Unofficial Portkey Archive

In Fair Hogwarts by the_real_mrs_potter
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

In Fair Hogwarts

the_real_mrs_potter

Chapter 10

The red hair stood out from the dark shadows of the curtains. Hermione felt relived for a moment. It's only Ginny, she thought. She let the smile spread slightly on her lips and pulled the curtain back the whole way, her heart rate returning back to normal. She turned back towards Ginny and stopped. That was definitely not Ginny.

"What are you doing here?" she asked shakily as she backed away from her bed, "I thought you would be down with the others"

"My place is already secured for the final round, so I figured I would pay my favorite girl a visit. Imagine the shock I felt when I saw that your bed was not only empty, but the horror when I saw you being led back through the open window by none other than Potter." He replied with a slight sneer to his lips.

Hermione felt her breathing pick up its pace as he shifted on the bed. "You have no right to be up here, let alone lay in my bed! How did you get up here, anyway?"

"Potter isn't the only one with a broomstick and knowledge of where the girl's dormitory is located." He replied with pride, motioning over to a corner where Hermione saw a beaten-up broom resting.

"Yeah, if you could call that thing a broomstick; looks more like a twig with a fancy name etched into it if you ask me." Hermione said smartly, smirking down at him. She felt her heart well up with pride as she saw Ron's face redden, a new air of confidence taking over her once nervous demeanor.

"Not all of us are spoiled brats with an unlimited bank account and no sense of selflessness when purchasing items he knows will make people envy him even more than they already do. He's just an attention-thirsty wanker." Ron looked so sure of himself as he put his hands behind his head and smirked up at Hermione with a look as though he had won the dispute already.

Hermione, however, was beginning to turn red; giving the shade Ron wore not ten seconds ago a run for its money. "You have no right to say that! It just so happens that the broom was a gift from his godfather, you insensitive prat!" Her voice was rising with every word she spoke, her temper along with it.

Ron saw the nerve he had hit clearly and became instantly aggravated. If she was that upset at him from making a small comment about Potter's selfishness, how mad would she get if he kept pushing the barrier? Would she still put up a fight, proving her loyalty to him, or step down and admit defeat? Ron knew Hermione wasn't as strong as she put out that she was, so he decided to push it. Hard. "I have every right to say that! He makes his business everyone's business by being in the press almost every bloody day! In fact, I wouldn't doubt that you and he will be in the papers tomorrow for you little midnight flight! `Harry Potter and His New Conquest Take Moonlit Broom Ride, Seen Fucking Under Trees After Drinks'!"

"It's not as though he asked for this attention! He hates it more than you know! He just wants to be normal!" Hermione defended, walking up and poking him violently in the chest for emphasis. Her temper was now at full heat and she wasn't going down without a fight. There was only one thing he could say to have her back off, and she was confident that she would win this fight long before it was needed to be put in use.

"Normal? Ha! He could never be normal if he tried! He has the evidence etched on his forehead for Merlin's sake! Not even dying would sedate the fame of him! It's enough to make anyone sick!"

"Voldermort killed his parents, Ron! He didn't die because his mother would rather sacrifice herself than have her only son be murdered! He grew up in a pit of loneliness his entire childhood until he was thirteen and moved in with his godfather! Imagine not having your mother tuck you in at night, your father not telling you stories of him and his friend's escapades at school!" Hermione felt tears pouring down her cheeks as she retold Harry's story. She had only just found out all of these things, but the impact of it didn't hit her until she was shouting them out loud, defending Harry.

"Oh boo-fucking-hoo, he had no parents! I would love to have no parents. No one to scold you when you come home late from a party, to baby you when you want to be treated like a bloody adult for once in your life! He has the picture-perfect life in my eyes, and he makes a habit of rubbing it in everyone's face!"

"Oh and how does he do that? I don't see him parading around Hogwarts singing, `I have no parent's and I still have a better life than you! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, HA!"

