Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Heir of the Founders by TheColdTurkey
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Heir of the Founders

TheColdTurkey

A/N: I've avoided talking much about the seventh book; simply because I feel nothing more needs to be said. Fanon has and always will be more interesting, and in a lot of cases better written than any of J.K.'s adventures, interesting as they might be (and as well-written as they might have been).

To that end, I hope you will enjoy my own twisted little niche of the Potter Universe. If anyone has been waiting for a verbal smackdown on Dumbledore, you're going to get that in spades this time around. You'll also find out the identity of the person who was being hunted at the beginning of the last chapter, though if you were extra observant, his identity wasn't that difficult to guess. You'll also get a closer look at the workings of the DoM.

Chapter 24: Harry Potter Unbound

Ginny Weasley was waiting with baited breath for the outcome of the Wizengamot session and was hoping that Harry and Hermione would be alright. There wasn't much to do at the moment, her father was currently at the meeting, making sure everything went according to plan, and she was feeling a bit vulnerable, even with Luna and Neville there with three of her brothers.

Ginny sighed and walked towards the window, staring up at the sky. There were things happening here that she didn't quite understand, or at least didn't want to understand. And as selfish as it sounded to her, one of them was the pang of jealousy she felt for Harry & Hermione.

True enough, deep down she pretty much realized that those two would eventually hook up. Still, it didn't make finally burying her childhood crush on the great Harry Potter any easier. As much as she knew she had to move past it, she couldn't help but feel that she might not find anyone who would give her the time of day. Yes, she had dated Michael Corner for a short time, and she had gone on one Hogsmeade date with Dean Thomas, but other than that people gave her a wide berth. Since the whole episode with the Chamber of Secrets, a lot of people still treated her with kid gloves, as if she'd go off the deep end or something.

She smiled as she thought of the boys who didn't treat her that way, and came to Colin Creevey. She liked Colin well enough, but probably not in "that" sort of way, but she could tell that the boy was absolutely smitten with her from his reactions in classes and the like. Show Colin was doing, she hadn't heard from him in a while.

There was a sharp knock at the door, and Ginny turned to see Ron walking in, his head hung a bit low as he glanced at her, taking her silence as permission to enter.

"Ron what's wrong?" she asked, worried that something had gone horribly wrong.

"Everything," he whispered, sitting down in the chair at her desk and placing his head in his hands. There was a long silence before Ron added, "It's funny. I always thought those two would wind up together, but I never believed I'd be this much of a third wheel."

"What are you talking about Ronald?" Ginny said softly, leaning down next to him.

"I know I'm not the brightest guy, or the handsomest or…well…much of anything. But I could always be counted as one of Harry's closest allies. I always thought I'd be there with him…at the end you know." He laughed, as if coming up with some kind of joke that only he knew the punch line to. "I guess it won't be that way now."

"They've offered to teach us what they can Ron," Ginny reminded him. "Once we learn what they know, then we can help them end this war. We can…." Her face darkened and took on a slightly more shadowed edge, "We can get our revenge for mum." Ron glanced up at her, an equal scowl on his face, and nodded his approval.

They were interrupted by the sounds of footsteps running up the stairs, and both of them turned to see Neville rushing in. "You'd better come downstairs now," he said in a hurry, and quickly all three of them descended into the Weasley living room, shocked to find Colin Creevey, beaten and bloodied, laying on the floor, Luna tending to his wounds.

"What happened to him?" Ginny asked in desperation, and Luna looked up at her, for the moment the distant look in her eyes gone.

"We don't know," she explained, "He just stumbled in through the back door and collapsed on the kitchen floor when Ronald went upstairs. Neville and I managed to bring him in here," she paused and glanced down at him, "I think he has a mild concussion and a few scrapes and bruises, but other than that he'll be fine."

Ginny glanced back down at her friend, before setting her resolve again, as Colin seemed to cry out for his parents and his brother. She had no doubt what had happened, Colin was a muggle born after all. The Death Eaters had obviously done this. Colin must have just managed to escape.

