Unofficial Portkey Archive

In Fair Hogwarts by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

In Fair Hogwarts

the_real_mrs_potter

Chapter 4

Christmas holiday passed in a blur for Hermione. The days went flying past her when she was at the Burrow. This was odd, since she always found the time slower to pass throughout her stays in the past. Not that she was complaining, mind you. Ron's attempts were becoming more and more harder to avoid. But the worst time was after they opened their presents on Christmas day.

Ron had pulled her aside and handed her a present wrapped in gold paper and a silver bow. He told her that it was for later. And with a wink, he was gone. She let out a frustrated breath and asked herself why he couldn't have just given it to her earlier when she was opening her other presents wrapped like this. It didn't look to horrible . . . it looked safe. She carried the present to her room and placed it upon her bed.

When Ginny came in the room and found Hermione staring at the gift, Hermione told her it was from Ron. Ginny replied with a `be careful', which made her laugh. When Ginny left the room, Hermione got up her courage and unwrapped the gift. Underneath was a hot pink, striped box, with silver letters spelling `Witches Secret'. Hermione groaned. Somehow, she knew what was going to be facing her when she opened the box.

Whatever she had been expecting, it was ten times worse! Inside, there lay a black lacy bra and matching thong, and when she held it up to the light, she saw that it was completely transparent. Hermione heard a knock at the door and quickly put the set back and closed the box sharply.

She told the knocker to come in and was faced to the grinning figure of Ron. The nerve of him! "So do you like the present?" he had asked with a smirk. Hermione feigned a smile and walked up to him. Ron took her actions exactly the way she wanted him to take them, as he started to lean forward. But instead of a kiss, Hermione planted a smack on his right cheek that caused him to fall backwards into the wall. The impact of the wall was so great that a framed picture fell and broke atop his head.

Hermione suppressed a giggle and pushed him out of the doorway where he was supporting himself. She heard a thump on the other side of the door and she let out a laugh.

Christmas day still made her laugh, so when she burst out in her carriage on the train home, she earned more than a few curious glances. "Sorry." She apologized. They just went back to their reading and conversations. All except for Ron, who glared at her until he was forced back into his conversation with Seamus.

Ginny nudged her shoulder, "You okay, Herms?"

Hermione nodded meekly. "Yeah, just tired is all."

Ginny smiled in understanding and turned back to her conversation with Lavender. Hermione sighed and looked down to the book in her lap. `Romeo and Juliet'. Ginny had lent it too her since she had never really read the book and only the play. Only in the exception that Hermione help her with her project. Of course, she agreed and had been glued to the book ever since.

She started to read and was taken to a world very familiar to her own. A world of prejudice and violence at every corner. She wondered to herself, was this what an outsider would think if they stepped into their world? She certainly hoped that Hogwarts wasn't as bad as this . . . or was it?

~*~

Harry's holiday wasn't as eventful as Hermione's was. Although staying in a mansion with practical family may seem fun, it wasn't when it has been happening ever since you were eleven. Harry did love the Malfoy's, but they were a bit dull at times. Their idea of family time on Christmas was their house elf bringing them each gifts from the other, opening them, and going their separate ways.

At least they are a family. Harry thought to himself as he took his seat by Draco on the train. There were a few times when Harry thought about Hermione. Their exchange on the train was hard to forget. He didn't care if she was a Gryffindor or not, he had felt something in that kiss and he was almost positive that she did too. But maybe it was best to forget. If they talked to each other there would be an outrage of epic proportions throughout the school.

But it was easier said than done. They had only talked for a few minutes and he wanted to know more about her. He favorite color, food, song, everything. Draco had noticed that his mind had been drifting lately and advised him to get his mind out the gutter. If only he knew whose gutter he was taking refuge in. But there was only one thing that scared him. What if he was the only one thinking about their kiss? That would make him creepy even to himself. But he refused to let the thought stay long.

Draco nudged him a bit in the stomach, catching his attention. Harry turned his head and met his eyes. They were narrowed and asking him if he was alright. He nodded. Draco left him alone for the rest of the ride.

