Unofficial Portkey Archive

Reflections by MeiQueen
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Reflections

MeiQueen

-*-

Reflections Mei Queen

-*-

Authoress' Note- This chapter is for Nicola, one of my most loyal fans ever, and yes, that is her name in the Prefect meeting =D. If you want a cameo, you can read and review all my stories like she did, because she is totally awesome!

-*-

Chapter 6: The Last First Day

Sophie Lestrange brushed a stray bit of fringe out of her face, focused intently on the task at hand. It has to be perfect, she thought to herself intently.

This was her last first day of school, and she wanted to make a big impression. So there she stood, cemented in the ground in front of her closet, trying to decide what would prove to be the most difficult question of her 7th year…what should she wear?

Sophie sighed to herself resignedly. I don't know when I became so shallow. I do think about other things, but I've always thought that impressions are extremely vital and important, and I want to make a good one in my last year. Well, I might as well go with my old standby, and then there is no room for error. I can't wait to see everyone again…summer feels like it's lasted forever!

Finally settling on some dark jeans and a white shirt, she turned to head for the shower. This will be an interesting year.

-*-

Sophie could not have been more right. She didn't know yet about the Head appointments, but she definitely had something to say when she arrived late at the Express (as per usual), and finally got to talk with me.

"No way. That's just not possible. What is Dumbledore on?" she had exclaimed sympathetically.

"I don't know. That's exactly what I'm wondering."

"It's a mighty good question, anyway. Don't you have to be somewhere?"

"Oh, yeah, the prefect's compartment. It's okay, usually everyone's a few minutes late at least."

"But this year you're setting the example, Miss Head Girl," Sophie joked with a grin. She could not be more proud of me. She told me that I deserved this spot because I had worked for it tirelessly for seven years. The appointment was the culmination of all of my hard work, she had said. Sophie Lestrange was the best friend anyone could ask for.

"It is kinda awesome," I admitted with a grin.

"Yes, it is! Even if you have to work with Potter. So sorry about that, by the way."

"If it weren't for the unfortunate bits of life we would never appreciate the good, Soph," I said with a sigh, leaning back on the cushioned bench and resting my arms across my chest. Truth be told, I really wasn't that concerned about it. James was a pain, granted, but the last conversation we had had was extremely civil. He had even helped me with my trunk! If that wasn't a total 180 from mindlessly torturing Severus Snape just a few years ago, I didn't know what was! Maybe he actually took my advice about deflating his ego, I found myself thinking.

Though part of me really didn't believe that he cared enough about me to take it upon himself to change just for me, I couldn't find another reasonable explanation for his sudden civility towards me. He was acting much different than he had last year…far more kind and considerate. More mature.

Shrugging off the deep analysis of Potter's personality quirks, I tied my scarlet locks up into a ponytail before getting up for my first official duty as Head Girl- the very first prefects' meeting of the year.

-*-

"So that's basically it, unless anyone has any questions," James summed up simply, running a hand through his hair as he said it, an action that caused me to wince involuntarily. I must get over my pet peeve with Potter's hair one of these days. Really. I'll drive myself bonkers.

Snapping out of my depressed reverie, I threw the prefects my brightest smile, saying, "It's been wonderful meeting you all, and we look forward to the first meeting to get to know you all better. That meeting will be two weeks into the term. Look for the announcement in your respective Common Rooms. And were there any questions for James and I?"

A fifth year Ravenclaw prefect, Nicola McKenna, raised her hand. After my motion to continue, she asked quietly, "What should we do if someone in our house is…worried about…about You-Know-Who and the threat he poses to their families? Is there anything we can say as prefects and leaders to help comfort them?"

James Potter's eyes flashed dangerously at the mention of Voldemort, and his serious expression indicated that he found Nicola's question a good one.

Turning to the petite brunette, I posed the best answer that I possibly could to this grim subject. "I believe that we are, as leaders, responsible for making our students feel safe during their time at Hogwarts. Indicate that you believe their families will be fine-"

"You want us to lie?" Caledon Nott, seventh year Slytherin prefect, interjected.

"Don't interrupt, Nott, it's rude," James said with that quiet voice that indicated that he meant business. "Lily means that we need to create a safe environment for the concerned students. They can't spend the whole year with this miserable rain cloud of worry hanging over their heads, school will be terrible for them that way. We need to do whatever it takes to provide them a haven, and if that requires 'creating the truth', then that's what it requires."

Stunned slightly that he was standing up for me, and more than a little shocked at his maturity, I continued. "Yes, thank you, James. As I was saying, convince them that everyone will be fine, and try to start an activity to keep their minds off of it. You-Know-Who is a threat and everyone knows that, but maybe we can make life here more tolerable by setting good examples."

Nicola nodded, seemingly satisfied with that answer, and leaned back against the cushions.

Fairly confident that that would be the most difficult question of the day, I asked again, "Okay. Any more questions for me and James?"

There was a chorus of shaken heads, and James and I dismissed the prefects to get back to their respective compartments.

"You were pretty good back there, Evans," he said with a grin, showing off his straight white teeth.

"Thanks. Back at you, Potter," I said, returning the smile. I cocked my head to the side a bit, studying him. He had changed over summer. I could see it in the mature way he acted during the meeting. He had things under control all by himself, but he always made sure to include me, regardless. The James Potter I saw today was infinitely different than a year ago; in fact, he had changed everything that I had disliked about him.

Except for his annoying habit of running his hands through his hair, I mused. But I suppose I can't have everything.

