Unofficial Portkey Archive

Like Father Like Son by DarthMittens
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Like Father Like Son

DarthMittens

A/N: I've decided that I'm going to try making my chapters a bit longer so you have more to read with each installment at the regular three day mark (That's why I didn't uphold my personal challenge of posting three days in a row…). I don't exactly know if this is going to work out (especially when school starts next month), but I'll try keeping it up as long as possible.

Thanks for the awesome reviews, please keep 'em coming!

Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.
-Washington Irving

Chapter 9 - Who I Want You to Be

2 Weeks Later

Harry's body swayed with the train and gave a small jerk as the Hogwarts Express came to a stop at King's Cross station. Harry and Aurora had opted to go home for the first week of Winter Break and arrive back at school on the evening of Christmas Eve. Daniel, who wouldn't be attending the Christmas Ball, opted instead to stay at home for the full two weeks.

Harry shrunk his luggage, grabbed Hedwig, and stepped off the train, looking for his family. Hermione stepped off the train and walked right in front of him without spotting him. Harry, thinking of the lessons Luna had given her, said, "Have a good week at home, Hermione."

Hermione looked back at him, still unsure of how to respond to him even though he had been nice for two weeks now. On the one hand, the 'new' Harry (Hermione was still sure this was some sort of hoax-Harry had done nothing but prank her all through their first six years of Hogwarts) was very nice and likeable. But on the other hand, Hermione remembered the old Harry and how much he had put her through and annoyed her, not to mention the fact that he was a bragging arse around everyone. But her parents had always taught her to be polite and she couldn't pretend she hadn't heard now that she'd turned to face him.

"Er…you too," she replied more than a little awkwardly before turning back around and resuming her search for her parents.

Harry sighed in relief that she hadn't bit his head off and wove his way through the crowd in search of his parents. Many wondered why Harry just didn't give up and why he would want someone who was so mean to him. The answer was simple. He was in love. Not to mention the fact that Hermione was hot when she was angry and he found the fact that she had so much fire in her very attractive.

Something slammed into his midsection and let out a muffled cry of "Harry!" into his shirt.

"Miranda!" he said happily, getting on one knee and hugging her properly. "Where's mum and dad?"

"C'mon!" she said, grabbing his hand and dragging him through the crowd. Quite a few people said goodbye to him (most of whom he didn't know) and he was left no option but to say a quick 'see ya!' in return.

They finally made it back to his parents, where he first hugged his father then reluctantly acquiesced to receiving the ceremonial hug and fussing-over from his mother. It was ten times worse than usual.

"Stay still, Harry!" she said as she pointed her wand at various points of his body, running scans.

"Mum, I'm fine!" said Harry indignantly, getting more irritated as he heard some snickers around him.

"I'll be the judge of that, mister," said Lily sternly as she prodded one of the ribs that he had broken from catching the snitch. Harry knew was in for it, especially when his mother's eye twitched as she looked up at him with a deadly gleam in her eye. "Harry James Potter, how in the world did you break four ribs, both legs, receive a concussion, and puncture a lung…all on the same day exactly two weeks and two days ago?" She asked shrilly, attracting the attention of even more of his fellow classmates.

"Er…well, you see…"said Harry, who was getting more uncomfortable with every tap of her foot on the floor. "I kinda...jumped off my broom to catch the snitch," he mumbled quietly. "I got it, though!" he added at the end, hoping it would lessen his mother's anger for some reason.

"Way to go, son!" said James enthusiastically, giving his son a thumbs up.

Somehow Harry's plan of adding that last bit worked, for now all of Lily's anger was directed at her husband. Harry relaxed visibly, then grabbed Miranda's hand with one of his own and Hedwig's cage with the other, ready to apparate before his mum turned back to him.

"Straight to the living room, young man," said Lily dangerously without turning around. "You are not to leave it until I tell you otherwise.

He met the eyes of his dad, Daniel, and Aurora.

James and Daniel both gave him sympathetic looks while his sister smirked at him. He juvenilely stuck his tongue out at her before apparating straight to the living room with Miranda and Hedwig in tow. When they got home, Miranda skipped merrily out of the room, singing, "Harry's in trouble! Harry's in trouble!"

Hedwig chirped happily and ruffled her wings before nibbling at a bar of her cage, signifying that she wanted out. Harry complied, watching her jump out of her cage and soar out of the window and into the snowy sky.

Harry flopped onto the couch and let out a heavy sigh, though there was no one around to hear it.

Why he had decided to come home for the week was beyond him.

