Unofficial Portkey Archive

Even After Time by SwishAndFlick31
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Even After Time

SwishAndFlick31

Author's Note: Haha, I didn't take long at all… :D

--------------

September 4th, 2001 …

--------------

"Papa!" squealed Andrew giggling, as Harry tried to wash his son. He was in the bathtub, bubbles around him everywhere.

Harry grinned, holding Andrew securely with one hand as he washed him with the other. As he tried washing the bubbles out of his hair, however, he got very angry and protested, much to Harry's displeasure. He fussed and squirmed, trying to keep the bubbles everywhere on his body so he could play with them, but they were slowly gliding off his body. Harry tried taking a small bucket of water and dumping it on his son's head, thankful that the shampoo was safe for babies like him, yet annoyed because it had so many damn bubbles.

"Hold still," he muttered to Andrew, though it seemed like he was muttering to himself because Andrew tried standing up, though was constricted because of the grip Harry had on him.

Andrew started protesting some more, trying to slap his father's hand away to no avail. The water was quickly off him and Harry scooped him up (he was glad he took Hermione advice-finally-and didn't wear a shirt or pants when bathing Andrew-just a pair of shorts), wrapping the large blue towel that had bubbles on it around his small body. He grabbed a smaller towel, setting Andrew on the counter, holding him while he rubbed the remnants of water out of his hair.

Fifteen minutes later, Andrew was finally dressed. He crawled over to the corner of his and Hermione's bed, playing with the hem of his pants. Harry raised an eyebrow but did nothing, shrugging it off and taking a pair of low-rise boot jeans, a leather belt and his name brand shirt, going to the bathroom to change a minute later.

After changing, he found that Andrew had left. Leaving the bedroom, he looked left and right, wondering where he'd gone off. Walking into the kitchen, he saw Hermione finishing washing the dishes, Andrew standing and eating some seasoned rice with beans. She quickly finished, drying her hands and started to put the dishes away.

Harry walked in and helped her, and in no time the dishes were put away. "So," said Harry after they finished, "where are we going today?"

"I was thinking about a picnic," she voiced her thoughts, kneeling so she could take Andrew's empty bowl and into the sink. "Do you like the idea?" she asked, wiping off Andrew's messy face. He grinned and started babbling, walking out of the kitchen a moment later.

"Yeah," he answered, thinking about it. "It would be a nice place, and it seems like the weather will be nice," he continued, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and bringing her close. "I'm sure all of us would like a day of peace and quiet," he murmured.

She rubbed his arms, leaning her head so she could give him a soft kiss. "Then we could perhaps go sight seeing," she suggested, turning around so she could face him.

"That sounds good," he agreed, stealing a glance at his son, wondering where a good playground for younger children like him could play. He gave Hermione's forehead a soft kiss, moving away and opened the refrigerator. "When're we leaving?" he asked, taking the juice out and pouring himself a glass.

"Whenever you want," she answered. "It's about one, so I suppose we could wait a short while until we leave. What park are we going to, anyway?" she asked, leaning against the counter.

He shrugged, taking a large gulp of his juice. "I've never really been to any parks where people could picnic. I only went to the one that was by the Dursleys, and that was a playground, not an area where we could relax with our families."

Hermione nodded, thinking. "There's Richmond Park, one of the Royal Parks," she murmured to herself. "My parents always used to take me there when I was younger. They loved seeing the deer and the vast amount of land it had. It shouldn't be too far from here. There are also other parks around there, too, so everyone can have fun." She paused, wondering if there were any better choices. That is quite a lovely park, and I'm sure Andrew would love to play there.

"Richmond Park?" He shrugged. "Sounds like a nice place. I've never been there, but if you like it then there's no harm in spending a few hours there."

She nodded. "We can go around two, then." After seeing him nod in agreement she walked out of the kitchen and went into the bedroom. "I'm taking a shower!" she shouted from the room.

Harry sat on the couch and watched his son crawl around, occasionally stand and run somewhere if he felt the need to, and play with everything in sight. He leaned back, closing his eyes and thought about the day ahead of him, and what else could possibly happen that day.

