Unofficial Portkey Archive

Reunion by JanieB
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Reunion

JanieB

Author's Note

It's really interesting to read your various theories, dear readers! Wonder what you'll think after this chapter…which is a lovely, fluffy chapter to keep you warm during the cold chapters ahead…

PS Since I'm uploading this without the benefit of Kirsti-the-Super-Beta's final, final revision, if there are any typos, they're mine…and you can let me know about them because I'm still able to read reviews during treatment for Stress-Induced-Hysteria (caused by OCD over typos, etc)

REUNION

By JanieB

CHAPTER THREE

The Best Ever Sunday Lunch at the Burrow

As snow swirled in endless, dizzying spirals outside, the temporarily enlarged kitchen of the Burrow was filled to the brim with warmth and laughter. Such a day, such a celebration, hadn't been had for a long time and everyone present seemed to be revelling gloriously in the atmosphere created by the delicious and plentiful food and the joyous mood of the company. Molly appeared to have been inspired when it came to the meal and it was agreed unanimously by all present that she had outdone herself - which was saying something.

Harry and Hermione had been pleased to finally meet Bill and Fleur's daughters, although they felt as though they'd watched them grow up courtesy of the photographs they'd received, thanks to Molly's habit of owling them both over the years. Harry also commented quietly to Hermione that Bill was looking much better these days, alluding to the ghastly injuries inflicted by Fenrir Greyback which, with treatment, had improved greatly over the years.

The petite twins had taken immediately to Hermione and she to them, although they had shown a little shyness with Harry initially, despite having seen photographs of him many times. When Aimee had asked hesitantly what she should call him, he'd smiled and shrugged as he told her, `Just "Harry", I suppose.' Angelique, not to be outdone by her sister, had climbed onto his knee and giggled as she said, `Just Harry - that eez a nice name, I like it!' To Harry's consternation, Aimee quickly claimed his other knee and he found himself beset by the incessantly chattering and giggling twins; they demanded his attention so completely he was totally unaware of Hermione watching him, her soft brown gaze filled with the profound tenderness only a woman can feel at the sight of the man she loves man interacting with young children. Eventually, laughing heartily, Bill took pity on him and came to his rescue, shooing the girls off to play elsewhere.

When Molly announced lunch was ready, everyone seated themselves as they pleased, moving quickly and hungrily to the table, although naturally no one took Arthur's spot at the head of the table or Molly's to his right. So, with Arthur and Molly in their customary spots, the bubbly, beautiful twins sat in the two seats beside their grandmother, Fleur sitting next to them; Bill, of course, sat beside his wife. Next were Cordelia and Charlie with Penelope last, while Percy took the seat at the end of the table to be next to Penelope. Ron was seated on his father's left, Hermione next to him and Harry beside her; Hermione's parents had taken the next two seats, with Ginny sitting next to Hermione's dad and Dean between her and Fred. This left George in the last seat next to Percy, something he didn't appear overly pleased about. He managed, however, to remember his manners and was as always, for his mother's sake, coolly polite with his older brother.

As course after course was eagerly and hungrily devoured, the mood around the table mellowed; George even found himself offering Percy a "family discount" if he should happen to visit one of their stores. Percy, mindful of what a step forward this was, accepted graciously and assured his younger brother he and Penelope would very soon venture into the Diagon Alley outlet of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.

By the time dessert was served, it was as though the years had rolled back and there'd been no dissension, no separation…

Dessert Arrives - Without Custard!

`Oh, Mum!' Ron moaned ecstatically, eyeing the dessert dishes as they floated across the room at his mother's direction. They landed gently, arranging themselves down the middle of the table and Molly smiled indulgently as she ordered, `Eat up and enjoy, everyone!'

Hermione sat up straight in her chair, her hands rubbing her stomach and grimacing as though in pain. `I couldn't possibly eat another bite, Mrs Weasley!' she complained.

`Don't worry, Hermione, I'll eat your share,' Ron told her happily, making everyone laugh.

`Harry, dear, there's warm treacle tart - oh, I see you've found it!' said Molly with a rather smug smile.

`Oh yes, Mrs Weasley - I don't even care about the rest, but I'm not going to miss having some of this!' replied Harry with a grin.

Hermione's mum laughed lightly as she watched Harry transfer a huge slice of treacle tart to his plate.

