Unofficial Portkey Archive

HULK by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

HULK

Classic Cowboy

Chapter 3: Beauty and the Beast

"Reparo," Harry said as he used magic to repair his robes and pants. "At least it didn't dump the robes this time," Harry sighed as he eased around the corners of the school, thankful for being more then half dressed this time instead of being bare-chested in midday. Even though his robes are now sleeveless and slightly ragged despite the repairing spell.

Harry snuck into the commons room and on up to his dorm with no contact with anyone, though he presumed he would be slammed for missing three classes and running out of Potions class. Harry then changed his cloths and started out but ran into someone as soon as he got out of the door. He looked down to see Hermione sprawling on the floor trying to gather her dropped books.

"Oh I'm sorry, Hermione," Harry said apologetically squatting down to help her pick up her books, "What are you doing at the boys dorms? Shouldn't you be in your class?"

"I'm here in between classes," Hermione explained grabbing another, "I was worried about you when you ran out of Potions like that, Are you alright?" she asked as she and Harry both made a grab for the last book.

"Umm …" Harry said, blushing when they grabbed each other's hands instead, "I'm fine, just felt … a little green that's all."

Hermione then looked even more worried, but not letting go of his hand, "Shouldn't you lie down if you feel ill, Harry, I could tell Professor McGonagall …"

"NO!" Harry snapped, and then looked apologetically when he saw her visibly flinch, "I mean, no I'm alright now Hermione, I already got some medication."

"You did?" Hermione asked narrowing her eyes, "I just came from Madam Pomfrey, and she said she hasn't seen you …"

"I … uh …" Harry stuttered finally letting go of her hand, "I didn't see her, I just took some Muggle stomach medication I brought with me. I thought I'd just use what I have and let her worry about someone who would possibly need her more than myself."

"Hermione studied him for a moment, then smiled accepting his excuse, "Honestly, Harry, you should realize by now that she's there to help you," She then turned her back and started down the steps, "But after all this time, I can understand how you would dislike being in there."

She then spun around and smiled, "So do you feel like coming with me to a late lunch? I haven't eaten yet, I went to the Library instead. Normally I wouldn't miss class as you are aware, but Ron said you weren't at lunch and I would be more then happy to eat with you if you like!"

"No thanks, Hermione," Harry said giving her a weak smile, "I still don't feel well, I think I'll just go grab a book from the library, come back, and lie down for a bit," He said walking past her down the stairs.

"Oh … ok …" Hermione said, looking downcast, "Maybe some other time then …"

--

Harry awoke with a start and noticed he was once again wearing only lose pajama bottoms. "What did I … oh god …" He said, turning pale as he looked around his surroundings. He was lying in the central courtyard of Hogwarts, but his heart jumped into his throat as he saw it broken and in flames.

He stood up and he felt sick at the site of students and professors around him, all beaten to death. He made a dash into the main castle, which appeared to barely be standing. "Professor Dumbledore!" He cried when he saw the aging professor lying in a puddle of his own blood at the front of the great hall. "Oh god what have I done?" he asked as he dropped to the professor's lifeless form.

"RON!! NO!" He cried when he saw Ron's body under a large piece of rubble, but felt his lunch rise into his throat when he saw Ron was not actually under rubble but broken in half with his upper half lying beside the rubble.

"H-Harry …" came a weak voice, which made him feel even worse.

Harry swallowed hard, then turned and saw Hermione laying on her back in the center of the great hall. "HERMIONE!!!" Harry cried almost diving at her side. He picked her up in his lap, his heart breaking as he ran his hand through her blood-soaked hair, and then wiped the blood that ran from her mouth from her cheek.

"Why?" she choked out, "why?"

"Hermione," Harry whimpered, "save your strength, I'll get help."

"Why Harry," she said tears sliding down her face and, her eyes showing hurt, and for the first time, contempt for Harry, "I … I would have tried … to help you … maybe … I could of … why didn't … you trust me … why?"

"Hermione … I was … I was scared …" Harry said, tears sliding down his face, absentmindedly pushing the glasses that wasn't even there up on his nose, "I'm so sorry …"

"Why? Why didn't you trust me?" she asked again before going limp in his arms.

