Unofficial Portkey Archive

Divinity Forensis by RogueBHS
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Divinity Forensis

RogueBHS

Divinity Forensis
By: RogueBHS
Chapter 5 - "Avoid The Light"

Author Notes: Sorry about the wait on this, but I've been busy as hell lately and had the world's worst case of Writers Block. More than usual actually. Anyway, here it is...the next chapter of Divinity Forensis.

The note below will appear in all future chapters, and can be used as a reference at any time you want. :)

Just a note to those who are curious, the coven Viktor rules is a part of the Vampire Clan, Ventrue. Want more info? Go here: http://amaranth.wehostmuds.com/clans.html
And Lucian's Werewolf den is of the Children of Gaia (or Spiral) tribe. Info here: http://amaranth.wehostmuds.com/tribes.html
The site that talks about the Vampire clans also goes into their Disciplines, or special powers they either inherit or can be taught. Those will be mentioned frequently, and upon their first mention, likely given an explanation of exactly what they do.

SPOILER WARNING: Some things from Half-Blood Prince will be incorporated into this story! If you've not read it, I have tried to disguise the elements some, but either way, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is still a mostly Post Order of the Phoenix fiction, however. :)

Disclaimer: I do not in any way shape or form own any of the ideas or characters from Harry Potter or Underworld. There are original characters involved, in minor rolls, which I do own, as they are my own RPG characters that I created. I'm also borrowing (with permission) a friend of mine's male RPG characters, whom he owns.

Notice:
Any songs or spells used in a chapter will be listed at the end of it, just as in "Faith." Numbers in parenthesis indicates a song, letters in parenthesis indicates spells or excerpts from the books.

Full Summary:
Harry's summer at the Dursley's has never been worse; Vernon is drinking heavily and using him for a punching bag (again), and Petunia is acting like nothing is wrong. And the Order seems to have forgotten him completely, despite their claims at King's Cross Station. Can he survive the summer alone? Or will it take drastic measures to keep him alive?

Main characters:
Harry, Hermione, Ron, Dumbledore, Snape, Lupin. From
Underworld: Selene, Kraven, Viktor, Marcus, Amelia, Lucian, and Kahn.

~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*

Dumbledore's Office, one month into term -

"You're sure about this, Harry?" Dumbledore questioned his young charge, quite surprised by what Harry was asking be done.

"Yes sir," Harry answered respectfully, and then glanced askance at Professors Snape and McGonagall. "He's got to know that there's some hidden reason behind my disappearance and the fact that the Lycans and Vampires turned against him. This gives him one, and keeps him from digging deeper. Not to mention what it can do to Professor Snape's standing with Voldemort." His green eyes sparked with humor. "Other than that, if he knows, why hide it? I'm actually pretty damn proud of what I am, you know."

At that comment, Severus Snape smirked dryly. "Leave it to a Potter to be proud of being one of the more feared creatures in the Wizarding world."

Harry glanced at his Potions professor with a grin. "You know, there are rumors you're a vampyre right?"

Dumbledore and McGonagall both hid grins while the Potions Master stared at Harry in surprise for a long moment. Then, slowly, the slightest of grins curved his lips. "That certainly explains a lot."

Taking a deep breath, Harry looked to the headmaster again. "I guess that's it then, right? And I want Skeeter for this. No one else. Make sure she knows that Hermione will be present, and that's not up for negotiation either."

"I'll take care of it, Harry," Dumbledore assured him. "But I suppose you should be heading to dinner now, should you not?"

"Yeah...Ron and Hermione are gonna be wondering what happened to me," he answered, and then let his eyes slide to Snape one last time. "Oh, and make sure to tell Voldie I said hello, won't you?" Harry asked with a smirk. "Professor Dumbledore may have been the only person he's feared up to now...but before all is said and done, he'll fear me too."

~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*

Voldemort's lair -

"HE WHAT?!" the Dark Lord exploded, snake-like nostrils flaring in indignation.

Severus Snape kept his head bowed, the better to keep his Lord from seeing the slight smirk on his face. "He is now a lycan, my lord. He's revealed himself to Dumbledore, and the others he feels he can trust. It was at Dumbledore's request that I myself was present, however."

"That old fool," Voldemort mused, his anger cooling a touch as he considered what this meant. "Tell me, Severus, does Potter realize the extent of his powers now?"

"Some," Snape admitted, finally raising his head a little to look at Voldemort. "It would seem that after declaring their allegiance to the Order, Lucian and the Immortal began training Potter in the ways of a lycan."

"Either way, the transformation can not be controlled by such a young werewolf," Voldemort said, smiling a deadly smile.

"Actually, my Lord," Snape corrected, fighting back another smirk. "He can."

"That's impossible! Only the oldest and most powerful werewolves can do such a thing!" Bellatrix spoke up from her spot on Voldemort's right. "And Potter is a weakling."

"Not anymore," Snape assured her. "Lucian was his sire, as it turns out."

Taking this in, Voldemort realized the ramifications...the changes that had to be made to his plans at once. "Potter and that wolf," he sneered, giving the term a highly derogatory sound, "will regret the day they turned their backs on me. As will the rest of their kind."

For reasons he couldn't explain, Severus Snape sincerely doubted the Dark Lord's words. After all, Harry had pulled himself from numerous scrapes that even an older and more knowledgeable wizard would have had trouble with. And while saying so in present company would have gotten him killed without thought, for the first time in his life, Snape found himself actually wishing a Potter good luck. You're certainly going to need it...

