Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unspoken by Ella Marie
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unspoken

Ella Marie

Part Nine

I saw you again the day of my wedding; I standing at the far end of the aisle, watching the door at the other end, trembling with nerves. Perhaps I would pass out after all. Maybe then my very soon-to-be wife would end my life and, therefore, my misery.

Holding myself upright successfully, however, I watched as the bridal party entered at their musical cue and walked the length of the aisle that had been made in the Great Hall of Hogwarts. Luna came before you, looking dreamy and quite pretty in her sapphire gown. I smiled and was glad to see that Ginny had not vetoed her radish earrings.

She gave me a whimsical smile as she took her place across the aisle from me. The music kept playing, the doors opened again, and there you were.

On my best man's arm, you walked slowly, your face pink and smiling peacefully. You looked straight ahead, refusing to meet my eyes.

I had to fight to keep the nervous smile on my own face. Had to fight to try looking at the two of you with brotherly affection and nothing more. Could you imagine the struggle?

And as you took your place and he, his, the bridal march began. The doors were opened once more, and there she was, the woman I once looked at as the love of my life. I will not deny the fact that her beauty did take my breath away. Her arm wrapped around her father's, she walked toward me, beaming, in a slim, white gown which hugged her body in the best of ways. There wasn't a veil to obscure her face, red as her hair with nervous, blushing delight.

Her eyes saw me adoringly, full of the future. I shook. I smiled more broadly. I loved her, I did. Why else would I marry her and try to give her the future she envisioned?

I realized the weight of my betrayal as her father gave her away to me. While I did not, could not regret what we had done, I silently vowed never to hurt her again. I loved her. Maybe not the way I thought I had, but how was she to blame for that?

And as we said our vows, I heard a small cry. Funny how I looked to you first. Yes, you were crying, a tissue held to your sad, brown eyes. But the cry had come from my mother-in-law. You wouldn't make such a noise. Of course not, you were smiling, in fact. Smiling through the pain only I could see. Because only I could feel it, too.

You did not look at me. You, instead, focused on her, straightening the train of her dress and holding her bouquet of white lilies, as necessary. You applauded with everyone, laughing and smiling, as we were announced husband and wife with a kiss.

I took her hand into mine and walked away from you, down the aisle with her, fully intending to leave you, and everything we had left unspoken, behind.