Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sixth Year Mutiny by Wizardora
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sixth Year Mutiny

Wizardora

Chapter 31: The Ultimate Betrayal

The words echoed around the Hospital Wing, which Harry noticed was dark and gloomy, something he hadn't realised before. He stared into the darkness as the impact of Hermione's words settled upon him. It had happened, his worst fear had finally been realised. The very thing he had been campaigning for, the action he was champing at the bit to be involved him had finally arrived. And the thought now terrified him.

For in his mind it was a great idea; the thought of glory and the chance to avenge all the innocent lives taken by Voldemort and his supporters. But it was dream glory, the kind that came in movies where the threat wasn't real and where the dead people came back to life when the director shouted `cut'. But that wasn't the case here and as Harry tried to accept the reality his fear grew steadily.

Harry glanced past Hermione and Dumbledore to the door of the Hospital Wing where the faint sounds of distant voices trickled through the shadows. Mad-Eye Moody, wand drawn and magical eye spinning crazily, was stationed in the doorway. He turned to Dumbledore, his crooked face thrown into stark relief by the moonlight shining through the windows.

`Dumbledore,' growled Moody, `You'd better hurry this up. Get Potter out of bed and lets go. Sounds like our secret's out.'

`Of course, Alastor,' said Dumbledore without the slightest trace of the urgency betrayed by Moody. `Harry, if you'd like to get up and come with us. Make haste if you please, time is short.'

`Why is time short?' asked Harry as he rose gingerly from his bed.

`Here, put this on,' said Hermione forcing his Hogwarts robes roughly over his head.

`Ouch, Hermione!' said Harry. `I can dress myself you know!'

Hermione looked slightly hurt but Harry turned to Dumbledore again.

`Why is time short, sir?' he asked again.

`Because, Potter,' snapped Snape, `the school is in the throes of this "civil war" as Miss Granger termed it. It would appear that the Dark Lord's plans centre on Hogwarts, or at least it is of great importance to him. During your little snooze the school has become less of an educational institution and more of a battleground with those still inside entrenched in the conflict.'

`When the signs were that Lord Voldemort had fixed his gaze on Hogwarts then we managed to get most of the students out. However, some of the older ones wanted to stay,' said Dumbledore.

`Why?'

`Well, some had family or friends staying to help the Order and they couldn't stand the thought of abandoning them. Some just didn't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight.'

`So have all of the Order members come here?' Harry asked.

`Most of them,' said Dumbledore. `We also have a few Aurors with us too, they will be handy, as well as some people who fancied joining the struggle.'

`Like who?'

`My entire family,' said Ron enthusiastically. `Dad has to stay at work but Bill, Charlie, Fred and George are here.'

`Dumbledore!' hissed Moody impatiently from the doorway.

`Yes, of course. Harry, are you ready?' asked Dumbledore. Harry nodded as Hermione handed him his wand.

`You're going to need this,' she said shakily. Harry noticed her robes were torn around her hip and she had several singe marks on one side of her face. Harry looked at all of them in turn; Moody was his usual mangled self but Ron looked like he had been cut on his forehead several days ago and hadn't been able to heal the wound and even Snape had a deep cut on his ear. Dumbledore, it seemed, was the only one unharmed.

`Why would I need my wand now?' Harry asked as he took it from Hermione's fingers.

`The thing is Harry,' interjected Dumbledore, `is that the school is a battleground and as such is divided into sections. The enemy recently took control of this section of the building and now control it. As far as we can tell they never entered the Hospital Wing, that's probably why you are still alive.'

`We've been trying to get to you for a couple of days,' said Hermione, whose frightened look betrayed that she had been obsessed with this subject for some time. `We were so worried. We thought we might be too late, hat you might've….'

She didn't seem able to form the words but a crash from outside the door prevented Harry saying or doing anything to console her.

`They're here!' cried Moody, `wands out! Now!'

