Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Sixth Year Mutiny by Wizardora
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Sixth Year Mutiny

Wizardora

Chapter 28: The Room of Souls

The shadowy version of Lily Potter put her hands in front of her mouth and gave a small sob, reminding Harry strongly of Hermione's reaction every time Harry nearly lost his life. Harry's mother seemed too overcome by the whole situation and retreated to her husband, burying her head on his shoulder as his arm slipped around her neck. He, too, appeared so moved by what was going on that all he could do was smile at Harry, though he suspected smoky tears were behind those glasses.

Harry looked towards Sirius, then at Lupin, before finally turning to Dumbledore. He wore a look of expectation, as though he was to be thanked for bringing Harry to this bizarre, but fascinating place. Harry himself, though, was feeling a mixture of contained elation but disturbed by the images of the people before him. True, he would have given anything for the chance to see each and every one of these people again; but now he was faced with them, he wasn't sure how to react.

'Well, Harry,' said Dumbledore presently, 'what do you think?'

'What is this place?' Harry asked.

'This is known as the Room of Souls,' said Dumbledore, 'as I said before, the learned wizards who work here managed to enchant it to enhance its reception of psychic vibrations. It allows the souls of those passed to speak with those living. I thought it was time you met your parents.'

Harry turned nervously towards his ghostly parents as they, in turn, moved to face him. He slinked forward, wondering how it was that his feet felt like they had grown several sizes. Eventually, he found himself right in front of his parents, shaking slightly as he looked at them for the first time. Before he had time to register what their expressions were both his mother and father drew him into a hug.

It was a strange sensation; on the one hand the feeling was like being engulfed by liquid nitrogen, cold and breezy, but on the other he knew that his parents were embracing him and this gave Harry the kind of warmth he normally only felt whenever he was near Hermione. Harry hadn't expected these ghostly, smoky versions of his parents to be solid either, not that he was complaining.

'Oh, Harry, Harry!' sobbed Harry's mother, 'I've waited so long for this! I've missed you so very much. Watching from where we are just isn't the same. Having to watch you deal with all the things you've had to after we were killed, and dealing with them alone…or mostly alone. I'll not forgive my sister for the way she has treated you. I knew she was heartless but never that bad. Every time she locked you in that cupboard I tried to convince your father to let me take out a temporary poltergeist license so I could haunt her for a bit. I'm so sorry Harry.'

'For what…mum?' said Harry, still finding it hard to adjust to using this word.

'For being so weak, for not being prepared. For leaving you in this world alone.'

'Now Lily,' said Harry's father, 'that's just ridiculous. We couldn't have been more prepared. But we were betrayed and out precautions were useless. If its anyone's fault, its mine. I'm the one who convinced you to use Peter as our Secret Keeper. If I hadn't…'

'Stop it, both of you,' said Harry sternly. 'There is only one person responsible for this…Lord Voldemort.'

Harry saw the smoky, blurry faces of his father and mother look at him in admiration, much the way Ron did when he thought Harry brave enough to speak Voldemort's name.

'I'm not afraid of saying his name,' said Harry as he recognized the look on his parent's faces.

'We know, son,' said his father, 'and we're proud of you for that.'

Harry thought his father had a strong and confident voice, matching his appearance and the type of person Harry been told he was. He could see how he and Sirius had been friends as they were very similar in the impression they gave out.

'As far as I'm concerned,' said Harry sharply, 'the only thing that Voldemort did was rob me of my parents. That doesn't qualify him for having his name spoken in fear. Not by my tongue anyway.'

Harry heard his mother give a Hermione-like sob and cover her face with her hands.

'And that's the right way to go,' said James cheerily, 'I was never afraid of old Voldemort and I'd hate to think of my boy fearing him. Especially being the chosen one, eh son?'

Harry felt oddly relaxed as his father spoke of the prophecy. Though his face was swirling with the greyish yellow mist he was made of, Harry knew his father was grinning. Making light of the fact that Harry's destiny was integral to the survival of good wizard-kind had the effect of settling the weight of it in Harry's mind. It made Harry even more sure that he and his father were very alike, and more remorseful that he wasn't around to face it with him.

'I don't think that Harry's destiny is anything to joke about, James,' said Lupin, speaking for the first time. 'How are you Harry?'

