Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Circle's End by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Circle's End

madscientist

A/N: Yep it really took 14 chapters to get them to school...slow buses I guess. Once again, many, many thanks to Lady Starlight for her gracious beta work.
Chapter 14: A Big Red Train

***************************Hogwarts, Hospital Wing************************
August 31, 1997.
10:20 pm

Roger and Jane Granger looked like nothing more or less than a normal, modern, Wizarding couple as they stood in the Hospital Wing. Both of them were dressed in long, black traveling cloaks over dark Muggle clothes. Jane smiled at Harry as he and Hermione appeared in the doorway to the room, and Hermione ran to her mother. Tears were in the eyes of both women as Hermione hugged Jane tightly and Roger pulled Harry aside.

Harry glanced over at Remus, the only other person in the room. Even Poppy had been told to vanish and she had done so, though not without protest. Remus was also dressed in black, and tonight, the kindly Professor was nowhere to be seen, the wolf was taking up residence. A black cloak that seemed to pull the very light from the air was draped over his shoulders, with a dark watch cap covering his gray and brown locks. A long kukri was sheathed down one leg, while the other held his wand and a pouch of necessities. He nodded to Harry, before stepping out in the hall.

"Keep her safe Harry," Roger said softly as he pulled Harry into a hug as if he were his own son.

Harry looked up at him, with a tight smile, "They'll have to kill me first."

"That's all I can ask," Roger paused as he glanced over to see Jane whispering something in Hermione's ear. "Don't wait Harry." Harry regarded him for a long moment, before nodding once more.

Hermione dashed over from Jane and threw herself in her father's arms. "I'm going to miss you daddy," she sobbed. Outside of the windows, a light rain had begun. The clouds blocked any trace of the moon, and privately Harry thought it an apt night for a mission such as this. He walked away from the Grangers to look out the window at the wet lawn.

In the darkness, nothing much was moving. The Thestral herd was stampeding around their paddock annoyedly, they didn't like rain and no doubt some flobberworms were surfacing but that was about it. Harry knew that at this very moment, all throughout the castle a legion of elves was under the direction of the Headmistress and Tonks removing, trapping or warding almost every entrance into the castle, no matter what the size. In fact, Lupin, as DADA Professor, should be overlooking that task as well, but for once Harry had decided to take advantage of whom he was. Yes, in all likelihood it was he who for good or ill must try to save the world from Voldemort, but Hermione was his heart, and he was not about to see hers broken if he could help it.

After several minutes in which he heard soft noises from behind him, familiar arms wrapped around his waist from behind. He turned to place his around Hermione as well as they spun back to watch. Remus pulled a small, golden ring from somewhere in his pocket and held it out for the Grangers to hold. In a fall of color and a sudden rush of wind, the Grangers and Remus vanished.

Hermione threw herself into his shoulder and bawled as she clung to him. With a deep breath, Harry softly ran his fingers through her hair as he muttered quiet, nonsense into her ear.

********************Platform 9 & 3/4, King's Cross Station, London**************

September 1, 1997
10:45 am.

For a while, after Dumbledore's death, it had been thought that the brilliant crimson locomotive and its retinue of well appointed cars would be retired, hidden, put into storage possibly never to emerge again. But now with fifteen minutes until the train pulled away from the hidden platform in the midst of one of London's most heavily traveled stations billowing clouds of steam filled the tracks. Students in a mix of Muggle jeans and shirts and Wizarding robes and cloaks crowded the causeway.

Young chattering girls looked up adoringly at older boys carrying their trunks past, while their male counterparts laughed and traded Chocolate Frog cards and played stupid jokes on one another.

A veritable river of trolleys appeared at miniscule intervals through the hidden wall to the Muggle world, faster and faster now that the time for departure had almost arrived. Students, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin boarded the train with their trunks floating or being manhandled behind them depending on their age. And over looking all of this, at least half the active duty Aurors still on duty, and almost all of the few remaining members of the Order of the Phoenix, which by now consisted mostly of the Weasley Clan. Several had died several more had just vanished. Remus, Tonks, Minerva and Hagrid were, of course, already at Hogwarts.

A murmur of whispers sounded out as a trio of presences swept down the platform with a hundred gazes following their progress. Shining badges hung on their chests, two with a large central "H"; the remaining one with a "P. Hard, green eyes swept the platform, pausing for an instant on a cluster of seventh years, all in Wizarding casual clothes. Blaise Zabini met his eyes for an instant before looking away with the feeling of his very soul being measured and found lacking, and with rude shouts and gestures the Slytherins boarded the train.

The green eyes softened as the owner knelt next to a young girl who didn't look ten, let alone eleven, as he along with his brown-eyed companion helped her repack her spilled trunk with casual flicks of holly and ivy-wood wands. Behind him at his shoulder, a tall, blue-eyed guardian constantly swept the crowd. After the first two had finished their task, he smiled down at her, a distance of almost two feet and handed her a chocolate frog from his pocket. The tiny girl watched the trio leave with a slightly star struck vision dancing on her face, and watched them stop in the midst of a cluster of ruby hair broken only by a pair of silver manes.

