Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Eight-hundred Pound Gorilla by HandofFate
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Eight-hundred Pound Gorilla

HandofFate

A/N: Very short introduction to the story. Please review. What do you think?

Disclaimer: All characters courtesy of the wonderful J. K. Rowling.

The Kiss-Chapter 1

"What the hell did she do that for?" thought Harry.

His heart pounded.

He turned and looked at her. Her sweet breath and filled his nostrils for just a brief second.

His skin tingled.

He stared now. Had he felt her body brush against him?

His heart pounded harder.

"Why didn't I kiss her back?" he thought.

His breath quickened.

"Nah, she didn't just make me jealous smiling at Ron," he thought as Hermione smiled at Ron.

His face flushed.

"Harry, we don't have all bloody day," demanded Vernon Dursley.

"I'll be right back," said Harry. He ran after Ron and Hermione.

"Hermione! Ron! Wait up," he yelled before they'd gone out of sight.

His heart pounded. Butterflies the size of bats seemed to be growing in his stomach.

"Harry, your Uncle is going to be furious," said Hermione.

Harry grinned. He'd just heard the most beautiful voice in the world.

"Oh, stop it you git," he said to himself.

"What?" said Ron.

"Oh God," thought Harry. "I can't kiss her in front of Ron."

His heart pounded. He felt his hands desperately wanting to reach out to her and take hers.

"Oh nothing. I was thinking of Dudley whining about waiting for me and called him a git under my breath," he lied.

Ron and Hermione laughed.

He searched for some reason to have done the unexpected and run back to them.

"I don't know. I guess I just cracked at the thought of being alone this summer and I missed you guys already," he said looking into Hermione's eyes.

"We always spend the first hour talking about how we miss you too, Harry," said Hermione.

"HARRY POTTER! GET OVER HERE, NOW!" screamed Vernon Dursley.

Harry hardly noticed his bellowing Uncle as he imagined going home with Hermione transformed into Crookshanks being petted and fed and mournfully watching her change into her bedclothes unable to tell her it was him.

"HARRY!" screamed Uncle Vernon a second time bringing Harry back to reality.

Mr. Weasley heard his Uncle wailing at him. He walked toward him slowly.

"Harry, you'd better hurry. If he makes a scene like that with Dad, he'll be wearing a wizard robe and a red nose like a clown before long," joked Ron.

"Hermione, do you think that you and Ron could arrange to get me out for a birthday party at the Burrow at the end of July?" asked Harry with no earthly idea where the idea came from.

Harry's heart pounded in his ears now. He knew he was in a load of trouble with Uncle Vernon.

"Dear. Oh, Arthur dear," said Mrs. Weasley. Mr. Weasley stopped for a second while Mrs. Weasley approached. "Would you ask kind Mr. Dursley if he would entertain the idea of letting us have Harry for the weekend of his birthday this year?" suggested Molly Weasley who'd just overheard Harry talking to Ron and Hermione.

Hermione smiled at Harry broadly and then at Ron who was beaming as well.

"Dear kind fellow, I understand your frustration. Children can be a blessing and a curse. I have seven of them myself you see. Would you kindly let us entertain your nephew for his birthday this year? We would be doing it to take the burden from you as well as to allow his friends to enjoy it with him," said Arthur so diplomatically that no one who heard him could ever say "No".

Harry wanted to jump up and down as if he were five in a candy store. "Oh please. Oh please."

"Er…um…ah…Petunia, what do you think?" said Uncle Vernon.

"I don't see any harm," she said hardly able to contain the joy of getting rid of Harry for a weekend. "We could take Diddydums on a real holiday for once." Her face turned pink.

Dudley turned so red, he was almost crossed to purple.

"That would be alright I suppose. But would you mind if we brought him here to meet you?" asked Vernon Dursley remembering the last time Arthur had come to their house.

"Harry, will you be ready to come on time for the Dursleys? Don't make them wait like you have today," said Mr. Weasley with a wink.

"Oh sure, no problem. I will be ready in plenty of time," said Harry thinking `Take me now so Ron doesn't get any ideas.'

His heart pounded and his cheek begged for another kiss.

He shook Mr. Weasley's hand.

He hugged Mrs. Weasley.

He gave Ron the man hug.

And, without warning he gave Hermione a peck on the cheek which she returned again.

He looked around quickly. "Okay, then. A birthday party. See you guys in a month."

His heart had stopped for an instant when he kissed Hermione's cheek. He wanted to go to heaven. His lips felt as if they'd touched velvet for the first time.

Ron looked surprisingly uninterested that Harry had just kissed Hermione. He expected at least a red glow on his face after his jealous search for her with Viktor Krum just hours before.

"Good bye, Harry," smiled Hermione.

"Later, mate. See ya in a month," said Ron with a thumbs up and a smile.

"Where's our hug?" chimed the twins with a wink. "Just kidding mate."

Everyone laughed except Percy who seemed put out again.

Next to Hermione a glassy-eyed Ginny waved and said, "Good bye."

Harry turned toward the Dursleys realizing that it was only minutes before the harangue began. But he resolved to imagine Hermione and himself talking over pumpkin juice at the Weasley's later this summer. Just as he'd thought the endless squawking began as they got in the car. And it only ended with him shutting his bedroom door.


-->