Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Path Of Pantheria by TheMissingPotter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Path Of Pantheria

TheMissingPotter

Chapter 2

Hermione felt something move beside her and at first; she believed it to be Crookshanks. The damned cat thought he was human enough to hog the bed most nights. Then a warm arm circled around her middle and pulled her even closer. Her eyes flew open and she had to fight the urge to push whoever was in her bed away from her.

"Mione…" she heard him mutter and she smiled. She was with Harry of course…now she remembered that she had agreed to stay with him until he had fallen asleep. They were both going to be in huge trouble if they were caught like this. Ron for one would never forgive them, even if it were only a friendly gesture. She rubbed her eyes a little trying to rid the lingering sleep.

"Morning," he said softly, his breath tickling her ear. She rolled over on her back and smiled. He was watching closely with those intense green eyes of his.

"Morning Harry…we need to get up," She said and tried to push the covers off of them. Harry once again pulled her close making her laugh. It also made her sad that this is probably the most affection he'd ever received from someone. She knew Cho never wanted much from Harry and Ginny…well she wanted so much from Harry but he couldn't give it to her. In her own guilty world, Hermione was so glad for that.

"We don't have too…" he said softly letting his eyes close.

"Yes we do…come on get up," she laughed and pushed him on his back making him groan in protest.

"I'll see you down stairs," She said and climbed off the bed. She heard the bed move and before she could turn around Harry's arms were around her.

"Thank you Hermione," he whispered and kissed her cheek. She stared at him stunned and just nodded. She opened his door as quietly as she could before closing it behind her.

"What were you doing?" a cold voice called out. She spun around and she could have sworn she heard her heart scream. Ginny leaned against the wall near her own bedroom door, her eyes burning into Hermione's.

"I was talking to Harry…"

"You weren't talking to Harry…you weren't in your bed this morning, you were in his," she said slowly.

"What is it to you anyway Ginny? He's not your boyfriend anymore," Hermione groaned walking briskly to the room she shared with her friend. All summer long, well up until Harry got there, Ginny was doing nothing but complaining about her break up. She hated to admit it that Harry did kind of use her and the way he broke up with her was crummy. But it had to be done.

"What did you say? Are you going out with him? What about my brother!" Ginny yelled slamming the door closed once they were both in the room. Hermione spun on her and glared.

"Harry is my best friend and so is Ron, there isn't anything I wouldn't do for either of them! I'm sorry that my closeness with Harry is a threat…"

"You seriously are no threat to me Granger…"

"Granger?!"

"What's going on in here?" Molly said pushing the door open. Her hands were on her hips casting angry stares at both girls. Hermione stood there drawing a blank as to what to say or even explain why Ginny was angry with her. Ginny started to open her mouth to speak but Harry appeared in the hallway behind Molly.

"Mrs. Weasley, Fleur said she needed you down stairs," he said softly eyeing Ginny over her shoulder.

"Probably about the flowers…you two…I'm not finished talking with you both…" Molly warned before hurrying towards the stairs.

"Harry…you're finally here!" Ginny said happily. Hermione gaped at her and what was even worse was Harry smiled at her, the one smile she only saw when he was truly happy. Hermione rolled her eyes and pushed past Harry.

"Mione wait…" Harry called after her but she kept walking, completely forgetting that she was still in her nightgown.

"Whoa…Hermione," she stopped in her tracks and saw Ron at the bottom of the stairs staring at her. She frowned and looked at herself nearly screaming.

"Oh damn…"

"Did…you just curse?" Ron snickered receiving a hard smack from her. She ran back down the hall and was relieved to not see Harry in Ginny's room. On the other hand Ginny was on her bed reading some wizard magazine. Hermione quickly grabbed her summer dress and sandals. As she changed she could feel Ginny's eyes burning their way through the back of her head. It was so annoying. There was nothing going on between her and Harry, nothing at all. She didn't understand what the big deal was…maybe she was making just as much of a deal as Ginny was. She grabbed her brush and brushed away the smoothness of her hair, making the bushiness come back. She heard a snicker from behind her. Hermione glanced at herself in the mirror and fought back the urge to through something at her friend. She ran her hands over her hair meanwhile whispering a smoothing charm over it. Grinning as it smoothed down and became silky again.

