Unofficial Portkey Archive

Reunion by JanieB
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Reunion

JanieB

Author's Note

This began as a little idea…which grew and grew…and is now twelve chapters long. I've finished this story and plan on posting a new chapter every second day. (By the way - this chapter is a "set up" chapter and is probably the shortest chapter - the rest are all longer!)

Genre

With respect to genre, while I've chosen Romance/Humour (for good reason!), it also contains some adventure, mystery and drama.

Ships

H/Hr, beginning of R/L, Ginny/Dean (I know, I know - Portkey = Ginny and Draco! But to me, Ginny being with Draco cries out for a whole subplot or sub-storyline of its own to make it plausible and this little story is about the Trio, not Ginny and Draco…for said subplots and storylines see some of my other fics…)

Huge Thank You

To the truly wonderful Kirsti - best Beta EVER! Hugs dear! Xoxox

Special G'days to

Timbo! *Waves* And Cindy and Gaby (sorry dear - no Draco in this one! Maybe next time!) and "B"! *Hi girls!*

REUNION

By JanieB

CHAPTER ONE

Ginny Does It

`You did it!' cried Dean Thomas as he grabbed his wife around the waist and swung her triumphantly up into the air.

Ginny Weasley Thomas laughed jubilantly as she wrapped her arms around her husband's neck, crying, `Yes, I think I did!

Dean let her slip slowly through his arms until she was standing on her own feet once more, although he kept his arms tightly around her as Ginny added thoughtfully, `Although I don't think I can truly take all the credit for it - I'm sure there's something going on with those three.'

`But they're coming,' Dean said, smiling lovingly at her, `and you did have some part in it.'

Ginny nodded and smiled as she stretched up to kiss him lightly before saying quietly, her expression contemplative, `Five years. Five years since they last saw each other.'

`Hard to believe they were once virtually inseparable,' said Dean, turning his head slightly to rest his cheek against her temple.

`What they accomplished still amazes me.' Ginny sighed deeply, referring to the Trio's defeat of Voldemort. `I just wish I knew what happened afterwards - why they left each other like that.'

`You and the rest of the wizarding world, love,' came the soft reply.

`Perhaps we'll find out, perhaps they'll finally talk about it, once they're all together again…'

The Trio Triumphant

Five years earlier, the Wizarding world, together with some Muggles in the know such as their Prime Minister, had been almost paralysed with a mixture of relief and joy. Voldemort had been vanquished once more. For good, this time - and again, it had been Harry Potter who had done it. With the help of Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, of course. As it had been at Hogwarts, so it now was: each member of that historical Trio was instantly recognised by sight and by name - it wasn't even necessary to use their surnames. Harry, Ron and Hermione. Everyone knew them. Even the capitalisation of the word "Trio" when used to describe them became accepted usage. Ron had admitted to Harry during the early days of those hectic months that he finally understood why Harry had always wished for a "normal" existence, with no notoriety or infamy attached to him or his life.

The adulation and feasts, the congratulations and award ceremonies (Order of Merlin, First Class, naturally, for each of them) went on for weeks after Voldemort's final defeat. Yet strangely, no one seemed to notice the escalating tension between the three famous friends during those celebrations - perhaps because everyone was too busy being happy, too busy celebrating - or perhaps they simply didn't want to see. And so, just before Christmas, when the spotlight that had been trained unmercifully on the Trio finally began to diminish at the glowing prospect of a happy, Voldemort-free Christmas, they each slipped away: Hermione to Paris, to begin preparations for taking up the newly created position of Professor of Wizarding Studies at Beauxbatons Academy, Ron to Dublin where he worked for the Department of Magical Games and Sports (Irish Quidditch Division) and Harry to Hogwarts as the first Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher to remain (much to the relief of Headmistress Minerva McGonagall) for longer than one year since Tom Riddle had asked Professor Dumbledore for the job.

It wasn't immediately apparent that the members of the Trio were actively avoiding each other - after all, they were working, so it wasn't possible for them to see each other as frequently as they had in previous years. It took twelve months of declined invitations received from numerous sources for the wizarding world to begin figuratively scratching its head as realisation dawned. The questions at first were tentative…

"So, Miss Granger, you'll be attending Hogwarts for the annual memorial service for Albus Dumbledore as always?"

No, Miss Granger wouldn't be attending this year.

"Rather surprising, Miss Granger. Our readers would be interested to know what could prevent you from doing so…"

After silencing the reporter with a look reminiscent of a certain Hogwarts Headmistress, Miss Granger declined to give a specific reason aside from claiming the demands of her position left her little free time.

"But Miss Granger, you've attended every service without fail since…"

Sorry, but Miss Granger definitely had no comment to offer.

"So, Mr Weasley, you'll be heading over to Hogwarts for Dumbledore's memorial service I take it?"

"Erm, no, actually, not this year." Ron stumbled over his words. He'd been having lunch in the local pub as he did each Friday and had been caught totally unawares by a reporter visiting from London. The young witch gave him a quizzical look before saying, "Surprising - especially since Hermione Granger isn't able to attend. We thought at least two of the Trio would be there."

