Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time-Meddlers by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time-Meddlers

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

The Time Meddlers

Chapter Nine - Barty Crouch Jr.

Throughout the next week, Harry and Hermione half-expected to see Horace Slughorn show up at breakfast, but surprisingly, he never did. They both had to admit that they enjoyed the first Potions lesson that Dumbledore, who was an alchemist and had worked with Nicolas Flamel, taught.

"Good morning, class," he said jovially, with a twinkle in his eyes. "It has been a long time since I actually got to teach. As headmaster, I find myself too busy with other responsibilities to actually do what I enjoy most - teaching. Today, we will be learning about the potion used to reduce pain when rubbed on your skin. Does anybody know what it's called?" It was no great surprise to the class when Hermione raised her hand. Harry smiled to himself over the fact of that one quality that did not change in his girlfriend over the years. "Yes, Miss Granger?"

"It must be the poena macero potion. The other possibility, the excrucio macero potion is stronger, but far too complex for anything less than a N.E.W.T. level class."

"That is correct, Miss Granger. Five points to Gryffindor." He then pointed his wand at the blackboard, which suddenly had the instructions listed. "Who can tell me the attributes of the first ingredient?"

The class went on like that, so for the first fifteen minutes, the class discussed the potion and its ingredients, so that they actually learned something about the potion they were brewing as opposed to just following instructions. Dumbledore did give points to the few Slytherins who were able to answer his questions. Draco Malfoy was not among those. He just sat there silently with a scowl on his face until it was time to start brewing. Harry was surprised that Neville had answered some of the questions about the ingredients.

Harry was cutting up his first ingredient when he heard Professor Dumbledore's jovial voice. "Mr. Malfoy, would you be so kind as to explain why you are emptying that bottle of completed poena macero into your cauldron?"

Harry grinned as Draco paled. "I, er, made it earlier today."

In a friendly tone, Dumbledore said while walking up to Malfoy, "Then the package I saw you receive this morning from Antonio's Apothecary has absolutely nothing to do with it? And the fact that the bottle in your hand has their logo clearly printed on it is just a coincidence?"

"Er, I just had the bottle from a long time ago and…"

"I see." Dumbledore took the container from him. "Since you are an expert brewer of this potion, I'd like to observe your process first hand. Perhaps I will learn a new trick or two." The whole class chuckled at the way the headmaster sounded completely sincere, yet made it obvious to everyone that he knew Draco was planning on cheating. Harry went back to chopping ingredients and managed a nearly perfect light blue potion, whereas Draco's ended up looking like tar.

"I always suspected that Malfoy had cheated his way through Potions class, and now we have the proof," said Harry as he and his girlfriend walked out of class with Neville.

"Always?" the Longbottom heir asked. "We've only been here a bit more than a month."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other for a moment before Harry said, "That's what I meant. For this whole month, I've thought he was always cheating. I don't think he ever does his own work - not just in Potions. That's why it was so easy to beat him in that duel. He's all talk."

"Yeah," agreed Neville. "I doubt he's much smarter than those goons he hangs out with. What are their names?"

"Crabbe and Goyle," answered Hermione. "By the way, I noticed that your potion looked better than Harry's today." The Boy-Who-Lived glared at her for a second.

Neville blushed as he answered, "Potions is actually pretty easy if you understand the ingredients. It's just that before, with Snape breathing down my neck…"

"Say no more," said Harry. "We all understand."

"Anyway, since we actually talked about the ingredients, I realized that we've worked with most of them in Herbology, and the few we haven't studied are in the next few chapters of the book."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

It was the next day that Harry finally saw a new face at the head table. It was a fairly attractive middle-aged woman with black curly hair that went just past her shoulders. She had blue eyes and brown skin and was wearing light purple robes. Professor Dumbledore stood up to make an announcement.

"Good morning, everyone. I'd like to introduce our new Potions Mistress - Felicity Brewster. As Professor Brewster is a Gryffindor Alumni, Professor Vector will continue on as the Head of Slytherin." The Gryffindors were cheering loudly while everyone else was politely clapping. Draco looked like Christmas had been cancelled for the year.

A few minutes after the announcement, Harry received an owl that left a letter that read:

Dear Mr. Potter,

Headmaster Dumbledore has asked me to oversee the detention he assigned you during your meeting with him last week. Please report to my office after dinner tonight to serve it.

Professor McGonagall

"What do you think she'll have you do?" asked Hermione when she read the note.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know, but I doubt it'll be terrible. She still feels bad about the last detention she gave me and knows about the two detentions I had to serve for allowing Snape to pour that potion on me."

"She did specify that she was only giving you a detention at all because the headmaster told her to," commented Neville, who was sitting across from them.

"True," agreed Hermione, who looked at Harry. "I don't think you'll have anything to worry about."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

That night, Harry found himself warmly welcomed into Professor McGonagall's office after supper.

"Good evening, Harry," she said before closing the door and performing a few privacy charms.

"Good evening, Professor," he replied.

