Unofficial Portkey Archive

Hogwarts Drama Co. by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Hogwarts Drama Co.

TheGreatFox2000

Well I couldn't go an entire story (or series, in this case) without having some action, so you get it in this chapter. It's a shame there's a 3,000 word cap on each of these or else I'd definitely put some real solid effort into this one and make it a good 5-6k, but oh well. Enjoy!

Ficlet Challenge # 5: You cannot possibly expect me to wear that.

---------------

Music Through the Night

Harry walked in silence down the hidden corridor to the quarters Greg was staying in. There was only a week until opening night and they had been working extra hard to make sure everything was ready. Arriving at the oak door, he knocked politely.

"Come in."

Harry opened the door to find Greg sitting at the desk, which was covered in parchment listing everything from the cast list, to set construction orders, and lighting patterns was covering it. A simple muggle picture of a young brown-haired woman, no older than eighteen was sitting atop the stacks of paper, and he was staring at it quite intently.

"Is that her?" asked Harry delicately.

"Yeah," sighed Greg, not looking away.

"What was her name?"

"Hannah," he replied, leaning back in his chair.

"She looks a bit like Hermione," commented Harry. Greg turned and smirked at him.

"She does, doesn't she?" he chuckled.

"I remember reading about the riots," said Harry, pulling up a chair. "How'd it happen?"

"I wasn't there, so I couldn't tell you," said Greg, "but from what I heard, Lucius used the Imperius Curse to control some supporters of Chelsea, which was the club that lost, and started the riot. One of them threw an empty beer bottle at her because she was wearing a Manchester jersey, and it struck her on the head. She got knocked out cold and was trampled underfoot."

"I'm sorry," said Harry solemnly.

"Her parents came to me after it happened," he continued, staring out the window at the night sky. "They knew about my magic and wanted to tell me."

"How close were you?" asked Harry.

"I loved her," sighed Greg. "I don't think she felt the same way...but that doesn't really make it any easier to bear."

Harry said nothing, only nodded in silence.

"You know, for the longest time I blamed myself," he continued. "She and her family were muggles, they had no idea about Voldemort and the killings...I blamed myself for not warning them. But I realized that she never would've wanted that. Even if I had told them, they would've gone anyway, because they weren't the kind of people to be bullied around by terror. It was one of her best qualities," he said with a smile.

"It sounds like she was a remarkable person," said Harry.

"She was," nodded Greg. "Make sure you don't let the same happen to Hermione."

"You...you know about that?" asked Harry. While he and Hermione weren't making a conscious effort to keep their relationship a secret, they hadn't been flaunting it in public either.

"When you get to experience as much as I have, you become very observant," smiled Greg. "It's not how you act. It's how you react when you see each other. The way the both of you can't help but smile when one or the other walks into the room."

"Yeah, I know what you mean," replied Harry, a goofy grin appearing on his face.

"I don't mean to depress you with stories of my past," chuckled Greg, turning around to face him properly. "What brings you by?"

"The newest set lists from Ron," replied Harry, handing a sheet of parchment to him. Greg took the paper and peered at it over his glasses.

"This should be fine," he said, continuing to read it. "Six dozen white, heavy candles...I have to admit, he does have the eye for it."

"That's for the scene in the Phantom's lair, I think," said Harry.

"I would hope so," laughed Greg. "I can't imagine where else they'd be used."

"What do you think of this triangle you've effectively set up?" asked Harry candidly.

"Ginny, Neville, and Draco?" asked Greg. Harry nodded. "I sat down with Ginny a couple days after you all told me about it."

"And?"

"If I told you who she liked, that would ruin all the fun, wouldn't it?" laughed Greg. "Suffice it to say, she's not complaining about her situation."

"I'm sure Ron will be thrilled about that," said Harry.

"I suppose I should head down to the theater," sighed Greg, getting up. "Make sure set prep is going well."

"You were there for twenty hours yesterday," Harry pointed out.

"I take my business seriously," shrugged Greg, grabbing a bottle of water from his nightstand. "Shall we?"

"You're the boss," joked Harry as they left the room.

"You're funny," droned Greg. "Ever consider standup?"

"Now, now, let us remember our theater hierarchy," said Harry. Greg raised an eyebrow at him. "Legitimate theater, musical theater, standup, magic, ventriloquist, mime."

"Did you stay up all night thinking of that?" quipped Greg.

"I got to sleep around two in the morning," retorted Harry.

"Hilarious," laughed Greg as they arrived at the Room of Requirement. "I like that."

"Glad to hear it," chuckled Harry as they walked inside.

Preparations were in full swing and Ron had the tech crew working overtime to make everything perfect.

"Greg!" called Ernie, jogging up to him and Harry. "The costumes just arrived."

"Excellent," said Greg. "Has everyone been fitted?"

"Everyone except Harry and Hermione," replied Ernie.

"Get to it," said Greg, nodding at Harry.

"Yes sir," he smiled, walking off towards the back of the stage.

"Where is Hermione?" asked Greg, turning back to Ernie.

"She was helping construct the opera set last time I checked," he answered.

"How hard can it be?" laughed Greg. "We're bloody in one."

