Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magical Reunion by alayneni
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magical Reunion

alayneni

An: Thanks for the reviews. I believe I responded to all. Thanks to my lovely beta for helping with this chapter. Please feel free to ask questions in your reviews.

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter

Chapter 3 - A Guided Tour Through Vegas

Danny stood outside Hermione's door for a second before he knocked. He waited for a few more seconds before she answered the door.

"I see that my tour guide is right on time. So what's the plan for today?" Hermione asked curiously.

Danny stared at her. She was wearing tight fitting black jeans with a red halter-top. Her hair was still in the tight bun but she looked absolutely gorgeous.

"Uhm, I thought we could do some of the stuff you said you wanted to see as well as a few other spots." Danny said trying to regain his composure.

"Sounds great. Let's get going." Hermione said as she grabbed her room card and purse.

They headed downstairs and out to the car park silently. Hermione stared at his yellow and black Camaro.

"What?" Danny questioned

"That looks like a fast car." Hermione said

"Oh she is." Danny said proudly.

"I don't like going fast." Hermione responded.

"Don't worry. She can also go slowly. It's all up to the driver." Danny said as he winked at her.

He opened the door and Hermione hesitated a bit before getting in. They started with a simple drive down the strip with Danny pointing out the various hotels and structures. They grabbed a bite to eat at Lucky Burger before they headed out to the place that was at the top of her list, The Hoover Dam. Hermione stared in wonder at it. The sun was setting and it was the most beautiful sight. Hermione began to talk about the history of the dam and how it was built. She related everything she had read about the dam to Danny. She even started talking about the environmental impact of the dam. Danny got very bored with her long monologue and desperately wanted to change the subject. They walked around for a bit and Danny told her many stories about his childhood in Las Vegas.

"Danny, you keep mentioning Mary, is she your wife?" Hermione asked him curiously.

Danny looked at her strangely.

"You keep telling me about things you did with her when you were growing up and what she still likes to do. Every sentence has Mary in it. I just assumed that she was a very special person to you." Hermione explained when she sensed that she might have asked the wrong question.

Danny still hadn't answered her. Hermione began to feel uncomfortable. She had let her curious side take control and now it had ruined the night.

"It's getting late maybe we should head back." Hermione said

Danny nodded and they headed back to the car. They silently got in and Danny put the key in the ignition but stopped and turned to look at Hermione before turning on the engine.

"Why did you assume she might be my wife and not my sister? I did say we grew up together." Danny asked

"You spoke about her as if she were a lover and not a sister." Hermione responded carefully.

Danny stared at the steering wheel in front of him.

"We used to engaged." Danny said sadly.

"Oh." Hermione said as she realised that she did actually put her foot in her mouth when she asked that question.

"No, it's ok. I have accepted the fact that she gave me back the ring." Danny said

Hermione wasn't exactly sure what to do but she knew with Harry that it was always best for him to talk things through so she decided to try that approach with Danny.

"She gave you back the ring?" Hermione questioned.

"Yes. It's been about a year now. We used to be best friends but right now we're barely a resemblance of what we used to be." Danny said

Hermione nodded her head and encouraged him to continue.

"She found someone else shortly after and they started going out. She even moved in with him. I also saw someone I like but it didn't work out. Her relationship ended today and she's staying at the Montecito. Actually she's on your floor." Danny said with a small smile.

"So you'll be seeing her more than usual now?" Hermione questioned

Danny looked at her confused. "Why would you say that?"

"Isn't it obvious? Since she's staying at the Montecito and you work there, you'll at least cross paths more often." Hermione said

"I see her everyday." Danny said

"You do?" Hermione asked.

"Yes she works at the Montecito." Danny answered.

"She works at the Montecito also?" Hermione asked a bit shocked.

"Yes she's the Special Events Coordinator. Oh, I forgot you came in early and went to sleep. She was supposed to be the person checking you in and giving you your registration forms and arrival packages for the reunion." Danny said.

"I guess I'll meet her tomorrow when I register. What's she like?" Hermione asked.

"Mary is the most wonderful person you could ever meet. She is kind hearted and always tries to do what's right. In the short time I have known you, I think you remind me a lot of her!" Danny told her.

"Ah I see." Hermione said as she bit her bottom lip contemplating if to ask him the next question.

"Just ask it. I'm in security I can tell when people want to say something." Danny said as he levelled his gaze at her.

"Do you still love her?" Hermione asked

Danny wasn't expecting this question. He thought she was just going to ask more about her similarity to Mary.

"Yes." Danny admitted softly

"Why don't you tell her?" Hermione asked softly.

"I think I did that when I proposed to her." Danny snapped.

"Ok" Hermione said backing off a little.

"Look, I'm sorry. It's just that when she first gave me back the ring. I thought about what I might have done wrong. I wondered what it was that scared her away. I went over every single detail. I don't know why she gave it back to me." Danny said.

"Tell me about it. Maybe an outside eye might help." Hermione said

"It's a long story." Danny said

"It's ok. I think we have a long drive back." Hermione said.

"Very well." Danny said as he started the car.

Danny didn't know why but he felt comfortable with Hermione and maybe she just might be able to help him. Danny told Hermione about his life with Mary. He started from when they first became friends at the age of two, to when he proposed to her after returning from the war. He left out no details. He told her about the time he slept with Mary at the end of high school before he went to basic training in the marines. He told her how he slept with her right before he went to war. He told her about how thoughts of Mary were what got him through the war. He told her about his silver star and how he got it during the war. He talked until he had nothing left to say.

"That's quite a history." Hermione said. They had been friends since they were two years old. His friendship with Mary surpassed that of hers and Harry's.

"So what about you? Any boyfriend back home?" Danny asked casually. He had just poured his heart out to her. He at least deserved to hear a bit about her love life.

