Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Fear Within by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Fear Within

MisCard

~*Ok, so here's another chapter. It's shorter than the others, but I felt there needed to be a little lightheartedness before the next chapter. Yes, all hell will break loose in the next chapter. I still don't know how many chapters are left in this story, it's kind of writing itself right now. So, I hope you enjoy the groups together time, I kind of had fun writing it. Letting something good happen to the characters for a change was a nice change of pace. I'm hoping to have the next chapter posted on Saturday. Thanks for reading and please keep the great reviews coming!!! :)

After they had returned to the hotel, everyone split off into their little groups for the afternoon. Harry and Hermione were in their room with Conlan and Hermione's parents. Hermione wanted to spend as much time as she could with them before they had to leave for Crete. As she sat there cuddling Conlan, she was telling the story of what happened in the strange room at Hera's Temple.

"I was kissing...Pyrena?" Harry asked, sounding almost disgusted. Hermione giggled at the look on his face and then noticed her Dad glaring at Harry.

"Daddy, it wasn't real" she said, trying to ease his temper. "Hera was putting me through a test of character; Harry did not cheat on me." Her Dad stopped looking at Harry and turned his attention to her.

"I know, but just the idea of it happening and you having to witness it makes me angry" he said. Hermione loved that he cared for her so much, but he was really overprotective sometimes.

"I did punch the Harry that cheated on me though; I got him right on the nose!" Her Dad started laughing, and she laughed with him when she saw the look on Harry's face. She looked at her parents and then looked down at Conlan, a very serious look on her face all of a sudden. "Mom, Dad I think it would be a good idea if you were to stay here with Conlan when we go to Crete." Harry, Jane and Robert all looked at her in surprise.

"You want them to stay here?" Harry asked, wondering what she was thinking.

"Yes, I think it would be best. That way if Lucius decides to send someone after them, they won't be able to find them easily" explained Hermione.

"I think that is a great idea" said Robert, thinking over what she said. "We probably would be safer here; is that ok with you Harry?"

Harry looked from Hermione to her Dad and said "I think it might be good for you to stay here. I'll go talk to Remus and see if he can make the arrangements and then I'll go speak to Mrs. Weasley and see if she will agree to stay with you."

Hermione watched as he walked out the door and then turned to her parents. "Mum, Dad would you mind if I spent some time alone with Conlan?"

"Of course not dear" said Jane "we understand that you want to spend all the time with him you can before you leave. Besides, your Dad and I will get lots of time with him while you're in Crete."

Smiling thankfully at her Mum, she stood up to hug her and her Dad and then watched them walk out of the room. Hermione walked over to the bed and laid down, placing Conlan next to her on the bed. "Well, little guy, it's just you and me for a little while." She smiled as he just lay there staring at her as she spoke. "I can't believe that I stayed away from you the first week of your life; I'll probably regret that for the rest of my life. You were a little scary though" she held her finger close to his hand and watched as he wrapped the tiny hand around her finger. "You have a tight grip; I bet you'll be strong like your father. He's a great guy, you know. I hope you turn out to be just like him; he's brave, he's handsome, he would give his life for us and he's smart too, even though he won't admit it."

"That's not true" said Harry, startling her from her private conversation. She noticed him standing at the foot of the bed, watching them.

"How long have you been there?" she asked, wondering why she hadn't heard him come in.

"I came in like I always do; you were just wrapped up in your one-sided conversation with our son." Harry slipped his shoes off and crawled onto the bed, laying on the opposite side of Hermione so that Conlan was between them. "So, I believe you were telling Conlan what a great guy I was?"

"Can your ego get any bigger?" she asked, swatting at his arm playfully.

"It goes along with the rest of me love, what can I say?" Harry laughed at the look on her face.

"Cheeky little bugger aren't you?" she asked, laughing. Sobering a little, she said "I wish we could just spend our summer like this; you and me relaxing and spending time with Conlan. All we've done is travel, but we haven't gotten to sight see or act like normal tourists."

"I know love. I would love to be able to spend every day like this, just you, me and Conlan spending quality time together." He stared at her for a moment before saying "Molly agreed to stay with your parents and Conlan. She thought it was a pretty good idea too. I guess when we leave, they will all stay in one room so that it's easier to protect Conlan."

