Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Wedding by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Wedding

H_HrFan

Chapter 4: The Wedding

Luna took a step back and stared at Ron in disbelief, wondering if he'd changed his mind about his feelings toward Hermione. They'd talked about it often in the weeks leading up to the wedding and until now, Ron had never wavered in his belief that he and Hermione didn't belong together. She knew that whatever was going on in his mind would become clear to her very soon…the wedding was only days away.

Luna felt a twinge of guilt at the way her heart raced as cold, hard fear shot through her. He had never kissed her, they hadn't made any declarations of love…there were no promises. And still, she felt her heart breaking as Ron continued to stare at Hermione's photograph. She stepped into his line of sight and she could clearly see that his thoughts were no longer with her. She grabbed a handful of floo and without another word she stated her destination and was gone.

When she arrived home she immediately set to writing a letter to Hermione- before her emotions could get the best of her and she spent the rest of the night in tears…

Dear Hermione,

I realize you left here only an hour ago, but I've been sitting here, thinking about what you said and I'm begging you, Hermione…please do not run.

If you feel that you cannot cancel this wedding in time, then you still must show up at the ceremony. Cancel it there, in front of all your friends and family if you must. If you run you'll be leaving behind too many questions and things will be even more difficult for you when you decide to return.

There are some things in life that we can't run away from; no matter how much we might want to…this is one of them. You need to face this straight-on, there is no other way.

Personally, I'm not sure you could run far enough to escape Mrs. Weasley, anyway.

Please, Hermione, be there.

I will always be here, ready to talk … or to listen.

Your friend,

Luna Lovegood

She hardly knew what she'd written when she folded the letter and sent it off with an owl. All she could do for now was sit back and wait…and lose herself in a torrential rush of emotional heartbreak.

"Oh, Ronald…"

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

D-Day

Hermione was sitting on her bed, staring down at her wedding dress and dreading what was to come…

KNOCK KNOCK

She closed her eyes and attempted a deep breath. "Yes?" she said tightly.

Her mum opened the door and peeked in. "Almost ready?" she asked cautiously; after the argument they'd had the night before, Mrs. Granger had been feeling apprehensive about how Hermione was going to react to her that morning. When Hermione didn't answer, she entered and sat on the other side of the gown and frowned at her daughter's forlorn expression. "It's just nerves, sweetheart," she said in what she hoped was a soothing, comforting voice. "Everything'll be all right once you get to the church."

Hermione shook her head. "No, it won't!" she snapped. "I told you last night that I can't do this and I meant it, mum!" she fumed. "I can't go through with this. I won't!"

"Hermione, we've been planning this wedding nonstop for three months," her mum replied exasperated. "Every spare minute has gone into getting the details just right. A lot of time and effort has gone into this. How can you back out the night before it's supposed to happen? I'll not accept that. Nor will Ron, I'm sure. You've been with him for over a year now. And how long were in love with him before that?" Without waiting for an answer she ploughed on. "I can assure you, Hermione, what you're feeling is perfectly normal. I'd say that nearly every bride has felt it right before the wedding. It'll be all right." She stood and rubbed Hermione's shoulder affectionately. "Come on, sweetheart, start getting your things together," she added, gesturing vaguely toward Hermione's dress and the makeup on her vanity. "Five minutes."

Hermione crossed her arms over her chest and fumed. "Parents!" she huffed angrily when her mum shut the door behind her. She walked to the vanity and saw Luna's letter lying there. She unfolded it and her eyes were drawn immediately to the words, Cancel it there, in front of all your friends and family if you must.

Hermione grabbed her dress and shoved her makeup into the first bag she found before running out her bedroom door. "Mum!" she shouted. "Mum, I'm ready!"

Her mum came from around the corner. "All right, sweetheart, let me just get my things." She passed Hermione and frowned. "You're going to wrinkle that dress carrying it that way. I hope your hands are clean."

"Just get your stuff, mum," Hermione groaned. "Didn't you say it was time to leave?"