When they arrived back at Hogwarts, Harry let out a sigh of relief. He was home. The feast that night was even more satisfying and he went to bed with a full stomach for the first time in weeks. The Malfoy's elf, no offense to him, wasn't the best cook in the world. Half of the time Harry found himself over the toilet as the result of food poisoning. But this wasn't one of those times. He pulled the covers over his shoulders and drifted to sleep.

~*~

Hermione woke up with a start, today was the first day of lessons. And her first class of the day was in less than an hour! She jumped out of bed and quickly gathered her clothes from her dresser. She carried them with her o the shower, where she quickly washed her hair and got dressed. Grabbing her book bag, she rushed out of the common room and ran throughout the halls until she reached the Great Hall. When she began to walk down the aisle, she was clutching her side and breathing heavily, not going unnoticed by the other students.

She sat down next to Ginny, who smirked at her. "I told you sleeping in would be your downfall one day."

Hermione just glared at her and began to pile things on her plate. Looking at her watch, she saw she only had fifteen minutes to get to Charms. So she grabbed a blueberry muffin and ate a few bites of scrambled eggs. With the muffin in hand, she muttered goodbye as she rushed to class, hearing Ginny still laughing at her.

She sat down in her seat just as the bell rang and sighed in relief. Unfortunately for her, she wasn't watching where she sat, because there on her other side with a huge grin plastered on his face, was Ron. Hermione cursed under her breath.

"Aw, don't play hard to get, baby." He made a move to grab her had, but she pulled back and held it up to his face.

"Unless you want a repeat of what happened on Christmas, you will never call me baby again."

"Oh come on . . ."

Hermione narrowed her eyes at him, challenging him to finish that sentence. He didn't. He just got out his supplies and left her alone. Hermione smiled to herself; she was getting good at this.

The rest of the lesson was uneventful, except for the fact that she felt Ron's eyes on her throughout the entire lesson. When the bell rang she couldn't have been happier, even though she usually enjoyed Charms. Hopefully next time she would pick a seat next to someone who would leave her alone. Or better yet, sit by herself.

She followed the crowd until she got to the Ancient Runes classroom. Thankfully, Ron wasn't in this class with her. Her day passed like this until she got to History of Magic. It was the only class today that she had with the Slytherins. This meant she would see Harry for the first time since the train ride.

Her stomach had butterflies in it when she walked in the classroom, and they doubled when she saw that mop of familiar ebony hair. She swallowed hard and continued to walk towards her seat by Lavender Brown.

"Hermione, are you okay, you seem a bit . . . distracted." Lavender said as she opened her book for class.

Hermione put on a smile, "I'm fine, thanks."

Lavender furrowed her brow, "Are you sure?"

"Mhmm."

"It's a boy, isn't it?"

"What?!" Hermione asked, shocked by Lavenders question.

"It is!" she said, squealing, "Who is it, Terry?"

"It's not a boy, Lav." Hermione lied.

"Liar. You have that dreamy look in your eyes and you've been squirming in your seat. Which can only mean that he's in this class!" Lavender began to look around the room for possible candidates when Hermione stopped her.

"It's not a guy!" she practically screamed. A few people turned around to see what all of the racket was about and Hermione shooed them off.

Professor Binns floated into the classroom and everyone became silent. "I'm going to find out." Lavender whispered in her ear. Hermione just rolled her eyes and focused her attention to the front of the classroom.

"Today," Binn's dull voice spoke, "We will begin a group project having to do with the history of whatever you and your partner chooses, as long as it has to do with a Wizarding topic."

The class, not having dosed off yet, had their attention caught and began to talk excitedly. This was the first time that Binns had actually assigned a partner project that sounded semi-easy and not dull as usual. The talking rose to a blur of loud voices discussing who they wanted their partners to be, and what topic they were going to choose.

Professor Binns chose this moment to begin speaking again. Only a few students noticed his efforts to catch their attention and helped to quiet down the classroom. When it was silent, Professor Binns continued to speak, "I will choose your partners, and you will choose a topic before the class is over."

Hermione heard everyone groan. Binns wasn't know to be a fair teacher, so she wasn't as surprised and let down as her classmates. As long as she wasn't paired up with Ron or someone who would make her do all the work, she'd be okay.