"Good; at least that's one less thing we will have to worry about." Noticing that Conlan had fallen asleep, Hermione leaned over and placed a light kiss on the top of his head. Watching as Harry did the same thing, she said "he has the right idea."

"A nap sounds good to you too?" Harry asked right before a huge yawn escaped him. Laying his head on the pillow, Harry scooted a little closer to Conlan and reached over to Hermione, placing his hand on her hip. A small smile appeared on her face as her eyes started to droop, and finally unable to fight her drowsiness anymore, she fell asleep at the same time Harry did.

They had woke up a couple of hours later feeling rested and content. As Harry fed Conlan, Hermione took a shower and put some clean clothes on. She relieved Harry and he did the same, coming out of the bathroom to find Remus in his room.

"Remus came to invite us to go to dinner with him and Tonks" said Hermione. Harry looked at Remus's face and smiled.

"Would this be a double date?" joked Harry, earning a glare from both Remus and Hermione. "I was just joking, geez. What about everyone else?"

"The Weasley's are in their room right now with Hermione's parents and the twins. They had just ordered room service when I left to come see you. They know of our plans for dinner and Molly volunteered to keep Conlan for you so you could have a quiet dinner." Remus watched Harry and Hermione look at each other for a moment, an unknown look passing over their faces.

"Dinner for just the four of us?" Hermione asked, and when Remus nodded, she replied "sounds wonderful to me. Harry?"

"Absolutely, I can't remember the last time just you and I went out anywhere" Harry said, a huge smile on his face.

"Alright then, I will go tell Molly that you'll bring Conlan by her room in a little while." Harry watched as Remus left and went to wrap his arms around Hermione's waist.

"This may be our first real date" he said, placing his lips on hers in a gentle kiss that quickly turned passionate.

Reluctantly pulling away, Hermione said "I think you should get dressed so we can go; I wouldn't want to miss out on the chance to go on a date with you."

Harry smiled and kissed the tip of her nose. Walking over to the bed where his clothes were laid out, he said "there's something sad about the fact that we've been married for nine months and we've never been out on a date."

"Well, nothing about our relationship has been normal per se" said Hermione "but you have to admit, our lives have been anything but boring."

"That's true" said Harry "ok, I'm ready, let's go."

"It ought to be interesting to see how Remus acts around Tonks" said Hermione, and then when she noticed the smirk on Harry's face said "you had better be on your best behavior tonight Mr. Potter."

"Of course I will" he replied, picking Conlan up off of their bed and smiling at her. "Like you said, this ought to be a very interesting night."

They went to the Weasley's room and knocked, being let in by Ron. "Hey guys, I hear you're going on a double date with Remus and Tonks." He smiled at Harry and Harry smiled back, trying not to laugh at the expression on his face.

"Yes we are Ron; I'm surprised you're not off somewhere snogging Pyrena" said Hermione, smiling as his face turned bright red. Giving her a dirty look, Ron motioned for them to come in and then closed the door behind them.

Harry walked over and handed Conlan over to Mrs. Weasley. She was sitting at the small table in the corner of the room talking with Jane Granger. "Thanks for watching him so we can go out to dinner Mrs. Weasley" he said.

Molly smiled at him and said "it's no problem Harry dear. You and Hermione deserve a night out once in a while, especially with the stressful day you have ahead of you tomorrow."

"Actually, this is our first date" said Hermione, walking up beside him. Her Mum looked at her surprised.

"Your kidding? You guys never dated before you got married?" she asked.

"Well, no there was never really the chance to go on a date. Other than Hogsmead weekends, there wasn't anywhere else to go" explained Hermione.

"We kind of skipped dating and went straight to the good part" said Harry, earning himself a swat on the arm. "Ow, I'm just joking so stop hitting me!"

Laughing at their behavior, Jane looked behind them and said "I think Remus is ready to go." Harry and Hermione turned to see him standing by the door.

"Ready to go?" he asked. They nodded and said their goodbyes, turning to make their way out the door. "Be good you two" yelled Ron, causing everyone to glare at him. "What?" he asked, trying to look innocent.

