Unofficial Portkey Archive

Reunion by JanieB
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Reunion

JanieB

Author's Note

Hi!! Remember me?? I'm back!! *sheepish grin* I am so very sorry this has taken so long - however, I won't bore you with the reasons why (just take my word for it, they're excellent ones!). I've had a "mega-fiddle" with this chapter, and as a consequence, it's grown - but I've left it as one, long (warm and fuzzy) chapter rather than split it into two…I'm sure you won't mind!

Just before you immerse yourself in the words below, I'd like to say heartfelt thanks as always to my cherished cyber-friend and beta, the wonderful Kirsti (KirstiR here at Portkey) - oceans of hugs dear! xoxoxo

REUNION

By JanieB

CHAPTER TWELVE

Morning Has Broken…

Harry lay with his eyes closed, the smile on his face one of pure happiness. He wasn't sure which was greater: the rapturous joy in his heart or the lingering ecstasy that still pervaded his whole body. He was lying on his side, his arms wrapped around the warm, soft body of the woman he loved. As he slowly opened his eyes, Harry's smile became wider at the sight of Hermione's sleeping countenance in the soft, pre-dawn light. She was facing him, one hand resting on his chest, the other under her cheek; their legs were entwined, their bodies drawn as close as possible...

He wasn't sure how long he remained like that, just looking at her, experiencing a surge of almost primeval triumph knowing she was his…and he was hers.

As the first rays of the sun stole slowly across the window sill, he whispered, `I love you.'

`I love you, too,' she whispered back.

`I didn't know you were awake,' he exclaimed softly, surprised and delighted.

Hermione opened her eyes and looked at him, a captivating smile of joy lifting the corners of her mouth.

`Only just now, but I could feel you looking at me.'

`Tell me again,' Harry said.

She knew exactly what he meant.

`I love you, Harry. More than you'll ever know.'

Harry closed his eyes for a second, a reflexive response to the wave of emotion that swept through him at hearing words he'd so rarely heard during his life; they were like the rarest and most precious of gems. Then as he looked at her once more his serious expression did nothing to diminish the infinite tenderness in his eyes.

`For five years I've dreamt of hearing you say that, Hermione.'

`Now you have,' she said softly, as she slid her hand up his chest and around his neck, her fingers running sensuously through his hair before trailing back down to caress his morning-rough cheek.

Harry turned his face so that his lips met the velvety warmth of her palm, then brought his hand up slowly to hold hers, relishing the journey over the silky skin of her back and shoulder. As his fingers enclosed hers, he pressed his lips against the centre of her hand, then gazed at her through the messy black locks strewn across his forehead.

`I love you, Hermione. You are everything to me.'

Tears glistened on Hermione's eyelashes; she found she couldn't speak - so she kissed him, a light, exquisitely tender kiss, feeling Harry's hand tightening around hers in response. Then he drew her hard against him, using his arm that was under and wrapped around her as well as his leg, which was lying across both of hers. He returned the kiss, at first just as tenderly, but it quickly became more urgent and demanding. Hermione moved instinctively against him, eliciting a low groan from Harry, who drew back slightly, his breathing uneven and rapid.

`Hermione -'

`Yes, Harry?'

Harry stared into the beautiful brown eyes so close to his and the expression in them seemed to wipe his entire vocabulary from his mind in a single moment.

`Harry?'

He still couldn't speak, so he kissed her again, rolling onto his back and pulling Hermione with him so that she was lying on top of him. Her long, dishevelled curls cascaded around their faces as she smiled down at him.

`Shouldn't we think about you getting back to your room so we don't upset anyone?' asked Hermione, amused.

`I'll be the one upset if I have to go now,' grinned Harry, his eyebrows moving up and down suggestively.

`Then I guess you'll have to stay just a little longer,' said Hermione as she wriggled invitingly, making Harry groan appreciatively.

`You like that?' she asked mischievously, delighting in this new, deeply intimate aspect of their lives.

`You could do anything and I'd like it, Hermione,' Harry managed gruffly.

`I'll remember that,' said Hermione as she lowered her head to kiss him once more.

*

The little clock-Hagrid stood ready with his cymbals, gazing at the happy chaos below him; it was Christmas Eve breakfast at the Burrow. Molly was in her element and it showed in the happy, indulgent smile that hadn't left her face since she'd gotten up that morning, humming Christmas carols while she cooked. Arthur was trying hard not to look as though he'd rather have just ten minutes to himself to read quietly in the corner with his tea and toast, while Ron looked as though he was missing something and wasn't trying at all hard to hide it. The something he was missing? Luna, of course… He'd seen her home the previous night and they'd shared their first kiss…and their second…and third… He now wished he'd asked her to breakfast, but knew she wanted to spend some time with her dad. She'd mentioned that perhaps her dad would like to have him come for lunch and he was now on tenterhooks, waiting for her to owl or Floo with an invitation.

`Pixies in your pants?' inquired Ginny archly, although her gaze was amused as it rested on Ron.

`Freshly caught Cornish ones, I'd say,' commented Dean, Harry and Hermione joining him in laughing at the reminder of their second year Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Ron's thoughts, however, were very obviously elsewhere and after giving them a distracted smile, he glanced firstly at the clock then the fireplace, just as he'd been doing since he'd sat down.

`Pixies in his pants?' scoffed George.

`More like Luna's in his orbit!' added Fred with a smirk.

When the flames in the living room fireplace turned green just after Fred spoke, and a definitely feminine voice could be calling out, Ron nearly fell flat on his face in his hurry to get there.

`Oncle Ron?'

`Aimee?' Ron managed a smile for his niece, despite his disappointment she wasn't Luna.

`Angelique, oncle! Here is Aimee! Can you not tell? And why are you panting? 'Ave you been running?'

There was a lot of girlish giggling issuing from the fireplace and as Bill and Fleur came to stand each side of Ron - all three of them bent over to see into the green flames - they grinned at him and gave him a sort of "never mind" pat on the back before he returned to the table, leaving them to talk with their daughters.

As Ron returned to the kitchen and resumed his seat, Ginny asked brightly, `So, what's the agenda for today? I mean, Dean and I are going to his parents' for lunch so we can tell them about the baby -' she patted her stomach, smiling, `- but what about getting to the Ministry this evening? When do we have to leave? How do we leave?'

Harry cleared his throat in an overly dramatic manner. `I can answer that!' he announced grandly.

`Not a Portkey?' asked Ginny with obvious trepidation.

Harry shook his head, grinning.

Bill and Fleur returned to the table at that moment, Fleur turning to Ron and saying nonchalantly, `Zair is someone 'oo wishes to speak wiz you, Ron - she Flooed ze instant we said goodbye to ze girls.'

Ron dropped his knife and fork - left his breakfast! - and dashed from the kitchen to the living room in record time.