"We'll get dad to take him to St. Mungo's when he gets back," Ron said quietly, "For now let's just let him rest. Poor bloke's probably been through a lot."

/ - / - / - /

Percival Weasley didn't exactly know where he was going at the moment. He had just been acting as a junior scribe for the Wizengamot meeting that had ended rather abruptly, and in all the ruckus he had been corralled into following Jeremy Lovegood into the bowels of the Ministry.

Percy was at a bit of a loss for what had just transpired. Truth be told he could care less what happened to Potter or Granger, they had always been more trouble than they were worth in his opinion. Still, the calculating part of him knew that with Potter in a position of power, if he had any possible inclinations for advancement he'd have to sway to their side, something that would prove difficult considering his actions of the previous year.

He knew that there was a good chance You-Know-Who was back, despite his distrust for Potter and his somewhat lesser distrust of his former headmaster. Even still, he had stuck with Fudge because his political sense had told him that he had the best chance of winning out.

His political sense had obviously been wrong.

"Right this way Mr. Weasley," Lovegood said coldly, leading him down a winding corridor further into the Department of Mysteries. They traveled down through the torchlit corridor a few more feet before coming to a stop at a small wooden door. "This would be it. Lazarus will see you." Jeremy bowed his head and turned around, leaving Percy with a somewhat befuddled look on his face.

"What does he want," he asked somewhat petulantly, "He can't just dictate who will see him and who won't." Jeremy turned and looked, regarding him with a somewhat….odd smirk on his face.

"You say that now," he quipped, before nodding his head again and turning back down the hallway. Percy blinked and shook his head, confused. Undaunted, he turned back towards the door, and forced it open slowly.

The office was large, larger than the minister's office from what Percy could tell. It had a high vaulted ceiling with a crackling fireplace set in the corner. Shelves of books and parchment that seemed to be older than the air in the room lined the walls all the way to the ceiling. Over in the corner was a small globe, with various lit portions of different colors and hues blinking all over it. In the opposite corner was a bubbling cauldron, with ingredients being added by an invisible hand. In between the two was a large walnut desk filled with all sorts of papers, quills and other odds and ends, the image of a cockatrice carved intricately on the front of it.

"Ah, Mr. Weasley, please come in and sit down." Percy turned and saw a short man sitting in a rather plush armchair by the fire, glancing over a book. Percy cocked an eyebrow at the odd looking man, who stared back at him with eyes as yellow as the fire that roared to life next to him. Percy sat down in a similar red chair to the one the man was sitting in, a bit more nervous than he had been before. Though he had seen Lazarus from a distance, he had never spoken with the man, and it was suddenly an intimidating action indeed.

"You wanted to see me," Percy said evenly, cutting straight to the point.

"Yes, please, join me for a cup of tea." Lazarus pointed a long jagged wand at the corner and a silver tea set came floating over, pouring two glasses as it did. The two cups placed themselves in front of the two men, a lump of sugar dropping firmly in Percy's, whose eyes lit up a bit.

"How did you…" Lazarus shushed him, pointing to his head with his wand.

"I have my methods Mr. Weasley, please, enjoy yourself. It's so rare that I get company besides my usual friends." Percy took the cup and took a sip of the liquid, remarking to himself that it was rather flavorful.

"Now, I asked you down here because….frankly I need your help son." Lazarus leaned back in his chair, setting his book down and reaching into his robes, pulling out a small flask. He summoned his cup of tea to him and poured a small bit of the golden tinted liquid into the cup, before screwing the tip back on the flask and pocketing it. He sipped the tea, while Percy regarded him with an arched eyebrow. Lazarus smirked, "You didn't think someone my age wouldn't need to take medicine, now did you?"

"You said you needed my help," Percy answered back, steering the conversation back on track.

"Yes…I do. Let's be frank Mr. Weasley….Cornelius Fudge is doomed. That much is certain." Percy nodded blankly, sensing the doom for his mentor. "All it will take is a proper candidate to stand for vote against him in a no confidence motion, and it will be curtains for him. The question is who will be that candidate?"