"I shall call off of the pairs and you shall sit next to them." Binns instructed, "Weasley and Brown, Malfoy and Zabini, Radcliffe and Watson, Finnigan and Thomas, Patil and Longbottom, Bulstrode and Parkinson, Crabbe and Nott, Greengrass and Goyle, Davis and Adkins, Baskin and Layman, Potter and Granger."

The entire classroom went silent as Binns kept on reading off names as if nothing was wrong. Hermione looked across the classroom and found Harry already looking at her. The students began to yell in protest, gathering Binn's attention.

"What seems to be the problem, here?" he asked the angry students.

"No Gryffindor should be paired with Slytherin scum!" someone yelled.

"Even if it is Granger!"

"Slytherin is too good for Gryffindor!"

"The feud!"

Comments like these were shouted towards Professor Binns as he looked down at his parchment. Hermione could see his eyes widen as he looked towards her and Harry. He flipped through the parchment, looking for other partner combinations, but it was impossible. Any way he re-arranged the list of students, there would always be a Gryffindor and Slytherin paired up.

"Calm down, calm down!" Binns shouted at the class. The class silenced at Binn's outburst. "You will either accept your placements as they are or risk failure of this class. Granger, Potter, see me after class. Due date is one month from today. But for now get with your partners and decide on your topic." When the class didn't respond, Binns shouted, "Now!"

The screeching of chairs and bustling of students to get with their partners was heard all around her. She joined the crowd and made her way to where Harry was sitting. She sat down and looked down at the table awkwardly.

"So . . ." she heard Harry say.

"So . . ." she repeated. They sat like that for a few minutes in awkward silence. You need a good grade! Her mind said. She perked up her courage and spoke, "Look . . . I don't want this to be awkward when I want a good grade on this assignment. So let's put everything that happened behind us and start anew, alright?" Hermione stuck out her hand for him to shake.

Harry furrowed his brow, "You get straight to the point, don't you?"

Hermione smiled and nodded. He took her hand and they shook on it. "Well that was easier than expected." She said.

"It's only as easy as you make it to be." Harry said.

"Very wise." Hermione commented, impressed.

"Thank you, I do try."

Hermione giggled and got out a piece of parchment and a quill. "So do you have any ideas on a topic?"

"Not really . . . I don't know much about the Wizarding world to tell you the truth." He admitted.

"Well then we should do something simple . . . like the Salem Witch Trials. They're easy enough and almost everyone knows about them."

"Good choice."

"Thank you, now we're going to have to be in the library a lot just so you know. I'm positive they have books on the trials." Hermione said

"I like the library, so no problems here."

Hermione smiled in appreciation, "Good. We can meet on certain days after class and for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday in the afternoon. If we do this, then we'll have the project done before the due date by a few weeks!"

Harry nodded throughout when she was explaining. "Sounds good to me, but when should we meet during the week? Like, how many days?"

"Erm . . . how about two or three, depending on our progress."

"Sure, sounds great. So how about we start tonight after dinner?" Harry suggested. Hermione nodded. "How about we spend the rest of the hour slacking off?"

"Nice try. I'm not called an over-achiever for nothing. You're in for a tough month, Potter."

"And yet I'm looking forward to every moment of it."

The rest of the class period passed quickly, much to Harry and Hermione's dismay. Hermione was having a great time with Harry; he was funny, nice, caring . . . and so out of her league. When the bell rang, Hermione picked up her bags and followed Harry to the front of the classroom where they were to meet Professor Binns.

"One moment, you two." He mumbled while he finished writing on a parchment atop his desk. When he was done, he adjusted his transparent glasses and looked down at them. Hermione gulped and looked over at Harry for support. He smiled at her, removing the weight off of her shoulders.

"Do you two have any problems with this pairing?"

"No, sir." They replied in unison.

"And you realize that it will be a difficult strain on yourselves and your houses to be seen together?"

"Yes, sir."

"Do you accept yourselves as partners and solemnly swear not to ask for new ones no matter what the circumstances?"

"Yes, sir."

"You may go."

And so Hermione and Harry walked out of the classroom with Professor Binn's instructions fresh in their minds into the crowded hallway. But when they took time to take in the scene before them, they didn't see students walking to dinner, but a whole other scene entirely. A scene that made Harry and Hermione grab hold of each other's hands and run.

~*~

-->