Unofficial Portkey Archive

Wild! by cew-smoke
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Wild!

cew-smoke

The Brave and The Foolish

Hermione laid her letter gently down next to the snow globe portkey. She assumed that they would eventually find it, long after she was gone. She changed clothes into a pair of sturdy boots, a pair of hip-cut beige workpants and a faded green shirt. She took a thick hair band and tied her hair into some semblance of a thick, bushy ponytail. She took a leather belt that she had modified and put that on next. It had a leather pouch that she had made especially to fit her wand into. She secured her wand inside and closed the tuck-in flap to keep it from falling out.

She took her hands and from the top of her head all the way down to her toes she touched every part of her body. She searched carefully for anything that might be out of place. She was careful to check for any cuts that might be open. She made sure there were no loose strings or snags on any of her clothing. Comfortable that everything on herself was in order, she mentally went through the things she needed to take care of before she entered the forest. She had to hurry; the last thing she wanted was to start out in the dark.

She took a moment to breathe deeply and force her mind to be alert and fixated on the task at hand. She reached her hand out and touched the portkey sending herself rushing towards the Gryffindor common room. The room was empty save for one Neville Longbottom who was quite surprised to see Hermione suddenly appear.

"Hi Hermione," he said cautiously.

The last thing he wanted to do was upset her. He had seen her temper and had a healthy fear of crossing Hermione. She forced herself to reply to him.

"Hello, Neville."

"I know this isn't my place to say to you, but I wanted you to know how proud of you and Ron I am. I know that it was difficult to face Voldemort. I'm just sorry that I couldn't have been there with you. Not that I would have been any help, but you know what I mean."

"Yes, Neville, I do. Thank you for saying that. I'm sorry, but I'm in a hurry, so I have to run."

Hermione turned to head out of the room, but stopped and looked back at Neville.

"Neville? Do take care of yourself. You're a good person and a good friend."

With that she went through the portrait of the fat lady and left Neville sitting there. The hallways were also fairly empty. It was still quite early in the morning and most students were just waking up. She decided the first stop was Myrtle. One last update on what was going on in the forest, just to make sure she had not run into Harry. She ran and felt her muscles immediately respond to her desire to hurry. She ran all the way, until she came to an almost immediate stop as she reached out to push the bathroom door open. She ducked in and quietly called out. Myrtle responded immediately and appeared in front of her.

"Hermione."

"Myrtle. I'm in a hurry this morning. Any news?"

"Yes, actually. I ran across a small cave up against a hill. It was hidden underneath a rocky overhang and I never noticed it before. I didn't see anyone inside, but I can tell someone or something has been living there."

Myrtle gave Hermione an approximation of what direction and how far away it was. She even mentioned a few landmarks that might help her locate the cave.

"I'm going out again right now. I've been so bored hiding in here, that I kind of fancy roaming around looking for Harry. It's something to do."

Hermione would not have time to wait around for Myrtle, but thanked her for her efforts. She decided not to tell her that she was leaving soon. There was still too much of a risk that she might tell someone, who might in turn tell Dumbledore. She simply could not allow that. Hermione reached her hand out and touched Myrtle where her cheek was and held her hand there as if to stroke it. Knowing she would feel nothing, she did it in hopes of Myrtle recognizing the gesture. With that she left the bathroom and began running to her next destination. Myrtle held her own hand to her cheek and watched sadly as Hermione left her. It was the first time anyone had ever done anything like that for her; even back when she was alive. She wished she could have felt it. It might have been nice.

--- ---

"It doesn't matter if you think I'm ready or not. I have to go. My time has run out."

Healer Binns sighed and said, "I have to be honest Hermione. Helping you do this has been my biggest regret. Although, it has been a fascinating experiment to force a drastic change in the way your brain thinks. I'm not sure how it will help you accomplish your goal, but your mind has definitely evolved. Or in this case, more accurate to say devolved. I worry that things moved along so fast. It should have taken months or even years to do what we've done. I can only guess that you used magic to help speed things up." With a sigh she continued, "What I wouldn't give to be able to learn the outcome of what we've done. I wish you well and hope you find what you are looking for."

"I actually brewed some potions that caused things to go so fast. I had no more time and got a little desperate," Hermione spoke matter of factly.

"Well, what else can I say, but be careful. I'll miss you Hermione."

"Thank you Healer Binns… Goodbye."

