Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Heir of the Founders by TheColdTurkey
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Heir of the Founders

TheColdTurkey

A/N: Here's the long awaited Wizengamot meeting chapter. I'll try and get it all in one chapter, the meeting proper that is, and the confrontation afterwards between our two main parties will be next chapter.

Some of my scene sections might be a little shorter than most, but it's simply for dropping some plot points and speeding up the action.

I'm not certain if I was clear in the last chapter, but Hermione is worried about something other than the meeting. Just a small little plotpoint that won't have much bearing in the long run, other than giving me something to write about fluff-wise.

Feel free to guess on whom the Heirs might be, or what the deal with Lazarus is, or whatever, I always enjoy seeing your theories and thoughts based on my writings and any possible clues I might leave hidden throughout.

As always, thank you for choosing to read my story.

Chapter 23: The Wizengamot

He ran, as fast as he could he ran. His brother was dead, his parents were dead.

The screams, he could remember the screams more than anything. That and the man's eyes as he hunted them down, those piercing, violet eyes.

He had managed to escape the attack, as suddenly as it had happened. His parents had never stood a chance, their blank stares forever haunting his nightmares. He didn't know how long he had been running since his younger brother died off, it could have just been a few minutes, and it could have been a lifetime for all he knew.

There, in the bush, a snapped stick. He was still hunting him, that man with the piercing violet eyes. He had to get away, find some place where he could hide. Where his friends would be. He desperately tried to think of a place.

The Burrow! He would be safe there for the moment. Ginny would protect him. The great Harry Potter would protect him. Summoning up every ounce of his courage he ran into the night, hoping to Merlin he had chosen the right direction, and that those violet eyes couldn't hunt him down.

/ - / - / - /

Albus Dumbledore was a happy man.

No, scratch that, he was ecstatic.

The plan had been so simple, so obvious, that he had nearly overlooked it. In all of his machinations and long-drawn out affairs, perhaps he had lost appreciation for the sublime ease in which one could operate. He had to smile at how fate had once again twisted itself to meet his needs.

Miss Granger was, in fact, an orphan in the wizarding world. Since she was not yet of age, she would obviously need some kind of guidance in the few months before she turned seventeen, something that, Albus was quite certain, only he could provide. All it would take was a little impassioned speech at the Wizengamot meeting tonight, a grant him custody of the young woman.

With Miss Granger firmly under his control, Dumbledore surmised, one of three things would happen. Perhaps Harry would come in tow with her, after a little heart to heart between Hermione and Albus set things straight between them and Hermione was able to convey those feelings to Harry. If that didn't happen, then Harry would mount some kind of foolish rescue attempt, and Dumbledore could set things right the hard way.

This was of course assuming Hermione came willingly. If she didn't, well there was always the chance of accidents happening to his new young charge. Such was the way of things, after all.

Dumbledore adjusted his robes one final time, confident that things were moving in his direction for the first time in a long time. The robes of a Wizengamot member, when in legislative session, were quite splendid, a long flowing royal purple with white trim and a golden W written on the crest, with whatever families crest etched firmly on the opposite side. He took one last look at himself in his mirror, before heading towards his fireplace. There was a solemn squawk from across his desk and Albus turned to look at Fawkes, who glared at him reproachfully.

"Now don't you start that again you ruddy bird," Dumbledore said with a tiny bit of vitriol in his voice, "I don't want to hear another peep out of you." He turned away, smirking to himself, "It's not as if you can do anything to stop me anyway." Fawkes merely continued to glare, and turned away from him. Albus grabbed a pinch of floo powder from the jar on his mantle and tossed it into the fire. "Ministry for Magic," he shouted as he walked through the emerald green flames.

/ - / - / - /

Draco Malfoy paced back and forth outside the Ministry Building, awaiting the arrival of Caliban in his charmed robes. Caliban had something about needing to tie up a loose end before the meeting that night, which Caliban for some reason was insistent on being near, despite the personal risk to himself. It seemed roughly out of character for him, especially considering how calculating and measured every move he had taken to this point had been.

