Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Circle's End by madscientist
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Circle's End

madscientist

A/N: Here we go, the start of the recovery. Thanks as usual to Lady Starlight for her work on this chapter, it is appreciated.
Chapter 59: The Long Road Back...
*******************************Hogwarts*********************************

July 7, 1998.

10:00am

A soft breeze blew off the lake, scented with the flowers from beds planted around the Quidditch Pitch, some of the first repairs to be completed at Hogwarts, due to the awards ceremony that was slated to be held in a few days. That did not matter to either of the two standing, looking down at a pair of simple white stones, both of them new and unstained with the passage of time, just like several other markers, all of them contrasting sharply, brutally, with the other markers filling the thousand-year-old cemetery on the Hogwarts grounds.

Slowly, Hermione felt her legs give under her, and Harry's hands as he eased them both down to the soft grass in front of the markers for a pair of empty graves, the bodies never found under the wreckage of the castle. Silent tears wetted her cheeks as she leaned back against him, shaking slightly. Harry dropped his face to her neck, pinching her skin with the frames of his glasses, but she only reached up and back, cradling the back of his head. After a long moment, Harry lifted his face, taking off his glasses and setting them aside as he wiped wet eyes. "We're sorry we haven't been by," Harry said, his words drifting away on the breeze. Hermione nodded, her lip in her teeth. "We just got out of the Hospital Wing, Poppy was being a pain again..."

"Yeah," Hermione agreed, her voice tight, "honestly, you'd think by know she'd know that Harry, has to spend the end of the year in there..." She reached forward, from her seat on the grass a foot or two in front of the makers, and traced her fingers along the inscription, "Ronald Bilius Weasley, the bravest of us all". A small lion sat under Ron's name on the stone, and as she looked over, to her left, Ron's right, she found Luna's marker as well. A small eagle sat on a branch with wings unfurled. Flowers, scrolls and stuffed animals, along with a small Gryffindor flag cluttered the ground at the base of the markers, and Hermione gestured in the air, and a small, odd, stuffed animal, that may very well have been a Crumple-Horned Snorkack, appeared. She sat it in front of Luna's marker, and sat back, Harry's arms tightening around her.

"They are giving us medals," Harry said, bitterly, his hands twisting together on Hermione's stomach. She reached down and clasped both of them in hers, as Harry went on, "I don't know why...you are the ones that deserve them, you, Lavender, Neville, Parvati...all of you...you didn't have to follow us..." He stopped swallowing heavily, as Hermione made a soft, choked sound. "We are going to Remus and Tonks' wedding in a bit, they wanted Hermione and me to stand up with them, we don't really want to, not because we don't like them, but...we just don't... But we love them too much to not be there for them, they were there for us."

"We'll eat too much, for you, at the reception, Ron," Hermione added quietly and Harry cracked a bare smile, nodding. "Draco gave Ginny a ring, yesterday, or at least she was wearing it, I half suspect that she's had it for a while. I know that you hated it, Ron, that she was with him, but she seems...happy, more or less. Your mum doesn't know anything yet, no one's told her, and we won't be the ones to."

"We are leaving after that ceremony, we weren't going to go to that at all, but Remus and Dumbledore said we should..." Harry whispered, "Its too tough here, can't think, can hardly breathe...the minute the Prophet found out we were awake, they tried to smuggle in reporters...gave us some codswallop about the 'people' having a 'right to know'..." he sighed, "Where the hell were these people, when we were fighting for our lives...for that matter, where were they when they let Riddle and Fudge, and all the rest of them that caused this, rise to power?"

"We'll be back," Hermione promised, squeezing Harry's hand, "though we don't know when. And we'll see you again, someday, it'll be s...sooner than you think." She looked down at her watch and scrubbed at her eyes. They stood, leaning together, "We have to go now," Hermione took a breath, "We love you both, t...thank y...you." Harry nodded and kissed her hair as she turned and buried her face in his shoulder, sobbing softly.

"Ron...Luna...Ron you always were my brother, and Luna, you became the sister I never had," Harry whispered, "we won't be apart forever...I'll see you again, I won't say goodbye." Harry let go of Hermione, and stepped forward, kissing the top of each stone. He watched as Hermione kissed her fingers, then pressed them to first Ron, then Luna's marker. She took a step back and interlaced their fingers.