"And who will make such a motion?" Percy added, "Fudge has a good deal of clout with some of the members of the Wizengamot."

Lazarus got what could best be described as a wicked gleam in his eyes, "You just leave that part to me. What I need from you, is a viable candidate."

Percy blinked. "You can't seriously mean you want me to run for Minister?"

Lazarus chuckled, "No my boy. You are far too young, even by normal wizarding standards, to be considered for such a position….no offense intended." Percy nodded, feeling no slight. "No….it is your father I want to run for office."

Percy spit out his tea.

"My father!" he shrieked, "You can't be serious." Lazarus did not flinch.

"No, I very much am serious. Your father, despite his eccentricity, garners great respect on the council, particularly from its newest member." He took a sip of his tea before continuing, "Currently there are only two people who could stand for the position and be elected: Amelia Bones is one and would probably be acceptable, but she doesn't want the position. The other is Rufus Scrimgoeur, and frankly that is a disaster waiting to happen.

"Scrimgoeur doesn't have the political experience to deal with the infighting of the body, and from my perspective he is dangerous because he is one of the few remaining aurors who holds a grudge against my department from the first war with Voldemort." Percy winced at the name. "Furthermore he is far too dependant on Dumbledore. We need a minister who will be more independent in his thought, and given your father's current situation, I think he will be just the man."

"That aside," Percy said with a cross tone, "He won't run for the position. He's far too happy where he is now."

"I'm certain you can persuade him otherwise."

"Me?! He won't even spare a glance at me!" Percy exclaimed, "We've been out of sorts for months now. I barely even got invited to my own mother's funeral." Percy paused a moment, before continuing, "I understand what you're asking of me, but it's impossible."

"Nothing is impossible," Lazarus angrily said, causing Percy to double back in fear. Lazarus allowed his anger to fade quickly, before he smiled and said, "Just highly improbable." Percy slightly rolled his eyes when Lazarus' countenance fell, but the elder wizard continued unabated. "Of course, should you succeed, we will be rather indebted to you. I think you can guess how much being owed a favor by the Department of Mysteries can mean to a person of political ambition, such as yourself." Percy arched an eyebrow and thought about it for several moments. It was true, being in the good graces with the Unspeakables harbored a good deal of perks for someone on the fast track to political greatness, such as he considered himself to be.

There was a loud whispering sound to the side of him, and he glanced over to see a small gold colored ball roll down a large metal halfpipe, stopping down by the oak desk. Lazarus smiled and carefully stood up, walking towards the desk with his cane in hand. He grasped the semi-transparent ball and shook it, opening it slightly, and Percy heard a whispered voice fill the air.

"For the heir may never lose their magic to those they would stand against…"

Then, just as quickly as the voice appeared, it faded away, and Lazarus had a bit of a frown. He tossed the ball into the fire, causing it to roar in intensity, and Percy was certain that if he listened hard enough he could hear the whispered voice screaming towards its inevitable doom.

Lazarus walked over and stared straight at him, "Pay no attention to that," he commanded, and Percy was left wondering what had just happened. He felt a tiny pinprick at the back of his mind, and saw a great flash of light, before he found himself staring at Lazarus, pocketing something in his robes. Percy felt as if there was something that needed to be said, but couldn't quite remember…

"So, as I was saying," Lazarus continued, sipping at his tea, "Get your father to run for Minister, and the Department will be prepared to offer you a position as junior Unspeakable."

"I still say it won't work," Percy said, regaining his composure, "And if you're expecting me to influence Potter…."

"That," Lazarus confessed, "Would be beyond my highest expectations for you. In time, perhaps you will be a valuable asset. Do this for me, and then we will discuss your future."

/ - / - / - /

Harry and Hermione sat in the drawing room of the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, each with stern looks on their face as they awaited the arrival of Dumbledore. Both of them wanted to end this once and for all, to make the break with Dumbledore that would cement their own independent status in the wizarding world.

