Unofficial Portkey Archive

That Old House by vanillaparchment
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

That Old House

vanillaparchment

A/N: So. This is going to be an... interesting chapter. Maybe a bit strange. I hope you enjoy it anyway!

Chapter Thirty-Two

"Leab me alone!" Yasmine sniffed and used a tissue to rub at her already red nose, "I'b sick and I'b tired and I'b got a headache!"

"You're not the only one!" Jack said, coughing and making a face at her, "You're just the only one moaning about it!"

"Go away!" Yasmine burrowed further under the covers and sniffing again, "Leab me alone!"

"Leab me alone!" Jack mimicked hoarsely, before a round of dry coughs overtook him and he was prevented from continuing.

"Now, honestly, you two," Hermione said sharply, entering the room with two glasses full of steaming potions, "being sick doesn't mean you're allowed to be rude."

"Yeah, Yasmine," Jack said, wrinkling his nose at the black stuff in the glass, "Do I have to?"

"I'm assuming you'd prefer to get well," Hermione said, "and I know perfectly well that both of you are at fault, so don't start, Yasmine. I'd like you both to apologize, then you, Jack, will go to bed."

The two muttered half-hearted apologies and Jack shuffled off to bed, after draining the entire glass of Pepper-Up Potion under Hermione's watchful eye.

Hermione sighed and after tucking Jack back into bed, carried the glasses downstairs and placed them in the sink, where a sponge was cleaning dishes of its own accord. Then she hurried back to the living room, dropping into the couch in front of the fire.

"Now were we?" she said to the fireplace, where Ginny's head was bobbing up and down anxiously amid the flames, "I did tell you that I'm perfectly capable of planning this wedding, didn't I?"

"Not without me, you're not," Ginny said matter-of-factly, "look, I've only got a few minutes before the time's up--I've got a free period but it's almost over. Have you got a dress?"

Hermione sighed.

"Ginny, I have three sick children upstairs, four weekly lessons with Healer Pruitt, housework, and three other bored children--under, I might add, your brother George's influence-- to look after. Now, why don't you ask me that again?"

"Well, don't you dare pick one out without me," Ginny warned, "you only have one wedding day--- hopefully."

Hermione snorted.

"I see you have the highest opinion of my relationship with Harry," she commented dryly, "yes, I only have one, and thank Merlin for that."

"It has nothing to do with your relationship!" Ginny protested, and Hermione smirked again. "Come on, Hermione, you know what I meant."

Hermione sighed and threw up her hands.

"Ginny, there is absolutely no need for you to micromanage the wedding planning. I have my mother to do that. Furthermore, from what I hear, you've been having some relationship issues of your own, and in my opinion, you'd do best to dedicate your energy to resolving them."

"I'm not having relationship problems!"

Hermione sobered, and hesitated before she replied.

"I daresay Neville would disagree," she said, very gently, "I won't pry, Ginny, but I do think you should talk to him as soon as you can."

Ginny scowled rather half-heartedly, a scarlet flush spreading across her freckled face. "How much-- how much has he told you?"

"Nothing," Hermione said simply, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, "and that's the most telling thing of all."

"You've read it wrong," Ginny insisted, "There's nothing going on. Nothing. At all."

Hermione sighed and leaned back.

"Lie to me if you like, Ginny, but it's going to work against you eventually."

"Valentine's Day," Ginny said abruptly, "what are you doing for Valentine's Day?"

"Other than celebrating Jackie's birthday?" Hermione pulled her legs up onto the couch and shifted, stretching and yawning, "I'm not sure."

"It's next week!" Ginny said in a scolding tone that made Hermione stiffen, "You and Harry ought to--"

"Honestly, Ginevra," Hermione said in exasperation, "when will you stop bothering about Harry and I? When we're married? When I'm pregnant? When?"

"Are you?" Ginny demanded, her eyes suddenly lighting up. Hermione made an irritated noise at the back of her throat and threw up her hands.

