Unofficial Portkey Archive

Journey by Ravenchick
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Journey

Ravenchick

Ethan and two of his men were captured. The other seven escaped.

Harry and I agreed to take a room at the Leaky Cauldron while we waited for a team of Aurors to sweep the cottage in Godric's Hollow to make certain there were no more listening devices and that the protection charms we'd put in place hadn't been compromised. Once the place had been declared safe Harry and I returned and finished Christmas break.

Ron stopped speaking to both of us, as did Ginny. She had accepted that she and Harry were through. Her anger at me stemmed from Ron's hurt feelings. Ginny continued seeing Rob Littleton, who had been rescued along with Grace McDonald, based on information gleaned from Ethan during interrogation.

Winter slowly changed to spring. The snow melted, the weather warmed, and our studies came to an end. Harry, Ron, Ginny and I all passed our NEWTS and graduated with offers of work and study at the Ministry. Harry was going to pursue his desire to become an Auror. I decided to pursue a career in equal rights for House Elves and other creatures.

I heard through mutual friends that Ron also intended to become an Auror. Ginny was going to play Seeker for the Holyhead Harpies.

Harry and I gave up trying to talk to either Ron or Ginny. All we received in return were cold stares or angry words. I did see Harry healing a busted lip one evening in his study after a fight with Ron.

The last day of school came in rainy. Harry and I cleared our studies to be occupied the following school year by a new Head Boy and Head Girl. Once everything was packed away I stood in the middle of the room and thought of everything that had happened there over the past year.

I was lost in thought and surprised by Ron's voice behind me.

"So, this is it," he said.

I turned to face him. I didn't waste time on small talk. I had so much I wanted to say to Ron.

"I would give anything to take your pain away," I said sincerely. "I never wanted to hurt you, Ron. Never."

Ron nodded. "Yeah, well, you did. You hurt me very badly, Hermione."

I nodded and felt tears sting at my eyes.

"You really love him, don't you?" he asked.

Again, I nodded. I let the tears fall this time.

"You always have. I guess it was stupid of me to think you two were just friends," Ron said quietly. I was relieved that there was no bitterness in his voice. He seemed calm and thoughtful.

"We were just friends," I said.

"Until you weren't," Ron countered.

He heaved a sigh and took a seat on the divan by the window. I tried not to think of how I'd lost my virginity on it with Harry as I sat down beside him. I tentatively touched Ron's hand. He let me.

"We were the best of friends once," I said. "Will we ever be friends again?"

Ron shook his head. "Not like we were. It'll never be like that again."

"I know we can't go back completely but…will you ever stop hating me?"

Again Ron sighed. "I don't hate you. I did for awhile, I won't lie. I hated you both. I loved you so much, Hermione, and you broke my heart."

"I'm sorry, Ron. I'm so sorry!"

I threw my arms around him. He was stiff at first, but then he patted me on the back and relaxed a little.

"I wanted to ask you why so many times since I came back. Then I realized the answer to my own question. You can't help who you love. It's not a decision you can make with your head."

I sat back and looked at him.

"I love you, Ron. I truly do."

"Yeah, just not the way I love you. I get it."

He still loved me. To hear it broke my heart because I knew that every time he saw me, at least for awhile, he would feel a stab to his heart.

"Maybe someday we'll be friends again," Ron said. "Maybe someday."

He kissed me on the forehead and stood up. As soon as the door closed behind him I laid on the divan and cried.

*****

Our first night at the cottage was a good one. The repairs on the place were done. It was a small house but it was cozy. It was ours.

Harry came into the bedroom and sat beside me. The bed squeaked loudly as his weight settled in. The rain poured heavily outside and I had the window up to hear it better.

We made love by candlelight listening to the sound of the rain.

A cool welcoming breeze blew through the window and gently caressed my sweat-slicked skin. Harry fell soundly asleep next to me. I watched his face. He looked happy and content, and it made me smile.

Despite everything that had happened over the past year, despite all the pain I regretted causing my friends, I didn't regret what I had with Harry.

I had a life with the man I loved. I had a bright future. Someday I may even regain some of the friendship I'd lost with Ron and Ginny. No matter what happened with them, I would always have Harry's love. I had a lot to be thankful for.

And I was.

-End