Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Throne Reclaimed by Twitch E. Littleferret
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Throne Reclaimed

Twitch E. Littleferret

Chapter Twelve: The Slytherin Queen

Hermione had woken up from her rest and was currently readying herself for the dinner feast with the assistance of her chamber maid. Suddenly, there was a commotion at her door, the shouting of men and her door flung open as Jason stepped through and quickly closed it.

"Jason!" Hermione was surprised. "What is this about?"

He said nothing, he only walked to her and handed her the parchment, the seal already broken since he read it. She unfurled the paper and slowly rose to her feet as she read it.

"Leave us!" she said curtly to the chambermaid, who quickly left her presence.

Hermione rerolled the scroll and tapped it against the palm of her hand. "Is this the only one he sent?"

"Yes."

She began to pace. "But we cannot guarantee his own tongue." There was a knock at the door. "What?" the Queen asked, irritably.

Luna and Ginny peered in the room, showing surprise at Jason's presence alone with the Queen.

"Are you ready to go down?" Luna asked, cautiously.

"Ready to put on a play?" Hermione answered visciously. "Ready to put on a show?" Luna and Ginny jumped back at their friend's harsh tone. Jason looked back at the Queen and ushered the two women outside of the room.

"Jason," Ginny whispered. "You're not supposed to be alone with the Queen!"

"Tell someone who gives a damn. The Queen will be down shortly, I'll take her," he said and closed the door.

Hermione was still pacing angrily. "I swear I'll cut his tongue out myself. I'll have him hanged and gutted."

"My Queen," Jason was hesitant due to her temper. "What will you do?"

Hermione stopped pacing and looked at him.

~*~

It took all of Harry's self-control to keep from skipping, running, jumping and dancing the halls. Now that he sat at his chair at his table, overlooking the dinner before him, nervous anticipation at seeing his beloved Hermione filled him. Cho was once again at his side, sitting primly and making polite conversation with Sirius and Dumbledore. There was a nervous anticipation in the air as the buzz of conversation gradually grew louder. The musicians were playing a lively melody, waiting for the time after dinner when the ladies will dance with the knights who held their favor.

Well, Harry was not excited at all for that.

Neville sat amongst the knights, his arm in a sling due to his injury. An injury delivered by Cragen who sat on the other side of the room with the Slytherin knights. He was glancing at Harry once in awhile and Harry met his challenging gaze only to have Cragen back down. They would repeat this performance several times during the night. When Cragen wasn't watching him, he was watching Ginevra. Neville and several of the other Gryffindor knights were eyeing him carefully. She would have to dance with Cragen during the dance of flowers since he had "taken" her favor.

Jason and Hermione's absence was conspicuous.

Their arrival together to the dining hall sent the buzzing to a new level. Hermione held her head up high and proud, the silver of her crown glinted in the torchlight, her emeralds sparkled. Harry's heart swelled at the sight of her but the look was not returned. In fact, she didn't even glance in his direction. He sat back in thought as Hermione took a seat with her Slytherin knights instead of at the King's table. Disapproving looks filled the hall. Jason sat with Neville and leaned toward him in conversation.

"Wine, my King?" Cho asked sweetly, holding out a goblet.

"Thank you," Harry said politely as he took it, puzzling out the frosty scene in front of him. Sirius and Dumbledore looked equally uneasy at the tense atmosphere the room took. Harry was suddenly thinking it was a very bad idea to invite the Slytherins to the dining hall.

He sent the best cuts of meat and servings to Hermione, bypassing Cho who was silently fuming but politely did not say anything. Still, Hermione would not look at him. It made Harry uneasy with the way that Cragen was looking at her, hate in his eyes. He looked across the room and saw that Jason, too, had a sharp eye on him, his fingers itching to take the hilt of his sword. That made Harry feel a little better, two pairs of eyes on her was better.

"A drink, cousin."

Harry was drawn out of conversation with Ron by the approach of the Queen. The serving boy was with her as she offered up a goblet of wine to her cousin.

"Of course," Ron said cheerfully.

Harry's gaze fell on her, silently willing her to look at him but she didn't. She was watching her cousin as he took the goblet, lifted it to her and took a drink. Hermione gave a small smile before taking a drink of her own. That was the closest she would come to Harry that night.

The music started once again more jovially as the ladies sought out the knights who held their favors. Harry's watchful gaze fell on Cragen and Ginny, Neville sat at the table watching as well.

"He'll not try anything under so many watchful eyes," Jason whispered in Hermione's ear as he took her hand to dance.

"But he has the sense of a pig," she replied. They clapped twice, separated and came together again.

"If any blood is spilt tonight, it will be mine," Jason said with a wry smile.

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked as he lifted her in the air in a quick turn.

"The King looks as if he'll have my head on a pike if I chance another dance." Hermione flushed at his words.

