Unofficial Portkey Archive

Forever Together Part 2. A Time to Live and A Time to Die by Solomon Aegis
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Forever Together Part 2. A Time to Live and A Time to Die

Solomon Aegis

Disclaimer

The characters and universe created by J.K.Rowling are hers alone. As imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I hope this story can be taken in that way. Some of the additional characters are mine, and who knows, some of them and the geographical locations, may even be real.

10. A Christmas Break

When the first noises of the school beginning another day roused Hermione from a deep sleep, she found herself in an unfamiliar bed but in familiar surroundings. In her half awake state she could see that she was in the Heads Common Room, though if that was the case, how was she in bed? Being in bed meant that she should be in the dormitory she had shared with Lavender and Pavarti these last seven years. Something was wrong, but she couldn't remember what, her brain was still foggy with sleep.

Then she became aware of something else, no not something, but someone else, because there was warmth and movement from the person she was at that moment cuddled up to. The presence beside her was so comforting she knew who it was with out having to look, but despite that she raised her head just to confirm it, sure enough it was Harry. As she looked at him still peaceful in sleep, the events of the day before suddenly came back to her and for an instant she felt the panic rise and she cried out.

Slight though the sound was, Harry was immediately awake and was whispering comfort to her.

"It's OK you're both fine," his voice soothed and reassured, so the panic receded, "do you remember anything?"

Hermione pushed herself up so that she was now sitting. Harry stretched trying to ease the kink in his back, and then reached for his glasses on the table next to the bed.

"Err… Yes I think so," to be truthful it was all still a bit of a muddle in her mind, "I remember AH running out, then getting to him, to see a curse coming towards us, but there wasn't time to dodge it." Harry watched as she sorted through her memories.

"Then I felt so incredibly weak. It was as if I was being pulled away from myself, but something held me. Then all I remember is you Harry, hearing your name and seeing your face."

"Do you know what curse you saw?" He was asking in a gentle way, unsure if he wanted her to have known or not.

"I think so but I don't want to believe it, if I'm right I should be dead."

She had all the confirmation she needed in Harry's eyes, but he nodded slowly.

"Was it the necklace again? Do you think that it saved me, even from that?"

"Yes it saved both of you, the flash from it blinded me and…" he paused try to work out how to say it, "…the ones who attacked you. It also did what it did before and returned the curse to the sender."

Hermione went a little pale, "That means?"...then she remembered that she was the one being attacked… "who?"

"Bellatrix Lestrange, that's what set AH off. He recognised her voice from the attack on the orphanage," Harry could see the concern in Hermione's expression, "don't worry yourself; she got what she deserved, if anything it was too easy for her."

"No you're right. It's not her," she said dismissively, "actually I was more worried about AH. You said he is… OK"

As if in affirmation of her statement the door, that led to the Gryffindor Common Room, opened and AH's sandy haired head poked round it.

"Sorry, can I come in? said a youthful, but concerned voice, "the door wasn't locked, and err…; I didn't knock in case you were still asleep."

This was to be the first of many visits from friends and well wishers. Some of whom knew the truth of the incident, and a few who just knew the Head Girl had been hurt protecting a first year, and wanted to show their support.

Some of the visits were more taxing than others. Madam Pomfrey was insistent on a full examination and Harry was unceremoniously turfed out into the main common room as it was 'Not appropriate for him to stay'. Harry knew better that to argue and left. Fortunately no lasting damage was found, rest and tender loving care was all that was needed. Madam Pomfrey decided to leave that in Harry's capable hands.

Solomon appeared later in the morning, grateful to be out of his disguise as Albus Dumbledore. Although he found Hermione's survival remarkable he was not unduly surprised. He and the Headmaster has suspected that the stone called Hermione's Tear would protect her, even against the killing curse, but had no way of being certain, and no way to test the theory. At least not one they were willing to try; now they knew for sure.

He deeply regretted that the other Death Eaters had escaped, if Voldemort listened to their story, Hermione and even AH may find themselves singled out for vengeance, but that couldn't be helped. The loss of Bellatrix would, he hoped, throw Voldemort off balance and maybe lead to other mistakes.