If he still had his laptop from University (he supposed it was in one of their bags, shrunken and still in Hermione's purse somewhere) he'd be able to look up the park and see all of its features, location (he wondered how they were going to get there without one of them knowing where it actually was), and other things they could do. Maybe he could even buy a gift-his eyes widened, a small smile playing his lips.

Hermione's birthday, he instantly remembered. Of course, he had plenty of time-fifteen days, to be exact-but maybe he could find something nice yet simple for her, if they didn't go to the US before then.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair he thought. It will just have to wait. I might not even get time to get away from those two and buy a present. He sat and thought about what he could buy for Hermione. He was pulled out of his thoughts when he heard Andrew babbling. Furrowing his eyebrows, he turned and looked for his son. He was sitting on the floor by his blanket, his cell phone open and in hand. Oh god, he thought, standing up and going to Andrew.

"Mumma, Papa," he giggled and babbled.

Harry chuckled and swiftly took the phone from him. "Hello?"

"Oh hello Harry," greeted Andromeda, chuckling when she heard Andrew's protests over the line. "I'm guessing that was little Andrew babbling on?"

He chuckled, nodding. Giving Andrew a kiss at the top of his head as an apology for taking back his cell phone, Harry moved over to the couch and sat. "Yeah, he likes talking on mine and Hermione's cell phones. He's been doing this since he found out it vibrates."

"That's nice," she chuckled. "Listen, Teddy and I were wondering if Andrew could come over for a little while. Teddy's missed him so much, and he hasn't stopped mentioning Andrew. Perhaps you two could even have some time to yourselves. God knows you do, after going through years of classes and raising a child together."

"Well, actually we planned on going to Richmond Park today to have a picnic and enjoy the Royal Parks," he told her. "But perhaps sometime today we can drop Andrew off; I'm sure the two boys would like that," he agreed, nodding and looking at his son again. He was standing and playing with various toys again.

"Okay, no problem. Just phone before you drop him off, so I'll know," she told him.

"Sounds good."

After a slight pause, Andromeda talked again. "Well, I'd best get going. I have to buy some things and it's going to take such a long time with Teddy. I'll see you later, I assume?"

"Yes, sometime in the late afternoon I guess." After giving her a few parting words, he finally shut his phone and put it back where it originally was. Standing up and rubbing his eyes absently, he checked the time on his wristwatch. It was nearing one thirty. Shrugging, he made sure Andrew was all right before walking into his and Hermione's room.

He knocked on the bathroom door, wondering if she was finished. He heard her invite him in, so he opened the door and walked in. She was nearly dressed, wearing blue and white plaid knee shorts and a simple blue short-sleeved shirt. "Almost finished?" he asked.

"Almost," she agreed. They were quiet for a few minutes, each doing their own things. "Were you talking to someone a few minutes ago?" she asked, finished with everything she had to do in the bathroom. She leaned onto the bathroom counter and watched her husband absently play with the body spray in front of him.

"Yeah," he told her, "Andromeda called and invited Andrew over, said Teddy was missing him." He took off his glasses and gave them to Hermione, taking off his shirt next. "I told her that we could drop off Andrew sometime late afternoon." His body spray was soon over his torso and he looked at Hermione, waiting for her to say something. He grabbed his shirt, putting it back on and put his glasses back on.

"I have an odd feeling," murmured Hermione, placing her hand on her barely protruding stomach.

"About the baby?" he asked worriedly.

"No," she assured him, going to their bedroom. He followed her. "I just have this feeling that something is going to happen." She chuckled, shaking her head. "It's probably nothing."

He shrugged, "Maybe."

She sat on her vanity chair and started applying her makeup. "Why don't you see if Andrew is fed and ready? I'll be done in a few minutes, and then we can leave," she said.

"Okay," he nodded, looking at himself once more and at the room, making sure he wasn't forgetting anything. He remembered he didn't have his watch on, so he went to her table and grabbed it, putting it on as he left the room.