"Have a seat." As he sat down, he noticed that the memory sphere he'd given her was still in a place of prominence.

McGonagall sat down at her desk. "Mr. Potter, firstly, I'd like to thank you for pushing to improve this school - specifically the way Potions class was handled. Mr. Snape was an embarrassment to have as a colleague, and was slowly eroding Hogwarts' reputation as the finest magical institution in Europe. I wish that we hadn't needed to go to the press, using your celebrity status, but since the headmaster refused to listen to anybody regarding Mr. Snape, I know we did the right thing. At this moment, the Headmaster is unaware of the fact that I helped you prepare your press package, and I would like to keep it that way." Harry nodded with a grin and she continued.

"I'm also aware that in the short month you've been here, you have already served a number of unfair detentions, and know that Mr. Malfoy has managed to avoid the detentions assigned to him by Mr. Snape. I hope that you haven't already developed a hatred for Hogwarts."

He chuckled a bit. "No, I haven't. Hogwarts just needed a house-cleaning." He then looked thoughtful. "I wonder if anything can be done about Binns. No one ever learns anything in his class, either."

"Professor Binns has been teaching at Hogwarts for longer than any other staff member, and has no record of bullying or otherwise harassing students. It would be rather difficult to get him sacked solely because his lectures are less than captivating."

"I understand," replied Harry.

"Very good." She sighed. "All that I've mentioned being true, plus the fact that Professor Dumbledore was unreasonably stubborn regarding Mr. Snape does not negate the fact that you were insubordinate to the headmaster. You must at least respect his position."

Harry sighed, remembering how at different points in the previous timeline both Umbridge and Snape had served in Dumbledore's position at Hogwarts. "I don't respect positions - just people. If someone behaves in a manner that I respect, then they have my respect. If they abuse their position, then they don't have my respect." He sighed. "Snape obviously abused his position, and I believe that the Headmaster was abusing his by insisting that Snape continue on here no matter how many students, parents and staff members disagreed. It's like he was dictator here and was going to have his way no matter who didn't like it." Harry then added, "He didn't even care what his Deputy Headmistress thought."

Minerva seemed to be silently agreeing with his statements, although Harry knew she'd never admit it. Finally, after a few seconds of silence, she replied. "You speak much more like an adult than a child."

"I haven't really been a child since Dumbledore abandoned me on the Dursleys' porch," he replied sadly.

Her face paled slightly. "That day, I watched your family as a cat and tried to talk the headmaster out of leaving you there." She seemed hesitant, but pressed on like a true Gryffindor. "How bad is it with them?"

Harry decided that bluntness was the best approach, but truthfully had never really told anyone but Hermione about his time with his `family.' Even then, he only skimmed over to worst parts. He took a deep breath, deciding to start with a simple fact. "You may or may not know it, but my first Hogwarts letter was addressed to `the cupboard under the stairs.'"

"What?" she asked, clearly shocked.

He nodded nervously, taking another breath, while beginning to feel a slight stinging sensation behind his eyes. "Th-that's because that was my bedroom." He blinked his eyes, realizing that tears were actually threatening to come. He thought he'd done enough crying for his lifetime while locked alone in his cupboard, and hadn't cried in years. "My cousin Dudley had two rooms to himself while I was locked in a cupboard, and only let out when they had chores for me to do while their baby whale sat in front of the tele!" Now, he wasn't just feeling self-pity; he was feeling rage that he'd suppressed for years. He half-yelled, "I didn't know my name or birthday until they had to send me to school. I was always called `Boy,' or `Freak' and told my parents were drunks who died in a car crash."

She looked down at her desk, obviously battling her own emotions. "Hagrid mentioned that last part to me," she said softly. She looked thoughtful for a moment before continuing, "Will you be alright spending the summer with them?"

He shrugged his shoulders and closed his eyes, trying to get his emotions back under control. "I'm not sure. We came to a deal last summer after I met Hagrid. They want me to find other arrangements for this summer, and to tell you the truth, I'd just as soon never see them again."

Sighing heavily, Minerva said, "That'll be all. Your detention is over." With a slight smirk, she added, "If anybody asks, I had you scrubbing the floor of the Transfiguration classroom until you passed out in exhaustion."

He grinned at her. "Thanks, Professor McGonagall."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

The next morning at breakfast, a brown owl flew in with the rest of the mail and landed in front of Harry. He gave it a piece of bacon before relieving it of its rolled up parchment. He carefully held it so that only he could read it, mainly because he didn't want Neville or anyone else to see it. He'd tell Hermione what it said later.

Tox

I hope this letter reaches you, since I doubt `Tox' is your real name.

As requested, I made a few inquiries regarding Pettigrew and found out that he's been put in Azkaban, but they're still `investigating' his case and identity. Barty Crouch originally threw Sirius Black into prison without a trial and it seems like he's using his influence to delay proving that he was wrong and literally stole ten years from an innocent man's life because he didn't follow proper procedure. I've been assured that they will eventually conduct a trial, but I had the distinct feeling that the person speaking was trying to pacify me.