`So,' said Ginny, rolling her eyes good-naturedly at her brother's antics, `not a Portkey, then what?'

Harry winked at her and popped his egg and sausage-laden fork into his mouth.

`Harry!' cried Ginny accusingly, `you're teasing!'

`Shame on you, Harry!' said Fred sombrely.

`We have a golden rule,' said George, equally sombre, `that we never tease our younger sister.'

Everyone around the table chuckled, a strangled `Codswallop!' coming from Ginny.

`That's right,' agreed Fred, nodding sagely. `Never tease your younger - and in this case, only - sister. Just not cricket!'

When a puzzled Molly asked, `What have crickets got to do with this?' the chuckles became full blown laughter, although Ginny still managed to glare at her twin brothers despite giggling.

`It's just a saying, Mum!' gurgled Fred.

`A Muggle expression!' gasped George, laughing at his parents' expressions.

Molly's expression remained puzzled, although Arthur's ears pricked up at hearing the word, "Muggle". He leant towards his wife and whispered, `Don't worry, dear, I'll investigate at work - I'm sure I can find out what they mean.'

`What a cauldron full of absolute -' began Ginny, biting off the rest of her sentence and shaking her head ruefully at her twin brothers' antics.

`You know they're kidding, honey,' said Dean soothingly as he put his arm around her shoulders and hugged her.

`I know,' retorted Ginny, then sighed, `but when you work with them, it can get a bit wearing sometimes.'

`Enough you two! You shouldn't be upsetting the mother-to-be!' said Bill loudly and sternly. Ginny smiled at him; Bill had always held a special place in her heart.

Fred and George were immediately contrite, Fred drawing his wand and waving it theatrically to produce a large, fragrant bouquet of Pixie's Pansies, their magical creamy white petals and soft yellow centres spotted with dew; they floated daintily towards Ginny and as she held out her hands to take them, she rolled her eyes and then chuckled.

`Apology accepted, you ratbag uncles-to-be!' she said as she buried her nose in the beautiful blooms.

`"Ratbags"?' spluttered the twins indignantly, but before they could come up with a riposte, Ron rejoined them and sat down to continue his now almost stone-cold breakfast with a huge, dreamy grin on his face.

`Oh ho!' cried George, elbowing his brother. `Ickle Ronnie-kins has gone all mushy and gooey!'

`And loving it!' retorted Ron gleefully around a mouthful of cold sausage. `Luna's invited me over for lunch today.'

`Excellent, son. Now, can we get back to Harry?' said Arthur, sounding a little exasperated at the verbal fun-and-games of his offspring.

`Oh, yes! Harry!' cried Ginny, looking across at Harry. `So how are we getting to the ball tonight?'

Harry sat silently, waiting for everyone's undivided attention. It didn't take long, and once all eyes were on him, he slowly unrolled the parchment he'd received from the Minister of Magic the previous day whilst at the Grangers'.

As the air thickened with expectancy, a slow smile lifted the corners of Harry's mouth.

`Harry, mate, come on!' urged Fred.

Harry laughed. `All right! How about this? The Minister for Magic has kindly requested that we three accept his offer of the use of the Ministry's newly acquired motor vehicles to transport us, together with anyone else we choose, to the Ministry of Magic's Annual Yule Ball.'

Ginny squealed with sheer delight before joining everyone else in voicing their approval of the Minister's offer.

`Bloody brilliant!' cried Fred a number of times, which seemed to sum it up.

`Have you told them how many of us there'll be?' asked George.

Harry nodded. `I think I got it right. With all of us here, plus Percy and Penelope and Luna and her dad, it'll be fifteen. Your mum and dad are making their own way now, aren't they Dean?' - Dean nodded and Harry continued, `I'm not sure if we'll fit in one car or whether we'll need two, they haven't said.'

`Dad, do you know if they're holding the ball at the Ministry, as usual?' asked Bill over the cheerful hubbub.

`They're not, actually,' he began, looking across the table and catching Harry's eye.

`Why not?' asked Harry, frowning inquisitively.

Arthur looked a little uncomfortable. `Erm, special circumstances I believe.'

`Ha!' said Ginny knowingly. `Special circumstances, my -'

`Foot!' Dean interjected.

Ginny gave him a look of mock-indignation. `Just what I was going to say!'

`I should hope so,' said Bill, winking at her.

Hermione put her hand on Harry's forearm and leant towards him. `My guess is they're using a different venue because of us.'

Harry looked down her, still frowning.

`Why would us going mean they need to hold it somewhere else?'

Fred and George sighed theatrically and rolled their eyes in twinly unison.

`Harry, Harry, Harry!' said George sounding patiently exasperated.

`Surely you realise just what the presence of your esteemed self, in the company of our Ickle Ronnie-kins and the devastatingly gorgeous Hermione, means?' said Fred gravely, although his eyes were dancing with suppressed mirth.

Dean groaned impatiently. `Oh cut the crap!' he said, earning himself a swipe on the arm from Ginny along with a muttered, `You should talk!'

Turning to Harry, Dean continued, `Does any one of you three realise what a huge thing this is? The three of you being together again? Do you have even the slightest inkling of the pandemonium you've released?'

Harry looked at Hermione, then Ron; their expressions were the same as his and made it clear that they didn't realise anything of the sort and also caused Fred and George to break into highly amused chuckles.

`Hasn't all the fuss sort of faded away over the last few years?' asked Ron. At this point, Fred and George began to laugh outright.

`What's up with you two, now?' asked Molly, sounding vexed.

The twins managed to stop laughing enough to speak, Fred first. `We just can't believe that the ridiculously famous Trio, the Trio, are so completely clueless about their own fame!'

`That's not true!' retorted Hermione hotly. `We know perfectly well that we're famous, thank you very much Fred Weasley!'

`So,' said George, `why is Harry so amazed that there are - what'd you call it, Dad? - oh yeah, "special circumstances", requiring a different venue for the ball?'

By way of an answer, Hermione shrugged uncomfortably before looking at Harry.

`Everyone wants to gawk at us,' said Ron sourly.

`That's not very nicely put,' said Molly.

`But basically true, I'm afraid,' said Arthur. `However,' he continued quickly, before anyone else could speak, `they also want to honour you. They want to thank you. They want to share their happiness with you. And while you don't owe them anything, they are all aware of how much they owe you - and at this ball, they feel they'll be able to repay just a tiny bit of that debt.'

A short, thoughtful silence followed in the wake of Arthur's words.

`The Ministry isn't big enough, is it?' asked Harry quietly.

`No, it's not,' replied Arthur.

`So where will it be?' asked Hermione.

`Gotta be Hogwarts,' said Ron.

Hermione frowned. `But Hogwarts isn't any bigger than the Ministry!'

`You'll just have to wait and see,' said Arthur and despite Ginny's wheedling, pleading and nagging, he refused to say anything more on the matter.