***LFLS***

The next few days at home reminded Harry exactly why he had come home for the week. After the half-an-hour long lecture about safety and using his brain and being responsible and making him promise he wouldn't do it again, things went back to normal. Harry and Miranda would play in the snow or watch some television during the daytime, sometimes joined by Daniel and even once by Aurora-when there was no Hermione in the equation, she wasn't too bad to be around. They also had a few family outings, such as the zoo, a muggle cinema, and an Appleby Arrows Quidditch Match (in which the Chudley Cannons extended their winning streak to 47). They also had a fun game of-two-on two Quidditch: Harry and Daniel versus James and Aurora, with Lily as the referee and Miranda as the resident cheerleader.

And then it was the day before Harry and Aurora were due to go back to the school.

Harry and Miranda were building a snowman, no magic allowed. It was a thankfully clear day, which meant it wasn't as cold as it could've been. Harry had just set down Miranda after picking her up to put the top hat on the snowman's head when Lily stepped outside.

"Harry, Miranda!" she called. "Come on in and get showered and ready!"

"For what?" Harry asked as he and his sister trudged back into the house.

"Company, of course," said Lily. "Your father and I told you about it yesterday."

"Er…no you didn't," replied Harry, scratching his head as he tried to remember such an occurrence.

"Yes we did," insisted Lily. "You were reading your Quidditch magazine on the sofa while you were eating what must've been your tenth sandwich in twenty minutes," she continued, trying to jog his memory. When her son still gave her a blank look, she said, "We told you we were having company over and you nodded and said, 'right'."

Harry smirked at her. "Mum, I'm seventeen. If I'm reading a Quidditch magazine and I nod my head and say 'right', it means I wasn't listening at all." Lily opened her mouth to scold her son, but he smoothly cut her off. "Anyway, who's coming over?"

"Well, your father is always hoping to expand the Potter fortune, as you know, so we're having a couple over who are interested in getting investors to expand their business." said Lily, giving her son a look that said, 'I dare you to gripe about it'.

But Harry was never one to back down from a challenge. "And why must I attend?"

"Because," said Lily in her 'you're-treading-on-thin-ice-young-man' voice, "they've heard a bit about you and are interested in meeting you. You're a very polite and handsome young man, I'm sure they'll love you." Harry wasn't sure what them loving him had anything to do with an investment opportunity, but before he could ask, his mother said, "They're muggles, by the way, so no magic." Harry nodded and rolled his eyes at the magic thing (Duh). His dad, being an entrepreneur, frequently had dealings with both magical folk and muggles alike. Lily coughed and quickly added, "And they have a daughter your age that's coming with them."

Ah, there it is. The real reason. "Really, mum?" said Harry, rolling his eyes. "I already told you, it's not weird that I haven't even gone on one date."

"And why is that?" asked Lily. "You're a very handsome and nice young man-you should have no problem gaining the attention of beautiful, intelligent young women. And you haven't told me why it isn't weird; last I checked both you and your father were keeping the reason very close to yourselves."

Harry almost choked on air as he realized he had indeed never told his mother why he'd never been on a date, and had made James promise to do the same. And now here he was, cornered. "Er…um…I-I'll go get ready," he said nervously, trying to slip past his mum.

But to no avail. She cut him off and raised an eyebrow at him. She frowned up at him. Then it clicked. "I have no problem with it, you know," she said mysteriously.

Okay, so maybe it hadn't clicked. "Problem with what?"

"I mean, you've never had a girlfriend," said Lily, seeming kind of unsure of herself-which was a very rare occurrence. "The thought didn't even cross my mind until now, but really, I would have no problem with it…like I said, you're very handsome…you'd have no problem gaining the attention of a nice young man either."

Harry blinked a few times, looking down at his mum like she had grown a third head as he came to understand fully what she had just said. "Mum!" he finally said indignantly. "I'm not gay!"

Lily's cheeks colored a bit. "Well how am I supposed to know that? You've never been with a girl, so I thought…maybe…"

Harry sighed, knowing there was going to be a lot of fawning going on within the next few minutes. "Really, mum, I'm interested in girls…well, one girl in particular," he finally admitted.

The next thing he knew, he was being squeezed in a bone-crushing embrace. "Oh, my little Harry!" she said when she stepped back, tears of joy in her eyes. "You've grown up so fast. Is she your first?"

"My first what?" asked Harry.

"Your first love, of course," said Lily excitedly.

At this Harry sighed contentedly and smiled as he thought about the girl in question. "My first…my only," he responded.

"Ooh," replied Lily, beaming. "When did this happen? Are you going to ask her out?"