The room was a rather lavish affair, with purple satin curtains draping over enchanted windows that showed a faux landscape outside. There was a large granite fireplace against the north wall, which Harry leaned against and Hermione sat next to. Harry had removed his formal robes for the moment, transfiguring his clothing into something a bit more casual to give the appearance that he wasn't nervous. Hermione had done the same.

Truth be told, he didn't quite know what to expect, so a small part of him was very much the opposite of his appearance.

They both turned and saw Dumbledore slowly walk into the room, an emotionless mask on his face. He walked over and stood in front of the two of them, never breaking gaze from either one. Hermione stood up and moved next to Harry, showing her support with the man she loved. Dumbledore saw their hands intertwined, but did not miss that their wands seemed to be at just a quick grasp's reach.

Dumbledore could feel the power radiating off the both of them. They had obviously been in some kind of training, Harry's performance in the Wizengamot and their dual performance at the Burrow spoke to that for certain. But Dumbledore was uncertain at how much their raw power had increased until that very moment. Seeing them in their current state caused the grey hairs to stand up on the back of his neck and turn a bright shade of alabaster white.

Still, Dumbledore decided that maybe the direct approach was once again the way to go. It might illicit some degree of sympathy and patch things up to a certain degree. It would certainly be a start.

"Harry, first allow me to once again offer my sincerest apologies to you…for anything that I may have done to…."

"Anything you might have done?" Harry coldly asked in a rhetorical fashion. He lowered his head and glared at the headmaster, "How about putting me in a home where I was violently abused for fourteen years? How about putting a block on my abilities that kept me from achieving in my classes and hindered my education? How about not telling me the truth about my heritage? How about kidnapping me and sending me back to that hellhole when I had been rescued from it!? Is that what you want to apologize for old man?"

Dumbledore straightened himself, "You must understand, I was only trying to protect you. I did what I deemed to be best for you. I admit they were complicated because of my love…."

"You said that your actions were complicated by love for me, right?" Harry glanced over at Hermione and offered the briefest of smiles before turning back to Dumbledore. "I've felt love sir. I know what it feels like now, I know what it looks like, tastes like, and sounds like, and everything else about it. What you did had nothing to do with love….it had everything to do with keeping me under your thumb."

"Harry," the headmaster said in a shocked tone, "How can you even say such a thing!?"

"How could you do such a thing?" Hermione chimed in, her voice screeching with unshed tears, "You've a lot to answer for Professor, not the least of which is why you lied to Harry…and why you lied to me." Tears began to flow unbroken from her eyes as she broke away from Harry and glared straight at Dumbledore. "You said they'd be safe! You told them right to their face that no harm would come to them! Those were your exact words you worthless piece of shit!"

Dumbledore took two steps backwards as he felt a spike in energy from Hermione as she angrily moved towards him. He did his best to look reproachful. "Miss Granger….Hermione….what happened to your parents was a great tragedy. But you must understand that we can not always live up to…."

Hermione silenced him with a solid push from an unseen force, knocking him back against the wall. "Don't try and weasel out with your grandfather attitude! Harry trusted you! I trusted you! WE ALL TRUSTED YOU!" Harry embraced her fiercely from behind, not needing a complete explosion at this point, and Hermione fought against his grasp. Harry held firm however, and eventually Hermione's cries of anguish became sobs of sorrow, as she collapsed into his arms in grief and frustration. Harry held her gently and cradled her, all while Dumbledore watched in silent horror.

After several minutes Hermione pulled away from Harry and whispered to him, "I'm sorry…."

"Don't be," Harry answered back tenderly, before kissing her gently on the lips. They broke away from one another and Harry suggested, "Perhaps you should go back to the Burrow. They'll want to know what happened." Hermione nodded, before disapparating with a silent pop back to the Burrow. Harry's lingering gaze on where she had stood quickly hardened, as he took one good long look at Dumbledore, who quickly readjusted himself.

"Honestly Harry, she has a bit of a tem…."

Harry shut him up quickly with a silencing jinx so powerful, even Dumbledore couldn't break it. "You're going to listen to me old man," Harry said forcefully, making Dumbledore feel rather small with his display, "You're going to sit there and listen to what I have to say.