"I think everyone is too preoccupied with Ginevra and Cragen," she countered.

"Hmm. Did your cousin drink it?" he asked, changing the topic.

"Yes, he did," she lowered her voice. "I can't believe I just did that."

Jason stopped dancing and looked directly at her, a sadness in his eyes. "I know you must feel terrible…"

Hermione looked up sharply at him. "I'm the Slytherin Queen. I've learned quickly not to feel remorse for the bad things I have done. I would do anything, anything, to protect the ones I love." He nodded sagely. He knew very well just what the Queen was capable of.

Harry somehow forgot.

Hermione left the dinner after the dance, Jason also disappeared. Harry stayed dutifully and danced a few dances with Cho and the other ladies of the court but he was anxious to be back with Hermione.

"I don't know," Ginny shook her head. "Jason was with her, alone, in the room. She was very rude to me and Luna."

"What did Jason say?" he asked.

"He practically ran us out of the room and shut the door in our faces. I'm telling you, I've never seen her like that before. She was so angry and irritated about something."

Harry frowned, she sounded so different from the woman he had left earlier that day. But, then again, she hadn't looked or even spoke a single word in his direction tonight. Had he done something wrong?

As soon as he left everyone's company, he went to his chambers and through the passageway to Hermione's room. But when he reached the other side, it was blocked and he couldn't get through to her room. Taking a chance, Harry left his room for hers. He approached her guards, thankfully Cragen was not there.

"I need to speak with the Queen," he ordered.

"She isn't in her room," the guard answered.

"Open the door," Harry demanded and the guard complied. He was right, the room was empty, James' cradle empty. Panic filled Harry and he raced to the stables.

"Has the Queen taken any horses?" he asked the stable master.

He nodded. "No, she hasn't." Harry gave a great sigh. Where could she be?

She was at her aunt's house with Ginny, Ron and Luna. As she lay her head down on the bed she cuddled James' warm little body to hers. Tears were falling down her face as she took in every little eyelash, his little nose, the tiny puckered mouth, his hands, his little toes. She kissed his little forehead and closed her eyes to try and sleep.

On the other side of the village, the boisterousness of the feast carried into the Hog's Head where the Slytherin knights enjoyed themselves. Cragen was not with them, opting to rest before his tournament. The musicians played loudly and the drinks flowed more freely as the soldiers became drunker and drunker.

The door opened and Jason stepped through, accompanied by some of the Gryffindor knights. The music immediately stopped as they surveyed the scene before them. The bartender looked grateful for their arrival as did many of the ladies in the ale house who were the unwilling entertainment for the knights.

"Well, well, Jason!" one of the drunken knights slurred as he attempted to stand.

"Leave," Jason said to the barman and the ladies. They hustled out of the room along with the musicians.

"Aw, now why did you go and do that?" another one of the drunken knights spoke up.

Jason drew out his sword and spoke to no one in particular. "Bolt the door."

~*~

With dawn came chaos in the deWeasley house. Hermione stepped into the corridor to see a servant rushing down the hall.

"What is it? Is all well?" Hermione asked.

The servant dropped to a curtsy. "Sir Ronald, he is sick!" she gasped.

"Sick?" Hermione rushed to her cousin's room.

Ginny was in the doorway while her aunt and Luna stayed at Ron's bedside.

"What has happened?" she asked.

"Ron's ill," Ginny answered. "Must have had some bad food at the dinner last night. He keeps vomiting."

They both looked into the room as Ron spoke up. "How can I ride in the tournament today?"

Hermione walked into the Great Hall to find Harry getting ready to break his fast in his room. A knight announced her arrival.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, Your Majesty but the Slytherin Queen wishes a word with you."

Harry who was beside himself with worry ushered her into the room, closing the door and leaving them alone.

"Hermione where have you been," he said as he rubbed her arms.

"I've been with my aunt all night. Harry, Ronald is sick and cannot be in the tournament today."

"He is? What happened?"

"It may have been something he ate at the feast last night," Hermione shrugged.

"But I ate the same thing he did," Harry protested. Hermione did not answer him. "Will he be alright?"

"Of course, we just have to wait for this to pass."

"Well, come sit down with me. Have you broken your fast?"

Hermione sat down and ate with Harry and when the conversation turned flirtatious, he took her to bed. Their lovemaking was gentle and tender because he was afraid of harming Hermione and their unborn child in some way. Satiated with pleasure, Harry moved down her naked body to kiss her lower belly where the baby was nestled safely in its mother's womb. Hermione's fingers ran gently through his hair as he fell into a light nap.

~*~

The horns blared and the drums sounded as the crowd roared and cheered. Jason was inspecting his lances when a soft familiar voice sounded in his tent.

