Unofficial Portkey Archive

How to Save A Life by WarriorPride23
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

How to Save A Life

WarriorPride23

If I could walk on water
If I could tell you what's next
I'd make you believe
I'd make you forget

Come On Get Higher by Matt Nathanson

&---&---&---&---&

"We haven't had any sign of them," McGonagall said as she sat behind her desk. Harry looked at her.

"No sign at all? Where has the Order checked?" he asked.

"They've checked the surrounding area for three days now. They haven't had any sight of anything out of the ordinary," McGonagall said. Harry sighed.

"Voldemort's up to something. We need to find out what as soon as possible," Harry said to the Headmistress. She nodded.

"The Order is trying as best as they can," she said. Harry nodded.

"I know. I just don't want an attack on the school, or anywhere near here. Parents would freak out too much and pull their kids from Hogwarts. The school is the only resemblance of a safe place at the moment. We can't afford an attack so close," Harry said.

"You're correct Mr. Potter," said McGonagall. "That is why not only do I have a surveillance team on sight, but I also have a team ready to go at any given time to fight. Also, there will be a supervision of the grounds around here, including the Forbidden Forest. I will contact you with any further information." Harry nodded.

"Thanks Professor," he said, and swept out of the office.

"Hermione," Harry said, catching up to her in the corridor. Hermione slowed down until Harry was next to her. The two of them began to walk side by side.

"I just talked to McGonagall; I have some stuff to tell you. I think we should meet with Ron in the Room of Requirement with the stuff to work on it," he said quietly. Hermione nodded.

"What time?" she asked.

"Right after dinner," Harry said. He continued to walk with her to Arithmancy and when they got there, he left her with a kiss on the cheek.

Dinner was a quiet affair between the three friends. The destruction of the second to last Horcrux was weighing heavily on their minds. About an hour after dinner, the three of them left the comfort of the Gryffindor Common Room, saying that they were heading to the Heads Dorms for a cover up.

"Right," Harry said once they got there. Ron set the cup on a table that was in the room. "I'm pulling this out of my arse. I have no idea if it will work."

"Do you know how strong the spell is?" Ron asked. Harry shook his head.

"Conjuro brick," Harry said. A large, red brick appeared in front of the three seventh years.

"Pulverizum," Harry said, pointing his wand at the brick. Instantly, a flash of light shot from the tip of his wand and straight to the brick, which turned to dust on impact.

"It's that strong," Harry said. "But since that was only a brick…I don't know if it will do anything to the cup."

"Maybe we should do it together," Hermione suggested. Harry looked at her.

"That could work," he said. "On the count of three then." The three of them looked to the cup, which sat tauntingly in front of them.

"One…two…three!"

"Pulverizum," came the simultaneous shout. The same light that had shot from Harry's wand a minute ago came from three different directions and hit the cup.

Nothing happened.

"Damn it!" Harry said. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed.

"Um…Harry?" Ron said. Harry looked at his best mate. Ron pointed and Harry followed his direction.

The cup was no longer setting on the table, but it was floating in the air about a foot from the surface. A bright light was beginning to break through the cup. The bright rays made Harry squint and bring his hand to shield his eyes.

A loud boom sounded throughout the room. A second later, the light stopped shining. Harry took his hands away from his eyes and looked at the cup. It was now back on the table, the sinister glint gone.

"Only one more to go then," he said.

&---&---&---&---&

"Late much?" Hermione asked her best friend as he skidded into morning potions with a minute to spare. He grinned and ruffled his hair.

"The alarm clock and I maintain a love-hate relationship," he said as he took his seat next to her. She laughed. Harry grinned once more as Slughorn's voice boomed through the dungeons.

"I think we should go for a walk today," Harry whispered to Hermione as he tuned out Slughorn's lecture.

"Okay," she whispered back. She refocused her attention to the lesson at hand.

"And then later we should work on the project," he said.

"Mmhm," she replied. Harry glanced over at her. Her hand was under her chin, holding her head up and she was glancing down at her parchment every once and a while to take notes.

"I have a tendency to lose my socks," Harry said to her.

"What?" Hermione said, looking at Harry as if he had grown another head. Harry grinned.

"Just making sure you were paying attention," he said. A moment later, "But that really is true." Muffled laughter ensued from the two of them.