The pair vanished silently, from one breath to the next, leaving behind only the now-empty graveyard, filled with a thousand years of heroes and heroines.

*****************************The Burrow*******************************

4:20 pm

Hermione crossed to a table, set back away from the reception currently filling the late afternoon with laughter and music. She looked back towards the dance floor where Remus and Tonks were dancing together, Tonks with her head down on Remus' chest, and tears in her dark eyes. Hermione set down a pair of drinks in front of Harry, before she sat down on his lap, leaning back against him and taking a drink of her cocktail.

"Thanks, Mione," Harry muttered, taking a sip of the firewhisky she had brought from the bar. Remus and Tonks had planned, hoped really, to have a simple, exchange of rings in front of Dumbledore or Arthur or someone, but that had changed the instant Molly Weasley had heard of their plans. She immediately moved in like a small hurricane, and within days of her first hearing of the pair's plans, there was already planning underway to have another wedding at the Burrow. "Do you want to dance?" Harry asked softly, leaning close to her ear, and tracing his fingers along her side.

Hermione shook her head minutely, snuggling closer and letting her head drop back against his shoulder. "Not really, do you want to?"

"I was just offering, in case you wanted to," Harry replied honestly, and she nodded. "I love you," he added softly, and she smiled, slightly, for a beat. The wedding, of which only weeks before had been a low grade Auror and her werewolf partner, had suddenly become one of the events of the year. An excuse for the hangers on, of the Ministry and society, to come by and wish the new Chief Auror and his bride well, who as of this morning was Head of Field Investigations, as well. Or at least seem to. The stigma of Lupin's condition, not that there really was a 'condition' any longer since his breakthrough into conscious control that dark morning at Hogwarts, was still perceived. But no pure blood bigot, and they still existed, would dare to say a word against him, not now. Not now, when in only a few days, he along with Tonks, Harry and Hermione, would become the four newest living recipients of the Order of Merlin, First Class.

All of that and more, the more the obvious hole next to them, was the reason that Harry and Hermione sat alone at a secluded table, cuddled together and drinking occasionally from the expansive bar that the Ministry had provided for the event. The only persons that either of them could stand to see at this moment, were either tied up getting married, at home with their not-even, two-month-old, or busy with other things. Because of that, Hermione had cast a minor Confundus on the area around their table, tailoring it to repel those who had not stepped through the fires with them.

"Can we join you?" a soft voice, no longer timid, asked from their right. Harry and Hermione looked up together, and both of them managed a smile at Neville and Parvati. Both of them looked as tired and drawn as Harry and Hermione felt. Parvati was clutching Neville's arm as if afraid he would leave. They sat opposite the former Hogwarts' Heads, Parvati taking a seat on Neville's knee.

"How are you doing, Parvati?" Hermione asked of her former roommate. From anyone else, the question would have been unwelcome, possibly even a touch condescending, but from her, or Harry, it was what it was.

Parvati smiled at Dobby as the Potters' retainer appeared with a pair of drinks for the pair, a flute of champagne from the fountain bubbling in another section of the garden, and an Old Ogden's for Neville. Parvati shrugged as she looked back up at Hermione, her smile faltering a touch, and reached for the flute with her left hand. A blue-white stone sparkled on a platinum band, the only jewelry she wore except for an identical ring, hanging on a chain around her neck, sparkling against her black dress. "We're alright...Padma and Seamus say hello, she's going to be fine, now that they figured out what she was hit with."

"That's good...we were going to try to slip in and see her tomorrow," Harry said as he glanced over at the dance floor, where Ginny was dancing with Draco, under the gimlet eye of Molly, who was being visibly restrained in turn by Arthur's gentle hand on her shoulder. "But..." Harry went on, and shrugged.

"It's fine, Harry, Hermione," Padma replied, reaching across the table and grabbing Hermione's hand for an instant, "The bloody reporters bother us enough as it is...you can see her when it calms down."

"That's the thing," Harry replied, his voice weary, "We haven't really told anyone yet, except Ron and Luna..." Parvati and Neville nodded, they too had spoken to a stone entirely too much recently, "but we are leaving after that Merlin-damned ceremony...We aren't going to disappear, though it is tempting, I expect that we'll leave a means to contact us with Dumbledore or Remus, but we can't be here for a while..."