Within minutes they were driving down the road to the church and Hermione felt almost giddy as an idea began to form in her head. Her only concern was how she was going to get in touch with Ron before the ceremony…she didn't want to drop the news without first giving him a heads-up.

"I have to see Ron when we get there," she informed her mum as they drove.

"Hermione, its bad luck to see the groom before the ceremony, you know that," her mum chided. "Besides, you'll be seeing him everyday for the rest of your lives, I'm sure you'll survive the few hours before the ceremony."

"It's my life!" Hermione shouted. "Why can't you people understand that? If it's bad luck I have to deal with then fine, I'll spend my life with a black cloud hanging over my head. I could really care less…I'm going to find Ron."

She sat, determined to spend the rest of the ride in silence. Considering this was supposed to be the happiest day of her life, she was feeling pretty miserable…not to mention downright obstinate.

Suddenly, a thought of wedding dresses and conversations and opinions entered her mind and her eyes went wide with fear. "Mum," she said quietly. "That dress!" She looked behind her and then turned her panicked eyes to her mum. "It's not going to turn colors on me, is it? Please tell me it's not that mood dress thing Mrs. Weasley was talking about."

Mrs. Granger shook her head. "I don't think so, sweetheart," she replied. "So far as I know, we just got a plain, white dress that you could fix any way you liked."

Hermione breathed a sigh of relief and laid her head back against the headrest to quell her restless thoughts. Fifteen more minutes and they'd be at the church her family had attended for years…she only hoped she could stand up before God and all her family and friends and go through with her plan.

She closed her eyes and a vision of Harry standing at the front of the church filled her mind. She could hear the music playing and she watched the distance between them narrow as she walked down the aisle. Her heart raced as she drew nearer and she felt her own restrain as she fought the urge to run to him, scared he might disappear. The last few steps brought her to him and he held his hands out for hers. She grasped his hands as a silent tear slid slowly down her face. Harry leaned forward and kissed her cheek, "congratulations," he whispered against her ear.

Hermione stepped back and looked questioningly into his eyes just as Ron appeared from behind him. "There she is," Ron said softly. "You look beautiful, Hermione. I'm a lucky man." He gently pulled on her arm and Harry let her go without a word…without a sound. Ron beamed down at her. "Aren't I a lucky man, Harry?"

Hermione looked at Harry and shook her head. "No," she whispered fiercely. "Harry, no!"

She sat up, gasping for air when the car pulled to a stop at the church. "No," she whispered again, more urgently this time. "This can't happen," she breathed inwardly. "I can't let it."

She jumped out of the car and ran full tilt toward the church, ignoring the shouts of "stop!" and "Hermione!" that were coming from her mum. She pushed through the door shouting Ron's name as she ran down the hallway.

After what felt like an eternity Ron stepped out of one of the rooms. "Hermione?" he said incredulously. "Hermione, what's wrong? What is it?" He pulled her through the door and into his arms. "Shh…" he softly crooned as he held tightly to her. "Tell me what's happened."

Hermione buried her head in the familiar nook between his chest and arm. "I can't do this, Ron," she murmured against him. "I'm so sorry…"

"Shh…" He smoothed her hair and kissed the top of her head. "Come on, Hermione," he said, gently pushing her back so he could look at her. "It's okay."

Hermione shook her head. "No! It's not okay!" she cried. "If we go through with this, it'll never be okay." She looked up at him and searched his face. "You do see that?"

Ron took Hermione's chin in his hand and raised her head until their eyes met fully. "Trust in me, Hermione," he implored. He kissed her gently on the lips and forehead before releasing her completely. "Trust."

Hermione nodded. "I do, Ron," she said softly. "I do trust you. But I want to stand up in front of all our family and friends and tell them we can't do this. I want…" she paused momentarily to fully collect herself. "No, I need for Harry to see the truth." She cast worried eyes at Ron, her gaze unwavering. "I love him," she lowered her eyes and took a ragged breath, "God help me, Ron, I really do." She met his eyes, placed her hand against his cheek, and whispered, "Forgive me, please. I didn't mean for this to happen."