&---&---&---&---&

Rowena Ravenclaw was most famous for her intelligence and wisdom, though her beauty was almost as famous. Her house within Hogwarts houses these values in its members. Rather than asking for a password from her students to get to the dormitories, a bronze eagle knocker asks them a riddle within a question. If answered incorrectly, the student is forced to wait until another could answer the question correctly, allowing the failed student to learn.

She is from glen and had a strong friendship with Helga Hufflepuff, another founder of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The friendship was valued so much that she never took off a necklace given to her from Helga at a Christmas, it is said. It is said that Ravenclaw died of a broken heart, though from who is in question. Some suspect a love triangle between Hufflepuff and Gryffindor, though others believe it to be Slytherin, since her death happened soon after his departure. Her daughter, Helena, was given the necklace. After her mother's death, she moved from England to what is now Russia, as that was her favorite place to visit with her mother. From there, the whereabouts of the necklace is unknown.

Harry had to read and re-read the section about Ravenclaw a few times before it clicked. A clue to the last Horcrux had been found.

"Hermione!" Harry said, firmly yet quietly as he had rushed into the library. Hermione looked up from her homework.

"What's the matter?" she asked, frowning at his out of breath state. He held up Hogwarts: A History.

"I found it," he said. "I found the last one." Hermione frowned for a second before she realized what he was talking about. Immediately, she abandoned her essay and read the given passage to her.

"Russia?" she said. "It's been said that there was a vacation home located there, but no one has ever found it."

"Well, it's the only lead we've had for a while," Harry said. "If we research it thoroughly, we might possibly have something."

"We should get on that then," Hermione said, looking at her best friend. Harry went to speak, but was cut off with a sharp voice behind him.

"Mr. Potter! Miss. Granger!" rang McGonagall's voice. Harry and Hermione turned, facing the Headmistress.

"Come, they're marching," she said. Harry and Hermione shared a look before they sped up to catch up.

"The both of you are at the front of the lines," McGonagall said, fast approaching her office. "We need every ounce of help we can get, the numbers are large. One of our own counted at least five hundred. We've only got four hundred."

"The DA," Harry said. "They're trained enough."

"We can't," McGonagall said. "Some of those children aren't old enough. We cannot put any harm to our students who won't willingly fight."

"Yes, but I know for a fact that all of them will willingly fight, at least the ones old enough will. We've got at least another forty then," Harry said.

"We've been having meetings when we can," Hermione added. "And everyone has been studying and practicing on their own." McGonagall sighed.

"I hate to do this," she said. "Quickly Potter, quickly. Granger, come with me." Harry rushed down the corridor in the opposite direction. Rushing back to the Heads Dorm, he took out his coin and signaled the DA.

Minutes later, he arrived on the seventh floor. Few were already there, and more were arriving.

Once all had arrived, Harry cleared his throat. Silence was absolute.

"I need all seventh years to come with me. Sixth years, stay on guard. Everyone else, head back to your dorms and if you hear anything from a teacher, do as you're told," Harry said.

"What's going on?" a fifth year asked.

"We're under attack," Harry said. He motioned for the seventh years to come with him and he left the corridor, leaving the rest of the DA shocked.

"Harry, what's going on?" Hannah Abbott asked as they rushed toward McGonagall's office.

"Death Eaters are on the march toward the school. The DA will be on the field," Harry said.

"Professor," Harry said, rushing into the office.

"Potter, take this passage way to the Great Hall. Go to the front doors. Orders will be given out there," McGonagall said. She waved her wand and a passage way appeared in one of the walls. One by one, the DA entered the dark path, their wands lighting up their surroundings.

"Moody?" Harry called.

"All right boyo," Moody said. Pointing his wand at his throat, he muttered Sonorus.

"Everyone, listen," he said, his voice reverberating off of the walls. "I want the Aurors to be on the front line along with Potter and Granger. Will the Order file in behind them and the DA file in behind them."

"Ron," Harry said, turning to his best mate. "You're in charge of the DA. Name your officers." Ron nodded and began to sort the DA.

The large group of people got into order and waited for instructions.

"They're coming from the Forbidden Forest. I hope you all brought you're A-game, because we'll be coming to them," Moody said. "Watch out for any sort of animal in there. We can't have distractions. Let's go."

The doors opened and Harry stepped out into the brisk evening air. He muttered a warming charm on himself and heard Hermione doing the same on the other side of him.

"The DA will take the left. Tonks will lead that group along with Ron Weasley. The Aurors will take the center, with Shacklebolt and Potter at the head and the Order will take the right, with me and Remus at the head," Moody said. The three groups split up and went to their designated areas.