"I understand, Harry," Neville replied, he looked back towards the main part of the party where the Twins were laughing at a small, yellow turkey that gobbled its way across the dance floor, but even their normal ebullience seemed muted. "We are headed back to Pendle Hill after this, Parvati's parents' came back," Parvati's eyes flashed angrily, and Neville leaned forward, kissing her cheek, "and Gran is entertaining them at the Longbottom ancestral home," an odd smile flitted across his lips, "I think that we are going to get away with something small. You both are invited of course," he added thoughtfully.

"We'd love to, Neville," Harry replied, glancing down at his wife, "but it might be better for all concerned if we don't, I doubt we'll be back, anyway...Congrats on your appointment to take the Herbology slot, by the way."

"Thanks...Sprout decided she couldn't take another year of this, she's taken a position with a research coven in California," Neville shook his head, "the weather is nicer, anyway, there." He took a breath, "Harry, Hermione, you know that you are welcome anytime, at our place." Parvati nodded and looked around. She tipped back her flute, and set it down, finishing it in a pair of long gulps before she stood and grabbed Neville's hand.

"We just wanted to stop by before we left," Parvati said, and stepped back, letting Neville pull her back against him. "We'll see you later, then." Parvati and Neville vanished with a soft, double POP as the Potters nodded.

Harry watched the empty space where they had just been, and sighed. "When do you want to go, Hermione?"

"We're going back to Grimmauld, right?" Hermione replied as she stretched slightly on Harry's lap, to look around some unknown wizard in yellow robes, talking to Arthur, to catch sight of the bride and groom. Tonks was smiling, though Hermione could tell the emotion did not reach her eyes as she was approached by some Ministry appointee in MLE colors, a bureaucrat that had not fought in the Ministry battle. Lupin came back up to her, kissing her on the cheek and handing her a glass of something. Tonks thanked her and glanced over, catching Hermione's eye and giving a small, inconspicuous 'wait-a-minute' gesture down by her leg.

A few minutes later, Hermione and Harry looked over to their right as Remus and Tonks faded into view. Hermione sprung up from Harry's lap to wrap her arms around the older woman, "Gonna take off, little sis?" Tonks muttered, and Hermione nodded, stepping back to hug Remus.

"I don't think we can take any more," Harry looked over as Molly walked among the guests, "happiness-I think that we are going to head back to Grimmauld for the night, head back to Hogwarts in the morning."

"I understand, Harry," Remus said, smiling. He reached forward and took Harry's hand, pulling him into a hug, before letting him go for Tonks to inflict the same. "You know that my door is always open, Harry, Hermione, any time," he held both of their gazes, "I mean it, anytime, anything, you need."

"I know, Moony," Harry said with a small, half-smile, I know."

*************************Hogwarts**************************

July 12, 1998

12:35 am

Flags fluttered over the repaired stands surrounding the pitch, as hundreds and hundreds of wizards and witches in their finest looked down at a small, raised wooden stage near the north goals, the goals which coincidentally were overlooked by the Gryffindor stands. Those stands were filled to overflowing with young witches and wizards, most dressed somberly, but all with at least a touch of red and gold about their persons, even if only a pin or rosette.

The rest of the upper stands were filled with students and former students of other houses, of parents and others not influential enough to gain seats on the field itself. The packed rows of seats on the grass were filled with members of the Wizengamot, of old, moneyed families and of Aurors in dress uniforms. The soft buzz of innumerable conversations died away as a thin, balding red-haired man slowly mounted the stage and walked to a dais set in the center. Behind him, standing in a rough line broken here and there by a conspicuously empty spot, a dozen wizards and witches, some in Auror midnight, some in dress robes, watched him silently. A tall, auburn-haired wizard walked up to stand at the balding man's side, his purple robes and the gold seal of the Chief Warlock glinting in the summer sun.

Dumbledore turned to Arthur and placed a hand on the Minister's shoulder for a moment, "It is time, my friend," he said softly. Arthur looked back at him and nodded. He touched his wand to a crystal on the podium that amplified his words over the stadium.