"HERMIONE!!" Harry cried, as he held her tight. He then looked up and a piece of glass from the destroyed ceiling of the great hall. He laid her down, then stood up and started walking toward the glass. He looked in the glass and saw instead of his reflection, he saw a massive green monster.

"Puny Human," the beast said as he reached out of the glass and gripped Harry's neck.

"NOOOO!!!!" Harry cried jumping up in bed, drenched in sweat.

--

Ginny Weasley slept comfortably in her featherbed, magically set to just her specifications, and was pleasantly dreaming. What no one could tell but the occasional moan of 'Dracobaby' would make one wonder. "Ginny, Ginny, wake up," came Harry's voice, as two arms seemed to come out of nowhere gripping Ginny's shoulder shaking her.

Ginny's eyes slowly opened and upon seeing the disembodied arms, made her start to scream but a hand covered her mouth, "Shush, it's me!" Harry said pulling back the invisible cloak, "See, I really needed to talk to somebody."

"Bloody hell, god damn you, Harry, it's two in the damn morning, god damn it!" Ginny hissed, trying to keep from waking up her roommates.

"Ron's right," Harry smirked, "You really do have to wash your mouth out every morning."

"Oh sod off, I'm sleepy," Ginny snapped, rolling over.

"Please, Ginny," Harry pleaded.

"No, go wake up, Hermione," Ginny mumbled into her pillow, "She doesn't believe in beauty sleeps, I do, now fuck off."

"But Hermione doesn't know about my … problems," Harry said, moving to the other side of her bed, to give her his best puppy dog eyes.

"I don't see what I ever saw in you," Ginny grumbled, sitting up, and giving Harry a death glare, "Ok, you win, you jerk, wait for me in the common room. I'll give you ten minutes, any longer and you'll spend the next month as the opposite sex. Don't believe I can do the spell? Ask Fred."

"You're a life saver, Gin!" Harry said pulling on the cloak and leaving the room.

--

Ginny walked down the stairs to the common room, wearing a fluffy bathrobe. "Ok, Potter, what's so bad that you woke me up at two in the bloody morning?" she asked walking toward where he was seated next to the fire.

"I … I had a nightmare," Harry said blushing slightly.

"Sirius? I remember you having a lot of nightmares about that back at the burrow," She asked setting down, her angry face being replaced by a worried one.

"No … I dreamed … I lost control," Harry explained looking down.

"Lost control?" Ginny asked, concern in her blue eyes.

"I dreamed it … it broke free," Harry explained, "And killed … everybody and destroyed everything."

"Harry that's not going to happen," Ginny said grabbing his hand and giving it a firm squeeze, "I've notice something about it, it seems to carry over your heroic tendency thing, it seems to only want to protect. Like when Sebastian tried to hurt me. As soon as it took care of him, it went away."

"But what happens if … if it takes more control, and just goes on a rampage or something. I don't think I could live with myself if it hurt any of you," Harry said, looking into the fire.

"I still say you should tell Hermione about this, she's my friend and it hurts to keep this from her," Ginny said coming over and giving Harry a tight hug, "Harry, Hermione deserves to know the truth, it will only hurt her more if you keep it from her." She then gave Harry a quick kiss on the cheek, "She deserves to know, and it should come from you."

"No need to tell me anything," Hermione's voice snapped from behind them, "I already see what's going on."

"Hermione!" Harry gasped as Ginny leaped back and the two turned to see her looking at them both with tears streaking her face.

"Hermione," Ginny said fearfully, "Hermione, it's not what it looks like."

"Shut up!" Hermione all but screamed, "What is it then? I see you two come in the other day both of you half nude, then meeting down here to snog, no wait, or were you just going to shag right here in the middle of the common room?" she hissed hurt and venom dripping from her words.

"Hermione!" Harry scolded, "That was uncalled for! I had a bad dream, and she came down here to talk to me, that's all." Hermione looked even more hurt.

"Likely excuse, like I'd believe anything either of you would say anymore," Hermione said her eyes still burning with rage and pushing out fresh tears.

"Hermione … please …" Ginny said sadly, "It's not like you think …"

"Whatever, Ginny, Harry," Hermione snapped, turning quickly and moving toward the stairs to hide her trembling lip, "I never want to speak to either of you ever again, I hope you're happy together."