"Well, no, I can't go. Sorry, I have to leave now - I'm expecting an important owl from the Ministry this afternoon. Bye." Bloody hell, I sound like Percy! Ron had thought bitterly to himself as he made his way to the door.

"You wanted to see me, Professor McGonagall?"

"Yes, Harry. I was wondering about arrangements for Miss Granger and Mr Weasley for this year's memorial service - I assume they'll be the same as in previous years. When will they be arriving, by the way? Have you heard from them?"

"No, but I very much doubt they'll be coming, Professor."

"And why would you doubt that?"

Harry had looked down at the toes of his shoes which protruded from the hem of his robes, feeling strangely as though he was once more a student being admonished by his Head of House.

"I just have a feeling."

"A feeling, Professor? What sort of feeling?"

"That they won't be able to make it."

Harry could feel the gimlet gaze of the Headmistress boring into the top of his head.

"I see. And why would that be, Mr Potter?"

The corner of Harry's mouth twitched in amusement. It was very rare for the headmistress to forget herself and revert to using "Mr Potter" when addressing him.

"I don't feel I can speak for them, Professor."

"Convenient," came the murmured reply.

As the months passed, the questions became more and more pointed. It was Hermione who was first asked, point blank, "Are you deliberately avoiding Harry and Ron?" Hermione hadn't answered, but that in itself was enough to send reporters scurrying off to Ireland and Scotland to ask Harry and Ron the same question and to which they received the same answer: no answer.

It was around this time Molly Weasley came to realise that Harry and Hermione hadn't been to the Burrow since before Christmas and she made a point of inviting them for Harry's birthday. To no avail as it turned out; they both pleaded pressing work demands which prevented them from coming.

And so it was Ron who received the brunt of the questions from his family which he managed, rather inexpertly, to fob off.

Finally, in November, almost a year since he, Harry and Hermione had last seen each other, Ron was cornered by his mother, this time with no avenue of escape.

"Ronald Weasley! You will tell me this instant what is going on with you, Harry and Hermione! Why won't they come here? Why won't you go and visit them? Why?"

Ron froze. He was sitting at the scrubbed table in the small kitchen at the Burrow, a spoonful of homemade Spotted Dick halfway to his mouth, his eyes alone moving to rest on his mother's stout figure standing at the end of the table. She had her hands on her hips and her expression was implacably determined.

Ron put his still laden spoon down and sighed. He knew when he was defeated.

"Mum, I'm afraid this is how it's going to be from now on. Harry, Hermione and I - well, we won't be seeing each other for a while. I can't say why. You'll have to trust me."

"Trust you? What's that supposed to mean? Why won't you be seeing each other? What happened? What's going on?" Molly Weasley's voice, while questioning, was firm and decisive - and she expected an answer.

Ron gulped as he pushed his half finished pudding away, afraid to meet his mother's eyes.

"Well?"

Ron sighed. `Mum, Harry, Hermione and I agreed not to discuss our problem until we had a solution. I can't break my word, all right? Until we have a solution, we won't be seeing each other. That's all."

The silence that followed these words was deafening.

"That's all?"

Ron closed his eyes. His mother's deceptively quiet voice hid dangerous determination, he knew.

"That's all I can tell you, Mum. I'm sorry. Please, you just have to trust us. We know what we're doing." And that's a lie, he thought wretchedly.

The strangled sound that issued from Mrs Weasley at that point made it obvious she was extremely sceptical of this last piece of information, but of course, she had no choice; Ron flatly refused to say anymore. Harry and Hermione, when replying to the owls she sent flying off the next morning, gave her no further enlightenment.

In what seemed no time at all, the whole wizarding world became aware of the matter. And so it began - the incessant demand for answers from all quarters - but they were as waves breaking against solid rock. The Trio stood unmoved; no further information was forthcoming.

It was at this time that witches and wizards everywhere seemed to suddenly begin recalling that there had been tension between the Trio the previous year, during the celebrations for the victory over Voldemort. Everyone agreed that really, when you thought about it, each of them had been rather subdued in the last twelve months since - definitely not themselves. And in this, they were right. Each of the three famous friends had felt the loss of each other's company keenly, their heartache increased by the fact that they were unable to discuss it with anyone as they had managed to agree on silence until their problem was solved.

It took quite some time, but eventually each member of the Trio settled into their post-Voldemort lives. As the years passed, they even appeared to be reasonably happy, although anyone that really knew them could not fail to be aware of an underlying sadness in their eyes. They each answered politely when questioned about the others and always showed respect for the others' qualities, abilities and deeds. Still, they each became adroit at evading any requests and invitations to occasions which might bring them together - all from people that thought perhaps this time it would be different…

And so it remained … until Ginny's umpteenth attempt to get them together again…

Ginny Sallies Forth & Nags Mercilessly

Ginny worked for her twin brothers, Fred and George, who owned and ran Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. The enterprising twins now had three joke shops, their latest being in Hogsmeade Village where they were currently living and working, something they'd done with each new shop as they'd opened them. Perhaps it was truer to say she worked with them. She was, as George was fond of saying, a "witch-of-all-trades" and he and Fred would assure everyone that she was indispensable in the running of their business, from her ability to negotiate the purchase of necessary materials at a good price to her uncanny ability to cast many of the spells and charms needed in the production of their wares.