Arthur looked around the area, at the pitch spread out before him, full of chairs filled with the rich and powerful, and the well connected. He then looked up at the stands, and it was there that he kept his eyes as he started to speak. "Weeks ago," he began, his voice thundering over the pitch and the grounds beyond, "a darkness beyond compare descended upon this castle. For one brief moment, this place of learning, this shining example of honor, of courage, of wisdom, was laid low by those who thought that they held, by simple accident of birth, some innate right of superiority over others."

He swallowed, looking down at his wife in the front row; tears filled her eyes, as she looked resolutely towards the empty spot next to Harry on the stage. "On that night, while the entire Ministry was fighting for its own life under an onslaught that gave as much as anything recorded in the annuls, a small group composed of students, teachers and four Aurors, two of whom are still only in their teens, slipped back into the school, to give combat to those who had taken her. They did not do this for glory, or fame, but out of a sense of what was right and necessary. They went in, knowing that the odds were impossible, and the foulest Dark Lord, since the days when Avalon herself stood here, held court in the Great Hall." Arthur motioned towards the still ruined Great Hall, where even now, the tiny forms of elves could be seen rebuilding the roof.

"They did so, because this Dark Lord had taken over a hundred of our children, those too young to be able to escape by the mere happenstance of being at Hogsmeade for the day. They went in, knowing the cost would be terrible...and it was," Arthur added, his voice cracking. Behind him, on the stage, Hermione sobbed and half-spun, burying her face in Harry's shoulder. Tonks reached for Lupin's hand as she wiped tears from her eyes forcefully.

Below them, in the audience, Bill pulled Molly into his shoulder, as she started crying loudly, while the rest of the Weasleys, even including Ginny, along with her...fiancé, sat watching Arthur. Draco looked over at Ginny as she tried to fight her tears, and failed suddenly. He pulled Ginny more or less into his lap, wrinkling her night-black dress, but neither noticed nor cared as he held her head against his shoulder, letting her cry for a brother and a sister-in-law. Arthur looked down at his broken family, then back at the other two that held that place in his heart, before he went on.

"Tom Marvolo Riddle, the man who called himself Voldemort," as one, almost the entire crowd shuddered, "a name chosen to hide his own half-blood parentage, took our children... to grind the Wizarding and eventually the Muggle World as well, under his heel. An act that he thought would solidify his powers." He took a breath, his eyes blazing, "The acts and sacrifices at the Ministry, which were great and should never be diminished, have already been recognized, but it was here, on the grounds and in the halls, where the war was decided. There have been those who claim that the students who fought here were foolhardy, that they should have waited until the Ministry was won, but if they had done that, there would have been no castle, no captive children, to rescue."

Hermione nodded to Harry as she moved back to his side, keeping his hand clasped firmly in hers, as she wiped away tears, even though they already stained the midnight blue Auror uniform, bearing permanent Lieutenant's bars by act of the Wizengamot, confirming Arthur's 'midnight appointment'. They both watched as Dumbledore walked forward slowly to stand at Arthur's side. He waved in the air, and a wooden chest hovered there, inscribed with the Ministry's seal. Arthur looked over at him, and received a silent nod.

"There were many acts of the utmost courage that night, and day, during a battle that started sometime around midnight, with the first infiltration into the castle, to rescue sick and injured students along with a newborn witch and her family. The battle continued at ever increasing cost to the side of light, until around ten pm, Tom Riddle was killed during combat."

"In the nearly thousand year history of the Ministry of Magic as it is currently constituted, or in its earlier incarnations, there have been only one hundred thirteen recipients of the Order of Merlin, First Class, the highest award for Valor, the pursuit of knowledge or feats of magic, that our government can bestow. On that night, six more were earned, here at this castle, the very same place that the first was earned almost a thousand years before." Arthur looked over at Dumbledore, and took a breath, parchment ruffled as Arthur glanced down to verify the citation was exactly correct.

