Unofficial Portkey Archive

In Fair Hogwarts by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

In Fair Hogwarts

the_real_mrs_potter

Chapter One -

It is common knowledge between you and me that the houses of Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin have been feuding since the creation of Hogwarts over a thousand years ago. Since the beginning of the school, they were known to have disagreements and duels resulting from their different perspectives on Muggle discrimination and admission requirements for their school.

This feud was passed on generation after generation, effecting the students and staff whom occupied Hogwarts whether they chose it or not. Prejudice was not uncommon no matter how different the circumstances. As soon as a person caught wind of the feud they were forced to take a side. Unfortunately for the members of Slytherin house, most chose Gryffindor's.

On and on this feud went, through the centuries and millenniums alike. That is, until the year of 1997, when two star-crossed teenagers crossed paths and intertwined their fates. This is where our story begins.

This is the story of how Hermione Jane Granger and Harry James Potter fell in love.

~*~

`Two house holds, both alike in dignity,

In fair Verona where we lay our scene,

From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,

Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean

From forth the fatal loins of these two foes

A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life;'

"What a bunch of rubbish." Ginny mumbled as she set the playbook down, "Why does Burbage make us read this trash. It already gave away the whole bleeding plotline! They meet . . . they fall in love . . . they die. End of story, begin 6 foot long essay."

Hermione looked up from her parchment and smiled, "That's the whole point."

"Do explain oh Goddess of Wit and Knowledge." Ginny sarcastically remarked.

Hermione rolled her eyes and set down her quill, "That's what Shakespeare wants to portray . . . the art of foreshadowing. By telling the reader or observer what's going to happen in such an elegant and precise way, he draws the reader in with questions like `Who exactly are these people and why did they have to kill themselves to be together?' so they keep on paying attention to the story and get their answers."

Ginny furrowed her brow, "What sane person could figure that out?"

"Any person with half of a brain cell." Hermione replied. She got back to her essay and just as her quill was about to touch the parchment, Ginny spoke.

"I still think its rubbish."

Hermione looked up again, "Well I think it's romantic, overcoming all of those obstacles all for the sake of love." She sighed.

"Don't go all mushy-gushy on me Herms."

Hermione pulled out of her revere with a look of annoyance on her face, "How many times have I told you not to call me that?"

"Enough for me to realize how much it annoys you and brings a smile to my face," Ginny said, "Do you really want this to be ruined?" She made a motion with her hand that accentuated her face.

"If it would make you stop calling me Herms, then yes."

"Ouch. Hurtful coming from a-"

"Guys!" Lavender panted from the doorway, "There's another . . . fight . . . in the Great Hall."

Hermione groaned and got up from her position on the common room sofa. It was her duty as Head Girl to try to prevent these things from happening. But the fights had been getting more and more unpredictable so no one ever knew when another one was going to break out. The last one had ended with over fifty people getting admitted to St. Mungos . . . most were not even included in the original brawl.

She and Ginny followed Lavender out of the common room at a jog. When they reached the Hall, the fight had already spread to where surrounding people were getting cursed. Hermione ducked as a curse went flying past her head and hit a nearby tapestry. Pulling out her wand, Hermione set out to the front of the room.

Meanwhile, the fight was at its peak. It was not clear as to who started the fight, and frankly, it didn't matter. All that was clear was that this fight was working its way to being the worst yet this year. At this rate, most likely double the rate of incoming patents to St. Mungos would be admitted as last time.

"THAT IS ENOUGH!" Dumbledore's voice boomed from the grand entrance. His voice sounded to be magically enhanced, as it caused most of the fighters to cease their fighting and look his way. "DROP YOU WANDS!"

This caused every head in the room to look his way and obey the orders. Hermione was already standing her post at the front of the room. Dumbledore began to make his way to where Hermione was at the front of the Hall and stopped right beside her. "Now . . ." -his voice was noticeably lower in volume- "this is the third time that this epic `feud', as we have come to know it, has caused a brawl. These brawls have been interrupting out curriculum and the attitudes of you students. If I catch notice of one more of these events . . . all students participating shall be expelled." -There was a collective amount of gasps throughout the room- "Now I think it is fitting that we all get back to our dormitories and finish packing for our Christmas Holiday."

"Ms. Granger." He added in a whispered undertone, "Would you mind patrolling the corridors after everyone is in their dormitories? Just a precaution."

Hermione nodded, "No problem, sir. I'll get right on it."

