Unofficial Portkey Archive

Divinity Forensis by RogueBHS
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Divinity Forensis

RogueBHS

Divinity Forensis

By: RogueBHS

Chapter 3 - "What You Deserve"

Author Notes: Another new chapter. Suddenly, this one is getting almost no reviews, but anyone who does asks for more chapters. And given that there is no way I'd get this idea out of my head, I'm more than happy to oblige. LOL. Hope everyone enjoys!

Just a note to those who are curious, the coven Viktor rules is a part of the Vampire Clan, Ventrue. Want more info? Go here: http://amaranth.wehostmuds.com/clans.html

And Lucian's Werewolf den is of the Children of Gaia (or Spiral) tribe. Info here: http://amaranth.wehostmuds.com/tribes.html

The site that talks about the Vampire clans also goes into their Disciplines, or special powers they either inherit or can be taught. Those will be mentioned frequently, and upon their first mention, likely given an explanation of exactly what they do.

Disclaimer: I do not in any way shape or form own any of the ideas or characters from Harry Potter or Underworld. There are original characters involved, in minor rolls, which I do own, as they are my own RPG characters that I created. I'm also borrowing (with permission) a friend of mine's male RPG characters, whom he owns.

Notice: Any songs or spells used in a chapter will be listed at the end of it, just as in "Faith." Numbers in parenthesis indicates a song, letters in parenthesis indicates spells or excerpts from the books.

Full Summary: Harry's summer at the Dursley's has never been worse; Vernon is drinking heavily and using him for a punching bag (again), and Petunia is acting like nothing is wrong. And the Order seems to have forgotten him completely, despite their claims at King's Cross Station. Can he survive the summer alone? Or will it take drastic measures to keep him alive?

Main characters: Harry, Hermione, Ron, Dumbledore, Snape, Lupin. From Underworld: Selene, Kraven, Viktor, Marcus, Amelia, Lucian, and Kahn.

~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*

Viktor's mansion -

During the next week before the train left for Hogwarts, Harry all but locked himself in the training room, going over the things he had been taught this summer. His trunk was almost packed and ready, aside from the few items he knew he'd need. Viktor and Selene had promised to get blood to him on a regular basis so he'd be able to retain his more human skin tone, and prevent feeding upon the students. The trunk, however, was a new one, made like that which the Imposter of Mad-Eye Moody had used in Harry's forth year. The first compartment housed the many books he now owned, including his Hogwarts books for the past 5 years, and a few from the vampire's library which Viktor was allowing him to keep. The second compartment housed his Hogwarts things...cauldron, marauder's map, invisibility cloak, potion's supplies and what not. The third was his new wardrobe, right down to his replica of a Death Dealer's uniform, which never failed to turn heads. The forth was for his new weapons, gifts from the vampires and Lycans. Its contents were something he couldn't reveal to just anyone, but they were made to function in both magic and Muggle environments. Guns ranging in size, swords of various metals, daggers, throwing knives and Merlin only knew what else the compartment had filled to capacity. The fifth compartment was smaller than the others, and housed his laptop, portable CD player, cell phone, and other small electronics.

Speaking of which, he realized, he still needed to find the charm to make those work at Hogwarts. As of yet, the sixth and seventh compartments were fairly empty, holding only the remnants of what he had been carrying the night Lucian turned him and a few things he had gone back to Privet Drive to get in the middle of the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~***FLASHBACK***~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Viktor, I NEED those things! One of them is the only gift my godfather could ever get for me!"

One pale blonde eyebrow rose at this, remembering the stories Harry had been telling since he regained his memory fully. It was obvious, every time he spoke of those he had left behind, that of all of them, his Godfather had held a very special place in his heart, and not only because of the link to his father. Looking behind Harry to where Selene and Kahn stood, he sighed, and then nodded. "Take Selene and Kahn with you, and make sure to do this late. No need for you to be seen."

Harry had smiled then, his green eyes blazing with life. "I doubt that will be a problem," he said, and then disappeared into shadow. "Thanks, Viktor..." The voice seemed to come from everywhere at once, and even though he couldn't see the young man, Viktor knew Harry was planning something devious for his aunt and uncle.

Once the trio had finally made it to Privet Drive, via Harry's powers, it took no time for Harry to get inside of the house and let in Selene and Kahn, who each carried a bottomless bag that Harry had bought days earlier in Diagon Alley, while under a glamour charm. The house was nearly silent, if not for the sound of Uncle Vernon and Dudley's snores. But the two vampires and their companion were completely silent, their footsteps so light that even in the tiled hallway there was no sound. Upon reaching his own room, Harry pushed the door open, finding it exactly as he had left it. Obviously the Order hadn't been by to pick up anything, which was a relief. Hedwig was still gone, presumably with the Order, or so he hoped anyway.

Pushing open the lid to his trunk, Harry pulled out his treasured Firebolt from its place in top, setting it aside to travel with him, then reached down, pulling out school books left and right, tossing them into Kahn's bag. Finally he reached his uniforms, and while he was certain they'd be too short, he could at least send them to Madam Malkin in Diagon Alley for reuse. Those too went into a bag, followed by his Broomstick Care kit, and anything else he felt he might need. Standing, he moved to his desk, and gently placed Hedwig's cage in the top of the bag, knowing he'd meet up with his owl at Hogwarts. Once the two bags were tied shut, Harry lifted his broomstick from his bed, and walked out of the bedroom for the final time.

