Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Circle's End by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Circle's End

madscientist

A/N: Another chapter along the path, longer AN at the end...Thanks as usual to Lady Starlight for her work on this chapter.

Chapter 49: Three to Get Ready
************************Godric's Hollow****************************

May 17, 1998
2:00 pm

Hermione sighed, and leaned against the kitchen counter as Jane, a very, very pregnant Jane, watched her closely. Hermione took a sip of the mug of tea in her hand, swallowing, before she took a absent bite from the cracker in her other hand. "This isn't a casual visit to placate your hormonal mother, is it honey?" Jane asked with a vague touch of humor.

Hermione shrugged, and paced to the back door leading to the back porch overlooking the pitch in the back yard, and in view of a certain hill with a beech tree planted on the top. She pushed the door open, and stepped out into a bright sunlight day. A soft breeze blew off the nearby water, blowing her hair in her face. She pushed it to the side as Jane followed her onto the porch. "No, Mummy," Hermione admitted quietly, "it isn't." She looked up towards the hill; at the dark haired shape she saw kneeling over the white stones that were shaded by the tree.

"What's wrong, Hermione?" Jane asked as she moved closer to her daughter, stopping well within arms' reach. Jane looked at her, then up the hill towards her son-in-law, and closed her eyes for an instant, breathing in heavily. "It's time isn't it, Hermione Jane?" Jane took another breath, and grabbed at her stomach as Anastasia took the opportunity to remind her she was here. Or perhaps, just perhaps she was feeling the spike of emotion running though the other Granger women at this moment.

Hermione nodded slowly, and looked up as Roger crept onto the porch almost as silently as she or Harry would have done themselves. "I had to come and see you....both of you," she added as she looked back at Jane. "I don't think that I will be back...before she's born that is..." Hermione did not add the rest, though it was heard perfectly well by everyone on the porch.

"Or at all, Poppet?" Roger added, and shared a look with Jane. He held his arms out, and caught a flying ball of chestnut hair as Hermione launched herself at him. She buried her face in his chest, shaking slightly. She looked up at him, her eyes slightly blank after a long moment of almost tears.

Up on the hill a shadowed figure sat back down heavily. Hermione's eyes cleared, as she looked up at her father, then over at Jane, "We are going to go on one last mission, then...we'll end it. I can't imagine that we'll wait other than to heal whatever injuries we pick up this time, before we go on, wherever He's hiding...we can't afford not to."

"Why can't you, honey?" Jane asked softly, looking over at her husband as Hermione gathered herself and stepped back away from him, to lean against the railing facing them. Roger made a gesture towards Hermione, nodding, already knowing what Hermione's point was.

"Because, Mum..." Hermione looked towards Roger, then her eyes flicked towards the hill, and back. "We can't...every day we wait, more people are killed, tortured...more innocent Muggles and Muggleborns used to entertain, his troops. We can't afford to wait...it's an odd race really," she added as she looked down, her bottom lip between her teeth for a moment, "If we wait...he adds more support, kills more of ours off...but at the same time, Harry and I, not to mention the rest...we get stronger. If we had five, sod it, two years, where we could become more comfortable with our powers, train the rest of the DA, get the Auror ranks rebuilt...But we don't, and we never will." Hermione swallowed heavily, "We are going to win, Mum, Dad, I can't let myself think any other way, for Anna so she can live free, if nothing else, but... I love you both so much," Hermione choked out, as she sped across the distance to Jane and hugged her. She only vaguely noticed as Roger wrapped his arms around both of them.

Hermione broke away after a minute, tears still streaming from her eyes. "I...have to go," she announced, and Jane nodded mutely. Hermione waved one last time and vanished.

The pair still on the porch looked up at the hill as a second figure joined the first, who stood and caught the second in his arms. Jane and Roger watched as Hermione buried her face in Harry's shoulder, and his arms tightened around her as his head fell to meet hers. The pair vanished between two heartbeats without a sound, and down below, Jane spun into Roger's arms, and cried silently.

********************Hogwarts, Room of Requirement*************************

May 20, 1998
9:20 pm

The fully assembled cast of the DA: the entire Gryffindor fourth through seventh years, almost the same of the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs, and a few scattered Slytherin outcasts such as Daphne Greengrass who were literally taking their life in their own hands to attend, were packed into the Room of Requirement, at least those who had started their academic careers at Hogwarts. The displaced Beauxbatons students, save for a very few trusted ones, such as the former heads of that destroyed school, were not here, which had taken a tremendously complicated distraction charm by the Hogwarts Head Girl to pull off.