Andrew was lying on the floor, his eyes closed. Alarmed, Harry ran to his son, hoping something bad didn't happen. He picked him up, and instantly Andrew opened his eyes, wiping his face with his hands, oblivious to the fact that his father just breathed a sigh of relief. Bringing him close to his chest, taking the blanket with him, he stood up and set him on the couch. Walking over to the door, where their shoes were, he took his little sandals and started putting it on his feet.

Once the two male Potters had their shoes on, he set Andrew back on the floor and went to the kitchen, wondering if he should bring anything. Taking the baby bag he put a few bottles of water in there, along with Andrew's bottle. Walking back out, he took his keys, wallet, cell phone and wand, putting them in his pockets.

"Ready?" asked Hermione a few minutes later, walking towards the door and putting on her blue, flat sandals. He nodded, grabbing the baby bag and Andrew, holding him securely against his side. She took the baby bag from him and grabbed her purse, opening the door. "Do you have your cell?" she asked, locking the door.

He nodded, double-checking. "Okay, let's go," said Hermione, closing the door behind them and walking down the corridor.

--------------

They finally parked into the car park, after nearly one hour. Hermione wasn't the best of direction tellers, as Harry found out, because they got lost a few times, and had to ask for directions to get there. After finally making it, they parked and Harry started laughing.

"I thought Hermione Granger would be able to tell directions accurately," he teased, smirking at his wife.

"I'm Hermione Potter," she corrected, "so obviously my skills have diminished after receiving your name." She winked.

"Low blow," he said, leaning over and giving her a soft kiss. After parting, she gave him another wink and then left the car. He too exited the car, opening the back so he could get Andrew. He fell asleep during the drive, so he slowly woke up, snuggling close to his father when he picked him up. Locking the door, Harry stood by Hermione's side and waited for her to fix her shirt ("I feel like I'm showing," she muttered, adjusting her slightly tight shirt). After she finished, he handed Andrew to Hermione. He turned, opening the boot of the car and took out Andrew's plush stroller, putting him in there after opening and securing it.

Closing the boot, he took Hermione's hand and started going towards the park. "It looks so big," he murmured in mild amazement.

"There are many parks," she informed him, "Richmond Park just happens to be the biggest." He nodded in understanding.

They walked down the foot path, enjoying the scenery. They saw many couples sitting, having a picnic or going to the restaurant, and Hermione smiled, squeezing Harry's hand. She leaned slightly on him, all the while looking for a place they could have their own little picnic. After walking for a few minutes, each enjoying different aspects of the large, beautiful park, Hermione found a place where a children's playground was, with picnic tables near.

"Let's go here," she suggested, leading her family. Andrew babbled, seeing the playground, wanting to play now. When they got a bit closer, Harry let him down and the married couple sat on a nearby bench, keeping a steady eye on their son, since he was still very young.

Wrapping his arm around Hermione's shoulder, he looked around the park. Trees and bushes surrounded the area, and Harry concluded that this was one of the most beautiful natural sceneries he had seen in a long time. They saw Andrew try to go up a slide, and Hermione stood up and went to Andrew, shaking her head, looking at him sternly. Harry too went to his son and wife, sitting next to Hermione.

"I think we should just stay with him," said Harry. "At least he won't get hurt," he continued.

"That's a good idea," she agreed, letting Andrew down, who just tried to go up the slide again. Chuckling, Harry picked him up, trying to set his son on his shoulders.

Hermione just smiled, watching Harry play with his son.

--------------

It'd been about 3 since they arrived, and the family of three were starting to get hungry. After eating their lunch, they went back outside, but avoided the park this time, instead going for a nature walk. Harry sighed, trying to keep Andrew balanced on his side. Even though he was healthy and athletic, carrying his son around for a long time was making his arm tired.

"Hermione, can you unfold the stroller?" asked Harry, adjusting Andrew in his arms again. He would've let him walk, but even after a short while he'd started to get tired.