"No, Ginny, I'm not. Was there anything at all in my tone that remotely implied that I'm--"

"You did eat a lot at dinner last Sunday," Ginny said, "usually you eat like a bird. What have you and Harry been up to, Hermione?"

"I give up." Hermione said for what felt like the hundredth time, "I'm wasting my breath and goodness knows I can't afford that. Go study. Stop bothering me."

"Let's see... your wedding is in May, which means that I can set aside a day in early August to go baby shopping--" Ginny mused, "What day would work best for you, do you think? Monday? Let's say Monday--"

"I reiterate-- go study. Stop bothering me."

"Stop bothering you or stop making you blush?" Ginny said, smirking, "Lovely Christmas present you gave Harry, by the way-- starting the hints a little early, though, aren't you?"

"I'm not blushing!" Hermione protested, her hands flying to her flushed cheeks nonetheless. Ginny snorted with laughter.

"So it was a hint!" she crowed, her head bobbing as she burst into laughter. "Godric, Hermione. I know you like to get work done early, but--"

"I didn't mean to-- it wasn't really a--" Hermione stammered, though a sheepish smile was slowly spreading across her face. "Oh, go away."

Ginny sobered slightly, though her smile stayed firmly in place.

"You know," she said in surprise, her eyes widening as though something had just dawned on her, "you really are perfect for him."

Hermione frowned and tilted her head, studying Ginny's face. There was an oddly puzzled look crossing Ginny's face, the kind of bewilderment that comes with a revelation that you'd already had, but never really reflected on before.

"I mean-- when does it really happen?" Ginny murmured, staring at Hermione with a perplexed look. Hermione was suddenly aware that, even as Ginny gazed at her with an uncharacteristically childlike curiousity, Ginny's words weren't meant for her. "When does anyone really look at each other and think, `They're the one. They're the only one. They're different. She's different. There's no one else.''" Ginny's eyes fell upon Hermione's ring. "I didn't think it could happen. Not on its own."

Hermione looked away from the fire, her eyes suddenly feeling moist in the silence that followed. She wet her lips and cleared her throat, looking back at Ginny and spoke with utmost sincerity.

"Much as I try to deny it," she said, "it didn't happen on its own. I had help."

She smiled.

"Thank you, Ginny." She leaned forward. "From both of us."

Ginny grinned back, her face flushing again. "As long as we're being honest, I didn't do much. You would have found your way there on your own. You two may be daft, but your hearts are too closely knit for you to ignore it forever."

Hermione laughed.

"We might have," she said, "we might have ignored it until it was too late."

"Until when? Until Harry went and married me?" Ginny snorted, "I think I'm smart enough to know when I'm in the wrong."

Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"Are you?"

Suddenly, Ginny's smile faded. She looked down.

"We're back there again, are we?"

"We are." Hermione said, "Harry and I certainly didn't end up where we are by perpetuating an argument."

"Thanks for the advice, Hermione," Ginny said, "Look, I'll try, okay? But we're not like you. We don't finish each other's sentences or have conversations just by looking at each other--"

"Let's start with having a conversation, period." Hermione said dryly, "To be completely, brutally honest, I'd rather not have a wedding where my maid of honor is glowering at the groomsman all the way down the aisle."

Ginny sighed, glancing behind her quickly.

"I have to go, Hermione, but-- fine. I'll write to him. Satisfied?"

"Completely," Hermione said, standing and stretching, "I'd best go check on Jackie."

"Bye, Hermione." Ginny smiled, the playful glint returning to her eye, "You and Harry behave yourselves, won't you? You've held out this long; four months shouldn't be too painful."

"You've no idea," Hermione muttered, sighing and fanning out her fingertips against her lips, "you have no idea."

"Do I detect a hint of regret in your voice?" Ginny teased, "Set the bar a bit too high, have we?"

"Doubt, not regret," Hermione corrected, "Didn't you say you had to go?"