The Headmaster didn't visit, but Professor McGonagall brought a note from him which carried just two words 'Well done'.

Late in the afternoon there was a knock on the main doors to the Heads Common Room. Hermione was up now and the bed returned to its former shape as a desk, she and Harry were sitting on their old sofa enjoying the warmth of the fire.

Hermione looked round, "Come in."

The door swung open and standing in the doorway was Professor Snape. To say that Harry and Hermione were surprised was nothing compared to the astonishment when Snape spoke. His clipped speech held no warmth but seemed sincere.

"I am pleased to see you have recovered, Miss Granger," he appeared to have difficulty in knowing what to say next, "I would like to offer you my thanks."

He gave a smile you would expect from a face unused to smiling, and as quickly as he had opened the doors, he closed them again and was gone.

"Well," said Hermione unsure if what she had just seen and heard had really happened, "that was unexpected; I wonder what brought that on?"

Harry was still staring at the closed doors, his mouth open in shock and surprise; he looked from the doors to Hermione then back again. "Bloody Hell!" was all he could come up with.

Harry had watched Hermione carefully in the days that followed the Hogsmead incident. Apart from tiring easily in the first few days there was nothing wrong with her. AH it appeared suffered even less, after one good night's sleep he had been his normal self.

As to why each was affected differently? Madam Pomfrey thought it was possible that subconsciously Hermione had realised the full implications of being hit by the killing curse, and had not really expected her necklace to save her. AH, on the other hand, had told Madam Pomfrey that once Hermione had reached him he knew he would be safe and so he suffered none of the psychological stress which had affected Hermione, it was a simple as that.

Now, with Hermione back to her old self, Harry could concentrate on his two most pressing problems. The location of the Black Mansion was still a mystery. It was mentioned in the books but only that it was hidden and unplotable. Harry knew that somewhere in his vault, amongst all the things he had inherited from Sirius, would be the answer.

His other problem still resided in the Department of Mysteries at the Ministry, and despite Umbridge, he knew he had to get back in there. Even though he felt he was relying on his defence Professor more than he should, Harry trod the well worn path to his door.

"It would seem obvious to me Harry, you need to go to London and sort these problems out," Solomon said, as if it was the easiest thing in the world.

Sometimes, Harry thought, Solomon was deliberately unhelpful. "Yes, I know, but how?"

"Well you have your own method of getting around, use it and go," he said nonchalantly.

"But what about getting permission, planning for our safety, and deciding what to do when we get there?" said Harry.

"Sorry Harry. I didn't think you usually bothered with that sort of thing," then on seeing the pained expression on Harry's face, he paused…. "tactless remark, sorry again Harry," Solomon regarded the young man in front of him, "Look, you are well capable of looking after yourself. Hermione has an unassailable defence in her necklace, and both of you are of age. As long as you think about what you are doing first, you will be fine."

"So you won't try to stop us going?" Harry asked with surprise.

"No, and I will help you when you go to the Ministry. You may need someone to run a bit of interference for you," Solomon said raising his eyebrows, "call me when you have found the location of The Black Mansion, and I will come to you."

Harry had a quick word with Ron, and told him that he and Hermione would be away for a few days. Harry wanted to make sure that Ron and the other members of the Tyr would mind the shop, and keep a close eye on AH.

"We should be back before Christmas Day," said Harry, "but if not there are some presents for you all in the bottom of that big chest in our room."

"No problems Harry, you didn't really have to ask, you know," Ron said seriously, we'll be fine, just leave it to me."

Harry looked at his oldest friend, who was face was now cracked by an evil little grin. "Yeah…right!" and Harry rolled his eyes.

…………………………..

Hermione had already packed a few things for them both in a small bag and was waiting for Harry in their common room.

"All ready Harry, but how are we getting there? Are we catching the Knight Bus?" she asked.

