Unofficial Portkey Archive

Shadow of the Dark Fortress (Part 1) by Triggy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Shadow of the Dark Fortress (Part 1)

Triggy

This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Chapter 7

"The Hidden Object"

Harry and Ron hiked for several hours. They didn't care which direction, as long as they got further away from the Death Eaters. Ron had been worrying loudly that no matter how far he and Harry would go the man named Graham might still find them sooner or later.

"He reminds me a bit of Lockhart," Harry tried to calm Ron down. "For all we know, he might have just been exaggerating about his skills in front of the other wizards to shut them up."

"Probably," said Ron, still not convinced. "But they're Death Eaters, mind. Lockhart was a certified nitwit."

After a few more minutes of walking, they saw a small village up ahead. Hiding from behind a tree, and their stomach rumbling, they observed the people who were going about their business and for any sign of Ministry Wizards or Death Eaters. The village had only one cobbled road that went from east to west, with lots of shops and houses on both sides.

"Dufftown," said Harry.

"Sorry?"

"Dufftown's the name of the village," Harry told Ron, pointing at the small sign. "Never heard of the place - I bet it's not even on the map."

They both looked at each other, hoping that one of them would try to decide what to do. "Let's go," Ron said at last. "Just act innocent."

"Don't forget we are," said Harry, smiling.

They both slowly walked along the main road. The people were very polite and greeted both of them as they passed them by. "Looks like a muggle village, this is," said Ron. Harry spotted a three-storey building with a grocery store on the ground floor and suggested to Ron that they go in. He couldn't think of any reason why he had picked that particular building among the others, but only that it looked it so inviting.

Harry opened the door and the tinkling of the chimes announced their arrival to the lone attendant, who was cleaning his counter top with a sloppy rag. The signs stuck around the shop confirmed this was a muggle establishment, as all prices were in British pounds. There were tables and chairs around what looked like a small restaurant. The attendant was about forty-something, and was wearing muggle clothes.

"Hello, how do you do, mate?" said the attendant. "Why, can't remember seeing you around here me whole life. Passing by, I presume."

Ron nodded. "We're from, uh…Lottery St. Paul"

"Lottery St. Paul, huh," said the attendant, searching for the name in his head. "Never heard of the place…is it near here?"

"Y-yeah…" said Harry, playing along Ron's game, too. "Uh, we want to buy some food here but uh…"

"Yes?" said the attendant eagerly.

"But, uh, we only have this for money…" Harry took out eight galleons and 15 sickles. He was sure the attendant would think they're playing a practical joke and kick them out instantly. Harry knew he was breaking wizard law on exposure to Muggles, but this was worth a try. He and Ron were both too hungry to care.

The look on the attendant's face as he examined one of the galleons was one of pure amazement and excitement, and to Harry and Ron's surprise, he had swept across them, locked the door of his shop, and hung a "closed" sign. This made them very nervous.

"The name's Willard," said the attendant, extending his hand. "And you're wizards, aren't ya? I can tell from your robes - you come from Hogwarts."

Harry and Ron didn't answer him.

Willard let out a throaty laugh and said "Don't worry about me, I've almost been a wizard meself - but me parents couldn't afford to put me in Hogwarts. I dropped out in me third year." He shrugged. "It's kind of rare to have wizards drop by in me place, but I do accept Galleons, Sickles, and Knuts anytime!"

"Glad to know that," said Ron, smiling with Harry. "We don't mean to be rude but we're hungry and we'd like now then we'll be on our way?"

"Sure thing," Willard said, with a broad smile on his face. "Just take a seat around one of those tables back there and I'll be with you."

"Lottery St. Paul?" teased Harry as they picked a table and sat down, fighting the urge to laugh. Ron looked visibly embarrassed.

"Sorry, that's was all I could think of," he said, shrugging. "But look, it's not on any map and they could look it up," he added quickly. Willard came over to their table carrying a couple of menus.

"Looks like you've strayed too far from Hogwarts, I reckon it's about a hundred miles from this place," Willard said as he pulled out a scribble pad and a pen.

"Uh - we're not students," Harry lied. "We only got these robes from charity."