Still, Draco couldn't help but feel that Caliban had a good reason to do what he did.

In the corner of his mind he felt a small tugging sensation, causing him to turn around. There walking down the street was Caliban, dressed in a style that would not attract attention to anyone who wasn't paying close enough attention. Draco was a bit surprised at how easily he recognized the elder Death Eater and how he had sensed he was coming, but he said nothing about it to himself. Caliban navigated his way towards Draco, a smirk on his face.

"Did you do whatever it was that was so important?" Draco asked, and Caliban nodded, reaching into his belt and handing Draco a small chain.

"Wear this," he instructed, "It will help further your occulumency shields, in case one of the Wizengamot members, such as my father, tries to read you." Draco took the gold chain and glanced it over for a moment. It seemed vaguely familiar, as if he had seen it before, but he wasn't quite sure. He slipped it over his neck and tucked it under his robes, not feeling any different at the moment.

"Where will you be," Draco asked, as Caliban glanced around, searching out for any hidden dangers. He turned and fired off a small smile at Draco.

"So eager to make certain I'm here to bail you out?" Draco scowled, but Caliban simply chuckled, "Rest assured I will be nearby enough should anything unexpected happen. Needless to say, the Dark Lord is interested in the success of this portion of our mission. As I have told you before, should you succeed in ingratiating yourself within the legislative body, then the rewards will be great. Fail….well we won't linger on that possibility." Draco nodded a slight look of worry on his face. "You'd best be on your way. David Parkinson will make certain you successfully ascend to your seat."

Draco turned away, his mind awash with that possibility as he looked down at his hand and saw a silver and platinum ring, with the two metals intertwining around a small amethyst stone. The Malfoy family ring. He let out a sigh as he walked towards the phone booth, entered the code, and descended below to the Ministry.

Caliban simply stood back and watched. Even if nothing else worked, this had to, everything would depend on it.

/ - / - / - /

Augusta Longbottom led her two young charges towards the entryway for the Wizengamot chamber. Harry was clad in the proper robes; all five of his family crests etched onto his breast pocket, while Hermione had been given a proper set of robes to be seated in the gallery, hopefully hidden away from anyone who might want to give her trouble. Seeing her status as the future wife of the Lord Potter, she was allowed the privilege of attending meetings, though not voting at them.

They made their way through a discreet back hallway, hiding away from the rest of the crowd. As they stopped at massive double doors, Augusta turned and looked at the two of them. "Wait here," she instructed, "When I announce you the doors will open and you may proceed." She turned to Hermione, "You can enter the gallery through those side doors. It'd be best if you didn't walk out onto the floor with him."

"Forgive me if this whole thing doesn't sound a bit contrived," Hermione said with a bit of disapproval in her voice. Augusta stood firm, but smiled a small bit.

"Believe me when I told my father the same thing young lady. Things are better than they used to be, however, and perhaps there will be one day when the Wizengamot proper is given to elections like the muggle world. But until such a day, this is the way we have set up our government." She turned and looked at a small clock on the wall. "I should be going, I will summon you shortly."

"Thank you," Harry replied as she turned away, "Thank you for everything." Augusta stopped and closed her eyes.

"It is I who should be thanking you, for everything you have done for my grandson. He is now gaining the confidence he needs to one day lead my family." Augusta turned and glanced at Harry, "And one day, I may call upon you again to help foster that confidence more." Harry nodded his head, and Augusta slightly bowed hers, turning and walking through the doors, shutting them as soon as she entered the chamber.

Hermione and Harry stood in silence, Hermione pacing back and forth for a few moments before heading into the gallery. "Do you think it was wise not to establish your link with the Founders Harry?" she asked, leaning against the wall slightly. Harry thought for a moment, before turning and nodding his head.

