Unofficial Portkey Archive

Kindred Spirits, Bound Souls by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Kindred Spirits, Bound Souls

MisCard


~A/N>Hello again! Thanks for your patience and well-wishes to my husband and I; you guys are the greatest!! :) Just for that, this chapter is almost as long as the last one. Thanks for all the wonderful reviews and I hope you enjoy reading this chapter. I'm finally getting near the end of this story and I am going to be so sad when it's done. I'm thinking maybe three or four more chapters, unless it runs away on me again! A big thanks to my beta, Spaz141, you do awesome work babe and I appreciate it!


I woke up the next morning beside Hermione in her bed. Realizing that I really shouldn't have been there, I got up as quietly as possible and made my way out of the room. I was going to try to make it to my room without incurring the wrath of Molly Weasley. More than likely she saw me asleep in Hermione's bed, and I was sure I'd be getting a lecture for that little slip up.

Thankfully I was able to go to my room, get some clean clothes, and shower without running into her once. When I walked into the kitchen I found out the reason for my good fortune; the entire Order of the Phoenix was assembled around the Weasley's table, talking in very hushed tones; they were obviously discussing something of great importance.

Dumbledore, whose back was to me, was the first to acknowledge my presence. "Good morning Harry; I trust you slept well?"

"Um...yes Sir, I did" I answered rather quietly.

"Good, good" he said, and I knew if I could see his face I'd see the familiar twinkle present in his eyes. "Please, come sit with us, there is something we need to discuss."

I walked over and sat down in the empty chair that had appeared next to him. I sat there as he paused in thought for a moment, and I knew that he was not going to be delivering good news.

"Harry, the members of the Order and I have agreed that you and your friends will go to Grimmauld Place. We feel that since Voldemort breached the wards here, it would only be a matter of time before he regrouped and tried again. I believe that his intensions were wreak havoc with us yesterday; the real attacks have yet to begin." I just sat there staring at him, taking in everything he had just said. "Harry" he said, drawing me from my thoughts, "the final battle is fast approaching; it is time to prepare you for your confrontation with Voldemort."

I nodded my head slowly, realizing that his words were true; I had realized after the battle yesterday that the time to face my worst enemy was drawing near. "When do we leave?" I asked.

"As soon as Madam Pomfrey says that it is okay to move the injured. She is upstairs tending to matters as we speak," replied Dumbledore.

"Why don't you go up and help Hermione get ready?" asked Mrs. Weasley with a knowing look in her eyes; I felt a little relieved when I didn't see a look of reprimand there. I nodded my head and got up to make my way upstairs.

As I climbed the stairs, I realized that the prophecy was close to being fulfilled; I was starting to wonder if I would live to finish Hogwarts.

~*~

When I woke up the morning after the attack, I turned to find that Harry was gone. I slowly got out of bed to make my way to the bathroom when Madam Pomfrey walked in. "What do you think you are doing Miss Granger?" she asked with a stern look on her face.

"I'm going to the loo" I replied testily. My entire body felt like one big bruise and I was in no mood to be lectured at the moment.

"Let me help you" the nurse said, as she gently wrapped one arm around my back for support and held onto my arm with the other. We walked slowly down the hall and, after what seemed like an eternity, made it to the bathroom. "Why don't you wash up while you're in there? I'm supposed to prepare everyone for the trip to Grimmauld Place."

"What trip to Grimmauld Place?" I asked, confused.

"The one we're taking as soon as everyone is ready to go" came Harry's voice, surprising me. "Professor Dumbledore thinks that we will all be safer there."

I watched him for a moment, noticing a definite change in his demeanor since the night before. "Do you think we'll be safer there?" I asked.

He stood staring at me intently for a moment and then replied, "I think that Voldemort will do anything to get to me and that there isn't much that can stop him anymore."

Madam Pomfrey had cringed at the use of Voldemort's name and had shot Harry a very disproving look. "Mr. Potter, if you don't mind, I need to get Miss Granger ready to leave."