`Oh, Harry, how I wish I could fit some of that in,' she groaned softly, eyeing the tart longingly.

`Don't worry dear,' her husband consoled her, `if Harry doesn't demolish the lot we may be able to take a piece with us.' He look inquiringly at Molly, wearing what he hoped was a winning smile.

`Of course, of course!' she answered happily. `I'll give you the recipe, too, if you'd like it dear.' She looked inquiringly at Hermione's mum.

`Well, I'd love that, but I doubt it will taste half as good as this!'

`Oy! Mum!' interrupted Fred from the other end of the table. `Where's the custard?'

`Oh my! I forgot!' cried Molly, jumping to her feet and looking agitated.

`Molly!' said Arthur sternly, `Fred's life will not be in tatters if he doesn't have custard right this instant. You sit down and relax, you've done enough!' He gave his son a stern look as he took his wife's hand and pulled her back into her seat. As he finished speaking he lifted her hand and dropped a light kiss on the back of it, smiling at her flustered countenance.

`Dad, I reckon that -' began Fred.

`Fred, my son, shut it,' said his father firmly, although there was a twinkle in his eye even as he threw his son a look of admonishment.

Nearly everyone had to smother outbursts of giggles at the sight of Fred's face which, when he realised he wasn't going to win this one, became a highly exaggerated mask of woe.

`No custard?' he gasped.

`Not a drop,' said his father resolutely, quashing a smile.

`Get over it, Fred!' cried Ginny, laughing so hard there were tears rolling down her face. She was enjoying seeing her cheeky brother get a rare serving of comeuppance.

`What if,' said Fred in a sepulchral voice, certain his mother couldn't say no to anyone else, `others desire custard?'

`Fat chance now,' muttered Ron, smirking at Harry and Hermione in turn, both of whom chuckled at this remark.

`Oncle Fred,' piped up Aimee, `no one eez asking for the custard, yes?'

`No one,' echoed Angelique, nodding decidedly.

`And so, you will not be having any custard I think, dear Frederick?' put in Fleur, trying valiantly not to laugh.

Fred sighed as loudly as he could, dramatically raising the back of his hand to his forehead while beside him, his twin rolled his eyes in amused disgust. `It doesn't look like it,' he said, `but despite being deprived of my custard, I will endeavour to enjoy my dessert.'

`Of course you will, you silly sod,' remarked George dryly.

Impressive inroads were made into the various dessert dishes despite everyone's complaints about being too full. Once the table was cleared and the dishes were making soft, chinking noises as they washed themselves, Arthur stood and lifted his goblet, drawing all eyes to him.

`A toast is in order, I feel,' he said, grinning around the table at everyone. `So - here's to what promises to be the best Christmas yet, here's to the three people that have made it possible and here's to everyone being together again!'

Enthusiastic cries of, `hear, hear!' echoed around the room as everyone lifted their goblets.

As he sat down, Arthur looked expectantly from Ron, to Hermione then Harry who exchanged glances amongst themselves before Harry whispered, `I'll say something, shall I?'

`Better you than me, mate,' replied Ron, grinning, `I'm not much good at the speech stuff.'

`Hermione?'

Hermione shook her head as she smiled at Harry. `All yours,' she said firmly.

Harry gave her a lopsided grin that made her heart skip a beat before standing up.

He looked silently around the table at each of them. `All together again,' he said quietly. `I wasn't sure this day would come but - well, it has. And I can't tell you how marvellous it is to see you all again, but especially,' he looked down at Hermione, then Ron, `to see Hermione and Ron again.' Hermione reached up and took Harry's hand, giving it a squeeze as Ron put his arm across her shoulders; they all smiled at each other and Hermione once more felt tears prickling at the back of her eyes.

Then Molly sniffed, trying not to cry, using her apron to dab at her eyes. Harry, Ron and Hermione chuckled and Molly gave them a wavering smile. `It's just so wonderful to see you all together again!' she explained.

`And I'd just like to say thank you for that brilliant lunch, too, Mrs Weasley,' said Harry. `You even surpassed the feasts at Hogwarts!'

Looking happily flustered at this compliment, Molly rose and said she needed to go and supervise the rest of the cleaning up and putting away, still dabbing at her eyes as she headed into the kitchen.

