Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bittersweet by Marauding Moonbabe
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bittersweet

Marauding Moonbabe

~Bittersweet~

By: Marauding-Moonbabe

Ch.1- Beginnings

Grew up in a small town

And when the rain would fall down

I just stared out my window

Dreaming of what could be

And if I'd end up happy

I would pray - I would pray

I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly

I'll do what it takes till' I touch the sky

I'll make a wish

Take a chance

Make a change

And breakaway

Out of the darkness and into the sun

But I won't forget all the ones that I loved

I'll take a risk

Take a chance

Make a change

And breakaway

Lily Carrie Evans had a good today. She had got Griffindor 50 points, yelled at James Potter and Sirius Black at least 3 times, and she had gotten 2 extra hours of studying in for 7th year Newt's. She sat in the 7th year girl's dormitory windowsill, looking at the room that had held so many memories. She remembered when her best friend, Raven, had her first breakup in her 3rd year. She remembered when she had cried about her first breakup in fourth year. She remembered that fateful night in sixth year when she found out what Remus Lupin was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Flashback~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Remus. Where are you going? We have patrol duty tonight, remember?" Lily asked as she saw Remus walking out the portrait hole with his friends, the Marauders. Remus's eyes were darting around the room, looking extremely nervous. "Lily flower, I would love to tell you that you are exceptionally beautiful tonight, but I know that you wouldn't like that, so I shall restrict myself from saying that." James- Potter- the- toerag said. "Off the subject, Potter. Remus we have patrol duty, let's go." Lily said, rolling her eyes at the immaturity of James Potter. Sirius said, much too quickly to be believable, "Remus has to help Madam Pomfrey with restocking the supply cabinets, since she's new. Remmy here got the job of giving the tour." The Marauders ran out of the portrait hole quickly.

Raven came up behind Lily. "I heard it all, and that is the worst lie ever. I saw Madam Pomfrey earlier, her mum was the last nurse, and gave her the tour last week. Let's go to the boy's dorms and look around." The best friends looked at each other smirking. "Maxine, can you patrol with Nick tonight?" Lily asked over her shoulder, "Thanks."

The girls quickly snuck into the 6th year boy's dormitory, and looked around at the mess. "This isn't a room, it's a pigsty. It's messier than the last time I saw it." Raven commented. "Oh, and when was that?" Lily asked, curious at why her friend, who was dating Sirius Black, had seen the dormitory before. "Oh, it was nothing like that, Lily, you know we vowed to wait. I doubt we'll last much longer anyway; we're better as love-hate friends. Here is Remus's trunk, we'll probably find something in there." They rummaged through it for a few minutes, to find nothing more interesting than heart covered red boxers, which seemed to have been sent by Sirius.

Then, at the bottom of the trunk, they found something very odd. They found a painting. It was a large black dog, beautiful stag, a little rat, and an oddly shaped, mousy- brown haired dog all standing under a full moon. Lily looked out the window to see a blood-red dusk. She remembered her Astronomy charts from last night. Tonight was a full moon! She looked back at the painting, examined the brown dog more carefully, and dropped the painting in shock. "Hey, Raven, I forgot my essay in the library. Can you go get it for me before the library closes? I just remembered a question I need to ask Hagrid. I'll be back in a few minutes.

Lily sprinted onto the grounds. She saw Madam Pomfrey walking with Remus to the Whomping Willow. She then saw movement in a nearby bush, followed by a flash of messy black hair. She went to the bush. "Going somewhere Potter?" Lily asked acidly. James turned around to face her. Lily almost gasped at the sight of his face. It was so sober, so sad. The regular twinkle was gone from his eyes. He had replaced his cocky, lopsided smile with a concentrating frown.

"What do you know?" he asked, eyeing her warily. "I know that Remus is a werewolf, and that you know that as well, from what it looks like." Lily replied. "Yes, he is a werewolf, but he's also a good person. I'll let him know that you know about his furry little problem. Please don't treat him any differently. He beats himself up too much already. We really care about him, we really do. We're helping him in all the ways we can, and you can help by not telling anyone, even Raven, and treating him the same as always. He even hates sympathy, Lily, so treat him the same, but don't let him push himself away from you." Lily was shocked at this James. This James she hadn't seen before. She shook it off, but inside, the feeling was still there- the seed of doubt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~End Flashback~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lily stared out at the waxing moon, thinking of her family many miles away. Her parents loved the fact that she was a witch, but they didn't really understand what that meant. Her sister did not approve of it at all. Petunia was jealous that her sister was talented. Before she got her letter, she really didn't feel like she belonged. She got good grades, but she didn't have friends. Now she had wonderful friends, who were like her. They could do magic.

Lilly heard the dormitory door open. James Potter sat down beside her. Not looking at him, Lilly said, "Potter, you are not allowed in here." " Relax Evans, I'm just here `cause this dorm has the best view," James Oliver Potter replied. " Oh, and how exactly would you know that the 7th year girls have the best view?" Lilly questioned. James just smirked.

"Argh!!! You are impossible."

"That's m' job, babe. So, what do you think about when you see the moon?" James asked, looking at Lilly, with a truly sincere look on his face. Lilly was startled about this new side of James Potter.

"Erm, well I think about a new chance for life, ya know. Like the waxing moon is a promise for a new day," Lilly stuttered.

" Yeah, I think about adventure." James said with a glassy look in his eyes. Adventure? Lilly was confused about that. Adventure for Remus, maybe, but James wasn't a werewolf. Why adventure? "I have already done rounds for tonight, so you don't need to get up. I promise, I did a good job. Night Lils." James got up and left.

That doesn't seem like James Potter at all. He did rounds for both of us so I didn't have to get up? That's thoughtful. Maybe this is the side of him that Dumbledore saw. Maybe he was right to make him head boy. Lilly thought, and got into bed. The seed of doubt was now a sprout.

The next night finds Lilly and James doing Head Boy and Girl patrol. They went to the Astronomy Tower to find no less than 5 couples entangled.

" Okay, you sick lovers, get the heck out of here and stop exchanging saliva with each other!!! It is not sanitary to do that, especially at night!" Lilly yelled.

" Why is it less sanitary at night?" James asked with a lopsided smile. Lilly's stare could stop a rampaging hippogriph. The couples left looking very disgruntled. James leaned on the barrier of the observation area, his messy raven hair blowing in the wind. James looked out at the night sky for several minutes. " Pot- James, what's wrong?" Lilly could sense his unease. It scared her that he was suddenly so serious.

James turned around his eyes wide with shock. "Something horrible has happened, and I think we'll find out what soon."


-->