--- ---

It was time to go. She searched her heart to make sure she knew what she was doing. Once she left, there was no turning back. If she found Harry then she would have to do the unthinkable. She loved him. There was no doubt in her mind of that, but that was not the point. He had already killed three good people and she could not risk him killing anymore. Harry was born into misery and found a ray of hope here at Hogwarts. Now, after fate had gotten what it needed from him, he was discarded like refuse and cast out. It was not fair; not at all. Better that Hermione took his life out of love, than let him live buried under his murderous insanity.

She stood at the edge of the forest. Up above, the morning sun was only a quarter of the way through its day's journey. She breathed in and smelled the fresh spring air. Her whole body was tense with anticipation. There were three clouds up in the sky and four birds flying above the trees. There was a large rabbit nestled inside of a nearby bush, hidden from view. Hagrid had passed by this way, perhaps only a day ago. She could smell that he had carried back a number of herbs from the forest. Nothing stood out as beyond the mere ordinary. Finally, she was ready.

She took quick stock of her direction, adjusted appropriately and then began to run.

--- ---

Ginny ran as fast as she could. She tripped down the last few stairs and picked herself up. She had bruised her shin, but this was no time to worry about that. She held a large roll of parchment in her right hand. Just ahead was the door to Professor McGonagall's morning transfiguration class. Without hesitation she burst into the room with a loud cry from deep in her throat. The entire class went deathly quiet and they all turned around to see who or what had just barged in. McGonagall opened her mouth to determine why Ms. Weasley had apparently just lost her mind.

"RON! I found this! It's Hermione, she's gone!"

Ron stared in shock at his sister, but quickly got his composure, stood up and quickly closed the distance between them. He grabbed the parchment and read the first part:

To those whom I love,

I have so little time left in this world. I have made the hardest, most difficult choice that I will ever have to make. I have been forcing a change in my mind and body. It is because of this that you have all worried so much about me. I know that I must seem insane to you, but please believe me that this decision is not made from mental instability, but from the love in my heart. I am going after Harry ~~~

Ron stopped reading and looked back at Ginny.

"Go and get Luna right now! Meet me near Hagrid's hut. We have no time at all. GO!"

Ginny spun around and left the room like a whirlwind. Ron quickly looked around the room at his fellow students and then at the gaping mouth of Professor McGonagall. Without a moment's thought he left as quickly as Ginny. Not a second later he returned and stood up on one of the chairs.

"Listen very carefully to me."

"Ronald Weasley!" McGonagall said indignantly.

"Shut up!" Ron demanded. "As some of you may now and others may not, Harry did not die after he defeated Voldemort. Some say he lost his mind, others say he turned bad. That doesn't matter right now. What matters is that one of the most important people who ever stepped foot into this school has committed herself to a suicide mission. Hermione Granger is going after Harry. She will likely get killed by him. I am asking, begging, pleading, or whatever it takes to convince you that we must rise up together and go and get her back. I know that the forest is a scary place, but if we all go together then we will succeed. If there is any shred of goodness in you, then stand up, get your wands ready and follow me."

With that he turned around and left with a flourish. The class looked at each other. Half of them stood up and began to walk out. Minerva wanted to stop them, but was too dumbfounded to say anything. The other half of the class gained courage at the first half and stood up themselves. As one, they all fell in line behind Ronald Weasley.

Ron wanted to completely break down, but he steeled his heart. He knew he had to keep it together. Hermione needed him. He had let her down in so many ways. He should have forgiven her for the things she had been doing. He knew that she was being slowly driven mad at the loss of Harry. To be honest, so was he. His own suffering prevented him from reaching out to her the way he should have. None of that mattered now. As a matter of fact, nothing at all mattered, except for Hermione.

Ginny had found Luna and saw the small mob that Ron was shepherding down the hallway. The two looked at each other, came to the same realization and began to run into each and every classroom. They were amazed at how student's simply got up and followed, almost without question. Even the first years could see that history was being made and no one wanted to be left out. There was a battle to be fought. They were tired of their fellow students dying. It was a unity never before seen at the school.

Even the Slytherins joined in, although reluctant at first. The very persuasive Ginny Weasley, lit a proverbial fire under one Draco Malfoy; and of course if Draco was going to get up and go, 'every' Slytherin was going to get up and go. Even Neville convinced the Herbology class to bring their wands to the ready. Shortly after the student's started walking across the grounds, a quick meeting amongst the staff followed suit. All in agreement they took up the battle cry as well. Dobby had even wrangled a dozen of the house-elves to come out of the kitchens. By the time Ron, Ginny and Luna had met up at Hagrid's hut as promised, there was a veritable army at their command. When Snape tried to convince Dumbledore to bring some order to the ranks, Albus had only one thing to say.