"Uh-hum, but you look kind of young to be full fledged wizard, eh?" Willard said, winking an eye. "What'll it be, mates? Special rates on this joint's anniversary which happens to be today."

"Fried chicken, bread, and soup," said Ron almost at once.

"The same for me," followed Harry.

"Hmmm, how frugal," Willard said. "The combination goes with a free slice of chocolate cake."

"Oh, wow, thanks," Ron replied, positively feeling hungry now.

"Oh, by the way," added Willard. "I think this is your lucky day. I remember I've got a spare room upstairs in me inn, some wizard paid me two nights full yesterday and checked out quickly this afternoon, not minding to refund. You can use the room for free if you don't have any other place in mind to spend the night."

"Oh, I don't know, sir," said Harry. "That would be too much…" Harry felt Ron's foot kicking his shin under the table, making him glare at Ron.

"No, don't worry about it," said Willard cheerfully. "I can't live taking the poor old bloke's money for services not rendered. Besides, if you don't mind, I'd like to talk freely about the wizard world. I kinda have missed what's news and what's hot in there…"

"We'll take it, thank you," said Ron for Harry. Willard smiled broadly and said, "Excellent! I'll be back with your orders - won't be long." He disappeared into the kitchen.

"Ron, we shouldn't…it's too good to be true having a free room…" said Harry.

"Rubbish," laughed Ron. "Let's be glad we're this lucky - what's wrong with that?"

"I…just have a funny feeling about this," said Harry, looking worried. "That Willard guy may have something in mind for us. What if…"

"You mean turn us in? I'm not really sure of that, but I can tell he was really sincere with his offer," said Ron seriously. "Look, Harry, I know we don't have to trust anybody anymore, especially strangers, but sometimes we have to count the blessings that come our way. It's bad to get paranoid too much. It's still too early for everyone to know about us, and besides, I'm itching for a good bath."

Harry thought of that, too, and he personally couldn't wait for a nice hot bath himself. "Well, okay Ron, but we must remember we must be on the alert always. We can't afford to be taken off-guard."

"I understand, Harry," replied Ron. "Tell you what, if the room windows have iron grilles, we're out of here."

Willard returned with their orders after a few minutes. Harry and Ron never thought fried chicken would be this delicious - probably because they didn't know if they'll ever eat this good being on the run indefinitely. Willard didn't have any other customers tonight (thanks to the "closed" sign) and sat at the table with them, telling a lot of stories - which the duo enjoyed listening to. This Willard ain't bad after all, Harry thought.

-o0o-

"You can leave now, Hermione," said Madam Pomfrey as she opened the doors of the hospital wing to admit two stinking security trolls. Hermione saw these were the same trolls that guarded Ron down in the dungeons. "Thanks for looking after Professor Dumbledore for me this afternoon. These trolls will do the guarding from now on."

"You're welcome, Madam Pomfrey," said Hermione, pinching her nose.

"Oh, and Hermione, could you please do one more favor and tell somebody at the laundries to bring up some spare robes for Professor Dumbledore? Purple ones, as usual."

"Okay."

As she walked towards the laundries, Hermione wasn't sure if she was glad to be out of the relative peace of the hospital wing under the watch of Madam Pomfrey already. She now had the chance to do something - anything for Harry and Ron now that she's free, but at the same time she had a bit dread of being stopped by Snape or Chadron while doing so. Deep in thought of her next move, she didn't notice the many students who greeted her as she walked the corridors.

She got down a few floors from the ground and walked a long hallway with the portraits of food and fruit, and she remembered this was where the kitchens were located. She stopped. She had a strange and strong urge to get inside the kitchen, like she's being drawn towards it. She couldn't understand why; she had avoided getting in there since she unintentionally insulted a few house elves there last year when she tried in vain to convince them to demand wages for their services. Still, the urge was too powerful to ignore and she stood alone in the corridor fighting it. If Harry or Ron were with her now, she'd look silly in front of them and would bet on the spot as if she was fighting to revive her former obsession.

Or it might have been just her empty stomach.

Now that she thought of it she felt positively hungry, and not wanting to eat with the rest of the school at the Great Hall, she decided to get inside the large kitchen that was full of the probably-still-mad house-elves. Finding the portrait of a bowl of fruit that was actually the entrance to the kitchen, she tickled the green pear.