*

Lunch was a quiet affair with Dean and Ginny at the Thomas's, Ron at the Lovegood's and the twins meeting their old mate, Lee Jordan, for lunch in London. An official Ministry Owl arrived while Molly was Flooing Charlie and Cordelia and delivered a letter advising the Trio that two Ministry cars would arrive to pick them up at six p.m.

Ginny and Dean Flooed back to the Burrow first, just after three that afternoon, Ginny giving Dean a loving kiss before disappearing upstairs to get ready. Ron returned with Luna shortly afterwards so that Fleur could help her with her hair; Luna had brought her dress with her so that she could share in the excitement of getting ready with the other "girls". Her father, who was travelling to the ball with them, was arriving around six, the same time as Percy and Penelope, who were getting ready at home.

Fred and George Flooed in last, just before five, to find all the men just about ready, the women still closeted in bedrooms and bathrooms.

Harry and Ron were standing to one side of the fireplace talking quietly when Molly came downstairs. She was the first of the women to appear and fussed over the twins, chivvying them off to get ready, ignoring their good-natured grumbling.

`How's Ginny?' asked Dean, who was sitting with Bill and Fleur before the fireplace, sipping a glass of Ogden's.

`She's fine,' said Molly with a smile, `and she looks beautiful! And so do Fleur, Luna and Hermione,' she finished with a knowing glance at Bill, Ron and Harry.

Ron was a little nervous at the prospect of his first "real" date and growing more so as six o'clock approached.

`Don't worry,' Harry told him. `You can't do anything worse than fall on your arse in front of her and you've already done that!'

Ron groaned. `Don't remind me!'

Fleur came downstairs first looking, as always, breathtakingly stunning. She wore a shimmering silver gown, her beautiful silvery-blonde hair softly curled so that it appeared to float around her head like a halo. A slight frown appeared on her face when she spotted Bill, as he had used a Masking Charm so that he looked "normal". Rising swiftly and crossing to take his wife's hands, Bill lifted them in turn to place a kiss on the back of each; Fleur smiled graciously at her husband, then whispered that it wasn't necessary for him to mask himself. Bill persuaded her otherwise, however, telling her it was for two main reasons: firstly, so that he wouldn't frighten the other guests and secondly, he didn't particularly feel like being stared at all evening.

Ginny and Luna arrived next, Ginny looking radiant in her misty, sea-green gown, her red hair curled and falling softly over one shoulder. Dean whispered in her ear that for a mother-to-be, she looked incredibly beautiful and amazingly sexy.

When Ron saw Luna, he let out an involuntary wolf-whistle followed by a heartfelt, `Wow!' Fleur was smiling somewhat maternally, feeling rather proud of Luna's hairdo. At Luna's request, she had painstakingly braided her very long hair, then wound the braid around her head, piling it up into a soft, blonde crown and tucking the end in so that it couldn't be seen. Luna's hair seemed to sparkle, due to the small, glittering magical gems Fleur had placed everywhere with touches of her wand. Luna's dress was the same shade of blue as her eyes, the bodice close-fitting, the full skirt falling from the waist.

Hermione had already started down the stairs before Luna reached the bottom, but the only one watching her at that point was Harry; he had eyes for no one else. She'd chosen a black dress, something she'd never worn before. It was very simple and sophisticated, falling to the floor from a necklace-like circle of sparkling crystals, fitting snugly over every curve on the way, more crystals decorating the hem in a wave-like design. The dress itself was sleeveless but Harry realised that there was another layer he'd not seen the previous day. It was a full-length, sheer black overlay, as light as air, caught at the centre crystal around the neckline and open at the front as though it was an unbuttoned coat; long sleeves finished at the wrist, gathered to matching bracelets of the sparkling crystals. The gossamer material was dotted with a myriad of the tiny crystals, reflecting the light like so many miniature stars. Hermione had charmed her hair so that it was swept gently back from her forehead, falling in long, soft waves down her back to her waist.

As Luna took the last step and made her way to a bedazzled Ron, Harry moved towards the stairs, still watching Hermione - he couldn't take his eyes off her and when she saw him, her eyes widened, her lips parting as she drew in a sudden breath. She thought - knew! - Harry was sexy, but she wasn't prepared for the sight of him, a fully grown man, wearing a perfectly fitted black tuxedo with a black matte satin waistcoat and cravat-style tie. As her eyes moved from his head to his feet and back again, her immediate reaction was to think how much she'd like to get him out of that tuxedo and…

`Hermione!'

Harry's soft exclamation was only loud enough to reach Hermione and as their eyes met and locked, a tantalising smile curved her lips. As she stopped at the bottom step, Harry moved forward the last few steps to meet her, neither of them aware of the glances now turning in their direction, one by one.

As Hermione stepped down, Harry reached out for her hand, their eyes still locked. `Actually seeing you in that dress far outstrips my imagination,' said Harry, his voice hoarse.

`And as for you…well, I'll tell you later what it is your "nothing special" tuxedo is making me think about doing right now, Mr Potter.'

The smile Harry gave her in response to her remark made Hermione's knees literally weaken.

`Hermione, where in the name of the Great Ghostly Griffin did you get that?!' croaked Fred.

`Do you have a look-alike cousin? Somewhere? Anywhere?' asked George, his eyes agog.

Although she laughed at the twins, Hermione's eyes didn't leave Harry's until Molly swept up to them, clucking her tongue.

`All right you two, enough mutual admiration for now! Where's your evening bag, Hermione? And your robes, Harry? Wands everyone! Percy and Penelope arrived a minute ago and Mr Lovegood will be here any second.'

`The Ministry cars have just pulled up outside,' announced Dean as he peered out the window.

`I'm so excited!' cried Ginny, smiling joyfully up at her husband. `Come on, let's go!'

And go they did, shortly after the arrival of Luna's father a few minutes later.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Mr Lovegood, Ginny, Dean, Arthur and Molly travelled together in the first car, Bill and Fleur, Fred and George and Percy and Penelope in the second car. Fred and George could be heard muttering to each other about how much better Hermione looked than Percy and Bill and why couldn't they be in her car…assuring Fleur and Penelope they were in no way casting aspersions on their beauty…

When they'd first seen the cars, everyone felt a little let down - they looked just like ordinary, white Rolls Royce limousines. And while the interior, with its white leather upholstery, was also rather Muggle-like, they discovered that's where the similarities ended. The built-in television, multi-media player and bar with fridge, part of the Muggle version, had been replaced with extra seating, and so Harry and his fellow passengers enjoyed exemplary comfort. There was a rather stern looking house-elf named Austerio, dressed in a highly starched black and white toga-like outfit, who assured them with great aplomb that anything - anything - they wanted or needed would be provided with great pleasure by himself, they need only speak his name and he would appear to provide it.