Moody fearlessly kicked open the door and started firing spells into the corridor with a speed and frequency that belied the age of the man. Dumbledore and Snape charged to the front as Ron and Hermione formed a barrier in front of Harry.

`What are you two playing at?' Harry cried.

`You're too important, Harry,' said Hermione steely.

`Yeah,' added Ron. `In the end, you're the one that has to defeat You-Know-Who, so if we have to fall to keep you alive that's what we're going to do.'

Harry wanted to tell Ron to shut up and stop talking rubbish but Dumbledore beckoned them to follow him out of the Hospital Wing and talking ceased. When they reached the corridor the reality of what was happening hit home for Harry. The stone walls were bedecked with scorch marks and piles of rubble dotted the passage at irregular intervals. Several of the brackets that housed the torches, which were not alight, had been smashed from their hangings and some littered the floor while others hung precariously from the crumbling brick around them, waiting to join the debris in the corridor. There were the echoes of shouting above and below, and in all directions, the unmistakable sounds of multiple spells discharging and the whole place reeked with the nauseating odour of gasoline.

Harry followed Hermione and Ron as they darted along the corridor. For some reason Harry had bent down while running as if to avoid the dangers that he was sure were lurking in the Hogwarts shadows. They turned a corner, Harry heard Moody yell like a pirate and fire a spell at something. A dull thud reverberated along the gloom to Harry's ears as Moody proudly proclaimed that he had `got one'.

They hurried along this new corridor, Harry unable to work out where they were in the dark. Moody was leading the way with his wand lit and his wooden leg clunking so loudly that any stealth tactic was completely useless. The wand light was bright but the shadows on the periphery were dangerous and daunting. The sound of footsteps behind caused all the group to stop and Harry felt a hand push him hard against the wall and Hermione resumed her position of bodyguard in front of him, pinning him to the stone. At any other time…Harry thought mischievously…

`Don't move, Potter,' snarled Snape, evidently it was his arm that had pushed him into the wall.

`Shift it, Snape,' growled Moody as his wand cast a light down the dark corridor.

`Don't shoot, Mad-Eye. Its us!'

The unmistakable voice of Fred Weasley sliced through the light as he and his brother George hurried up to the group. Their wands were now also alight.

`Hey there Harry,' said George, `you two couldn't have waited till you were alone could you?'

`Yeah,' added Fred turning his light on Harry and Hermione, `its just we're all a bit busy at the moment and could do without being sick for the time being.'

`Ah, the beauty of young love,' said George reminiscently.

`Yes,' added Fred in the same dreamy tone, `do you remember it George?'

`No. You?'

`Nope. Too disgusting for my tastes.'

`If you've quite finished,' hissed Moody, `maybe you haven't noticed we're still behind enemy lines and this nonsense chatter is endangering out lives.'

`Then lead the way Mad-Eye,' said Fred jovially.

`Oh yes, and do get a move on,' added George conversationally, `we've just got away from six or seven of the "enemy" and they're right on our tails. Probably following your clunk just like we did.'

`Right,' said Moody commandingly, `rearrange. Snape, you and Dumbledore to the back, me and the twins up front, Potter you stay in the middle. Right, move now.'

The group shuffled around and Harry felt himself shunted in between Snape and Hermione as the party began to hurry forwards again. They twisted and turned down blind, dark corridors following Moody's clunking wooden leg. Harry caught sight of a few things he recognised and knew they were heading towards Gryffindor Tower. There was the staircase, just up ahead but instead of racing towards it Moody called the group to a halt.

`Right, the stairs are up there and they're guarded. We've got our people there but the scum are around, in force, too. There's only one way to get up there, just run and pray. We'll do it in two's with me and little Weasley first. C'mon, laddie.'

Moody edged forward, his head swinging from left to right, assessing the scene. He then took Ron by the scruff of the neck and thrust him forward. They were a few strides out when the first few spells flew across the cavernous hall that housed the stairs. Moody pushed Ron forwards and he ran up the stairs, dodging a few jets of purple sparks. Moody stumbled after Ron, aiming a few spells towards the enemy as well as a few choice words.