The student members of the DA were not the only ones in attendance tonight, as a subtle sense of anxiety, filled the air. Every Weasley, exclusive of Arthur and Molly, was crowded into the room, along the walls, Fred and George, standing with Angelina and Alicia, talking lowly, with Katie standing next to Fleur, animatedly asking questions about her pregnancy.

The rest of the Order, the few that were left, were standing in a small clump, Remus, Tonks, McGonagall, and a couple of scattered others. Interestingly, a tiny form, standing on a low table, looked around. McGonagall had brought in Flitwick as she thought, as Assistant Headmaster, he should know. He watched, interestedly as one of his Ravenclaws, the one that he thought just might be as bright as the current Head Girl that he had lamented loosing to Gryffindor for seven years now, slid into the room, her hand held tightly in the hand of the youngest male Weasley.

She let go of his hand as her and Ron slipped through the crowds to stand next to another pair standing nearly motionless at the head of the room. Luna bent close to Hermione, and muttered something in her ear. Hermione nodded, and without looking at Hermione or Luna, Harry nodded to her and stepped up onto a low platform.

The low mutter of dozens of conversations died away, as Harry cleared his throat, "Love?" he asked, and Hermione nodded, stepping up next to him and flicking her fingers in the direction of the center of the room. Flitwick's eyes widened as he noticed the casual wandless magic.

"Wewelsburg Castle," Hermione announced as a large, ghostly three-dimensional image of a triangular keep appeared over the heads of the gathered group. A faint murmur came from the direction of McGonagall, and Flitwick as they leaned together. Hermione shared a look with Harry, "For those of you who don't know, which will be many of you as the Ministry actively hid the information, this location was the site where Dumbledore killed Grindelwald on March 31st of nineteen forty five. History, Muggle history, anyway, says that this castle was destroyed on that date, two days before advancing American forces could reach it, when retreating German forces blew it up...The truth is, it was destroyed in the fighting between Dumbledore and Grindelwald and his forces.

"Why are we going to a big ruin then?" Neville asked, his head slightly cocked as he considered the floating image of the castle.

"We aren't" she replied, looking around at each of the folks crowded into the room, "the castle was rebuilt by the Muggles staring in nineteen forty nine, it is fully reconstructed now." She ran her bottom lip through her teeth and held Harry's eyes for a moment. A conversation passed, and he nodded.

"Voldemort left something there, we think, something that he would really rather us not to have," Harry replied and flicked his fingers at the projection. "We do not know, exactly, where it is in the castle, but we do know a bit about what we can expect when we get there."

Hermione nodded, she motioned towards the projection again and several spots in and around the image of the castle suddenly glowed with flaming red X(s). She took a step forward and her wand appeared in her hand from nowhere. A thin red beam shot out of the end, and she used it to start to indicate the spots. "The knowledge we do know comes from a couple of sources. First, a great deal comes about from the journal of an admitted thief, who in the late fifties, went into this castle, which at the time was only partially reconstructed. At that time, he and another nine individuals went in after "supposed treasure". He was the only one to come out alive."

Hermione paused, and let that information sink in. "From that journal, from various descriptions of the, deaths, of his companions, we are estimating right now, that Voldemort set into place multiple traps, that were triggered by magical signatures. We think, from the descriptions," she shared a rueful look with her husband, "and from our own various...experiences..."

Hermione turned as Ron laughed softly, and silently crooked an eyebrow at the blonde standing at his side. Luna frowned and reached up, "OW!" Ron howled as she rapped him smartly on the back of the head. Luna glared at him a moment, as the rest of the Weasleys, even Ginny, chuckled slightly at his discomfiture, before they all turned back to Hermione at her and Luna's joint glares.

"From those bits of knowledge, we have determined, that there is most likely at least some Inferi on site, along with, we believe a Basilisk, from the deaths described of two of the thief's party, and several magically triggered traps of a more mundane pedigree." She flicked the glowing beam around the image and several points flashed. "The rest of what we think we see, we got from Hedwig overflying the castle with a recording orb tied to her leg. From that, we see these rock pillars, here, here, here and here," Hermione moved her pointer to four spots surrounding the castle in a rough square. "These four points mark out a ward boundary. Muggles probably dismissed them as random piles of rocks, but, I think...it's a death ward."