The elves in the kitchen were especially busy as she entered. There was a heightened flurry of activity around her, and the elves hadn't noticed her entering. They were expertly doing their craft, chopping up ingredients and frying food, clearly rushing for some sort of deadline, which was supper in a matter of minutes in the Great Hall up above.

"Why, it is miss!" squeaked one of the house-elves Hermione recognized as Dobby. "Dobby is pleased to find Miss in the kitchen after a long time," he continued hopping over to her and bowed courteously at her. "Come, Miss. Miss must not worry of the other elves. They is also glad Miss come here tonight." The rest of the elves waved and smiled at her without taking their hands of their work.

"Nice to see you again, Dobby, how are you?" Hermione said happily, glad that she hadn't been thrown out as she expected.

"Dobby is now a supervisor, Miss. Professor Dumbledore has given Dobby a new job last week. Dobby is liking his new job. Dobby is paid more than last year." Dobby was visibly proud.

"Good for you Dobby," said Hermione, smiling. "But have you heard about what happened to Professor Dumbledore?"

Suddenly, after she had said that, the kitchen fell silent, all except for the hissing sound of food being cooked. Hermione felt all of the elves were looking at her, and she stood there nervously in the kitchen, her eyes looking around, and certain she made another boo-boo. However, they just sadly closed their eyes, and bowed their heads in unison, clearly in respect for Dumbledore. Then the usual sound of activity returned as the elves went back to work. Soon, four courteous elves carried a tray full of bread, mashed potatoes, pastries, meat loaves, and pumpkin juice for Hermione, who thanked them and gratefully took the food. They all bowed at her and scurried off.

"Yes, miss," said Dobby, after Hermione wiped off some sweat off her forehead. "Dobby is especially sad to what happened to Professor Dumbledore. Dobby does not know who is doing such a terrible thing to him. Dobby only got in to clean Professor Dumbledore's office before it happens, miss. If Dobby had stayed on for Professor Dumbledore, he would have prevented such horrible thing to happen. Dobby is too mad at himself…"

"Really," said Hermione, biting off a big piece of bread, getting gradually excited. She thought that Dobby could give her some insight on what happened in Dumbledore's office before that incident. She felt her heart beat faster. How lucky could she get by deciding to get in the kitchens when she knew the elves were mad at her, and end up getting some valuable information from Dobby, of all people? "So you mean to say you were with Dumbledore before someone tried to kill him?" she asked eagerly.

"Yes, Dobby was in office of Professor Dumbledore, miss. Dobby is willing to tell Miss all she is wanting to ask."

"Can you tell me what saw in there, Dobby?"

"Firstly, Dobby is not telling what he is wants to tell miss to anyone else. Dobby is not trusting to anyone knowing what he sees, except Professor Dumbledore, Harry Potter, Wheezy, and miss." He pulled two stools and offered one to Hermione. They both sat down and talked as quietly as they could amid the noise of the kitchen. Hermione was now keen on hearing on what Dobby had to say and she hoped when she got out of the kitchen she'd at least have a lead.

"Secondly, Dobby is not trusting the Head Boy since the start of the year. Dobby thinks he is evil," he carried on. "Dobby was cleaning books when Professor Dumbledore was writing to Hagrid…"

"To Hagrid! Did he say to you what it was about, Dobby?" asked Hermione eagerly, now forgetting about the food.

"Yes, miss, Professor Dumbledore did. He did! He says it was for Hagrid, and if anything happened to poor Professor Dumbledore, Dobby will tell Harry Potter to talk to Hagrid, and look for a key to unlock his table."

"Key? So there's a key. What kind of key? Did he tell what to look for inside his table? Did he say where to find the key?" Hermione didn't know what to ask about first and wanted to know everything at once.

"Alas, Dobby is not knowing, miss," said Dobby, which made Hermione drop her shoulders in disappointment. "But Dobby knows Professor Dumbledore felt the evil Head Boy was planning something that night, and made sure whatever happened, Harry Potter can know."

"Dobby, why didn't you talk to us sooner? We were around Hogwarts all the time!" she said incredulously.

