Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Time-Meddlers by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Time-Meddlers

witowsmp

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

The Time Meddlers

Chapter Five - Preparations

The famous diadem worn by Rowena Ravenclaw, on which is inscribed the phrase, `Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure,' was rumored to bestow wisdom when worn. However, it was never located among Ravenclaw's possessions after her death, so no one has seen it for over 1,000 years.

"What are you reading?"

Harry's best friend's voice caused him to look up from the tome he was rereading. He'd been wondering if Ravenclaw's Diadem could possibly be one of the missing Horcruxes. He grinned at Hermione. "Surely you recognize this book."

She looked a bit more closely at it, and immediately smiled at him. "Hogwarts, a History. I didn't think you'd reread it. I thought I was the only one."

"It's a fascinating book. I was just reading about Rowena Ravenclaw. She was supposed to have something to wear on her head that made her wise."

"Her tiara," she stated.

"You mean diadem," Harry corrected.

"They mean the same thing," she said with a grin.

"Do you know if any books have a picture of it?"

"I haven't seen any, but there are probably some in the library. Why?"

"No reason," he answered quickly.

"Harry, people have been trying to find it for 1,000 years. Don't tell me you think you will?" she said in her sometimes annoying know-it-all tone of voice.

Not wanting to argue with her, and knowing that he couldn't explain his true interest in it until she was her `old self' in a few weeks, Harry replied, "No, I don't."

"Good," she replied, though she didn't seem convinced. "Besides, I think using something like that would be cheating. You're supposed to learn by studying and gaining experience, not by wearing a magical device."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Over the next week, Harry and Hermione collected memories of Snape from Gryffindors of every year, most of which told them that McGonagall had done the same. They had decided not to include Fred and George, since their memories would probably contain a provocation for Snape's behavior. They also asked each donor to keep it a secret so that Dumbledore wouldn't find out about it and interfere.

Mainly because he really wanted to play Quidditch again, Harry decided to let the `remembrall incident' during flying lessons happen exactly as it had the first time around, and, just as before, McGonagall put him on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. However, Harry had different plans for the aftermath.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Harry was sitting with his friends at Gryffindor table when Malfoy showed up, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle.

"Having a last meal, Potter? When are you getting the train back to the Muggles?" he asked, ignorant of what had actually happened, believing that Potter was being expelled.

Harry repeated the words he'd said the first time around. "You're a lot braver now that you're back on the ground and you've got your little friends with you."

"I'd take you on anytime on my own," said Malfoy. "Tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel."

Loudly, so that his voice would carry, Harry replied, "That sounds like an excellent idea, but not tonight. Professor Lupin, could you come here?"

The D.A.D.A. instructor got up from the staff table, looking puzzled. Harry noticed that now almost every eye in the Great Hall was on him. Draco and the others were all looking at Harry strangely. Once Lupin was close enough, he said, "Malfoy here has just challenged me to a wizard's duel, and I'd like to accept. I was hoping it could be for extra credit."

"Harry, what are you doing?" hissed Hermione into his ear.

The Marauder looked from Harry's determined face to Draco's frightened one, and a small grin appeared on his face. "An excellent suggestion, Mr. Potter," he replied. "When and where would you like it?"

Draco said, "Er, in your classroom in a week?"

"Nonsense," retorted Harry cheerfully. "When I beat you I want it to be in front of everybody - right here - and I'd like it to be right after dinner." He then looked into Draco's eyes. "Unless you're scared and need time to plan how to cheat."

"I'm not scared," he declared stubbornly, causing Harry to smile even brighter.

"Excellent," said Lupin, whom Harry realized knew all about Draco and his Death Eater father. "We'll keep it wands only - a duel until one of you is disarmed or incapacitated. No dark curses. We'll also only allow first-years as your seconds. Speaking of which..." he looked at them expectantly.

The Boy-Who-Lived turned to his best friend. "Hermione, would you be my second?"

She looked a bit pale. "Are you sure? I don't…"

"You're the smartest witch in our year, Hermione. I have full confidence in you."

She blushed slightly at his praise. "If you're sure, then I accept."

Draco looked at his companions. "Crabbe is my second," he said arrogantly.

"Very well. I'll arrange it with the headmaster," said Remus before leaving them.

"Two purebloods against a half-blood and a mudblood," commented Draco.

With the same look in his eyes he'd had when he killed Umbridge in another time, Harry said, "Before the duel is over, I'm gonna see some of your pure-blood on the floor."

Draco gulped but tried to look brave as he said, "We've got to get back to the Slytherin table."