"A Death Line," Remus objected and stepped closer to the projection, he looked over at Hermione, frowning slightly, "you know I don't doubt your skills, or knowledge, Hermione, but those are damn near impossible to cast, and we know that that other group made it in."

"Normally, Remus," she replied, shrugging, "I would agree with you, but this was Voldemort...from the residual magics, this ward was set to go off only if someone grabbed the...item of interest, so they would have never triggered it." He nodded, agreeing.

"Hermione gave you all the brief outline, and we have copies of the published layout of the castle, as it is a Muggle site, there was literature available on both it...and its past. For those of you who wonder if we are doing the sane thing, read them, Tom will be worse if he wins," Harry added unnecessarily.

"Who's going, Harry?" Seamus asked, tightening his arms around Padma as she leaned back against him. She tucked her head under his chin, and sighed, closing her eyes for a moment. The crowd's attention instantly sharpened, focusing in on Harry like a spotlight.

He shrugged, thrusting his hands deep into his jeans pockets and looking down, then over at Hermione. She took a step to his side, slipping her free hand into his jean pocket along with his own hand. Hermione leaned against him slightly, as he cleared his throat, and looked out at the DA, his effective command for a long moment, as he knew that every face, was ready to leave tonight, without even knowing what they were going after, at just his word. He gave them a faint smile, "Here's the plan. If we had time, we would spend time having the Room better train us for what we will encounter, but, honestly, I don't think we know enough now. So...we are going in heavy...but not as heavy as we could be. All seventh years, and Luna and Ginny will go," Harry announced softly and several of the younger students made loud, annoyed noises.

"We can help too, Harry," Honor objected loudly from the middle of the pack. McGonagall looked away suddenly from the scene, closing her steel-grey eyes tightly and taking a deep breath.

"I know you can, Honor, and honestly, if Dumbledore were alive, where I thought I could risk it...I'd take the entire DA...but we can't. We will leave," he looked down at his watch, "in about thirty-five hours, on the morning of the twenty-second. We will portkey to a spot about three kilometers from the castle, where we will set up camp, it over looks the castle, and we will observe for a day until we go in. As it will be a Friday, the only class the majority of us will miss will be DADA," Harry added, looking directly at Remus, "I also seem to predict that the Professor of the Dark Arts, will catch a nasty twenty-four-hour virus, causing class to be dismissed."

Harry looked to Neville, "Neville, is your Gran still wanting to help?" He nodded, and Harry smiled slightly, "She is about to get deathly ill on Friday then."

"Wha..." Neville replied, stunned. He looked Harry in the eyes for a long moment, "Oh...I see."

"Then how about you enlighten the rest of us then, Mate?" Dean growled and several of the DA members laughed.

Harry nodded, "Neville will have to go see his Grandmother as she "could pass" any day now, and she is the Head of the Longbottom Family, a post that will devolve on Neville?" Neville nodded. "Of course the closely allied families of Potter, Black, Gryffindor will also have to go in a show of support, along with an appropriate escort for these perilous times. The seventh years, minus Susan," Harry frowned as he looked at the blonde Hufflepuff, "I'm sorry Susan, but with that recent bought of the Wizard's Flu you just got over, your magic isn't exactly reliable." She frowned; then hiccupped, and a book in front of her turned into a plate of Haggis. She shrugged and watched as Ernie vanished it with a flick of his wand.

Harry turned back to Honor, and the rest of the DA, that had been told that they would not get to go on this perilous mission, "All of the DA, who is not going...Saturday, when we will be gone as well, is the last Hogsmeade trip for the year, go, we can't be looking suspicious, but keep an eye out, and be ready for anything...If Merlin forbid, something happens, it will be up to you...if you are overwhelmed, your first priority is to get everyone out you can and run."

"Moony," Hermione put in, looking at him and Tonks, "We are counting on you...for more than one thing..."

"I will handle it, Hermione."

