Unofficial Portkey Archive

Forever Together Part 2. A Time to Live and A Time to Die by Solomon Aegis
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Forever Together Part 2. A Time to Live and A Time to Die

Solomon Aegis

9. Death in Hogsmead.

Draco had spent several hours uncomfortably in the presence of The Dark Lord. It was uncomfortable because he only had a cold stone bench to sit on, and he had to keep his wits about him all the time. He had felt the results of making a mistake, and he didn't enjoy pain.

Voldemort had listened to Draco's information; it wasn't what he wanted to hear but it may be sufficient to spare the boy punishment. If Voldemort was disturbed by the knowledge of Pettigrew's death he didn't show it. It gratified him to know that Wormtail hadn't run from him at all, he had died still trying to do his Lord's bidding. It was an acceptable end, but Potter and his mudblood would pay for that as well.

The boy was nervous; you didn't have to be an all powerful wizard to see that. Voldemort watched Draco, the sweat was standing out on his forehead, he had his hands in his lap, clenching and unclenching his fists. Bellatrix would have drunk this fear like nectar, but Voldemort watched, his face unreadable.

The Dark Lord considered Draco's offering. The news he brought of Wormtail's death, was of neither positive nor negative value, to the boy. Severus had not been able to wrest the key from Potter or the mudblood, definitely negative. Draco had supplied the locking spell to hold the doorway to Avalon open, positive value. Then there was his idea to get Potter to open the doorway himself, that had a certain ironical merit. Get Potter cornered, where he couldn't apparate, he would he open the doorway and try to run to Avalon. They would lock it open and he himself would lead the attack on Merlin's brood. Grudgingly another positive, Voldemort waited, drawing out the discomfort.

"Very well Draco, you may go" he hissed.

Draco didn't dawdle, he left the Dark Lord's presence as quickly as he could without looking as if he was running. Once he was clear of the mansion he apparated directly to the road outside the gates of the school and was back in his common room before dawn.

The only person in Slytherin who may have noticed Draco's absence was Pansy Parkinson, for she was now a very lonely girl. Draco had been her vision of the future, when they had been together he had promised her fortune and comfort, never love, but she hoped that would come. She had given him everything in return for theses hopes, everything, but now her fear kept her away. She knew she could not follow where he was headed, for Pansy was not brave, she was weak, and she had enough sense to realise it. She hid herself away and waited for the term to end so that she could leave Hogwarts, vowing never to return.

…………………………………

Unusually for the start of the Christmas holidays, parents began arriving to personally escort their children home. Many families felt that the only safe way of travelling was by apparating, and thus avoiding obvious Death Eater targets. Despite this exodus, the number of students staying at school was up on previous years. Fortunately Draco Malfoy wasn't one of them, he had left to be in the dubious company of his parents. There was an air of excitement in the school as the holidays started. Combined with the fact that there had been no Quidditch during the term to allow the release of tension, the remaining school population was becoming over exuberant.

The trouble was all relatively minor, practical jokes, the odd disagreement, which often led to spells flying around unchecked, but before long someone was going to be hurt. Harry and Hermione, as the senior students, realised that something had to be done to allow everyone to let off some steam. They knew that they would not be able to talk to the Headmaster so they sought out Professor McGonagall instead. She was in her office, and one glance at her made Harry and Hermione realise she was feeling the strain as well.

"So what is it you propose?" she snapped, her Scott's burr strengthened by her stress.

"Well, we did think about a Hogsmead visit" suggested Hermione, keeping her head low and waiting for the inevitable rejection.

"Out of the question, I am surprised you even suggested it." This response was not unexpected by either of them, but Harry had another hand to play.

"Professor, we did think about it beforehand" Harry assured her. "We know that the school wards can't be extended, but we did think that each student could be given a portkey to get them back to the school if there was trouble. We also thought that any Order members that could be spared could be on duty, and we wouldn't tell the students it was happening until that morning."

McGonagall didn't look convinced.

"There will also be Harry and me, the rest of the Tyr, and any members of the old DA we can persuade to help with security." Hermione added quickly.

"There is one more thing in our favour, Professor." Harry looked at her shrewdly. "It is not general knowledge that the Headmaster is ill. Everyone thinks he's fine and if he was walking around Hogsmead as well, you'd have to be seriously stupid to attack. I'm sure even Voldemort's Death Eaters would keep well clear."

"Yes, yes. I suppose you could be right," McGonagall sighed "but as well you know, the Headmaster is not well enough to do that."

"It doesn't have to be the real Albus Dumbledore, does it?" said Harry slyly.

McGonagall stared at him, then as she realised what he was suggesting, she smiled.

"And who was going to be your sheep in wolf's clothing?"