"It's the chandelier, I think," said Ernie. "It's been a pain in the arse."

"We should be happy that we have magic," replied Greg as they started walking towards the stage. "Otherwise we'd have to rig it with cables and safety catches...I saw Phantom done by muggles once...I was not impressed."

"I can imagine."

They spotted Hermione fixing small crystals to the large brass chandelier in the back.

"Hermione," said Greg, walking over to her.

"Hello," she said, looking up. "Give me one moment...there. What's up?"

"The costumes came in, I need to you try on your dresses," said Greg. "Harry's already working on his."

"Alright," she said, getting up. "How many do I have?"

"Three, if the order came in correctly," replied Greg. "The Hannibal dress, the Il Muto dress, and the masquerade dress."

"Alright," smiled Hermione, walking over to the costume rack, which was being tended by Lavender and Parvati.

"This is what you'll be wearing in for Prima Donna and Il Muto," said Lavender, taking an enormous pink lampshade dress off the rack with frills everywhere.

"...you cannot possibly expect me to wear that," deadpanned Hermione.

"Hey, you were the one who wanted to be Carlotta," said Greg, checking the costumes against his list.

"I know, still though," said Hermione. "It looks like the Easter Bunny exploded all over this."

"Well said," laughed Greg as Harry walked over. "Does everything fit?"

"Yeah," said Harry. "I look like a fool."

"You're supposed to," replied Greg. "Hermione feels the same, if it makes you feel any better."

"We can share our disappointment together," said Hermione dramatically.

"I think we'll manage," smiled Harry. "After all, I - "

A crash from the front of the stage caused them all to jump and turn. Ron was standing high up on the catwalk above, wand pointed at the large foam gargoyle he was supposed to be raising up near the ceiling.

"What happened?" asked Greg, walking over.

"It just fell," said Ron, shrugging. "One second I was levitating it up here, the next..."

"Greg!" called Lavender, hurrying over. "I can't trim any of the costumes...it's like my wand is broken."

"What?" asked Harry, spinning around.

"Do you know what's going on?" asked Greg, turning to him.

"I hope not," said Harry, drawing his wand. "Expecto Patronum."

Nothing happened.

"Bloody hell," whispered Harry.

"Don't tell me this is what I think it is," said Hermione.

"Could someone tell me what's going on?" said Greg, exasperated.

"Back when I was fighting Voldemort, the Order placed special wards on the school in case it came under attack."

"The Order?" asked Greg.

"The Order of the Phoenix," explained Hermione. "It was the secret organisation dedicated to Voldemort's downfall."

"Go on," said Greg.

"One of the wards was a magic dampener," continued Harry. "It would shut off all use of magic within the grounds."

"So we're under attack?" asked Greg.

At that point, McGonagal came bursting through the doors of the theater. Harry quickly ran forward to meet her, followed by Hermione, Ron, and Greg.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"The wards were set off," she said. " All the secret entrances and outer doors on the tops of the towers have been sealed."

"What set them off?" asked Ron.

"...death eaters," she said, hesitantly.

"I figured as much," said Harry, running a hand through his hair. "Knew it was going to happen eventually."

"What are we going to do?" asked Hermione.

"Fortunately there aren't many," said McGonagal. "And the wards have confused them enough to stall them until the Order gets here, but they could still put up a decent fight."

"How many are there?" asked Harry.

"About sixty," she replied.

"Will we be able to use the plan we had made?" asked Harry.

"I think so," said McGonagal. "You should address your friends...we need to take positions now."

"Alright," replied Harry, turning around. "Everyone!"

Everyone had long since stopped working to observe the conversation with the headmistress, and was now staring at Harry with rapt attention.

"We're under attack," he said. "The last few death eaters that are free have come here...probably wanting revenge on me."

"Kick their arses Harry!" called out Seamus, which was met with resounding approval.

"Thank you," he nodded. "But we could use some help...those of you who were rready to fight before...I need you again now. If you're not coming with me, barricade yourselves in here and wait for news."

Most of the seventh year students stepped forward, including all the Gryffindors, Ernie, Luna, and, to the surprise of a few people, Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle.

"I'm coming too," said Greg, from beside Harry.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "Fighting is very different when you're right in the middle of it."

Greg turned to face him and there was a of look steeled determination in his eyes that Harry had never seen before.

"I'm sure," he replied.

"Let's go then," said McGonagal, leading them out of the Room of Requirement.

They walked in silence until they reached the Entrance Hall, where the members of the Order were already waiting.

"Who's that?" asked Moody, immediately spotting Greg.

"A friend who is helping us fight," said Harry. "I trust him."

That seemed good enough for Moody, who nodded and faced the door.

"They still haven't left the forest," said McGonagal. "We can get into position anytime."

"What are we doing?" whispered Greg to Harry.

"We're going into the forest and catch them off guard," he replied, as the doors opened. "When we're in position McGonagal will lift the wards and we'll attack."

"Won't they see us?" asked Greg.

"Hopefully not," replied Harry.

They all walked out along the edge of the castle in silence. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the stars were all twinkling down at them merrily, the moon casting a pale glow on the grounds. When they were near the forest, Moody motioned for Harry to come over to him.