Despite the temptation, Harry didn't do anything to his uncle in retribution. Instead, he pulled a piece of paper from by the kitchen phone, and wrote his aunt a brief note.

******

Dear Aunt Petunia,

Seems you're rid of me for good now. No matter what Dumbledore may say about it, I won't return to this house while Uncle Vernon still lives here. If you ever need me, I'm sure Hedwig will find you to bring me a note. Thanks for what you did this summer. I know you risked your own neck by doing so.

Harry

******

With the note finished and placed where only his aunt would find it (in the broom closet), Harry sighed deeply, taking one last look around the house. Finally, he looked to Selene and Kahn, and with a nod, all three disappeared out the front door and into the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~***END FLASHBACK***~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Removing himself from the training room, Harry walked through the common area of the mansion, his form drawing the stares of many. His power of Presence was beyond heightened, and at times when he used it, even Viktor found himself hard-pressed to fight it. Being born from a coven of the Ventrue clan had its advantages, especially given that his sire was the childe of one of the most powerful Ventrue known. His history lessons on the vampires and their clans and sires had been more than enlightening, and had proved much easier to sit through than one of the history lessons at Hogwarts. Then again, the fact that it was taught by a living, breathing person who would answer questions and acknowledges you instead of a ghost who just rambled on did make a difference. Lucian's history lessons of the Lycan/Werewolf tribes had been just as interesting, as Harry was certain that nothing of the sort would ever be taught at Hogwarts.

Taking the main staircase, Harry sighed as he thought of Hogwarts. In two days time, he'd be back within the school he'd called home for the past 5 years, and back amongst his friends. But how would they react to his new ways? Hermione, he was certain, would jump at the chance to learn all about him and the history of the vampires and werewolves, standing by him despite the new thirst for blood. Ron, however, was a different story. Due to the fact he had grown up in a Wizarding family and all, he held the same prejudices as most other wizards. Even upon first learning of Remus or Hagrid's parentage, he had balked in fear, despite having known them first as kind-hearted people. Others who might find out, Harry wasn't as worried about, but having had Hermione and Ron at his side for so long, it was hard to imagine them not being there.

I guess I'll just have to break it to Ron as gently as possible, preferably with a teacher or two present...After all, McGonagall, Dumbledore and a few others will need to know about this, Harry thought. Hermione I'll tell in private, he resolved. This way Ron can't laugh at her for asking questions and everything...I know she hates it when he does that. Speaking of Dumbledore...Harry remembered Dumbledore's face upon realizing that the Immortal was on the doorstep of Grimmauld Place. Man, I wish I'd had a camera or something. He's going to have to be seated when I tell him what I am, without doubt. I mean, this boy he's been telling has to defeat the dark lord or die is already dead because he was stupid and didn't send anyone to check on me physically. That's a hell of a thing to drop on a person after all. Even if it is his own fault.

Entering the suite that had been assigned to him, Harry walked to a corner of the living area, picking up an electric guitar. While checking the amp, Harry mused idly on the way vampires seemed to appreciate music more than anyone he'd known. But then again, they'd seen so many changes in the genres of music, and even inspired them in the case of the newer hard rock bands, that it made perfect sense that they'd enjoy it. Sliding the sling of the guitar over his head, Harry walked to the nearby keyboard and hit a series of buttons that had rock music coming from the speakers shortly after. Adjusting the volume to the level he wanted, Harry moved a few steps away, and at a cue in the other music, he started playing the guitar and singing.

"I can't seem to find out what I feel
Burned out dreams of others which I can steal
Take or leave this way I seem to you, it eats right through you
Ripped up parts of things I should do, I'll run around and tell you screaming

Oh I live a lie, oh I live a lie, oh why even try
I've been leaving thoughts below
Still I feel I should know

Still don't see much of me giving in
Much too strong to live outside of these sins
Feeling like I'm taken lightly, think you see right through me
Words of those who still despise me, think it's eating me you're dreaming

Oh I live a lie, oh I live a lie, oh why even try
I've been leaving thoughts below
Still I feel I should know

When I seem to believe all that I've done wrong
You can take all that's right I will still move on
Taken all I can give it seems that I don't belong
Push me further from this go on

Oh I live a lie, oh I live a lie, oh why even try
I've been leaving thoughts below
Still I feel I should know" (1)

Without pause, the keyboard went into another song, having been programmed to run through a certain number of songs.

"I don't wanna make this
Harder than I have to
This is how it has to be
There's so many things I want to say
But you just don't listen to me

I don't want to hurt you
You don't want to hurt me
I can't stand you
And you can't stand me
We can't rearrange
You can never change me
Say goodbye
Nothing I say could change your mind because

I can't stay
Tomorrow I'll be on my way
So don't expect to find me sleeping in my bed
'Cuz when you wake up
I won't be there
I won't be there

Everything I say
You find a way to make it
Sound like I was born just yesterday
Everything you taught me
Doesn't mean a thing
So I'm going my way

I don't want to hurt you
You don't want to hurt me
I can't stand you
And you can't stand me
We can't rearrange
You can never change me
Say goodbye
Nothing I say could change your mind because

I can't stay
Tomorrow I'll be on my way
So don't expect to find me sleeping in my bed
'Cuz when you wake up
I won't be there
I won't be there

This is the last night
That I spend at home
And it won't take too long
For you to notice
Won't take long for you to find out
That I'm gone