As he vanished with a "crack", presumably to the driver's compartment, Hermione sat speechless, Ginny leaning forwards and whispering, `Shouldn't he be called a "car-elf"?' hoping to distract her.

Harry's smile was one that said he was rather pleased with himself as he explained to Hermione that he'd actually asked about the "car-elf" earlier and had been told by the driver, albeit rather sourly, that he was in fact paid for his work. Hermione, needless to say, was happily mollified by this information and sat back to enjoy the journey. Less than a minute after the cars had moved off, Molly let out a scream of surprise.

`Arthur! What's happening?' she cried.

Arthur was grinning broadly. `We're flying, dear,' he said happily, sitting back in his seat, his arms behind his head. `A flying car! How extraordinarily wonderful!'

Harry and Ron exchanged a look that ended in laughter. `Wonder what Fred and George are saying about all of this?' said Ron, grinning, with a sideways look at his mother.

`This is different from your father's car,' said Molly in the most dignified manner she could muster, `after all, it's Ministry approved.'

`Bet Dad had something to do with the by-law loop-hole that's let them do this, though!' chortled Ron.

Arthur frowned at his son, but quickly replaced it with a smile as Molly turned to look at him.

`The Minister is his own boss,' he said, continuing before anything else could be said, `and I think it's high time we had a drink! Austerio!'

With a pompous "pop", the house-elf appeared, standing amongst their feet, his head not rising far above the level of their knees. They placed their orders and within minutes they were each holding the drink of their choice. Just as they raised their glasses in a toast to "a truly wonderful evening", there was a loud BANG followed by a tiny lurch, luckily not bad enough for any drinks to be spilt.

Arthur leaned forward to look out the window past Molly. `Hmmm, looks like Wales,' he commented thoughtfully.

`Wales?' repeated Mr Lovegood, surprised. `Didn't we just leave the Burrow?'

`Seems as though they've crossed a certain flying-car enchantment with the abilities of the Knight Bus,' Harry said to Arthur with a knowing smile.

`Seems they have,' was the rather vague reply.

`Seems to me Mr Weasley is doing his best to dodge some sort of a telling-off by Mrs Weasley!' Hermione whispered to Harry, laughing quietly.

Perhaps Molly decided this was not the night to have at her husband about his love of things Muggle and in particular, his old flying car (still living in the Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts as far as anyone knew), but whatever the reason, she remained serenely and quietly happy, sipping her sherry as the car jumped with well-mannered, intermittent BANGS until they could all recognise the coldly glistening surface of the Black Lake and the lights of Hogwarts Castle below in the dusky light.

`We're here,' said Hermione breathlessly and from that second on, the sense of excited anticipation they all felt seemed to escalate.

`What's all that?' asked Luna's father, drawing everyone's attention to the scene below: the gates of Hogwarts were closed and outside them could be seen a mass of twinkling lights.

`Oh, that would be some of the people who weren't able to get tickets to the ball,' said Arthur in a nonchalant tone.

`What?' cried Hermione. `Why are they waiting there? Surely not to see us?'

`Well, actually, yes,' said Arthur, `I imagine that's what they're doing.'

Looking aghast, Hermione called, `Austerio!'

The dignified house-elf appeared immediately. `How may I help you?'

Hermione instructed him to tell the driver that the car was to land just inside the gates. Now. Please.

Within seconds of his disappearing pop they could all feel the car banking, spiralling gently down to land behind the wrought-iron gates; everyone could hear the muffled sound of hundreds of voices outside.

`Come on, Harry, Ron,' said Hermione in a very professor-like manner, `we're going to say hello to these people. I can't believe they're all waiting out here in the cold just to see us!'

Harry and Ron exchanged amused looks, then Ron opened the door and stepped out, holding his hand out for Hermione, Harry coming out last.

From the instant the door had opened, the volume of the crowd's noise had risen sharply; when Austerio performed a lumos spell, casting a pool of bright light over and around the car making Ron clearly visible, loud cheers followed. When Hermione stepped out into the light, smiling and waving, the cheers increased in volume and when Harry appeared, the noise became almost deafening. The Trio moved away from the car so that they could stand side by side, Harry in the middle. He linked his arms through Ron and Hermione's, feeling a little awed and very humbled by this reception.

`Hold on,' he told them, `we're going up!'

Which is just what they did - Harry levitated them to the top of the car so that they were visible to just about everyone waiting outside the gates. They stood, waving and smiling at the crowd in the cold air for a few minutes, calling out "thank you" and "so sorry you aren't able to come in", although they knew they couldn't possibly be heard over the tremendous roar of the crowd.

The cold finally got the better of them. The gathered throng made it clear they were disappointed the Trio were leaving and as Harry took them back to the ground, the cheers became wails of "No!" and "Stay!" Despite feeling regret at having to leave so soon, they were very grateful to once more be seated in the warm interior of the car; their excitement, intensified by their experience with the multitude outside, infecting everyone else as they rejoined them.

They were barely seated when the cars quickly took to the air, giving them all one last look at the huge number of people below before they banked and flew over the castle, landing with only the tiniest of bumps in the courtyard at the back, drawing up to a canopy that had been erected over the door leading inside. The doors opened by themselves as soon as the cars stopped, and as everyone gathered under the canopy they heard the castle door creak as it opened. A tall, lean figure bounded down the stairs and made a beeline for the Trio, a young witch and wizard following in his footsteps; they all instantly recognised the Minister for Magic.

`Mr Potter! Mr Weasley! Miss Granger! What a truly stupendous honour to have you with us this evening!'

`I think he actually means it,' an impressed George whispered to his twin.

`Ah, Arthur! Evening! So good to see you again!' The Minister shook hands enthusiastically with Arthur, bowed to Molly and the other ladies present then shook hands with each of the other men while telling them all how happy he was to see them and how much he was looking forward to the evening.

`So, the back door, Alcott?' asked Arthur wryly, indicating the door with a nod.

`We could hardly have you all just bundle in the front door!' replied the Minister, looking askance at Arthur. `Imagine the pandemonium! Actually, it's been nothing but pandemonium!'

Within a minute, they were being led up the stairs and through a door which was as familiar to each of them as the corridor it led into; they passed empty classrooms - Classroom Eleven being the most memorable - and as they neared the closed door that led into the Entrance Hall, they became aware of a constant, low murmur coming from the other side.

`People,' explained the Minister, rolling his eyes, `scads of them. You wouldn't believe how hard we've had our people working this past week to get the Great Hall ready - well, not just ready, but big enough! Even though there will never be as much magic in the whole of the Ministry to match the old, embedded magic that lies in every corridor and blackboard of Hogwarts, it was still a huge challenge enlarging the Great Hall - not to mention shooing away all the blighters that kept trying to set up camp out front! Security has become very lax in the last few years,' he finished in a disapproving tone.

`I don't think the shooing worked,' said Ron dryly, grinning.