"It's implied! He struts about the castle, gets away with everything; scratch-free… he acts like he fucking owns the school and people love him for it. They are throwing themselves at his feet, begging him to grace them with his presence. The birds jump him and plead for him to fuck them! And now, you're one of those birds, fucking the great Harry Potter! How did it feel? Was it better then when w-"

"Shut up, Weasley!" Hermione screamed, "What me and Harry do is none of your business, and you should know better than anyone that I don't just jump into the sack with just anyone, I'm not a whore!"

"Oh, I beg to differ." Ron said cockily.

"In case you haven't noticed, I-I-I'm not a whore!" Hermione couldn't think of anything to say to his cocky remark, cursing herself inwardly for her lack of any spontaneous smart comebacks on her tongue. She, instead, settled on her knowledge of definitions. "A whore is someone who is considered sexually promiscuous. And I can assure you that I am not, especially with you!"

Ron smirked at her and got up off of the bed, towering over the hot-headed Hermione. "You seemed pretty promiscuous th-"

"Don't you ever associate me with that again! I thought I made that clear that day! Do it, and I would make sure you wouldn't have children! Don't think I won't fall through on that threat!" Ron visually gulped and Hermione felt a weight being lifted off of her chest. Now that that was out of the way, he had nothing else to put her down with. "Now, if you don't mind, I would like to go say goodnight to Ginny."

As Hermione made her way to the exit, she felt Ron take a few steps towards her, but kept towards her path. "She still doesn't know does she?" he asked. Hermione stopped in her tracks and turned towards him. She shook her head with a confused look on her features, wondering what he was playing at. "Well… it would be a shame if I let slip of our little encounter to her young ears."

Hermione's breath was caught in her chest as she struggled to speak, "Y-you wouldn't…"

"Oh, wouldn't I?" He asked as he approached her. He began to circle her as she glared at the wall opposite her, trying her hardest to keep her composure.

"What do you want, Ron?" she asked.

"You know what I want." He answered simply as he began to play with the hem of her jumper. She shivered at the cold feeling his fingers brought to her skin. She flinched away from his touch and he laughed. "It's funny I didn't think of it until now…" Hermione bit back a response that was on the edge of her tongue, fearing she would only hurt the situation more so then she already had. "If you be mine… I won't bother telling Ginny or even-" he spat the next part, "Potter of what happened. Although, if you agree, which I'm sure you will… they will probably assume the worst anyways."

"You're sick!" Hermione spat as she looked into his cold, blue eyes. Eyes she used to think were quite endearing when they were younger. She was a warm-blooded female for Merlin's sake! Thirteen with hormones, need the situation be explained more? But now all those eyes made her feel was fear. Fear of what he was forcing her to do, fear of what would happen to her and those who cared for her if she didn't agree.

"Sickness is one step away from passion." Ron said softly as he began to fiddle with the curls of her hair between his fingers.

Hermione slapped his hand away quickly, "That's obsession, you twit! Which is what you are slowly becoming, obsessed with something that happened years ago. What makes you think I'll agree to your stupid proposition?"

He chuckled, "It was a pretty stupid thing to do… but that's not the only leverage I have on you, you know. It wouldn't take much effort to walk up to the Headmasters office and tell him of your midnight broom ride afterhours."

Hermione smirked slightly, "I thought you said that it would be in the papers tomorrow anyways."

"True… but think of the punishment you would get for either. I mean, model student, Hermione Granger out with Harry Potter, model idiot Slytherin on a romantic broom ride at any hour would surly cause uproar within the school. And remember what Dumbledore said if there was another brawl… you and Harry would surely be held responsible. Dumbledore isn't one to expel many students at once. Everyone knows he won't fall through all the way with his threat… but that doesn't mean he won't rid the school of the source." Hermione gulped in a large chunk of air as Ron leaned into her and whispered in her ear, "Is it worth throwing away yours and Harry's school career all for the sake of pride?"

Hermione knew the answer before he even finished the sentence… if he wouldn't have said Harry's name. She would have easily given up her own, but she couldn't say the same about Harry. She didn't want her mistakes to affect him in any way; she cared too much for him. She cared too much to let him go that easily. She cared too much to say yes.