She did so quickly; making sure it was secure before she let her husband put their son into the comfortable chair. They walked around for a few more minutes, but then they saw an owl-one that looked surprisingly familiar-flying towards them. Harry's eyes widened, finally recognizing the bird. It was the owl that they'd gotten, years ago, while Ron and Ginny were still "writing" to them. He supposed it was one of their newer owls, since Ginny and Ron actually had a decent amount of money now, and Ron (or even Ginny) had sent them a letter.

But why? Harry wondered. He cautiously kneeled down, extremely glad that there was no one was near them. Frowning slightly, remembering he had no owl pellets or even water for him, he took the letter, hoping he'd wait. Luckily, he did. Standing up straight, he opened the letter, wrapping his arm around Hermione's shoulders so the two of them could read. Hermione gasped, recognizing the handwriting, the handwriting of Ron's.

Harry and Hermione,

Surprise, isn't it? That I'd be writing to you after all this time. Yeah, I think it is, too. Just listen, though.

I know our friendship is rocky (basically nonexistent, actually) and you two just want to go back to where you were before with your son, but I need to make it up to you two. Come to the Burrow at about 6, and don't bring your son. Please, Harry and Hermione, I'm still your friend. You know I've made past mistakes, but our friendship always follows through, right?

I hope you show.

Ron

"That was rather short, compared to the letters he used to write," he commented dryly. He rested his cheek on top of Hermione's head, closing his eyes for a moment.

"Should we go?" she wondered quietly.

He sighed, wondering the same thing. He was always willing to forgive his friend, but he'd gone too far the last time, and he wasn't too sure if he was as willing this time. Of course, over time, he might've forgiven him… but he wasn't too sure. He closed his eyes, his decision made.

"I think we should," he told her quietly. "Even if we don't get much out of it, at least we'll find out what he had to say."

She nodded, wrapping an arm around his waist. "I think you're right. And besides, we'll be left to wonder what he was going to say if we weren't going." She paused, resting a hand on her stomach. "What time is it?" she asked, letting go of Harry.

He checked his watch. It was almost half past five. "About five thirty," he told her. "I guess we could leave now…"

She sighed, "Are we going to call Andromeda? The letter said that we shouldn't bring Andrew." And it's a good thing too, because if he could've gotten hurt, someone would have to pay. Her eyes narrowed, remembering what Ginny had done, but tried to cool her sudden anger, knowing that her hormones were being jumpy.

He was already dialling her. After chatting with her for a few minutes, he closed his cell phone and turned Andrew's stroller around so they could go back to the car park. "She said she'd be delighted to have Andrew as long as we needed to be out," he told her, knowing she was going to ask in a few moments.

"I wonder what Ron's going to say," she wondered softly, leaning onto Harry as they walked. "Probably that he was manipulated and it was all Ginny's fault." She scoffed, shaking her head.

He closed his eyes for a moment, knowing that what his wife said was most likely true. He didn't like the thought of Ron pointing fingers at anyone, because it was his own fault, not just Ginny's. He chose to go with it from his own free choice, not choose the right way and stick up for his friends. I would've stuck up for my friends, he though immediately, no matter what they did to me in the past.

After about ten minutes, they finally got to the car park, and were soon on their way to Andromeda's home. As they drove to her home, the occupants in the car were silent. Andrew was taking a nap in his car seat and Hermione was in deep thought, while Harry was busy trying to focus his attention on the road, and not what Ron and possibly Ginny were going to say.

As he took the exit (just a few more minutes now, he thought) he wondered how they were going to get there. Now, without Andrew, they were able to apparate. No, he immediately corrected himself, Hermione's pregnant. Flooing would be best then, he reasoned, turning left onto the street.

Once they got to her house, they got out and brought a sleeping Andrew to the front door, Harry knocking a few short moments later. Andromeda answered almost immediately, a bright smile on her face. "Come in, come in," she said, opening the door more. As they walked in, she told them, "Teddy is taking a nap-oh, I see Andrew is too!" she chuckled. "Here love, let's get Andrew to Teddy's room and the boys can play when they wake up," she told Hermione, who was carrying Andrew. Nodding, the two left Harry and came back a few minutes later.