The Minister gave him a quizzical look and Ron said in the most nonchalant way he could, `Well, we just spent a few minutes waving to a lot of people outside the gates.'

This stopped the Minister in his tracks and he gaped at Ron, looking to Harry and Hermione for confirmation.

`We couldn't just ignore them,' said Hermione firmly, meeting the Minister's gaze unwaveringly.

The Minister shook his head and rolled his eyes. `I'm just going to pretend you didn't tell me that,' he said to the ceiling and turned to lead the way once more.

`Why didn't you use the Quidditch Pitch?' Bill asked as he thumbed over his shoulder in the direction they'd just come, helping the Minister to ignore what he'd just been told.

`The Quidditch Pitch? In this weather?' gasped the Minister. `Too damn cold!' He shivered as though giving weight to his answer, then reached out and opened a door on his left which led into an antechamber. His two silent assistants took their places in the corridor each side of the door as though standing guard.

`If you don't mind, would you please wait in here until we're sure everyone's seated?' asked the Minister, sounding slightly nervous.

Everyone smiled and nodded their acquiescence as they filed into the antechamber.

`Nice!' commented Dean when he spotted the lit fire, the many comfortable armchairs and the side table laden with food and drink.

The Minister waited by the door until they were all in the room then cleared his throat, obviously wanting their attention. As all eyes turned toward him, the Minister drew himself up straight, his hands clasped behind his back. As he paced slowly across in front of the door, they could make out the likeness of the New Fountain of Magical Brethren embroidered in gold thread on the back of his emerald green cloak.

`What we're hoping to do,' he said as he stopped and turned to face them, `is ensure everyone attending is in their seat, then we'll take everyone but the Trio - sorry, I shouldn't really refer to you as that in your presence, should I? - everyone but Mr Potter, Mr Weasley and Miss Granger in, and once they're comfortably seated, we'll announce you three. We thought you may like to enter together.'

Ron initially wasn't sure about not having Luna with him but she assured him she was perfectly happy to go in ahead of him.

`Besides, then I get to watch you make your grand entrance! And no falling on your behind, Ronald,' she finished with a mischievous grin.

Ron groaned, laughing as he shook his head and hugged her. `I do hope, Minister, that Luna will be sitting next to me?' he asked over the top of Luna's head.

`Oh, yes, she is! Mr Potter did give us the optimum seating placements.'

Hermione looked up at Harry, highly amused. `"Optimum seating placements"?'

`His phrase, not mine!' Harry assured her. `I just wanted to make sure I was sitting next to you!'

Hermione's hand slid into Harry's and squeezed his fingers gently. `I would've said something if you weren't, believe me!' she told him.

The Minister clapped his hands together, looking relieved that his proposed arrangements had been so readily accepted. `Right, I'll go and see how things are progressing in the Great Hall, then I'll be right back! Priscilla and Ben are on duty outside the door if you need anything at all.'

As the door closed behind the Minister, everyone began talking at once, their excitement rising to the surface once more. Less than ten minutes later, the Minister returned to escort everyone but the Trio into the Great Hall; Harry, Ron and Hermione were left alone in the antechamber once the door shut with a slight rasping sound behind Luna's father.

Hermione, standing between Ron and Harry, reached out and clasped their hands.

`Well, here we are,' she said softly.

`Just the three of us,' said Ron with a gentle smile.

`Back at Hogwarts once more,' added Harry.

`I'm actually revelling in the thought of how infuriated Voldemort would be if he could see us now!' said Hermione with triumphant glee.

`Bollocks to him!' crowed Ron and they all laughed, preventing them from hearing the door open.

`I take it you're ready, then?' asked a familiar voice.

Three pairs of eyes flashed to the doorway.

`Professor McGonagall!' they cried in unison.

`So glad you remember,' she replied smoothly, although her eyes were glistening suspiciously as she gazed at the three of them.

`So, time to go?' asked Ron, straightening.

The Headmistress nodded and the Trio fell in step behind her, stopping when they arrived in front of the closed double doors to the Great Hall.

`Yes. I'm going to slip in and take my seat,' the Professor told them, `and when you hear yourselves announced, the doors will open and you can proceed to the High Table. I'm sure you know the way.'

The three friends nodded in unison and with her fingers resting on the ornate door handle, the Professor spoke one last time.

`You all look quite wonderful, by the way, and I have to say this is a very proud and happy night.' Then she was gone, the door closing silently behind her. There had been the sound of muted conversation, rising in volume for the few seconds it took the Headmistress to enter the Hall, but after the door closed, the silence was instantaneous. It was so quiet, in fact, they could hear the Professor's footsteps on the stone floor as she walked the length of the room.

After what felt like an eternity, they clearly heard the voice of the Minister for Magic: `Witches and wizards all, it is with unimaginable pleasure that I make the following announcement…'

Harry looked down at Hermione on his right, then around to Ron. They all grinned at each other, took a deep breath and linked arms, their hearts beginning to race; for the first time in a long time, they felt very much "the Trio" at that moment…

`…please welcome our guests of honour this evening, the witch and wizards to whom we all owe our lives, the Trio we have longed to see reunited for the past five years - and they are here with us this evening!'

The doors began to swing open slowly and they clearly heard the Minister's voice ringing out as he called their names:

`Harry Potter! Hermione Granger! Ronald Weasley!'

The doors were now completely open and Harry, Ron and Hermione, just about to step forward, froze in amazement at the sight that met their wide, unblinking eyes. Hermione drew in a quick, sharp breath; Ron managed a mangled sound that could've been "bloody hell!" whilst Harry simply stared, unable to believe he was standing in the entrance to the Great Hall. Unexpectedly, more than half a lifetime of memories from time spent in this very place suddenly demanded to be remembered, flashes of scores of images fought for recognition - so many he could hardly make them out; his head was reeling.

Then he felt Hermione gently squeeze his hand and in that moment, as he looked into her warm, dancing eyes, he knew his life had really only begun again at the instant he'd stepped from the fireplace in the Burrow a week ago.

For the smallest of moments, you could hear a pin drop in the magically expanded Great Hall of Hogwarts as everyone present gazed in awe at the three figures that had become legends in their own lifetimes. As the Trio stood there in the tall, open doorway with their arms linked, everyone present was acutely aware they were part of a night that would go down in wizarding history. Then a lone voice echoed through the Hall: `Oy! Harry! Ron! Hermione! Good on you!'

And the silence was instantly shattered, replaced with cheers, cries, whistles, clapping and calling voices.

The Trio unconsciously straightened before they began walking slowly down the wide centre aisle, left clear for just this moment. Their faces revealed their astonishment at the reception they were being given, yet they couldn't stop smiling.

`I think they recognise us,' said Ron loudly so that he could be heard over the din.

`Really? You sure?' asked Hermione as she leant forward to grin at him past Harry.