~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*

Hogwarts, Great Hall, Breakfast two days later -

When Harry, Ron and Hermione entered the Great hall two days after Snape had broken the news to Voldemort, it was abuzz with chatter...chatter that stopped abruptly the moment the Trio was in the doorway. Today was the day that Rita's newest article, the piece that told a bit of Harry's summer, and the reason behind his transformation appeared in every Wizarding paper she could contact in time. And it was obvious that the Trio was running late if mail had already been through with the papers. Rather than feel self-conscious about it, Harry held his head high, walking to an open seat at the Gryffindor table, only to be flanked with Hermione to his right and Ron to his left when he sat down. Slowly, the whispers began again, softer now that Harry was in the room. He had, after a good deal of prodding from Rita Skeeter, finally admitted that yes, his senses were permanently heightened, including his hearing, which was likely the reason for the softer tones.

Despite the other students' precaution, Harry overheard most of what was said anyway. They obviously didn't realize that he could hear a mouse squeak as many as three miles (4.83 km) away. He heard Cho's tone of disgust as she wondered what on earth she'd ever saw in him, but when a friend of hers pointed out the wonderful changes being a werewolf had brought to his physique, Cho sighed dreamily.

"Oh, he's definitely hotter, that's for sure," Cho concurred in a whisper to her friends. "Too bad he's a...you know..."

"I'll be right back," Harry muttered to Hermione, earning him a curious glance as he rose from his seat, walking to the Ravenclaw table, stopping right behind Cho. At his presence, all at the table went quiet, staring up at him with both fear and awe. A grin curved his lips, giving him a devilishly handsome look, with his hair falling over one eye. "You know," he began, leaning down over Cho's shoulder, even as she looked up at him. "Pity you are what you are too, Cho. But even if I wasn't a lycan I'd never date someone as close-minded as yourself."

Shock was written over her features. "You...you heard us?"

Harry rose back to his full height, green eyes glittering as he looked down at her, and his grin widened. "You think I couldn't?" he asked, his voice loud enough to be heard in the rest of the hall as it went silent as well. "Cho, I can hear a mouse that just crashed into one of the suits of armor up on the second floor. What the hell makes you think I can't hear you when you're no more than a few feet away?"

There was a brief pause, and then Harry cringed. "And there went Ms. Norris crashing into too...lovely..."

"You're kidding," Cho said, quite taken aback, blue eyes wide. "You can't hear that well..."

"Wanna bet?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. At that moment, Filch came in, carrying a very dazed Ms. Norris in his arms, much to everyone's disbelief.

"Er..." Cho began, hesitating as she eyed the cat. "I think not." She then leaned to one of her friends, wondering how on earth Filch had gotten to the cat so fast.

"Secret passages..." he answered for her, "and good choice," Harry said simply, then tipping an imaginary hat in her direction, walked back over to the Gryffindor table, sliding into his seat between Ron and Hermione, both who were having a laugh at Cho's expense. "Well, now that's taken care of..."

~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*

Late that night, near the Forbidden Forest -

"You're late."

Harry turned, facing Lucian with a grin. "Had to sneak out...took me a second longer than planned." Harry stretched out his muscles idly, and then yanked off his sweater. "Stupid Snape wouldn't move from the damn doors, and I wasn't in the mood for jumping out a window."

"You did anyway," Lucian said simply, having watched Harry's descent from the second floor window with a smirk only moments ago. "Shall we?" he asked, shedding his own coat and shirt.

Harry gave no answer, but instead, transformed at once into his lycan form. His gold and green eyes focused on Lucian as he transformed as well. The blue and black eyed lycan leader gave a wolfish grin, and then took off at a run, with Harry nearby. The two ran easily through the forest, dodging and clearing obstacles that would have stumped a lesser creature, including a stack of fallen trees, no doubt from Grawp's latest temper tantrum. Fifteen minutes later found them deep into the forest, near its center, where a small clearing had formed, completely devoid of tree, shrub or stone. The light of a quarter moon shone down on the barren patch of ground, spotlighting Harry and Lucian as they returned to human form. Harry yawned idly, looking around the area, though he'd seen it nearly every night since Hogwarts had started up again for this term.

"Where is Viktor?" he asked, green eyes staring into the darkness.

Lucian gave a shrug as he eyed a rat nearby. "We're not alone," he told Harry simply, causing the teen to turn abruptly.

Green eyes flared and Harry smirked. "Ahh...Wormtail," he said simply, and with a wave of his wand, the Animagus returned to its human form of Peter Pettigrew. The balding man stood there, quivering quite noticeably, watery blue eyes looking back and forth between the two Lycans.

"And just what is a rat like you doing here?" Lucian questioned, enjoying the look of fear on Pettigrew's face. "I suppose your master heard of my new pupil, did he?"

"Y...yes," Pettigrew choked out.

Harry walked forward, his green eyes slowly turning gold, much to Pettigrew's horror. "You know, I do believe you haven't been properly introduced to my other side, have you?" he questioned, a grin curving his lips, and showing his fangs as they became more and more prominent.

"You...you won't kill me, will you?" Peter asked, taking a step back in caution. "I can...I can tell you things..." he bargained.

"If you did, Voldemort would kill you," Harry reminded him, his voice distinctly different from normal now. "You're between a rock and a hard place, as they say, Pettigrew. So the question is, which of us is the lesser of two evils?"

It was a long moment before Pettigrew spoke again; his mind running through everything he'd seen and done in his many years of service for the dark lord, and then the things he knew to be true of the Potter boy. Surely Harry couldn't kill him, right? He was too much his father...too much his mother.

"I'll tell you what Voldemort is planning next..."

~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*~~~~*

A/N: I just can't write any more of this right now...so I'm sending it on to the beta for her check. Sorry its short, but my writer's block is still giving me hell. Faith will be worked on as I can...and then with luck, a much longer chapter of DF to make up for this one. Later!