Unofficial Portkey Archive

Reunion by JanieB
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Reunion

JanieB

Author's Note

I couldn't help myself - I just had to "visit" Hogwarts - hope you don't mind! *grins* (How I wish I REALLY could!) So enjoy this chapter - the last, totally fluffy one for a couple of chapters…the next chapter is when it all begins…

REUNION

By JanieB

CHAPTER FIVE

Onion Soup and Invitations

After stamping the snow from their feet, Harry, Hermione, Dean and Ginny walked into the welcome warmth of the Burrow's kitchen, sniffing appreciatively at the delicious aroma of Mrs Weasley's onion soup wafting through the air. As they removed their hats, gloves, scarves and cloaks and hung them up, they noticed Ron and Luna already sitting at the kitchen table, both with a steaming mug of hot chocolate. They grinned at each other when they spotted the bemused expression Ron was wearing; he was listening to Luna's patient explanation of her reasons for tying tennis racquets to her shoes.

`They are what Muggles call snow shoes, as they can't use magic to get through snow the way we do,' she finished, although Ron's expression made it clear he was no wiser.

Noticing Luna's hat perched beside the fireplace looking very disgruntled, Ginny laughed, `Luna, I love your hat! A polar bear, isn't it?' she asked as she took a seat next to her former schoolmate. Perhaps it didn't like compliments because as Ginny spoke, the bear growled, sounding distinctly unhappy. Luna got up and moved to pick up the effigy, taking it across the room and putting it gently on a small table by the back door; Hermione could've sworn she heard a contented snuffle come from the polar bear. Every face showed bewilderment as Luna turned to walk back to the table. `Yes, it is a polar bear, Ginevra. He was too warm there by the fire,' she explained airily, `and polar bears don't like to be too warm.'

Ginny and Hermione both managed to smother their giggles, while Dean and Harry both coughed to cover their laughter.

Later, after they'd all downed healthy helpings of Mrs Weasley's steaming onion soup and warm, fresh bread, Ginny and Hermione helped her clean up, enabling Hermione to ask Molly about inviting Neville and Luna to join them on Thursday for dinner.

As Harry had predicted, Mrs Weasley had no objections at all. `You may not have seen them much since school, but if Luna's anything to go by, I can't imagine Neville will have changed much either and he was always a wonderful friend, wasn't he? And two more mouths to feed is nothing,' prompting Ginny to comment under her breath to Hermione, `I think Mum just thinks the more to feed, the merrier!'

Meanwhile, Harry was asking Ron, Dean and Luna whether they'd be interested in visiting Hogwarts with him the following day. `Thought you might be interested in revisiting our old stomping ground,' he told them with a grin, `with the added bonus of the presence of a Professor who's on your side!'

The idea was greeted enthusiastically by all of them as well as Ginny and Hermione who'd had Harry's suggestion repeated to them on returning to the table. After she and Ginny had happily agreed to the idea, Hermione glanced at Harry who lifted his eyebrows inquiringly. When Hermione smiled and nodded, Harry knew it meant Mrs Weasley had said yes when asked about Luna and Neville coming. It warmed his heart to realise that their unspoken understanding of each other didn't appear to have diminished despite the years apart.

`I've just thought of something,' said Harry, looking at Luna, `would you and Neville like to come over this Thursday? We're all getting together for dinner,' he finished, deciding not to elaborate too much for now on the reason for the get together. Luna had been delighted by both invitations and left for home shortly afterwards to owl Neville. `He's moved to London - he's got a job at the Ministry of Magic,' she told them. `I'll Floo you as soon as I hear from him.'

After Luna left, Dean and Ginny Flooed to Dean's parents' home to visit them and have afternoon tea. Harry and Ron were just about to settle down to a game of wizard's chess (Ron wearing a smug expression as he had no doubts about beating Harry just as he'd always done), when Hermione asked them to join her in her room.

As a result, instead of enjoying a game of chess, Harry and Ron spent a couple of hours revising Hermione's notes with her and practising the recitation of the long incantation they would be using. They went over and over it at Hermione's insistence; she didn't want to take any chances that some tiny little detail which could prove to be crucial might be overlooked…

Hoggy Warty Hogwarts

Luna had Flooed the previous night to tell them Neville would be delighted to make the trip to Hogwarts; she and Neville would meet up with them all at the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade at ten o'clock the next morning.