`Yeah, pretty sure,' he replied, winking at her.

`I'm so glad we're in this together,' said Harry who was feeling particularly appreciative at that moment of having Ron and Hermione by his side once more.

`I know what you mean, mate,' replied Ron with feeling.

`I've always said it's never been just one of us - it's always been the three of us,' said Hermione, unable to keep a little smugness out of her tone.

Ron made a great show of sighing, shaking his head as he laughed nonetheless. `Don't you ever get sick of being right, Hermione?' he asked.

They all threw back their heads and laughed and a flash bulb exploded somewhere in front of them as Colin Creevey took the photo that would become not only his own personal favourite, but the most recognised photo in all wizardom over the ensuing years.

They finally arrived at the steps that led up to the High Table, Harry's comment making them laugh: `Thank Merlin they only made the Hall wider and not longer!'

When they reached the top step, they dropped their arms and turned to face the crowd which filled an Entrance Hall three times wider than it usually was; it appeared to the Trio to be a continuous, shifting mass of smiling faces and waving arms that stretched to the walls and then up the walls. There were many glints of light reflecting off an unprecedented number of Omnioculars which made the starlit ceiling appear to extend down the walls.

`D'you reckon they're planning on any dancing happening tonight?' said Ron.

`I don't mind if they're not!' replied Harry, laughing as Hermione simultaneously nudged him with her arm and tried to frown at him.

`Sonorus!'

All three of them turned their heads to their left to see the Minister for Magic standing there, his wand pointed at his throat.

The Minister smiled at them, giving them a small bow before straightening and turning to speak, his voice carrying to the far reaches of the Hall. `Good evening! I am Alcott Brayden, your Minister for Magic and it is with great pleasure that I welcome you all to the Ministry of Magic's Annual Yule Ball, although I believe that this particular ball will be remembered more fondly as the Reunion Ball!'

A surge of cheers met this announcement and after tucking his wand away, the Minister held up his hands in an effort to lessen the noise.

`The reunion of which I speak is, of course, the reunion of the legendary members of the Trio, here with us as I speak. I would like, firstly, before we give in to our joyous mood this evening, to express the collective gratitude once again of all witches and wizards to you -' he turned and nodded to Harry, Ron and Hermione, `- and as I have no doubt each of you is looking forward to sitting down and getting on with enjoying yourselves, there is something I would like to do right now.'

The sound of voices became hushed with expectancy as Hagrid and Professor McGonagall, who had been standing against the side wall at the end of the High Table, moved forward to stand beside the Minister. It was now possible to see that they were both holding something - Hagrid, some elaborately tied scrolls in one large hand, the Headmistress some ornately carved wooden boxes.

`While you were each awarded the Order of Merlin, First Class, following your defeat of He-Who - pardon me, of … Voldemort -' the Minister shuddered delicately as he spoke the name of wizardkind's evil nemesis (old habits die hard), `I believe it is only fitting that you are also presented with these unique medallions, created especially in your honour and in remembrance of this evening. I doubt that there will ever be any witch or wizard ever again who will be worthy of them.'

The expectant hush became almost complete silence as the Minister turned to Hagrid, who placed one of the scrolls in the Minister's outstretched hand.

Harry, Ron and Hermione, each of them equally puzzled, watched as the thick, ivory coloured parchment was unrolled; the Minister held it out at arm's length and cleared his throat before he began to recite:

`To you, Harry James Potter, to you, Hermione Jane Granger, and to you, Ronald Bilius Weasley, is awarded the Highest and Most Reverently Esteemed Order of Dumbledore. This is done in Recognition of your Outstanding Contribution to Wizardkind and Mugglekind through your Magnificent Devotion to what is right, your Unswerving Loyalty to your Fellow Witches and Wizards and your Phenomenal Bravery, not just on the night you freed us all from the Tyranny of Evil by Vanquishing Tom Marvolo Riddle, known as Lord Voldemort, but throughout your lives on the many occasions you Faced and Fought The Dark Lord and his many Minions. With Boundless Gratitude and Joyous Hearts, this Order is so Presented to each of you.'

In the silence that followed, the Minister rolled up and re-tied the scroll before handing it to Harry, taking the remaining two from Hagrid and passing them to Ron and Hermione. Professor McGonagall held the three boxes steady as the Minister opened each one in turn and removed the beautifully crafted golden medallion within and placed them around the necks of each of the Trio in turn - Harry, Hermione, then Ron. They learnt later that the purple velvet ribbon on which the medallions were hung had been made from Albus Dumbledore's favourite purple cloak.

Following the presentation, the night seemed to fly by for the Trio. They were seated at the High Table - now many times longer then usual - and they enjoyed a wonderful meal, although they couldn't tell you what it was they ate; they were constantly amazed at the sights and sounds surrounding them. Once the feast was over, many friends, some people they'd heard of and some they hadn't, came by the table for a few words.

It seemed to all pass so quickly in an exhilarating blur and before they knew it, all tables and chairs, with the exception of the High Table, had been Vanished, and the stone floor of the huge hall was quickly filled with hundreds of pairs of dancers.

When, a mere five minutes later, the last notes of the first song died away, all eyes turned expectantly to the High Table.

`Here we go,' Harry told Hermione with a tender smile; he was sure everyone present would assume the person chosen by each of the Trio as their dance partner was also their partner in romance - and they were right, of course…

So Harry happily, although not terribly expertly, led a glowing Hermione around the circle of floor cleared for them, while a proud Ron held a content looking Luna in his arms as they swayed in time to the music.

When the next song began the dance floor was once more full and despite being the centre of attention with all eyes upon them, the Trio were nevertheless shown the courtesy of being left to enjoy themselves. Still, whenever any of them spotted a familiar face in the crowd, they would wave and call out and sometimes share a few words.

Colin Creevey, now a leading freelance photographer in the wizarding world, spent all night in a paroxysm of ecstasy at the endless photo opportunities surrounding him regardless of which way he turned. His face flushed and his eyes bright with rapture, he promised the Trio he'd send them copies of his best photos.

Close to two a.m., when Harry tracked down Alcott Brayden to let him know they were ready to leave, he found him talking to a very attractive witch behind the High Table. Looking a little sheepish, the Minister immediately made his apologies to his companion and asked Harry to accompany him round to the front of the High Table.

Performing a quick sonorus spell on himself, the Minister called for everyone's attention, announcing the evening was coming to an end and thanking everyone for being there; he also expressed gratitude for those who had contributed and worked so hard towards making the whole event such a huge success. Harry knew what was coming and resigned himself to the inevitable; Hermione and Ron appeared out of the crowd just then and joined him, for which he was glad.

`And now, perhaps, Harry, Ron and Hermione would like to say a few words.'