Ron took her silence as an accomplishment on his part. He had broken down the one and only Hermione Granger. And all he had to do was dangle her (and Potter's…) educational well-being in front of her face. Rejection was no longer an option for her. She would have to agree. He smiled as he walked up behind her and placed his hands around her stomach, leaning his head on her right shoulder and placing his lips dangerously close to her ear. "You won't regret this, Herms"

Hermione clenched her jaw as she did her best not to push him away from her, "I wouldn't be so sure of that."

"Now, now" he scorned playfully, "you wouldn't want me to take that the wrong way. I might end up-"

"I get it, Ron." She said interrupted, fuming. She wanted more than anything to shrug him off as she usually did, but she couldn't do that anymore. Biting her lip to hold back the tears (of anger or sadness, she didn't know), she took a deep breath and tried her best to relax into Ron's tight, possessive embrace.

"Good." He said, grinning from behind her. He turned her around and planted a wet kiss on her pursed lips. He smiled to himself when he felt her kiss him back hesitantly. She'll warm up to me eventually… he thought with a sick inward chuckle. Ron took his leave from the deserted dormitory, grabbing his broom on the way out and closing the door with a small creak.

Hermione burst into tears; she couldn't hold them in anymore. How could a perfect evening like tonight be ruined that quickly? Of all the times Ron could have figured out that he could blackmail her he had to pick now! Now, when her relationship with Harry was finally returning to normal. Oh God, she thought, letting a loud sob emit from deep within her throat, Harry!

She ran to her bed and collapsed with her stomach down, clutching one of her pillows and hugging it tightly to her chest. Hermione buried her head deep within the fluffy solstice of the pillow and screamed. She screamed as loud as her lungs would let her through her sobs. Harry would eventually find out about her and Ron… and he knew how much she hated him. She would have to lie straight to his face in order to protect him. She knew it would eat away at her insides to do so, but it was absolutely necessary that she must! She wouldn't let Harry take the fall for anything. She… she… simply couldn't think anything more about it.

It was then that Hermione lifted her head from its place on (or rather, in) her pillow. She saw the concave imprint of her face and fluffed out the used pillow, placing it back by her headboard. She had to suck it up and deal with it. If she didn't, who knows what the consequences would be?

She got up from the bad and dragged herself into the bathroom. When she saw her reflection in the mirror, she had to do a double-take in order to recognize her own image. Her eyes were pink and puffy and her shined of unshed tears. The streaks down her cheeks were smeared all over her face, making her skin shiny and wet and her lips chapped from her open-mouthed sobs. She turned on the cold water tap and bent her face down to splash with water, rinsing away any evidence of what had just occurred.

"Hermione, are you in here?" she heard a feminine voice call from outside.

Hermione hurriedly grabbed a hand towel from its round holster on the wall and hurriedly wiped the water droplets from her face. "Yeah!" she called. She wiped the last water residue from her cheek as she heard footsteps come in the bathroom. Turning around, she came face-to-face with a very distraught-looking Ginny. "Ginny" she said with a confused expression, "what's up? I thought you'd be downstairs cheering on the geeky chess-players?"

"Well, I was… until I saw my brother sliding down the girl's staircase, broom in hand, saying her just got done with a heart-to-heart with his girlfriend." She had her arms wrapped around her chest, a nervous habit of hers. Hermione let out a breath and took a step towards the red head.

"Ginny, I- I can explain…" she started.

"Oh, please do." Ginny replied sarcastically.

Hermione's head arched back in surprise with her tone, "What's up with you?"

