Unofficial Portkey Archive

On My Own by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

On My Own

papermask

Sorry I've been gone for so long. I've kind of drifted over to FictionPress.com and have been working on some original pieces there. If you'd like to read them, You can find me at http://www.fictionpress.com/~papermask . Anyway, here's the conclusion to On My Own. I hope you've enjoyed this story! :)

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from the Harry Potter world.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a lazy Saturday afternoon in a lovely England home occupied only by two people, both of whom were snuggled together on the couch. Although this seems to be a normal event, it was actually rather amazing. Mostly because the events that brought these two people together were staggering. Yes, it was quite an ordeal for Harry Potter and Hermione Granger-Potter to be married, but it happened, and they never looked back. Not so long ago, these two wonderful people were tied in quite compromising situations. One was stuck in a love-less marriage, the other left without a marriage, both with broken hearts and longing for the ones they truly loved. But now, everything was the was it should be.

That's not to say that bringing these two together was easy; in fact, it was most difficult. Harry Potter was already married, and with three children. Ginny Potter (well, now Ginny Weasley) believed that she had the happy ending that she had so desperately wanted for all her life. Unfortunately for her, it was not meant to be. Whatever had brought the two together, whether is had been an illusion of sunlit days or some strange force beyond their control, simply was not what was intended. Needless to say, when Harry wanted to end their marriage, Ginny was less than pleased. In fact, she was furious, and brought the infamous Weasley temper with her fury. Plates and forks were tossed through the air, hexes were cast (although none too complex, for Ginny never did master hexing), and threats to keep the children away from Harry were said. And, for the first time ever, Molly Weasley reacted very coldly towards Harry. Overall, the atmosphere was not pleasant.

However, it was probably this that brought Harry and Hermione together. Hermione could only feel worse for Harry once she found out what Ginny was pulling. She found herself comforting Harry and spending more time with him, just like they used to. It was good for both their hearts. Ron was distant at first, but once he found out the truth behind the divorce, he warmed back up to Harry, called him his "mate" again, and helped him get along. But, no one helped Harry more than Hermione, just like any other time he needed someone to be there for him.

It was during this time that Hermione accidently let it slip that she fell in love with Harry a long time ago. At first, she was very embarrassed, and almost teared up. For about ten minutes she refused to say anything else. In fact, it took a long convincing from Harry to keep her from leaving completely. Finally, Harry calmed Hermione down, brushed her hair away from her face, and asked her what she meant. Hermione couldn't meet his eyes as she whispered that she had loved him for a very, very long time. There was a pause, and then, to Hermione's surprise Harry laughed. He laughed so very loudly and for a very long time. He laughed so hard that small tears formed at his eyes. Hermione raised her eyebrow and opened her mouth slightly. He hadn't laughed this hard in years. Suddenly, Harry turned to Hermione, gently pulled her to him, and kissed her. Hermione widened her eyes, and then closed them in passion. It was then that Harry pulled away and confessed how he had loved her for so long. Hermione smiled beautifully, and kissed Harry once more.

That was almost four years ago. Next week would be their anniversary. They had chosen a spring wedding with flowers all around. By that time, Ginny and Mrs. Weasley had calmed down, though their relationships with Hermione and Harry were strained. The children, although surprised at their mother's reaction, had been phased by the change, but had soon gotten used to the idea. Ron had happily agreed to be Harry's best man, while Luna was overjoyed to be Hermione's maid of honor. Overall, the wedding was beautiful, and it wouldn't be forgotten by anyone who attended.

Harry looked over at Hermione, who was staring back at him lovingly. They both sat on the couch, with light shining in from the windows cascading over them.

"I love you, Hermione," Harry said. She smiled.

"I love you too, Harry," Hermione replied.

Yes, it was true. They were no longer on their own.