Inwardly Ron smiled at her admission. Outwardly he kept his feelings hidden behind a blank facade. "Trust, Hermione," he said again. "Please, go get ready. Our mums are probably going spare."

"Ron, I-"

"I'll see you out there in an hour," he quietly interrupted. "Now go, before they start screaming about how this is bad luck or some other nonsense."

Hermione kissed Ron's cheek. "I do love you, you know. And I'm putting all of my faith in you right now."

"I know, Hermione," Ron said quietly. "So am I."

Hermione took a few steps toward the door then turned around. "Have you seen him?"

Ron shook his head. "Not yet," he reluctantly admitted. "But don't worry about him. He'll be here."

Hermione reached for the door and turned the handle, "That's what I'm afraid of," she said just before closing it behind her.

She walked slowly down the hallway, figuring someone would eventually find her and direct her to where she needed to be. Not surprisingly, it happened almost immediately.

"There you are!" Ginny cried. "Mum sent me to find you. Thought maybe you'd run away or something," she added with a laugh.

Hermione chuckled wryly. "Nope, not yet. Still here." Although I'd like to run away, she thought wryly.

Ginny grasped her hand and pulled her along. "It's in here," she said when they got to the door through which Hermione dreaded to go.

Hermione put her hand on the door. "Please, tell me there's a three-headed dog behind this," she pleaded.

"Worse," Ginny laughed. "Our mums."

"Great," Hermione groaned as she pushed open the door.

No sooner had she gotten through the door when a shout of, "Hermione Jane!" assaulted her.

"Mum, please," she said, stalking through the door and slamming it shut behind her. "Give me a break." She held her arms up in the air and shouted sardonically, "It's my wedding day, after all! Aren't we supposed to be happy?"

Mrs. Granger looked wide-eyed at Mrs. Weasley. "I'm so sorry," she apologized. She turned back to Hermione, her face an angry red. "Hermione-"

Hermione put her hand in the air to cut her off. "Don't expect me to listen when you won't." She grabbed the dress and tossed it to her mother. "Let's get this over with, shall we?"

For the next forty-five minutes Hermione allowed herself to be primped by her mum and Mrs. Weasley. When they finished, Mrs. Weasley magicked the wrinkles from her dress and smoothed a few stray hairs. "Are we ready then?" Hermione asked when they finally stepped away.

"Don't you want to look at yourself, sweetheart?"

"No," she replied firmly, shaking her head. "Not really."

Mrs. Weasley chuckled lightly and spun Hermione around by the shoulders. "You really must look, dear," she said, stepping back so Hermione could take in the full view.

What she saw when she gazed into the mirror astounded her. She wasn't aware of any glamour spells being used, and yet she found it hard to believe that the girl who walked in would now be walking out a beautiful … woman. "Wow!" she said in awe. "How did you do this?"

"We didn't do much, dear," Mrs. Weasley exclaimed. "You're a natural beauty. It shines from within."

"Even when you're less than personable," her mum mumbled under her breath. "Come on, sweetheart, it's almost time."

Hermione stared at herself a moment longer and a brief image of a smiling Harry appeared beside her. She couldn't resist smiling back. I must be out of my mind, she thought when the image faded and she was once again left standing alone. She turned around to face the room. "Has anyone seen Luna?" she asked. "I need to speak with her privately for a minute."

Ginny ran out the door and into the church before either Mrs. Granger or Mrs. Weasley could say a word. She returned a minute later with Luna in tow. "Will you excuse us?" Hermione asked looking pointedly at her mum and Mrs. Weasley.

"Yes, dear, we'll only be just outside."

Hermione turned her head toward Luna and rolled her eyes. "I'm sure you will," she muttered. Luna snickered softly and Hermione turned to the mums and smiled brightly. "Thank you, I'll be out in a shortly," she replied forced enthusiasm.

The second they closed the door Hermione pulled Luna into a hug. "Thank you," she whispered against her ear. She pulled back and looked into Luna's watery eyes. "Do you know why I went to you the other night?"

"Well," Luna started slowly, "it wasn't like you could go to Ginny with Harry problems."