'Don't you know?' Harry asked.

'We can see what's going on, and we understand things a little more; we can feel vibrations and things that give us an idea of what's happening, both on a personal level and a more widespread one, but we never know anything for sure. Only true Seers can predict the future, and even then prophecies can be vague and he many meanings of be interpreted in different ways. We can guess what people are thinking and feeling but not much more than we could when we were alive. So, to answer the question, I don't know how you are. I mean, I can feel that your emotions are mixed but your individual thoughts and feelings are known to you alone.'

'Perhaps that isn't entirely true,' said James.

'Yes,' added Sirius, 'we cant forget Hermione Granger. She knows what you're thinking most of the time.'

Harry saw his father and Sirius exchange a significant look.

'But tell us how you feel, Harry,' said Lupin, diverting the conversation away from the potentially embarrassing one.

'Well,' Harry began not really sure what to say, 'I'm feeling a bit guilty, you know about not being able to get back and help you Professor, sir.'

'Please, call me Remus,' smiled Lupin, 'I haven't been your Professor for quite some time now.'

'I don't think I can get used to that,' grinned Harry shyly.

'Regardless,' said Lupin, 'you are not to feel responsible for what happened. There was nothing that could be done. Peter Disapparated right next to me and left at a hurry as soon as that silver hand took my life. It was a planned routine I'm sure. You're to worry about your safety, not blame yourself for my death and go hunting revenge.'

'But nothing seems to be happening, its frustrating,' Harry complained.

'Things are happening, its just a little more covert than you need to know.'

'Exactly,' said Lily sounding anxious, 'we know you want to prove yourself, that you want to help, but you must understand that you aren't the only one working against the dark side. The problem is they are just that…dark, and secretive.'

'Yes,' said Sirius, 'we aren't sure of their numbers, their resources, which creatures Voldemort has lured to his side. Until we do it is just too risky to go for all out open war. We could find ourselves horribly out numbered.'

'And if too many good wizards are killed in a straight fight, or an ambush, then who's left to defend the wizarding world as it is? That's why we have to be cautious, to be patient. I know its hard, you want to act but you can't. Just realise that it isn't as black and white as that.'

'Things are now in motion, though,' added Dumbledore, 'that will hopefully show us just what we are up against. I wont say any more, but things are happening. We have been dormant for too long.'

'But Dumbledore,' said Sirius pointedly, 'I know you didn't bring Harry here to tlk shop. Let him have some time with his parents. The fight with Voldemort will still be waiting when you leave.'

'You are perfectly right, Sirius,' sighed Dumbledore, 'Harry…your parents await you!'

Harry walked to his parents, shivering slightly as his mother placed a chilly, smoky hand around his shoulders. They talked and talked, for what seemed like hours. Harry's parents were keen to talk to him out school, his mother saying how he needed to try a little harder and his dad saying he needed to do less revision and play more Quidditch, a piece of advice his wife scowled at.

They talked about all the events of the last six years, from Harry facing Quirrell to the things going on at Hogwarts at this very moment. Harry thought his mother acted like a strange Hermione doppleganger to each piece of history that involved Harry getting hurt, Harry nearly getting hurt or Harry nearly loosing life of limb. She gasped and cringed and hugged him tightly, even though she had seen all this happening she had never been able to comfort her son when he needed it.

'It's a good job you have such good friends,' said Lily, 'especially Hermione. We really like her, don't we James?'

'Oh yes, she's very nice Harry,' said James with a grin, 'we approve of her, just in case you were wondering.'

Harry's eyes went wide as the realisation of what his father could have meant hit him. Harry suddenly thought that if his parents could see everything he did then that would include everything with Hermione. His father seemed to read his thoughts.

'Don't worry about it, Harry,' smiled James, 'we close our eyes to some things you do. And I'm quite glad we do to be honest.'

They talked again for quite a while before Dumbledore said it was late and high time he took Harry back to school.

'Yes, you're right,' said James sadly, 'my energy is sapping fast too. I need to recharge. Just remember what we said Harry; keep an eye on your friend, Ron. He isn't out of the woods yet and he my have a part to play before this tale is over.'

'I'll keep an eye on him,' said Harry.