"During the early morning hours of the twenty-fourth May, Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore entered the castle, knowing fully that he was alone for the time being against at least four hundred followers of Tom Riddle. The castle was surrounded by the entire Dementor Host, eight giants and still unknown numbers of trolls. On entry, Albus Dumbledore did, at nearly sure cost of his own life, hold the Hogwarts wards to prevent the entrance of the Dementors. He did also duel Lord Voldemort, single-handedly, while suffering simultaneous attacks from Voldemort's followers for over two hours until he was felled by a cowardly attack from behind. After he was revived, Dumbledore held the castle, again with little support, as almost all other defenders were unconscious or dead until Ministry support could finally arrive at approximately Midnight on the twenty-fifth of May." Arthur turned to the box floating between himself and Dumbledore, and pulled a golden shield on a royal blue ribbon. The shield held an owl sitting on crossed wands, with a sword horizontal above the owl's head. Arthur placed the ribbon over Dumbledore's head as the tall wizard bowed to him.

Arthur said something to the great wizard that the crystal did not pick up, and walked back to the podium, glancing back once at Dumbledore. He had not wanted the award at all, and was only convinced to take it as Harry probably would not have taken his if Dumbledore had not. Arthur turned a page and the rustle of paper again crackled through the air, "Nymphadora Andromeda Lupin, Remus John Lupin." He waited as the newly married Auror pair walked carefully up to the podium to stand nervously next to Dumbledore at an almost-attention. "In the early morning hours of the twenty-fourth of May, Nymphadora Lupin and Remus Lupin infiltrated an occupied Hogwarts, under the immediate threat of death or torture if captured. While there, they successfully managed to evacuate five first-year students, along with a newborn, her parents and Poppy Pomfrey, an act that in and of itself saved many lives. After their successful evacuation, they returned to Hogwarts, even after their primary mission was successful in order to help with the liberation of the school. In the course of many hours of combat, both were wounded several times, but still continued their mission under odds that were astronomical. For these deeds and countless others that dark day, the Ministry of Magic hereby awards the Order of Merlin, First Class for Valor, to Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Lupin." Soft, muted applause sounded as Dumbledore slipped the ribbons over the pair's heads, and leaned close, muttering something to them.

He nodded once and the pair slipped back to the line. Tonks looked over at the last pair, she watched as Hermione's knuckles whitened and Harry winced slightly as Arthur started on the last three names, in a choked voice, "Harry James Potter, Hermione Jane Potter." The crowd let out an audible gasp, as a secret was revealed for the first time publicly, Harry having dismissed the Fidelius last week. Arthur took a breath, "Ronald Bilius Weasley."

Harry and Hermione stepped forward, their hands still clasped, and stopped next to Dumbledore as Arthur ruffled his papers and looked out over the crowd, not trusting himself to meet any of his family's eyes, either those on the stage or those seated below. "On the early morning of the twenty-fourth, immediately after returning from a separate action with the intent of further weakening Tom Riddle, the Potters along with Ronald Weasley, with wounds still unhealed from the prior action, did lead a relief force to rescue Hogwarts. This successfully led mission rescued over one hundred children, saving them from death or worse at the hands of the self-styled Lord Voldemort."

Arthur took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a long beat, fighting tears that threatened to bloom, "Having saved the children, they then engaged the remainder of the Death Eaters, in a running battle through the castle and grounds. During this long, protracted battle, the Potters and Ronald were separated, with the Potters engaging the Dark Lord in close combat. During their separation, after the incapacitation of the rest of Ronald's force by a sudden, overwhelming attack by a force of heretofore unknown Death Eaters, Ronald Weasley, did...along with...his wife, Luna Melanie Weasley ...sacrifice himself in order to allow the Potters time to engage Voldemort without the presence of a force of over fifty additional Death Eaters."

Below him, Molly cried out before Bill pulled her more closely into his shoulder. Arthur took a drink of water, and wiped his eyes before looking out once more over the crowd which had fallen as silent as a church. "The Potters continued to combat Tom Riddle over the course of many hours, with little to no rest, in locations ranging from Hogwarts, to Diagon Alley, to the village of Godric's Hollow, and finally, back to Hogwarts where the battle was decided nearly fourteen hours after it had begun, at nearly the cost of their own lives. For these actions, and innumerable, uncounted others in the seventeen-year-long second war with Tom Riddle, the Ministry of Magic hereby awards Harry James Potter, Hermione Jane Potter and Ronald Bilius Weasley with the Order of Merlin, First Class, for Valor above and beyond any possible call of duty or obligation.