Hermione shook her head. "No," she said firmly. "I went to you because I knew I could trust you to say what I needed to hear, and not to pacify me with what you thought I wanted to hear. The letter you sent me, do you remember what you wrote?"

Luna shrugged and nodded. "Sort of," she replied vaguely. Her eyes glazed over as she remembered the way she felt that night and how upset she'd been about the way Ron had reacted to the news she'd given him. She felt it cut deeper when she thought again about how they hadn't spoken since.

"In the letter," Hermione's voice cut into her thoughts and she was brought promptly back to the present.

"Uh-huh?" Luna said, shaking her head to loosen the hold thoughts of Ron had on her.

"…you told me to put an end to everything in front of all of our family and friends if I had to…and you were right. I've come here today to do that." She raised her hand when Luna opened her mouth to speak. "I know that you love Ron. I've spent a lot of time thinking about our conversation over the past couple of days…I've thought about little else, to be honest. You deserve to be happy, Luna, and I refuse to take that opportunity away from you." She put her hand on Luna's shoulder and smiled. "Assuming Ron loves you in return."

Luna dropped her head. "He never said as much, but I thought he did," she said softly. "But now I'm not so sure." She looked up at Hermione, searching her eyes. "Have you talked to Ron about this?"

"A little," Hermione nodded, focusing her gaze on a spot beyond Luna's shoulder. "He told me to trust him, so that's what I'm going to do. Because it doesn't matter, Luna, if he can't stand up to his family and mine," she paused and turned her head until their eyes met, "…I damn sure can. This charade ends today. Sit near the front, okay? Sit nearest you can to me and Ron."

Luna nodded and hugged Hermione once again. "Thank you," she whispered in a raspy voice. "I don't know if I have a chance," she pulled back and looked gratefully into Hermione's eyes, "but it looks like my odds are about to improve quite a lot."

Hermione linked her arm through Luna's as she prepared to walk out of the dressing room. Before they could move, Hermione turned a narrow-eyed glance to Luna and she smiled, a knowing gleam in her eye. "Tell me something…"

"Mmhmm?" Luna hummed with a smile of her own.

"Is there really such a thing as gnarish dust?

"I knew you were going to ask me that eventually," Luna laughed.

"Well?" Hermione asked, an eyebrow raised questioningly.

Luna shook her head lightly, her cheeks turning a pale pink, and her large gray eyes shining mischievously.

Hermione's eyes widened. "You mean you made that whole thing up? Right then and there?"

Luna shrugged. "Had to keep you talking," she said nonchalantly. "I was afraid you were going to leave before we even got to talk. I had to find a way to keep you there." She looked at Hermione with her own eyebrow raised. "And what better way than to talk about something I knew you'd never heard of?"

Hermione laughed as she pushed open the door of the dressing room. "I knew you were good Luna," she said incredulously, "…but I had no idea you were that good. Thanks."

Luna squeezed Hermione's arm. "Anytime, Hermione," she said, her voice returning to its as-of-late seriousness. "Remember that." She looked around and suddenly pulled her arm from Hermione's. "I'm going to get my seat," she said, raising her eyebrows and rolling her eyes. "Looks like everyone else is already inside."

Hermione looked around and for the first time, it dawned on her that her father was waiting alone. "Where's everyone else?" she asked, although inside she was quite relieved to find them gone.

"They've already gone inside," Mr. Granger said holding out his arm. "Are you ready for this?"

Hermione looped her arm through his and took a step forward. "I can't go through with this, daddy. I want you to know."

Mr. Granger nodded. "I understand."

Hermione stopped and turned to look at him. "How?"

"I've had my suspicions," her father laughed. "You can't very well convince two mums hell-bent on creating the wedding of the millennium now, can you?" He held her chin in his free hand and forced her to meet his eyes. "What are you going to do? Do you want me to put a stop to it?"

Hermione shook her head. "No thanks, daddy," she replied, her strong, firm voice belying the fear she felt flowing through her in waves. "I allowed it to go this far, I'll find my own way out of it."