While Harry was watching his minor enemies make their way to their table, he could already hear Fred and George taking bets on the duel. He even heard Neville put a Galleon on him. The gossip about the upcoming fight had spread across all the tables, so that it really was unnecessary when Dumbledore made his announcement at the end of the meal.

"May I have your attention, everyone? It seems that we will have some entertainment tonight. Mr. Malfoy of Slytherin and Mr. Potter of Gryffindor have agreed to duel for all who wish to observe," Dumbledore said with a twinkle in his eyes. "The winner will receive extra credit in Defense Against the Dark Arts, as well as Ten house points. Professor Lupin will be referee." Harry actually believed that Albus liked the idea, but he could tell that McGonagall was against it. Snape was currently whispering in Draco's ear, no doubt trying to teach the half-squib some spells. "If you'd all stand against the walls, I shall rearrange the furniture to accommodate this distraction."

All the students complied, and before long, Dumbledore was waving his wand, causing two of the tables to combine and then transform into a dueling platform. The other tables were transfigured into bleachers.

Harry found himself standing at one end with Hermione and Professor McGonagall, while Malfoy, Crabbe and Snape were at the other end. Minerva wasn't pleased, but she was there as his head of house. Harry noticed that Madam Pomfrey was nearby and didn't look happy.

McGonagall looked at Harry. "I can't believe you got yourself into this, Mr. Potter."

With the most innocent expression he could make, Harry answered, "He wanted us to have the duel at midnight - against the rules. Now, I can't just refuse and act like a coward. I am a Gryffindor, and I'm not afraid of him. He does nothing but spout that pureblood nonsense, and I'm gonna put him in his place."

"Fighting isn't always the answer, Mr. Potter."

With a stern look, he faced his head of house. "My parents, along with countless others, gave their lives to stop this prejudice. I will not put up with it."

"Very well," she said. "Make Gryffindor proud."

Hermione then said, "Good luck."

He grinned at her and winked. "Thanks."

At that moment, Lupin performed a Sonorus spell on his throat. "Duelists, take your positions." Harry walked up to a red X that was on the floor and took out his wand, assuming a dueling stance. Harry wondered if Draco would start early, and was ready to respond. "You'll duel until one of you is disarmed or incapacitated. Remember no dark spells. Professor Dumbledore shielded the platform so no spells can accidentally hit the audience. You'll begin at the count of three. One, two…"

"Serpensortia!" Draco bellowed, causing a long, black snake to shoot out of his wand.

As quickly as possible, Harry said, "Evanesco," vanishing the snake, followed by, "Wingardium Leviosa," causing Draco to begin rising above the floor.

The Slytherin was moving about unevenly as Harry moved his wand a bit to cause turbulence while he rose higher from the ground. His face was obviously terrified, and people in the crowd were snickering at him. When he was about six feet above the platform, he managed to say, "L-let me down, Potter," trying to sound brave.

Ignoring him, and in a condescending tone, Harry asked, "Didn't your mummy ever teach you how to count? Three comes after two. Or is it different for purebloods?" Lots of people laughed out loud at that as Draco rose further toward the ceiling.

"Let me down, you son-of-a-mudblood!" he shouted, clearly scared. Many people in the crowd gasped at his language.

Draco finally was beginning to aim his wand despite the unsteadiness of his ascent, so Harry let the spell go for a moment, causing him to fall from fifteen feet toward the ground. He caught Malfoy at the last second with another casual, "Wingardium Leviosa." At that moment, everyone noticed a small trickle of liquid leaking out of the left leg of Draco's trousers and laughed. However, Harry ignored that as he scolded Malfoy while shaking his head in mock disappointment. "Such language. Very well." From about three feet up, Harry released the spell and his victim fell. Harry calmly waited for him to get up while faking a yawn.

"Rictusempra," Draco shouted from the floor, shooting a jet of silver light at Harry's face.

He quickly squatted and the beam went over his head. Harry then shot a cheering charm at his opponent, which hit him square in the chest. Malfoy started laughing uncontrollably, doubling over in mirth as the rest of the crowd laughed at his predicament. With a trembling hand, Draco pointed his wand at Harry again, who decided to put him in a leg-locker curse. While still laughing, the prince of Slytherin was now hopping and desperately trying to avoid falling on his face. Harry decided to end it now.

He pointed his wand at Draco and shouted, "Infligo!" A yellow light shot out of his wand and hit Malfoy in the nose, simulating the affect of punching him. Nose bleeding, Draco dropped his wand before falling over backwards, tears now streaming from his eyes, yet still laughing. Most of the crowd cheered.