I watched as Harry gave a curt nod of understanding and walked in the direction of his room. I jumped a little as he closed the door harder than necessary and wondered what had gotten him into such a mood. I realized I would have to wait to find out as the nurse started to walk me into the bathroom; "I'll be just outside the door if you need me" she explained as she left me leaning against the sink.

I got into the shower and let the hot water cascade down on my battered body; as the steam rose around me I stood there thinking about what could have gotten Harry so upset. He had come from downstairs, so obviously he had spoken to somebody; maybe Mrs. Weasley had seen him sleeping in my bed and had yelled at him for it. I kept going through possible explanations as I got dressed and combed out my hair.

Madam Pomfrey was waiting for me just outside the door and when she reached out to help me walk once more I asked, "Would it be okay if I went to check on Harry?"

The stern nurse stood there glaring at me for a moment before she said, "I suppose you'll just go to see him after I leave anyway?" When I nodded my head in confirmation, she clicked her tongue and gestured towards his room; "just be careful and walk slowly."

"Thank you I will" I said and started towards his door. It took a little longer than it normally would, but I was finally standing in front of the door and knocked quietly. "Harry, it's me, may I come in?" I asked.

"Yeah" came his gruff answer. I opened it and walked into the dark room; once my eyes adjusted to the lack of light after closing the door, I could see him lying on the bed. I shuffled over to where he was and carefully sat next to him.

"You should be back in bed" he said quietly, his gaze focused intently on me.

"I wanted to talk to you; is something wrong?" I asked, hoping I wouldn't make him angry.

"What isn't wrong?" he replied sarcastically.

I was surprised by his attitude; it wasn't like Harry to sound so defeated. "Harry, has something happened that you're not telling me?"

"No, nothing else has happened. It's just...I was the reason everyone got hurt yesterday Hermione. Voldemort was just fucking with us and he was doing it to get to me, again. He knows that if he hurts the people I care about, he'll hurt me too" he explained, with a pained look on his face.

"I thought we settled this last night?" I asked, taking one of his hands into mine. When he just sat there staring at me, I continued, "I told you that we wouldn't be around you if we didn't want to accept the danger we know goes along with our friendship. Why can't you accept that you deserve to be loved, Harry? You can't let Voldemort win by letting yourself become bogged down with doubt and regret."

"It's easier said than done Hermione" he replied. "The Weasley's have very strong wards placed around the Burrow; how did he get past them? And if he's able to get through those wards, what's to stop him from attacking us at Grimmauld Place or Hogwarts? We're not safe anywhere; I'm the one he's after, not you. Maybe I should just go to Grimmauld Place by myself."

"Harry James Potter, I've had just about enough of your pathetic pity party!" I shouted, feeling anger coursing through me. "How dare you sit there feeling sorry for yourself?! Do you know how much you leaving would affect your friends, or me?" I sat there glaring at him, trying to ignore the pain and catch my breath. After a moment, I said, "How can you consider leaving me after everything we've been through together? You're the reason I'm alive Harry; I love you and I don't know what I would do without you."

While I spoke, two tears had crept down my face. I watched as Harry leaned forward and gently wiped them away. "I'm sorry 'Mione, I didn't mean to make you cry. I'm just angry right now and you know what a prat I can be when I get in one of my moods."

I couldn't help it; I smiled at his unique way of apologizing. Instead of saying anything, I slowly leaned in and closed the distance between us and placed my lips on his. When I felt his tongue seeking entrance to my mouth, I slowly parted my lips and let him in. His tongue danced lazily with mine and it was intoxicating; suddenly my body didn't hurt as much as it had before. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him as close to me as possible; I wanted him to feel loved and wanted, instead of depressed and resigned to his fate and the damn prophecy. All my thoughts disappeared as I felt his hand under my nightgown, sliding up my thigh and across my stomach; I shivered as it came to rest on my breast and he started to rub his thumb lightly over the nipple.