"I can take a hint," Ginny said, "Talk to you later, Hermione-- I'm coming, I'm coming!"

Pop.

Hermione smiled slightly, shrugging her shoulders and shaking her head.

Four months left, she repeated to herself as she headed upstairs. Why does that sound so long?

~*~

"It's a heart!" Yasmine said in delight, "Look, Katy-- it's a chocolate cake heart!"

"And frosting," Adrian added with relish, pulling a spoon from the silver drawer and scooping a generous spoonful from the bowl, "Green frosting-- with raspberries. It looks more like a Christmas cake to me."

"Well, it's not. It's my birthday cake," Jackie said imperiously, crossing her arms and glaring at Adrian fiercely, "Stop eating the frosting!"

"Adrian, don't eat the frosting until we've frosted the cake," Hermione scolded, taking the bowl away and beginning to frost the cake, "will someone please take Gully out of the kitchen?"

"He's not that big," said Katy reasonably, taking a hold of Gulliver's collar with both hands and dragging him away from the counter. Gulliver's tail whipped happily through the air as his paws dragged across the kitchen tile. "I can pull him all by myself, see?"

"I'm licking the bowl!" Jack said loudly, making Adrian complain loudly.

"You licked it the last time and I called it anyway!" he said heatedly, "Everyone heard me say it first, didn't you?"

"That's enough," Hermione said firmly, before a full-blown argument could erupt, "Adrian was the first to ask, and I told him he could lick the frosting bowl. That's all there is to it, Jack. No arguing. We're all going to have cake tonight anyway."

"I'm licking the frosting bowl from the wedding cake," Jack said, "So there."

"You can't call it that early!" Yasmine protested, "That's four whole months away!"

"So?" Jack said, "I called it and you all heard it! I'll even ask! Can't I have it, Hermione?"

"Well..."

"Mama!" Adrian complained, "It's four months away! It's just not fair!"

"Adrian, I don't want to hear you whining," Hermione warned, and he fell silent. "Especially over something so silly. It's not as if we never have frosting. In fact, the amount of frosting we have in this house would make my parents throw a fit."

There was a brief silence before it was broken by the sound of Katy stifling a fit of giggles with her fingers. Soon, all were laughing uncontrollably at the thought of the stern Mr. Granger and his rather excitable wife throwing temper tantrums.

"Here, we can share it," Adrian said at last, handing Jack a spoon, "it's a lot of frosting anyway."

Jack looked taken aback, then accepted the spoon.

"Thanks," he said through a mouthful of frosting. Hermione smiled at the boys fondly, ruffling Adrian's hair and turning away to rinse the mixing bowl.

"When is Harry getting here?" Katy said as she and Yasmine crouched on the floor beside Gulliver, "Soon?"

"He said he'd come early," Adrian said, "so that we could play a game of chess."

"I don't know if he can make it early," Hermione said kindly, "he's been positively swamped with work recently."

"But it's Valentine's Day!" Yasmine said indignantly, "They wouldn't make him work on Valentine's Day!"

"On my birthday!" Jackie put in, looking equally nettled, "Papa ought to be here!"

"You'd like him to be here, Jackie," Hermione said, "but he's got to work, too, you know. I'm sure he'll do his best."

"Okay," Jackie said, "but I want him to be here. Don't you?"

"Of course I do, Jack-Jack," Hermione said, smiling, "but sometimes you have to try to understand that you don't always get what you want."

Jackie considered this, then shrugged.

"I'll try, too, Mama," she said with a sigh, "but it's hard."

Hermione smiled and picked Jackie up, kissing her forehead gently.

"Good girl," she said, "you really are growing up, you know. Four years old!"

Jackie beamed.

"Do I get to make a birthday wish, too? And blow out candles?"

"Four of them," Hermione promised, "and don't forget presents!"

Jackie's smile widened and she buried her face in Hermione's shoulder.