When they arrived, Hermione commented that Hogsmeade looked as though it should be on a Christmas card; soft, rounded drifts of fresh snow were piled up each side of the street and glittering icicles adorned the edges of all the shopfront roofs.

At five minutes to ten, with Hermione, Ron, Dean and Ginny behind him, Harry pushed open the door of The Three Broomsticks. They were immediately struck by the warm air, redolent with delicious aromas and the happy hum of inconsequential chatter. As those closest to the door looked up and saw Harry Potter with Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley entering closely behind him, silence spread rapidly across the room and in no time at all, you could hear a pin drop...

As the door slowly swung shut behind Ginny and Dean, Harry turned and looked at Ron and Hermione, a rueful grin on his face. `I'm a bit of an idiot, then, aren't I?' he said under his breath, `I didn't even give a thought to what would happen if the three of us turned up like this.'

A quiet, purposeful murmuring, very different from the cheery sound that had first greeted them, gradually took the place of the stunned silence; every eye in the room was inexorably fixed on the five figures standing inside the door.

`Oy! Harry - you lot! Over here!'

Harry looked across the room to see Neville Longbottom standing and waving, Luna beside him, also waving.

Harry raised his hand in recognition as they began to weave their way through the tables towards Neville and Luna, all heads turning in unison as they followed the progress of the Trio and their friends across the room

Neville had remained standing and eagerly thrust out his hand as Harry reached him, a huge grin on his face.

`Harry! It's great to see you again!' He let go of Harry's hand and reached for Ron's. `You too, Ron! How've you been? And Hermione!' Hermione ignored Neville's outstretched hand and threw her arms around his neck, hugging him instead, his startled expression visible to everyone over Hermione's shoulder. Everyone laughed and Harry shrugged as he caught Neville's eye. `Hermione, mate - she hugs!' he told an abashed-looking, pink-eared Neville.

`Then I'll hug him, too,' said Ginny happily and did just that before Dean and Neville shook hands, Neville's ears an even brighter pink after Ginny released him.

Everyone greeted Luna warmly, the dreamy-eyed blonde looking rather pleased with herself, as though she was responsible for this little reunion.

`Would you like a cuppa before we head off to Hogwarts?' asked Neville, looking around at them all.

`Not for me, thanks, I'm fine,' said Harry, turning to look inquiringly at the others, all of whom also shook their heads. Harry turned back to Neville. `We all had some tea before we left the Burrow, so as long as you and Luna are finished, we may as well go.'

Neville picked up his cup and drained it, then smiled at everyone. `I'm ready!'

`I think,' said Luna, amusement evident in her voice, `the sooner we leave the better, before everyone here suffers a severe attack of Nuffle Swivellers.'

No one could prevent a look of stunned puzzlement showing on their face at this pronouncement.

Luna sighed as she said patiently, `You know, Nuffle Swivellers - they grow on the bones of your neck if you keep turning and swivelling your head too often - and no one has stopped doing just that since you lot walked in here. If they're not careful, there'll be an epidemic!'

As everyone made understanding noises to cover the fact they were repressing laughter, they all turned, smiling broadly, and headed for the door, no longer able to stifle their merriment when they saw that every head was indeed, "turning and swivelling" to follow their departure.

Neville, the last one out, pulled the door shut, still laughing.

`Sorry everyone,' he apologised, `I didn't give a thought to the effect the sudden appearance of the Trio would have on everyone in there! I was too busy thinking about how much I was looking forward to seeing you all again!'

`Don't worry, mate,' laughed Ron, `we were in the same boat! I don't think any of us ever really got used to the attention and recognition.'

As they all followed the well-remembered path that lead to Hogwarts, they spent the time talking, catching up with each other. Neville also plied the Trio with questions - the same questions everyone wanted answers to. Hermione, once again, explained that Thursday would be the day they would be able to explain to everyone.