"Sorry for the short stay," said Harry, "but we have to go. Ron wanted us to visit the Burrow because he needed to tell us some things."

She nodded understandingly. "I see," she murmured, smiling a moment later. "Well, no problem dears. Remember what I told you on the phone: let Andrew stay as long as you want him to, you need to finish your business."

They nodded, thankful. "We'd better go soon," said Harry, checking the time. It was nearing six.

Hermione nodded, but then asked, "Where's the loo?" Andromeda told her where it was, and she disappeared.

"When do you reckon you're going back to the States?" she asked curiously. "Teddy will be so devastated when Andrew leaves."

Harry chuckled. "I honestly don't know, but I hope it's soon," he answered. "And I'm sure Andrew will be sad as well, Teddy was his first friend that wasn't an adult."

She nodded, settling herself on the couch. "You can leave your car here," she told him, "if you plan on flooing."

"Okay," he said and Hermione returned. "Ready?" he asked, to which she nodded, lacing her fingers through his. They made their way to the fireplace, Hermione going first. She clearly spoke her destination and disappeared in the emerald flames. He followed her, disappearing a few moments later.

Andromeda watched the two leave, silently wishing them the best.

--------------

Harry tumbled out of the fireplace, nearly hitting his head off the table. Taking off his glasses he shook his head, hoping to get the soot off. Hermione helped brush the rest of the soot off, and after he finished he took in his surroundings.

Ron sat on a dining chair, his legs crossed and one foot shaking. He was nervous, Hermione instantly noted, seeing his foot movements. She took a deep and steadying breath, adjusting her purse on her shoulder, and lightly touched Harry's arm, moving forward. Once the two were almost directly in front of them, the old Trio waited for someone to talk.

"Mum's in the garden," Ron started quietly, after a few minutes. "And everyone else except Ginny and I are out doing their own things." He paused, making sure they were hearing him. "I didn't want any disturbances or interruptions, because this is important."

Harry raised an eyebrow while Hermione nodded briskly, telling him to continue. Ron nervously stood up, looking at his friends. "I'm really sorry, I've really messed up, I know. I know I don't deserve your friendship, but hear me out: Ginny manipulated me," he told them, sincerely hoping they'd believe him. This was his last chance. "Yeah, I had my own choice but she was pushing all the right buttons at the right time! It was so hard to say no, and it was just too good to pass up.

"I was angry at you two, for leaving me behind," he continued, looking at Harry then Hermione. "Do you know how much that hurt me? That my two best mates left, leaving me to assume you could've been kidnapped, or even died? After we started sending the letters, you two didn't even bloody send a reply," he said angrily, glaring at them before forcing himself to calm down. "That was the only indication I got that you two were still living: my owl was still well fed and the letter was open.

"I thought I was pathetic after you visited me. I admitted what I did was a mistake, but you two made one, too." He took a breath, forcing himself to cool down even further. All of this pent up emotion was starting to surface, and to even get something forgiving out of the Potters, he'd have to keep his temper in check. "You could've told me you were going somewhere, you know. You didn't have to be all secretive about it; I might not have minded-"

"That's a lie," interrupted Hermione. "You would've been jealous and thrown a fit, knowing that Harry and I were going to fetch my parents without you." Harry stood there quietly, taking in everything Ron had said, and what he was about to say.

"Of course I would've `thrown a fit,'" he retorted heatedly. "My two best mates are leaving to some foreign country without even asking if I could go along. No, you two didn't even bloody do that, now did you? No, instead you two left-without telling anyone-"

"Would you be able to handle being disguised as a muggle?" asked Hermione, raising an eyebrow. "I wouldn't think so, and you don't know the reasons why Harry left with me."

"Then why didn't you tell me!?" he retorted, ready to shout. "Why, because I have the emotional range of a teaspoon? Is that why you couldn't even trust me enough to tell me?"

"You don't understand," Harry said softly.

Ron chuckled, rolling his eyes. "I don't understand, but Hermione does? Oh, she's always understood, hasn't she?" He glared at Harry, whose eyes were focused on a corner behind Ron's head.