I instantly missed the feel of his lips on mine when he pulled away, but that quickly disappeared as he started to kiss his way along my jaw, towards my ear. "I know you love me" he whispered, causing a shiver to run down my back as his breath caressed my ear, "And I love you too."

"Then don't talk about leaving me anymore" I whispered breathlessly. I was trying to concentrate on his words, but his thumb was still toying with my nipple and it was making it very difficult to think at all. When he started to kiss me again and began kneading my breast, I was overwhelmed with my desire for him. He removed his hand from under my nightgown and I groaned in frustration; the next thing I knew he had lifted me carefully onto his lap.

"I won't leave you Luv, I promise" he said, and then claimed my lips again. We sat there snogging for quite a while and then someone knocked on the door, causing us to quickly separate so as not to be caught. "Come in" Harry called, after we had situated ourselves on the bed and straightened out our clothes. The door opened and Ginny walked in, followed by Draco. The minute she saw us a smile broke out on her face and Draco just rolled his eyes.

"Oh Gods" he drawled, "It's obvious what you two have been doing up here."

Ginny turned and smacked him on the arm as Harry and I looked at each other. I could feel my cheeks grow warm when I noticed his messier-than-usual hair and his slightly askew glasses. I must have looked a sight also because Harry started smirking as his eyes traveled from my hair to my neck.

"Just be glad it was us and not my Mum" said Ginny, still smiling.

"Was there a reason you dropped by?" I asked tersely; that just caused Ginny's smile to widen and my irritation to grow more. I sat there glaring at her and felt triumphant as the smile slid off her face.

"Sorry" she muttered, "Madam Pomfrey told me to find you, take you back to your room, and to help you dress if necessary; it's almost time to leave."

"I'm sure Potter would help her get dressed" Malfoy said, receiving another slap on the arm; I smiled to myself as I saw him wince. He deserved it for being such a prat all the time.

"Come on" said Harry as he stood up from the bed and helped me to stand. "I'll help you back to your room and then Ginny can help you from there" he explained, glaring at Draco the entire time. He wrapped his arm around my waist as I did the same to him and we slowly walked to my room; once there he kissed me quick and said, "I'll see you downstairs."

I just smiled at him and nodded; "are you feeling any better?" I whispered so that only he could hear.

"Of course" he whispered back, "you have such a wonderful way of making me feel better." I turned and slapped his arm lightly at the teasing tone in his voice.

"You git" I said, trying to sound angry, but failing miserably as a smile broke out on my face.

He smiled back and opened the door of my room as he said, "But I'm your git and you love me for it."

All I could do was laugh and shake my head as I walked into my room; when I turned back to Harry I noticed him watching me with a very serious expression on his face all of a sudden. "Are you sure you're okay?" he asked concerned.

"I'm fine Harry, I promise" I replied, loving that he cared for me so much. "I'll meet you downstairs in a tick."

He stood there staring at me for a moment more before he nodded his head. Ginny walked past him into the room with me and closed the door as Harry walked away. I turned and made my way to my trunk to get my clothes while something suddenly occurred to me, Ginny and Draco had looked awfully comfortable around each other in Harry's room. I considered asking her about it, but I decided that I would talk to her about it when we were finally settled in at Grimmauld Place and we weren't rushing around getting ready to leave.

~*~

I walked down the stairs, thinking of how pale Hermione had looked just now and how awkwardly she walked; I hadn't noticed it in my room because the lights had been off. Just seeing her look so frail caused a small ball of fear to settle in my stomach. If anything else were to happen to her...Merlin help the person who hurt her.

I went into the kitchen and noticed that no one was there. I figured I might as well get my trunk and bring it down so that I was ready to go. As I walked back up the stairs, I passed the twin's room on the right and the voices coming from inside caught my attention.

