Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Fear Within by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Fear Within

MisCard

~*Thanks again for all of the great reviews! I think I covered some of the questions posed in some of the reviews, the rest will be answered in the coming chapters. Thanks to me missing my husband terribly, there is some fluff in here too. I still have three and a half months to go until I can see him, so I'm living vicariously through H/Hr. Aren't I pathetic? :( Anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapter, and as always please review!!!*~


The next day was spent packing everything they would need for their trip to Greece. Between Harry, Hermione and Conlan they had quite a lot of luggage to take with them. All of the other students would be boarding the Hogwarts Express to go home for summer break after breakfast was over and they would be the last students left in the quiet castle. They were scheduled to leave the next morning at 6 a.m. so they figured they would spend the rest of their afternoon making sure everything was packed and ready to go.

Harry and Hermione, who was holding Conlan, went down to breakfast and noticed all the excited whispers as they sat down to eat. Everyone was looking forward to going home for the summer. Hermione's parents were due to arrive by floo at one that afternoon and would be staying in Harry and Hermione's room for the night. Dumbledore had added a bed for them along with expanding the room once again. Ron and Ginny came over, sitting across from them at the table.

"Hey guys!" said Ginny cheerfully. "Oh, can I hold Conlan Hermione?" she asked, smiling at the baby.

"Sure" said Hermione, carefully passing him across the table to her. "Are you guys ready to go back to the Burrow?"

Ron looked at her with a weird expression on his face. "What do you mean? We're not going home; didn't Dumbledore tell you?"

"Tell us what exactly?" asked Harry, wondering what was being kept from them now.

"Dumbledore called us into his office last night and told us everything that has been going on with you two and the scepter. Our parents were there also; he thinks it would be a good idea if we went with you guys to Greece!" said Ron, talking quietly so no one would hear their plans.

"Yeah, that way with Mum being there she can watch Conlan while we go looking for the scepter!" Ginny said, making silly faces at Conlan as she spoke. When he smiled at her, a huge grin split her face and she said "Look! He smiled at me!!" Some of the other students looked over at her after her outburst, but she didn't even notice, she was so concentrated on her Godson.

"Yeah, he smiled for the first time yesterday" said Hermione proudly. "And it was at me!"

Ginny looked over at her and noticed how happy Hermione looked. "Are things going better for you Hermione? I know you were having some trouble adjusting to Conlan" she asked and hoped she didn't make Hermione mad.

Hermione smiled at Ginny, glad to have such a good friend, especially after how horribly she had treated her lately. "I'm doing a lot better thanks to Madam Pomfrey's potion and a very understanding husband" she said. Looking contrite, Hermione said "Ginny, I just want to apologize for the way I've treated you lately. I would blame it all on hormones, but I'd be lying. I kind of felt threatened by you. You got along so good with Conlan and I felt like he didn't even need me with you around." When Ginny opened her mouth to protest, Hermione said "I know better now. You were just being the wonderful Godmother I knew you would be."

Ginny smiled at her, grateful to have her friend back. "So, do you know where we are going first tomorrow?"

Harry stopped the conversation he was having with Ron to answer. "We're going to Athens first, and then we'll get the rest of our itinerary from Remus there. Dumbledore said that they had to space the portkeys out because we're arriving during Greece's tourist season."

"So what do they mean by spaced out?" asked Ron.

"I think we're staying a couple of days in each city" explained Hermione. "That way we'll have enough time to thoroughly explore all of the sites where we think the scepter of Zeus could be."

"But why so many people?" asked Harry, wondering if he should be more worried about this trip.

"Well, let's see; there's Remus, Tonks and Mr. Weasley coming with us. I'd guess they would be going more for our protection than anything" said Hermione while ticking people off on her fingers. "Then there's Harry, Ron, Ginny and I to help search for the scepter. I figure my parents and Mrs. Weasley will be there to take care of Conlan. There will be ten of us all together, plus Conlan of course. I'm glad someone with magical abilities will be there in case anything happens" she said, referring to Mrs. Weasley.