"Harry." A small red-haired presence shouted and threw her arms around him. Ginny looked up at him, "where have you been, did you get my package?"

Bill and Fleur's eyes met behind her sister Gabrielle. He flicked them towards Hermione's stonily impassive face and she nodded.

Harry smiled down at her, with not a hint of anything other than pleasure at her presence. The Dursleys would never know just how helpful they had been in learning to hide his true emotions. Harry noticed that unlike Hermione who was behind him and dressed casually in a t-shirt and khaki cargos, in other words dressed to fight if need be, Ginny was dressed to kill, him. In fact from the occasional glance he caught Molly shooting in her direction out of the corner of her eye, she didn't totally appreciate the short black skirt or white camisole top the youngest Weasley was sporting, or the two inch heels she seemed to have on as well. "Yeah Ginny I did, thanks. We all appreciated the cookies."

A faint waft of roses flitted past his nose as Ginny swept an artfully loose strand behind her ear, ohh honestly...Hermione growled in the back of his mind, and the faint stirrings of, something, were crushed under the breakers of a torrent of feelings from Hermione.

Thank you Hermione. Harry sent as he gave Ginny a small smile, and walked over to Mrs. Weasley. She gave Ron and Hermione an odd look and immediately Harry wondered just who had prompted that Howler yesterday morning. She crushed him in her arms.

"You three don't go off and do anything, you stay in school and learn, you hear." She glared at Hermione and Ron as if admonishing them for leading Harry off the beaten path, but smiled immediately and swept both of them into crushing hugs anyway. "It's a shame your parents couldn't be here Hermione."

"Well they are safe, that's what's important," Hermione replied with more or less complete belief in her words.

""Arry" Fluer said suddenly as she guided a smaller version of herself through the sea of Weasleys, "Gabrielle, pleaze take care of hers" Gabrielle shot an annoyed glance back at Fluer.

"Harry, it is good to see you." She said in a much less accented English than her big sister managed. "I am happyz to ze attending Hogzwartz."

"You too, Gabrielle," Harry replied with a genuine smile. She returned an absolutely dazzling one, Hermione...if she were two years older, we would never get any sleep this next year from having to chase all her suitors back to bed. He felt the feeling of agreement that she sent his way. "You probably need to get on the train." She smiled and after a quick wave, Fleur and her headed off to put her belongings on the train.

Bill watched after his wife and motioned the trio in close, Ginny leaned in, but no one minded for this, "Harry, guys, keep her safe the best you can. Fleur feels that even with Hogwarts being what it is, a stick in Voldemort's eye, she's safer there than at Beuxbatons. Even without Dumbledore," Harry frowned, "Hogwarts is still the safest place in England... Beuxbatons', only protection is Maxine. Voldemort will overrun it in an hour and he will strike at the schools in Europe. He isn't strong enough in the Americas to go after them yet, but he will be..."

"Ok Bill." Harry's heart was heavy as he took on responsibility for another soul, "I...we'll do our best."

The whistle to the train sounded and Harry straightened. Bill and the rest of the Weasleys, the adults anyway looked at him twice as a sudden, presence, erupted from his very bones. Without another word, the trio swept off, sonorous "IF YOU'RE GOING, GET ON" Harry roared and a half dozen lollygaggers including Ginny piled on the train. Harry glanced down both sides of the train and finding no one, motioned to the conductor and three blasts from the whistle sounded and the train started off. He glanced to either side, found no one and leaned in to kiss Hermione hard. Ron whistled behind him tunelessly. Hermione gave him a rude gesture under Harry's arm without breaking the kiss and he laughed. After a minute, "ok Mione." Harry said softly, a touch out of breath, "I see you in the Heads' compartment."

"You aren't going to do something, are you Harry?"

"No Hermione. I just need to see a friend." Harry replied truthfully, looking her in the eyes the entire time. She gave him a grin and after another glance up and down the halls, she gave him a quick, parting peck on the lips and headed forward.

"So Harry," Ron said as they headed aft together, "Are you?"

"Yeah and I'm scared bug-fuck," Harry replied truthfully. Ron carefully did not laugh at his best friend. He looked back toward the head of the train. "Ron, do me a favor, see if you can find Neville, I need a favor."

Thirty Minutes Later....

A dark, wood-paneled, compartment lined with several comfortable couches held sway immediately following the coal car for the train. The room held appointments lacking even in the dedicated teacher's car, which none of them ever used anyway. Tasteful accents in crimson and gold highlighted the trim this year, as both Heads were Gryffindors. A perch and fur-lined basket sat in the window for Harry and Hermione's familiars, who were currently basking in the attention from a pair of fifth-year Hufflepuff prefects. An actual working fireplace crowded into one corner, with a small, atmospheric fire currently burning.