Dumbledore gave her a curt smile and left the Hall with a swish in his robes. The teachers began to escort the students to their appropriate places, their voices each amplified with their own charms. Hermione found Lavender and Ginny in the crowd and they followed the current of students that were leading to their destination of the Gryffindor Common Room.

~*~

He flipped to the next page in the book. It was the only pastime he had come to know these past few days. Usually at this time of the day he would be on his broom, gliding through the clouds and being completely and utterly relaxed. But the white blanket of snow that covered the once green grass had prevented him from even considering the idea . . . unless he was to take the high risk of getting frostbite. But unfortunately for him, he'd like to keep all of his body parts intact without decapitation being an option. Even if he had the choice to be out there he wouldn't take it . . . not now.

It wasn't because of the snow . . . he loved the snow. So still, yet still giving off tiny twinkles when sunshine hit them. It wasn't because he had no one to go with . . . he rather liked the feeling of being alone and undisturbed. He had become accustomed to it at the Dursley's and it was the one thing he actually was thankful for from them. It certainly wasn't because he was lazy . . . no. The only reason he refused to leave his refuge was because of the thought plaguing his mind.

True, he had been known to have the most capability and composure when it came to the opposite gender . . . he was a common role-model for those incapable to utter a word to a girl within fifteen feet of them without saying a coherent sentence. And that was leaving him pondering in his seat now. How could he have failed? It was expected of him. He was Harry-bleeding-Potter for Merlin's sake! All-Star Quidditch Player; Savior of the Wizarding World; Lady's Man . . . well not anymore.

He rested his head upon the leather book and closed his eyes . . . hoping a nice daydream would clear his mind.

"Rise and shine, Sleeping Beauty!" came a voice from behind him.

He groaned, every time he found time to relax . . . even for a second . . . he would always be found. He couldn't catch a break! And the person who always found him . . . none other than his best friend, Draco Malfoy, who knew him better than he knew himself half of the time. Which got pretty annoying, if you ask him.

"Come on, come on . . . we need to get a move on!" Draco's voice pried. He started to shake Harry's chair back and forth. This didn't please Harry, as it made him lift his head up and glare at him.

"Why the rush?" Harry asked, straightening his chair and placing it at its correct angle.

"We have a party to prepare for." Draco explained, dropping into the wooden chair beside him.

Harry furrowed his brow, "I'm not really in the mood for a party right now." Harry got back to his book and continued to read the fine print. Draco snorted taking his hand and closing the book shut. "Hey!" Harry hissed, "I was reading that."

"Sure you were . . . Harry Potter, reading for fun?" He teased. Harry did not find this funny and glared at him again. "Oh come on, you're not still worked up about that Chang bird are you?"

Harry's expression softened, "Not exactly."

"Then do explain . . . I've got nothing but time." Draco encouraged. He leaned back n his chair and placed his arms to rest behind his head. "Go on."

Harry took a breath, "It's not Cho herself . . . more the fact that this is the first time I've ever been . . . rejected. It's a new feeling, ya know? And . . . I really liked her this time. I mean, really, really liked her."

Draco chuckled, "Is that all? All of this time in the library, reading books because you got turned down by the one girl who has a chastity belt around her waist twenty-four-seven?"

He nodded, "I guess so . . ."

"That's a silly thing to be upset about, mate. She's one hard bird to catch. I'll bet you not even Myron Wagtail could make her wet her panties."

Harry snorted, "Oh believe me, I know."

"Well if you already knew all that then what did I just spend a minute telling you? Let's go and get ready!"

Harry smiled, "And what is so important about this party that we have to get ready this instant?"

"It's only the easiest party to crash, ever!" He smirked, "The Gryffindor's are holding a Holiday Masquerade in the Room of Requirement tonight at seven sharp. Everyone will be in masks and elaborate costumes; making us cunning Slytherin's job a lot easier to manage."

"And what exactly is that job?" Harry asked, leaning on his elbow in mock-fascination.

Draco got up out of his seat and stood up in right in front of Harry, clutching his fist to his chest dramatically. "To make it well-known that we Slytherin's are the best of the best and can do anything we set our minds to, of course! I was planning on spiking their punch with some good `ol fashioned firewhisky and causing everyone to be out of their wits end drunk!"

Draco heard a snort behind him and turned around to find Harry looking at him with a very amused smile plastered on his face. "What's so funny?" He asked.

"That is the lamest plan I have ever heard!" He said, shaking his head slightly.