"Dobby is very sorry, miss," he sobbed, wiping tears on his scarf. "The house elves did not know about poor Professor Dumbledore until the next morning. Dobby could not find the gallant Harry Potter and missed him the whole day. Then Dobby was too busy with his new job that he is forgetting to tell miss today!" Dobby looked for something on one of the tables and found a roller, and banged it on his head painfully several times. "Bad Dobby! Bad Dobby!"

Hermione took hold of the roller very quickly and placed it far away from Dobby to save him from further hurting himself. "Oh, I don't blame you one bit Dobby, please stop doing that to yourself! I didn't mean to hurt you with what I said…"

"Thank you, miss. Dobby is very, very sorry miss," he said, massaging his forehead. "But Dobby thinks the key poor Professor Dumbledore is talking about is in the letter he sent to Hagrid. Dobby had seen him put something small in an envelope. When the evil Head Boy entered poor Professor Dumbledore's office with Wheezy, he was finishing some letter and closing the very same envelope, and an owl took off with it. Then poor Professor Dumbledore asked Dobby to leave the office, and Dobby, as obedient as he is to him, returned to the kitchen."

Hermione sat straight on her stool, trying to recall something she didn't know what. "It's been days since the incident in Dumbledore's office, and if the letter was for Hagrid, why hadn't he told us anything yet…" Hermione asked herself aloud. "He could have known already about the key you told me about, Dobby, unless…"

Dobby was staring at Hermione with deep interest.

"Unless Hagrid hadn't opened it!" she exclaimed excitedly, her face brightening. She inhaled deeply. "…Until now! Oh, Dobby, thank you! Thank you! You've been a good help!" She got off her stool and hugged Dobby, kissing his cheek and he smiled widely, feeling proud that he had contributed something for Hermione. "I'm going to Hagrid - don't tell anyone! I'll be back soon and tell you what I found out!" She waved goodbye to the other house elves who all cheerily acknowledged her.

She got out of the kitchen and walked through the corridors as fast as she can towards Hagrid's hut. She didn't know what was the significance of the key that Dobby told her about, but she strongly felt she had a lead for the first time since Harry had gone away. She was glad she had thought of entering the kitchen tonight, and that was probably why she had felt the strong urge to. Like she thought some kind of force that was drawing her towards…what? Destiny? Probably it was magic at its most mysterious; add the fact that Dumbledore was a wise man (is a wise man, she corrected herself) and did seem to have incredibly keen senses to everything around Hogwarts, even about the future all the time. Nobody was around the halls tonight, as they were all in the Great Hall for supper.

The walk to Hagrid's took several minutes. The sun was setting now, and Hermione saw the gentle giant take out a large pail and filled it with water from a barrel. Some beautiful unicorns were galloping freely at the paddock. The sight of unicorns was breathtaking every time, and she slowed a bit to marvel their beauty from afar. Hermione didn't know why there were unicorns near Hagrid, and she surmised it was in preparation for another Care of Magical Creatures lesson.

"Hagrid!" Hermione called as she neared the hut, now running again. "Hagrid!"

"Hermione!" Hagrid cried. "Hermione it's so good to see yer! I've heard about Harry and Ron and…" he seemed to have been lost for words and he dropped the pail on the ground, splashing water in a wide area. Hermione screeched to a halt when she saw Hagrid stride towards her, arms open. She knew what would happen next and tried to turn back and run away - but it was too late. Hagrid had caught her and pinned her against his moleskin coat with both of his trash can lid-sized hands.

"H-Hagrid - I k-know!" she said, gasping for breath. "Y-you gotta l-listen to m-me." Hagrid had done this to Harry once, but he was lucky she and Ron were around to pry him loose. It took a few seconds too long before Hagrid thought of letting Hermione go. She was afraid for a moment he had broken her back, but was relieved to know she could still move her neck.

"What're we gowern te do now?" he wailed. "I've been so worried!"

"H-Hagrid, hang on for a moment and listen to me," said Hermione breathlessly. "Did you have any messages from Dumbledore the night someone tried to kill him?"

"I dunno," Hagrid replied, not knowing what Hermione was on to. "I reckon I was in the dark forest when it all happened, and when I came back I heard of the news and was too distraught about it I din' care fer anythin' no more."