Mr. Granger smiled. "That's my girl," he said with obvious pride. "I'm sorry for not seeing it sooner, pumpkin. I would've tried to talk to your mum if I'd known all the facts…or even some of them. You'd been hiding things pretty well up until a few days ago…" he squeezed her arm and winked, "when Harry came by."

Hermione felt her face flush and she turned from him until she was facing the door of impending doom. "I'm scared, daddy," she whispered softly.

"As you should be," he replied in the same soft whisper. "Let's go."

They stood in the doorway, waiting for the music to start. Hermione leaned toward her father. "Hold me tightly, daddy, Harry's going to be up there."

Mr. Granger nodded and the music started. Together they walked forward, Hermione trying desperately to keep her eyes looking anywhere but at the party gathered at the opposing end of the aisle. The gasps and awes went unnoticed as her thoughts became tangled and nearly incoherent. She squeezed her father's arm and held on for dear life. When they stopped in front of the place where Ron waited, Mr. Granger pried himself loose, kissed Hermione on the cheek, and took a step back to sit in his seat beside her mum.

Ron put out his hand and hesitantly Hermione reached for it. "Trust," she mouthed in silent reminder. Ron tipped his head in a nearly imperceptible nod.

They stood side by side, holding hands, and looking out at their many guests. To the outside world they looked like a couple grown together into a union of solidarity. Inside, their hearts were fit to burst with the shocking truth. The preacher cleared his throat and Hermione turned to smile at him. "You look beautiful, Hermione," he said kindly. "I can't believe how much you've grown."

Hermione's eyes clouded over and she nodded. "Thank you."

The preacher scanned her eyes and he frowned. "Everything all right?"

Hermione shook slightly as her anxiety built. "Yes, father," she whispered. "Everything's fine."

"Ah, nerves," he said, smiling again. He cleared his throat and looked at Mr. and Mrs. Granger. "Who here gives this woman's hand in marriage?"

The Grangers made to stand and Ron put out his hand, urging them to stay seated. He took a step away from Hermione and proclaimed, "I do," to the shock of all in attendance.

The preacher looked out over the crowd and chuckled lightly. "Well, son, that's quite nice," he said a bit apprehensively, "but unfortunately, you're the groom. It's not proper for you to-"

Ron once again held up his hand and the preacher stopped talking at once. Soft murmurs began to buzz around the room and Ron cleared his throat loudly. "Excuse me!" he said loudly. "Can I have your attention, please?"

The buzz stopped almost at once as all eyes turned to Ron. "It is with much regret that I inform you I will not be getting married today."

Mrs. Weasley jumped to her feet. "What!?!" she screamed. "Ronald Bilius Weasley you…" she shook her finger at him as the words she wanted to scream became lodged in her throat.

All around them voices grew louder with speculation. "Quiet!" Ron hollered. "If you lot'll shut it, I'll explain."

Once again the buzzing stopped almost immediately and all attention was focused on the couple before them. Ron looked out amongst their family and friends, his eyes stopping to rest on Mr. and Mrs. Granger. "I'm sorry," he said loud enough for everyone to hear. "I love your daughter, sir, I really do," he began. "In fact, I'd have to say that I love her enough to save her from a life of misery…" he paused and looked at Hermione before continuing, "but not enough to make her my wife. That's not the kind of love we share." He looked back out into the crowd, only this time his eyes sought Luna's and his voice dropped lower. "I'm not sure that it ever was."

Hermione smiled from beside him and followed his gaze to where it rested upon Luna. Her heart leapt at the chance they would now have and slowly she released the breath she'd been saving for just this moment.

Hermione started when Ron stepped aside and pushed Harry forward to stand beside her. "Look at these two," Ron said his voice booming. Harry and Hermione turned to look at each other and in an instant, everything else slipped away. "This is what it looks like," Ron continued. "This is what it's supposed to be."

Harry and Hermione each took a step toward the other and reached out their hand. The moment their hands touched, Hermione's dress turned a light shade of blue. Molly gasped and collapsed back into her seat. Ron looked down at Harry and Hermione and smiled. "You know what that means, don't you mum?" he asked indicating the new color of the dress.