`I'm happy to wait, then,' said Neville good-naturedly. `As for now, I'm just going to enjoy your company as well as this proverbial stroll down memory lane,' he finished, indicating Hogwarts - which was getting closer by the minute - with a wave of his hand.

When they reached the gates, it was to find them standing open between the two tall pillars, the winged boars atop each one looking, thought Hermione with a grin, almost happy. I don't remember the gates ever being left open before, she thought. Such a feeling of security was never possible when we were at school with the shadow of Voldemort looming over our lives.

Their chatter and laughter must have carried ahead of them because, before they reached the towering front doors of the castle, they were hailed by a familiar voice and turned as one to see Hagrid striding across the grounds towards them, his face shining with sheer joy at the sight of them.

Harry, Ron and Hermione turned immediately and began to walk towards the huge Keeper of the Keys, who didn't even take a small step backwards as the three of them fell against him, his huge arms encircling them all.

`What's this, then?' he asked, his voice sounding a little strange, as though he was choking. Hermione looked up, only to have a huge tear fall plop! onto her cheek, followed by another, then another - Hagrid was crying!

Hermione laughed. `It's us, Hagrid! Just us!'

Hagrid grabbed Hermione in a huge hug, lifting her feet from the ground. `Hermione! Yeh haven't changed one bit!' he exclaimed as he put her down and peered at her.

`His eyesight must be going,' muttered Ron to Harry, who looked back at Ron, lifting his eyebrows inquiringly.

Ron rolled his eyes. `Don't tell me you haven't noticed!' he exclaimed. `I reckon living in France has done something to her!'

Harry laughed, his gaze moving to Hermione who was busy dabbing at Hagrid's cheeks, wiping his tears away with her handkerchief, which was really far too small to do an effective job. `Yeah, I've noticed,' admitted Harry quietly. I've noticed every single little thing…

Hermione turned back to them, looking a little misty-eyed herself as she wrung out her handkerchief before pulling out her wand to dry it off. Ron grabbed Hagrid's huge hand with both his and was almost lifted off the ground and knocked over at the same time as Hagrid vigorously shook his hand and simultaneously patted him on the back.

`Ron! So good ter see yeh again! An' Neville? Tha' you? An' Dean Thomas? S'good ter see yer both, too!' Neville and Dean were treated to the same vigorous handshaking and backslapping as Ron while Luna and Ginny received hugs that left them breathless.

`Now, `Harry, what's goin' on?' boomed the gigantic gamekeeper, `How come Ron an' Hermione are with yeh again? Yeh finally goin' ter tell me wha' happened?'

Harry, Ron and Hermione exchanged glances before Harry spoke. `Hagrid, as you know, we've had problems, but Hermione's found a solution. We should be fine now. I can tell you everything soon.' Harry simplified the story, planning on filling in his friend and fellow professor at a later date; he didn't think any amount of magic could extend the Burrow's kitchen enough to fit Hagrid inside.

`Righ' yeh are, then,' said Hagrid happily, `I'll keep yer ter that! Now, how come yer all here? This is the last day o' term an' all the students'll be leavin' tonigh'. Wait! Yeh've come for the end-of-term feast, haven't yeh?' Hagrid laughed. `Don' blame yeh for that!'

Ron's eyes lit up. `The end-of-term feast? Harry, this is brilliant! We'll be able to stay, won't we?'

`I suppose so,' Harry said, but we'll have to let your mum know we won't be home for tea.'

`I'll do that for yeh, I've got a couple of owls to send anyway,' said Hagrid. `Now, fancy a visit to see Grawpy?'

Everyone looked at Harry who cleared his throat before speaking. `Well, erm, I'm afraid we'll have to pass on that, Hagrid - we really should see the Headmistress as soon as we can since I didn't tell her we were coming, or staying for the feast.'

Hagrid looked disappointed but answered with a smile, `Righ' yeh are, then. I'll tell `im yeh were here an' if yeh get a chance -'

`If we do, we'll come and see you straight away, Hagrid,' said Hermione brightly. Grawp was much improved since they'd first met him in their fifth year; however, he still had a few difficulties with the social niceties when he got too excited, something he always did when he saw Hermy

`Well, I'll be off then, you lot. See yer at lunch!'