"The fewer people who know about that the better. It can be our ace in the hole, so to speak. If all else fails, then I can use that position to force Dumbledore out of Hogwarts, so he can do less harm." He stopped and closed his eyes, rubbing them repeatedly, "No matter what he's done, a small part of me still wants to believe that it wasn't out of spite, that there was some kind of grand plan that we just don't know about yet…." Hermione walked over and gave him a deep hug.

"It's natural Harry, we just want to believe that we can't be used like that." Harry nodded into her shoulder and Hermione leaned forward, giving him a chaste kiss on the forehead, "I should be going," she replied. Harry nodded, giving her a last smile as she went through the side door, leaving him alone to his thoughts for the moment.

Harry stood there for a long time, his mind working in a few hundred different directions. He quieted himself and tried to focus on one thing at a time. Dumbledore could certainly be dealt with later, as he was no longer in a position to influence his life. Once Harry had established himself in the wizarding world that he wouldn't be trifled with any longer, he had no doubt that Voldemort would be quick in attempting to discern his location. The first task would be to train close friends to help him. He knew that Ginny and Ron would be trained in a similar fashion that he and Hermione had done, and he suspected that Neville and Luna would likely join them as well. In all he expected a few people to join him for training, and he would take as many as he could. They needed to be trained, he told himself, in case it was a long time in trying to end this war.

The fact that he had no idea where to begin on finding Voldemort didn't help matters. And the one person he could possibly turn to for help on that matter was pretty much out of the question at the given moment. As much as he hated to admit it, he needed Dumbledore to some degree.

A rustling behind him alerted Harry that he was no longer alone. Quickly he turned and saw the most peculiar sight he had seen in quite some time. There, clad in the same robes as him sans a family crest, was a short little man. All told he looked like Flitwick after being on the receiving end of an Engorgio charm, though with quite a few more wrinkles. His eyes were a slightly glowing yellow, and his mouth was devoid of any teeth. All told he looked like a mummy who had been unwrapped and re-animated. The man hobbled forward, leaning heavily on a large wooden cane that Harry quickly surmised was actually a staff.

"At last I meet the famous…Harry Potter," the old man croaked, offering a hand which Harry shook.

"Do I know you?" Harry asked, not quite shaking the feeling that there was some connection to this man that he couldn't quite muster.

"No," the man said with a smile, "You don't even know my name….or perhaps you do? Nevertheless, it matters not. You may call me Lazarus."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance," Harry said in an even tone. He had a strong vibe of distrust from the man, but the feeling was unlike any he had ever felt before. It was strong, almost overpowering, yet vaguely familiar at the same time.

"Likewise. I trust you will now what to do when the time comes….now if you'll excuse me." Lazarus hobbled off, leaving a rather confused Harry Potter standing there as the old man went through the doors.

As soon as the doors shut, Lazarus turned back and thought to himself, "Merlin help me if I'm wrong."

Harry stared at the doors for a long time, before he heard another body coming. Quickly he ducked behind the entry to the gallery, turning around to see who it was. Much to his surprise, Draco Malfoy was coming down the hallway.

/ - / - / - /

"This session of the Wizengamot will come to order!"

The chamber of the Wizengamot was one of the larger rooms within the entire Ministry complex, with a high vaulted ceiling and several circles of chairs around the spiraled ramp ways that led to a large podium in the center, where currently Albus Dumbledore sat. Off to the side was a large set of double doors, which led to the back entrance to the chamber. Other, smaller entrances were scattered throughout the hall to allow for entrance to family members and invited guests of the body politic. The Wizengamot House of Lords, the body that made the majority of wizarding law, was made up of roughly 30-50 members, including the Minister for Magic and his staff who were automatically granted seats, regardless of family lines. The membership fluctuated as new houses were added and removed from the noble lines based on economic status and any surviving members of that house. Several chairs sat empty, in accordance with houses which were devoid of membership, but had not been expunged from the record due to having been occupied within the last 100 years prior. In the four cardinal directions, four chairs stood in a prominent fashion, signifying the permanent status of the Founders Four of Hogwarts, four witches and wizards who had forever saved the Ministry in the days following the death of Merlin.