Ron stopped inside the alcove that led to Gryffindor Tower and began shooting spells into the random shadows on the far side of the hall. Moody joined him and Harry noticed a few jets of silver sparks from two people he didn't know alongside Moody. Harry watched as the Weasley twins scampered across the landing and up the stairs, firing spells towards the enemy as if they had water pistols in a playground game. Harry knew he was next and Dumbledore ushered he and Hermione to the end of the corridor.

`Right, Harry,' said Dumbledore, the slightest hint of apprehension in his voice, `when I say, run up to the others. Don't look back, just go. Ready? NOW!'

Harry raced blindly into the hall, Hermione just behind him. He was engulfed by a crossfire of many coloured jets of lights as spells whizzed passed him from what seemed like every angle. Harry felt his legs like jelly as he ran across, ducking and dodging the streams of light and hoping that nobody was hit. He looked up and could see the Weasleys mouthing for him to make it, though he could barely hear them. The whole situation had become surreal and slow-motioned and Harry closed his eyes. It was as a bad mistke as he trod on the hem of his robes, stumbled and fell to the floor.

Harry looked back and saw Hermione stop to avoid tripping herself, but as she did a blast shot from a wand in the shadows and she was hit, toppling ominously towards the side of the staircase. Harry watched in horror, knowing full well what was going to happen but being powerless to stop it. Hermione hit the edge of the stairs in slow-motion and edged, almost gracefully over the stone bannister and fell into the gloom below.

Harry tried to cry out but was grabbed by a pair of strong hands from behind and dragged upwards. He looked into the face of Kingsley Shacklebolt, lined and frowning as he dragged him to safety. Harry stared into the darkness where Hermione had fallen and made to go back there, as if he could catch her before she fell.

`Harry, get back here,' shouted Moody.

`She's gone,' said Kingsley bleakly.

But she wasn't gone. She couldn't be. Harry looked hopelessly at Dumbledore as he and Snape strode almost nonchalantly across the staircase and joined them in the alcove leading to Gryffindor Tower.

`Sir!' said Harry desperately.

`There's no time, Harry,' said Dumbledore seriously, `all may not be lost. I managed to cushion Miss Granger's landing but she is on the ground floor and that's no-mans land. Its one of the most dangerous places in the school.'

`I'll go,' said Harry without thinking.

`I'll come with you,' said Ron and, with warnings to be careful from Dumbledore, both raced back across the stairs and headed towards the main stairway that led directly into the Entrance Hall on the ground floor.

Harry stopped halfway down the staircase and pulled Ron against the wall into the shadows. For on the ground floor two figures were lurking by the door, silhouetted by the light from outside. Hermione was hidden in the shadows cast by the high stone banister of the main staircase and Harry could just about make her out. He and Ron edged down the stairs slowly and silently, Harry feeling his heart beating loud and painfully beneath his ribs.

They stopped on the last step, waiting with held breath for the two door guards to turn away before they scuttled around the side and to Hermione. She was out cold and as Harry cupped her head in his hands he felt a lump blooming on the back of it. He and Ron threw one of Hermione's arms over each of their shoulders and pulled her limp form back to the foot of the stairs.

Again they waited, patiently and silently as the two wizards at the main doors stood and looked into the gloom inside the high room that was the Entrance Hall. Harry felt his mouth dry and itchy as he waited again in the shadows. The two men peered into the empty hall as if aware that they weren't the only people there. Eventually, though, they decided it was empty and finally turned away.

Harry surged forward, taking Ron a little by surprise and the pair of them hauled Hermione up the stairs. They were nearly at the top when Harry heard voices from the bottom; they had been spotted. The two angry voices sailed past them as the two door guards hurtled up the stairs in pursuit. Harry urged Ron forwards and they hurried along the corridor until they came to a fork.

`Left or right?' Harry asked desperately.