Harry leaned up against the front of the cabin, his hair dangling in front of his eyes. A crowd of twenty-five people filled the small conference area of the Head's coach. Two prefects from each of four houses for fifth through seventh years with the exception of Gryffindor who was short one prefect due to Hermione being Head Girl. Harry glanced around and took in Ernie McMillan, and Susan Bones from Hufflepuff, the later girl holding a hard, dark gaze she had worn ever since the death of her Aunt to Voldemort's forces. Blaise and Pansy from Slytherin, with a pair of intimidated looking Slytherin fifth years sitting next to them. An entire group of Ravenclaws sat to his left, with Ron, Colin, and one of Ginny's year mates, a black haired witch that Harry didn't recognize sitting with the Gryffindors.

He felt Hermione come up to stand at his shoulder, "Ok, I'll make it short..."

"It'll have to be so Weasley can understand it," Zabini stage whispered.

Hermione glared at him, "I doubt Headmistress McGonagall or Professor Slughorn would appreciate one of Slytherin's prefects loosing fifty points before we even passed Edinburgh." Zabini glared but shut up. She crossed her arms; "Let me make this perfectly clear...you are to make sure the ride to the school functions smoothly and to deal with such infractions that are unacceptable. However every detention or other punishment, will be reviewed by myself or Harry, and if we fell that you were unjust, we will adjudicate up to and including transferring any punishment to you."

"Ok," Harry said as he pushed off from the wall, without any apparent effort or movement, "get out of here, decide on patrols among your houses, Fifth year Ravenclaw and Sixth Year Gryffindor have the duty tonight when we get to the castle, I will post a full schedule for duty shifts in the Prefect's bathroom tomorrow. Get out of here." With a meandering rush, the compartment emptied, leaving after only a minute, the trio alone in the car. Ron looked over at Harry and shrugged. He grinned slightly as Hermione turned her back to dig something out of her bag and Harry frantically motioned Ron out the door.

"I'm going to go see about Luna," Ron said just a hair's breath too loudly and Harry felt like beating his head against the wall. Hermione just smiled as she looked back at the other two and shook her head.

"Are you going to come up here and ride with us?" Hermione asked Ron as he opened the door.

"Um...yeah, I expect I'll be back presently," Ron replied and shut the door softly.

"Well..." Harry said to the compartment as a whole, "alone at last." He waggled his eyebrows at Hermione and she chuckled softly. She had just thrown her arms around his neck and was leaning in to pass the time until Ron returned, when a soft scratching was heard at the door to the compartment. Harry shrugged dejectedly as Hermione sighed and went to the door. She opened it to find no one, and started to close it again when a large, familiar toad hopped into the compartment.

Hermione looked down at Trevor, slightly befuddled again, as she absently closed the door, thinking she needed to corral the toad for Neville. She frowned slightly as she noticed a parchment tied loosely to Trevor's back, she bent and plucked it off him and began to read:

Hermione,

You found me again where it all began. Look up

She looked up automatically to watch as Harry dropped to a knee in front of her. Her hands came up to cover her mouth as tears bloomed in her eyes before Harry could even speak, "Hermione, ever since I met you on this train seven years ago, you have been the only constant in my life. The one person who has kept me sane and alive and the only person, in the whole world, that I can trust my heart to because you already have my soul, and I think that I've loved you since we were eleven," he choked out softly, as Hermione's lip trembled and her hands shook slightly, "will you marry me, please? Because I really don't know what I'd do without you in my life every day, and I'm really afraid to find out."

"Yes. Oh God yes," Hermione replied almost as softly as she fell to her knees in front of Harry. Her hands came up to cradle his face as she pulled him into a long kiss, before falling into his arms, crying. After a moment, she pulled back, laughter dancing in her tears, "you did get me a ring, right?"

Harry's eyes widened, "oh, yeah." She giggled as the savior of the Wizarding and Muggle worlds, fumbled out a small, black velvet box from his pocket and promptly dropped it. Her hand returned to her mouth to stifle her laughter, then all the laughs vanished as Harry managed to pry open the box and look up at her expectantly.

Truthfully, not that she would have ever admitted it to Harry even, well she probably would have to him, eventually, she would have been happy with a piece of colored yawn, but this...

A worked, patterned, platinum and gold band supported a trio of softly glowing magical stones. A brilliantly, deep blue, triangle-shaped sapphire and a deep, blood-red ruby of the same shape and equivalent to any of the stones in the Gryffindor Sword, surrounded a large, square diamond. Light danced in the diamond from a source of its own, and she could see faintly glowing runes lining the band as he slipped it on a suddenly trembling finger. Their eyes widened together, a green fire lit their irises as the oil lamps lining the compartment flickered and died. A sudden, sourceless wind whipped at their hair and snatched their breath away before everything returned in a rush. "Harry, I, it's..."

