girls' room, crying.

"Oh, Harry. I feel really sorry for all them, I am," said Hermione, who now had tears welling in her eyes. "What're we going to do now?"

Harry just slumped in on one of the squashy armchairs away from all the people present inside and thought real hard. He couldn't stop feeling very sorry for the Weasleys, too, and he desperately looked for a way to deal with the problem. Anything. "I was hoping to talk to McGonagall today, but I think now that's a little impossible," he said softly at Hermione so that nobody else could hear except her.

"What for? She knows you already heard what she said last night," Hermione said in an equally quiet voice.

"Of course, I'd still ask the same questions, but I wanted to see how she responded to them. You see, you'd know if she's lying because all you have to is to look straight in her eyes. That's all I could think of now."

"Don't try to be funny at a time like this, Harry," Hermione said seriously, "You, stare at McGonagall's eyes? I'd probably see a crow turn white before you could do that."

"Oh, shut up. Okay, so you got a better plan, then?" Harry said irritably.

Hermione thought real hard and her face lit up. She pulled Harry out of the common room and found a secluded spot beside the lake where she was certain no one could be around within a hundred yards.

"I got it," she said under the shade of a tree. "Since the Head Boy is our prime suspect, one of us should search his room for clues."

"Are you crazy? That's too risky!"

"Why, you got other things in mind?" challenged Hermione, both of her hands on her hips.

Harry couldn't think of any and gave up. "Okay, you got me. So how do you think we do it?"

"Okay, all you have to do is to get in, look for anything that we need, and get out. It's as simple as that. But first we got to make sure he won't get in his room while you search it," Hermione said.

"M-me?" stammered Harry.

"If you don't want to do it, I will," Hermione said bravely.

"Okay…okay, I'll do it. Then how do we make sure he even gets out of his room?"

"I've got it all figured out," Hermione said a matter-of-factly. "Didn't Dean just tell me we're going to have a prefect's meeting tonight? I know where the Head Boy's secret entrance is - I'll show you where. You use the invisibility cloak and wait at the right spot beside the portrait hole. When it opens, wait for him to clear the hole and you slip in and do your work. I'm sure he'll get something from his room before the meetings start - he does that all the time."

"Oh, all right," said Harry. "But first we have to get the cloak back - it's under the statue of the one-eyed witch remember? So, I just get in and look around the room and get out before the meeting ends, right? Sounds simple enough for me."

"B-uuut there's still one more thing you need to know, Harry," said Hermione with a look on her face that made Harry feel nervous. "The portrait hole can't be opened by anybody else except the Head Boy - not even from the inside."

"Is there anything else you want to tell me, Hermione?" Harry said exasperatedly.

"Yeah, like there's a blind spot just beside the portrait hole inside the room," said Hermione quickly. "You can hide right there and wait for the Head Boy to get back in. You can quietly get out then." Hermione beamed at Harry, effectively hiding the fact that she only thought of that remedy seconds ago.

"What if he decides not to sleep in his room tonight?"

"Well, that means you've got to prepare for a long wait," Hermione admitted. "That's the worse case I can think of." She looked at Harry who looked like he was still considering the idea. "Oh, go on, Harry. You've been through close calls like this before. We only have about until tomorrow morning to clear Ron."

"I didn't say 'no', Hermione," Harry said grinning, and Hermione smiled back.

"Our meetings usually take at least an hour. You'll have plenty of time. Then we'll rendezvous in the trophy room, beside the Quidditch cups, a.s.a.p."

-o0o-

The rest of the day proved uneventful. Harry and Hermione looked for ways to pass up the time, while keeping themselves calm for their plan tonight. They decided to retrieve Harry's Invisibility Cloak a few minutes past six in the evening when most students were back at their dorms cleaning themselves up for dinner.

And so they did. They casually walked the corridors toward the statue of the One-Eyed Witch where its hump opens to a tunnel leading to Hogsmeade, narrowly missing Mr. Filch who was in his usual vindictive mood tonight. Just a few paces away from the statue where the firelights were all extinguished, they heard voices getting nearer. One of them sounded like Snape's, and Harry pulled Hermione to hide behind a fat suit of armor and under the shadows.

"The Hogwarts Express just arrived, Professor," said a voice much like Jack Chadron's. "Ministry Wizards are making their way towards the castle."

"How many of them?" said Snape.

"About ten, sir. Ron Weasley's father is also with them, but he's not part of the ten who'd been sent here. I guess he just wants to see his son. Ah, I think that's them now."

"Severus, old boy," said one of the Wizards who looked like to be in charge of the group. "Marvelous to see you. Still have the suspect, I trust."