Dumbledore sat in the middle as everyone flocked in around him, relishing the attention. He scowled as the Unspeakables contingent filtered in, the three Wizengamot Lords and One Lady whom formed the political arm of the Department of Mysteries. Lazarus grinned at him, only causing Dumbledore to grimace even more. He cleared his mind, ready to begin his newest master stroke.

"Before we move on to business that as Chief Warlock I fear must be addressed, I understand there is a matter of ascension to deal with." He turned towards David Parkinson, a small-minded man with a rather large overbite and thinning black hair, who stood up and approached the podium.

"A young wizard wishes to claim the seat of the House of Malfoy. Though he is not yet of age, the by-laws of this house state that he may be allowed to assume his father's seat because of Lucius Malfoy's arrest and conviction." Dumbledore nodded, the Malfoy seat was rarely vacant because of its by-laws that could even allow a ten-year-old to assume its position, albeit with restrictions.

"Bring the young man forth," Dumbledore motioned, and large double doors opened in front of him. He glanced down at the young Draco Malfoy, and sent a slight probe into the boy's mind to see if he was honest and unlike his father. Surprisingly he felt his probe rejected by an ironclad mind, and Draco looked up at him with a look akin to contempt. Dumbledore readjusted himself in his seat.

"Draco Malfoy….son of Lucius, heir to the House of Malfoy, you are aware that your house has committed severe crimes against this body and its members."

"I am Chief Warlock," Draco answered, bowing his head, "And I humbly submit myself before this august body on behalf of my house, ready to receive whatever punishment you deem fit to give us." Dumbledore internally scoffed, he had no time for this sort of thing. He did notice however a person sitting in the stands that attracted his attention. He tried to concentrate and feel out with his magic, to see if it was who he thought it was, but there were too many people in the room to get a good feeling. Setting it aside however, he looked down at Draco.

"We shall move for reprimand later," he announced, causing a small murmur into the crowd, "For now let it be written that Draco Malfoy is hereby authorized to take the seat of the House of Malfoy….if it is without objection?" There were no voices in dissension, "So mote it be." There was a loud boom, and Draco was ushered to a chair on the left side of Dumbledore, a bit surprised at the lack of punishment for his house, but certainly not cursing his good fortune.

"Now, if we can move on," Dumbledore said, his voice clear, "There has been a great tragedy that has befallen one of the…." There was a quiet cough from below him, causing Dumbledore to turn at the source.

"With apologies Chief Warlock," the Lady Longbottom replied, approaching the podium, "But there is one other matter of ascension to adhere too." Dumbledore internally rolled his eyes while the rest of the crowd murmured, having not been told of any other ascensions for that evening.

"Very well Lady Longbottom, you may speak."

"This man wishes to claim his rightful inheritance, and take his place in our world; a place which I feel is long overdue. He seeks to claim lordship over five houses bereft of lordship."

Several reactions came as a result of this. The majority of the crowd went up in arms at this announcement, given the fact that someone claiming to be the heir of five houses was either a cruel joke or a horrible mistake, though the fact that the Lady Longbottom would stake her family's reputation by bringing someone of this nature forward lent credence to the latter rather than the former. Four of the members sat quietly, not giving away a reaction either way, though Lazarus smiled a bit when he heard the words of five houses bereft of lordship.

Albus Dumbledore suddenly went very pale, and felt the color drain out of his face. He was certain that if he sat there long enough he would begin to feel his heart slow down in his chest. It wasn't the fact that she had proclaimed an heir to 5 houses, it was the way in which she had said it that set off the alarm bells in his mind, whether it was intentional on her part or not. "B-Bring him forward," Dumbledore stated, trying to control himself and hope beyond hope that this wasn't who he thought it was.

It was.

"May I present Harry James Potter, son of James, Proclaimed Heir to the House of Potter, Black, Seldon, Draven & Warrens." There was an uproar from the crowd as Harry entered through the double doors and stood before the assembled body. He approached Dumbledore, who looked as if he had seen a ghost. Dumbledore said nothing, but behind him one of his loyal followers, Alastor Moody, stood up.