Before Harry stepped into the Forest, he slipped his hand into Hermione's and squeezed. He felt the pressure of hers in return. Placing a kiss on her forehead, he whispered," I'll see you back here." Hermione squeezed his hand one last time before entering the forest.

"Silencio," Harry muttered, pointing to his shoes and clothes. "Tegere parvus magus." After he protected himself from mediocre spell work, he pulled out his invisibility cloak and magiked it to his body preventing it from falling off and making noise.

Quickly, Harry entered the forest. It was dark, but he could make out what little pathway there was.

"We need to find Potter," was the whisper that he heard. He stopped and pulled himself closer to a tree.

"Don't you think I know that," was the vicious reply.

"Don't get pissy with me. It's your fault we're not even in the good graces with Macavoy of all people," was another reply. Harry rolled his eyes and sent two quiet spells towards the unaware Death Eaters. The both of them fell to the floor instantly. Harry quickly conjured a couple of stones and chained the two Death Eaters to them. After breaking their wands, preventing them from doing anything to get free, he continued on.

The deeper Harry got into the forest, the darker it got. He was having a hard time seeing, and he didn't want to light his want for fear that he would be spotted. A twig behind him snapped and he stopped in his tracks. He slowly turned and surveyed his surroundings.

"Shit," came a mumble. Harry's eyes narrowed. He knew that voice. He had heard that voice almost everyday for six years. Snape…

Rage built up immediately. Harry looked for him in the dark, and followed him as the ex-potions master traveled quietly. Disgust and fury slowly bubbled just under his breaking point. His fingers twitched in longing as he held his wand. What he would give to hex that motherfucker to the moon and back.

"Bella!" Snape hissed.

"Severus?" came Lestrange's voice. Harry grinned almost manically. It was his lucky day, two for the price of one.

"Where have you been? I've been wondering around for almost twenty minutes," Snape snapped.

"It's darker than the inside of a cow in here. I can't see anything," Lestrange snapped back. Harry shook his head, retaining the urge to take them down then and there. His time would come soon enough.

"Well hurry, he's waiting," Snape said. The two Death Eaters set off at a quick pace and Harry had to almost jog to keep up with them.

"Ah, Severus, Bella," came a new voice. The three of them had stepped into a clearing in the forest. It was lighter there as there were little trees above them. Harry had to shake his head at their idiocy.

Harry leaned against a tree with his arms crossed over his chest. He listened carefully as Snape and Lestrange conversed with three of their fellow Death Eaters. As the five of them began to move out, Harry took out his wand and sent a hex towards Snape. It caught the potions master off guard and he fell to the forest floor face first.

"Who's there?" came Bella's. Harry rolled his eyes and sent another stunner towards her. As she had her back toward him, she too fell face first. Harry quickly took care of the other three and like previously, he chained them to stone blocks and for extra measure, he chained the blocks to nearby trees. After snapping five wands, Harry sent his patronus. He sat on a dead log and waited.

Soon enough, he heard the voices of Moody and Shacklebolt. Harry stood from the log and pulled back the hood of his cloak.

"There," Harry said, pointing to the trees.

"Good work boyo," Moody said. "I'll handle these five. You go on." Harry nodded and left the clearing, silently hoping Moody would beat the shit out of Snape.

The signal to retreat was given and Harry left the forest. He met up with Hermione along the way and they made their way into the castle. The school hadn't been breached at all, so the team within the school was told to stand down.

"We caught four hundred Death Eaters. There were fifty killed and the rest were injured," Shacklebolt said as he met up with the two seventh years in the corridor.

"So we got all of them. How many did we lose?" Harry asked.

"Unfortunately about seventy-five," Shacklebolt said. Harry sighed. They had died for a good cause though.

"We have a few in interrogation," said Kingsley. Harry and Hermione followed the auror to a classroom. "They're in there." Harry opened the door and instantly grew tense. Snape was sitting at a table with his hands tied behind his back.

"Potter," the potions master sneered. Harry sneered back. The seventh year looked at Moody, who was standing a few feet away.

"Please, give him to me," Harry said. Moody observed the boy in front of him and almost laughed.

"He's all yours," he said. Harry grinned and stood in front of Snape. In less than five seconds, his fist connected with Snape's jaw.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that," Harry said. "God, I have so many things I want to say to you." Harry laughed and leaned against the wall.