Assuring him they would, they took their leave of Hagrid, who headed back to his hut with a final wave.

As they walked through the tall oaken doors into the familiar Entrance Hall of Hogwarts, they all fell silent, each of them momentarily lost in their own thoughts and memories.

There were a few students wandering up and down the marble staircase and along the corridors, but they all seemed engrossed in their own conversations or thoughts. Initially, the party of seven walked almost unnoticed as they made their way to the Headmistress's office where, Harry assured them, they'd find Professor McGonagall.

`Ginger Newt,' said Harry, at which the gargoyle leapt aside and the wall slid apart to reveal the moving, spiral staircase.

When they reached the top, the door swung open just as Harry raised his hand to take the griffin knocker and Professor McGonagall stood in the door way, smiling at them all.

`Harry! I heard from Dobby you'd brought visitors - he spotted you talking to Hagrid; he always seems to know where you are. Come in, all of you, come in!'

As the Headmistress drew up chairs for all of them and then conjured a huge, laden tea tray, word was sent to the kitchens and to all the other teachers that there were special guests for the end-of-term feast that day. Harry twisted in his chair and looked at the portrait above the door, only to find an empty frame.

Professor McGonagall, following his eyes, told him that Professor Dumbledore had gone visiting and wouldn't be back for a couple of days.

`A couple of days?' Hermione couldn't help asking, curious.

`He actually went to the Ministry at the request of the Minister.' The Headmistress sighed. `It's never a short visit to the Ministry - once he's there, they just have him going from portrait to portrait, department to department…'

Neville coughed nervously. `His advice is rather valuable, Professor,' he offered quietly. Not to mention that he's just a sheer delight to talk to, he added to himself, especially since, not surprisingly, he's the first portrait subject to retain so much of his original personality and wit.

Professor McGonagall fixed him with a steady look. `Still working at the Ministry then, Mr Longbottom? Dumbledore has mentioned you.'

Neville nodded, `Law Enforcement.'

Nodding her approval, the Professor began pouring tea. `So, Professor Potter -' at which point Ron interrupted with a spluttered, `"Professor Potter?!"' drawing a quelling look from the Headmistress before she sniffed disapprovingly and continued, `you, Miss Granger and Mr Weasley are keeping company once more?'

Harry grinned at Hermione and Ron, `You could say that, Professor,' he replied.

`About time,' she said firmly, picking up a floral-patterned plate full of biscuits and holding it out. `Ginger Newt, anyone?'

Everyone sat and chatted amiably, Ron explaining to Harry that even though he knew Harry was teaching at Hogwarts, he'd just never realised it meant he would be Professor Potter. `Just doesn't sound like you, mate - "Professor"?' and he snorted with laughter again, causing Harry to roll his eyes with amused tolerance.

`What about "Professor Granger"?' he asked Ron, throwing Hermione a warm, amused look which made her breath catch in her throat.

`Well, that's different, isn't it?' said Ron with a grin. `I mean, Hermione is the professor type - and she was the same, even when she was a student!'

Half an hour later, tea drunk and biscuits eaten, they were ushered out of the Headmistress's office. `I have to get ready for the feast,' she told them, smiling. `Why don't you show them your rooms, Harry, and I'll see you all in the Great Hall in an hour.'

Hermione, more than anyone, was eager to see Harry's room, although she didn't say so out loud, of course. Dean and Ginny said they'd try and come by later as they wanted to visit the Gryffindor common room after being given the password by Professor McGonagall who'd almost (but not quite) managed to hide her indulgent expression from them on hearing their request.

As Ginny and Dean walked away, their arms around each other, Harry gave Ron and Hermione a quizzical look.

Ron grinned and shrugged. `They reckon that's where it all began for them.'

`And they wouldn't be the only ones,' said Harry, chuckling, glancing sideways at Hermione, his expression unreadable.

As they filed into Harry's room, Luna spotted Hedwig on her perch, watching them all inscrutably. `Oh, look, there's Hedwig! I always loved your owl, Harry! Almost as much as Ronald's.' She crossed straight to the white owl and began to talk to her softly, stroking her feathers. Hedwig gave her a sharply appraising look before appearing to decide that Luna was all right, despite the aspersions she felt were cast her way by Luna's preference for Pigwidgeon (of whom Hedwig still disapproved).