Ginny bowed her head down, looking at the marble tiled of the floor for a moment. She tilted her head back up, her long bangs obstructing her hazel eyes from view slightly, "You really want to know?" Hermione nodded her head reproachfully. Ginny sighed as she continued, "There I was, downstairs, surrounded by about ten blokes, cheering them up after their recent defeats, totally confidant with myself because I knew my best friend was out with Harry, straightening out their differences on a moonlit broom ride and most likely snogging at the moment-" Hermione opened her mouth to speak, but Ginny ignored her attempt and kept talking "but then who should slide in but my bum of a brother, claiming to have a chat with his girlfriend, who I knew to be you, seeing as Lavender and Pavarti were busy snogging some sixth years." Hermione was silent, looking at the floor fixedly. "Care to tell me what's going on?"

Hermione looked up into Ginny's fire-enhanced eyes and felt a sob etching its way in her chest. She wanted to tell Ginny- she really did, but Ginny didn't even know about… that time. Hermione and Ron were the only people who knew, and she wanted to keep it that way. But Ginny did know that her brother was an asshole… so it wouldn't be hard for her to believe… but she didn't know how she would react to it. But if she didn't tell someone soon, or at least say it aloud… she would crack. So it was decided. She would tell her… everything.

"You might want to sit down…" Hermione suggested.

"Yeah, `cause the girl's toilets are so sanitary, and all." Ginny replied dismissively, motioning to the row of cubicles behind Hermione. Hermione let a small smile crack on her lips and started to walk towards the door.

"I guess the dormitory would be best…"

"You think?"

Ginny and Hermione made their way to Hermione's bed, where they sat Indian-styled across from each other. Ginny remained silent as she looked pointedly at Hermione, silently edging her speak. Hermione fidgeted with the quilt atop her bedspread and began to talk. Ginny was listening to every word, placing a hand atop Hermione's when she began to cry. At the end of the explanation, the girls were wrapped in an embrace and Ginny was holding back a slew of curse words on the edge of her tongue. When they pulled back, Ginny rubbed Hermione's shoulders comfortingly.

"I knew my brother was an asshole but I never thought…"

"Yeah, I know." Hermione said, wiping the tears from beneath her eyelids with her thumb. "But you have to promise me that you won't let on that you know. If Ron found out I told anybody about this, he'll… Merlin, I don't know what he'll do… and I don't want to know. Please, Ginny, please don't tell him!"

"You think I'm an idiot?" Ginny said jokingly, making Hermione snort, "I may not like it, and I may want to pound his face in, but our friendship… your friendship with Harry means more to me than any of that… even if one of them is doomed for fucking in the end."

Hermione shoved Ginny playfully in the shoulder, sniffing and smiling at the same time. Her face fell after a few moments, comprehension dawning on her face, "I don't even think that even has a chance of happening now."

"Don't give up hope, Herms… things will even out soon, I promise."

Hermione nodded, "I hope you're right, Gin."

~*~

Hermione felt better the next morning, albeit tired. The whole house of Gryffindor was groggy that morning from the all-night chess tournament. Hermione found out that Ron had won it overall. It wasn't a big shock.

She successfully avoided Ron that morning at breakfast, getting there early before anyone else would even think of getting up. She quickly consumed a few slices of buttered toast with strawberry jelly, a glass of pumpkin juice, and took an apple crisp muffin with her to her dormitory to catch up on her reading, making sure to lock the window and draw the curtains.

She couldn't avoid him all day, unfortunately, and ended up walking into Potions with a dampened spirit, knowing that she would see him and most likely sit next to him. But that wasn't even the worst part… they had class with the Slytherins today. There was no avoiding the conflict that would ensue that hour.

Hermione took her seat towards the middle of the classroom, emptying her supplies and readying herself for class. She felt someone's eyes on her and saw Harry at the table next to her, smiling. Hermione forced a smile back and continued where she had left off. When she looked up after she had finished, she saw Harry walking towards her, but had someone beat him to her side.

Ron had come up from beside her, taking the seat next to her and placing his hand around her waist possessively. Hermione saw Harry's face fall immediately. He looked crestfallen, heartbroken even. Hermione flinched, as if that look pierced into her skin, burning the surface with a hot flame. She knew Ron was smirking from beside her, but she dared not look.

"And what are you doing over here, Potter?" Ron asked with a false air of superiority, "Not here to sweet-talk my girlfriend, are you?"