Remembering how this boy had murdered Neville by shooting him in the back, Harry showed no pity as he walked forward and picked up Draco's wand. Harry faced the crowd and loudly announced with a smirk, "Look at the rich, pure blood flowing freely from his nose. I've never seen such blood before! And the magnificent grace with which he fell on his…"

"Mr. Potter! That's quite enough," McGonagall interrupted him sternly, causing the crowd to laugh some more.

Lupin announced, "Harry Potter is the winner!" and allowed Madam Pomfrey to treat Draco.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

When Harry arrived at Gryffindor Tower, he was given a hero's welcome! Fred and George had acquired Butterbeer for the spontaneous party while many of his fellow Gryffindors were congratulating him for humiliating that Slytherin.

"That was a…" said Fred.

"Good show!" said George.

Even Percy commented that Harry made an excellent use of the Levitation charm, and was impressed that he'd already mastered it over a month before Professor Flitwick covered it in his first-year Charms class. Harry admitted to reading ahead, and also to having purchased a book on common jinxes that he learned the other spells he'd used in the duel from. He figured that was the best explanation for his skills. He had made sure not to use any spell that was too advanced for someone his physical age to have mastered.

Others were laughing at how Draco had been humiliated so thoroughly. Lee Jordan commented that Draco probably had a house-elf take his math classes before he came to Hogwarts as a possible explanation to his starting the duel early. Others commented on the puddle of urine Draco left on the floor while many complimented how Harry had commented on Malfoy's pure blood.

In the midst of all the celebration, Harry noticed that Hermione was silently sitting alone in a corner. He made his way to her as quickly as he could, which wasn't very fast in the midst of all the congratulating going on. Harry thought his back would break if one more person patted it by the time he reached his best friend.

"You're awfully quiet," he commented, sitting directly across from her.

She looked up from the book she was reading. "Oh, I didn't see you sit down." She then put on a fake smile. "Congratulations. You dueled very well."

"Thanks," he said, "Now, do you want to tell me what's bothering you?"

"Nothing."

Ignoring that lie, Harry asked, "It's not the fact that I dueled Malfoy, is it?"

"No," she answered. "I understand why you had to do it."

"Good," he replied. "So what's wrong?"

After marking her place in her book, she looked in his eyes. She took a deep breath before saying, "I heard what you told Professor McGonagall about how many people died over prejudice against muggle-borns. I'd even read about it before coming here, but the books I have said that the prejudice is gone. You even said that it's the minority that believes it." She looked ready to cry.

He sighed. "I also said that minority has influence. But that's why people who believe that nonsense have to be proven wrong. That's what the duel was all about. Draco thinks that he's more powerful than everyone of `lesser blood' than him, and he's completely wrong." Harry grinned at her. "My mother was a muggle-born, so he thought he'd beat me."

"You proved him wrong about that," she agreed, "but I'll bet he still believes that."

"Yes he does believe that stupidity," he said with a sigh. "But that duel will change a lot of other people's minds."

"I hope so," she said, "But I just can't understand how people really believe that so strongly."

"I understand," he said. "But you can't let it get you down. Opinions are slowly changing, and we've got to help them change. "I would suggest that you stay on your guard around Malfoy and his friends. You never know if they'll try something."

She sighed. "I guess so. Do you think the Malfoy family will cause problems about this?"

He shook his head. "I don't think so. Draco challenged me to the wizard's duel and cheated at the beginning. Then I beat him fair and square. There's nothing his father can do about it, and he knows it." He paused for a moment and smiled dreamily. "Draco might be in trouble with his family for it, though. Maybe he'll be taken out of Hogwarts."

"In your dreams, Harry."

"Yes," he replied with a smirk. "In my dreams."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Lucius Malfoy did not show up at the school in the aftermath of the duel, but Draco did seem depressed. Harry also noticed a lot of people picking on the arrogant pureblood and wondered if there would be repercussions for his duel. His hope was that if he consistently reinforced the idea that Malfoy is no better than anyone else, he'd eventually believe it, or at least stop acting like he thinks he's better than everybody. Before they'd gone back in time, he and Hermione had discussed the children of Death Eaters.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

"I don't think we should attack them," said Hermione. "Because they might not end up the way they are now. We'll be taking away the influence of their criminal parents while they're still young, so they may turn out differently."

"I suppose," said Harry.

"And besides, they haven't committed any crimes yet. People like Lucius Malfoy have already committed countless atrocities and bribed their way out of prison, but at age eleven, kids like Draco haven't. They just have very bad manners."

"And should be slapped around, not executed," he finished.

"Exactly."