"First off, I just want to say, you are a bastard," Harry said. He laughed. "Oh Lord are you a bastard." The amusement faded instantly and was replaced by an annoyed expression. "I just want to chuck you out of that fucking window."

"And I just have to say you're just as arrogant as your sodding father. And look where he is now," Snape sneered. Once again, Harry's fist connected with his jaw. The raven haired boy laughed once more.

"Don't be jealous Sevvy," Harry sneered. "Just face it, my father got the girl and you didn't." Snape set his jaw.

"Maybe if you weren't such an asshole my mother would've liked you," Harry said.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Snape said.

"Oh yes you do. Don't play stupid with me Snivellous," Harry said. "You loved my mother so much it hurt." Harry was quiet. "You know, if you really loved her, why did you sell her to Voldemort?"

"I didn't sell her to Voldemort. That was Peter's fault," Snape spat. Harry rolled his eyes.

"Oh please. It's just as much your fault as it is Peter's that my parents are dead," Harry said. "You were the one who overheard the prophecy. You were the one who told Voldemort about it. You basically sold my parents out."

"Your father didn't deserve her," Snape said.

"Oh, my father didn't deserve her? But she deserved a Voldemort worshipping asswipe?" Harry snarled.

"He treated her like shit. He never left her alone. You have no idea how many nights she was in tears because of that bastard," Snape hissed.

"You didn't treat her like shit? Calling her a mudblood was just a joke, right? Throwing away years of friendship was just for fun, right? Receiving the dark mark was just for the hell of it, knowing what it would do to my mother, eh? Yeah, my father might have treated my mother badly, but obviously he grew up because she fell for him, and not you. Does that send you a message?"

"You don't know what you're talking about," Snape hissed. Harry chuckled.

"Holding a grudge against a man that has been dead for seventeen years and some odd months is pretty damn petty, if you ask me. And then carrying that grudge over to his eleven year old son for six years, that's even worse," Harry said.

"And let's not forget, my father saved your pathetic life," Harry hissed. "Why, I have no idea. Because frankly, the world would be a better place without you in it." Snape looked away from Harry. The room was quiet for a moment. Hermione stood back with Shacklebolt and Moody, watching Harry tear Snape apart piece by piece.

"You know, I've heard stories about the Death Eaters. I've heard what they do to their victims. They rape the women before they torture and kill them. They each have a turn with her before they pass her off and then murder her. And let's not go into the children. I've heard that Aurors have found bits and pieces of children so dismembered they couldn't be identified," Harry said. "Is that true?" Snape refused to look at Harry.

"Is it?" he asked again.

"Yes," Snape muttered. Harry fought down a wave of sickness as the stories were confirmed.

"And you willingly took the dark mark knowing what happens? And you sit here and think that you were good enough for my mother? Think again doushebag. You aren't good enough for the dirt on my shoes," Harry hissed, fuming.

"So tell me, how many times have you raped a woman? How many times have you killed an innocent child? How many times have you killed an innocent muggle, or hey, an innocent witch or wizard? How many potions have you brewed for good ole Tom, eh?" Harry said.

"I have never raped a woman or killed a child," Snape spat.

"I have a hard time believing that," Harry said. "I will tell you this right now. Your bee-eff-eff Tom will be gone. And then you will have no one to protect your sorry arse. And when Tom is gone, you will be gone. And I don't think anyone will miss you one bit." Harry looked at Snape one more time before turning to leave the room. He stopped just before he left though.

"Actually, one more thing," Harry said. He walked up to Snape and will all of his might, swung his fist. A sickening crack was heard and Snape's howl vibrated off of the walls.

"That was for making my life a living hell. That was for getting my parents killed. That was for every person you have ever tortured. That was for taking the dark mark. Hell, that was for being born," Harry said. He bent down and got in his face. "And if I ever meet you again in my lifetime, I will kill you." With that, Harry swept out of the room, leaving four shocked people.

As Harry walked down the corridor to the Heads Dorm, he smirked to himself. Damn that felt good.

(TBC)

&---&---&---&---&

I won't even bother. I know, I suck.

The little cute bit with Harry and Hermione towards the beginning of the chapter is based on an actual conversation I had with my besty guy friend. He was late to first period one day. Yes, I know, we're dorks.

I'm not too sure if I deserve these after four months of not updating, but reviews are always nice? Pretty please, with whipped cream and cherries on top?

Thanks! WarriorPride23.

11 pages.

-->