"He's still in there, and you can take him if you want tomorrow morning, Maximus," said Snape with a hint of impatience in his voice. Harry had the impression the Potions master couldn't wait to get rid of Ron, but Snape was actually irritated being called "old boy".

"Ah, no need to wait that long, Severus. We just got here, yes, but we still have plenty important things to do at our offices tomorrow. Wish we could stay longer to nostalgize, but we're here for only until midnight tonight and bring the suspect to Azkaban using the Hogwarts Express. Cornelius wants to have a word with him first thing tomorrow."

Harry gasped, but not loud enough for anybody else to hear.

"That's fine with me," said Snape, his voice relaxing now. "But you still need to inspect the crime scene, I believe. I'm afraid I'm the only witness left aside from the Head Boy here - I assume you already knew about Professor McGonagall?"

Harry and Hermione looked at each other in the darkness and Harry was able to read Hermione's mouth: "What about us?"

"We have. Very unfortunate that could happen to Minerva. Very unfortunate." Then came a long pause between the conversation. "But I do hope Madam Pomfrey can heal her very soon? She's an important witness. Anyway, Clarence Norton here is one of the finest investigators in the Ministry. He'll be able to record everything we need to know within an hour."

"Come, I'll show you Dumbledore's office and we'll have a private dinner in my own after you've done your work The Head Boy here will answer your questions first because he has important matters to take care of tonight," Snape said as they started to walk away and out of sight. As soon as Harry was very certain he and Hermione were all alone again, they emerged from behind the large suit of armor.

"Harry, did I hear what I think I heard?" hissed Hermione, looking pale in the dim corridor.

"I guess we heard the same thing," said Harry, feeling pressured now. "We don't have until tomorrow morning - we only have until midnight tonight! This is beginning to look impossible."

"What're we going to do?" Hermione asked desperately.

"The plan's still on…it's still a go. Whatever happens, we must still clear up Ron's name, whatever it takes."

"Okay." They went to the statue and Hermione pulled out her wand to tap it on the One-Eyed Witch's hump then muttered "Dissendium". The hump opened; Harry went inside the statue and got back again in mere seconds with his Invisibility Cloak draped now on his shoulder, then Hermione closed the hump again.

"I'm sure the Head Boy's not in his room now," Hermione said. "There's no point of waiting for him there because he'll be in the Great Hall for dinner, so we might as well have dinner ourselves. I think we need the energy."

"And we'll know he's going to get his stuff in his room when we all finish supper," said Harry thoughtfully. "That's when I'll go into position."

"Right, you are, Harry," Hermione said with her thumb-up. "It's almost time for dinner - and don't forget to hide your cloak."

-o0o-

Dinner usually took a half hour to forty-five minutes, and one-by-one students stood up with full stomachs and started to get out of the Great Hall. Jack Chadron finally stood up to go to his personal quarters. Hermione yanked down Harry's robe a little too hard. "You know where to meet me after you get out," hissed Hermione. "I'll be starting my way towards the meeting room."

"Yeah, wish me luck," said Harry as he straightened up his robe.

Harry slowly followed Jack out of the Hall towards the Head Boy's corridor. He did it in a skillfully non-conspicuous manner as not to attract attention. When he made sure Jack Chadron got inside the Head Boy's room, he looked around to make sure no one was within eyesight and fumbled for his Invisibility Cloak under his robes. He quickly covered himself with the Cloak, making him totally invisible, and positioned near the portrait hole for a quick run inside when it opened.

After a good five minutes of waiting, the hole creaked wide, and Jack got out. Harry, still under the Cloak, darted towards the hole stealthily and made it just in time before he got pinned by the closing door. After the portrait hole closed behind him, he wisely didn't take off the cloak yet, because after a couple of minutes, Jack returned to get the notebook he forgot to bring.

As soon as Harry was sure Jack wouldn't be back for a long time, he dropped off his cloak on the floor and began rummaging for clues. He hoped to get anything that would help give the Ministry of Magic reasonable doubt that Ron could have made the attempt to murder Dumbledore. The problem was, Harry thought he didn't know what he was looking for.

There were stacks of books on the study table, with a large pile of parchment laying and gathering dust. He could probably gamble the time looking for documentary evidence, but Harry didn't believe he could go through this many pieces of paper - he wished Hermione were around because she probably was the best speed reader of Hogwarts. Maybe he could hope for pure luck, and pick the right paper to bag it. Well, he'd start with something, Harry thought, and flipped through the first piece of parchment.

Transfiguration notes...potions recipes…just student stuff here and there. It took him a few minutes too long to find something, and Harry was starting to feel worried. He kept looking at the clock, and time was running out…until he chanced on a small red envelope deeply lost in the pile of parchment. He took it and read "Black Cauldron" written on its face. "Hmmm, I wonder what this means," Harry muttered. "Jack Chadron - Black Cauldron. Close, but doesn't mean anything." Still it was too interesting to pass up.