Suddenly, there was a loud crack in the foyer, and Jackie's head snapped up.

"Papa's here!" she said as five other voices chorused, "Harry's here!"

Hermione hurried out into the foyer, where Harry was stripping off his coat and scarf and placing them carefully on the hooks by the door.

"Happy Valentine's Day to you," he kissed Hermione soundly and brushed his fingers across her cheek, then kissed Jackie's forehead, "and happy birthday to you, Jack-Jack!"

He took Jackie from Hermione's arms and pretended to study her carefully, making Jackie giggle uncontrollably.

"Four whole years old!" he said, whistling, "That's older than me!"

"No, it isn't!" Jackie said, squirming and beaming at him, "I'm littler than you are!"

"You are?" Harry said, pretending to be confused, "Are you sure?"

"Papa, stop it!" Jackie said, hiding her face in his broad shoulder and giggling, "Don't be silly!"

A startled look crossed Harry's face, and he swallowed visibly as his gaze found Hermione's. She arched a brow just slightly and smiled encouragingly, seemingly in answer to the dozens of questions whirling in Harry's eyes.

"Jackie, why don't we show Papa your cake?"she said, putting a hand on Harry's shoulder and gently nudging him toward the kitchen. Harry managed to return Hermione's smile as he swallowed again, searching her gaze in confusion.

It was nearly an hour later when he and Hermione finally got a few brief moments to themselves. The children had hurried upstairs to get ready for the guests they were expecting-- Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Ron, and Neville-- leaving them in the kitchen, preparing the table for dinner.

"When did it start?" Harry said at last, in a bewildered, low voice. "I mean... even after Christmas, I was always just... `Harry'."

She paused and looked up, shaking her head and smiling at him tenderly.

"You've never been `just Harry'. Not to any of them, but especially not to Jackie."

"But when did she start--"

"...this morning, Harry," she said, reaching across the table for his hand, "and I didn't see any reason to stop her. The first thing she did this morning was ask where her papa was, and why you weren't here to sing her happy birthday."

Hermione came around the table and stood in front of him, releasing his hand and wrapping her arms around his waist. She tilted her chin back, looking him directly in the eye and smiling, her eyes glittering with unshed tears.

"To answer your next question," she whispered, trailing her fingers across his cheek, "yes, you can."

He looked down, leaning his nose against her hair and blinking rapidly.

"I don't know what prompted her," Hermione went on, "only that she's finally realized that someone loves her enough to claim her."

He let out a breath, smiling shakily and bending for another kiss.

Something on his face caught her eye as he did. She drew back and raised a hand to his forehead, pushing aside his hair and touching a purple gash just above his scar.

He was so taken aback that he didn't have time to stop himself from cringing.

She saw him flinch and suddenly her eyes clouded over with worry. She took one quick glance around the kitchen, then whispered angrily, "What have they been making you do?"

"Hermione..."

"Don't try to pretend that it's nothing," she whispered vehemently, "I may not be a certified Healer yet, but even I can see that's a curse wound. What have they been making you do?"

"Hermione, I know how this looks, but--"

"Didn't they even stop to let you treat it?" Hermione's eyes flashed as she examined the wound, "That could become infected!"

"It's not that bad, Hermione, I swear--"

"Harry, if that gash in your forehead becomes infected, you could die!" she whispered fiercely as she pulled herself out of his embrace and began rummaging about in a kitchen cabinet. "They didn't even bandage it!"

"Hermione, listen to me!" Harry said as strongly as he could as she turned around with three bottles of potions in her hand, "Listen!"

He stopped her hand as she went to rub the thick potion into his wound, looking her in the eye and attempting to calm her with a firm look. He knew the fiery look in her eye-- that familiar look of indignance and anger that usually proceeded rapidly planned-- and rapidly executed-- action.

"Hermione, there is no `they'." he said quietly, releasing her hand and allowing her to begin her administrations. Her eyes narrowed as his words sunk in.