"Hermione! Wait!" Harry said, starting to go after her.

"Harry, no," Ginny said grabbing his arm, "Let her cool off, we'll both talk to her tomorrow when she's cooled down, ok?"

Harry didn't say anything but watched where she retreated. "Hermione …" He finally sighed and went up toward his dorm.

--

Next morning in the great hall, Draco Malfoy stood off to the side with a large group of boys from not only Slytherin, but also Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw as well, "Ok, raise your hands if you're tired of Ms. Perfect Prefect Mudblood." He said as all the thuggish boys raised their hands, "When she goes off on her duties alone in after breakfast," He said with a sinister smile, "We'll pay the Mudblood back."

As if on cue, Hermione walked into the great hall. "Hey Hermione!" Ron called waving at her, she looked at him for a moment, but seeing Harry setting beside of him, she turned and sat down on the opposite side of the table. "What'd I do?" Ron asked, sulkily.

"Not you, mate," Harry sighed, "She's upset with me."

"You? She didn't get mad when you bout took her head off on a daily basis last year," Ron mused shoving food in his mouth, "What could you possibly do that would put her panties in a knot?"

"She thinks I'm snogging and or shagging Ginny," Harry said quickly, but still caused Ron to spit his food all over the table.

"You are not, are you?" Ron asked warningly.

"OF COURSE NOT, RON! BLOODY HELL!" Harry shot irritably, but quickly calmed himself down.

"Well then go and talk to her," Ron suggested picking up the pieces of food he spit and started to cram it back into his mouth. "What?" he asked the large amount of disturbed faces, "no need to waste is there?" he then looked back at Harry, "Listen mate, Hermione can be as stubborn as you, you know. Just go and try to talk to her, she'll give in and listen eventually, or … she'll turn you into a rat and feed you to Crookshanks, whichever comes first."

"You think that would work?" Harry asked, looking at him hopefully.

Ron shrugged, "That's what I always do, and it's worked for what now, six years?" He then nodded toward the closing door, "Now's your chance, go and talk to her while she's patrolling. If she'll listen to you, tell her I said hi."

"Thanks, Ron," Harry said running out of the great hall.

--

Hermione walked out into the large central area of the castle. "Damn it," She sighed when she found both stairs moving away from the platform she was on.

"Hello Hermione," Zacharias Smith's voice came from the doorway. "You shouldn't wonder by yourself alone, especially this day and age."

Hermione turned around to ask why he wasn't in class, but instead suddenly felt something hit her cheek that felt like a brick. She cried out and collapsed to the ground. "Even if we get expelled," Zacharias said, among a large group surrounding her, "making you pay will be well worth it, Mudblood," he said before kicking her in the ribs.

--

"Where is she?" Harry asked wondering the halls of Hogwarts, finally coming to the central area. He then leaned on the railing and looked down into the large open area. No matter how long Harry would come to Hogwarts, the central area always amazed him. Then something caught his eye.

Two flights down, on the other side of the central area, a large group of older boys where gathered together on a platform, and Harry narrowed his eyes to see that they were kicking something on the ground, but he couldn't quite make it out though.

Harry first made out what looked like a black cloth but finally made out what looked like a brown bush. It took less then a second to register. "HERMIONE!!!!" Harry cried in fear and rage, "GET AWAY FROM HER!!" He shouted, pacing back and forth, waiting for any staircase to move so he could get to her, but none were moving anywhere close. He paced along the railing like a caged animal, shouting at them to stop and leave her alone, but they paid no attention.

He then gripped the railing, and did the only thing he could do: watch his best friend get beaten. He listened and he could hear them curse and taunt her as they hurt her. And he listened closer, and he could hear her crying. They were making Hermione cry. They were making HIS Hermione cry. The railing began to crack.

Harry looked down at his hands and saw that they were growing and taking a greenish tint. He didn't even notice it coming this time. He then felt it wash over him, the rage, hatred, and anger. It all washed over him like a cold shower, and he felt his muscles growing. And for once, he didn't care.

His robe and shirt ripped, tore, and fell at his feet, as he grew taller and broader. His feet grew until they burst from the shoes. Harry was gone, and now there was only the Hulk.