'And one more thing,' added James, 'make sure you flatter Ravenclaw in your next Quidditch match. That last game against Slytherin…it even hurt where we are!'

Harry gave his mother one last hug, shook hands with Sirius and Lupin before following Dumbledore out of the room. They were soon clinking back up the floors in the rickety elevator.

'You're very quiet Harry,' Dumbledore commented.

'Just thoughtful, sir,' replied Harry vaguely.

'About anything fun?' Dumbledore asked hopefully.

'Why did you take me there?' Harry asked, 'I'm glad you did, really glad. But, I'm just wondering why.'

'You've had so much heartache and loss in your life, and quiet a lot of it recently. I've been saving this trip until I felt you really couldn't do without it. Of course, I hadn't planned Sirius and Remus needing to be there, but that's life. Or death. I just get the impression that you needed to siphon off some stress, some of the pressure on your mind. Did you?'

'Yes,' said Harry enthusiastically, 'loads. I really wanted to see Professor Lupin and Sirius, they put my mind at rest on some things. Then there was my parents, it was good to finally meet them!'

Dumbledore appeared unsure as to how best to answer this comment from Harry and so remained silent. Harry, for his part, was too engaged with the thoughts of his parents, their dire warnings about Ron still ringing in his ears. The silent blandness of the Ministry reception did nothing to distract his thoughts and it was only Dumbledore's insistence that Harry take the portkey back with him to Hogwarts that snapped him out of his reverie. He didn't much fancy sleeping like a bum on the side of the Fountain of Magical Brethren.

Dumbledore bade Harry a cheery goodnight at the foot of the spiral staircase leading to his office. The clang of the stone gargoyle slamming shut ricocheted into the dim gloom of the Hogwarts corridor, bringing home to Harry the fact that it was probably quite late. He strode along the deserted corridors, peering over a banister to find the Great Hall dark and empty. How long had he been gone?

The Fat Lady was asleep in her portrait but did open with a grumble when Harry gave the password, which had been changed to 'Hearts and Flowers' with the approaching advent of Valentine's Day. It was thoughts about this day, now just a fortnight away, that got Harry thinking first of all about the debacle that was last Valentine's Day, and the approaching one, which he was looking forward to spending with Hermione, but now equally dreading; it was embarrassing enough being all gushy and lovey-dovey, but now he knew his parents were watching over him. It was enough to drive a person mad with paranoia.

The common room was dark and quiet, embers bristling in the fireplace, their extremely dull light barely more illuminating than the moonbeam shining through the window. Harry saw a figure, only just silhouetted against the ember glow. It was Hermione, curled up fast asleep with a thick book curled up in her lap. Harry tip-toed over to her and lifted the heavy volume from her legs; she didn't even stir.

Harry looked at the title of the book, 'Everything You Need to Get Your Dream Man and What to do in Order to Keep Him.' It was a strange book for her to be reading, hardly one that would ever make it onto the Hogwarts book lists. He supposed this was how he had been ensnared by her. She had placed page markers at various places in the book and Harry was about to flick through them, see if he'd been a victim of one of them when he heard Hermione cry frantically, 'Accio Book!' She had awoken silently behind him and judging from the look of shame and horror on her face had immediately wanted her manual back.

'Well, does any of that stuff work?' Harry grinned.

'What? Oh, well,' Hermione blushed furiously, evident even in the shadowy light, 'it got you didn't it?' She sounded tired and yawned widely. 'How did Occlumency go? You're very late.'

'I didn't have Occlumency,' said Harry as Hermione yawned like a cat, 'Dumbledore took me somewhere.'

'Really? Wh-Wh-Where?' said Hermione with her biggest yawn yet.

'I'll tell you in the morning. Go to bed, you look shattered.'

'Well, that's my lot isn't it?' said Hermione tiredly.

'What do you mean?'

'Well, I spend half my life waiting for you. Not that I'm complaining. I mean, you always come to me in the end. It just means that every now and then when you go for night time jaunts I have to have a few sleepless nights waiting up for you. Even when I go to bed, I make sure I'm the last one to go up and I cant sleep until I hear that loud door of your dormitory slam. Then I know you're back. Cos its at the top of the tower I can hear it across in my dormitory. It's handy, really.'