"It's mum's Mione, if you don't like it we can, but I didn't have time and-- " His bumbling words were silenced as her lips crashed to his and they fell backwards onto the floor. "Oww." Harry muttered as his head lit the hardwood floor and she laughed against his lips. His eyes, still glowing slightly, slipped closed as a soothing warmth followed her fingers through his hair and any thought of pain vanished.

I...I love it Harry, and you; I'm never going to take it off. Mrs. Hermione Potter that's me, now and forever. She sat up and looked down at the ring sparkling on her hand, and her heart fell into her stomach as a sudden thought crossed her mind. But I'm going to have to take it off, aren't I...we can't keep up the deception very well if I'm sporting this around, can I...

Harry smiled at her and flowed to his feet, reaching down he pulled her to her feet and held her close as the fingers of his right hand interlaced with those of her left. Their eyes relit as he stared directly into her chocolate orbs with tears straining to escape once more, I am occasionally useful, love...Fidelium Orbis Amor...a sudden feeling of all of the magic in the room streaming past them as if drawn into a tiny black hole in the center of the ring shocked her for a instant, then it stopped. Modified Fidelius Charm...she can hold your hand and she wouldn't know. Right now, in all of the world, only you and I can see it. I would probably tell Ron before he thinks I've gone insane asking him to put a note on a frog and not tell Neville where Trevor is, or why...but you don't have to, it's up to you.

Hermione's eyes closed as she leaned her forehead against his, she laughed, only slightly bitterly as a sudden thought crossed her mind, I would really like to jump up on the table tonight and shove this in her face, I mean, I'm two years older than her, and I don't own a skirt that short, Harry crooked an eyebrow. Ok, yes I do, but I don't wear them to get on the train.

You know if you had, we might have been having this conversation last year...Harry gave her a sheepish smile. But I was too much of an idiot, I should have known Hermione, I knew something was wrong-

It's all in the past, Harry. I love you, you love me and that's the end of the story. She leaned in and kissed him leisurely, a soft knock interrupted them and she laughed slightly. I look ok, Harry?

But I like the post-shag look Hermione...Harry mock pouted, yeah, fix your shirt a bit and you're fine. She opened the door to find a slightly scared third year Hufflepuff holding out a pair of scrolls tied with a purple ribbon.

"I'm...supposed to deliver these to Hermione Granger and Harry Potter," the girl said quietly. Hermione quickly opened hers and stopped the girl with a glance:

Hermione,
It would be delightful if you could grace our presence in Compartment C for a spot of lunch.

Sincerely,
Professor H. E. F. Slughorn

Hermione's gaze flicked back to Harry's before returning to the young girl, "our complements to Professor Slughorn, but please give him our regrets, Harry is not feeling up to lunch." The girl nodded and left. "Unless you wanted to go?" She asked softly as she closed the door again, only to reopen it as Ron, Luna and Neville came knocking.

"There's that damn frog." Neville muttered as he came into the compartment. Hermione's eyes twinkled as she met Harry's behind his back.

"Um, yeah Neville, we found him in the hall a couple of minutes ago, we were just about to take him to you, but since he's already here, stay a while."

"Well if you insist." Ron said brightly as he crossed to a small inset cabinet and pulled out several bottles of butterbeer. They were in the air to the others before anyone could answer his inquiry if they wanted one. Harry flicked his wand, and the couches arranged themselves into a comfortable conversation nook. Harry set next to Hermione but this was his first real test. His hand didn't even twitch towards hers though Harry could swear the nerve impulses were shooting down his arm to do so.

'Um, Hermione..." Neville said hesitantly as he glanced around the compartment, "I was sorry to hear about your house." He looked at Ron, and everyone could tell he really didn't know what to say about the attack on the Burrow the same night. It was still a mystery exactly why Percy had been with the Death Eaters that night, he had not had the Dark Mark, and even the spell he had ultimately hit Charlie with in what must have been a fit of panic was probably not intended to be lethal. There were speculations however. Penelope Clearwater had been missing now for at least a month, and it was that slight hope that Percy had faced an impossible choice that Molly clung to. Of course the fact that Voldemort could have just disappeared her as a bit of vengeance for his failure was carefully never mentioned in her presence.

"It's ok Neville," Hermione replied, "They are ok, that is the main thing."

He nodded as he took a sip of his beer, "You aren't going to Slughorn's little lunch; I would have thought he would have invited the heads?" His eyes flicked to Harry, "I saw Ginny heading that way."

"Naw," Harry replied easily, "we got invited, but I really didn't feel like going." Neville nodded knowingly and changed the subject.