Professor Dumbledore stood up at the head table, cutting all lines of conversation off immediately. "Good Morning! I know you're all eager to eat and make sure you're ready to go home, so I'll be brief. Another year is gone and I'm glad to say it was a relatively quiet one." Dumbledore looked over at Harry and Hermione, the twinkle more evident now as he smiled at them. "I just want to wish you a safe summer holiday and I hope to see all of your smiling faces again at the start of term in September! Now, tuck in!" As he said this, huge platters of food appeared on the table and everyone started spooning eggs onto their plates and grabbing toast and sausages.

"Sho do yoo think tha' thish trip will be dangeroush?" asked Ron with a mouth full of food.

Hermione, crinkling her nose in disgust, said "I'm sure there will be some danger involved. We're going after something that Voldemort and Lucius want. We all know they won't stop until they get it, so we just have to get to it first."

"Any idea where it's at?" asked Ginny, trying to eat as Conlan batted his hand at the shiny silver fork she was using.

Laughing, Hermione motioned for her to hand him back so she could eat. "No, no idea where it could be. That's why I'm going to use this afternoon to get some books from the library and do some research."

Now it was Ron's turn to look disgusted. "You mean you're going to do schoolwork on the last day of school?"

"Yes Ron" Hermione answered exasperatedly. "You might thank me if some of the information saves our lives you know."

"It's still work. We're supposed to be able to enjoy our summer" said Ron dejectedly. "I mean, we're going to Greece on vacation!"

"This is no vacation Ron" said Harry seriously. "If we don't find the scepter first, Voldemort will gain immortality and then the world will be doomed to live under his reign."

"And I'm the only one who can use the scepter of Hera to find its twin" said Hermione with a worried expression on her face.

After breakfast, the quartet made their way back up to the Gryffindor Common Room to say goodbye to all of their friends before they left. Hermione smiled as quite a few students from all the years stopped to say goodbye to Conlan, looking like they would miss him the most.

"Makes you feel loved, doesn't it?" asked Harry sarcastically as one of the first years left after gushing over their son.

"I'm just glad they treat him so well" replied Hermione "I was afraid we would be outcasts what with being married and me being pregnant at only sixteen."

"Yeah, I'm surprised everyone took it so well too. Well, maybe we'll be good examples of why abstinence is a great thing!"

Smacking Harry on the arm playfully, Hermione said "maybe for the girls! It seems like all you guys are just one big walking hormone."

Looking offended, Harry said "Hey, I haven't tried to touch you since you had Conlan. Madam Pomfrey told me I would have to...refrain from such pleasures for a while." As he said this, Harry's cheeks took on a pink glow of embarrassment that made Hermione laugh.

"She had a talk with you, I take it?" she asked, still laughing.

"You think it's funny, do you?" he asked, mock glaring at her as she laughed. "You have no idea what it was like sitting in an office with Pomfrey as she explained to me, graphically, why we couldn't have sex for three weeks after you had the baby. I just wanted to run out of there as fast as I could."

"I would have paid to see that" said Hermione, laughing harder. "Just be glad I'm a witch; muggles have to wait six weeks to have intercourse after having a baby." Seeing Harry's expression, she tried to calm herself down, then said "you poor thing. Going through withdrawal and having to put up with my wretched behavior all at once?"

Walking up to her and putting his arms around her while being careful not to squish Conlan, he said "yes and it hasn't been easy I'll have you know. There were a couple of times I'd see you looking scrumptious, then those bloody words of Madam Pomfrey's would creep into my thoughts and that was it for me." Putting his forehead against hers, he said "maybe we could make some part of this trip a honeymoon since we never had one?"

Hermione smiled as he planted a quick kiss on the tip of her nose and said "I think I'd like that. With Mum and Dad there, plus Mrs. Weasley I'm sure we could find someone to watch Conlan."

As they sat there, holding each other closely while Conlan squirmed in Hermione's arms, Ginny and Ron walked through the portrait hole and saw them. "Jeez you two, you could at least do that in your own room you know?" said Ron, looking disgusted at their display.