I can't stay
Tomorrow I'll be on my way
So don't expect to find me sleeping in my bed
'Cuz when you wake up
I won't be there
I won't be there


I can't stay
Tomorrow I'll be on my way
So don't expect to find me sleeping in my bed
'Cuz when you wake up
I won't be there
I won't be there" (2)

Sighing, Harry reached over to turn off the keyboard, and then bent down to turn off the amp as well. The two songs, written with Selene's help had cleansed him a bit, and sorted out thoughts in his head. At Hogwarts, Harry wasn't sure how he'd continue the music, but knew he'd have to. The combination of the prophecy and Sirius' death still loomed over him, begging to be dealt with. And while he wasn't sure how he could deal with either of them, the prophecy seemed the easiest to focus on. At least that had a straight-forward message. Kill or be killed. Mind you, thanks to the lycan doctor's research and his new powers, dispensing of Voldemort would likely be easier than he had thought it would be before.

Yeah, right, Harry thought. Killing someone...even him...just isn't my way. I cringe at the thought of feeding on humans or cattle and I'm a freakin' vampyre/werewolf crossbreed! If I can't kill someone to survive for food, how can I be expected to kill someone just because some stupid prophecy says so? Sighing, he put the guitar aside and stretched out on a special-order seven foot long leather couch, propping his head up on the armrest. I really hope I can see Dumbledore right after the feast or something. Much as I hate it, he's the only one who can give me the answers I need now. Viktor and Lucian have taught me what they can. Smirking, he closed his eyes. Merlin help me the day Dumbledore runs out of answers. And drifted off into a sort of slumber that was unparalleled in the mortal realm.

__________________________________________________________________

King's Cross Station, September 1st -

As the train's main clock chimed away the fact that it was now 10:30, a red-headed family hurried through the station towards the platforms 9 and 10. Behind them, a man who looked as if he'd seen better days and a younger woman took their time, eyes watchful for who knows what. Then, without warning, as the clock ticked its way to 10:35, the family and two followers were gone. Reappearing on Platform 9 3/4, the Weasleys, Hermione, Remus and Tonks hurried towards the train, all of them looking for a familiar head of black hair to no avail. It seemed that despite what the Immortal had told them, Harry hadn't made it to the train station yet. Hermione, Ron and Ginny claimed a compartment with Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood near the back, and went back onto the platform to look around for Harry. When the clock showed 10:56, Mrs. Weasley herded the children onto the train, putting on a brave face and reassuring herself as much as them as she said that surely Harry would get to Hogwarts just fine.

But as the train pulled out of the station, Mrs. Weasley waited a until the compartment holding her children was out of sight before turning to her husband and crying into his shoulder. At that moment, knowing Harry never made it to the station, it was like going through the shock of finding that the Ministry had declared him dead all over again.

__________________________________________________________________

On the Train -

In the compartment, the mood was subdued and clouded with grief. Hermione leaned into Ron, seeking comfort from the brotherly embrace he offered. Earlier in the summer, the two had shared a single moment in which they acted upon the crush-like feelings they'd had for each other since third or forth year, only to find the feelings were gone. And now, with Harry presumed dead, each needed the emotional support of the other more than ever. Across from them, Ginny quietly looked out of the window, expression crest-fallen at the fact Harry hadn't shown. She, like the others, was unwilling to accept the idea of Harry being dead. If he was, Voldemort would've known by now, and would have struck hard, Dumbledore or no. Neville, after confirming with Ron that the Daily Prophet's news was correct, had sat down on the other side of Ginny, his expression blank. Even Luna, who was normally quite unmoved by events seemed down, her protuberant blue eyes not even moving to read the newest issue of the Quibbler in her hands.

During the course of the ride, various DA members dropped in, and all walked away disappointed to find the boy they'd hoped to see wasn't present. Some, like Cho, were worse than the others. Cho Chang, who had already lost one boyfriend to Voldemort, was reduced to tears at the idea of Harry really being gone. It had taken Ginny and Hermione both reassuring her and talking to her for a good half an hour before she calmed down enough too rejoin her friends. But near the end of the journey to Hogwarts, a highly unwelcome but nevertheless expected group forced themselves into the doorway of the compartment.

Sneering, Draco Malfoy looked over the five. "Guess Pot-head really did kick the bucket then," he said, ignoring the way Ron and Neville's hands moved to pull out their wands. "I mean, he'd never leave you lot unprotected otherwise, right?" Draco paused to laugh now, sending his cohorts, Crabbe and Goyle into a fit of laughter that sounded more like angry monkeys than anything. Looking down at Ron and Hermione, Draco leaned in, his grey eyes sparking with glee at the fact Harry was missing.

"Guess the little trio's down to two, isn't it?" Pulling back, he smirked. "And such an ugly couple you make, too...the mudblood and the blood traitor. You make me sick," he finished, and disappeared from the compartment before Ron could figure out a good hex to use.

Seeing Hermione's distraught look, Ron pushed thoughts of how to kill or otherwise maim Draco to the back of his mind and pulled her back to his side where she cried softly. "S'ok, Hermione. Harry can't be dead...he just can't be...Draco was just tryin' to get to us..."

"I know," Hermione said, hiccupping in the process as she wiped at tears. "I just wish we knew where he is..."

Ron allowed a soft laugh to pass his lips. "That sounds like the Hermione I know...can't stand not knowing everything about everything."