"I do believe Ron Weasley has things quite in order."

Ron apparated onto the top of the hut and gave a heartfelt speech about how not one more student would be lost to the war against evil. It was stirring and gave the entire school a sense of purpose. Ron's finest moment had come. He had done the near impossible. He had lifted himself above his status and became a General and this great body of young witches and wizards were willingly under his command. Hermione Granger was not going to die today, as a matter of fact, if Ron had his way no one would.

A scream shattered the morning, "HEEEEELLP!"

All eyes turned towards the forest. There swooping up behind Ron was Moaning Myrtle.

"RON! … RON!" she screamed.

Ron looked over at her with concern.

"Myrtle? What are you doing out of your bathroom?" was the only thing he could think of to say.

"What? Forget that now! Listen to me… all of you listen to me. A terrible mistake has been made. A terrible mistake!"

Ginny lifted her voice, "What on earth is it Myrtle? What mistake?"

"You have to stop Hermione. She's going to kill Harry!"

"We're all going to save her," shouted Neville.

"No, you complete idiots! She'll be a murderer if you don't find her before she finds Harry." Myrtle pleaded.

"No, Myrtle you have it all wrong. Harry is the murderer," Luna declared.

"No he's not, he's not at all. It's true he has lost his mind, but he's no killer."

"Myrtle," announced Dumbledore, "calm down and try and speak plainly. What are you saying?"

"Harry didn't kill those three people."

"Well, then who did?" McGonagall asked.

"The war isn't over! Harry hasn't come home yet, because he can't. He's still fighting He-who-must-not-be-named. Harry didn't kill him in that fight. He only weakened him. But every sundown he comes out of the darkness and Harry has to fight him again and again and again. He's been doing this every night since he disappeared. I never knew it before, because I couldn't find Harry. Today, I finally found him and he told me everything. I told him Hermione was coming to kill him and he just shook his head and said he didn't care anymore. He's tired of fighting a battle he cannot win. So, when Hermione comes he's going to give up and let her kill him. VOLDEMORT IS GOING TO WIN IF WE DON'T STOP THIS!"

Everyone stood and stared at Myrtle. No one moved and no one breathed. It was so much worse than they ever could have imagined. What could they do? Ron looked down at his army and spoke in a strong, but subdued voice.

"Listen to me. This changes nothing. If the Dark Lord wants a war, then we'll bring it to his doorstep. Today we will reclaim the forbidden forest. Nothing will stand against us. We will find Hermione, save Harry and then… then we'll kill that bastard Voldemort once and for all."

Ron cleared his mind and looked over everyone. He envisioned them as chess pieces, each with their own unique strengths and weaknesses. He had to use them to their best advantage. He needed order and he knew there was no room for mistakes. He clambered down from the hut and began to yell.

"Accio!" from the school swept down his trusty broom. He got on and hovered a few feet above the crowd.

"All students who are on a quidditch team, summon your brooms. You will follow me into the air. We are the lookouts and air support."

All of the qudditch players yelled 'accio' and brooms came flying through the air in an ominous pattern.

Ron continued, "Slytherin and Ravenclaw students! You are our swords and spears. You will be the frontline. You will have all wands at the ready. Anything or anyone who gets in your way, you will deal with it harshly and without second thought. All Hufflepuff students! You are our bow and arrows. You will stay behind, to the left and right of our frontline and provide all ranged support. Anything threatens our students and you blast them from a distance. Gryffindors! You are the protectors. You are directly behind the frontline and will keep shielding spells and protective charms on both frontline and ranged combat students. You are also the de facto medics! Anyone falls then you rush in, drag them out, patch them up and call out for a flyer to bring them back to right here. Teachers listen up! You are my corporals and lieutenants. You provide leadership and help the students to keep in formation and provide field advice. You will also keep in contact with me at all times. House-elves, you are the eyes and ears. Stay in hiding and report anything suspicious to the teaching staff and we will deal with it. If you have any questions, it's too bad, 'cause this is war people. Let's move out!"

Not one complaint, not one second guess. Everyone knew their part and everyone was ready to do whatever needed to be done. This ended here and it ended now.