`You've a lovely view of the lake,' said Hermione, leaning on the stone sill of the large window in Harry's room as she gazed out at the expanse of water, sunlight dancing across its surface; the weather had been milder than usual for this time of year and it hadn't yet frozen over.

Ron stood behind her, leaning to look past Hermione. `You can see the Quidditch pitch,' he stated approvingly as though a view of the Quidditch pitch was far preferable to one of the Black Lake. Hermione rolled her eyes, smiling, then turned to find Harry's thoughtful gaze resting on her. He smiled when she caught his eye, a subtly intimate smile that sent a tingling warmth radiating throughout her entire body, right to her fingertips. Feeling just a little flustered, she moved across to his desk, smiling at the sight of the familiar teachers' accoutrements scattered across it. She reached out, tentatively touching the black leather cover of a book, her eyes widening as they travelled from the silver embossed title, "Defence Against the Dark Arts: A Definitive Definition", down to the author's name: Harry J Potter.

She turned her head quickly to look for Harry, only to find him right behind her.

`You wrote a book? Harry, you wrote a book!'

`Don't sound so shocked,' said Harry, grinning, `I can read and write, after all.'

`Oh, I'm not shocked, I didn't mean - I know - it's just that -'

Harry couldn't help himself; he threw his head back and laughed. Hermione groaned, realising he was teasing her.

`Harry!' Hermione tried to scowl in admonishment but only ended up beaming at him, `I'm so proud of you!'

`What's up?' asked Ron, joining them.

`Hermione's in shock because I wrote a book,' he told Ron while winking at Hermione.

Ron picked up the book. `You wrote a book? This one? Wow, Harry - well done!'

`Thanks, although it's just a textbook and not exactly a bestseller.'

`Not true,' said Neville, joining them. `It's a bloody brilliant book - and it's required reading for each new trainee Auror. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it, Hermione. Don't they teach Defence Against the Dark Arts at Beauxbatons?'

Hermione took the book from Ron, eagerly opening it, only half listening to Neville.

She shook her head. `Well, sort of…but just basic theory…no one's really interested anymore.'

`Really?' asked Harry, surprised. `My classes are always full - right up to NEWTs.'

Ron snorted and caught Neville's eye; both men laughed.

`Harry, haven't you ever realised that would be because of who is teaching it and not what is being taught?' Ron asked, amused exasperation in his tone.

Harry looked surprised and shook his head at Ron. He'd truly never considered that, assuming that everyone was as interested in learning to defend themselves against the Dark Arts as he was; just because Voldemort was gone didn't mean there weren't plenty of dark wizards and witches in the world.

Ron shook his head. `You're too bloody modest, mate. And I think you'd better get that off Hermione or she'll just stand there and read the whole thing right now!'

Hermione was standing, still reading and so engrossed she hadn't taken in one word of their conversation.

Harry grasped the book at the top and gently tugged at it, Hermione reflexively tightening her grip.

Harry rolled his eyes at Ron who laughed.

`Hermione, stop, please,' said Harry, `I'll give you your own copy if you like.' Harry tugged harder at the book this time and ducked his head down to try and catch Hermione's eye.

Hermione looked up at him, a slight frown creasing her forehead as she tightened her grip on the book. `Harry, what are you doing? I'm reading!'

`Not now, you're not,' said Harry firmly, finally pulling the book from her grasp and closing it before returning it to the desk. `I'll give you a copy, I promise, but right now I think we'd better get down to the Great Hall.' No one noticed as he waved his hand behind Hermione's back in a quick, complicated gesture, closing his eyes for a second as he concentrated…

`Of course, I forgot about lunch for a moment,' said Hermione, throwing a longing glance over her shoulder at the book as they all made for the door. Neville and Luna had left a minute earlier and as they followed, Ron and Harry made sure Hermione walked out in front of them, `Just to make sure she doesn't double back,' said Ron, grinning at Harry.

`I heard that,' said Hermione over her shoulder, sniffing indignantly. `Anyone would think I have no self control when it comes to books.'