"How can he claim lordship over those houses," he bellowed out, "He hasn't reached age yet!"

Harry remained calm, turning towards Mad-Eye and firing him a glare that even made him take a second look. "It is well-known the fact that the goblins may have a say who inherits lines that are bereft of lordship, pursuant to the Articles of Peace established between the International Confederation of Wizards and the Glorious Goblin Nation well over 400 years ago." Above Hermione smiled that Harry had been able to gleam some measure of information from those history of magic lessons after all. "Upon the death of my godfather, Sirius Orion Black, his will was executed, granting me lordship over the House of Black."

Another voice chimed in from the crowd, "Sirius Black was a murderer! You have no right to mention his name in these hallowed halls!"

Harry bit his lip, and fought back the urge to unleash a curse upon the fool of a man who had thrown in their two cents. "Sirius Black was never convicted of any crime, merely sent to Azkaban awaiting a trial that never happened. As such, he was never stripped of his titles and lordships, and his will was never declared null in void. Upon his death he bequeathed the title of Lord Black to me." He paused as the crowd continued to mull about in disbelief, before continuing, "Upon accepting this title, I was in effect declared emancipated," Dumbledore gulped, "and my other titles were passed down to me from my mother and father."

Silence befell the room, as everyone stared at Harry, the boy who had gone from hero to crackpot to savior to adult in less than a year's time. All turned towards Dumbledore, awaiting his next move.

But Dumbledore didn't quite know what to do….his plans were bollocks now. If Harry had a vote on the Wizengamot, let alone five, he didn't have a hope of engaging his latest scheme. Completely powerless to stop things, Dumbledore cursed fate once more and fell back to his default, he'd simply bide his time till the opportunity presented itself.

"Very well," he said in a tone more somber than he would have liked, "Let it be written that Harry James Potter is hereby authorized to assume the seats of the House of Potter, the House of Black, the House of Warrens, the House of Seldon & the House of Draven. If there is no objection…."

"I object!"

There was a loud cry as everyone turned to see Draco Malfoy with his wand pointed straight at Potter. Harry quickly drew his own wand in response, but not before Draco could complete his spell. "SECTUMSEMPRA!". Internally, Draco smiled at the spell that one of his mentors, Severus Snape, had taught him. He would use it on Potter and get out of there before anyone knew what had happened; having single handedly captured the enemy of the Dark Lord.

He didn't count on Harry throwing up a powerful shield wordlessly….or for a stunner to send him flying out of his seat and sprawled out onto the floor. Harry stood up and walked over Malfoy, ripping his sleeve and exposing the dark mark clearly branded on his forearm.

The Aurors were quick to jump into action, moving towards Draco with wands drawn. There was a loud bang however, and a very large plume of smoke that appeared in the middle of the hall, visible to all but Albus Dumbledore, who saw the man in the center. He whispered…"Caliban…"

The smoke dissipated and Harry caught a glimpse of the man who stood between him and Draco, seething with anger as soon as his visage became apparent. It was the man who had killed Molly. Without thinking Harry jumped to his feet and fired the first curse he could think of…"PECTURIS SUBSISTO!" he yelled, and a jagged yellow beam crackling with energy shot out at Caliban. Caliban moved his wand in a circular motion around himself, as he was drawing fire from all sides.

"PROTEGO MAXIMO!" A large dome of light erupted around the two of them protecting Caliban and Draco. Caliban stared straight at Potter, before looking at his father and reaching into his belt, his shield beginning to weaken.

"This is not over!" he shouted, before tossing out a small wooden doll at Harry. "ANIMUS!" he shouted, causing the wooden doll to grow and expand to enormous sizes. Harry jumped back as he saw the rather large golem appear in front of him, cursing himself when he saw Caliban and Draco disapparate from view. The rest of the Wizengamot ran in terror, while Hermione jumped next to him. Harry & Hermione looked at one another and joined hands, intent on giving their magic a little extra boost with a dual spell.