I'll let you know any new developments.

Auror Shacklebolt

P.S. Write me back so that I at least know that this parchment addressed to `Tox' reached you.

Harry frowned as he read most of the letter, but smiled at the end. He had performed a particular spell that caused owls to recognize him as both Harry Potter and Tox, the Marauder name he'd given to himself. He sighed as he thought about the rest of the letter. The more he thought about the evil actions of Barty Crouch, the better he felt about his and Hermione's plan.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

On Thursday morning, after breakfast, Harry and Hermione disguised and disillusioned themselves and made their way to the One-Eyed Witch passage. As before, once they were clear of Hogwarts' anti-apparition field, they popped away.

They popped in (while still invisible) outside of a house that they'd had to previously locate on a map. They were glad that Crouch Manor was plotable. The young couple gazed at the three-story mansion made of white brick. It was very elegant-looking to Harry. He pulled a previously written note out of his pocket and said, "It's time for phase one."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

On the pristine floor of the kitchen, a small figure was on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor until it practically glowed. The house-elf appeared to enjoy her work, and was hardly paying any attention to her environment because her master would punish her if everything wasn't exactly perfect. She didn't notice the great horned owl flying in through the window until it hooted at her.

The elf turned around and saw the beautiful bird with mostly brown and white feathers looking at her with its wide eyes. It had a small note tied to its leg. "Master isn't being here to get the note," said the elf, causing the owl to fly closer and move its leg so that the servant could read whom the note was addressed to.

The Crouch Family Elf

"That is being Winky," she said before untying the scroll. "Winky isn't ever receiving post before." She unrolled it and continued reading.

Mr. Crouch is feeling a bit under the weather, and has requested that his elf purchase some pepper-up potion at an apothecary and bring it to him at the Ministry.

Percival Weatherby

Winky looked terrified. "Master is ill! Master is ill! Winky must be helping him!" With that, she popped off. The owl flew to the window and hooted once.

One minute later, Harry and Hermione were standing in the bedroom where Death Eater Barty Crouch, Jr. was lying. Harry had pulled the invisibility cloak off of the fugitive and saw that he was lying perfectly still, under the effects of Crouch Sr.'s spells. He handed the cloak to Hermione. "Here. Hold onto this and go to the other room. There's no reason you need to see this."

She took his left hand with her right while stuffing the cloak into a pocket with her other hand. "We're in this together. If you're doing wrong, then we both are. We know what this Death Eater has done, and what he wants to do. The Ministry can't keep criminals in Azkaban, so this is the only way to make sure they can't hurt anyone else."

Taking a deep breath, he pointed his Yew wand at Barty Crouch, Junior's throat. "Sectumsempra." Harry had aimed so that death was instantaneous and painless. "Let's get…"

Pop!

Harry turned to see a house-elf with the most enraged expression he'd ever imagined. "You's killed Young Master!" she shouted at the two cloaked strangers before holding out her hand.

BOOM!!!! Both figures found themselves thrown into the wall, the wind knocked out of them. Harry knew he'd be bruised up and guessed the same was true of Hermione, who was holding her ribcage and appeared to be in tremendous pain. He pointed his wand at the mad elf. "Stupefy!"

She dodged it and sent another spell toward Hermione. He grabbed his girlfriend and pulled her out of the way, with her screaming obscenities at him the whole time. He wondered if her ribs were broken. Harry didn't want to hurt Winky seriously, but he had to defend himself (as well as his girlfriend), so he shouted, "Reducto!" while pointing his wand at the floor in front of the elf. The floor broke open, causing the elf to lose her footing. "Stupefy!" he shouted again. This time, he caught the house-elf in the chest, knocking her out. Harry picked up and carried Hermione quickly to the door and apparated as soon as they were clear of the house's defenses, glancing at his watch before disappearing with a small pop.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

They reappeared inside the poorly-lit tunnel beneath Honeydukes, and Harry could finally take the time to examine his love, who was crying in pain. During their months dodging Voldemort, he had learned a basic healing spell that would mend bones, but not heal the surrounding muscle and flesh. The result was that the person could move, but was in some pain. He performed the spell on Hermione.

"Thanks," she said. "I think my ribs are alright and nothing was permanently damaged." She got up and winced. "I'll be in a bit of pain for a few days, but I should be alright."

"Winky sure packed quite a wallop," he commented before putting his arm around her. "Let's get to class. Once we're at the passage, we'll see how much time we need to make."

Upon arriving at the exit of their passage, Harry glanced at his watch, lighting the display so he could read it. He said, "If we go back two hours, we'll have plenty of time," as he put the necklace around both of them.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Hermione was walking a bit slower than usual, but otherwise seemed normal. Harry was walking slightly behind her, ready to catch her just in case she had a problem. They made their way into the Transfiguration classroom just in time and took their seats. The professor walked up to the front of the class and began to take role. When she got to Hermione, she paused and stared at her face for a few seconds before asking, "Miss Granger, how did you get that bruise on your cheek?"

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

-->