"If he has summoned you, it is your decision whether you go to him or not Severus." I recognised Professor Dumbledore's voice and he was obviously talking to Snape, if Voldemort was summoning him…

"He will find me if I don't go to him" replied Snape. "I intend to leave as soon as I can."

"If that is what you feel you must do," sighed Dumbledore. I quickly continued walking down the hall before either of them came out and discovered me there eavesdropping.

As I threw the rest of my things into my trunk, I thought over everything I had overheard. Could they be referring to Voldemort? But wouldn't he kill Snape immediately after what had happened the day before? Voldemort could have easily figured out that Snape was a spy, in which case he would be enraged and make sure to torture him mercilessly before brutally ending his life; how could Snape even consider going to him now?

I took my things down to the kitchen and joined the growing crowd; Dumbledore had just started speaking as I walked in. "I have temporarily connected the Weasley's fireplace to Grimmauld Place; it will only be for a short period of time, so we must hurry on our way." I walked over to where Hermione was standing with Ron, Ginny and Draco and held her hand in mine.

"Are you ready for this?" I asked.

She nodded her head and said, "I just hope I don't get slammed around too much during the trip; my body hurts enough as it is."

"I'll go before you and make sure you don't fall when you arrive," I offered, giving her hand a slight squeeze.

"Thank you" she said, giving me a beautiful smile. I smiled back at her and then walked over to place my trunk with the others that were currently being shrunk so they could be easily transported. I walked over to the line that was forming and made sure I was in front of Hermione; I was going to do everything I could to make sure she didn't get hurt anymore. I got into the fireplace when my turn came, shouted "Grimmauld Place!" and braced myself for the chaotic ride to come.

After what seemed like an hour I came tumbling out into the sitting room at Grimmauld. I got up quickly and turned just in time to see Hermione come tumbling out also. I caught her before she fell to the floor and held her until she regained her balance.

"Thanks Harry" she said, wiping off my cheek and then giving me a kiss on the spot she had just cleaned.

"No problem Luv" I replied as I watched Draco catch Ginny as she arrived. I saw Ron start to make his way towards them and released Hermione to stop him. I got in front of him and said, "Don't Ron, he was just helping her, that's all."

"I don't want him putting his filthy hands on my sister Harry" Ron ground out angrily.

"He did save her life yesterday Ron" said Hermione as she walked up beside us. Ron glared over at her but thankfully he seemed to relax a little; "I still don't trust him" Ron said, looking from her to me.

"I don't think any of us trusts him completely Ron," I said, trying to calm him down, "But Professor Dumbledore wouldn't let him stay here unless he trusted him completely."

"Doesn't mean I have to like it" he replied and then turned abruptly to make his way upstairs.

I sighed as I watched him walk away; I understood that he was looking out for his little sister, but sometimes he could be really stubborn.

"He'll come around Harry, we just have to give him time" Hermione said, watching him too.

"Yeah, but will it be before he has to fight beside him in battle?" I wondered aloud, "I don't want Ron to be so consumed with his hatred of Malfoy that he's distracted; it'll get him killed."

"We'll just have to wait and see" she replied, grabbing my hand. "Let's go check out our rooms and get settled."

Unbeknownst to us as we walked upstairs still discussing Ron, Professor Snape had left the Burrow before the rest of us to answer Voldemort's summons. Voldemort had tortured the traitor into unconsciousness and had begun his plan to kill me the instant Snape collapsed. Unfortunately, none of us would realize he was gone until it was too late. My destiny was being decided and there was nothing I could do about it; soon I would find out whether I lived or died.

~*~

It took another week for me to feel like my normal self again and once I did, Tonks put me right back into training. She and Kingsley had converted the basement into our training room, equipping it with weights and workout machines along with swords and other various fighting instruments. We spent the next six months training hard and doing coursework given to us by Professor McGonagall, who came by frequently to check on our progress. We took tests just like we would during the regular school term and finished up the requirements for our sixth year; in Ginny's case, her fifth year. We were even being taught apparition, which was something I was having trouble with; this gave Ron all the ammunition he needed to tease me unmercifully.