Hermione rolled her eyes and looked at Ron, trying to glare at him but failing miserably. "If you would get yourself a girlfriend, maybe you wouldn't be paying so much attention to what Harry and I are doing?"

Ginny walked up to her laughing and took Conlan, giving the two the freedom to enjoy each others company. While Hermione laid her head on Harry's shoulder, with his arms still wrapped around her, she looked at Ron to see him glaring at her. "I just haven't found the right girl yet!" he said, almost pouting.

"Are you even looking?" asked Harry. Hermione listened as Harry's voice rumbled through his chest and sighed in contentment.

Ron got up from the chair he was sitting in and said "if you two are going to gang up on me, I think I'll go pack my stuff for tomorrow!" and turned toward the stairs.

"If you don't care, I'll take Conlan up to the dorm to look around and make sure I have everything ready too" asked Ginny, wanting to give the two a little time alone.

"Thanks Ginny" said Harry, rubbing his hand up and down Hermione's back. "Why don't we go into our quarters for some quiet time?" he asked.

"That would be great" she said, grabbing his hand to pull him towards their door. "Just remember, you have one more week to wait!"

After spending about an hour snogging in their room, Harry and Hermione emerged from their quarters with smiles on their faces. It felt good to spend some time together without having to worry about Conlan. They knew that with Ginny watching him, he was in good hands. They walked over to where Ron and Ginny sat on the couch playing with Conlan. They were each trying to see who could get him to smile the most. Ron looked up and saw the goofy smiles on their faces. "I don't even want to know what you've been doing" he said.

"Ha, ha Ron. Who says we were doing anything?" asked Hermione innocently.

"Right. You were in there for an hour and you come out with goofy grins on your faces. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what you two were up to" he said, enjoying the way their faces were turning a bright pink color.

"Lay off Ron; we are married. Besides, at least I have someone to snog with" said Harry, watching as Ron's face fell.

"Too much information Harry" he said "and I already told you, I just haven't found the right girl yet."

"Or maybe you're just not looking close enough" said Ginny mysteriously.

"What do you mean?" asked Ron confused.

"Never mind, it's something you'll have to figure out on your own" she replied.

"Hey, maybe you'll find some Greek Goddess who will be your girlfriend" said Harry, earning himself a nudge in the ribs by Hermione's elbow. "Ouch, what'd I say?" he asked.

"You just make sure that Ron is the only one noticing the Greek Goddesses over there" she said, poking her finger in his chest to get her point across.

"OW! Stop that!" said Harry, rubbing the spot she had been poking. "You know you're the only girl for me. Why would I look for some Greek Goddess when I have my own Goddess right here?"

"Yuck!" exclaimed Ron as the pair started cuddling with each other again. "Would you two knock it off?!"

Harry and Hermione started laughing as Ginny laughed at her brother's behavior. Suddenly Hermione remembered that her parents would be arriving soon and checked her watch. "My parents should be arriving in twenty minutes" she said.

"So much for our time alone" said Harry, grimacing as Hermione smacked him playfully on the arm again.

"Let's go Romeo" said Hermione, walking over to take Conlan from Ginny. "I want to be there when my parents arrive. I know they'll want to see Conlan too; I bet my Mum's itching to see him. It's been a whole week!"

"Oh no, one whole week?" Harry asked cheekily, getting smacked again. "Quit hitting me!"

"Quit being such a twit!" Hermione responded while laughing. "Let's get up to Dumbledore's office."

The four of them made their way to Dumbledore's office, walking into the room just as the fireplace flared to life with green flames. Hermione's Mum came tumbling out first, then her Dad and Remus brought up the rear. Her Dad got up off of the floor and helped her Mum to her feet. They brushed themselves off and then noticed the group of teens, especially Hermione who was holding Conlan. Her Mum rushed over to her and Hermione held out her free arm, expecting a hug. Instead, her Mum grabbed Conlan out of her arms and started kissing his cheeks and talking baby talk to him.