"I know you will, Remus," Hermione replied, "as to you who are going, have your gear with you, all of it...depending on several factors...getting the...item, may not be the end of this mission, but the beginning. Be loaded for heavy combat, blacks, weapons, gadgets, everything." She looked at the other students that were not going, "That goes for all of you, have your gear ready to roll, and when you go to Hogsmeade, take your tricks bags from the Twins, just in case." Hermione swallowed, licking her lips as she looked over at Harry, who was slightly pale, though only she could probably notice it. "As of right now, we are on, what my Dad always called lockdown, no one, is to communicate outside of the castle, without the Headmistress', mine or Harry's permission, until after we leave. We trust you all, but we don't trust that some minor fact might slip into the wrong hands."

Everyone get as much rest as you can...and unless you really feel the need to revise for your NEWTs one last time," Harry said and Hermione gave him a small smile, "spend it with your friends, significant others, whatever...it's not going to be pretty."

***********************Head's Chambers****************************

May 21, 1998
6:30 pm

"Do you want to go get something to eat?" Harry whispered, running his fingers slowly up and down his wife's bare arm. Hermione shook her head, leaning back against him, and pulling a light blanket tighter around their shoulders. "Mione, you haven't eaten anything since yesterday evening at dinner." A soft smell of blooming flowers wafted in the open window from the new beds Madame Sprout had planted directly below Gryffindor Tower, almost nine stories below.

Hermione glanced back at him, smirking slightly, "Harry...we haven't been out of bed since last night."

"I seem to remember something like that," he muttered in her ear, she giggled softly, and sighed, rolling over to face him. He closed his eyes as she slowly traced her fingers along the scar on his forehead, "You do make an impression, Love."

Hermione slowly pushed her leg back between his, and leaned up, pressing her lips to his. She sighed softly as she opened her mouth, letting him deepen the kiss. She pulled away slightly, kissing his nose before letting her head fall back to his shoulder, "I hope so...you know me, I don't do anything halfway," she grinned as Harry kissed her forehead, and pulled her closer to him. She squeaked softly as he reached down and grabbed her bum, Harry! He laughed softly, she closed her eyes, snuggling tighter, any fleeting gap between them vanishing utterly.

You don't want to face them, do you, Mione? he inquired softly. She shrugged, looking over Harry's shoulder at the late afternoon sky outside of their window. So what do you want to do? A slightly, salacious grin answered his question, and he laughed. Hermione's stomach chose that moment to growl, loudly, and she sighed.

Can we just have Dobby bring us something? Hermione pleaded, holding his eyes with huge, brown ones.

Sure, Hermione...but aren't you the one who...

I would...if I didn't happen to know that we pay Dobby better than most human retainers, Harry. Besides...it makes him happy...don't you dare tell Ron I said that...

Harry did not smile, as he ran his fingers down her back a couple of times before rolling on his back and sitting up, unthinkingly holding the blanket to keep it covering Hermione to her shoulders, What do you want, Mione? Harry asked as he stood and pulled on a pair of sweatpants from the floor next to the bed.

Sandwich or something, Harry, I don't care.

Harry nodded as he stopped next to their desk and grabbed the post, sorting through it rapidly, setting aside a pair of letters from Gringotts as he binned the rest, mostly unwanted advertisements. A single red envelope bounced on the desk, he rolled his eyes as he flicked his fingers and the Howler vanished. From the address, it was another of the ones addressed to Hermione that she still occasionally received, now that it was out that they were 'dating'. Harry opened his mouth to speak, and a soft POP came from the direction of the couch.

Dobby looked up at him, from his new post on the seat of the couch, "I did not sees yous or Mistress Hermione, at dinner, Harry Potter, sir, I brought yous a bit of dinner." Dobby looked over at Hermione as she sat up in the bed, holding the cover to her.

"Thank you, Dobby," Hermione said and the tiny elf beamed.

"Dos you need anything else, sirs, ma'am..."

"No, Dobby," Harry replied almost laughing. Dobby smiled crookedly and vanished. Hermione did laugh as she stood from the bed, letting the cover fall away, as she moved over to Harry. She kissed him, before grabbing a long t-shirt from the closet on the way to the couch. Hermione waited as he sat down and stretched out along the couch, before curling up in his lap. Harry looked down at the platter of sandwiches, and selected a roast beef for himself, and a turkey one for Hermione, and set them on a plate, along with a pile of crisps. He parked the plate in midair before wrapping his left arm around Hermione's waist, his fingers pushing up the hem of her shirt to cradle the curve of her hip, holding her in place against him.