"So, when are we starting up the DA again this year?" He frowned and took a sip of his beer and went to go look out the window at the passing landscape. "I know you were busy last year Harry, but we should have, I mean maybe Ginny and I and some others we should have been ready." He frowned as he downed the rest of his beer in one long pull. "He is coming to Hogwarts this year isn't he Harry?" Neville turned back to him and the eleven-year-old, chubby boy who had been afraid of his shadow was long gone. A lean, resigned young man remained, the fires of the last three years having burnt the excess away.

"I don't know Neville." Harry replied honestly.

"I think Gran knew." Neville went on as if Harry hadn't spoken. "She was crying, actually crying a bit, when she left me off at the platform this year. They've cost us too much Harry; we can't back down any longer. Even Seamus is here, his mother tried to keep him from returning to school, said it was too dangerous, but he showed up anyway. I guess you noticed that Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw are pretty sparse," Neville mused, and Harry nodded, "it seems that only Gryffindor and Slytherin will be the only full houses...kind of draws the picture right there doesn't it."

"Yeah it does Neville." Harry looked at Hermione and a brief conversation passed. "Yeah it does."

The rest of the trip passed in relative harmony, of course the fact that Draco, if he were still even alive, was somewhere running for his life didn't hurt that in the slightest. The windows grew dark outside of the train as they passed into the highlands of Scotland and Ron, Luna and Neville excused themselves to change into their uniforms and robes.

Harry stepped from the train, and smiled, the sparkling lights of the castle overlooking the lake, the sound of Hagrid's booming voice yelling, "'Irst 'ears over here." Harry waved at him, and smiled as Hagrid thundered over. "'Arry...'ermione," Hagrid smiled and swept Hermione up in a massive hug. She squeaked, as he swung her around.

"Hi Hagrid," she said happily. She was still glowing a bit, and really, really wanted to tell Hagrid about the ring on her finger, but alas, she couldn't. Her eyes caught Harry's and he nodded, knowing and sharing her thoughts. "Hagrid...Harry and I...Ron, we were wondering if we could get into Creatures...we would make up all the work from last year." Her words were barely out of her mouth when Hagrid picked her up again... "O' course you can. O' course you can, 'ermione. I's won't make up make up the courses either, providing all three O you keep up your grades."

Hagrid thundered off, looking the happiest he had since Dumbledore died. "Well that was easy." Harry remarked as he led Hermione toward the coaches.

"Oi, Harry." Ron yelled and waved towards one that he had already boarded. Almost all of the rest had already left for the castle while Harry and Hermione were talking to Hagrid. Harry nodded and waved. He sighed softly as the quite visible Thestrals pawed at the ground and turned to them as they approached. The lead mare, rubbed up against him as he passed and he paused to pet her.

"Hey girl." Harry whispered as he ran his hand over the soft scale-like skin of the skeletal horse. Hermione scratched the mare's ears as her face wore a small, half-smile. She motioned towards the carriage and Harry nodded and followed her, with one final caress.

Ron pulled the door closed behind them and the carriage started off down the bumpy road around the lake. Hermione leaned against Harry in the privacy of the coach as only Ron and Luna were across from them. She glanced up at Harry; he nodded. "Ron, Luna." They looked at her. "We're getting married." As the words came out from her lips, her ring faded into view. Luna let out a soft "oooh" sound as she leaned forward and took Hermione's hand. She and Hermione started talking lowly among themselves as Ron just leaned forward and shook Harry's hand.

"Good job, mate." Ron said quietly. His voice was slightly tight as he looked across the carriage at his best friends. Luna let out a last soft noise as the carriage stopped. Ron looked at the rest of the people in the carriage, "Game time I guess." He frowned to himself as he watched Hermione get out and purposefully take a step away from Harry, and he knew that they were really mostly pretending for him. "I'll see you later luv." He whispered and gave Luna a last, lingering kiss and headed out with his friends.
Just as they climbed the front stairs and started into the castle, a hand shot out from nowhere and dragged Harry into a small cloakroom just off the main entrance. Hermione and Ron spilled after Harry, and all three had wands half raised before they recognized the pair waiting for them. Lupin and Tonks were both standing, nervously for some reason, in the cloakroom. Unlike last night when Harry had last seen Remus, he was dressed in a rather well put-together suit and robes, neither shabby. Minerva had already given him a multi-year contract to teach if he wanted, and he had money to spend for the first time in years. Of course the fact that Tonks had picked them out for him probably didn't hurt in the slightest either. Even Tonks looked more or less...normal, at least for the admittedly broad definition of that term here. Her hair was long and blond today and pulled up and back in a knot at the back of her head, and her robes were a deep, sapphire-blue color.

"Yeah," Tonks admitted before they could say anything, "Minerva said I had to look like a proper Professor.' She shook her head ruefully and Hermione's eyes laughed. "I get to look more normal though...I can have a proper hair color in class tomorrow." She looked at Lupin as her expression became serious.

"Harry." Lupin said tersely, "If I ask you, on your Marauder's Honor, to take no action, no matter whom you see when you go into the Great Hall will you...will all three of you?"