"Well, we thought we ought to use one of the better sheep, do you think Solo… ah Professor Aegis might do it.?" Harry answered.

"Umm…" Professor McGonagall looked at the two Head Students suspiciously.

"Knowing the way you and that particular Professor have been working together it wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't all his idea in the first place."

……………………………….

"You know this stuff is truly horrible" Solomon grimaced as he downed the Polyjuice Potion, "I think I might be sick."

"Try not to Solomon," said a weak voice, "It won't work as well if you are."

Harry was in the Headmaster's office with Solomon and Dumbledore. The Headmaster looked worse to Harry, but at least today he was mentally hale. Solomon Aegis stood wearing one of Dumbledore's resplendent robes, it was at the moment a little long for him and a bit tight round the chest. Then as the Polyjuice took effect the robe seemed to change to fit him, but in fact it was he that was changing to fit the robe.

"There you are" said Dumbledore, he gave a weak laugh, "I only wish I felt as well as I look."

The transformation was complete; Aegis looked like a fit healthy Dumbledore. Harry smiled; he had seen that Dumbledore burst into the Veil Room at the Ministry, full of power and ready to use it. He glanced at the frail old man in the chair and he felt his throat tighten.

Solomon sensed his distress and putting an arm round his shoulder said "If you will excuse us Headmaster, we need to go and announce today's little excursion."

Dumbledore nodded, then Aegis mimicking Dumbledore's voice said "Come along Harry." and he led him from the office.

All the common rooms had carried a notice that the Headmaster was to make an announcement to all those still in residence, and all had responded. As he walked into the hall Harry estimated that there were about a hundred students still here, he sat down next to Hermione and stood again with all the others as Dumbledore entered and moved to his seat.

If any of the Professors thought it strange that Dumbledore should make a sudden reappearance after such a long absence, they didn't show it. They all greeted him as usual, Snape the only one giving the Headmaster an extra long scrutiny. At the precise moment the real Dumbledore would have risen to talk to the school Aegis rose and bade everyone a good morning. To rousing cheers he told the students of the day's events and of the security precautions that would be in place. He gave them all twenty minutes to get themselves ready, and sat again as the rush for the doors began. It was amid the noise of benches being pushed back and excited students all talking at the same time, that Severus Snape sidled up to the Headmaster.

"Headmaster, you are feeling well?"

"Yes Severus I am fine. Thank you for asking." replied Aegis in Dumbledore's voice.

"It worries me Headmaster, do you not feel this trip may be a little too, ah…strenuous for you?" Snape asked solicitously.

Aegis looked at Snape; he truly hoped that this man could be trusted as much as he and Dumbledore believed. If one went on purely physical appearance he could see why Harry had his reservations about the Potions master. That withstanding, Snape could have killed Dumbledore on many occasions these last few months, and that he had kept the old man going deserved some recognition.

"I assure you Severus that providing I take my potion every hour you will see no change in my condition." said Aegis giving Snape a look over Dumbledore's spare glasses.

Snape smiled at him, and Solomon found it was not a pleasurable experience.

"That is very reassuring Headmaster, I assume that Professor Aegis will not be coming with us today?"

Snape was pushing his luck and he never knew how close he came to getting a good old fashioned punch on the nose. Solomon Dumbledore smiled sweetly to him instead, and said

"That is correct Severus, not in person anyway. I would like you to stay close today, I may need your assistance."

"Very well Headmaster, I will return shortly." Snape stood and left the table, his long black robes billowing out behind him.

Harry watched Snape leave; he still did not trust that man. Harry turned to Hermione; she was staring intently at Dumbledore.

"What do you think?" said Harry at last.

"Well he certainly looks the part, if I didn't know, I wouldn't have guessed" though she sounded as if she held some reservations.

"Something's bothering you, isn't it?"

"Oh I don't know Harry" she sighed with exasperation "I'm worried it might all be a big mistake."

"But it was your idea in the first place."

"I know" she said sadly "And if anyone is hurt it will be my fault."

Harry looked at her sternly, grasped her shoulders and turned her to face him. "I thought we decided that after Sirius we were not going lay blame on anyone. We will do all we can to make it safe. Nothing will be your fault." She nodded and gave him a little smile. "Besides" he said with mock seriousness "if it's anyone's fault it's mine."

Hermione slipped her arms around him and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "You're still incorrigible Harry, what am I going to do with you?" she sighed as she leant her head against his chest.

Harry scanned the now nearly empty Hall, and whispered in her ear, "Don't know, but I'll try and think of something."

……………………………………

Much to Hermione's relief the morning went as planned. Each of the students wandering the narrow streets of Hogsmead had a glass marble in his or her pocket; this was their ticket out of trouble, a portkey back to the Great Hall.