Dumbledore stepped forward and hung the twin awards around Harry and Hermione's neck, giving them both a deep bow. He paused a brief second and handed Harry a third in a small, blue box, and swept both of them into a hug, as Hermione sobbed loudly. She stepped back as Dumbledore let them go and turned to Harry, burying her face back in his shoulder as he led both of them back to stand next to Tonks and Lupin. Tonks was crying openly as well, as she squeezed Lupin's hand.

Arthur glanced back, nodded to Harry, and looked forward once more. "Let us never forget the sacrifices that these people, the acts of courage that ensured our freedom to laugh, to love, and to live..." He took a hard breath, "In many ways, it is our fault that these people had to do what they did, that they had to give so much, because of our inaction, of our malaise. It was only by the grace of God and Merlin that we breathe free air this day. Go be with your families and celebrate your freedom that was won at such a cost." Arthur gave one last nod and stepped from the podium, descended the stairs to kneel next to his wife and pull her into his arms.

An hour later, Harry and Hermione sat curled together underneath the protective branches of their tree on the Hogwarts ground, hidden from the crowds. They had left the milling crowds in and around the pitch, the Ministry officials that wanted to be seen shaking their hand, and the well-meaning parents, and others that had just wanted to give a quiet word of condolence. As soon as Arthur had tearfully declared the ceremony done, they had vanished to their chambers, stripping out of the Auror uniforms that had shown up that very morning and headed towards the lake by mutual, unspoken consent.

Hermione was straddling Harry's lap, her blue and green tartan skirt spread over their legs. She idly played with a loose thread on the fly of Harry's worn jeans as she sat, trying not to think, or reflect. She let her head fall forward, to gently rest her forehead against Harry's. He held her eyes for a long moment before he leaned forward an inch to gently kiss her, tasting the salt of her tears along with the flavor of her lip gloss.

Hermione slowly pushed her fingers under the hem of his t-shirt, and began to trace along the lines of the muscles of his abdomen. Her tear-filled eyes never left his as she pushed in, returning the kiss. Her gentle kiss became demanding as she pushed against him pressing her entire front into his, as she started to press down against his lap. I need you, Harry.

Alright, Mione, Harry whispered, his eyes locked to hers. He slowly pulled up her t-shirt, and dropped it next to them on the ground. He kissed her gently, breaking only to let her pull his shirt over his head, and pulled her close, desperately wanting to feel her skin on his. Hermione hadn't bothered to put on a bra under the shirt, being too tired to bother with it.

She flicked her fingers, and watched as the remainder of their garments, vanished, appearing in a neat pile next to their shirts. Hermione pushed in, grinding softly, feeling his reaction and her own as well. She lifted up, reaching down and back and guided him to her, her eyes slipping closed as she sighed softly.

Harry's hands slipped up, cradling the back of her head as she began to move almost languidly. She leaned forward, her forehead against him, her eyes locked to his, she continued to move, moaning quietly into his lips.

Harry let one hand slip down, as their pace increased, his palm coming down to rest on the front of her hip, as his thumb lightly stroked where they were joined. Hermione started to whimper quietly as she felt herself begin to crest. She moved twice more and moaned, loudly, as she froze, shuddering as she came, pulling Harry along with her a moment later, as the shared feelings in both mind and thoughts crashed. Hermione closed her eyes, regaling in the sudden warmth in her belly as he thrust up several times, before slumping back against the tree.

He reached, up, panting softly against her neck as she cradled against him. Harry kissed her softly, before leaning up to kiss her forehead. We should probably get dressed, Mione.

I don't care if they find us, Harry, Hermione whispered back, bringing up her left hand to slowly comb damp, black hair from his scar, before she leaned up to run her lips along it. There are very few people whose opinions that I give a damn about, honestly, and most of those wouldn't say a word.

Harry nodded and kissed her behind the ear, Me too, but you really don't give Remus a heart attack, we really don't need Tonks after us. Hermione smiled, but did not laugh, even though, somewhere, she knew that she would have thought the comment funny, once. Harry snapped his fingers, and they were redressed. Hermione sighed and dropped her head to his shoulder, as tears began to flow again, silently. Harry dropped his lips to her hair, and left them there as he looked out over the lake, at the squid, who had seen countless generations of couples, both happy and sad, watching along the shore.