"No one's asked us to do anything."

"'Us', meaning you and Neville?"

He looked away.

She dropped her hand and drew her wand, waving it. A glass appeared in the air and a measure of potion dribbled into it.

"Open your mouth," she said abruptly, lifting the glass to his lips. He drained the potion obediently, watching her nervously.

She lowered the glass, then placed it on the countertop behind her, looking away from him and looking anguished and angry all at once.

He licked his lips and started to say something, "Hermione--"

She cut him off, her voice sharp and trembling.

"How could you? How could you keep me in the dark?"

He cringed-- and this time, the gash had nothing to do with it. But it hurt-- perhaps twice as much-- to hear her say it in that tone.

"I... I don't know," he whispered humbly, guiltily. "I'm... I'm sorry."

But she wasn't done.

"You could have died!" she repeated forcefully, "In fact, you should have! It should have been fatal! It was meant to be! I could have lost you without knowing why!"

Tears had welled up her eyes as she glared at him, her lips trembling and face pale.

"I could have lost you," she whispered again, her face crumpling. "Harry--"

His arms went around her at once. Harry could think of little else to say but, "I'm sorry, Hermione-- Merlin, I'm so sorry--"

She stifled a sob in his shoulder and wound her arms around him tightly.

"I'm sorry-- I suppose I'm just-- it was a shock-- seeing that-- oh, Harry, what would I have done? What would I have done?"

He pressed his hand against her head, stroking her hair and leaning his cheek against her head.

"You don't have to think about it now," he said hoarsely, "You've taken care of it--"

She clutched at his shirt tightly and let out a deep breath.

"You've been after those Death-Eaters. You and Neville have been going at it alone--"

"The Aurors haven't been exactly doing a thorough job, Kingsley excepted." Harry said sharply, "D'you know what happened last week, Hermione? They tortured a man's fiancee-- right in front of him-- dragged him out of the house, locked the doors, and set the house on fire. He tried to attack them with his bare hands. He had gone completely mad, trying to save her. Throwing himself at the flaming doorway and trying to pull her out."

His voice shook as he cupped her cheek, locking his eyes on hers. His gaze was intensely vulnerable as he croaked, "I can't let that happen to you. To us. Because... I'd go mad, too-- if they took you--"

She dropped her gaze as he kissed her hair.

"I'm sorry," he said, "that I didn't tell you. But I have to. I have to do everything I can to protect you."

She hid her face in his chest and sighed shakily.

"Be careful," she whispered, "don't do anything reckless."

"I'll be careful."

He stroked her hair softly.

"I have a way of making Valentine's Day interesting, don't I?" he said in a lighter tone, "The cake looks fantastic, by the way."

"Jackie's very proud of it," Hermione said, wiping her eyes and drawing back, "She wants to be in charge of the wedding cake."

"I don't see why she shouldn't be." Harry said, trying to smile, "Though she and Molly will have to fight for it."

She smiled at last, her eyes brightening.

"I knew you'd say that," she said as he squeezed her gently, "Even though the frosting will probably be bright green and purple and red."

"Not the most traditional colors," Harry agreed, "but I think I'll like it."

"I think I will, too."

Their smiles faded as they looked at each other. Hermione leaned forward and kissed him, her eyes moist and wistful.

"When we marry."

He wrapped his arms around her tightly and sighed heavily.

"On the bright side, February's the shortest month of the year," he said, making her smile. "The shortest month of the year for celebrating the strongest thing there is. Bit sad, isn't it?"

Hermione's smile softened.

"Perhaps it's to remind us that love ought to be celebrated through the entire year and not just once," she said, "you tend to treasure something more, the shorter it becomes."

"Still, it's supposed to last forever."

"And it will," she said, pulling him in for another kiss, "it has to."

A/N (2): The last bit of the chapter was extremely difficult to write. I'm still not sure if I like it. Let me know what you think and thank you for reading!

-->