"No, the Knight Bus always makes me feel sick, we're going to use my silent apparation. You've seen me do it before. It's how I got to Mum and Dad's," he said referring to Hermione's parents, "you know, last Christmas, and it's how I managed to get to the Shrieking Shack before Pettigrew arrived with you, and I've used it a few times in the Castle as well. It's also the way we got back here after Hogsmead." Hermione had her 'more explanation please before I try something weird look' so Harry tried. "Solomon calls it 'peragating', he thinks what I do is to move sideways into a world similar to the one where Avalon is. Then staying in this 'other world' I travel to where I want to go then step back into our world. From my point of view I just picture where I want to be, and there I am."

"So that's why wards and other anti-apparation charms don't stop you. Oh it's so easy, I understand now." Hermione looked as happy as if she had just finished a twelve scroll essay and it had been marked O.

The perplexed expression that had appeared on Harry's face as he had tried to explain the process lifted, and he smiled at Hermione. "Well I'm glad you're happy, I was never really sure I understood it all."

He grabbed the bag with one hand and Hermione with the other, said "Hold tight"

and the common room dissolved around them to be replaced by the Hallway of Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place.

………………………………..

This was their second visit to Gringotts in as many days and the pile of boxes and wrapped items in Harry and Hermione's vault seemed no smaller. They had made one or two rather unpleasant discoveries. A large box filled with preserved House Elf heads, similar to the ones which had once graced Grimmauld Place, and a glass case which you could hang on a wall, filled with Hags ears, complete with ear rings, were both put in the pile marked 'To be disposed of'. That pile had slowly grown, and Harry was about to add a very dirty painting to it, when looking a little closer at the canvass he gave a shout of success.

"Yes! Hermione look at this."

The painting was hardly visible through the layers of grime. Only one small patch was clear enough to see a pointed tower with hexagonal windows in it. Hermione carefully cleaned the painting with a light cleansing charm so that the paint would not be stripped as well as the dirt. Slowly, in all its depressing glory, the Black Family Mansion became visible, and the legend at the bottom, written by the artist, declared

'Black House 1850. Black Combe. Cumbria.'

"Harry, have you brought that muggle map with you?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I've two that cover Cumbria", he replied, "but we only need the one with the coast line on it, it's in the bag over there."

Hermione fumbled for a moment in the bag, then pulled out several maps. She discarded all but one which she opened up. It took her no time at all, running her finger down the coast line and stopping near the small village of Whicham. Just to the north, rising to a height of two thousand feet, was Black Combe. They had found it.

Harry grabbed Hermione by the hand, and pulled her to her feet.

"Right let's go. Are you ready?"

"Whoa Harry! not so fast," she took a step back from him, "think for a moment. We can't leave now, there's all this mess, and the vault's still open. We need to plan what we we're going to do," she could see the impatience in him, but knew it had to be controlled, "the house won't run away, it will still be there in an hour or so. Remember what you promised Solomon."

Harry stopped his agitated pacing and closed his eyes. "Damn! I'm doing it again. I'm sorry Hermione, you're right. Let's close up here and go back to Grimmauld Place, but I do want to find out exactly where the house is before we tell Solomon."

The Goblin who had brought them down had taken the opportunity of having a nap whilst they had been searching the vault. He was propped up between two pillars, and Harry went to him and woke him up. The Goblin told them that they only had to lock the vault; the pile of discarded items would be dealt with by the cleaning squad.

Harry didn't want to risk peragating directly home from the vault, partly because he might cause consternation among the Goblins if he could do it, and partly because he wasn't sure if it was possible anyway. So they returned to the main hallway in the small carriage and left Gringotts by the front door. They peragated back to Grimmauld Place and then settled in the kitchen with the map spread over the table.

Hermione was studying the map so closely that her hair fanned out over it and Harry couldn't see a thing. He was just about to give her a poke in the back to remind her that he was still there, when she straightened up.

"Have we got a broom here, Harry?" she asked.

"Yes I left my Firebolt here, it's upstairs, but we don't want to fly there, it'll take too long and it's much too cold."

"No, I agree, but it might be useful to have it when we get there. This Black Combe covers quite an area, we'll never find the house on foot."

Harry could see the sense it this, the views of the house they had seen in the speculator showed that it was surrounded by trees; it would certainly be hard to see from the ground.

"Where should we err…peragate to, this village here? she pointed to a small collection of buildings south of the Combe, "Whicham?"