"Can you believe it Harry? Little-miss-know-it-all can't get the hang of apparition" came Ron's taunting one day after I had tried to apparate into my room upstairs and ended up on the kitchen table. I was not only angry with him for his comments, but I was pretty upset with myself for not being able to apparate correctly; I had almost been splinched.

"Are you sure you pictured your room clearly in your mind?" asked Tonks for the hundredth time.

"Yes Tonks" I replied, aggravated. "I pictured myself standing right next to my bed and next thing I know, I'm sitting on the kitchen table."

Ron and Draco started laughing at me and when I looked at Harry I could tell he was trying, unsuccessfully, to stop himself from following suit. "I'm glad you three think it's so funny" I said angrily, "we'll see how well you do when I don't help you with your course work anymore." I watched, satisfied, as the smiles on their faces disappeared after my threat. When I started to think over what I could have done wrong I felt my patience snap; "Bugger it all, I give up!" I said, then turned and ran up to my room, slamming the door behind me.

I had never failed at anything before; the small child in me cringed at the thought of what my Father would have done if he had been here and seen me fail. I could hear his angry voice in my head, even though I tried to block it out; "You're nothing but a pathetic failure; you're no daughter of mine! My daughter wouldn't be so stupid that she couldn't pick up on something so simple!"

I covered my ears, trying to block out the sound of my Father's voice, and almost jumped out of my skin when I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder. I wheeled around, scared of what I would see, only to find Harry behind me with a concerned look on his face.

"Are you okay?" he asked, "You sounded like you were whimpering or something."

"It's...nothing," I said quietly. Harry wrapped his arms around me and held me for a while, not saying anything or asking any more questions; he just laid his cheek on the top of my head and slowly rubbed his hand up and down my back.

"You know that I'm here to listen whenever you need me to, right?" he asked quietly after a little while.

"I know" I replied, pulling away from him just enough to look at his face. "It's just that...I've never failed at anything I've tried before; usually if I'm having trouble with something, I keep practicing and eventually I get it down perfectly. But with this...I just can't get the hang of it, and when I came up here I started to imagine what my Father would say if he were here."

"What?" he asked worriedly. "Why would you ever want to think about that bastard again? All he ever did was hurt you and make you feel bad about yourself." He cupped my cheek with his hand and started to rub his thumb softly across my skin as he said, "Don't do this to yourself Luv; don't get down on yourself just because you aren't perfect at something right away. We all have things we're not good at; apparition just happens to be yours."

"You're right" I said, and then sighed; the feel of his thumb gliding across my skin felt heavenly. Between that and what he had just said, I felt like my heart would burst with all the love I felt for him at that moment. He pulled his hand away all of a sudden and I looked at him, confused at the strange look that was on his face. "Harry, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Did you feel that?" he asked in return, looking from the palm of his hand back to me. When I shook my head no, he said, "my hand suddenly got really hot and it seemed to travel down my arm; it was the strangest feeling, it was like heat mixed with a tingling sensation."

I looked at him, confused for a moment, when something I had read once popped into my head. "Harry, what were you thinking about when that happened?" I asked, putting some things together in my head.

He looked away from me and I noticed his cheeks turned slightly pink as he said, "I, uh...I was thinking about you."

"I was thinking about you too," I said, too wrapped up in my thoughts to be embarrassed about admitting it. "I think I might know what happened" I said excitedly, "I just need to find the book I read it in..."

"What are you talking about?" Harry asked, obviously confused by my sudden change in behavior.

"Hmm?" I asked distractedly, and then realized what he had asked. "I'm sorry, Harry, I'm just thinking...I need to go look in the library for a book," I said as I walked up to him and kissed him quickly on the lips. "I think I know a way you can defeat Voldemort."


~Please review, it only takes a minute, and I greatly appreciate it!!~