"Six people are staying out here to flank...and keep them from escaping. Do you have any preferences?"

"Myself, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Ernie, and Greg," he replied instantly.

"Stay here then," said Moody. "When you hear the ruckus, charge in."

"Will do," said Harry. He motioned for the other five to stay put while Moody led the others off into the forest.

"What're we doing?" asked Ron.

"We're staying here to flank," said Harry. "And not let them escape."

"Couldn't they apparate?" asked Greg.

"You can't apparate on the Hogwarts grounds," said Hermione instantly.

"You can't?" asked Greg.

"Haven't you ever read 'Hogwarts, a History?" smiled Harry, before Hermione could respond.

"Can't say that I have," he admitted. "How long?"

"Five minutes, tops," said Harry, leaning against the stone of the castle. "Moody's pretty fast."

"I see."

The six of them stood in silence for a minute before Greg started humming. "You were once my one companion," he sang softly. "You were all that mattered. You were once my friend and father...then my world was shattered..."

"Wishing you were somehow here again," joined in Hermione. "Wishing you were somehow near..."

"Sometimes it seemed," sang Harry, "if I just dreamed....somehow you would be here."

"Wishing I could hear your voice again," added Luna. "Knowing that I never would..."

"Dreaming of you," all six of them were singing softly now. "Won't help me to do all that you dreamed I could..."

"Passing bells and sculpted angels, cold and monumental," sang Greg, looking up at the night sky. "Seem for you the wrong companions...you were warm and gentle."

"Too many years, fighting back tears, why can't the past just die?" they all sang. "Wishing you were somehow here again...knowing we must say goodbye. Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try." A lone tear fell down Greg's cheek. "No more memories, no more silent tears, no more gazing across the wasted years..." They paused and looked at Greg.

"Help me say goodbye. Help me say.....goodbye." he finished by himself, Harry clapping a hand on his shoulder as bangs sounded off in the forest.

"Charge!" he yelled, as the six of them drew their wands and sprinted into the forest.

=====

It took less than ten minutes for all sixty one death eaters, led by Bellatrix Lestrange to be killed or caught. Bellatrix herself was killed in the battle by a falling tree, and the sixteen that survived were carted off to Azkaban by aurors who arrived on the scene just as the battle ended.

A week later Hogwarts Drama Company performed The Phantom of the Opera in front of a sold out crowd, and again it was met with lavish praise and rave reviews. People came from as far as America to watch, due in part to Greg's contribution to the show, and none left disappointed.

During the first after party, Ginny and Neville were spotted down on the grounds, walking hand in hand. Harry approached Draco with the intent of consoling him, but the blond laughed and dismissed Harry with a wave of his hand, saying that he had only been trying to get Pansy Parkinson off his back with that rumor.

All too soon the show's run was over, and it was time for Greg to head back to Salem. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had gone with him to the train station to see him off, and he was almost on the train when Harry called out to him.

"Greg!" Harry jogged up to the car and looked at his new friend. "I pulled a couple of strings to get these," he said, taking some photographs from his pocket and handing them to Greg.

He unfolded them to see still shots of the riot outside Old Trafford Stadium from last year.

"There," said Harry, pointing at a figure in one of the photographs.

"Is that...?"

"Yeah," replied Harry. "Bellatrix."

"She was there too," said Greg softly.

"I thought you deserved to know," said Harry with a sad smile.

"Thank you," he nodded.

"One other thing," said Harry, fishing in his robes. "This was taken by a wizard at the match."

Greg unfolded it to see a wizarding photograph of the interior of the stadium during the match, the players chasing the ball up and down the pitch while the crowd was screaming wildly.

"I don't understand," said Greg, his brow furrowing.

"Colin Creevey is a bit of a photo genius you see," replied Harry taking one last photograph from his robes. "He managed to find a small portion of that photo and enlarge it quite a bit."

He handed it to Greg whose mouth opened slightly in shock. Staring back at him from the photo was Hannah and her parents, cheering fanatically.

"I...I..." stammered Greg.

"You don't need to say anything mate," replied Harry. "A good friend of mine once did something like that for me...I figured I could repay the favor."

"Thank you," whispered Greg, his eyes unmoving from the picture.

"Have a safe trip back to America," smiled Harry, clapping him on the shoulder. "Make sure you send an owl or two."

"You have my word," nodded Greg. "Tell everyone thank you for me."

"Will do," replied Harry, as the train whistle blew and Greg stepped on, closing the door behind him.

"See, Ron," said Hermione, as Harry walked back over to them. "All Americans aren't so bad."

"I guess not," smiled Ron. "I'm kinda gonna miss him, to be honest."

"I think we all will," said Harry, turning as the train pulled out of the station, speeding off towards the pink sunset in the horizon.

---------------

I quoted a popular comedic television show TWICE in this week's episode, so pumpkin pie to anyone who can tell me what series it is.

That's it for your American director, he's back off to the states. Hope you all liked him! A preview of next time!

The Company prepares for its newest production...and it's easily their craziest and most comedic show to date! Next time, on Hogwarts Drama Company:

Harry Potter, King of the Britons

Until next time!