`Well,' said Harry, `I'd like to take a walk - will you come?' he asked, looking at Ron and Hermione who spoke simultaneously. `'Course mate,' said Ron as Hermione said, `Of course we will.'

The Trio rugged up in relative silence, everyone watching them while smiling quickly if they happened to catch their eye. As Ron pulled the back door shut behind them, an excited babble broke out around the table.

Standing just outside the door, Harry, Ron and Hermione grinned at each other as the muffled sound of voices reached them.

`Guess what they're talking about?' muttered Ron, grinning and waggling his eyebrows.

Hermione stepped between them, hooking an arm through each of theirs as she looked up at them.

`Come on, let's walk and talk, boys.'

`Boys? Boys?' cried Ron, trying to sound put out, stopping suddenly and looking down at Hermione in mock indignation.

Hermione gave him what tried hard to pass as a stern look as she tugged on his arm. `You'll always be "my boys" to me regardless of how old you are,' she said lightly, and Ron laughed.

`All right, my girl, let's walk and talk,' he shot back facetiously.

Harry groaned, shaking his head as he murmured under his breath, `Some things never change!'

Ron and Hermione laughed at Harry and as the three friends walked away from the sounds of the curious crowd in the kitchen behind them, their feet crunching in the fresh snow; each of them felt the happiest they'd been for five years.

Harry's Up First

Harry woke first the next morning, while it was still dark outside. He was in what had once been Percy's room, on the second floor. Aside from Ginny and Dean, he, Ron and Hermione were the only ones who had stayed overnight, everyone else either Flooing or Disapparating home.

Thankful he'd put a heating charm on the room before going to sleep, Harry pushed himself up, swinging his legs over the side of the bed, a huge yawn overtaking him as he sat, stretching his arms above his head. Reaching for his glasses, he glanced at his watch; it was five a.m. He'd become accustomed to arising early during his years at Hogwarts, a tray with a pot of tea always at the ready, left by the devoted Dobby.

Well, he thought deprecatingly, no Dobby here! I'll have to look after myself this week. Have to remember to tell Dobby how much I appreciate him when I get back to Hogwarts…

Exchanging his pyjamas for jeans and a thick, black jumper, Harry pulled on some warm socks and his trainers and walked out onto the landing, shivering slightly as he came into contact with the cooler air. He glanced across at the door to Fred and George's old room where Hermione was sleeping and smiled as he remembered the previous day. Hermione was nothing if not thorough, he thought, and yesterday afternoon when the three of them had gone for their walk, she'd given them the details of what they would need to do to "get back to where we belong - together".

`I was actually going to arrange all this for after the Ball, but I think since fate has brought us together now, we should go ahead next Wednesday, there's a full moon then. It's earlier than I'd planned, but I'm sure we can do it,' Hermione told them, and they didn't argue when she went on to explain that they would need to "rehearse" and what that entailed.

The whole discourse had taken some time and their teeth were chattering with cold by the time Hermione had finished. Both Ron and Harry found themselves infected by Hermione's confidence that they would be successful and they'd all returned to the Burrow with a bounce in their step.

On reaching the house, they found only Hermione's parents, Ginny, Dean, Fred and George still there, the goodbyes and best wishes of the others passed on to them with assurances they would be in touch. Hermione's parents took their leave shortly afterwards, Hermione promising she'd be in touch in the next day or so as she hugged them. Fred and George stayed for the supper of leftovers (rather delicious leftovers at that - including custard with dessert to Fred's great delight), unabashedly admitting that they never ate as well at home as they did at the Burrow. Once the twins had departed with full tummies, Arthur and Molly had said goodnight and left Ginny, Dean, Harry, Ron and Hermione clustered around the fire in the small living room off the kitchen. Ginny and Dean shared one of the large, old, rather frayed but very comfortable armchairs, Ginny on Dean's lap, while Hermione curled up in the other; Ron and Harry sat on the sofa between them, their legs stretched out to the warmth of the fire. There was a wonderfully comfortable air of contentment about the gathering, Ginny repeating her father's words that this was definitely the best Christmas yet.

Ron smiled at his sister in the chair to his left. `You have no idea,' he said, a look of serene satisfaction on his face.

`Ditto,' said Harry, turning to look at Hermione who was sitting to his right; he could see most of her face because she had her head turned towards him, resting against the back of the arm chair. As she gazed into the fire, the soft, yellow light of the flames danced merrily across her face.