It could have been any ordinary Hogsmead day; there was little the casual observer would have noticed out of place. For those on guard it was a different matter, they were constantly on watch, alert to even the slightest sign of trouble. The guards unobtrusively steered the students away from areas of potential danger, and kept them in the centre of the village.

The Hogshead Inn did very little business that day, and nobody walked as far as the Shrieking Shack to check out the most haunted place in Britain, which in reality had no ghosts, unless Peter Pettigrew had set up in residence. As all years had been allowed to visit the village there were quite a few first and second years amongst the students. They were the most vulnerable and Harry for one was more on edge whist they were around.

However by lunch time most of them had made their way back to the castle, and with the decreased numbers of students abroad the tension relaxed. Solomon, in his guise of Albus Dumbledore, and Professor Snape had made their presence very noticeable, which had certainly kept the students under control, and seemed to have had the desired effect on any thoughts of an attack from Voldemort's supporters.

Harry allowed AH to remain in Hogsmead after lunch, provided he stayed with Hermione and himself. They wanted to show him around and see if there was something he liked in the shops that they could get him for Christmas.

It was naïve of them to think that Voldemort would not get wind of what was happening in Hogsmead, there was always someone in the Hogshead Inn who was willing to pass on a bit of information. It was fortunate for the school that The Dark Lord did not act immediately, but then his intended target was not the students but Harry himself.

The information that Draco had brought about the key to Avalon persuaded Voldemort to attack. He wanted to see if Harry could be truly scared into activating the doorway. It was Bellatrix he sent with half a dozen others to try and force his hand, but he never got a chance to find out if it would have worked.

Harry, Hermione and AH were standing in the doorway of the Hogsmead branch of Flourish and Blotts, when they heard the unmistakable CRACK of someone apparating. Not just one someone, several someone's as CRACK followed CRACK.

Harry and Hermione's wands flew into their raised hands and they stood shoulder to shoulder with AH safely behind them. From a side alley they could hear the discharge of spells, then a harsh woman's voice issuing orders. At the sound of that voice AH made an inarticulate cry of anger, and pushing passed Hermione ran towards the alley with the others in hot pursuit.

AH stopped in front of the entrance to the alley pointed his wand to cast a spell, when "Avada Kedavra" rang out from the depths of the alley.

Hermione was amazingly fast on her feet, she reached AH first, and grabbed him just as the green bolt of the killing curse left the alley and struck.

Harry, only a few yards behind, stared in horror; it all seemed to happen in slow motion. He could see Hermione reach AH and gather him protectively in her arms then the green flash as the curse hit them both. He saw Hermione stagger and drop to her knees dragging AH with her, and at the same time here was a brilliant blue flash which blinded him for a moment. In his blindness all he could hear was the sound of a body hitting the ground.

Harry's vision slowly returned, as his peripheral sight cleared he could see the buildings and street around him come back into focus. The picture burned on his retina of Hermione on her knees with AH fiercely held in her arms was still a blur.

The sound of running feet and the repeated CRACK of disapparation assailed his ears, and then in front of him he finally saw that which he thought he may never see again. Hermione was still on her knees and was swaying slightly, AH had his head buried in her hair and Harry could see the rise and fall of his shoulders as he sobbed. They were both still alive.

He crossed the few yards separating them, bent down and gently helped the both of them to their feet. Hermione was shaking violently, and grasped Harry round the neck for support. AH was still crying, and with his knuckles clenched to white, was tightly latched onto her robes. Harry looked down the alley to the black robed body that was lying face down in a puddle of water.

At that moment help arrived in the form of the rest of the Tyr, Snape and Solomon, who rushed up to them. Harry prised Hermione's arms from around his neck and motioned for Ron and Ginny to look after her. He walked into the alley with the Professors close on his heels, reaching the body he bent and grasped the black robes pulling the corpse over and onto its back. Snape gasped, but Harry gave a grunt of satisfaction, for staring up at them, her eyes vacant in death, was Bellatrix Lestrange, a victim of her own curse.

Of her fellow Death Eaters there was no sign, but there were two other bodies at the back of the alley surrounded by upset crates and boxes. These two were not dead, but had been heavily stunned; they had been unloading stock for one of the shops when the Death Eaters had arrived. Solomon in his guise as Dumbledore went to give them attention.

Cries of, "Harry! Harry!" drew Harry away and back to the small group at the mouth of the alley. Hermione was still very agitated and was calling for him.

"It's OK, I'm here" Harry reassured her as he took her from Ron, who had been trying to comfort her.

She clung to him as if her life depended on it, murmuring his name over and over again, her head pressed hard into his chest.