Ron and Harry exchanged a look of amused scepticism before noisily clearing their throats.

`And don't think I can't tell when you're both smirking,' came the tart rejoinder.

`I feel as though we're back at school,' whispered Ron, Harry grinning in agreement.

As they descended the marble staircase to the Entrance Hall, Hermione spotted Dean and Ginny with Neville and Luna standing by the doors to the Great Hall, waiting for them. When Ginny waved at them all, two students turned to look as they passed through the doors into the Great Hall, stopping in their tracks when they spotted Harry. Both students, third year Gryffindors, turned and headed in Harry's direction, almost running as they called out.

`Professor Potter!'

Harry halted on the bottom step, Ron next to him, Hermione taking the last step; she heard Harry sigh resignedly and thought she knew why, seeing the twin looks of avid adoration on the young witches' faces.

Skidding to a halt in front of Harry, their cheeks flushed and their eyes shining, the two witches kept glancing at each other and couldn't seem to stop giggling.

`Yes, Miss Mason, what is it?' asked Harry patiently.

`Well, I - that is, we - were just wondering if you'll be at school for the Christmas holidays as usual?

Stifling the urge to laugh, Hermione interjected quickly, `No, not this year.'

Both the girls' faces fell and it was Harry who then had to stifle a laugh.

`Well, apparently not,' he said, raising his eyebrows at Hermione.

`Definitely not,' said Ron, Harry turning with a smile to look at him as he continued, `He'll be with his family and friends this year.'

It was only then that the two students really looked at Ron and Hermione, their eyes growing huge in their faces.

`Oh, my!' whispered the witch Harry had addressed as "Miss Mason".

`It's them!' exclaimed her friend, her voice awed.

They both turned on their heels and ran, leaving Harry, Ron and Hermione chuckling as they once more headed for the Great Hall, stopping briefly at the doors while Hermione explained to a curious Dean, Ginny, Luna and Neville what had just happened. Harry groaned at her description of the "smitten students" who obviously had a crush on their Professor.

`It appears as though you're a rather sexy professor, Harry!' said Ginny, laughing at Harry's discomfiture, which only increased when Hermione caught his eye, a half smile and arched eyebrow making it clear she agreed with Ginny's comment. Harry found himself torn between embarrassment and pleasure.

Apparently Miss Mason and her friend had told everyone they passed that they'd just seen the Trio and those people had in turn told others, because by the time Harry led his friends into the Great Hall, the room was awash with sibilant whispers, turning heads and craning necks.

`They'll want to watch out for those Nuffler Snufflers,' said Ron, acutely aware of hundreds of pairs of eyes scrutinising him.

`Nuffle Swivellers,' Luna corrected him quietly from behind.

A deep silence followed in their wake as they moved up the aisle between the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables, so that by the time they reached the teachers' table, you could've heard a pin drop.

Harry led them off to the left and around the end of the table to their seats, extra places having been set for them. Professor McGonagall had a small, restrained smile in place as she watched them. Once they were seated, she stood up and cleared her throat.

`At least there's no need to ask for silence today,' she said, her eyes twinkling. `As you can see, we have some guests with us today, all former students of Hogwarts and I don't doubt their names are known to you all. Commencing from the far end of the table we have Miss Luna Lovegood, Mr Neville Longbottom, Mrs Ginny Weasley Thomas and Mr Dean Thomas.'

There was an uprising of warm applause which, after a mere half minute, dropped off very suddenly in anticipation of the introductions yet to come.

Not one student had looked at their Headmistress while she'd addressed them - they couldn't take their eyes off Harry, Ron and Hermione who kept looking from the cloud strewn ceiling to Professor McGonagall to each other to avoid the sea of curious eyes gazing at them with an unsettling mixture of curiosity, zeal and awe.

Slowly, heads began to turn to look at Professor McGonagall, wondering why the introductions had ceased.

Once she felt she had the attention of the majority of the students, the Professor spoke again, `You know, of course, that it's rude to stare,' she said tartly although many swore they could see a mischievous glint in her eye. `Now, to continue; naturally, you all know our own Professor Potter and our last two guests today are his friends and former schoolmates, Mr Ronald Weasley and Miss Hermione Granger, whom I'm also sure you've heard of previously.' To her credit, the Professor kept the irony in her voice to a minimum.