"What's wrong Remus?" Ron asked, laughing, "Did Snape come back to teach...or maybe Malfoy decided to take his NEWT year after all..." Lupin didn't laugh. Harry glanced at Hermione, he knew her thoughts, and then at Ron, he shrugged.

"Yes, Lupin, on our honor...providing no one attacks us first, of course." Harry replied and Remus nodded. He placed his hand on Harry's shoulder for the briefest of instants, as he and Tonks hurried out, no doubt to head to the Professor's table. Harry, Hermione and Ron followed him more sedately, and entered the Great Hall a couple of minutes later. A soft murmuring followed them as they started up the long tables and hundreds of eyes tracked their movement towards the far end of the Gryffindor table. Immediately as Harry scanned around the room, he could see Neville had been right. The Gryffindor and Slytherin tables were mostly full, only lacking the usual new first years to take their seats. The other two, the two in the middle however, they were a different matter.

The Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw tables were about half empty. Many students were missing, leaving whole swaths of the tables empty. Harry sighed as he glanced up towards the Professor's table. His throat was tight as he saw McGonagall sitting in Dumbledore's huge, golden chair. He caught her gaze and she gave him a tight, slow nod. He did not notice that her eyes stayed on him and the other two as he slowly took in the rest of the occupants. They were as expected as he scanned right to left, Glyph and Vector, Pomfrey and Hooch, and an empty seat belong to Flitwick whom Harry had already hear had been appointed as interim Assistant Headmaster, and was no doubt getting ready to bring in the new first years.

He continued on, looking to McGonagall's right, Remus, Tonks and Hagrid, no surprise. He spotted the fat shape of the back of Slughorn's head blocking someone else from view and nodded, a sudden thought, Hermione...Slughorn...his club.

Yeah, Harry, She agreed, but without Dumbledore we'll need dirt on him.

Harry gave her a nod as they reached the end of the table and just as he was to sit down, Slughorn moved and Harry instantly knew why Remus had made them swear.

It was only the thought of what his parents and Dumbledore would have thought had he broke his word to Remus that kept his wand in its sheath, or his sword from wherever it went. He felt Hermione's response a heartbeat later, and felt her hand brush his wrist, in restraint. Ron's "Oh. Bloody. Fucking. Hell." was ultimately superfluous, but it pretty well expressed all of their thoughts. His mind still reeling, he sat down heavily next to Neville as Hermione dropped next to him and Ron sat across from them. Luna was sitting at the Ravenclaw table just across the aisle. Seamus, Dean and Ginny were crowded in on the other side of Neville, while Pavarti and Lavender were sitting next to Ron. Padma had also scooted up to sit next to Luna and across from her sister.

"Harry." Seamus asked urgently, "What the bloody fucking hell is that woman doing here. I mean; she tortured you."

"I have no idea Seamus." Harry replied softly. His eyes were hard as he met the tiny, beady eyes of the simpering owner of their consternation, "I don't know." He glanced up at McGonagall; she shook her head minutely. Oh...you better explain this one McGonagall. Or we're gone.

Harry, Hermione replied as she studiously looked away from the teacher's table and towards the great doors, where the first years would enter. Are we going...she's...she's not hurting you again Harry, she's a dead toad if she tries...I... Harry saw her left hand trembling slightly on the table; he patted her thigh under the table surreptitiously.

No we wait, Mione. But thanks for the offer, dear.

Anytime.

Ron met Harry's eyes and nodded at the headshake Harry gave him. He watched as Harry's eyes flicked to Hermione and caught Ginny's watching them. He sighed. They all watched as Flitwick came in, levitating a stool with the Sorting Hat on top in front of him leading a line of first years only about half as long as normal. Right in the center of the line, a silver haired mane caught the light and Gabrielle gave Harry a small wave.

McGonagall stood and motioned to the stool. She cast no apparent spell, or talked above her normal voice, but every ear in the hall heard her. "Welcome to Hogwarts. As is normally the case, we will begin with the sorting..."

Every eye in the gigantic room watched as the Sorting Hat rose above the stool, it seemed to turn and look at each house in turn before a rip opened and it began to sing:

Once long ago, the times were dark...
The night had come and it wasn't a lark...
Four houses, once one were ripped asunder...
A dark one led one; set on loot and plunder...

Swords and wands were crossed and many died...
And all should sympathize...
For now, is the time when four should become one...
Or less, it is all undone...

A hero will arise, his blade ancient...
His companions true, his cause just...
But what will become of the rest of us...
For if he falls though our inaction...
We will have no satisfaction...

It is time for all to join under a banner true...
Green, Gold, Red and Blue...

The hat fell back to the stool, and hushed murmuring started once more. McGonagall ignored them as she waved to Flitwick to start the ceremony. Hermione leaned into Harry's side, "did the hat, quote the Stones..."