"Then, do you still have those unopened letters in your house?" asked Hermione hopefully.

"Unopened letters…oh, yeah, they're still in there," Hagrid said, puzzled. "What do you need them for?"

"C'mon, Hagrid! Let's start opening envelopes, quick!" she said excitedly. She grabbed Hagrid's sleeve and pulled him inside his hut.

Hermione sat eagerly beside the dining table as Hagrid retrieved the unopened letters from his shelf. The stack he was carrying was about five inches thick, and plopped them all on the table. "This is all of 'em."

Hermione rummaged through the pile, checking each envelope for Dumbledore's recognizable handwriting.

"Dobby said he saw Dumbledore send an owl for you moments before someone tried to kill him," said Hermione, taking one envelope at a time and examining them.

"Oh dear, how could I've been so stupid…" Hagrid whispered and shook his head. "Then Dumbledore could have had an important instruction fer me…"

"Here it is!" Hermione squealed. Hands shaking, she ripped off the wax seal and looked inside the open envelope to see what was inside. Her eyes widened; Dobby was right. She turned the envelope upside down; a small silver key and a small piece of parchment fell on to the table.

"What does the letter say?" asked Hagrid, now intrigued.

Hermione read it aloud for Hagrid and it said:

-----------

"Dear Rubeus,

I am sure you well remember about what I told you about our present Head Boy. Until now, I can't fully give him my trust, and I can sense more that Dark Forces are strong in him.

Professor Snape in recent days have warned me of a plot he uncovered from Lord Voldemort's inner circle to take my life in the hands of a traitor in Hogwarts. Though he could not be certain if this plot is of high priority, my suspicions towards Jack Chadron supports this warning. However, as you know no one is aware about my impression of Jack Chadron except you and me until such time I have reason to divulge such information to the other teachers. I could not accuse Jack Chadron of anything as such a thing may be later be proven unfounded.

Also, Professor Trelawney (bless her) had been warning me for days about the possibility of death. Though I do not believe her one bit, I myself have been feeling something will be done against me in the coming days, so I have given serious consideration for her warnings.

Tonight, I will be giving extended detention to Ronald Weasley and the Head Boy is obliged to witness the meeting. I can sense that if there is really a plot to kill me, this will be a perfect opportunity to execute. This is why I have taken extra precautions and asked Professor McGonagall to be present as well.

As an added precaution, I will be keeping something I have "borrowed" from Mr. Weasley, a gadget called the Advanced Sneakoscope. It's so fortunate that I have gotten hold of it. If anything bad happens to me any day from now in my office that I would not be able to recover from, take the enclosed key and call the attention of Harry Potter and his best friends. Please show them this letter and ask them to unlock the drawer of my desk and retrieve the Sneakoscope. If it works as it is supposed to, it shall hold the answers to what may transpire after this. Assuming such a thing might happen, I am very sure it will save someone innocent from injustice. I take precedence to that concern above my own life as I believe it would also help me in the end. They should hand the Sneakoscope over to Cornelius Fudge at once. If it could not work as expected, I have to ask you to look after the welfare of Harry Potter as I am certain Hogwarts will crumble in the weight of Lord Voldermort's plot.

I shall tell you to disregard these instructions if nothing untoward will happen at all. I am not being paranoid, but it won't hurt by being prepared. For the moment, please be vigilant as the Dark Forces are now at work to weaken us all.

Your Headmaster,

Albus Dumbledore"

--------

Hermione and Hagrid fell silent for a moment as they looked at each other after reading the letter. ("How could I have been so stupid," Hagrid kept on repeating.)

Hermione could not stop marveling at Dumbledore's excellent foresight and wondered how on earth he can do that. She was about to ask Hagrid to come with her to Dumbledore's office when they heard a loud thud outside the hut.

"Who's there?" growled Hagrid. Hermione felt alarmed, and hugged Hagrid's arm.

"Oh, no!" said Hagrid as he peered out his window. "The unicorns have opened the paddock and they're runnin' loose!" Without waiting for Hermione to talk back, he ran out and chased one of the four unicorns who were running around the grounds near the hut, trying very hard to put round them up and put them back in the paddock. Hermione dropped the key and the letter in her robe and then ran outside to help Hagrid.