There was a couple of seconds of awestruck silence at this obvious understatement and then someone at the back of the Great Hall let out a long drawn out whistle; it contained such sincere amazement in every trembling note that it seemed to be the signal for everyone else to start clapping, cheering, whistling and calling out.

`Spare me,' whispered Harry feelingly as he gave Hermione an agonised look. Ron, on his other side, elbowed him, asking him if this was how he was greeted every time he came into the hall.

Harry laughed. `Thank Merlin, no!' he exclaimed. `I had them all bluffed until now - this is all the fault of you two!'

When Professor McGonagall finally brought the students back under control, she made her usual end of term speech before calling for the school song to be sung, feeling the occasion called for such a distinction.

Harry, Hermione and Ron - as well as Ginny, Dean, Neville and Luna - all joined in with gusto, needing only occasionally to refer to the words that appeared in the air in gold, flowing writing. As the last word was sung by the last student to finish, the Headmistress clapped her hands and cried out, `Time to eat!' and as always, a marvellous feast made its appearance which immediately brought silence with it as everyone became far too busy with eating to talk.

However, when the feast was finished, not one of the students seemed to be interested in leaving the hall, apparently too engrossed in watching the conversing teachers and guests as they lingered after the meal. Professor McGonagall commented to Harry, Ron and Hermione with an amused tone that perhaps they'd all better go or the students would simply sit at their house tables until they fell asleep, leaving the Hogwarts Express to depart Hogsmeade without a single passenger…

Hagrid accompanied them when, not long afterwards, they made their way to the Headmistress's office; it was here that Neville and Luna would Floo to their respective homes and everyone else back to the Burrow.

`I guess I'll see yeh after Christmas then, Harry?' asked Hagrid, `An' the rest of yeh make sure yer come back and visit again, won' yeh?'

After assurances of future visits, profuse thanks to Professor McGonagall for letting them join the end-of-term feast and hugs for Hagrid, they all departed, Harry last, giving Hagrid a wave and smile as he stepped into the green flames.

Back at the Burrow, Molly was eagerly waiting to hear all the details of their visit to Hogwarts and later, in spite of their protests that they weren't in the least bit hungry, Molly still insisted on cooking a chicken and ham pie and boiling some potatoes and carrots for tea. They were all very thankful she didn't insist on them eating any pudding.

Shortly afterwards, Dean and Ginny headed upstairs for bed, calling out good night to everyone in sleepy voices.

`I think I'll go as well,' said Ron, yawning hugely. `All that food - I think I'm full! I need to sleep it off!'

`You? Full?' scoffed Hermione, `I don't believe it!'

Ron gave her a mock-injured look and Hermione laughed. `You have to admit, Ron, that it's not very often we hear the words "I'm full" from you!'

Ron grinned back at them as he headed for the stairs. `Yeah, well I am - and I'm going to bed. Night you two!'

`What now?' asked Harry, smiling at Hermione who was watching Ron's retreating back. `Some tea?'

Hermione shook her head. `I honestly don't think I could fit in even so much as a mouthful of tea after that dinner! I might just stay up and read a little.' Hermione's eyes widened as she remembered something. `Harry! You forgot my book!' she exclaimed.

Harry waggled his eyebrows at her, grinning. `Nope. I didn't.'

Hermione looked at him, confused.

`It's in your room, on your bed.'

`But how? I didn't see you with a copy -'

`I sent it to you before we left my office,' Harry broke in. `It's on your bed, believe me.'

Hermione stared at him. `You sent it? You mean - it's just there? On my bed? Now?' she asked, a tinge of awe in her voice. Harry nodded and Hermione smiled in amazement. `Incredible, I still can't quite get used to that,' she murmured.

Harry shrugged, looking uncomfortable. `Not so hard,' he mumbled, acutely aware of the look of astonished admiration in Hermione's eyes. `Come on, let's go sit in front of the fire for a few minutes - it's nearly out anyway and then you can go and read to your heart's content.'