Molly nodded, albeit reluctantly. Her eyes roved worriedly to Ginny's face. Her brow crinkled as she followed Ginny's gaze to where Dean sat, not far behind her. Inside her, the knot in her stomach began to uncoil as she turned her attention back to Ron.

Ron stepped over to Harry and Hermione and placed a hand on each of their shoulders. "The truth came out in the past few days…" he said, once again addressing the crowd, "the whole truth behind mine and Hermione's engagement. The way conclusions were jumped to before Hermione even said yes to my proposal. The way we've been manipulated by our mums so they could plan the perfect wedding. And the fact that Hermione isn't in love with me…that her heart does, in fact, belong to Harry." The noise of the crowd grew in intensity and Ron heard the faintest mumblings of, "how could she do that to him?" and "and just before the wedding, too."

Ron put two fingers in his mouth and whistled loudly to recapture everyone's attention. "Now, before you go on about how wrong it is that Hermione's in love with someone else let me finish. First of all, I need to say that she's not alone in that. I'm not in love with her either and I never should have proposed. Had I thought it through more carefully all of this could have been avoided." He chanced a glance at Luna and sighed. "But," he continued, "that's all in the past now, we can't go back and undo what's happened so it's time to move forward. Over the course of the past few days, it's come to light that not only is Hermione in love with Harry, but he's in love with her as well." All around the church audible sighs could be heard from nearly every unattached female.

Mrs. Granger stood up. "So what is this about?" she demanded. "Where are you going with this? My daughter's never even dated Harry, how could she possibly…."

Mr. Granger pulled her back down into her chair. "Not right now," he whispered fiercely.

Mrs. Granger, however, wasn't backing down and she looked back up at Harry, Hermione, and Ron. "How could she know she's in love with him?" She wrapped her arms around her husband's neck as he pulled her into his arms. "This isn't making any sense," she cried. She looked directly into Hermione's eyes. "How is this happening?" she implored.

Ron squeezed Hermione's shoulder. "I know you'd like to hear Hermione address that question, Mrs. Granger, but I have something to say first." He looked at Hermione for approval and at her nod, he continued. "I've had a lot of time to think over the past few days and I've been trying to determine when it was that I should've started to see the signs. It took a while before I finally realized that I couldn't because the truth is…they've always been there. We've stood together for many years, adventure after adventure, one life-or-death situation after another, and I can assure you that what they're feeling right now has only grown through the years. I can't find a starting point because at eleven years old, you're not looking for one. And I'd bet everything I have- everything I will ever have- on the fact that they've loved each other from the beginning."

When Ron finished, sniffles could be heard from all around the church. Hermione wiped her own eyes and turned to hug Ron. "I love you," she mouthed as she pulled him closer for a kiss. "I love you, too," he whispered back.

He stood up tall and wrapped his arms around the shoulders of his two best friends. "I have a proposition," he stated, looking from Harry to Hermione. "One kiss, that's it." He looked out at Mr. and Mrs. Granger. "Just one kiss. If they can walk away from each other when it's over then we'll all walk away…" he looked at his mum challengingly, "or, I'll marry her…right here, right now."

Harry and Hermione turned to face each other and brown eyes met green in a heated stare. "I don't even need this, Hermione," Harry rasped. "I already know how I feel. I couldn't deny it to myself no matter how hard I tried. I need you."

Hermione cupped his jaw with her hands and moved closer. "I need you, too," she whispered softly. "And I love you."

Harry licked his lips and pulled her to him, Hermione licked hers and smiled tenderly. Moments later their lips met and they fell against each other, Hermione's arms wrapping around his neck and Harry's tightening their hold on her waist. All around them people were forgotten. The world disappeared and they were all that existed. Hermione's dress turned a fiery red and all around them people gasped and began to shift uncomfortably in their seats.

Mrs. Granger turned to look at Molly. "I thought we didn't get that dress!" she whispered fiercely.

Mrs. Weasley shrugged innocently, her eyes wide.