"Nice to see you too" mumbled Hermione. Harry looked at her sympathetically and said "upstaged by our son twice in one day." Hermione smiled and grabbed his hand, grateful he was there.

Finally her Mum noticed her there, along with Harry, Ron and Ginny. "Wow, a welcoming party! Hi honey!" she said, finally giving Hermione a hug. Her Dad walked up to Harry and held his hand out. Harry grabbed it and they shook hands. "Nice to see you again Harry. I take it you're taking good care of my daughter and Grandson?"

"Of course Sir" said Harry, looking a little nervous. He hated when Hermione's Dad played the part of overprotective Dad. 'I'll probably be just like him with Conlan one day' thought Harry.

Robert Granger turned to Hermione and gave her a huge hug. "And how are you doing? You look good" he said.

"I feel good Dad" she said, hugging him back. "So are you guys ready for our trip tomorrow?"

"Sure am! I think the six of us will have a great time!" her Dad replied. Harry looked questioningly at Hermione and Dumbledore cleared his throat.

"Actually Mr. Granger, there will be ten of you going on the trip" he explained.

"Ten of us?" asked Jane Granger. "Why so many people for a vacation?"

Hermione looked confused as she turned to Dumbledore and said "didn't you tell them why we were going to Greece Sir?"

"No, I felt that would be best left up to you" said Dumbledore, noticing the angry look on Harry and Hermione's faces. "It's not really my story to tell Mrs. Potter" he said.

"Why don't we take their stuff to our quarters and we can explain everything there?" asked Harry.

"That's a great idea Harry" said Remus "I'll come with you since I have their shrunken luggage in my coat pocket."

The group of seven made their way out of Dumbledore's office to Harry and Hermione's quarters in Gryffindor Tower. 'How am I going to explain to Mum and Dad all the new information I found out about our bloodline?' she thought, unconsciously squeezing Harry's hand harder. He looked at her, questioning her with his eyes about what was wrong. "How am I going to explain this to them?" she whispered.

"Just tell them the truth; I'm sure they'll be fine with it" he whispered back. "You're just telling them something they didn't know before."

"Yeah, but how do I say 'Mum, Dad, guess what? I'm a direct descendant of the Goddess Hera'?" she asked, getting nervous.

"Hermione, if you can face them and tell them you're pregnant, then you should be able to tell them anything" Harry said, trying to lift her spirits a little.

"You've got a point there" she said smiling, then noticed they were already in the Gryffindor Common Room. Seeing her parents sit on the couch, she looked at Harry and said "Well, here goes nothing!"

Hermione went on to relate the story of finding the scepter and everything else they had learned since that night. She explained exactly why they were going to Greece and the danger the trip could entail. When she was finished, she looked at her parents and noticed that they didn't look surprised by her information.

"Why is it that you two aren't surprised by what I just told you? You don't look the least bit moved by my news, why it that?" she asked, getting very suspicious.

"Well...You see Hermione, we kind of already knew of our ancestry" said her Mum, not meeting her daughter's eyes.

"You what?!" said Hermione, unable to believe what she had just heard. "Why didn't either of you tell me?" she asked, very angry.

"Because we were hoping that this day would never come" said her Dad. "Look, we're sorry we never told you, but we kind of realized that you had found out when we were told of our impending trip to Greece. We actually have distant relatives over there."

Harry walked over to Hermione's side and put a comforting arm around her shoulders. "So you knew that there was a possibility that Hermione would have to go looking for this scepter of Zeus's?" he asked.

"We prayed it wouldn't happen, but when Hermione came home after first year telling us about Voldemort and how he was trying to gain immortality, that kind of tipped us off that Hermione was the chosen wielder of the scepter of Hera" explained her Mum, not noticing as Ron and Ginny flinched at her use of the dark lords name. "You're related through my side of the family honey. Where do you think we got our intelligence and cunning?"

"What we don't understand is how the scepter came to be here at Hogwarts" said her Dad.

