Unofficial Portkey Archive

Kissing the Wrong Santa by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Kissing the Wrong Santa

Harry85

Disclaimer: Not mine. You know how it would have ended if it was, right?

A/N: My response to the "Kissing Santa" Challenge by leochick, which can be found here: http://talk.portkey.org/index.php?showtopic=26200. Hope you'll enjoy it, and please leave me a comment if you read, so that I know what you think of it.

Kissing The Wrong Santa

Chapter Eight: The Rookie

She must have recognized him too, as her eyes widened, and then she smiled at him.

Hermione didn't miss a thing of the exchange, and wondered what was going on there.

One after the other, the rookies were called by Lupin and assigned to a team of Aurors. Finally the turn of the girl came.

"Sarah O'Brien" Lupin called, and stepped forward.

"You're going to be assigned to the Aurors…Potter and Granger. Good luck"

Harry and Hermione stood up and went to meet their new apprentice, while Lupin passed Harry the file about the girl, and his instructions on her accommodations.

"Hi, Sarah. It's going to be a pleasure working with you" Harry said, shaking her hand. "Let me introduce you to my best friend of many years, Hermione Granger"

Hermione smiled politely and shook the girl's hand too.

"Well, I guess we better head back to our offices, there's lots of work to be done" Harry sighed. "This way" he then announced, showing Sarah the way. Once they had arrived, Harry put his hands in his pockets.

"Well, Hermione…I guess we will see each other in few minutes, just the time I help Sarah get settled in my room and then we will be in your office to take a look at those reports" he said.

"Why in your room and not in mine?" Hermione couldn't help but ask. Harry looked at her strangely.

"Because Lupin said so in his instructions" he replied.

"Oh, ok" Hermione said, blushing a tiny bit. "I'll see you in few minutes then" she said, entering her room.

Harry stood there, rooted to the spot, wondering what had all that been about.

"Hem…Harry?" Sarah asked in a gentle voice.

"Yes?" he asked, turning toward her.

"Are we going to enter your room or not?" she smiled.

"Oh, yes, right" Harry grinned sheepishly, scratching his head. "Sorry about that" he said, leading her in.

She followed him inside, and waited for his orders of where she should settle.

"Here, let's enlarge this room and conjure furniture for you" Harry said, and with a couple flicks of his wand, the room grew to twice its size and a beautiful oak table with a comfy chair appeared.

"Oh, this is great!" she squealed like a little girl. Then recomposed herself. "sorry about hat, it's just I'm so excited about this job! My family has been in the Law Enforcement field for generations, you know"

Harry nodded. "O'Brien, right? I've heard about many Aurors with this surname who worked here many years ago…"

"Those would be my grandfather and the ones before him…my father is an Auror too, but in the U.S.A." she explained. "He left me and my mum when I was five"

"I'm sorry to hear that" Harry said. Then he couldn't stop his curiosity anymore. "Can I ask you what were you doing in a Muggle pub yesterday night if you are a witch?"

"The same goes about you, Mr. Potter" she teased him. "You're a wizard and were with other wizards in a Muggle pub too"

"Touché" he laughed. "But I have a reason. One of my friends of yesterday night is Muggle-born and he loves Muggle pubs"

"And I have a reason too," she smiled while unpacking the few items she had taken with her to decorate her part of the room. "as I'm Muggle-born too"

"You went to Hogwarts?" he asked her while opening the door as she could exit. They were heading to Hermione's office. "I don't remember you…"

"Actually, I went to Beauxbatons. My mother's second husband is French, so they live there now. I've always wanted to come back to England though, so here I am"

Harry nodded, and knocked on Hermione's door.

"It's us" he announced, before entering the room.

Hermione greeted them, and they started working on the reports about the last Death Eater sightings. As they worked, Hermione couldn't help checking that new girl, but with time she relaxed. She could see she was capable and loved the job.

Sarah had actually come up with interesting theories on why those sightings seemed to be all in the East Europe, which gained her Harry's praising. Hermione had to admit she was brilliant.

After lunch, Harry had to run an errand for Lupin, so he left the two girls alone, "so that you two can have your bonding time" he joked.

Hermione caught the chance to ask the question she had bit back all day.

"So…I got the impression you already knew Harry…" she said, while sipping her coffee. Sarah did the same, nodding. "Yes, we casually met last night at a pub, he was there with some of his friends. Actually, I bumped into him as I tripped, it was quite a klutzy thing to do, I admit, and he gentlemanly helped me stand up. Then I offered him a drink as a thank you"

Hermione nodded, thoughtfully.

"Nothing else happened, if this is what you think" Sarah hotly continued, but Hermione raised her hand.

"I never implied that, Sarah. I actually think you're quite capable as an Auror, and I'd like to not start on the wrong foot with you, over something this trivial. After all, I have no right to intrude into Harry's love life, even if something else had happened"

Sarah relaxed, and smiled. "I like you lots too, Hermione. I've heard you've been the best witch at Hogwarts in a century or so, I'd love to be as smart as you"

Hermione blushed at the compliment. "Thanks, I guess" then she checked her watch. "We better head back to the office, Harry might be back any minute"

So they paid for their coffees, and left, pleasurably chatting all the way to Hermione's room.

Later that afternoon, Sarah was called into Lupin's office with the other rookies as he wanted to have a chat with them about how they were doing.

"You can take your things, there's no need to come back here once you're done there" Harry told her smiling warmly. "We'll see you tomorrow"

"Ok, then. Good evening to both of you" Sarah wished them then left with a last hello.

Hermione and Harry continued their work, till the clock signalled five o'clock.

Harry rubbed his eyes tiredly. "What do you say if we call it a day and head home? I'm still a bit tired because of yesterday night…"

"Serves you right" Hermione told him sticking out her tongue. Harry gave her his puppy dog eyes, which usually always worked, and she huffed. "You know I can't tell you no when you make that face, right?"

He grinned. "That's why I do it" he said, picking up his things.

Hermione did the same shaking her head with a smile. As they headed outside the Ministry, Harry couldn't stop himself.

"So, what do you think of Sarah?"

Hermione eyed him a bit suspiciously. "Well, I can tell she's an hard worker and she's smart. Why do you ask?"

Harry shrugged. "Just wanted your opinion on her. And, so that you know, I think the same things you do" he ended with a smile.

Hermione was dying of curiosity. It was not that she didn't trust the girl, but she wanted to be sure. "She told me about yesterday night" she innocently told Harry.

"Ah, yes. You should have seen her when she bumped into me" Harry chuckled. "I just had to help her stand up, she looked so mortified. And then she offered me a drink as a thank you, can you believe it?" he said, not knowing that Hermione was comparing his words to what Sarah ahd said her before.

She relaxed, realising it was true that nothing had happened, and smiled. "What's so strange in that?"

"Well, nothing, if you think of it, but it's the first time it happens to me" he grinned. "Well, I guess we should head our separate ways now"

They had in fact come to the Ministry entrance.

"Right" Hermione said, then without thinking she kissed him on the cheek. "Have a nice evening, Harry" she said.

He stood there, a bit troubled. She looked at him, and realized her mistake.

"Oh, Harry, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable!" she said.

"It's nothing" he reassured her putting up a brave face, but he was still revelling in the touch of her lips on his skin. "I'll see you tomorrow" he said, and with that he was gone.

Hermione sighed, and Apparated away herself.

-->