Hermione lifted her head now, wiping away the last few stray tears. "Yeah...but this I can't find in a book..."

__________________________________________________________________

As the train pulled into Hogsmeade Station, Hagrid gathered the first year students to him as he was to do, waving half-heartedly at Ron and Hermione as they stepped from the train. Herding the first years into boats, Hagrid searched for the head of black hair next to the red and brown, and upon not seeing it, pulled the pink umbrella from his huge coat, and pointed it at the castle. A blast of light came from the tip, surprising some of the students, namely those who knew Hagrid wasn't to use magic, and then the umbrella was placed back into the coat as if nothing had happened. The blast of light continued on to Hogwarts though, as if it was a shooting star, finally fading as it passed through the castle walls. Slowly, the older students climbed into the thestral-drawn carriages, and when they were all filled, the ghostly horses made their way towards the castle.

Inside Hogwarts, the second through seventh year students passed Professor McGonagall on her way to collect the first years, and none missed the pitying look she shot at Ron and Hermione as they walked by. Entering the Great Hall, there wasn't a single black banner in sight, as there normally was upon the death of a student or professor, surprising many. If it wasn't obvious that Dumbledore refused to believe that Harry Potter was dead before, it certainly was now. And so with some confusion, the students took their seats at the house tables, all noticing the empty spot at the Gryffindor table normally reserved for the head of the Golden Trio. Once everyone was seated, McGonagall entered with the first years trailing behind her, whispering to each other and trying to ignore the stares of the older students and professors.

Upon reaching the raised platform where the teachers table was located, all in the hall turned their attention to the Sorting Hat, which was seated upon the usual three-legged stool. It went through its song for the year, which of course warned of the dangers of a divided Hogwarts, and ended with a proclamation that peace between houses was absolutely necessary. After the song, Professor McGonagall pulled a roll of parchment from her robes, and called off the names of the first years to be sorted. When finally, "Young, Brighton," was seated at the Ravenclaw table, all turned their heads to Dumbledore, waiting now for his beginning of term announcements, only to have to turn back to the doors of the Great Hall as they swung open.

The ensuing silence was palpable. There, in the doorway stood the one young man all had wondered over for nearly the entirety of the summer. The multiple changes in him, from his startling new height and muscled frame, to the shaggy black hair that now covered his scar were taken in no small amount of shock. But the sparkling green eyes that shone clearly from under the black fringe were undoubtedly those of Harry Potter. No one was sure how he could suddenly be here, standing in the doorway dressed in his Hogwarts robes, but he was. After a long bit of silence in which everyone stared at him, Harry took a single step forward, allowing the doors to bang shut behind him. His eyes met the startled pale blue ones of the headmaster, and he gave a hint of a grin.

"Sorry I'm late...Missed the train again," he said simply, his tone light as if he hadn't been missing at all.

With his words, the hall buzzed into life again, but a squeal from the Gryffindor table drew attention. Then, Hermione was up out of her seat and running straight for Harry. The parallel between this and second year when Hermione had been petrified wasn't missed by anyone. Upon reaching Harry, Hermione all but jumped into Harry's now outstretched arms, only to find herself lifted from the floor and pulled into a tight hug. Frightened of falling, and not caring about the supposed indecency of it, her legs wrapped around his waist in a vice-like grip, her Hogwarts robes thankfully keeping things from truly looking indecent.

As the familiar scent of Hermione washed over him, intensified now with his senses as they were, Harry buried his face into the crook of her neck as he held her. He could feel those legs of hers wrapped around his waist, and moved his hands lower, keeping her better balanced. The sounds of the great hall washed over him, but then were drowned out as Hermione said something right next to his ear.

"Never, ever, ever do that again..." she whispered. "I can't stand it."

Pulling back now, Harry gave her a smile. "I promise...I didn't really enjoy being away from you much either. But I had to do it, Mione...I'll explain later, but just know I had to."

Slowly, he set her back down, and the two made their way to the Gryffindor table. The two slid into their respective seats, Hermione now taking the place right next to Harry as if scared he'd suddenly disappear again otherwise. Finally, Dumbledore stood up from his seat, eyes still upon the black-haired Gryffindor boy for another moment before he finally swept his gaze over the room.

"In light of Mr. Potter's return, the speech I had planned is no longer relevant," Dumbledore began, noticing that he had Harry's undivided attention. "But before I really get into things, let us welcome him back." There was a sudden chorus of "Welcome backs" and clapping from professors and students alike, that at any other time would have likely sent the normally shy boy into hiding. Instead, Harry stayed put, his hand grabbing blindly for Hermione's for support as he accepted the welcome. Perhaps being the "Lord" of werewolves and vampires has done me some good, Harry mused, a slight smirk curving his lips as everyone settled down. At least I can handle the attention now.

His eyes again met those of the headmaster, and he raised an eyebrow, waiting for the man to continue.

"In these dark times, I shouldn't have to remind any of you to stay clear of the Forbidden forest. However," he gave a wry glance in the Trio's direction at this. "Some of you have a hard time remembering this fact. So I will say it again, as much for some of our older students as for our first years. Also, as many of you witnessed given what happened to Ms. Umbridge last year, the Centaurs are restless and will not stand for students entering their territory." A few of the older students chucked at this, remembering clearly the state Umbridge had been in upon her return from the forest. His speech rambled on for a while, covering the full extent of what precautions should be taken with the return of Voldemort, and telling/reminding all that anything from Weasley Wizarding Wheezes was strictly forbidden to be used in the halls or risk the wrath of the caretaker, Filch.