Hours later, Remus stepped away from the still milling crowds centered on the Quidditch Pitch where the wealthy and notable were trying to get an audience with the Minister. He looked around the area quickly for the two that were, in effect, the guests of honor. He moved out of the pitch, slipping away with almost no notice, not even for a werewolf, up for appointment as Chief Auror, with the ribbon of the Order of Merlin around his neck. He looked down at it and took it off, sliding it in a pocket before un-tabbing his tunic to let the black shirt underneath show.

Playing on a hunch, Remus headed towards the lake. A few students and former students were standing along the shore, watching the squid as it performed for its audience. He stopped for a moment, nodding to himself as an entire group of children who would be first years in the fall, no doubt brought along by their parents for the event, laughed gaily at the sight. They would never know, hopefully, the dreadful cost that had been paid so that they could laugh.

He moved on, walking along the shore until he came upon an old beech tree, one that he himself had sheltered under along with James, Lily and Sirius so long ago. He stepped around the tree silently and stopped, looking on the scene there, hesitant to disturb them.

Harry and Hermione had evidently found time to change out of their Auror dress uniforms, he noted idly as he found them curled together. Harry was sitting on the grass at the base of the tree, his back resting against the trunk. Hermione was straddling his lap with her head bent forward to rest on his chest. She idly picked at some imagined loose thread on the fly of his worn jeans, as Harry ran his hand slowly through the fall of her hair. Remus smiled, very slightly for an instant, as he noted that the pattern of Hermione's skirt was the Potter house colors, colors that he had last seen on a garment when James and Lily were packing for something or other, years and tears ago.

Remus watched, slightly awkwardly as Harry dropped one hand to run comfortingly along her thigh, pushing up her skirt to almost her hip. Lupin turned to leave. "Stay, Moony," Harry said, not looking up. Hermione did glance back, before she returned her head to Harry's chest. She did not bother to fix her skirt, however, nor did Harry stop his hands.

"I can come back," Lupin muttered embarrassedly.

"No, Remus," Hermione commanded softly, and slid from Harry's lap to sit down next to him, and fixed her skirt absently, before she dropped her head to Harry's shoulder. "Sit," she waved at the grass and a blanket appeared. Lupin nodded and dropped on it, looking at the two of them for a long moment.

"How are you two coping?" he asked, watching both of their eyes as they looked back at him, with slightly vacant expressions.

Harry shrugged and glanced to Hermione, "We're surviving...so far." He looked back towards the castle and the Pitch from which various and sundry individuals could still be seen walking out, "We're leaving in the morning, Remus, we have to get away from here for a bit. I...don't know when we'll be back, honestly."

Lupin just nodded, and watched as a woman, visible from a distance due to the pink hair she was once again sporting, having abandoned her natural color as soon as the ceremony was over, walked towards them from the castle. Harry and Hermione followed his eyes towards Tonks. She paused for a second, at the exact same spot Lupin had tarried, before crossing to him, and dropping to her knees on the blanket next to him. She kissed his cheek, before settling down. "We're leaving too," Lupin admitted. "My lovely young wife, here," Tonks sniggered slightly for some reason, Lupin rolled his eyes, "convinced our mutual, ultimate boss, that we needed at least a month off. She said that I needed to live up to some promise or other I made in the heat, as it were."

Hermione crooked an eyebrow; Tonks brayed softly, "He promised to go at it until even a werewolf couldn't go on..." She waggled her eyebrows and Hermione smiled, very slightly, but did not comment further.

Remus looked over at Tonks after a long, silent minute had passed, and stood, pulling Tonks back to her feet. He looked down at them, "If you need me, us...for anything...I know..."

Harry nodded, "Thanks." He looked down at Hermione, "We'll sneak out, I suppose, less chance of, you know."

"Do you know where you will go?" Tonks asked.

Hermione looked at Harry, "There seems to be a beach house that James bought Lily," she answered quietly, and Lupin just nodded.


There you go, there is at least one more chapter after this. In case anyone is interested I have a livejournal up at bladeandwand.livejournal.com where I'm gradually putting up fics and ficlets that aren't PK compatable, and snippets from future stories. Just so you know.

Built by Text2Html