Harry looked down at the map. "No we could appear right in front of some muggle if we do that. Umm…here, there's a railway bridge on this little road which stops just before the coast. It's nearer to Whitbeck," he pointed to a spot on the map, "there, see it?"

"OK, looks good," said Hermione, "you get the broom and I'll get our cloaks."

Within a few minutes they were standing cloaked, Harry with his broom under one arm and Hermione firmly grasped with the other.

"Ready?" he said.

"Yes… Harry? have you ever done this…" The kitchen walls dissolved around them and the biting cold of a Cumbrian December hit them as they appeared on the bridge… "from a map before?"

"Err…No," he smiled at her, "but it seems to work."

It looked as if they would have light for another couple of hours, so they disillusioned each other and the broom, and rose slowly into the air.

The seaward face of the Combe climbed dramatically to its peak, but to the north and south the slope was gentler. Trees covered the lower parts of the Combe but stopped about three quarters of the way up, leaving a bald grass covered summit.

Harry swung the broom away from the muggle houses that could be seen to the south and started to search to the north. Luck was with them; after about twenty minutes flying they discovered that on the north side of the Combe was a small valley, which was very heavily wooded.

Harry had flown the broom along the tree line knowing that the house would be below them, as they crossed the head of the little valley he caught a glimpse of a roof. He kept a good distance away, but by manoeuvring around more and more of the house came into sight. There, as it had on three previous occasions, the tower with the hexagonal windows confirmed the identification.

"Great Harry," Hermione's teeth were chattering, "can we go back now…Please," she begged.

Harry rolled the broom around, smiled as he felt Hermione's fingers dig into his chest as she clung tightly to him, and swooped over the crest of the Combe and back to the little bridge.

Back in the kitchen of Grimmauld Place they sipped on steaming mugs of chocolate that Dobby had made for them, and Harry marked the map with a bold cross. Harry looked across at Hermione, the colour was beginning to come back to her cheeks.

"Well, one down, now all we have to do is sort out the problem at the Ministry," her eyes smiled at him over her mug, "I suppose we ought to get in touch with Solomon." he said.

…………………………

Solomon arrived two days later, shaking the snow off his cloak as he came through the front door. He looked tired and grim, but brightened when he saw Harry and Hermione waiting at the foot of the stairs.

"Hello you two, can't say I'm not impressed, good bit of detective work," he handed his cloak to Dobby, who nearly disappeared under the bulk of it, "shall we go to the sitting room? We need to have a little talk."

They all climbed the stairs, Solomon brining up the rear. Harry knew that from Solomon's behaviour they were not going to hear good news. On a previous occasion his 'little talk' had concerned the Headmaster, and Harry feared that this was to be the subject again.

"It's Dumbledore, isn't it," said Harry heavily, once they were sitting in the comfortable chairs by the fire.

"Yes Harry I'm afraid it is," Hermione gave a gasp and covered her mouth with her hand, afraid of what Solomon was going to say, "he has had a relapse. Madam Pomfrey isn't sure if he will last more than another couple of months, and if he was to have another bout like this last one,…well it could be before then," Solomon tried to sound hopeful, "Severus is trying something different, but these new potions carry more risk to the Headmaster. I just wish I had better news. Unfortunately that's not all…"

"We're on our own with the Ministry, aren't we?" Harry finished for him.

Solomon nodded. "The Headmaster couldn't keep his illness from Amelia Bones any longer, she is now the de facto Head of the Ministry, Albus just hasn't officially resigned. But you're right, he can't help us this time."

"So what are we going to do?" Hermione asked.

"Go in anyway." said Harry firmly. "…But…," he gave both of them a look, "we make a plan first."

Harry and Solomon Aegis thought through what they needed to achieve, and Hermione delved into the Order's extensive library, which had found a home at Grimmauld Place. It was decided that in order to meet as few Ministry personnel as possible, they would go in on Christmas Day.

Harry would take them in as close as he could to the room in the Department of Mysteries, Solomon would keep a look out while Harry and Hermione did, well whatever needed doing, with the ball and the golden lights it contained. It wasn't much of a plan, as there were still a lot of unknowns, but it was a plan of sorts.