When Dumbledore was seated and the feast really began, those closest to Harry pelted him with questions about his summer, wondering where he'd been, what he'd done and all that. He allowed them to blurt out their list of inquiries, smirking the entire time. And none of them noticed the way the food on his plate remained untouched, except for Hermione who grew more and more worried as he seemed to not even care it was sitting there. Finally, during a lull, she leaned towards him and whispered in his ear.

"You ok?"

Frowning, he tilted his head towards her. "What do you mean?" he whispered back, curious.

"You're not eating..."

"Oh..." he seemed to realize this, and glanced at her. "Just not hungry I guess..."

Laying a hand on his shoulder, completely unaware of the watching and jealous eyes of their best friend, she gave Harry a concerned look. "You sure? I mean, if you're not, you're not, but...no offense of course, but you're almost as bad as Ron at the feast."

Catching her real concern in her tone, Harry turned his head to her now, giving a reassuring smile. "I'm fine, I swear. But...well...it has to do with what I've got to tell you later...I figure I'll tell you when I do Dumbledore or something. He's gonna wanna talk to me after that entrance of mine."

Smiling, she nodded, allowing her tone to return to normal now. "I'm sure he will..."

"Who's gonna what?" Ron asked, drawing Harry and Hermione's attention back to him.

"Oh..." Harry seemed to pause a second longer than necessary, then glanced at his friend. "Dumbledore...I figure he's gonna wanna talk to me about my entrance and summer and all..."

"So do us," Ron said, gesturing between himself and Hermione. "I mean, you're our best mate and all of a sudden you disappear on us? We thought you were dead."

Harry hung his head, glancing at the two from under his bangs. "I heard as much...I just...I couldn't...I didn't..." He sighed, and then tried again. "Without Hedwig around I couldn't very well send you a note really...I figured you'd be at his house," Harry said, putting emphasis on the word 'his,' knowing Ron and Hermione would know who he was referring to.

"But still...nothing? At all? For what? 2-3 months?!" Ron seemed to be getting more upset as he went on, and so in order to prevent an explosion from happening in the middle of dinner at the table, Harry raised his hand to silence his friend.

"Look...I can't explain here ok? Wait till after dinner..."

Ron seemed about to fight it when Harry pinned him with a meaningful stare, and Ron sighed heavily. "Alright," he said, and then pointed his fork at Harry in a threatening manor. "But you better answer all our questions or I'm gonna hex you."

Smirking, Harry raised an eyebrow. "You're forgetting that I can take you in a duel easy...it'd be scarier to have Hermione or Ginny threatening me."

At this point, both girls leaned in, a glint in their eyes. "Oh we will," Ginny informed him. "I mean, with not even Dumbledore knowing where you are exactly? That's going to take a good bit of explanation."

"I know, Ginny."

The way he said that ended the conversation, and it seemed that Ron, Hermione and Ginny sped up their eating in hopes of being able to hear this story of his sooner. But rather than attempt to eat the food that before was so appetizing, Harry only pushed it around his plate. Then, the smell of a slightly undercooked steak caught his attention, and after sliding off a huge portion of mashed potatoes, Harry pulled the steak onto his plate, and tore into it, actually able to enjoy the flavor of this, with its undertones of lingering blood. Upon seeing his friend eating the still red/pink-tinged steak, Ron made a face.

"What on earth are you doing mate?" He pulled the platter of steak closer and was about to push one that was more well done onto Harry's plate when Harry looked up, and frowned.

"I'm eating...and this is all I want..." Harry used his fork to block the steak Ron was trying to push onto his plate. "But thanks."

"Since when do you eat your steaks medium-rare?" Hermione asked, curious.

"Umm...never really cared one way or the other actually," Harry fibbed.

Hermione was about to question this, having seen him toss meat cooked the same way back onto a platter before, but sighed in resignation when Harry pinned her with a mild glare. "Whatever you say, Harry."

Relieved that she wasn't going to push the matter, Harry finished off the steak with a flourish, and it took more than a small amount of self control to keep from licking up the remaining blood on his plate. But that small amount of blood was enough to sustain him for now, and allowed him to relax, knowing he didn't have to hurry back to Gryffindor tower to grab a bag of the blood Viktor had sent with him in a special ice chest full of bags of blood and dry ice. Sitting back now, Harry let his eyes gaze around the Great Hall, knowing that he was still holding a good deal of attention even as people worked their way through the feast.

When desert showed up, and Harry again took nothing, Hermione shot him another worried glance, but this time kept her mouth shut, realizing that to push him right now wasn't a smart thing to do. While the others enjoyed their desert, Harry glanced up to the Head table, and was unsurprised to find Dumbledore was constantly looking his way, despite carrying on a conversation with Professor McGonagall. Smirking, he glanced to Hagrid, and waved at the half-giant when he caught him looking. Making sure his power of presence was turned off, Harry sighed. Too bad I can't just fade outta here, Harry thought. I mean, with everyone watching me, they'd know I was gone, and I don't think anyone's ever left in the middle of a feast before. Then his eyes glanced to Hermione and Ron, and he knew exactly how they'd react were he to use his power of Obfuscate to disappear from sight. And knowing, he couldn't bring himself to do so, no matter how tempting it was.