Harry looked around at his four friends "Look after AH for me, and get him back to school." With that Harry closed his eyes for a moment, then he and Hermione vanished.

They reappeared in their common room, Harry cast his eyes around, and with a wandless transfiguration that McGonagall would not have believed him capable, turned one of the large desks into a bed. Hermione would not let go of him, so he manoeuvred her around to enable him to sit her down on the edge of the bed. Very gently he eased her grip and swung her legs up so that she could lay down, and then pulled himself up next to her.

Once before he had followed his common sense to heal this young woman, this time he reached out and placed his hand on her forehead. It was hot to his touch and little beads of perspiration made it damp under his palm. Closing his eyes he thought at her, but the usually welcoming open mind of his girlfriend was gone; her brain was frozen at the instant the killing curse had struck the shield that Hermione's Tear had produced. The only word he could read in her mind was the one she had been repeating over and over again… `Harry'… `Harry'

He pushed against the barrier that was holding him back, and as it slowly gave way he tried to fill her mind with warmth and comfort. Then gently he projected his thoughts

`I am here Hermione, and I'm never going to leave you. You're safe now, it's all over.' He held that thought and repeated it again and again.

There was nothing from her to begin with and Harry began to worry he would not be able to reach her. Then as if the thought was coming from a great distance she replied, `Are you sure? I saw death Harry, it was coming for me and I was so scared, did it get me?'

`No my love you are fine, AH is fine, death found someone else to visit today. Open your eyes and look at me.'

Hermione responded to that gentle command and opened her eyes; there were two intensely green eyes staring back at her, mere inches from her own, filled with worry for her. Then a kiss so warm and tender, that the last vestiges of shock slipped away, she gasped "Oh Harry" and then the tears began to fall.

As Harry cradled her in his arms the tears dried, and he felt her relax and her breathing told him that she had fallen asleep. There was a quiet knock on the door from the Gryffindor Common Room.

Harry muttered the unlocking charm and said "Come in."

The door opened a crack and Ron's head appeared round the edge. Harry beckoned him in, then put a finger to his lips telling him to be quiet. Ron entered followed by AH who ran over to the bed, then tentatively reached out to touch Hermione's head and gently stroked her hair. He looked up to Harry who could see the tears gathering in AH's eyes, and whispered "Is she going to be alright Harry?"

"Yes" came an equally quiet response "She's had a very nasty shock, but she's sleeping now" the relief in the boys eyes was immense "don't worry AH, Hermione will be fine."

A glance at Ron told Harry that AH was not the only one that had been worrying about Hermione, they exchanged smiles. Then Ron gathered AH up and told Harry they would come back later.

"Thanks mate" said Harry "Thank the others for me."

Ron nodded, and with AH in tow left the way they had come.

………………………………..

Voldemort was in a rage, and Draco was in hiding. Two of the six that had returned from Hogsmead with the news of Bellatrix's demise were dead themselves. The Dark Lord's vengeance was terrible to witness, and the fate of the two Death Eaters left Draco wondering if he should not run away, but deep down he knew that it was too late for that.

The source of the curse which had killed Bellatrix was laid firmly at the young boy who had appeared at the end of the alley way. All the survivors of the raid had clearly stated that he was the only one pointing a wand in their direction. They hadn't even time to set up the anti apparation ward round the village before the boy had appeared.

They assumed that the intervention of the Head Girl had only allowed the two of them to avoid Bellatrix's initial curse, but none of them had witnessed the curse being fired back because of the blinding flash that had preceded it. Draco heard all this and from his experience the year before knew that Granger had more to do with it than they thought, but he kept his own council.

Lucius Malfoy, whilst mourning the lost of his sister in law, was secretly rejoicing, for he was now Voldemort's second in command. It fell to him to organise the death of this child who had taken the Dark Lord's favourite, and he knew just who to send.

"Ah Draco, you know who this boy is, who so spectacularly rid us of your Aunt?"

"Yes father his name is Dibble, Potter and Granger are his, well, guardians, I suppose, he survived Aunt Bellatrix's attack on the orphanage."

Lucius laughed "She always was a sloppy worker, and now her carelessness has cost her her own life. It has also given you a job."

Draco began to worry at this. He wasn't going to take on Potter, or Granger for that matter, in an open attempt to get at Dibble. His father saw the fear in his son's eyes.

"Not to worry Draco, not for you to get your hands dirty," the words dripped from Lucius like oil from a can. "Severus will do it, he will make it nice and messy, and in public. You just have to tell him… to give him his orders."

The relief must have shown in his face for Lucius laughed again. "Only one more little thing Draco…"

"Yes father?"

"Don't get caught." Lucius turned and left the room.

Draco stared after his father; he could hear his laughter, fading into the distance as Lucius walked away.


-->