Harry looked over at Hermione, as if silently asking her to protest his allegations. She didn't meet his eyes, choosing instead to focus on the grimy tile of the classroom. She heard Harry take a small intake of breath as he spoke, "Of course not Weasley, that would be rude. I was just going to ask what time Hermione here wanted to meet to work on our project tonight… you know, for History of Magic."

"I am well aware of your partnership. I'm not a moron." Ron replied coolly.

"Could've fooled me" Harry muttered under his breath. Hermione caught his words and let a small chuckle emit from her chest.

Ron looked at Hermione pointedly and she stopped, biting her lip nervously. Harry looked at her with a peculiar look on his face, but tore his gaze away when Ron cleared his throat and spoke, "Well, go on, then, you're wasting our time and polluting us with your Slytherin scum."

"Very well, Ronny Dearest." Harry said with a blank expression. He then turned to Hermione and she looked over at him, "How does six sound?"

Hermione nodded curtly, "Fine."

"Alright, well I'll just take my leave, then." He said.

"Go on, then, shoo." Ron said with a smirk.

Harry gave the pair one last look before returning to his seat next to Malfoy and across from them. Ron immediately let go of Hermione's waist and she let out a relieved breath. She was afraid if he held her any tighter she would faint. It was as though their hips were super glued together. Hermione rubbed her side as she sat down on her stool and looked over at Ron. He acknowledged her with a smile and got out his things just as Snape entered the classroom.

"You didn't have to be so cruel to him." She whispered tensely.

Ron just shrugged and mumbled, "He deserved it."

Hermione didn't even bother arguing back, not wanting to get on his nerves their first class together. Hermione stared up at the front of the class as Snape began to give the students instructions for the Amortentia potion. Hermione was about to say that they had already made this potion when Snape said halfway through her hand-raise that it was "essential for their N.E.W.Ts and it would do well to practice it in class and that they should all be thanking him for being so courteous as to let them do so in his class". Hermione suppressed an eye roll as she went up with the rest of the students to get the ingredients for the love potion.

"Get me some, won't ya, babe?" Ron called from behind her, still in his chair doodling something on his paper. Hermione nodded and stocked up with double potion ingredients, returning to their table and spilling them onto the wooden surface. Ron moved his hands from his paper to avoid touching one of the raw ingredients and Hermione caught a glimpse of what he was doodling. She gagged when she saw the naked form of herself etched on the surface atop a large, familiar bed. She saw him put away the drawing as she took her seat, starting the potion with a shake to her chopping.

She felt someone's eyes on her the whole class period, and since Ron was too busy missing his chopped roots and making multiple cuts on his fingers, she had a pretty good idea about who is was. Hermione felt tears cloud her vision as she chopped the remainder of her ingredients. She forced them back and poured them into her bubbling cauldron. While she stirred the potion counter-clockwise and counted silently to herself the number of times she was doing so, she saw Harry's face, his crestfallen, shocked, heartbroken face. She kept telling herself that it was for the best.

Needless to say, she didn't have to pretend to avoid him anymore.

A/N: Well, here ya go… another epic chapter in my little fic. I hope that you are all pleased with the outcome as well as I am. Believe me; I had absolutely no intention of making Ron that crucial to the story as far as this chapter goes! But it just CAME to me and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to add a little more drama and angst into the plotline *guilty smile*. On the plus side, this will probably result in more chapters to the story in an odd sort of way. Me (and when I say `me' I mean, the characters) having to work out these kinks and all. I am so sorry for not adding notes to the end of the other chapters, or at least ones like this. I was in such a rush to post this story that I didn't have much time to do so. And on that note… thank you so much for this warm reception here at Portkey! The first few days the fic is up and I have more than 2,000 reads! Holy shiznit!! Now if I could have that many reviews, that'd be awesome… lol. Thanks to all of you who reviewed, it really means a lot! Please keep up the great feedback! I love you all and hope to find a way to fix my little conflicts in here soon

-Shar

-->