It took a good half an hour, but finally the desert too disappeared, and standing, Professor Dumbledore excused all students to return to their dorms. Then, for the first time in anyone's memory, he asked for four students to stay back. Having expected it, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny all stayed where they were, waiting for the hall to empty. When finally the only remaining students were filing out of the door, Professor McGonagall came forward, collecting them.

"I should warn you, Mr. Potter, Professor Dumbledore was going to contact Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, as well as Remus and have them join us," McGonagall told him, her own more forest green eyes peering at him through her square-rimmed glasses.

After a moments pause, in which he bit back the urge to swear, Harry nodded grimly. "I figured he might."

It didn't take long before they were standing at the entrance to Dumbledore's office, and Ron couldn't help glancing at his friend. "Bet you were hoping to stay away from this place for a bit longer into the year, eh mate?"

Smiling a bit at Ron's attempted humor, Harry shrugged. "Doesn't matter to me anymore...He wouldn't have me come in here if there wasn't a good reason, so..." He paused while McGonagall gave the password, and then continued talking to Ron. "And it's not like I've been in huge trouble every time I've been in here."

"True," Ron conceded as they walked up the steps to the office. "But still, not many good memories of this place to me."

At that, Harry's entire posture changed, going from straight backed yet relaxed to a more tense form. Sirius. "I don't need a reminder, Ron," he retorted sharply, causing Ron to react as if slapped.

"Sorry mate...not thinking."

"You rarely do," Hermione cut in, moving to grab a hold of Harry's arm and guide him into the office when Dumbledore called out for them to enter. "Ignore him," Hermione whispered, giving Harry a hint of a smile. "Teaspoon, remember?"

The memory of Hermione telling Ron he had the emotional range of a teaspoon came back, and Harry smiled. "Yeah...right," he whispered back, then stopped just short of Dumbledore's desk, Hermione still at his side, her hand on his arm.

Dumbledore may have requested that just Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, and Remus come, but that wasn't how things turned out. Instead, Snape stood a few feet away, obviously hoping to see Harry punished. To Remus' right, Tonks was all but bouncing now, seeing Harry alive, and Harry had to bite back a laugh at her enthusiasm and energy that seemed boundless. Even Mad-Eye had joined the group, standing back from the crowd as Snape did.

"Good t' see ya alive, Potter," Mad-Eye said, his magical eye roving over Harry, likely checking for any signs of him being an imposter.

"Oh Harry dear," Mrs. Weasley sobbed, and was about to move forward to Harry when Dumbledore held up his hand.

"While I know you want to make sure he's alright, Molly," Dumbledore began, "I feel we should get his story out of the way as soon as possible. Its already late, and they do have classes to attend tomorrow."

"Of course," Molly said, backing up to sit next to her husband in a chair conjured by Professor McGonagall, but it was obvious she still itched to smother Harry in a hug and reassure herself he was alright.

Finally, everyone took a seat, except for Harry. He glanced idly at the chair conjured, then looked to Dumbledore. "I'll stand thanks."

To his credit, Professor Dumbledore only raised an eyebrow, and then had the chair disappear with a wave of his wand. "I think you know I expect you to start at the beginning and tell me anything you can remember, am I correct?"

Harry nodded, and then began pacing the office as he started talking. "When I first got back to the Dursleys' house, I wasn't really expecting them to take things too easy on me, warning from the Order or no. It's just not their way, after all." Harry snorted, shaking his head. "And I was right. We hadn't been in the house ten minutes when Uncle Vernon pulled me aside, informing me that no 'dumb freaks' were going to boss him around." There was a mild growl from Remus' direction, and Harry remembered the full moon was fast approaching...That explains it, he decided, and continued. "I was given a list of things he expected me to do every day...chores...and none of them particularly easy or fun. The list included things like keeping the front walk and the short brick wall out there scrubbed down...and he meant scrubbed...as in on my hands and knees with a toothbrush. He wanted me up at 6 every morning to cook their breakfast, which I was right in believing I'd get little if any of...Only whatever Dudley and Vernon didn't eat...and those two can shame Ron in an eating contest."

He heard Mrs. Weasley start to cry softly, and forced himself to block it out. "If not for my aunt, I probably would've gone without any food. But she snuck me things when Vernon and Dudley weren't around. Never much at one time, but enough to keep me going. Well...until..." it was now he realized he couldn't tell them everything...not all at once. Dumbledore prompted him to continue, but Harry frowned as he stood in one place now, trying to decide what to cut to tell at another time.

"Harry?"

Hermione's soft tone broke into his thoughts, and he glanced at her. How was he to tell her of what his Uncle had done? The beatings? The drinking? Her heart, no matter how she tried to hide it, was still pure and full of innocence. How on earth could he show her...tell her, of how her own best friend had endured these things? But then he took one look at Dumbledore and realized the old wizard would know the second he wasn't telling him everything.

"Sir...do they have to hear all of this? You...well, I know I need to tell the full story to, but..."

"There are things you don't want them to know?"

"Exactly," Harry answered, nodding.

"Harry, you can tell us anything," Remus said from his spot near Dumbledore's desk. "You should know that."

Hanging his head, Harry sighed. "It's not as simple as that Remus." Finally, he raised his head again to meet the werewolf's eyes. "Full moon is close, right?"