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

It was only the memory of that conversation that kept Harry from seriously hurting Draco during the duel. In fact, he'd wanted to throw Neville's killer off the Hogwarts Express before they even arrived at school, but had decided that it was better to discredit his father's teaching than to just kill the git. And if discrediting that philosophy required humiliating Draco to prove he's not superior to anyone, Harry would gladly do it.

Harry was pleased with the result of Malfoy no longer arrogantly strutting around the school as if he owned it. He was also happy to note that nobody seemed afraid of Draco anymore and the Slytherins seemed subdued. Harry's only fear was that Malfoy would try to get revenge in a sneaky way, shooting him in the back, as was Draco's preferred method, so he was quite careful. He had no fear of a direct, fair confrontation, but knew that no Malfoy ever fought fairly.

Snape was worse than ever in his classes, so Harry had plenty of memories for his collection. Copies were still being sent to McGonagall and Dumbledore, for all the good they would do, and one set kept being added to the package for the Daily Prophet.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

It was after dinner on September 18th, less than six hours before the older Hermione was supposed to show up, and Harry was walking down the hall with the younger version of her. His anticipation had him in a very good mood.

"So," she said, "when are we going to send in those memories of Snape?"

"I figured we'll do that at the end of the month," he replied with a smile.

"Alright," she agreed. "And don't forget to loan me that book about You-Know-Who you mentioned on the Hogwarts Express. You promised to get it to me by the end of the month."

Harry grinned at her. He'd actually forgotten his promise to the younger girl. "Don't worry. Soon, you'll know everything I do about Voldemort."

"Good," she smiled back.

At that moment, they turned a corner and saw something on the floor in front of them. Harry immediately recognized it as photograph that he'd seen in McGonagall's office in another time. It appeared to be a family photo. Minerva was about thirty years old and was standing next to a tall, dark-haired man about the same age, and sitting in a carriage in front of them was a baby. Every few seconds the man would squeeze Professor McGonagall's shoulder while she looked down at the infant with an expression of joy and love that Harry had never seen on his head of house in real life. He'd never had the opportunity to ask her about it before.

"What's that?" asked Hermione, indicating the photograph.

"It looks like a young Professor McGonagall." He noticed a huge crack across the frame and pulled out his wand. "Repairo."

BOOM! Instead of repairing, the photograph exploded with a loud noise. It wasn't a powerful explosion, but it was strong enough to destroy the picture. Harry and Hermione were both too stunned to move for the couple seconds it took for a few people to arrive, the first of which was the Head of Gryffindor.

"Mr. Potter," she asked, "What happened? What are you aiming your wand at? Don't you remember that no magic is to be performed in the hallways?"

As Harry was putting his wand away, he noticed Malfoy at the front of the crowd smirking at him and realized that Draco was behind it. He turned back toward the Transfiguration professor. "It's a picture of…" He paused when he heard her gasp as she looked at the broken face of the baby in a fragment of the photo that survived. It was silently crying.

"What were you doing with that photograph, Mr. Potter?" she asked harshly. Her lips were thinner than he'd ever seen them, and her face was pink. She was clearly madder than she'd been when he and Ron drove a flying car to Hogwarts in another life.

"Hermione and I found it on the floor there…"

"How did it leave my office?" she asked.

"We don't know," answered Hermione. "We just found it on the floor."

"And you decided to blow it up?" she questioned.

"No!" said Hermione. "The frame was cracked, so Harry performed a Repairo spell on it and…it blew up."

McGonagall turned to Harry. "Am I to believe that you, a top student here, suddenly have your spells going this badly?"

The Boy-Who-Lived couldn't help but notice the look of satisfaction on Draco's face behind Minerva. "Professor, I think that Malfoy had something to do with this. That he…"

"I wasn't even on this floor when I heard the explosion!" he yelled.

McGonagall asked, "Did you see Mr. Malfoy do something with that photo?"

"Well, no, but…"

"But what, Mr. Potter?"

"Nothing, Professor," he answered, knowing that he had no proof.

"Very well, Mr. Potter. I am taking thirty points from Gryffindor, and you will be serving two detentions. I'll let you know when at a later time. For now, clean up this mess the muggle way and then go straight to Gryffindor Tower." She turned to the caretaker, who'd shown up with his beloved cat. "Mr. Filch, please loan Mr. Potter your cleaning equipment and watch him clean this mess up."

"Yes, Professor," he answered.

As the crowd began to disperse, Harry vowed vengeance on Draco, but for now, he was still looking forward to tomorrow's reunion with the love of his life.

-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-HP-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

-->