Fred and George sniggered as they watched the exchange. "My turn," whispered Fred. George lowered his wand and Fred raised his just enough to point it at Hermione's dress, turning it such a deep shade of red that it appeared almost purple.

After so many years of the twins' capers and pranks, Mrs. Weasley was fine-tuned to their mischievous sniggers and she rolled round on them quickly. "Fred! George!" she hissed.

The two men started and tried their best to look innocent. George shrugged his shoulders and Fred tried to smile without bursting out in laughter. When Molly turned around they quietly released their pent up laughter and George reluctantly returned Hermione's gown to white.

No one noticed Ron gesture to Luna or her subsequent appearance at his side. "It's time to give us a try," he murmured against her ear. "Are you ready?" Luna nodded and pulled him down to her to share their first kiss.

Slowly Harry and Hermione parted, staring into each other eyes as they struggled to catch their breath between more chaste kisses.

Ron cleared his throat and Harry and Hermione were quickly, albeit reluctantly, brought back to reality. Ron looked out at their family and friends and quipped, "So, are there any objections?"

All around them heads were shaking. Hermione walked down to her parents and drew them both into a hug. "I love you," she whispered tightly through the lump in her throat. She turned to face her mum. "I tried to tell you I couldn't marry Ron."

Mrs. Granger put her hand to her daughter's cheek. "I know you did, sweetheart," she closed her eyes as a tear slid down her cheek, "and I am so, so sorry for refusing to listen. Forgiven?"

Hermione glanced back at Harry and smiled. "I don't think I could be angry at anyone right now," she said, turning back to face her mum. "But it won't be easy to forget later."

Her mum nodded and caressed Hermione's cheek. "I understand. We'll talk about it later."

Harry appeared next to Hermione, putting his arm around her waist as he shook Mr. Granger's hand. "If she'll have me, Mr. Granger, I'd like to marry your daughter." He glanced at Hermione with sparkling eyes before turning his attention back to Mr. Granger. "If that's all right with you," he added with a nervous chuckle.

Hermione jerked her head around to stare at Harry, her heart about to burst through her chest. "Oh, yes!" she cried. "Please, daddy," she pleaded. "Please say yes."

"Yes," Mr. Granger replied without hesitation. "If it's what you both want, who am I to stand in the way? By all means, yes."

Hermione flew into Harry's arms. "Are you sure this is what you want? Are you sure it's me you want?"

Harry put up his hand to caress her cheek. "I've never wanted anything more," he whispered sincerely. "We have some planning to do, don't we?"

Hermione nodded. "We can start right away," she said, feeling truly excited for the first time that day.

Neither heard Ron step up behind them and they started when his hand fell on their shoulder. "Sorry guys, just one more thing." He directed them back up to the front and cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. "Both Harry and Hermione were asked a simple question a few days ago and, remarkably enough," he rolled his eyes playfully, "they both came up with the same exact answer…or, well, near enough anyways." He looked down at Harry and Hermione and asked them again, "Would you marry," he looked at Hermione, "him," he looked at Harry, "her," he looked between them, "if things could be different?"

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and smiled. "I'd marry him [her] tomorrow," they said together in a repeat of what they'd already confessed to Ron and Luna.

Ron smiled down at them. "And so, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, today's bride and groom." He stepped back and waved his arms with a flourish at the couple.

"So without further adieu," shouted Fred.

"Let's get this wedding started!" shouted George.

Harry and Hermione hugged tightly, neither wanting to let go of the other until finally Harry whispered, "Walk to me, Hermione," into her ear.

Hermione felt the shiver run through her body and she stepped back to rub the goose bumps from her arms and nod her head. She kissed his cheek then stepped down to take her parent's hands to walk out of the church. When they reached the hallway Hermione grinned. "Come with me, mum?" she asked. "I need your help for a minute."

Mrs. Granger nodded and followed her daughter into the room where Hermione had gotten ready earlier. Hermione walked to the mirror and frowned at the way her makeup had dulled through the tears she'd cried. She began to wipe at the smudges under her eyes. "Let me help you with that," her mum said, stepping up with a soft cloth. "Hermione, there really are no words to tell you how sorry I am for the way I acted. But," she said before Hermione could interrupt, "in my own defense, I truly did believe it was nerves. Why didn't you tell me you were in love with Harry?"