Draco clutched his heart in feign-insult, "I happen to have worked on that plan for a good 5 seconds. You'll be happy to know that you have just crushed my lifelong dreams of being a mischief-maker for all eternity!" He turned around and stormed out of the corner they were occupying.

Harry rolled his eyes. He knew the drill. He started to slowly clap. Not even a second later, Draco was back to his spot next to Harry with a smirk on his face. "That was absolutely brilliant . . . five stars!"

Draco took a bow, "I do try."

He made his way back over to the table and placed his hands on the table in front of Harry, leaning forward slightly. "Now about that party . . ."

"If it'll stop your drama queen act, then yes I'll go."

Draco stood up and put his fist in the air in accomplishment, "I knew you'd come through, mate."

Harry gathered up his remaining books and placed them in his book bag. He followed Draco out of their corner and towards the exit of the library. They were a good few meters away from the door when Draco spoke, "And that's drama king to you."

Harry chuckled and looked towards him. Turning around to make one of his famous witty-comebacks he bumped into somebody's shoulder in his ignorance. The impact was so strong (or he was weaker than he originally thought) that he and the person he collided with fell to the ground with a loud thump.

"I'm so sorry." He heard the stranger say in a very feminine voice. It was a girl. Great, he thought, just perfect.

"It's alright." He said, "It was my fault anyways, I wasn't paying attention."

They both made a scramble to collect their things. Both of their combined parchments and textbooks made one hefty pile to pick up. It was a struggle to decipher whose things where who's.

There was one last book on the floor and Harry found himself placing a hand on top of it, unsure whether or not it was his. He soon saw the stranger's small hand on the book as well. This action caused him to look upwards, colliding his head with hers. The girl must have had the same idea, because she had also lifted her head to take a look at him.

"Owch." He heard her mutter.

They both stood up cautiously, hands still attached to the book gently. He lifted his head, this time with more swiftness as to avoid another accident, and he caught site to a pair of the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. She was also staring into his eyes, from what he could tell. She glanced down, a slight blush to her cheeks.

It looked as though she was about to say something to him, but a voice from behind them interrupted her before she could utter a word. "Come on, Harry. We've got to go."

Harry nodded his head stiffly and let Draco drag him away from the girl, book in hand. He didn't want to leave . . . he wanted to stay . . . with that girl. Idiot! His mind screamed; this is what happened the last time! Do you want to be caught reading soppy love novels again or not?! He answered himself, no. But he would not let his mind wander far from the thoughts about this mystery girl.

He took a chance and glanced backwards, hoping for a better look at her. No luck. It seemed as if she had walked off further into the library and away from his view. Damnit.

"What were you thinking?" He heard Draco hiss from beside him.

Harry shook his head and looked his way, "What do you mean?"

"Pulling a stunt like that . . . I thought I was about to puke."

Harry's expression turned curious, "All I did was bump into a girl in the library . . . what's so nauseating about that?"

"The fact that the girl you bumped into was Hermione Granger, that's what!" Draco explained, "Out of all the girl's you could have bumped into . . . you had to bump into that filthy mudblood Gryffindor."

Harry shook his head, "I'm sorry that the fates weren't in your favor, oh Prince of I-Have-To-Have-It-My-Way. I honestly don't know what's with people and this `feud'. It's completely and utterly neurotic. Stereotyping people because of their houses . . ."

Draco suddenly stopped and turned to face Harry with an affronted look on his features. Harry countered his look, daring him to press further. He ignored the look and spoke, "It has been going on since the creation of Hogwarts a thousand years ago. Only people with a lot of balls have the courage to question it."

"Then call me a hundred-balled-troll, because I think it's stupid and a waste of time. I bumped into a Gryffindor . . . so what? Is there something wrong with that? Other than the prejudice thoughts that I know you want to vent to me, I find nothing wrong with it . . . do you?"

Draco's mouth opened and shut a couple of times before he finally gave up and was speechless.

"Let's just forget it and get ready for this party, before I change my mind."

Harry set off down the hall, his steps noticeably longer and heavier. Draco had no choice but to follow quickly behind. The rest of the trip was noticeably lacking conversation up to their arrival of their common room. When they got there they set off to their dormitories and began to get ready for the Winter Masquerade.

This is going to be an interesting night . . . Harry thought. He glanced towards Draco, who was trying to sneak dirty looks at him. He turned back around and sighed, very interesting indeed.

~*~

-->