Remus seemed surprised that Harry knew this, but nodded anyway.

"If I was to tell you everything...and I mean everything...you'd likely be tempted to go and rip out Uncle Vernon's throat with your bare hands."

"Are you saying he..."

"Please...don't ask."

"Too late," Remus answered.

Harry looked to Mrs. Weasley for aid, but for once, she seemed to side with Remus. And her facial expression was slowly bordering on absolutely murderous, obviously over what she was assuming his relatives did to him. Then again, not much they didn't do, Harry realized.

"Alright...Alright," he conceded, lowering his head again. "As I was saying...Aunt Petunia kept me fed enough to do the chores Uncle Vernon asked...but well, doesn't do much good when he kept punishing me." A wry smile crossed his lips. "Took me only two days to realize why he was acting so...well...brutal, really." His eyes raised now. "Liquor...large quantities...daily...almost hourly. Kinda hard not to smell it on the guy's breathe when he's got his face barely six inches from mine and is spitting at me while he barks out his orders."

In the corner, Harry noticed Snape moving as if highly uncomfortable. He never knew, Harry decided. Snape really never had any idea what my summers were like...How stupid could he be? I mean, I come back skinny as a fucking rail every year, after all.

"Of course, the chores and starving were just the beginning. I was only at Privet Drive five days." He paused, looking at Dumbledore. "The final day I spent mostly unconscious."

"WHAT?!"

At the yelled word, Harry spun abruptly to face an angry Remus. "You heard me," he said calmly. "Days one and two Uncle Vernon used me as a human punching bag." Harry raised pulled his hair back from his face, and Remus nearly fell back in surprise. There, on the formerly unmarred face, were a few new scars, pale against his skin. "From day three of my stay, mind you, when Vernon pushed me face first into a pile of glass that was once one of Aunt Petunia's prized vases." The hair fell back into place as Harry moved his hand. "Same day, he took a Muggle golf club and used it to the back of my knees. Could barely stand." From her spot near Ron, he could hear Hermione starting to cry, and forced himself not to look at her. "Day four...I slept in...didn't mean to mind you, but Vernon had forced me out of bed at ten the night before to clean the kitchen again. Which meant I hadn't gotten to bed until midnight or so."

Sighing, Harry ran a hand through his hair. "Uncle Vernon got beyond angry at me for sleeping in...I kept falling to the floor every time I tried to get up...my legs just wouldn't hold me up. Well...he comes busting into my room, and when he sees me on the floor, he grabs me by the back of my neck and hauls me up, holding me a bit off the ground. Carried me to the top of the stairs, bellowed that I was to go help my aunt, and then gave me a little push, hoping to make me hurry up." He gave a dry, humorless laugh. "Hurried me up, alright. I fell down the stairs, hit my head at least once...then came to a crashing halt at the first landing, ramming into the wall. Last thing I remember that day is a picture falling off the wall and hitting me too. Next thing I know...I'm waking up in the back yard under some hedgerows."

As he got closer to the part of the story he was dreading having to tell them, he resumed his pacing of the office. "After that, when I did wake up, I snuck into the house and got some stuff...clothes, a little food...things I wasn't about to leave in that house, given that I had no idea if and when my relatives would return. Made me mad that I couldn't do magic though, as I hated the idea of leaving my Firebolt behind." He gave a slight snort in amusement at his own thinking, and then continued his story. "I managed to get away from Privet Drive pretty easily...remembered to go the opposite direction of Ms. Figg so I wasn't caught sooner than I wanted to be. I had some Muggle money left over from when I changed it in Gringotts, and used that to get to London...ended up there three days after I left Privet Drive. I was able to get a touristy map of the area and found a place where teens who visit Europe tend to sleep...free quarters pretty much and what not. But before I could get there I was passing a night club and saw a girl who looked a good bit like Hermione."

He glanced in his friends' direction for the first time during all of this, and saw her looking up at him, curious. "Granted I knew the girl couldn't be Hermione and all, but I did a double take anyway. Guess the girl's boyfriend didn't like that, because next thing I knew he was punching me in the jaw. Given my other injuries I fell down pretty quick, and he gave me a kick in the ribs for good measure, then I guess he and his girl left, cause when I finally was able to get up again, they were no where in sight. But there was this guy...kinda reminded me of Remus, actually. Brown hair, kinda scruffy looking." He gave the werewolf a grin at this, but it wasn't returned. Instead, Harry could tell Remus was definitely fighting the urge to do just as Harry had predicted he might upon hearing of Vernon's treatment.

Lowering his head again, Harry gave a slight yawn. "The guy helped me up, and then disappeared all of a sudden, before I could thank him. At first, I thought he was a wizard, and that was enough to have me hiding. I was pretty sure that the second any of you found me, I'd end up back at Privet Drive faster than I could blink almost. My hiding place, however, was anything but brilliantly chosen." He snorted at the understatement. "It was an alley...and I was near the back, halfway hidden behind some trash bins. I was in the middle of looking for the last bit of food I had with me, when I heard a growling noise...sounded like a mad dog. So I reached for my wand, but it was gone. When I braved the chance to look, what I saw was not exactly a dog..."