Hermione shrugged, "It seems that we should all unite...I think I've heard that one before somewhere." She muttered sarcastically. They turned to watch the rest of the sorting, noticing that Gryffindor and Slytherin seemed to be gaining students at about twice the rate of the other houses.

They perked up as, "Delacour, Gabrielle" echoed across the room in Flitwick's squeaky voice. The hat sat still, pondering for a long, endless minute..."GRYFFINDOR" Applause erupted from the Weasley contingent, and after a quick whispered explanation on who the silver haired girl was, from the rest of the sixth and seventh years. Gabrielle smiled shyly as her robes automatically acquired the rampant lion and crimson and gold trim of her new housemates. She sat next to Ginny as a space was made for her at the table. After the rest had been sorted, with a sudden influx for Ravenclaw, McGonagall stood, and the room became more or less silent.

She stood behind Dumbledore's podium and closed her eyes for a brief moment, before she began to speak in a burr choked with emotion. "There were those who thought that this school should not reopen." Her shoulders straightened, "There were those who thought that the cowardly, reprehensible acts of a poor, deluded few would cause us to cower in our homes and wait meekly for the minions of the dark to come to our doors. They were wrong." She took a breath and the silence was defining. "There are those here, tonight, who believe that any action is justifiable in service of an ignoble goal, that the slavery and deaths of others, because of an accident of birth is right and just. They are wrong." McGonagall's eyes and the entire, almost two hundred pairs of eyes from her house, fixed on the table furthest to the left.

"Hogwarts has stood for a thousand years as the shining example of what the Wizarding world can aspire to, a sense of loyalty, of honor, of courage, of wisdom. It will stand for another thousand years."

Tears bloomed in dark eyes, behind square glasses, "A great man, a brilliant wizard, an wise judge and an able negotiator, but overall just a great man died here so that the dream of Hogwarts would not fail. It is him we should honor tonight." Around the room, goblets of pumpkin juice appeared in front of every student and faculty member, McGonagall raised her glass, "Albus Dumbledore, the greatest Headmaster Hogwarts has ever seen."

Hundreds of goblets rose, and every eye was on Slytherin house, and slowly starting with the new first years, those glasses were raised as well. In the end, it might have been the quite real possibility that the entirety of Gryffindor along with the majority of the other two houses were quite willing, at that moment to force the issue, but it wasn't necessary after all.

"ALBUS DUMBLEDORE" the roared response shook the rafters. McGonagall paused for a moment and didn't bother to hide her face as she wiped away the tears. "And now, I have a few announcements...as one can tell, security will be tight this year...so in the interests of your own safety please obey the posted regulations. Also, as usual the Forbidden Forest is forbidden for reasons that should be obvious. Mr. Filch has provided me with a listing of prohibited items, a copy of this list may be found outside of his office...or if you happen to have a copy of Weasley Wizarding Wheezes fall catalog, that will also serve." Ron and Ginny waved in triumph and Harry swore, that just for an instant, McGonagall grinned.

"I also have several introductions to make, first our new Head Boy and Head Girl, Harry Potter and Hermione Granger." Relatively tumultuous applause broke out, spoiled only by several stage-whispered "boos" from the Slytherin table. McGonagall glared at them and they stopped. She pointed to her right; "also, as is normally the case, this year we have new staff to introduce, first, Remus Lupin has graciously agreed to return to Hogwarts to once again teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Lupin will also be taking over from myself as head of Gryffindor House." She paused as Remus stood and gave a small bow and the Gryffindor table erupted, with the other houses relatively enthused, except Slytherin of course. "Next to him, Nymphadora Tonks has taken over for myself as Transfiguration instructor." Tonks stood to more applause and even a few wolf whistles from some of the older male members of the student body, which Harry thought oddly appropriate.

McGonagall turned back to the students and raised her wand, when a loud, "Hem, Hem" came from her far right. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, "I forgot to mention that Delores Umbridge has returned to grace us with her presence once more as a liaison to the Ministry." The sarcasm was lost on no one.

Umbridge rose, or at least Harry thought she did, he wasn't really sure, she was so short, but whatever words she might have tried to say were drowned out as a blizzard of boos, jeers and general insults to her character drowned her out. "SILENCE" McGonagall roared and the students quieted. "Please do not boo, it reflects poorly on the school." If Umbridge thought that McGonagall was going to further state that she should be respected, or that she should be listened to as a Professor...she would be waiting a while.

************************Slytherin Common Room**************************

September 2, 1997
1:00 am

A fizzing, flaming streak shot across the dark, deserted Slytherin common room. The dim room, lit only by a totally inadequate pair of wall sconces shaped in the image of twisted serpents, suddenly became bright as day as a huge, blazing Hungarian Horntail appeared, roaring and spitting fire.