-*-

As my shoulder brushed up against Sophie's, I grinned over at my best friend. This was the last time we were going to ride in the carriages up to the school. It was so exciting to think about, but frightening at the same time. What would I be doing at this time next year? Would Sophie and I get a flat together? Would I ever find someone to love, to grow old with? Would I be a mother someday? I didn't know any of the answers, but I remember wondering so vividly.

"Wotcher, Lil. What are you thinking about?" Remus piped up from the other side of the carriage. Sophie and I were sharing a carriage with the "Marauders", at their urging. Sophie and I didn't really have anyone better to go with, so we grudgingly agreed, against our better judgment. It was a bit cramped with two girls and four full-grown boys, but we were making do.

"Nothing much, Remmy. I'm just tired," I said with a faint blush. I no longer liked Remus, but something about his eyes just made me insides melt and sent my concentration right out the window, anyway.

"Yeah. Our Head Girl kicked some serious arse in the prefect meeting today," James said almost affectionately from the other side of the compartment.

"I know. I was there, remember?" Remus asked, annoyed with his friend's attention span.

"Oh, right. I forgot that we have 7th Year prefects," Potter answered, perplexed.

I snorted and smiled over at Sophie, who returned the sentiment. "So, Sophie… how was your holiday?"

"Dull, Lily. Very dull. Too much shopping and stuffy rich people, too little common sense and tolerable company, you know how it is."

"Ugh. I'm sorry, Soph. Sounds terrible."

"Yeah, it really was. I met your mother this holiday, Sirius," she offered.

"Oh really, you saw the mistress of the 'Most Noble and Bloody Old House of Black' then?" Sirius asked, making a face.

"Is that printed on your family tree, because it really should be," Peter piped up with a chuckle.

"I think it's in the fine print there somewhere, yeah."

"I'm amazed I hadn't met your mum before this holiday. I think our mums know one another, but for some reason, I just never met you before we came to Hogwarts. I think we actually might be distantly related," Sophie said thoughtfully, tapping her finger against her chin as she did so.

"Well, that makes the feelings I've been having towards you entirely inappropriate," Sirius replied with a grin.

"Shut it, Black."

-*-

"I am happy to report that the house elves have lost none of their skill over the holiday," Sirius managed between big bites during the start of term feast.

"And I'm glad to hear it," Peter replied with a grin, grabbing a treacle tart.

"So how many NEWT classes did you take, Lily? I have a feeling I'm going to have to drag you away from the library this year," Sophie piped up with a teasing smile, giggling while she said it.

"Oh, hush. And only six, thank you very much."

"Oh, only¸" Remus enunciated with a smile.

"Yes, only. Look who's talking, Mr. Defence Against the Dark Arts prodigy."

"Prodigy? I'm not that great, Lily," he replied, colouring slightly.

"Sure. Keep telling yourself that, Moony," James said with a smile. Looking up, I realized James' eyes were actually on me. Feeling my cheeks heating up, I smiled and looked down at my half-eaten plate. The more I thought about James, the more I began to like thinking about him. All the things that I used to dislike he had certainly seemed to address over the holiday. If he kept up this wonderful maturity, who knows what might happen? Maybe I won't spend this year alone.

-*-

"Lily! What did Minnie just say?" Sirius stage-whispered from my left during Transfiguration the next morning.

"Just ask James, Siri. His notes are right next to you."

"But his aren't as detailed as yours. And I really don't want to talk to him, Lily," he whined in reply.

"Hey!" James interjected, obviously slightly offended.

"I didn't mean it, Prongs…well, I didn't mean it much."

I rolled my eyes and passed Sirius my notes. If I had kept my eyes trained on the notes, I would have noticed something peculiar. But I didn't. Good student that I am, I immediately turned my focus back to Professor McGonagall. I needed all the help I could in Transfiguration. But if I were to have been paying attention to the boys, I would have noticed that Sirius, rather than copying my notes, immediately passed them to James.

James Potter was using my notes to write me a note.

Sirius passed them back to me a few minutes later with a stage-whispered, "You're the best, Lily."

"Thanks," I replied, poising my quill to continue my detailed note taking, not bothering to look down.

If I had looked, I would have noticed the note scrawled in the corner.

Head Girl-

Meet me tonight at 9 in the Common Room.

-*-

"Who do you think it's from?" Sophie asked me quietly, leaning over to talk to me in Potions.

"Keep stirring the cauldron, for bloody's sake. I don't know. Probably Sirius, he had the notes."

"But what would Sirius want with you?"

"Like I'm supposed to know, Soph. I don't even know if I'm going to go, anyway," I said irritably, brushing a stray strand of red hair away from my face.

"You had better if you want me speaking to you tomorrow!"

"Why do you care, Sophie, honestly? It's dumb. It's probably just the Marauders' idea of a ridiculous joke."

"They wouldn't do something cruel to us, you know that. We have Gryffindor immunity, thank you. And I want you to go because it seems like you never take any chances anymore, and I, as future godmother to your hypothetical child…well…would like a future godchild. You're never going to meet anyone at this "study all the time and fun if I can fit it in" pace you've been working at. When was your last date?"

"Probably that ridiculous one with Remus," I replied with a snort.

"Exactly. It couldn't hurt you to see what this guy has to say."

"I guess you're right. Yeah, I'll go. But he better not be late," I replied, grumbling.

James Potter and Sirius Black grinned at each other behind us. They had heard every word.

-*-