Walking hand in hand, Harry and Hermione followed Lupin and Tonks to the lifts. When they got downstairs, Tonks made her way to the Ministry car and went to get behind the wheel. "She's driving?" asked Harry, sounding a little worried.

"What's the matter Harry, you're not scared of You-know-who, but the thought of me driving has you worried?" Tonks asked, starting up the car.

"I'm not worried" said Harry, looking over at Hermione and noticing the concerned look on her face too. As they got into the back seat and Tonks revved the engine, Harry mumbled "Merlin help us!" and grabbed the seat in front of him as Tonks sped off down the street.

They ended up in a little restaurant in the middle of town that was almost deserted. They had walked in at nine p.m. and had been seated immediately. The lights were dimmed and there were candles burning on the tables, creating a very romantic atmosphere. "Where is everyone?" asked Harry, looking around the empty room.

"Remember what Pyrena said in Athens, that no one eats dinner until at least nine at night?" Hermione answered.

"I guess we came at just the right time" said Tonks, noticing some people walking in the door. Remus and Harry each held a chair out for the ladies and pushed them in when they were seated. After they were seated, a short balding man walked up to their table with a warm, friendly smile plastered on his face.

"Good Evening" he said with a thick Greek accent "my name is Zeno Leromenos, and I am the owner of this restaurant. How are you this fine evening?"

"Fine, thank you" said Remus, smiling back at the friendly man. When the man looked around the table, he stopped when he saw Harry and said "you're Harry Potter!"

Harry closed his eyes, cursing the Gods for not letting him have just one night of peace. "Yes I am" he said, opening his eyes and looking at Zeno.

"I am so sorry Mr. Potter, please forgive my rudeness. I am just surprised to see you here in my restaurant." When Harry gave him a small smile, Zeno excused himself and returned quickly, holding a bottle of wine in his hands. "This is a bottle of the finest wine from the Appellations of Playies Melitona; I would be honored if you would accept this as my gift to you. A thank you for your defeat of you-know-who."

When Harry opened his mouth to tell him he wasn't of drinking age, Zeno left again and returned with four wine glasses. Opening the bottle, he filled each glass and handed one to each of them. After taking their orders, Zeno left to make sure their meals were prepared to perfection. "Only the best for Harry Potter and his friends" Zeno had said as he turned to walk away.

"Hermione's not his friend" Tonks had blurted out "she's his wife!" Zeno had stopped dead in his tracks at this information.

"You are married?" he asked, looking between Harry and Hermione. When Hermione slowly nodded her head yes, Zeno looked so happy that Harry became worried. "In that case, we shall celebrate! Your meal is on the house Sir."

Harry watched Zeno walk away, shaking his head in disbelief. "Why'd you have to say that Tonks?" he asked.

"What'sa matter Harry? Ashamed of your wife?" Tonks teased, laughing at the dirty look Harry gave her. "Relax Harry; we're here to have a nice dinner. So what if he gave us free wine and free food? You deserve something for all the Hell you two have gone through, don't you think?"

Feeling brave, Hermione picked up her wine glass and took a sip of the burgundy liquid. "That's really good" she said taking another, bigger drink.

Harry looked at her and said "um, did you forget we're underage?"

"I won't say anything if you don't Harry" said Remus "one night shouldn't hurt anyone. We're going on a dangerous mission tomorrow, so why don't we just relax and enjoy Zeno's hospitality?"

"If you say so" said Harry, picking up his glass and holding it out in front of him. "To friendship and love" Harry said as a toast.

"To friendship and love" repeated Hermione, Remus and Tonks, clinking their glasses together and taking a drink of the sweet burgundy liquid, determined to relax and enjoy their night.


**Yes, I know your thinking 'Remus letting them drink?' But you know what? He was a Marauder,so I have to believe he's laid back once in a while. Plus, Harry's the freakin' savior of the world, I say let 'em drink! Just to let you know, in Greece it's considered a great insult to refuse free food or wine from a proprietor. And the name of the wine, it's actually a real wine made in Greece. More to come Saturday!