Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Path Of Pantheria by TheMissingPotter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Path Of Pantheria

TheMissingPotter

Chapter 6

"Welcome to Hogwarts! For some of you, it will be your last, which I am very sad to see you go…No matter. There are several announcements I would like to make…" Dumbledore's soft voice rang out. Harry was so relieved to see that the old Professor was looking much better than he had when they left before summer. Hermione sat across from him and like usual; there were tears in her eyes as she listened to him talk about the same exact things they'd heard year after year. He looked over at the teacher's table and saw a few seats empty. Hagrid's was usually empty seeing as he was always late to the welcoming feast. Snape's chair looked particularly eerie sitting there unattended too.

"Due to past events, our Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher is no longer here, his spot will momentarily taken by Professor Avian Legosi. He'll be arriving in the next few days from Spain."

Great, another new teacher to break in and say farewell too at the end of the year. All the same old faces were there, even Professor Slughorn much to his dismay. He'd have to look up different excuses to get away from him this year. He rubbed his face with his hand when he heard gasps erupt all around him. He nearly jumped up ready for whatever it was when Ron grabbed his arm.

"Oh god…not another one…" Harry quickly looked up at Dumbledore trying to figure out what just happened.

"The Samhain Ball, or the Fall Ball, will be held on Halloween. It is strictly only for 6th and 7th years. No one younger is allowed to attend. More information on that when it comes closer. I believe that is enough chatter for one evening. Let the feast begin," He said with a smile and waved his hand as the food appeared before them.

"I can't believe there's going to be another dance!" Hermione said excitedly grabbing a biscuit. Ron's face had drained of all color and pushed away his plate. Harry wanted to smack him. He had nothing to worry about, all he had to do was ask Hermione and she would say yes. Part of him really hoped that he would chicken out again but then he didn't, he couldn't bear to see that look of disappointment on her face. There were plenty of girls who were dying to be seen with the "The Chosen One. It was rubbish. The one he wanted was sitting right across from him.

"Who are you going to ask Harry?" Parvati Patil asked a few seat down from him. They had gone to the Yule Ball together, only because he'd waited to long to ask Cho.

"Uh, give me a month and then ask me," Harry laughed shoving his face full of potatoes. He could sense her staring at him but he didn't bother to look. He was still trying his hardest to not give Ginny any ideas that he wanted to get back with her.

"I can't wait to go dress shopping again," Hermione laughed and turned bright red when everyone stared at her.

"Oh shut up," she muttered looking down. It was so unlike her to act…well like a girl. It didn't help that her two best friends were guys.

Dinner went along smoothly, everyone was eager to catch up with old friends rather than eat. After they were finished the 7th years went on ahead past the Prefects to their dorms.

"Well boys, I will see you two in the morning. It's so great to be back," Hermione smiled before giving each of them a warm hug. Both of them watched her go up to her room and waited for her to disappear completely.

"Yeah…bright and early for Mcgonagall's class," Ron shuddered stomping up the steps.

"At least we don't have old Sluggie like the Ravenclaws do," Seamus smirked starting to unpack his trunk. Harry laughed, crawling up on his bed. He lay down on his back and closed his eyes, listening to his friends talk.

********

"Hermione! Oh god please no!" his voice was so distant, so far away as he watched her frail body slump to the ground. Ron collapsed down on the ground next to her, screaming for her wake up. Harry's legs didn't want to move, they were rooted to the spot. He had to get to them before he killed Ron as well. He saw another flash of green erupt from the darkness, hitting Ron square in the chest.

"No!" Harry screamed, his body finally free from whatever force was holding him back. He fell to the ground and screamed over and over again. He was too late, he was always too late. They died because he was unable to move, too scared to even try and kill him.

"Harry…" it was that voice again. So soft it was almost playing with his senses. He heard it again, this time stronger and much closer. It was empowering him, pushing him to stand on his feet.

"Kill him…" it whispered again, rolling along his skin.

"I can't…"

"You have no choice…"

"I don't want this!"

"You have to end this now! Believe Harry, kill him for us. We love you," the voice was no longer a whisper but a clear sound unlike any he had heard before.

"Don't bother listening to her Harry…she's feeding you lies. Succumb to me…it's your only choice," He hissed at him in the darkness. Harry felt cold all over the warmth the soft voice had provided him was seeping away, weakening him. Suddenly he felt two strong hands grabbing his face and turning him away from his two dead friends and the dark.

"Harry you have to believe!" the voice yelled at him, showering him with light and warmth. He opened his eyes slowly and saw eyes that were much his own. "I believe in you," she whispered.

Harry shot up in bed, his breath coming out ragged and short. It was the same dream over and over again. Only this time he saw her. It really was his mother all this time. She was trying to help him, make him stronger with his dreams. They always left him feeling weak and strained, like he was really there. Who knows, maybe he was and she was testing him. Harry pushed the covers off his legs and slipped off the bed. There was no way he was going to be able to sleep now. He watched his best friend with envy as he snored away.

"Jerk," Harry muttered and walked over to the windowsill, sitting down and leaning against the cold pane. Usually when he would have dreams like this, it meant something. He wasn't seeing into Voldemort's head anymore or anyone else that he was aware of. Something on the ground moved catching Harry's eye. Must be an Auror doing their rounds. Harry was about to look away when the thing sprinted off towards the forest. He pressed his face against the glass and watched as it disappeared into the trees. What the hell was that? That couldn't have been an Auror…They don't run like that and they surely wouldn't go into the forest alone and at night.

"Harry? You alright mate?" Ron's groggy voice came from his corner of the room. He glanced over to see his friend sitting up and rubbing his face.

"Yeah…couldn't sleep…you?"

"I heard something…you should try to get some sleep," Ron yawned lying back down. Before Harry could say anything Ron was out, back to snoring loudly. Harry shook his head and laughed. He didn't know how he could though, the dream would come back for sure and that thing running across the courtyard. He sighed heavily and leaned back against the window.


-->