Hermione smiled up at him, before taking a small bite of her sandwich, she swallowed, and bent her head back, letting him kiss her, "I knew I should have had the turkey," Harry muttered and she laughed. Her face fell slightly as she looked back towards their bed for a moment, at the sword leaning in its stand next to Harry's usual side of the bed. His eye followed hers as if linked, which they were in a sense, and the fingers of the hand on her hip started to move up and down slowly, "Me too, Mione."

Neville should get that Owl about now, Hermione mentioned, her 'voice' slightly strained. Harry nodded, as she looked down at the hand on her hip, she watched the inset Runes on Harry's ring appear and glow for an instant before fading away again, There's no turning back is there, Harry...

The Snitch is away, yeah, he replied, as he took a bite of his sandwich. Hermione nodded, and watched as her Familiar entered the room, a small cat door magically appearing and vanishing in the door to the main common room. Crookshanks hopped up on the couch and lay down across Hermione's bare legs, before looking up with a pleading expression. Hermione rolled her eyes before feeding him a bit of her turkey. He purred, rolling on her legs.

You ready to go, Crooks? Hermione asked, and he looked up at her, and gave an eerily human-like nod. Are you sure? You don't have to... Crookshanks moved up her body before to push against her belly, rubbing just below the lion emblem stretched across her chest. Hermione slowly started to run her hand along his fur as she leaned her head back and buried her face in Harry's neck, as tears slipped free.

*************************Riddle Manor*******************************
May 22, 1998
8:00 am

The being once known as Tom Riddle-once a being who could have been one of the great White Wizards, whose name could have been have been regaled with those of Merlin, Dumbledore and others-strode down the center of a dark, seemingly endless cavern. The great chamber had been created with only a tithe of his magic, easily replenished, deep beneath the ancestral manor that he used, even as he denounced the existence of that half of his bloodline. That presence, once one who could have been the brightest of lights, was now a dark, twisted void, because of a choice made long ago. He stepped up onto a large, raised platform, followed by his dark...concubine, and petted his Familiar as he sat on a twisted, black throne, a demented duplicate of the Golden Throne that his once greatest rival had occupied.

A scurrying council surrounded him, a group as dark and twisted in their own ways, in many ways, as he himself. A group of traitors, cowards, thieves, rapists, murderers, and worse, they stood unmasked before they kneeled as one to the throne. He smiled, his lipless mouth stretching over sharp teeth as he looked to either side, and his concubine curled under his hand, a Familiar of a different sort.

A dark tide filled the room, as never-ending lines of black-robed figures in white masks of death, looked up at him. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of pawns ready in his quest to remake the Wizarding and Muggle worlds in his own dark, twisted image. He nodded, looking out over them, at the portion of his forces that he trust in close consort. The still darker ones, the Inferi, Giants, Trolls, Dementors, they waited beyond, already positioned under Cloaking Wards, the power of which only the vanished Dumbledore could have equaled. He looked to one side of the large gathering, at a large group, at least a hundred, perhaps twice that many, that held together almost like a pack of wolves, even though their appearance was as the others.

Voldemort, standing from his throne, paced to the edge of the stage, and paused as faces, both covered and not, looked to him. "In the morning, we end this war...Their great protector, the old fool is gone. Only a boy stands between us and our rightful destiny," his voice thundered out over the cavern. "Our rightful society has been twisted, corrupted, bringing foul creatures into our homes, our rightful slaves, calling them our equals. Mudbloods, half-bloods, creatures of the basest form, they will bend their necks to our every whim," a dark hissing laughter greeted his words, "or they will die in pain."

A dark, cheer answered his words, filling the cavern with a hungry noise, like an immense pack of jackals ready to descend on one wounded lion. "Go my legions, go and await my call, await the call to victory..."

************************Hogwarts**************************

May 22, 1998
10:00 am

A large group assembled on the lawn of the school, all of them in their finest dress robes, or formal gowns, most with black bands of mourning around their arms. They stood in small groups, with an almost nervous appearance, mostly in couples or small clumps of friends, talking quietly amongst themselves. In the center of the group of twenty or so, a trio stood closely together, two girls; one with night-black ruler-straight hair, and the other with flaxen, curled hair; wrapped closely, protectively, around a tall young man in black robes.