Harry thought it was a bit rich to be asked to make a speech considering the fact his sole, if somewhat selfish, reason for finding the Minister was to get home. He grinned to himself. Not just to get home, but to get home alone with Hermione! Nevertheless, he good-naturedly resigned himself to the inevitable and as the crowd shuffled closer to the dais, the air became charged with expectancy and the Trio all drew their wands to cast the sonorus charm.

Ron raised his hand, palm out, just above his shoulder. `May I speak first, Professor Potter?' he asked with a cheeky grin, drawing laughter.

`Shouldn't Professor Granger speak first, being a lady?' asked Harry, grinning back.

Ron rolled his eyes. `She always got to go first just because she's a girl! It's not fair!' he called out, the audience responding with peals of laughter.

`Watch your manners, Ron, you don't want your mum sending you another howler now, do you?' said Hermione, arching one delicate eyebrow at him.

`All right, all right, you go first!' retorted Ron, adding a muttered, `As always,' that was still quite audible.

`What was that, Ron?' asked Hermione, her hands going to her hips as the laughter continued.

`Perhaps,' said Harry, addressing the crowd, `I'll go first while they -' he indicated Ron and Hermione with his thumbs, `- get on with their bickering on the side here.'

While their exchange was spontaneous, to some it may have appeared contrived; nevertheless, the Trio's bantering delighted those watching. It made them feel as if they were being given a rare insight into the lives of the three famous friends and sharing some of their daily interaction - something most of them would probably never have the opportunity to experience again.

Harry, without having given any thought to a speech, managed to make a very moving one expressing his amazement at the whole evening, saying how much he'd enjoyed it and with his own natural humility, how honoured he was to have been presented with an inaugural Order of Dumbledore. He went on to say he was sure Ron and Hermione felt the same, both of whom smiled and waved as they nodded in agreement.

Without going into any great detail, Harry simply said that despite hardships over the previous five years, he, Ron and Hermione were back together and would never again be parted. When he spotted Luna standing at the bottom of the steps in front of them, Harry beckoned to her to join them. With her own, special, misty smile, she walked up the stairs and stood beside Ron, slipping her hand into his. Harry took Hermione's hand as he turned to the sea of faces one last time.

`When all is said and done, we only want for ourselves what everyone hopes for - a long, happy life with those we love around us. We honestly need no further recognition or accolades - I truly believe any one of you would've done the same as we did if you'd been in our shoes. So thank you one last time and good night!'

Thunderous applause followed and the two couples waved in recognition as they, along with the rest of the Weasleys and Luna's father, moved towards the door behind the High Table. From there, they made their way out to their waiting limousines, Luna and her father going with Percy and Penelope and the twins in one car as they were all being taken to their own homes for the night. Just over an hour later, when everyone had gone to bed and all was quiet in the Burrow, Harry once more crept across the landing to Hermione's room, surprised to find her still in her dress, although she'd removed the sheer overlay. She was leaning on the wall at the end of the bed, gazing out the window into the night, the expression on her face a mixture of serene contentment and joy.

`It's snowing,' she whispered.

Hermione turned to smile at him as he came up behind her, sliding his arms around her waist and dropping his head to nuzzle her neck, loving the silky feel of her hair against his cheek.

Hermione sighed. `That feels soooo good,' she murmured.

`You look amazing in this dress,' Harry murmured against her neck, running his hands down over her hips and up again to the curve of her waist, Hermione writhing slightly against him in response to his touch.

`Keep that up beautiful lady and I'll have this tux off before you can say Evanesco,' ground out Harry hoarsely.

Turning in his arms to face him, Hermione slipped her arms around his neck and Harry tightened his grip, pulling her hard against him.

`I'm afraid you won't be taking that tux off, Harry,' Hermione told him, her voice low and suggestive.

`I won't?'

`No,' said Hermione with a wicked smile, `that's something I've wanted to do all night and you're not going to deprive me.' As she spoke, she slowly ran her hands from Harry's neck down to grasp the lapels of his jacket, grasping them and pushing it off his shoulders, letting it drop to the floor. Next, she began to undo the small, black buttons of his waistcoat.

`Wouldn't dream of it,' Harry managed finally, watching her fingers as though hypnotised. When the last button was undone, Harry quickly removed the waistcoat himself before he began pulling his shirt out of his pants.

Hermione playfully slapped his hands and "tsked", shaking her head, guiding his hands back to her waist. She smiled up at him and Harry became aware of his heart racing erratically as her hands began pulling at his shirt until it was freed. Unable to take his eyes from hers, Harry was acutely aware of Hermione's fingers now busy undoing the buttons of his shirt from the top down. The sensation of her fingers moving against his bare skin as she worked her way down was making the blood pound in his ears.

When Hermione's warm fingers reached the button that sat level with his belt, Harry's grip tightened convulsively on her waist in anticipation of the possibility that her hands may just brush against - and then they did. Dear Merlin! His head dropped back, his eyes closing as a deep groan reverberated in his chest. Harry was barely aware of Hermione undoing his cuff buttons but when she ran her hands up and over the bare skin of his stomach and chest he couldn't prevent the reflexive tremor that passed through his body. Hermione grasped his shirt just below the collar and Harry regained enough presence of mind to help in removing it, not caring where it landed when he let go of it.

Their gazes were once more locked as Hermione's tantalising hands now travelled slowly downwards as though savouring each second of contact with his skin. Harry was surprised when Hermione didn't begin undoing his belt; instead, he found himself staring as she lifted her arms and reached around to undo something at the back of her neck. As she lowered her hands and began to pull gently on the shoulders of her gown, it dropped to the floor, Harry's eyes involuntarily following the shimmering black dress as it pooled around her feet with a sensuous slithering sound. Harry's gaze then moved slowly upwards, over her legs - encased in sheer, black stockings - over lacy, French knickers, lingering on the silky white skin of her stomach, widening as they came to rest on the black lace bra and the enticing curve of her breasts.

As his eyes slowly returned to meet hers once more, the look of inexpressible love combined with desperate desire he found in those beloved brown depths wrenched a low, hoarse groan from somewhere deep inside him. He instinctively reached out for her, wrapping his arms around her, deliriously aware of the feel of her breasts and stomach pressed against his naked chest. He turned and dropped onto the bed, pulling Hermione with him, seeking her lips and kissing her deeply.

If it had been possible for him to put his thoughts and feelings into words at that moment, he would have told her, `As long as you are with me, Hermione, I'll be happy. You are all I've wanted for so long. You are all I'll ever need…I love you…'

*

As the sky began to lighten hours later, they woke to the sight of a sparkling, pristine snowscape.

`How perfect,' murmured Hermione, kneeling on the bed and gazing out the window.

Harry pulled her down again so that she lay on her side next to him, her head supported on her propped elbow.

`Merry Christmas, love,' he said, his voice roughened with sleep.

Lifting her free hand, Hermione traced the outline of his lips with her finger, smiling.

`Merry Christmas, Harry.'