Without moving her head, Hermione lifted her eyes from the fire to look at Harry. He thought she looked tired, but contented and he smiled tenderly at her; she was, after all, the one who had given them the promise of a future in which the three of them could be together again.

`Thank you,' he said quietly, feeling his heartstrings tugged by the sight of a solitary tear forming in the corner of her eye before slowly making its way down her cheek, even though she was smiling. Harry stretched out his right hand, palm up, towards her and Hermione, after a quick glance down, placed her hand in his, loving the feel of his warm, strong fingers curling around hers.

Ginny, Dean and Ron looked on, a little surprised, and yet not surprised. Ginny stood up wordlessly, jerking her head at Ron who frowned at her. She lifted her hand in the universal "come here" gesture.

It took a few seconds, but it sank in and Ron, after a last glance at Harry and Hermione, pushed himself upright and quietly padded from the room behind Ginny and Dean.

Harry and Hermione barely registered the departure of their companions and their softly spoken "good nights", returning them absentmindedly.

Hermione, her cheeks warmed by more than the fire, looked down at their clasped hands.

`It took so long to find it - the solution,' she whispered, `I began to think I'd never manage it. That we'd never be able to see each other again.'

`But you did it,' said Harry, `and I, for one, am not surprised Hermione; if anyone could get to the bottom of it, it's you.'

Hermione laughed, lifting her gaze to meet Harry's. `I wasn't going to let him win,' she said quietly, but fiercely, `no matter how long it took.'

`I knew he wouldn't,' said Harry simply as he relaxed his hand so that he held her open hand in his and began brushing his thumb gently across her palm.

Hermione steeled herself against the shivers Harry's caress sent through her whole body, closing her eyes in order to concentrate. Harry's being nice…Harry's being sweet and gentle…Harry's being Harry...

`Hermione?'

The sound of her name, to her ears, was like an endearment falling from his lips and she found it hard to tighten her resolve to wait until afterwards before…Before what? she wondered. Before feeling certain enough about the future to begin things with Harry, that's what. And it is just the beginning and a beginning is a delicate time…where had she read that? She couldn't remember, but she wanted to tread carefully, just in case. No need to rush, not now

`Mmmmm?' she managed, her eyes still closed.

Harry looked across at her - her face so composed despite her inner turmoil, the suggestion of a smile about her lips, her eyes closed. What should he say? He couldn't say what he'd like to - he was sure she'd just stare at him as though he was quite mad before turning and leaving, something he couldn't risk her doing ever again, not in any form.

Harry spoke, his voice deep and sombre. `I don't want there to ever be a long time between us seeing each other, and Ron, ever again. Not for any reason.'

Hermione opened her eyes then and found Harry's intense green gaze fixed on her. `We'll be able to see each other whenever we want, Harry, I promise. We've found each other again and after this week, we won't ever lose each other again. Not now.' Her voice held steely determination.

`I know we won't,' said Harry, keeping his voice low, his eyes boring into hers. `I don't intend ever letting you go again.'

And that little sentiment, spoken by him, did indescribable things to her heart-rate. Oh, Harry! If you only knew how much that means to me…

`Come on,' she said a little breathlessly, withdrawing her hand from Harry's as she stood up, stretching to hide her face and mask the effect he had on her, `let's go to bed - I'm really tired.'

As he followed her up the stairs to the second floor landing, Harry took this golden opportunity, presented unexpectedly, to let his eyes wander over Hermione from head to foot and back again without fear of being caught. An unseen grin lit up his face at the irony of her turn of phrase. "Let's go to bed"…oh Hermione, how I wish we could! How I wish we could

TO BE CONTINUED…

Author's Note

Here's a little excerpt from Chapter Four just for fun!

`Ronald!' cried Luna happily, waving. `How are you?'

`Oh, just bloody great,' said Ron sarcastically. `My arse is drenched and bloody sore, I think I've cracked my tailbone and I've just lost my dignity in front of - well, in front of people…' he finished lamely, eyeing Luna's glaring polar bear hat with trepidation, sure that it had just snarled at him; it brought back vivid memories of the lion's head hat she'd worn at Hogwarts.

See you Friday sometime! xoxoxo


-->