Another girl, the exact doppelganger of the dark-haired girl stepped up and kissed the man on the cheek, whispering something in his ear. He nodded appreciably, and watched for an instant as she moved away to stand in the arms of another wizard, who kissed her forehead before she curled against him, waiting. A solidly built young black man walked up to him and clasped the second wizard on the shoulder before walking over to the trio to also share a quiet word with the obviously in-mourning, young man.

The rest of the group of other young wizards and witches gathered in the courtyard were fidgeting, some of them looking towards the ones in the center with troubled expressions. They all looked up as another quartet emerged from the castle, walking quickly, but unhurriedly, towards the trio. The pair in the lead, a slim, black-haired man in black robes, held tightly to the hand of his companion, a witch in a dress of emerald and sapphire jewel tones, the same as on the small heraldic shield on her wizard's breast.

Harry nodded to the other pair, a tall, red-haired man who occasionally fidgeted at his robes. He let go of the blonde's hand to pull her tight to him, as they stood and waited. Harry led Hermione up to Neville, Parvati and Lavender, "Lord Longbottom," he greeted formally.

"Lord Potter," he replied, "Lady Potter," he added much more softly, and Hermione gave him a small smile, "thank you, for coming."

"Your house is mine," Harry replied, and stepped forward, clasping Neville's hand firmly, "Shall we?" Neville nodded quickly, and Harry stepped back, "Let's go ladies and gentlemen." As one the entire group clumped around Ministry-supplied Portkeys and vanished in a fall of color and a rush of wind.

Far above, in a window looking down at the courtyard, Grayson Sneade, who was still under derision from his master after his failure to deal with the Mudblood, turned and started at a trot towards the Slytherin Dungeons. He ran past several hallways of armor and turned a corner, heading for the stairs leading down into the dungeons. He never noticed as he stepped into a puddle, before changing in two strides into a giant, man-sized duck. He quacked and looked down disbelievingly.

"Oh, Heavens," an annoyed burr said as McGonagall came around the corner, "it seems that you need to go to Madame Pomfrey immediately, Mr. Sneade. Let's go," McGonagall grabbed a wing and started to tow the Slytherin towards the Hospital Wing.

Behind her, a soft giggle erupted, as a tiny, platinum-haired girl slipped from the shadows. "I knew that Zed and 'orge would like that." Gabrielle continued giggling as she looked though a bag at her side, full of a care package from the twins who had found a kindred spirit in their new sister.

*******************Pendle Hill**********************

A half-dozen vortexes appeared and vanished, disgorging the assembled wizards and witches, who an instant ago had been standing on the lawn at Hogwarts. Harry's hands flashed out, grabbing Hermione as she took a tottering step from the momentum transfer, and stabilizing himself at the same time. She mouthed thanks, and reached down, pulling off her heels and tossing them at a trunk set next to the wall of the large dining room they had appeared in.

Augusta Longbottom, a rather healthy woman for one who was on her deathbed, moved quickly across the polished hardwood floor, inlaid with the Longbottom crest. She did not pause as she threw her arms around Neville, and kissed his cheek. "Be careful, Neville," she whispered, her voice full of unshed tears, "I'm proud of you..." He gulped silently as she let go and gave both Parvati and Lavender hugs in turn, pulling them to her rather strongly. "Take care of him," she muttered.

"We will, Gran," Parvati replied softly. Parvati kissed her on the cheek before both her and Lavender started to move towards the trunks that Dobby, Winky and the Longbottom's elf were levitating in from another room.

Harry looked over and saw as Augusta handed Neville a small, black box; his eyes widened suddenly before he kissed her and she left the room, nodding to Harry on the way out. "Here you go, Harry," Tonks said as she walked into the room, carrying an armload of rolled up newspapers. She dumped them in a pile at his feet and brushed off her hands on the legs of her black leather pants. Another two cloaked figures followed her reluctantly, walking from the doorway over to stand next to the unlit fireplace. The shorter of the pair, an obvious girl, sighed and dropped her hood, letting her distinctive red hair become visible. The wizard with her kept his hood up, hiding his features, but let Ginny lean against him, her hair falling like blood over the shoulder of his black cloak.

Harry crooked an eyebrow, "Clubbing, Tonks?"

"Fighting, dumbarse," she replied and Hermione snorted. They all looked as Dobby came back in the room, floating a cage. He lowered it and opened the door with a snap of his fingers and stepped away quickly as Crookshanks padded out, looking annoyed. He sauntered over to Hermione, and wrapped himself around her feet, pushing aside her skirts to rub against her legs.