`You will marry me, won't you?'

Hermione's eyes widened momentarily and then she laughed lightly.

`Do you need to ask?' she said, her eyes shining.

`I'm remembering my manners,' he replied, waggling his eyebrows at her. `I don't want to risk getting a howler!'

Hermione laughed. `Then I'd best remember mine and give you a proper answer: Of course I'll marry you!'

`Wouldn't've taken no for an answer anyway, you know.'

Hermione gazed down at him, her fingers trailing from his mouth across his cheek and into his hair, playing absentmindedly with the unruly strands.

`I wouldn't've been able to say no to you, Harry,' she said tenderly.

Harry's green eyes seemed to Hermione to darken as he stretched out his arm. `Accio ring!'

Hermione froze, gazing at Harry in complete surprise.

Out of the corner of her eye, Hermione saw something catch the light for a second before Harry's fingers closed around it.

Bringing his closed fist between them, he slowly opened his fingers, his eyes on Hermione's face, watching her closely.

Her gasp of sheer delight brought a smile of satisfaction to Harry's face. Hermione lifted her gaze to his and he could see tears in her eyes. Pushing herself upright, Hermione sat cross-legged, leaning back against the wall. She held out her left hand palm down with her fingers splayed as she looked at him, her eyes glowing with happiness.

Harry sat up too, facing Hermione, thinking she'd never looked more beautiful as the dawn light shone through her hair. Taking her hand, Harry slipped the ring on, his eyes locked on hers every moment.

`I love you, Hermione,' he said softly, `thank you for marrying me.'

Hermione gave him a tremulous smile as a tear slid slowly down each cheek. `I love you, Harry. Thank you for everything.'

As she glanced down at the ring, a gold band with a brilliant, heart-shaped diamond, Harry gently cupped her face with both his hands, his thumbs brushing away her tears.

She looked up at him again. `The most perfectly happiest day of my life,' she whispered.

`And mine,' he replied, just before his lips covered hers.

*

Of course, Harry and Hermione weren't the only ones who had a perfectly happy day.

The Burrow was bursting with Weasleys and more by lunchtime. Bill and Fleur had given in to Molly's pleading and were staying for lunch and the opening of presents before leaving to be with their daughters. Arthur was at the mercy of a frantic Molly since they'd invited the Lovegoods and the Grangers to join them for lunch, making a total of twenty-one people.

Charlie and Cordelia arrived with baby Sam and everything came to halt as he was fussed over, Molly only managing to tear herself away when she looked at the family grandfather clock and saw her hand was pointing to "Lunch is running very late!" The one time baby Sam cried, clock-Hagrid was seen running out, wringing his hands as he peered around anxiously to see what the strange noise was. Lunch ended up being only a little late and no one really minded.

There was a marvellous paper fight after everyone had unwrapped their presents, which had Molly's wand swishing through the air to catch the coloured missiles while she scolded the perpetrators, shocked into silence when she saw Percy was one of them, Penelope laughing at him so much she was crying.

Arthur drank too much Ogden's and insisted on dancing with his wife around the kitchen table as he sang "Jingle Bells". Bill and Fleur had brought some French champagne which they chilled with their wands and insisted everyone drink some to celebrate Harry and Hermione's engagement - except Ginny, of course. Hermione wasn't sure whether it was the champagne or just sheer joy that was making her feel a little dizzy.

Fred and George, having joined their father, along with Dean, in emptying a bottle of Ogden's, spent most of the day getting up to mischief and drove their mother to distraction, especially when they decided the garden gnomes must be cold and miserable and tried bringing some inside to warm up by the fire. Bedlam ensued as Hermione's parents had brought Crookshanks with them. Molly told the twins in no uncertain terms what would happen to them if they ever brought garden gnomes into her house again, especially when they had nowhere to hide and Crookshanks was around!

Ron and Luna were happy spectators to most of the goings on, preferring to sit together and just enjoy each other's company.

By the time six o'clock came around, Arthur was asleep in his favourite chair by the fire, Charlie and Cordelia had left with an exhausted little baby Sam, Bill and Fleur had left first with a promise to bring champagne the following Christmas; Luna's father, Percy and Penelope left shortly after the Grangers, who took a frustrated Crookshanks back with them after which Ginny retired to her room to get some rest and Dean went with her.

Fred and George were sitting on the floor, leaning back against the couch on which Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna were sitting, enjoying the peace and quiet and the warmth of the fireplace. Ron and Luna were sitting with their arms around each other, sporting very contented expressions. Molly was sitting in her usual armchair, her eyes closed as she listened to the wireless.

Everyone looked up at the clock as the doors opened and the little Hagrid staggered out. He grinned at them all, hiccoughed, tried in vain to clash his cymbals - but lacked the co-ordination to do so - then winked and waved a cymbal-clad hand at them all and staggered back into his clock again.

`Fred, George…'

`Ah, well, Mum, it's Christmas after all!' said Fred, waving his arms expansively.

`We only gave him a thimbleful of Ogden's,' said George as he grinned at her. `You know how we like to share.'

Molly sighed, rolling her eyes and shaking her head in resignation as the foursome sitting on the couch all laughed. Then quiet descended once more, the only sound the gentle strains of "Silent Night" coming from the wireless. Hermione was sitting on Harry's right; he had one arm around her shoulders, his other hand holding her left hand as they gazed contentedly into the crackling, dancing flames.

Glancing down at their hands and seeing the fire reflected in her new ring, Hermione smiled, then looked up at Harry, only to find his eyes on her, a tender smile curving his lips.

`Perfect ending to a perfect day,' she sighed happily.

And she knew he agreed by the way he kissed her…

And as they kissed, a rather unsteady little clock-Hagrid reappeared, stumbling out and enthusiastically ringing two tiny Christmas bells which, perhaps unfortunately, didn't require as much coordination as his customary cymbals… Then he began to sing along with the radio, swaying gently on the spot, sounding about as tuneful as his real-life counterpart.

`All this racket is your fault,' grumbled Fred, elbowing his brother.

`S'yours. Was your idea to buy that clock,' retorted George.

`You found it.'

`You thought it was cute.'

`You're a git.'

`You're a bigger one.'

`I'll turn you both into gits if you don't shut up,' interrupted Harry gruffly.

Momentary silence.

`What d'you reckon a git'd look like?' whispered Fred to George and quick as a wink, two small round mirrors appeared with a "pop", bobbing in front of the twins' faces…

THE END

Author's Note

Thank you so much, each and every one of you, for reading and reviewing - I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! I'm now going to have a little "holiday" from posting stories (not necessarily writing them!) as I have way too much on my plate between now and Christmas…which is only ten weeks away, you know!

I wish you all an absolutely brilliant Christmas - stay safe and keep well and I hope to "see" you again next year! *waves and blows kisses*

Cheers!

Janie xoxo


-->