She, Fred and George often discussed Harry, Ron and Hermione and what could possibly have happened to make the Trio, who had been the closest of friends, stay away from each other, to the extent that they didn't even so much as owl each other. The Trio had not failed the wizarding world when they were needed and yet Ginny couldn't fight off a feeling that somehow the wizarding world had failed them in the end.

Fred told her she was imagining things; he maintained that it was the sight of each other bringing back horrific memories of the time leading up to the final battle and the battle itself that kept them apart. George would scoff when he heard this as he believed it was because the Trio had made a pact between themselves to stay apart for a period of time to avoid the unending intrusion into their lives. `Together, they're irresistible to every reporter and wizard or witch on the planet, but apart, they're not quite so potently famous,' (at which everyone to whom he spouted this theory snorted disbelievingly). `I think they did it so they could get on with their lives separately, in relative peace.'

Ginny would simply shake her head at the pair of them. She could never really settle on one of the countless reasons extrapolated by all and sundry. She had remained in touch with all three of them and had seen them too, over the years - more of Ron, naturally, he being her brother. Harry and Hermione did owl the Weasleys regularly but never came to the Burrow anymore. Mr and Mrs Weasley had long since given up on trying to convince them to visit, as had other family members and close friends.

In fact, speculation had been rife throughout the Wizarding world as to the reason behind the split - but that was all it was; no one really knew for certain.

However this year, when Ginny had visited each of the Trio individually, she'd been more than determined to do whatever was necessary to get them together, feeling somehow that if they did meet up again, just once, it would make all the difference. The Ministry's Yule Ball had seemed the perfect reason to "sally forth and nag mercilessly" as Fred described their sister's mission to George.

She went to Ron first, feeling he was possibly the easiest to convince given that he was her brother. When she had told him of the Ball, she'd pointed out that it was now five years since he, Harry and Hermione had defeated Voldemort and he really should consider attending. She went on to say that in recognition of their courage that night and which had resulted in so many lives being saved since, they owed it to the wizarding world to appear together again - just this once. She went on to say a lot more, too. When she realised that Ron was saying nothing, not a word, she stopped and looked at him. `Well?' she asked quietly.

Ron had sat at his kitchen table, elbows on the table with his chin resting in his hands, looking at his sister while she spoke, his eyes cloudy with memories she couldn't being to imagine.

`I'll come,' he'd answered quietly.

Ginny had sat stunned for a few seconds before collecting herself and jumping up, throwing her arms around her brother and thanking him. Ron, his ears almost as red as his hair, suffered this sisterly effusiveness for a few seconds and although he didn't really mind, he felt somewhat embarrassed as he disentangled himself from Ginny's embrace, saying cryptically, `Don't thank me, thank Hermione.'

And then she'd gone to see Hermione. Naturally, she'd asked her why Ron would make such a comment.

Hermione had shrugged in a rather Gallic fashion, due no doubt to her five years in France. Ginny had a strong feeling Hermione knew perfectly well what Ron meant and just wasn't telling. As it happened, she was right.

`Of course I'll come,' Hermione had said, adding with a small smile, `and when you see Harry, tell him that Ron and I expect him to be there.' Hermione's heart leapt within her at the thought of seeing Harry again, although many years' experience enabled her to conceal it.

Later that day, as Ginny left Harry's study to make her way back to Hogsmeade, she felt elation washing through her; all three of them had agreed to attend the ball, and yet she was left with the rather annoying feeling that something was going on with the Trio - something she knew nothing about and something which, once again, no one but the Trio was privy to.

Home again, Ginny mulled over how strangely easy it had been to convince them and wondered for the hundredth time that day, why? In the end, to avoid a headache, she decided that she would simply think of it as being done, and that was all that mattered. Besides, she'd find out eventually, wouldn't she? Surely…

The news that the Trio were reuniting once more spread throughout wizardom with the speed of a racing Firebolt. That they would be doing so at the annual Yule Ball hosted by the Ministry of Magic (although many were now referring to it as a Reunion Ball) on Christmas Eve created fierce competition for tickets to attend; Law Enforcement Wizards were kept busy trying to keep on top of certain unscrupulous wizardfolk attempting to sell either forged tickets or real ones at fantastically inflated prices.

As for the Trio, wrapped up as they were in their own personal thoughts, they remained happily oblivious to the furore their pending reunion was creating...

TO BE CONTINUED…

Author's Note

Next chapter this Sunday (late) or very early Monday! Cheers!


-->