"Leave us," Hermione commanded and Jason's pages left them alone. She was wearing her emerald colored velvet gown whose sleeves fell just off her shoulders, a silver belt rested at her waist. Jason knelt to one knee.

"My Queen," he said reverently.

Hermione brought him back to his feet. "Is it done?" she asked.

"Yes," he answered and she took a deep breath. "The horses are ready and waiting for you. I will not be able to accompany you," he said sadly, "but the others will escort you to safety."

Hermione nodded. "Will you watch over Harry? Keep him safe?"

"Of course."

Hermione's eyes filled with tears as she stood on tiptoe and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Thank you, Jason. For everything."

Jason hesitantly returned her embrace, inhaling the sweet smell of her hair and committing to memory the feel of his arms around her. She stepped back and Jason brushed a few strands of hair out of her face and behind her ear.

She was so close.

But he stepped away. Hermione gave a slight smile. "I am a Knight of Gryffindor. I may love the Queen but I honor my King."

"And that is why you are the bravest of the knights," she replied. She moved away from him and left his tent and the knight to his thoughts.

Back in the castle, Neville, his arm still in a sling, was walking across the courtyard to the arena when a villager stopped him.

"Am I allowed back in my tavern?" he asked.

Neville was taken aback. "I'm sorry?"

"My tavern," the man answered. Neville recognized him as the barman of the Hog's Head.

"Well…yes, of course," Neville answered.

"Then you'll unlock it?"

The barman led Neville and another knight to the Hog's Head where he showed them the large lock around the front doors of the building. Neville, being injured, gestured to the other knight who smashed the lock. Neville unwound the chain from the handles of the door and opened it.

"Merlin," he whispered.

Inside, there was blood on the floor, on the walls and on the bar as well as a pile of dead Slytherin knights.

"Who did this?" Neville asked in wonder.

The barman looked at him in bewilderment. "Why…you did." Neville looked at him for further explanation. "A group of knights came here last night led by Jason."

"Jason," Neville whispered and ran out of the building.

"Jason?" Harry said in surprise as Cragen and Jason rode out to the King's box.

"The Queen reentered him in the tournament when her cousin fell ill," Sirius explained.

Harry sat back in his chair and looked at Hermione. A feeling foreboding came over him. He watched as Jason bowed in respect to him and both of them bowing to Hermione.

"May luck be with you," she said to both of the knights. She stood with her wreath of roses with the handkerchief tied to it and placed the favor on the tip of Cragen's lance. A murmur went through the crowd and Cragen himself looked surprised. Hermione smiled brightly at him as she sat down.

Both of the knights separated to their opposite sides to ready themselves. Jason's page handed him his lance.

"No, the red one," he ordered. The page dutifully obeyed. The crowd was stomping in the stands. His hand wrapped tightly around his lance and he looked across the field to Cragen.

Hermione sat with baited breath, heart pounding in her chest as she watched a page march forward with the raised black flag.

"Harry! Your Majesty!" Neville tore into the box winded from his run.

"What, what is it?" Harry asked in surprise.

"They're dead…all of them," Neville gasped.

"What? Who?" Harry wasn't sure he heard right above the roar of the crowd.

"The Slytherin knights, Harry," Neville persisted. "They're dead! They're all dead! Jason killed them!"

The flag was dropped.

Jason flipped his visor down, grabbed the reins as the horse sped forward at his command. Hermione stopped breathing.

Harry stood up. In that split second it suddenly came to him from the recesses of his mind. His dream. He remembered it suddenly. Hermione sitting on a throne, lovingly petting the snake in her lap as she said…"Do not cross me." The exact same words she threatened Cragen with. And the snake that she was petting lovingly in her lap?

"STOP THE JOUST!" Harry shouted as he ran to the front of his box. "COVER THE BANNER!"

A page jumped from the ground and scrambled to put the white cloth over the banner of Gryffindor, signaling the yielding of the tournament. But it was too late, Harry could only watch helplessly the murder being committed in front of him.

Jason held steady as he rode and his aim was true. The moment the wood of his lance pressed against the flesh of Cragen's neck it gave way revealing the cold steel hidden within. In moments, Jason ran his lance through unseating Cragen in a shower of red spray.

The crowd fell silent for a moment before cheering at the demise of the most hated knight. Harry gripped the banister of his box and dropped his head. Hermione had forced his hand and now he would have to let her go. He looked over at her and saw that she was standing, looking at him with tears in her eyes. A lump lodged itself in his throat as he summoned all his strengths to give her the slightest of nods before turning back to the field of the arena. He didn't want to watch her leave him.

Hermione fled the box and ran to the stables where a group of knights stood ready and waiting. They assisted her on to her horse and mounted their own. The gates of the village opened as Hermione and her entourage sped through riding hard and fast to Rowena.

Back to a city on the brink of war with the False King.


-->