--

"What's the matter, Little Mudblood," a boy asked, as he kicked Hermione hard in the ribs, "Crying like the little bitch you are, pathetic."

The attack started again but suddenly stopped when what sounded like the cry of a wild animal came from above them.

They looked up and a green blur came flying toward them through the air. Suddenly two boys felt something grip their faces, then found themselves being hurled into the thick stonewalls. They hit with a sickening thud then feel to the ground unconscious. "W-WHAT IS THAT??" Zacharias gapped at the massive green monster, who was pounding his chest like a gorilla, then with a nightmarish roar, he grabbed a large boy by the neck, and choke slammed him hard into the stone floor of the platform, leaving a body sized imprint in the floor.

The hulking giant then grabbed two boys by the sides of the neck and slammed them together like cymbals, then dropped them like they were used trash. "Leave … her … alone … now …" it growled stomping toward the now fearful thugs.

"STUPIFY!" Draco said stepping out of the shadows, then turning his back on the beast, "that is how you-" he then made an eep sound as he felt himself spun around and raised by the collar.

"Not Lapdog!" the Hulk all but screamed in Draco's face, before beaming him through the staircase landing hard on the platform on level below them on the other side. The monster then turned back toward the three remaining boys and continued stomping toward them.

The two remaining boys tried to run past him to the exit but only met the floor as it clothes-lined them both to the ground. Hermione slowly sat up, and looked up at the approaching green giant; she then let out a bone-curdling scream and fell back to the floor in a faint.

This seemed to affect the beast, and Zacharias took advantage of that. He pulled his wand in hopes of cursing the beast somehow. But instead found his hand enwrapped in a monstrously huge green fist. "Hulk … SMASH!!" It cried as it swung the teenager around above his head like a rope, then let him fly screaming into the chasm.

"Her … My … Ne?" it asked, going down on one knee, and nudging her with a finger. It then gently picked her up, and it appeared it thought she was made of cracked glass. He carefully laid her down to cradle in its huge arms, "Her … My … Ne …" it whispered brushing a strand of hair her bruised cheek, "me get you help," it said before leaping across the chasm. He then made a dash into the large corridor, making a beeline toward the medical wing, not caring if anybody sees him.

--

Madam Pomfrey sat at her desk, taking a sip of her tea when a loud noise jarred her office. She quickly ran out to see what was the matter, and her eyes widened when she ran almost into the nine and a half foot behemoth cradling the teenaged girl in its arms.

"Help," It said in an almost familiar voice, looking down with a look of fear in its emerald eyes, "please."

Madam Pomfrey's mouth worked up and down, in a state of complete shock. In all her years at Hogwarts she has never seen anything like this creature. "Help … group hurt … Hulk save … help." He said, lowering the injured Hermione to the stunned nurse.

"Hermione?" Pomfrey gasped, coming out of her state, "P-Put her on that bed beside you!" She ordered getting her equipment prepped. The Hulk nodded confusedly, but gently placed Hermione down on the bed, and carefully pulled the light sheet over her.

"Madam, Pomfrey, what has …" Professor Snape asked as he, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Dumbledore ran into the medical hall but stopped on a dime at the sight of the Hulk.

"Oh my goodness!" McGonagall gasped, bringing her hands to her mouth in shock.

"What in Merlin's name?" Snape said pulling a wand, and pointing at the Hulk.

"SEVERUS! NO!" Dumbledore cried pulling his arm down.

"Albus! That's …" Snape started but turned back at loud crash, they all looked back up to see the beast gone and a massive whole where a large window used to be.

"Professor Dumbledore, with all due respect," Snape sneered, "Why did you stop me from protecting Ms. Granger here, Professor McGonagall, and yourself?"

"He meant no harm to any of us," Dumbledore said walking over to the injured teen.

"How do you know?" Snape shot irritatedly.

"It is not in his nature to hurt, but to protect," Dumbledore said walking over to the hole in the wall, as if to try to see which way it went, "He isn't a monster, even if he doesn't know it yet."

To Be Continued …

C. Cowboy: still can't say much without spoiling the story, so keep on reading and reviewing! Thanks go out to Xavien for betaing for me. Don't forget to review!

Next Chapter: Rage of a Broken Heart