A hundred bare feet slapped ancient, worn flagstones as the entirety of Slytherin House stumbled up twin spiraling staircases from further below the school into the green-tinged common room. Dazed first years clustered protectively together around a dark green, worn couch. They looked up, amazed, at the flaming Dragon, one of the Weasley's most popular products. Dark hangings, covering the otherwise barren stone walls, were occluded as a tithe of third years pulled emerald and silver trimmed robes around pajamas.

Blaise Zabini walked to the front of the crowd, with Crabbe and Goyle pushing smaller students out of the way. Pansy trailed him, pulling tight a robe over an outfit that seemed to indicate she had been doing anything but sleeping. She glanced up at Zabini; he gave her a small sneer and shrugged. He glanced back at the crowd, "Go back to sleep, whoever set this thing off, will..."

"Actually Blaise," a smooth, calm baritone said clearly from the air in front of him, "I doubt I will do anything much at all." Harry faded into view in front of their eyes. He was leaning easily against a tall, black bookcase that held a rather large collection of Dark Arts Quarterly, along with a few artifacts that probably should not be in this school, let alone in the Common Room of a House.

"What the fuck are you doing here, Potter?" Blaise growled as he gestured and Crabbe, Goyle and Nott started forward. Crabbe was cracking his knuckles. "Didn't we do this, just last year on the train Potter?" Zabini laughed.

"They touch him, you die." A steely, dark soprano replied as a second presence appeared in the room.

"You wouldn't dare, Mudblood, there's no Dumbledore to protect you now. Put away that wand and go read a book." Pansy sneered. She tied her robe securely as she came up to Blaise and leaned against his arm.

"Actually," Harry replied without moving, "she would. And by the way Pansy, that will be one hundred points for insulting the Head Girl." Pansy opened her mouth to utter a retort. "Would you rather it be two hundred?"

Zabini put his hand on Pansy's arm, "What do you want Potter? You two could disappear and no one would ever find you."

"If that were the case...Blaise...an hour later, there will be no students older than fifteen in this house, breathing that is." Harry retorted, his voice absolutely flat. Somehow, there was no one in the room who doubted him. Blaise gestured to the other seventh years, and they stopped. Harry nodded.

A dazed fourth year chose that moment to speak up, "You two can't be in here...you're Gryffindors and it's after curfew."

Harry smiled, darkly; his eyes never left Blaise, "Let us pretend, for a moment, that the Head Girl and Head Boy of Hogwarts have just appeared in your common room for a talk." He chuckled to himself, and Hermione followed an instant later as Dumbledore's last appearance to the Dursleys flicked across both their memories. "And let us pretend, for just another moment, that you seem to be mistaken in just what we can and we can't do. Miss Granger?"

Hermione smirked, "Section 3, paragraph 5 of Hogwarts regulations. The Head Students, shall, at their earliest convenience, introduce themselves to the students of the various Houses. Section 3, paragraph 8, the Head Students shall, in the course of their duties, have free and total access to the school, it's grounds and quarters, only excluding the lodgings and offices of the Professors and staff."

"You see Blaise," Harry explained, "Miss Granger and I are here to give our proper introductions, and to ask if any have any problems they would like to discuss?" A sudden, deafening silence answered his call. He smiled kindly, his eyes softening. "The rest of you, the fourth years and below can return to bed." His words were kind, but still, most assuredly a command. Hermione's wand flick and an Imperturbable charm lit the staircases. Harry nodded.

"Very well then. Let us further assume that there are some of you here tonight whom, may have...issues with the Headmistress' sentiments. Let us assure you, that she meant them...every word. And no psychotic, cowardly worm of a Dark Lord will change that fact." A sudden rustling caused robes to billow as hands started to reach for wands. Hermione slashed hers down hard and at least ten people dropped their wands with a shout as their wands suddenly glowed a sullen, heated red.

Hermione's spoke up softly, "Just in case the subtext of Mr. Potter's argument eluded you ladies and gentlemen, let me elucidate. An attack on any of us; is an attack on all of us. The days of moderation in our response to your attacks is at an end, any assault or action will result in an overwhelming response. We fully realize that there are those among you who will not adhere to this, who will think that since they have given insult and have attacked other students for years that they will continue to do so without repercussions. They will find that they are mistaken."

"We also know that there are those in this House, who wish to only peacefully coexist with the rest of the school, those students will always find help if they ask for it." Her eyes flicked to Harry's, "Since we are Gryffindors and remember what honor really is, we are giving you fair warning. At one time this house was known for it's shrewdness, it's ability to judge where the winds are blowing, its ambition... remember ambition is only an option if you are alive to practice it. I would think that you would like to recapture that tradition, of staying out of the way..." A flick of two wrists, a pair of flashes of light and twin, gunshot-like bangs rang out, and Harry and Hermione were gone.


A/N: There it is...did you see that coming. Next chapter, classes start and the gauntlet is thrown down...

Built by Text2Html