Hermione sat down on the couch in her habitual position with her legs curled under her, her left elbow resting on the end of the sofa, chin in hand; Harry extended his arms above his head as he yawned, then put his hands behind his head as he stretched his legs out in front of him, crossing them at the ankles. They both stared into the dying fire, the soft hiss and crackle of wood the only sound in the room.

`You're thinking about tomorrow, aren't you?' asked Harry gently after a couple of minutes of warm, comfortable silence.

Hermione nodded, but said nothing, her free hand resting in her lap, fiddling with a seam in her jeans. `Do you think we should've worn robes to Hogwarts today?' she asked.

`What?' Harry turned to stare at her, watching as she shrugged. She'd released her hair from the loose bun she'd worn that day so that it tumbled down over her shoulders, almost to her lap; he found his fingers twitching with a sudden longing to touch it.

Drawing his feet in, Harry slid along the sofa, moving closer to Hermione, reaching out to lift her free hand from her lap and holding it, absentmindedly rubbing his thumb backwards and forwards across the back of it as he gazed into the crackling fire, oblivious to the effect his action was having on Hermione.

`You're not really worried about whether or not we wore robes to Hogwarts, Hermione. I know I've managed to keep tomorrow at the back of my mind during today - and Ron, too, I'm sure -'

Hermione turned her head slightly to look at him, the reflection of the flames dancing in her eyes. `You organised this trip today to keep us all distracted, didn't you? I just realised…'

Harry's mouth lifted on one side in a rueful grin. `Guilty,' he said. `But it did help, didn't it?'

Hermione's mouth slowly curved into a smile and she nodded. She squeezed his hand. `It did, thank you. But now -'

`Now,' interrupted Harry, `you need to get some sleep. We need to get some sleep. Big day tomorrow.'

Hermione nodded again but didn't move, her eyes turning back to the fire. She felt reluctant to move away from the warmth of the fire or from the comfort of being curled up on the lounge in the quiet darkness of the house… or from Harry…

`Harry…'

`Sshh.'

Then she became aware of her hand being lifted and she turned startled eyes to watch as Harry brought it to his lips, firstly kissing the soft skin on the back of her hand, holding her gaze as he turned it over, bringing it to his lips once more and pressing them against the centre of her palm. The sensual gesture had her heart pounding so fast she could hardly breathe as she stared into the green depths of those eyes she knew so well…

Then he was gathering her into his arms, her feet slipping to the floor as he wrapped his arms around her, holding her close, his lips resting against her temple.

`It will be fine, Hermione,' my love, `I have complete faith in you, your ability and your knowledge - you are an amazing witch,' and a wonderful, beautiful woman, `with exceptional talents and power and that is why I know it will be fine,' and then, I will tell you something I've never had the chance to say before…

Hermione nodded against his chest, unable to speak, grateful for his closeness, his confidence, his words and his touch.

They remained like that for a few more minutes but the fire had died down and no longer shed much warmth; they reluctantly rose and went up to their rooms, Hermione smiling at the sight of the book on her bed. She picked it up, intending to put it on the bedside table, but instead found herself standing there and looking at it, still smiling. She ran her hand over the front cover, thinking about Harry. Then as her fingers found the edge, she lifted it. Her breath caught in her throat and a delicious warmth spread through her as she read the words written inside: To my one and only Hermione - Yours, Harry.

Author's Note

Chapter Six arrives by Express Owl on Monday! Here's a little preview…

When the sun finally deigned to rise, it wasn't until after the clock had chimed eight, the miniature version of Hagrid appearing on his platform with a sprightly step to happily clash his cymbals, drawing disgruntled glares which caused his smile to falter as he quickly retreated.

As though this was a signal of some sort, Ginny suddenly leapt from her seat as if electrified, her voice high-pitched and tight.

`It's been nine hours! Why haven't we heard from them? Where are they? Is there something wrong? What can we do? I feel so helpless!'

Molly looked once more at the family grandfather clock and on seeing Ron's hand finally stopped at "dreadful danger" she began to cry, tears running down her cheeks, sobs shaking her shoulders while Arthur did his best to comfort her. They need help! he thought desperately, wishing above all else that he knew where they were


-->