"No." Hermione said.

She didn't really want to talk much about herself. She found it hard to talk about herself to people who weren't like her. Sure she could easily blend into the muggle world, she was a muggle born after all, but she didn't really fit anymore. Too much details about her life lead to the magical world. Her job, her love life, her hobbies and even her apartment were all in the magical world. She still did muggle things but they were few and far between.

"Why don't you ask her out?" Hermione asked Danny returning the conversation to him and Mary.

"Uhm cause we've been down that road already?" Danny said

"No you asked her to marry you. You never asked her out on a date. You see, you did it back to front. You are supposed to date first, then get engaged, then marry. That is usually the recommended order. You yourself said that she pointed out that you hadn't been on a proper date with her. After that your idea of a date was ice-cream on top of the Montecito. If you want to convert your great friendship into a romance you have to remember to do romantic things with her also." Hermione said

"Yes Ms. Know it all but she gave me back ..."

"No but's Danny. Ask her out. She's single again. And don't use some corny line. Ask her for a cup of coffee or something simple. You're her best friend, you know her better than most, this should be simple for you!"

"Yes, this is so simple. I screwed up the first time around!" Danny pointed out a bit angrily.

"You weren't thinking straight then. War affects you in so many ways. You were simply lost and tried to rush things. Things I believe Mary wasn't ready for. You see Danny sometimes when you dream of something your whole life it feels surreal when it actually happens. I think Mary just freaked out. I don't really think she believed her dream could come true!"

"Don't girls always need time after they break up with someone?" Danny asked

Hermione stopped to think about this one. True Mary did just get out of a relationship with someone and she might want to take a break from disastrous relationships or just jump right back into the dating pool. But if she were like her, Mary might want to wait too long. Hermione hadn't been in a real relationship since she and Ron broke up 3 years ago. They were a terrible couple because they couldn't get over their fighting. They were just too different when it came down to it. That and no matter how hard Hermione tried she couldn't teach Ron manners! She waited about a year after that before she even tried to see anyone. She remembered Ginny had been the one to get her to stop working her butt off and go on a date. But she had nothing solid since Ron. She even tried something with Draco for a week but that had been a miserable failure. Recently, Ginny and Luna had been teasing that since she had already dated Ron and Draco she only had Harry left! Hermione made a mental note to never let what happened to Danny and Mary happen to her and Harry.

But then again Mary wasn't like her. She had moved on right after Danny to Jake.
The main problem with this situation was she only knew Mary through Danny's perspective and in all honesty guys just don't get girls. She would have to meet Mary to determine what Mary was like and if she would go back to Danny at all.

"You know what Danny, lets make this easier on you. How about I talk to Mary. Sort of do some intelligence work and figure out how receptive she'll be." Hermione offered.

"I don't think Mary would .."

"Danny, I have my ways." Hermione said with a smirk.

The rest of the drive was silent. Danny and Hermione headed back to the car and drove back in silence. Danny was lost in thought about what Hermione said. Did he really have a chance to fix his relationship with Mary. He had screwed it up once and there was a huge possibility he could do it again. Would Mary even want to date him? She just ended a relationship with Jake. He still felt that their friendship wasn't exactly what it used to be. But the fact remained that he still loved her.

Danny glanced over at Hermione and he could see she was admiring the Vegas lights.

"The best part of Vegas is at night!" Danny said

Hermione nodded. She was thinking about what to say to Mary. Hermione thought Danny was a good guy and he deserved to be with the one he loved. She had successfully hooked up Ron and Luna and Draco and Ginny, so this shouldn't be too hard. At least she hoped so. Hermione glanced at her watch. The others would be at the hotel now. They were probably looking for her. She hadn't anticipated being gone this long. If she knew Harry at all he would be worried sick about her.

They arrived at the Montecito and Danny parked next to a Hummer.

"Didn't expect to see you here Danny" said an old man walking towards the Hummer.

"Ed!" Danny replied.

"So who's this lovely lady that you got here?" Ed asked charmingly.

"Oh Ed Deline, meet Hermione Granger. She's staying here for that Hogwarts' reunion thing. She was actually going to wonder around Las Vegas by herself so I volunteered to show her around today."

Ed extended his hand and gently shook hers. He subtly looked her up and down.

`Brown hair, warm brown eyes, 5"9', nice body, warm hands, definitely Danny's type!' Ed thought to himself.

"Hermione, Shakespeare isn't it?" Ed asked

"Yes it is." Hermione responded shyly.

"Let me know if Danny mistreats you. I'm his boss and I don't want him giving the Montecito a bad name."

"But I thought Danny was the head of security?" Hermione questioned confused

"Yes he is but I am the President of Operations. Danny has to report to me." Ed said with a smug smile.

"I guess everyone has a boss!" Hermione replied lightly.

"Yes well don't keep Danny up too late. He has to be up early in the morning." Ed said as he got into his Hummer and drove off.

"Nice guy" Hermione said

"Only when he wants to be. Now lets get you inside and to your room before Ed accuses me of messing with the guests." Danny said

"You aren't going to get into trouble are you?" Hermione asked slightly concerned

"Oh no. Don't worry about it. The only trouble I could get into is if Sam and Delinda see me." Danny said.

"Sam and Delinda?" Hermione queried.

"Don't worry about it. You'll meet them soon enough." Danny said.

He wanted to avoid Sam and Delinda. As much as he liked them and got along with them, they would have enjoyed ribbing him about showing one of the guests around. They would think that he had some ulterior motive in showing Hermione around. Ok, well maybe he did find her a bit attractive and everyone knows he is a sucker for beautiful women but he generally felt it wasn't in her best interest to wander around alone.

They went through the front doors and Danny proceeded to escort her to her room.


-->