What was written in it alarmed Harry a great deal.

Black Cauldron,

The Dark Lord is not pleased with your performance. The order was to kill Dumbledore, not just to put him to sleep. We thought you have been thoroughly trained to administer the curse but we were mistaken. The grand plan will not push through until we are certain Dumbledore's body is lifeless and cold. We expect you to finish him off as soon as possible, whatever it takes, but keep you cover.

As a personal note, you have done well with throwing the blame to Ron Weasley. The negative effect on his father's career is what I have imagined. Our people in Azkaban have been alerted to Ron Weasley's arrival. They have been given their assignments, and they will make it look like an accident.

I must emphasize again to you again the importance of the mud-blood lover Dumbledore's death. Complete what you've started, and do it for the glory of the Dark Lord. Your service to him shall be rewarded. Destroy this letter after reading it.

Harry's heart was pounding painfully. He couldn't believe what he was holding in his hand. There's actually an ongoing conspiracy to kill Dumbledore, and the order came from none other than Voldermort himself. Ron was just a pawn, and worse, he will be murdered once he gets to Azkaban! He had to stop this from happening, and all he had to do was show this letter to the Ministry Wizards who were sent in to Hogwarts. But was this enough to prove anything and clear Ron, and pin down Jack Chadron as one of the conspirators?

So far the evidence was only circumstantial, and he was certain the investigators would surely find his story incredible. They would only dismiss his efforts as some cheap ploy to prevent his best friend's impending sentence to Azkaban, and they would think this letter was just made up. He needed something else very incriminating, and fast. If he can't, then Ron is a real goner.

Harry was deciding if he'd bring this letter out or not. Would the Head Boy notice the letter is missing if he did take it out with him? After all, it was deeply tucked under the pile of parchment. He'd show this to Hermione, he finally decided, and they'd add this as part of other clues they may find along the way. He wasn't afraid of Jack Chadron, and Harry was sure the Head Boy had no reason to suspect that he was in his room. Jack Chadron would have to suspect Snape or the other Ministry Wizards for all he cared.

Harry knew his time was up, and quickly covered himself up with his Cloak. He waited patiently near the portrait hole to make his escape when Jack Chadron walked in. A few minutes from now…

Harry waited. As he did, he thought when he'd meet Hermione in the trophy room, they had to discuss an emergency plan to save Ron whatever it takes in light of what he had discovered. Then the waiting turned into a half hour, and an hour, and another hour. Harry was already dreading the worse: Jack Chadron would probably not get back. A lot of time was wasted that was best used to save his best friend, and he could not do anything about it because he was trapped inside the Head Boy's room. He wondered if Hermione gave up waiting for him in the trophy room. Harry wanted to look for more clues, but he didn't want to risk missing the door when it suddenly opened.

The clock chimed ten o'clock in the evening. The train would leave at twelve midnight, and whatever he and Hermione would plan to do before that, they would never be able to do even if he could get out now. He scanned the walls for any other means to escape, but as he was looking around, he heard footsteps coming and getting nearer. Harry prayed it was the Head Boy, and he got what he wished for - it was him. The door opened, but to Harry's horror, he was in the opposite side of its swing. He couldn't reach to the other side on time and it closed on him. Wide-eyed with cold sweat running down his face, he wheeled around and looked at the Head Boy (who didn't feel Harry at all) walk over to study table and opened some books.

Harry now slumped himself on the floor, not believing he was so stupid to remember how the door swung. He was sure now Ron was good as dead. Harry knew he would not forgive himself for making such a blunder at the cost of Ron's life. He just looked at the Head Boy there for minutes sitting, writing, and studying as if it were a normal day. Harry's brain was getting numb, he didn't know what to do, even doing the simplest thing as to knock on the door as if somebody was outside to make Jack Chadron open it to see who it was. But he didn't have to anyway. When Jack started to frantically look for something, there was a knock at the door. Jack Chadron, with a puzzled look in his face, went over to the door to answer it. It was Hermione.

"Oh, it's you, Granger," said Jack irritably. "Why are you here at this time of night? This better be important."

"Sorry to have bothered you, sir, because I didn't understand one part of the meeting, sir," she replied, slightly panting. "I thought I needed to hear again what you said about the curfew hours…"

The door was now wide enough to allow Harry to slip out and he seized the opportunity. He gave Hermione a soft pat on her shoulders to let her know he was already outside.

"You mean to tell me you came all the way here to disturb me in my sleep just because you weren't paying attention at all back there, Granger? Ten points from Gryffindor, and just go ask the other prefects, not me," Jack growled.