"Wow…you can actually pass for a girl right now," Ginny smirked getting off her bed. Hermione whipped around and stormed up to her, pushing her hard on the bed.

"Shut up Ginny. I can take the teasing and the insults from your brother and anyone else…but not you," Hermione said through clenched teeth. She turned on her heel and walked down stairs, nearly slamming into Harry at the bottom of the stairs.

"Mione…are you…"

"Harry…please stop calling me that," she said angrily. He looked down at her and nodded, a look of sadness washing over his face. She hadn't meant it that way; she was just in the wrong mood to be called a childish name. In all honesty, she loved the nickname, it was the first, well the only one she liked. Ron called her Hermy…that really annoyed her. Mione…was almost like he was calling her…his.

"Wow…first time I've ever seen you in an actual dress…besides the gown of course but that doesn't really count," Ron smiled coming up behind Harry. She smiled at him and nodded before moving past them.

"Hermione dear, would you like some breakfast?" Molly asked standing near the stove. She shook her head and looked over at her two friends over her shoulder.

"No thank you, I need to take a walk…" she said kindly. She opened the back door and began walking towards the pond.

*****************************

Ron watched her out his window…something was off about her but he dared not ask. She was in one of those moods, kind of like the one when she sent little golden birds to attack him. He had heard Ginny and Hermione fighting earlier but didn't think it was his place to ask. In fact, even Harry was acting weird. He hated it when everyone knew something and he didn't, once again, he was the actual sidekick.

"Hey Ron…you in there?" Ron turned to see Harry poking his head into the room.

"Yeah…you can come in," he said softly and looked back down at her. More than anything, he wished she could talk to him. Harry moved to stand next to him and looked down at her as well.

"I've been away from you guys for only a few weeks…and I feel like everything has changed," Harry whispered, quietly sitting down on Ron's bed. Ron frowned and watched him as he pulled on his hair.

"Harry…what are you talking about? You mean with Ginny?"

"Yeah…but not just her… you and Hermione have changed as well…. especially her," he murmured. Ron looked back down at her and sighed a little. His mind still wanted to believe that she was the annoying little girl that he's always known. But when she showed up only a few days after school ended, she seemed so different.

"I know what you mean…she grew up in a matter of days. She's not the same Hermione," he laughed softly. Harry nodded and wringed his hands together.

"So…what's going on with you and my sister?" Ron asked crossing his arms over his chest. He loved his baby sister but he did understand why Harry had to do what he did. It wasn't fair, neither was Harry having to be the "Chosen One" but that didn't mean Ginny could act out like a little brat.

"She's a great girl…but…it just can't happen. I'm grateful for the time I had with her but…"

"She wasn't the one for you?" Ron finished for him.

"Yeah…kind of like you and Lavender…except I actually liked Gin," Harry teased. Ron laughed and felt his face burning. Lavender…that was a mistake. He was just so sick of being left behind even by his own sister.

"I understand Harry…but she'll need some time to get over it," Ron said clapping Harry on the back.

"Isn't this sweet," Ginny said from the doorway. Ron snapped his eyes at her and frowned. She had copied what Hermione was wearing but…shorter and showed off things that weren't supposed to be showed off. Harry looked up and was unfazed, for that Ron was actually glad.

"You want something Gin?" Ron asked blinking at her.

"Yeah, Harry…would you like to go on a walk with me?" she asked sweetly. Something that was very, UN Ginny like. He glanced over at Harry who looked like he just realized who Ginny was.

"Um…actually I was wanting to spend time with Herm…"

"Oh like you didn't spend enough time with her last night?" she scoffed crossing her arms across her stomach. Ron jumped and stared at Harry. Please Merlin, let this have been a joke or some exaggeration.

"What? I had a nightmare last night and she came in too check up on me. I didn't want to be alone so she stayed with me…is that a problem?" Harry asked looking confused about both Ron and Ginny. Ron just stared at him, slowly thawing from the shock. Of course, it was only a friendly gesture, nothing more. Harry would never do that to him…he took a deep breath and didn't even realize he'd been holding it.

"…Whatever Harry," Ginny rolled her eyes and walked away.

"Girls…" Harry muttered, Ron had to agree but he laughed instead.


-->