"SIMULA REDUCTO!" The dual blasting curse shot at the ill-formed golem, causing it to explode into a thousand splinters, and scattering all over the hall. When the commotion had died down, and the dust settled, Harry and Hermione stared at the headmaster, daring him to do something to them. Albus simply cleared his throat.

"I suggest we recess till tomorrow evening," this was met with a chorus of nods and echoes of thank Merlins. Dumbledore stood up, brushing himself off as he passed by Harry & Hermione, saying under his breath.

"And you two and I need to have a little chat."

/ - / - / - /

Draco came too in his safe house, completely oblivious to his surroundings, almost instantly he was overcome with excruciating pain, as a cruciatus curse blanketed his body and caused him to convulse violently at the same time.

He did not know how long the curse was held on; time seemed to come to a standstill. He nearly blacked out again. But somehow he managed to maintain his consciousness, and after several minutes was left a quivering mass on the floor, his breath ragged and sweat dripping from his brow. Hesitantly, he looked up seeing Caliban glaring at him.

"You have failed me, young Dragon, for the last time."

Draco swallowed hard, "I was trying to fulfill our mission!" He exclaimed, earning a quick kick to the gut. "If I had succeeded…."

"IF you had succeeded we would not be having this conversation, now would we?" Caliban knelt down in front of Draco. "And to think, I saw some of myself in you. Perhaps it was merely a fool's hope….a belief beyond desire that you would be more like me given your….descent."

Draco's eyes widened and he stared up at Caliban, adrenaline flowing through his veins. Caliban stood up, and Draco forced himself to do the same. "What are you saying?" he demanded to know, his wand hand itching.

"Come now Draco….you wouldn't think that I didn't have my fun before your father as far as your wench of a mother was concerned, now did you?" Draco's eyes darkened, though he winced in pain greatly as he did so. "It was a longshot I admit, but you're taking to occulumency so quickly and your latent ability to sense magic gave me a small sliver of hope."

Draco's wand suddenly found its way to his hand. Caliban looked down at this and smiled, reaching into a side pocket and grabbing something discreetly as he did. "What are you going to do now? Kill me? As if that were possible."

Draco said nothing, merely shaking in a mixture of pain and anger.

"Though it is the only way out. But you and I both know you're incapable of casting a killing curse. You've failed at that twice before."

The words were on Draco's lips….and Caliban stood firm.

"Though I suppose that's enough to expect from a worthless mudblood such as yourself….you shame me Draco….you shame everyone….including your mother…"

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"

The pale green bean shot out of Draco's wand, but Caliban was quicker than Draco's reflexes. In an instant a small gem was between Caliban and the beam, and Draco was forced to his knees as the gem glowed with power and the killing curse shot straight into it. Draco felt his strength leaving him, as he collapsed under the weight of his own curse. After several minutes Draco's wand slipped out of his hands, breaking the connection, and clattered to the floor, practically useless. Draco took several weak breaths, as Caliban merely stood before him, eyeing the gem.

"A rather useful invention I picked up from my time in Egypt," he explained, "This doesn't stop a killing curse; rather it merely absorbs magical energy. It acts for me as a thurmatalogical battery, making my powers far greater than they would be otherwise." He cocked his head as Draco reached for his wand, and Caliban merely kicked it out of the room.

"You've lost Malfoy," he whispered in a quiet voice, "You've lost everything. I admire you for finally being able to show enough backbone to be able to cast a killing curse, you might have had potential." Caliban held his own wand up, a bright green glow at its tip, "Sadly….we will never know it." Caliban pointed his wand right between Draco's eyes….the last thing he remembered was the bright flash of light, and then all Draco Malfoy knew was darkness.

A/N: Well, there's a long chapter done and finished. The long awaited Dumbledore/Harry chat will happen next chapter, as well the beginning of some more training for Harry and his friends.