Before she could apologize, Jack slammed the door, and the twelfth-century woman in the portrait that hid it stuck her tongue out at Hermione. When they got inside the trophy room, Harry removed his cloak. "Thanks for saving me up there…"

"What took you?" said Hermione fiercely at Harry. "I knew right then when you hadn't come back for ages you were still up there stuck…"

"I'm sorry I goofed, but you gotta hear this, Hermione, we haven't got time!" said Harry urgently, cutting her off. He told her what he discovered, and when he finished, Hermione had both of her hands over her mouth.

"Oh, Harry, what're we going to do? It's almost midnight!" Hermione said, starting to panic.

"I don't know, but I gotta save Ron," said Harry desperately.

"But how?"

"I'll break him out!"

"What? But that's impossible, Harry! We can't get through those trolls, they'll pound us to death before we could get a few feet to the door…" Hermione normally would have opposed this kind of idea, but because Ron's life was in mortal danger, she didn't want to make things much more difficult for Harry.

Harry thought for that for a moment, and desperately thought of other things. And then it hit him. "I got it, through a back door!" Hermione scratched her head; she didn't remember seeing any backdoors in the cell.

"Hogsmeade! I'll get to the Hogwarts Express before they can, and I'll think of a way to get him out…"

"You mean you're not bringing me along?" said Hermione, looking deeply disappointed. "We're in this together, aren't we?"

Harry managed to let out a sigh in admiration for Hermione. She was staring at him now and she sincerely wanted to do a dangerous thing like this (even risking expulsion or arrest) to save her best friend. But Harry thought otherwise, not that he didn't want her because she might become an annoyance, but rather she could still do something back here at Hogwarts that could help Ron or him. Harry regretted that the circumstances came to a point that he had to leave Hermione all to herself, but at the present, this seemed to be the only thing left to do because Ron was in much more danger than anyone else. He explained this to Hermione, and it took a long time for her to accept this. In the end, she understood how important it was if she stayed behind.

"You're right, Harry," said Hermione finally. "I'll keep on looking for more clues here, and I'll think of something to protect Dumbledore. But I just hope we're making the right decision because this'll make Ron a fugitive and you'll be a wanted man for helping him escape." She was starting to get teary eyed again.

"But better than having Ron dead for a crime he didn't commit," said Harry. "I'm really, really sorry if I have to leave all the burden on you, Hermione. But I got to save Ron. I know you're very strong - and I have faith in you. Ron and I are counting on you, okay?"

"Oh, I can't believe this is all happening, Harry." Hermione said, now crying, and she gave Harry a very strong hug. "Harry, promise me you'll be okay? Give my love to Ron, too."

"I promise, Hermione," said Harry softly. "Here's the letter, and hide it very well. We need it, and Jack might be looking for it now. He might not even suspect one of us now if I hadn't blundered back there…"

Hermione removed her Gryffindor scarf and neatly placed it inside in Harry's robe pocket; Harry didn't need one because he was already wearing his own. "This is for Ron," she said. She knew that this wasn't enough for the cold nights Ron would be facing, but maybe this would help a little. Grateful, Harry said "We better get back to the One-Eyed Witch. If I'd hurry, I could still beat them to the Hogwarts Express."

They both hid under the Invisibility Cloak and hurried towards the statue. When they reached it, Harry opened the hump with his wand and climbed in.

"I think you need the cloak more than we do," Harry said to a surprised Hermione. "Use it, and please promise me you'll be careful. I don't want Jack to catch you - he's almost a dark wizard now. It'll be all my fault if you got hurt…"

"Thanks, and don't worry, I'll be careful," said Hermione. "I think I know what to do."

"Send Hedwig if you think it's allright for us to surface already, and we'll be here as fast as we can for you."

"Got it," said Hermione, struggling to look her bravest. "Harry, we've spent too much time. Go, or you'll miss the train! Please be careful, okay?"

They both exchanged a last smile, and the hump of the One-Eyed witch closed. Harry hurried through the tunnel with a very heavy heart. He could not stop blaming himself for abandoning Hermione to continue doing what they both started. He knew he wouldn't forgive himself if she got caught and died for him and Ron. But still, if he hadn't left her and allowed Hermione to go with him, then there would be no chance to find the truth at all, and they will be running from the law for the rest of their life. All three of them, he thought. No, he didn't want that. Or if he hadn't chosen this path to break Ron free, Ron was as good as dead, too. Either way, he had a big dilemma in his hands.

Harry prayed there wouldn't come a day he'll regret this decision. Their future now depended entirely on Hermione because of the choice he made and he can't be around to help her when she needed him most - now that he and Ron are soon going to become fugitives of the Ministry.