Remus stepped up and said "Dumbledore and I think we may have the answer to that. With Voldemort inhabiting Lucius Malfoy's body, and Hera being a prophet, she somehow arranged for it to present itself to Hermione at this time because she foresaw the events coming to pass. More than likely the voice that called out to Hermione that night was Hera herself."

"How is that possible?" asked Harry. "The Gods and Goddesses don't exist anymore."

"That's not entirely true Harry" Lupin replied. "They were immortal, which means they couldn't die. No one really knows what happened to them. People just stopped worshipping them and they faded out of existence. The Druids still worship them, but other than that no other explanation of their disappearance was ever given."

"That's not entirely true" said Hermione, kicking into bookworm mode. "I read somewhere that their worshippers believed that they ascended into the heavens when they were no longer needed and that is where they still reside today, waiting for their followers to return."

"They were no longer needed?" asked Ron, looking thoroughly confused by the whole conversation.

"Yes, with the advent of Christianity and the worshipping of Christ as their new God, people no longer turned to the Gods of Mt. Olympus. They worshipped their new God and the others were forgotten" explained Hermione.

"Wow" said Harry, looking proudly at Hermione. "I never knew it was so complicated. Is there anything else that you can tell us?" Harry asked her parents hopefully.

"No; but we did bring something that might help. This has been passed down for generations, it was believed to be the diary of Hera. It's in ancient Greek, so you'll have to translate it to know what it says. I hope it will somehow help you find the scepter of Zeus" said Jane while she passed the diary to Hermione.

Hermione flipped through it and sighed. "I had better get to work on translating this. Harry, can you watch Conlan while I do this?"

"Sure, it's no problem. You're not going to be able to translate it all tonight though" said Harry, earning a glare from his wife. "Look, I'm just saying that you shouldn't work through the night. Try to come back early tonight, ok?"

"Ok, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get angry with you. I'm just trying to take in all the news my parents just laid on me." Hermione looked at Harry and leaned in, lightly brushing her lips across his. "I love you and I'm not going to let this ruin the nice day we've had."

"Good, because it's only going to get better once we get to Greece. You and I are definitely going to have some alone time" Harry said, then kissed her fully on the lips. Ron cleared his throat and they broke apart, glaring at him.

"What? I told you before, we don't need to see your public displays of affection" Ron said, then realized what he had said in front of Hermione's parents. "Oops" he said, under his breath.

"Do you guys make out in front of people all the time?" asked her Dad looking a little angry.

"No Daddy, Ron's just being a smart arse, excuse my language" said Hermione, really giving Ron a nasty look. "Ginny, would you please come with me to the library and help me with the translation?"

"Sure I will. We'll see you guys later!" said Ginny as she walked up to Hermione and grabbed her hand, almost pulling her out of the common room.

Harry looked at Ron and said "how about a game of wizard's chess?"

"I'm game, let me go get my board" replied Ron and he headed up to his room.

"I need to go speak with Dumbledore about what the Grangers told us" said Remus quietly to Harry so no one else would hear. "I'll see you tomorrow morning Harry."

"See you in the morning" Harry repeated and as Ron walked up with his chess set said "why don't we go in my quarters and play? I can put Conlan down for his nap." Ron nodded his head in agreement and Harry walked over to take Conlan from Hermione's Mum. "Will you two be ok? Do you have something you can do?" he asked his in-laws.

"We'll be fine Harry. We'll go walk around the castle or find something else to do" said Mr. Granger.

"Ok, if you need back into the common room the password is Buckbeak. If you want into our quarters the password is snuffles" explained Harry.

As Harry and Ron made their way into Harry's quarters, Robert and Jane got up to leave the common room. When they saw Harry was out of sight, Jane said "I knew we should have told her Robert. Now her life could be in serious danger and I don't know what I would do if anything happened to her."

"I know love, but we did what we felt was best for our daughter" explained Robert. "Don't beat yourself up over it. Hermione is a very intelligent girl, she'll figure out where the scepter of Zeus is and destroy it in time."

"I hope you're right" said Jane "the fate of the world depends on our daughter."