He sighed, shaking his head. "I would've told you-really, I would have-but I just needed to get away from everything. And when Hermione told me she was going to Australia, it gave me the perfect opportunity to leave everything: the publicity, the questions, everything. I … I couldn't handle it," he told him, wishing he'd understand.

"That still doesn't excuse the fact that you two left without-"

"Why are we here?" asked Hermione agitatedly, her hormones getting the best of her. "I thought you were here to prove to us that you're our friend, not point out our mistakes, which we're currently paying for." Her eyes started pooling with tears, but she tried blinking them away, knowing that all three had made mistakes in the past.

He narrowed his eyes at her, but said nothing for a minute. Once his temper slightly cooled, he spoke again. "You're right, but what I'm saying is true too. I know I've made a mistake. I know what I've done is wrong, and I know I've done this before, but I can't help it! It's just… it's just how I am. It makes me, me."

"Just because you've realized your mistake doesn't mean you'll get forgiveness," said Hermione quietly, still angry. "You've deserted Harry and me twice already, and this was the last. I'm not too sure if I'm willing to forgive and forget this time around."

"You know how I am, Hermione," said Ron, his voice now quiet. "I'd been jealous of Harry when I was younger, and even when Ginny talked me into talking all that bull about you and Harry, but I still consider you two to be my closest friends." He paused, letting them take this all in. "You two know that I wouldn't fully abandon you," he continued. "I came back after I left you two in the tent, saving Harry's arse in the process. I do come back, I'm just very slow at it.

"Please," he said after a few minutes of silence. "Maybe if we could just… have a truce, maybe," he continued. "We try to look past our mistakes and try to rekindle our friendship. Please, guys. You two are so special to me."

Harry closed his eyes, wishing he could forgive him easily. He wanted to-he wanted to so bad-but knew he couldn't. What he did-what they­­ did-was major, and they couldn't just forgive and forget, just as Hermione had said. All of them made mistakes, but they couldn't just get past it and go on having their friendship like they were fourteen again. He and Hermione were married, with a child and another one on the way. They had their own lives, and Ron had his own. They couldn't just leave everything behind and start anew.

"It's not that easy," said Harry, looking at Ron. "I admit, Hermione and I made mistakes too, but we can't just start being best friends like nothing ever happened. We live on two different continents, Hermione and I are parents, and you're this bachelor living in England, free as a bird. Each of us have jobs, lives to live, and… it's not as easy as you think it is."

"I never said it was easy!" he retorted. "I never said it was going to be easy. I just… I just want to get somewhere."

Hermione sighed, leaning onto Harry for a moment before straightening herself out once more. "I'm sorry, Ron. You'll have to give me, and presumably Harry, some time. Before we forgave you easily, but we were going and naïve back then. Now…" She sighed, letting her hand rest on her abdomen. "Just give us time."

"How much?" asked Ron quietly, feeling like he knew the answer already.

"I don't know," she whispered.

He nodded once, looking at Harry. He didn't meet his eyes.

"I think you should leave now," Ron said after a few minutes, his voice abnormally quiet.

They nodded, turning. Soon, they vanished in the emerald flames, leaving Ron alone.

Author's Notes: Well, this isn't exactly how I imagined it to be. I actually planned Ginny to come downstairs and bash everyone, but I thought it'd be sort of better to have a verbal lashing from Ron. It'd be more effective, in a way.

Sometimes, I do believe that Ron is just a tad slow. He is a loyal friend, but he just makes the wrong decisions. I don't know, that's just what I believe. He's very easily fooled and manipulated, and if he became a stronger person inside-ignorant to Harry's fame and fortune, rather looking at what he has and Harry didn't-he'd be the absolute best friend, ever.

But yeah, enough about Ron.

Hmm… probably a half chapter- half epilogue next time, and that's it! Unless you guys still want the series. Because I sincerely don't feel like writing it if no one wants to read it. Please, tell me, because you guys motivate me.

Until next time!

-->