`How about in here?' Ron said motioning to an empty classroom just behind them. Harry thought this was a strange choice but followed Ron as they eased into the room and closed the door silently behind them. They slumped Hermione down against a desk against one wall and waited with their wands drawn.

The door creaked open slowly and Harry saw a wand tip edge through the crack and fire a spell at Ron that he couldn't hear. It didn't seem to have much of an effect and Harry was glad that whoever shot it must have gotten the spell wrong.

`Are you ok?' Harry asked Ron.

`Sorry, Harry,' said Ron mournfully.

`For what?' Harry asked suspiciously, slightly taken aback by Ron's tone. He looked into his eyes and suddenly saw them fog over with a lifeless black film. He had a shot of expectancy as to what would happen next, but couldn't react to it.

`For this, Harry,' said Ron answering Harry's question before turning his wand on him. `Expelliarmus!'

Harry felt the force of the spell hit him in the ribs and he soared through the air and into the wall as the door opened. His wand span away and was caught by Ron, who pocketed it and turned to the door. The person who walked through it was one of the last people Harry wanted to see.

`Hello,' said a dreamy voice. It was Luna.

`You!' Harry spat.

`Me,' said Luna lightly. `I'd love to chat, Harry, but Ronald and I have work to do. Ronald, do the honours.'

Ron nodded obediently and conjured ropes from thin air and bound them tightly around Harry, who wondered where Ron had acquired the power and knowledge to perform such a spell.

`Voldemort too cowardly to come and kill me himself is he?' Harry snarled, trying to buy time as much as anything.

`Why would he want to do that?' Luna asked pleasantly. `It isn't time for that yet. He wants to hurt you first. It gives the Dark Lord great pleasure to see you squirm.'

`Then why doesn't he come here to hurt me himself? Why does he have to use tricks and games to get to me? Too scared of Dumbledore is he?'

Harry saw Luna shudder at the sound of Dumbledore's name, the way most people in the magical world did when someone mentioned Voldemort.

`You are so two-dimensional, Harry,' said Luna vaguely. `There are more ways to hurt someone than with physical pain. The Dark Lord may not hold much stock of emotions himself but he realises that others do and that this allows them to be exploited, just like this.'

Harry was sure his heart stopped. He suddenly realised what was going on, what was going to happen but was again helpless to stop it.

`No! Leave her alone,' Harry cried as Luna strode towards Hermione. `Ron! Wake up! You cant let her do this. You have to fight it!'

`Sorry, Harry,' was all Ron could say, he sounded like a recording.

`I'm tired of listening to you,' said Luna in a sing song voice as she aimed a curse at Harry's face. Next thing he knew was that he was gagged, struggling to breathe through his nose. `That's better. Now Ron, help me please.'

Ron and Luna hauled Hermione to her feet and dragged her to the far wall and Harry suddenly clicked as to where they were. This was the room in which he'd seen Ginny disappear through a wall, though it was the one opposite the one to which Luna and Ron were now facing.

`Say goodbye to Hermione,' said Luna happily as she pointed her wand at the wall, `Metaportus!'

The wall glowed a dull blue for a second before Luna turned to Ron.

`You're use is now done,' she said, `but I like you too much to hurt you that badly, though I know my Lord will punish me for it. Stupefy!'

Ron flew back and through the wall Ginny and fallen through. Luna looked mildly surprised.

`Hmm, that's odd. Bye Harry,' she said before disappearing through the wall as the classroom door was blasted open. It was Fred and George.

`Harry! Where's Ron?' said Fred as George ripped off Harry's binds.

`Dunno,' said Harry gloomily.

`And Hermione?'

`Through the wall,' said Harry pointing.

Fred strode up to the wall. It was solid again but his hand vanished through the wall opposite.

`Did Ron go through this one?' Fred asked. Harry nodded.

`Well then,' said George getting to his feet, `lets find the little traitor.'

Harry got up and followed them heartlessly to the wall. On the count of three they all fell through the cold stone, Harry feeling his heart had died. Hermione was gone forever.


-->