"First…and foremost," Harry's eyes became dark as the full force of his Slytherin heritage came to the forefront, "If you do anything to make Hermione cry like that again, I will kill you where you stand, slowly and painfully. Bit by bit, inch by inch I will annihilate you." Harry toned down his countenance a bit, before continuing.

"Secondly, I'm through with you. We both are. I can't speak for Ron or Ginny or the rest of the Weasleys, but I'm sure that they're pretty much finished with you too."

Dumbledore fought against the silencing jinx, finally breaking through to say, "Harry….you must defeat Voldemort….you're the only one who can! The prophecy!"

"The prophecy doesn't mean shit to me Dumbledore. I'll beat Tom, but I'm not going to do it for you, or for your stupid prophecy. I'm doing it in the name of everyone who has died standing opposite that wanker. And when I do….you will likely never hear from us again."

Dumbledore blinked several times, but said nothing.

"You won't step into our lives ever again Dumbledore. No more lies. No more manipulations. You will NOT ever have a say in how my life is run again, do I make myself absolutely clear?" Harry canceled the remainder of the jinx, allowing Dumbledore to breathe fully.

"I won't manipulate your life Harry, but you must understand that even with your political stance there will be certain rules to follow when you return to Hogwarts in the fall…." Harry chuckled, causing Dumbledore to break off.

"Haven't you heard a single damn word I've said you idiot?! I said we're THROUGH! That includes your bloody schooling. Hermione and I did enough of that at the man….where we were staying to more than cover our N.E.W.T.'s anyway. And we'll teach anyone of our friends that wants to learn the same things."

"But Harry, Hogwarts is the only safe place for you!"

"Like hell it is. I've nearly been killed more times I can count at that place." He paused trying to calm himself down. "I love the school headmaster, but I don't trust you. Not as far as I can throw you."

Dumbledore stood up, evening himself with Harry. "But you need me," he said in a cold tone, increasing his own intimidation factor slightly. "You have no clue where Voldemort is Harry. Nor do you know anything about how to defeat him. I know how he survived all these years; I know how to kill him. Without me, you're stumbling around in the dark, hoping you can find a candle and a match."

Harry pursed his lips, trying not to let his frustration at this fact show. "We'll manage," he said confidently, "In the meantime….stay out of our life…" Harry turned away, leaving Dumbledore standing there, before he added, "Oh and one more thing." Harry turned back with a smile and a semi-evil glint in his eyes, "The Order of the Phoenix is no longer welcome at Number 12 Grimmauld Place."

"You have no right…"

"I have every right," Harry said fiercely, "Seeing as how I own the house now. Sirius left it to me, and I'm doing what he would have wanted…kicking you out."

"Sirius would want us working together, not apart like this," Dumbledore said softly, trying to play on the boy's attachment with his godfather, "He wouldn't approve of this at all."

"Oh yes he would," Harry said in defiance, "And before you say anything, so would my parents. And don't you even think about trying to use Sirius' memory against me again, seeing as how it's your fault he's dead in the first place!"

"And how did you arrive at the conclusion," Dumbledore said, not faking hurt this time.

"I know for a fact you were lying about what you knew as far as Sirius not being the secret keeper. You knew Wormtail was it." Dumbledore paled but for a moment, before a thought clicked in his head as to how Harry would know that information.

"I don't know what you mean," Dumbledore lied, causing Harry to scoff.

"Of course you don't," he sarcastically said, before turning to leave.

"Harry," the headmaster called back, causing said wizard to stop in his tracks. "Is there anyway I can make amends to you?"

Harry glanced back straight at Dumbledore, before saying with finality, "No."

A/N: And so ends that part of the chapter. We'll get more about Colin in the next chapter, as well as beginning another round of training at Potter Manor.

Unlike last time, this time we'll focus more on the individual training for two or three chapters (it will be a shorter time in the time warp all around), focusing mainly on developing side-character relationships and increasing their strength before a final showdown looms in the near future.