Hermione looked into her mum's eyes and softly asked, "How could you not know?"

Mrs. Granger refocused her gaze on Hermione's face as she continued to clean the mascara from beneath her eyes. "How long have you known?" she asked after a moment's silence.

Hermione took a deep breath. "For sure, since the night that Ron proposed." She looked past her mum, deep in thought. "In truth," she shrugged, "I can't pinpoint a time…forever, I suppose."

"He has always been the one I call when you've needed someone," her mum said thoughtfully. "It just hadn't dawned on me how it is that he's the only one whose ever been able to get through to you. I've never given much thought to it, really. I suppose I should've been looking with my eyes open…sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees, sweetheart. I'm sorry."

"Me too," Hermione replied. "But now," she threw her arms together and squealed excitedly, "now everything's all right. It's better than all right," she shouted, throwing her arms around her mum's neck. "It's perfect!" She stepped back and looked into her mum's eyes, her expression suddenly serious. "I do love him, mum. Regardless of all the things we haven't yet experienced together, I do love him."

Her mum smiled. "I know, sweetheart." She placed her hand against Hermione's cheek. "My eyes are open now and I promise you…I can see it."

Moments later Hermione was standing before the doors to the church, shifting anxiously from foot to foot, as they waited for the doors to open and the music to start. "I love you, daddy," she said, clinging tightly to his arm. "And I can do it this time," she added with a laugh.

Mr. Granger laughed with her. "That's my girl," he said, squeezing her arm with his free hand. "You look radiant."

"Thank you," she replied just as the doors opened and the music began to play. She glanced at him, her eyes shining and opening exaggeratedly. "Don't let me run," she said, skipping for the first step. Her father chuckled and held her back just a bit as they began their walk.

Harry stood on the other end of the aisle, smiling across at her and looking more handsome than ever. She held tight to her daddy's arm and forced herself to concentrate on taking one slow step at a time. When finally she stood in front of him, he reached for her hands and pulled her close and kissed her cheek. "I love you," he whispered against her ear.

Ron stepped forward and kissed the top of Hermione's head. "You look beautiful, Hermione," he said softly. "Harry's a very lucky man."

Harry glanced from Ron to Hermione and smiled. "Yes, I am," he said, looking at her affectionately. He turned to look at the preacher. "Anytime you're ready, sir, I'd love to make this woman my wife."

A soft chuckle sounded throughout the church then the preacher cleared his throat and began the ceremony.

Fifteen minutes later, Harry and Hermione turned to face their family and friends as husband and wife…

"It is my honor to present to you, Mr. and …?" he looked at Hermione hesitantly, not knowing if she was taking Harry's name or not. Hermione nodded and shrugged her okay. "Mrs. Harry James Potter! Husband and wife!" he finished loudly.

Harry and Hermione shared a kiss then stepped into the maelstrom of well-wishers. Hermione turned around to search for Ron, who was standing across the room holding onto Luna's hand as he watched his friends with a smile of contentment on his face. "Thank you," she mouthed when their eyes met. Ron nodded and wrapped his arms around Luna and kissed the top of her head to show Hermione that everything was good…that they'd both gotten exactly what they wanted.

"Someone's got to change the cake!" shouted George above the crowd.

"I'll do it!" Fred shouted in return, and the two men raced each other to the adjacent reception room.

Harry and Hermione laughed as they heard Mrs. Weasley's voice shouting, "Don't you boys touch that cake! Do you hear me? Fred? George? You better listen to me boys. Boys!?!"

Harry leaned down to whisper in her ear. "I love you Mrs. Potter."

Hermione straightened and looked into his eyes. "I love you, too, Mr. Granger," she whispered back with an impish grin.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

A/N: I realize that Ron is much more mature in this than we might believe him to be, but sometimes it's necessary to write him OOC. *wink*


-->