"Alright, Tonks, we have it from here," Harry said and Tonks nodded, before she shot forward, pulling him into a hug as tears started to bloom in her eyes.

"Be careful, you lot," she whispered hoarsely, before she leaned up to kiss him on the cheek. Harry nodded as she stepped back and pulled Hermione into a hug as well, whispering in her ear, "You better make it back, sis, I need you stand up with me as soon as I convince Remus to actually get the ball started." Hermione nodded, tears in her eyes as well as Tonks kissed her cheek, stepped back and vanished with a soft POP.

Harry took a deep breath, and looked around at the DA members looking back at him. Several were already digging equipment and much more serviceable clothing from the trunks the elves had brought in. "Alright, let's get ready." A flurry of movement answered his quiet call as the DA members started sliding out of the dress robes they had had on.

Harry followed Hermione over to a trunk that Dobby had brought in, one with his crest on it. "Undo me, Harry," she whispered, turning her back to him and pulling her hair forward over one shoulder. He unlaced the back of her formal gown, a lacing that went all the way down her back. Harry absently kissed the bare skin of her shoulder as he started to push the shoulders of the gown down. She smiled back at him and kissed him, before turning her back on the rest of the room and letting her gown fall to the floor unselfconsciously. Harry glanced around the rest of the room, and then back at his wife as he shrugged out of his dress robes, revealing him to be in the blacks he normally favored for a time like this.

This is fun, Harry sent wryly as he watched Hermione undo the twin sheaths she had been concealing under her skirts on her thighs and hand them back to him. I'm in a room with a whole bunch of half-naked, heavily-armed girls...Beautiful women, he amended quickly as Hermione made a silent, tutting noise.

You aren't going to leave me for any of them, are you? Hermione smiled back over her shoulder as she pulled on a pair of black cargo pants, matching Harry's, bouncing once to settle them comfortably and buttoned them. She shrugged into a matching shirt, and pulled her hair out from the collar as she turned back to him.

No...you pretty much are the best one here, Harry answered with utter and complete seriousness as she knelt down, quickly pulling on her socks and lacing her boots. He chanced a glance back around, Though...I wonder if Parvati and Padma went in on a sale with Tonks. Hermione hijacked his vision and chuckled silently.

Do you think that either of them watches Muggle Television?

I dunno, why?

Hermione shrugged, smirking slightly, Seamus dropped his pack with a loud, clattering sound. Padma bent down and started to help him pick up, as Hermione turned to Harry and leaned against him slightly, as she reached up and back to tie her hair in a tail. The chakram and the pants remind me of some show I've seen once or twice.

Yeah, Dudley was fascinated with that one...Harry replied softly; time having dulled that wound. Neither of them is that tall, though...Harry kissed her quickly before he stepped back, and grabbed the Sword from the trunk and slipped its sheath over his head to hang crossways down his back. He drew it an inch or two, slamming it back into the sheath, before he tested the fit of his wand in its sheath. He looked up as Hannah finished tying her hair back, the last of the girls to get ready. The entire seventh year DA, minus Susan who was still back at Hogwarts, along with a pair here because they might be useful, looked at him with expressions of both edginess and impatience.

Harry felt Hermione's hand slip into his; he glanced over to share a quick, fleeting smile. "Let's go," he said simply.

A/N:

Okay folks, I almost never do this, but since JKR put out an interview talking about people dying in the end, I thought I would too....

First, people will die here; they will die horribly, tragically, uselessly, heroically, and just messily. It's the way it has to be; we are dealing with pure evil, true and a hell of a lot of it. Sorry...

Characters that are beloved will die, and characters that are despised will die. That is the way of things...I'm sorry. There will be more than two characters that will die; in fact there has already been more than two mainline characters to die. But like JKR, at least one person who was to have gotten the Kedavra, will live.

Also like JKR, the last chapter is written, and has been for ohh....a month or two now, but it doesn't end with "scar", though I may change that.

Unlike JKR, they will SHAG even more, though I'm not promising when or how much, or whom. (If you don't know what I mean here, there is an old Today Show interview with Katie Couric.) He He....

When the hammer drops, you'll know it...

Next Chapter: A trip overseas, and some other stuff.


Built by Text2Html