"Hagrid! What should I do?" she asked, panting, as she tried to get in the path of a galloping unicorn and get hold of it; it just shifted direction away from her. The unicorns were too nimble and quick; Hermione had the impression they were just happily playing around her and Hagrid. Hagrid, however, kept on chasing after one unicorn over the other, even if he obviously knew they were too fast for him.

"H-Hagrid," called Hermione after spending too much time and giving up catching at least one unicorn (they didn't seem to want to get far from the fences, and were taunting her and Hagrid by often stopping together as a group and scuttling when one of them got too near). Hagrid was desperately determined to take them all back inside the paddock.

"Hagrid!" Hermione called. "HAGRID!" she called again when he didn't seem to notice her.

"Oh, sorry, you go on, Hermione!" said Hagrid, now chasing a different unicorn he chose around the grounds and waving her hand at her. The others were just standing in the middle of the field, watching him. "I can take care of this on me own…"

"No, I mean, the Sneakoscope!" Hermione said, bouncing up and down on her toes. "Dumbledore's office! Remember?"

"Oh…right! Yeh go first to his office - I think it won't be that hard te find! I'll follow you very shortly! Promise!"

"Okay, I'll be expecting you in the office then?"

Hagrid just nodded impatiently and kept chasing the unicorns.

Exasperated, Hermione tore down alone towards the castle. Her heart was pounding; she was absolutely certain this was the thing she needed to finally clear Ron and unmask Jack Chadron. There were a few students who were strolling this late at night, but all of them were gloomy-faced, she observed. Everything that was happening lately took a heavy toll on the morale of the students and staff, and Hermione hoped that she could put a stop to this and help Hogwarts return to normal.

She looked around as she approached the entrance to Dumbledore's office making sure she was not being followed. She then acted as if she was just deep in thought about something, strolling slowly, doubling back and just hovering near the entrance. In truth she was glancing around, trying to spot anything that moved in any of the corridors.

Nothing moved in the corridors; not even a shadow. Feeling it was now okay to enter, she muttered the password for Dumbledore's office, hoping it wasn't changed. "Cherry Lollipops," she said, and the entrance opened. She got in and closed the door.

The office was dark because not a single light was on; only moonlight from the tall windows was illuminating the room. Fawkes the Phoenix was perched on his usual place and bowed his head curtly at the sight of Hermione.

"Hullo, Fawkes," called Hermione. "How come I haven't seen you when I last came here?" she asked. Only that Fawkes didn't know how to talk and just looked at her. "I'm here to do something for Professor Dumbledore, Fawkes," said Hermione as she got to Dumbledore's large desk in the middle of the room, fearing that the Pheonix might attack her for trespassing. "I hope it has answers to who tried to kill him…I hope it wasn't really Ron…" The Pheonix bowed its head at her again.

She crouched and took out the silver key from her robe and tried all the keyholes of Dumbledore's desk, and at last she found the one that it would unlock. Hands trembling, heart pounding loudly, she turned the key and the drawer opened. It only had one item inside it: Ron's Advanced Sneakoscope. She took and examined it, not immediately recalling how it worked. She had read about this in a book once before, and her mind was frantically trying to recall how to turn it on. "Show me?" she guessed audibly.

The Sneakoscope whirred into life. It was lightening up, spinning increasingly faster. The action produced some amount of friction that Hermione had to let it roll down on to the desk to keep it from burning her palm. It kept on spinning on the same spot, faster this time, and then beamed some light out of it. Next, to her surprise, she saw the ghostly representation of Professor Dumbledore projected on his seat scribbling a quill on a parchment and closing an envelope. A short time later, the Sneakoscope projected the forms of Jack Chadron and Ron at the entrance as they entered the office.

"We're here, Professor Dumbledore," said 'Jack Chadron'.

-----

A/N Triggy's recommendations: You gotta read Zimmeron's "Hermione Granger and the Boy Who Lived" also found in Fanfiction.net! I've seen other fics about Hermione's POV of Sorcerer's Stone but this is by far the best. Well researched, well written, and full of surprises. Highly recommended.