'Well, I'm back safe and sound so you can go to bed now,' said Harry, who was feeling rather exhausted himself.

'Ok, night,' said Hermione as she gave Harry a tired and awkward peck on the cheek.

'Oh, by the way,' said Harry unable to resist, 'my mum and dad said they approve of you.'

'Huh?' said Hermione, looking as though sleep deprivation had affected her powers of comprehension.

'That's where Dumbledore took me, to see my mum and dad in this room at the Department of Mysteries. Goodnight.'

And Harry took off up the stairs before Hermione had a chance to haul him back.

Breakfast the next morning was an interesting affair as Hermione looking extremely apprehensive and tired, explaining to Harry that she hadn't slept a wink after what he'd said to her. This made him feel extremely guilty, but he forgot all that as he tore into a recount of the story of what had happened. Hermione looked a bit disturbed by the whole thing and only looked remotely happy when Harry said again that his parents liked her. She seemed obsessed with this piece of information.

'So, they actually said they approved of me?' she asked for the third time, by which time they were in Transfiguration turning fireflies into cigarette lighters. 'They think I'm good enough for you.'

'More or less,' said Harry evasively, taking cruel pleasure in teasing Hermione.

'Don't be so vague, Harry, I need to know!'

Yes, ok,' said Harry emphatically, feeling sorry for Hermione's tone of complete desperation, 'they said they really liked you and that they were glad we are together. My dad said I had good taste and my mum said she was glad I choose a girl who could look after me, who had my best interests at heart. And you know the old saying, mum knows best!'

Hermione was nothing short of exuberant for the rest of the day, becoming so inattentive that she set fire to Dean Thomas' schoolbag when her firefly went schizo. She was so energised that Snape even warned her that he would force feed her a quantity of the Draught of Peace if she didn't calm down and stop rabbitting away in his class. By lunch she was in a world of her own, the vouch given by Harry's parents having the effect of sending Hermione into a confidence level Harry had never seen in her. She took to shouting advice on homework down the table to people discussing it and being impervious to their shouts back to keep to her own business and stop rubbing it in that she was so brainy.

It took several days for Hermione's high spirits to calm down, though she was still bouncing about as though on happy pills. It was just when Harry thought the worst was over, he had grown wary of Hermione's tendency to swing him into an embrace at the times he was least expecting it and nearly ripping his head off, that her exuberance returned in full force. Notices had gone up on the boards in all the common rooms of the four houses.

HOGSMEADE VALENTINES WEEKEND

FEBRUARY 14th AND 15th

PERMISSION SLIPS TO BE SIGNED BY HOSUE HEADS

EXISTING SLIPS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM MR FILCH FOR

RE-SIGNING. MUST BE SIGNED NO LATER THAN FEB 13TH

SIGNED: Prof. M. McGonagall

This sent Hermione into woman-on-a-mission mode. All she could talk about was what she was going to wear (Harry liked some of these ideas), what they were going to do (Harry had a few ideas of his own on this one) and where they were going to go (Harry had the sinking feeling Hermione might want to visit Madame Puddifoot's teashop for real this time).

'She's gone mad!' said Ron exasperatedly as Hermione nipped into the girls' bathroom and Ron and Harry loitered shiftily outside.

'I know,' sighed Harry, 'still, at least she's happy. You going with anyone?'

'Dunno,' said Ron evasively, 'I doubt it.'

Harry didn't believe him but didn't have much time to pres him as a voice rang out down the corridor.

'Ron? Ron Weasley?'

It was Colin Creevey, still as mad as ever.

'Hiya Harry!' beamed Colin. 'You're Ron Weasley aren't you?'

'Last time I checked,' smirked Ron.

'Oh good,' said Colin, missing Ron's sarcasm, 'only I've got a message for you.'

'Ok…can I have it then?'

'Oh, yeah…sorry. Professor McGonagall sent me. They want you and Harry and Hermione Granger to go to the Hospital Wing immediately to see Dumbledore.'

'Why?' Ron asked impatiently.

'Not sure really. They just said it was important and urgent.'

'Anything else?' Harry asked sternly. 'Did they say anything else, Colin?'

'Yeah, yeah they did. Its your sister, Ginny.'

'What about her?'

'She's woken up.'


-->