He trailed off there, not daring to meet anyone's eyes. "It was a werewolf...in search of a meal. And given my weakened state, I guess he figured I'd be an easy catch." Here, all the women in the room gave a startled gasp as if on some unsaid cue. "Without my wand, wasn't much I could do." Here, Harry realized, he was speaking of the incident with a sort of detachment, as if it was nothing more than a story...make believe. But he didn't think he'd get through it otherwise, and continued in the same fashion. "He bit into me...started to drain me. But...and I guess I'll never full understand how this happened, because there was no breeze that night...but my hair moved, and he must've seen my scar. Granted, I passed out about that point...seemed to do that a lot this past summer actually." Now I'm making light of it, Harry thought. Great...

Remus stared at him. "Are you saying that you...he..."

Sighing yet again, Harry nodded. "Yeah...I am."

At those words, Remus sunk to the floor, eyes wide and staring at Harry still.

Sensing the thoughts that had to be running through Remus' mind, Harry walked over, kneeling down. "Don't even think it, Remus."

Startled, the man blinked. "How...?"

"Been there, done that..." He frowned. "You'd have my arse if I blamed myself for Sirius dying...saying I let him down and what not. So you can't do anything of the sort either."

Before either could continue, a silky voice carried from the dark corner of the office.

"I do believe this poses a problem, headmaster." Snape's cold black eyes seemed to glitter at the idea that now, after all his failed attempts; he might be able to be rid of Harry. "A werewolf, especially one so recently sired can not be allowed to roam our halls."

"Oh, that won't be a problem," Harry said, standing back up now, enjoying how he now towered over the Potion's master.

Curious, Dumbledore looked to Harry. "And why not?"

"Umm...you all need to move back," Harry warned, stripping off his school robes and shirt, much to Mrs. Weasley's dismay.

"Harry!" she admonished.

"Just trust me, ok?"

That seemed to be all Dumbledore needed to hear, and with a flick of his wand, the area of the room where Harry stood was cleared.

"Thanks," Harry said, then glanced up at the ceiling, for once glad that the room was made as it was. Hate to hit my bloody head when I'm trying to show them this.

Then, he threw his head back, focusing on what he wanted to happen. The sound of cracking bones filled the room, sending many cowering as they watched his body reshape itself. Legs elongated, as did arms...chest became broader...a wolf-like snout formed itself from his face, and then hair sprouted suddenly, covering him entirely. The fact that he stood at 7'8 would've had him nearly hitting his head were this any other room in the castle, and made him tower even more over those in the room. His pants and shoes seemed to just disappear, rather than rip away, which was good, as a tail forced its way out as well. In his chair, Ron sneered in disgust at this, but something in him was awed as well, to see a person control the transformation so completely. When the eyes opened, they were nearly all black, with only the iris containing a real color. No longer were they green however; instead, a golden color was more prominent, with only a rim of the normal emerald at the edges. The werewolf lifted its clawed hands for a moment, sending Tonks scurrying further away, and then the golden eyes slowly raked over all in the room.

For once, even Snape had no retort, and the fear was about to overwhelm him.

Slowly, the eyes closed again, and with only slightly less fanfare than before, his body returning to its 6'5 human frame. The pants and shoes reappeared before needed, allowing him to keep his modesty, and once the transformation was complete, and Harry picked up his shirt and robes, and slipped them back on while the others recovered from sheer shock. Green eyes raked the room, much as the gold that had replaced them had, taking in those around him. While he looked at Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, both of whom were obviously quite unsure what to make of this, a hand rested on his shoulder from behind.

Turning, he found himself looking down into the cinnamon eyes of his best friend, her hand still upon his shoulder. Then, with surprising force, she hugged him for the second time that night, with this time being her turn to bury her face into his neck. Grateful, Harry wrapped his arms around her, returning the hug, and yet again lifting her from the floor with ease. Another set of arms enveloped them both, surprising Harry to the point he looked up. There, a few inches away, was the ginger-haired head of his other best friend, surprising Harry to no end.

"You're not evil," Ron said simply, his voice carrying throughout the room in the quiet. "You're my brother, werewolf or not."

At this, Hermione pulled her face from Harry's neck, nodding. "He's right." She gave him a watery smile. "You're still our Harry."

Slowly, the Trio broke from their hug, allowing the rest of the room to get close to Harry now. And per usual, Harry found himself engulfed in a hug from Mrs. Weasley that could crack ribs, which was actually rather funny, given the fact that she was so petite and he so tall. But when Remus finally got to him, his hug easily rivaled Mrs. Wesley's.

Pulling back, the old werewolf looked at Harry. "One of these days you're going to have to tell me how you do that," he said, the barest hints of a smile on his lips.

"Deal," Harry agreed.

It took nearly half an hour for Dumbledore's office to clear out, and by the time it did, all three students were yawning loudly and wishing for their beds. Finally, Dumbledore shooed Ron and Hermione towards Gryffindor tower, promising Harry would be along shortly.

With his friends gone, Harry finally took a seat, facing the headmaster. "I figured you'd want to hear more," he said simply, no longer faking tiredness for his friend's sakes.

"Tell me everything, Harry. Starting from where you left off..."

Harry smirked. "Better have a house elf bring you some coffee, sir. We'll be here a while."

__________________________________________________________________

A/N: Well...that didn't take long did it? LOL. I updated Faith less than a week ago and already I'm finishing up this chapter here. Too cool. Luckily, this one flowed well, so...hope Faith does too when I start to work on it. As always, REVIEW PLEASE! :)

Songs:

(1) - "Live A Lie" - Default

(2) - "I Won't Be There" - Simple Plan