Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sixth Year Mutiny by Wizardora
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sixth Year Mutiny

Wizardora

Chapter 2: The Blue Room.

The trip to Hermione's house was quiet, largely due to the fact that every time Hermione looked at Harry her face turned a shade of scarlet that an enraged Uncle Vernon would have been proud of. Every now and then one of Hermione's parents would shoot random questions at Harry, especially at times he was least concentrating.

`So, Hermione tells us you're one of the best pupils at your school?' Mr. Granger asked.

`Yes I always brush my teeth before bed,' Harry answered stupidly.

`That what we like to see,' Mrs. Granger beamed, `someone with good oral hygiene habits.'

`I'm not one of the best, Hermione is the best by far…'

Harry tended to lose the thread in most of these chats. He felt oddly nervous but couldn't explain why. The euphoria of leaving Privet Drive had been replaced by a distinct fear that even Lord Voldemort would struggle to conjure. Harry was running over the idea of staying with Hermione's family and couldn't help but feel anxious. Where would he sleep? What would they talk about? Did they know how bad his feet could smell?

When they finally arrived at Hermione's house Harry was pleased to find it normal and not in the least bit intimidating. A handsome, 3-bedroom suburban semi at the bottom of a cul-de-sac. It looked a little like Privet Drive but the houses were white and pebble-dashed rather than red bricked and square. Most of the houses had garages where, presumably, people kept cars much like Uncle Vernon's. The Granger residence had a garage, a spacious building with tools dotted here and there and a workbench at one end.

`My dad does a lot of craft things,' Hermione whispered as Harry eyed the workbench, `Likes to paint models and things. Mum wont have it in the house, much too dirty.'

Harry heaved his trunk out of the boot of the car, politely declining Mr. Granger's offer to do it. He was, after all, turning his house over to a complete stranger and Harry didn't want to seem completely useless.

`Hermione, honey,' Mrs. Granger said, `why don't you show Harry where he'll be staying, unpack some of his things?'

`C'mon Harry,' Hermione chirped as she skipped away towards the front door. The hallway was pretty much as Harry had expected; a shining white banister led up the curly staircase, a large hat stand stood in one corner and the whole place was carpeted in a kind of dull lavender. Harry looked along the hallway towards the kitchen, half expecting to see a sterile waiting room at the other end.

Harry heaved his trunk upstairs and onto the landing. This, too, was sterile and tidy; the walls papered in lemon colour and five plain white doors leading to the three bedrooms, bathroom and lavatory. Hermione was standing in the doorway of the room on the left hand side and Harry lugged his trunk towards her.

`Well, this is it,' she said, a trace of anxiety in her voice, `It's a bit bland, but hopefully you'll find the bed comfy.'

The room was the best so far. Cool blue wallpaper and a squashy beige carpet, one big window looking out onto the street and a large wardrobe against one wall. There was a television in one corner next to a handsome pine bookcase and next to that a dresser on top of which Harry deposited Hedwig.

`Can I let her out?' Harry asked.

`Of course,' replied Hermione, crossing to the window and opening it for Hedwig to soar out. She encircled Hermione one before hooting gleefully out of the window.

Hermione still looked anxious, the tips of her fingers fidgeting against each other.

`You don't mind staying here, do you Harry,' she asked gently.

`I think its great,' Harry smiled at her, `I like the room. Better than Dudley's second-hand room I get at Privet Drive. And I love that I'm with you. Sorry If I seem a bit awkward or anything, its just that I'm so happy to be away from Privet Drive and back with friends I just think I'm going to wake up soon and be back there. Trust me, I'm really happy to be here.'

`You wouldn't rather be at the Burrow?' Hermione asked tentatively.

Harry thought. It was a good question. Why had Dumbledore decided the Granger's was the better place for him? Not that it mattered really. He thought again about Hermione's question and found himself surprised at the answer.

`No, I wouldn't,' Harry replied, `I can't explain it. I don't know…maybe its just…too many people, you know? I'd have Mrs. Weasley fussing over me morning, noon and night, massive worry about the work of the Order, stuff like that. I've got my own troubles, you know. Things I need to work through before I go back to school. And no, don't get excited, it isn't my homework!'

Hermione chanced a giggle; it seemed to relieve her of a weight of nervousness. Soon they were chatting like normal, Hermione running off all the extra work she'd done for almost all their summer homework projects, Harry moaning about the horrors of living with the Dursleys, Hermione babbling happily about her obsession with S.P.E.W. Then came the breakthrough Harry was itching for.

`And what about, you know - what happened at the end of last year,' said Hermione slowly.

`I've thought a lot about Sirius,' he said blankly.

`I don't doubt it,' Hermione replied with a look of deepest concern, `And about V-Voldemort?'

`Yeah, him to,' Harry replied bluntly, `its been hard, really hard. I'm…well, I've…I mean to say…'

`You don't have to say anything you aren't ready to, Harry?'

`For a while it left a big hole in me,' Harry said as though he hadn't heard her. `I couldn't face it, couldn't face life. But I have to, the prophecy means I have to.'

`What prophecy? The one Neville smashed? You know what it said?'

`Yeah, and I have to tell someone. Perhaps they can make more sense of it that I can. Can you take bad news? Of course you can, you're my best friend and you've had five years practice!' Hermione gave a hollow laugh. `Dumbledore heard the prediction, Trelawney made it to him. I know, she must have had an off day or something,' said Harry to Hermione's look of sheer disbelief. Harry continued, `It said that…well, basically, in the end, either Voldemort or me must die because one of us can't live if the other isn't dead. It means I have to become a murderer, or be murdered by one.'

Hermione wore a look of such horror and mortification that Harry wished at once that he hadn't said anything. Her eyes were sparkling and her lip slightly trembling. Harry felt awful for the first time in hours, which was something of a record.

`I'm sorry, I didn't want to upset you,' Harry said apologetically, `I just had to tell someone. I'm sorry it had to be you.'

`Oh, Harry!' Hermione squealed and she flung her arms around his neck, burying her face into his shoulder, `I'm glad you told me. I assume no-one else knows. Oh, Harry, this is awful. And to think, you've had to go through this alone for a month. What with everything else on top. I'm so ashamed of myself.'

`Why?' Harry said with a laugh, awkwardly patting the back of Hermione's bushy hair.

`I should've known, sh-should've tried to…but I didn't and…a-and you were…all by yourself, with no-one…without me…or anyone,' she added almost as an afterthought.

`I didn't want to burden you,' Harry explained, `You had your holidays to enjoy. You hadn't seen your parents for a year, which was partly my fault because of my hissy fit that ruined your Christmas when you had to come and sort me out.'

`Oh there you go again, trying to be selfless and noble,' Hermione sobbed, `can't you just focus on yourself for once. You're special, Harry, it's about time you took that seriously.'

`You're starting to sound like Dobby,' Harry said warningly.

`Right, come on, pull yourself together, Hermione,' she said to herself. `Lets get your things unpacked and then we can introduce you properly to my parents.'

`I thought they said they practically knew me already,' said Harry. `Was that true, what your mum said in the car?'

`Oh that?' said Hermione blushing furiously and turning away. `She was just teasing, you know what mother's are like.'

`Well, actually, no - I don't.'

Hermione looked mortified. `Oh Harry! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean - `

`Its okay,' he replied. `I cant miss what I never knew. Just come here and help me with this case, it's a bit of a mess.'


-->