"Let's see now," said Harry, scratching his chin in thought. "It began in the beginning of fourth year, and I've asked her out…three hundred seventy-two times, unless I'm mistaken."

Lily's smile faltered. "She…she's rejected you almost four hundred times?" she asked in disbelief. "Is she just not interested in you?"

Harry grinned at his mum. "Oh, she's definitely interested in me. She's just too stubborn and proud to admit it."

"How can you be too proud to admit that you're interested in someone?" asked Lily.

"Because I frequently tell her that she will fall in love with me some day," replied Harry. "She's not the type to admit that I'm right."

Lily nodded in understanding at that. "That's all very well, Harry, that you like this girl and all…but-"

"I love her, mum," said Harry quickly and concretely, cutting his mum off and daring her to say otherwise. "And I know what you were going to say because I hear it ten times a day from Ron. I won't move on…she's the one meant for me, like you and dad were meant for each other." His seriousness turned into lightheartedness as he smiled at Lily, who was regarding her son with mixed emotions. "I'm so close, mum. I guarantee you that by the end of the school year she and I will be together and you can meet her and embarrass me with stories of my childhood."

Lily smiled-how could she not when Harry was so confident about this? And besides, James never gave up and look what happened. "Alright, you. Thanks for finally giving me the scoop on your love life." She let Harry pass, but when he was at the bottom of the stairs, she said, "Oh, I almost forgot to ask. Can I know her name?"

"It's Hermione…Hermione Granger," Harry said before going upstairs to shower.

"Beautiful name" Lily said to herself as she headed back to the kitchen to finish making dinner. Then she stopped dead in her tracks.

Granger, that was the surname of the people they were about to meet. Lily had never learned their daughter's name…she chuckled to herself, shook her head, and went back into the kitchen.

It was a weird coincidence, but there was no way it could be the same Grangers. These Grangers were muggles, after all.

***LFLS***

"Hermione, are you almost ready?" called Robert Granger from the bottom of the stairs as his wife Helen put on her coat.

Hermione arrived at the top of the stairs, looking to her parents for their opinion of her outfit. She was wearing dark blue jeans with a black shirt that said 'Got Books?' covered by a pink sweatshirt. "You look beautiful, honey," said Helen.

"Thanks, mum," said Hermione with a smile. Then that smile turned into a frown as she asked, "You're absolutely sure I have to go?"

"Yes, dear," replied her mum. "They'll love you and they have a son who's your age. We've seen a photo of him. He's very handsome and looks very nice. You never know, you two might be able to…" Helen trailed off suggestively.

Hermione raised an eyebrow at her mother. "Mum, I'm not really interested at the moment. One, I have a lot of studying to do, and two, I told you that I'm going to the ball with a boy on Christmas. Isn't that enough?"

"Oh, come on, Hermione," said Robert. "You never know, you two may hit it off. Do it for us…please?"

Hermione shook her head slowly and sighed, but a small smile made its way onto her face. "Fine," she said in acquiescence. "But I better get something in return for this tomorrow before the train ride."

Helen pretended to think long and hard about it even though she had prepared a decent response beforehand. "Chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast?" she asked, being cruel by offering her daughter something she'd never be able to refuse.

And Hermione pretended to think about it even though she knew that was exactly what her mother was going to say. "Hmmm…deal," she said before fully descending the stairs and heading to the garage with her parents.

Pretending to be interested in the dinner conversation instead of sitting in bed reading the new fantasy novel her parents had purchased for her was well worth a batch of delicious, home-made chocolate chip pancakes.

Or so she thought.

***LFLS***

Harry's room had a window facing the street, and he looked up in interest from his homework as a car pulled up to the curb right in front of the house at exactly 6:45 p.m.

The two adults stepped out of the car, one from the front and one the back as a teenage girl stepped out of the driver's seat. It was too dark outside to see what they looked like, but Harry already knew this girl would not be nearly as captivating or beautiful as Hermione.

Harry made his way downstairs and called, "They're here!" loudly through the house.

"Can you grab the door, Harry?" asked Lily from the kitchen. "I'm the only one down here and your dad is still putting on his tie."

"No problem," said Harry just as the guests knocked.

He was at the door five seconds later, pulling it open with a smile on his face. He held out his hand to shake the man's hand when he suddenly froze in place as he got a proper look at the girl. "H-Hermione?" he asked, thoroughly confused.

"Harry?" Hermione repeated, though with a 'just-my-luck' tone to it.

"What?" said Robert, looking at his daughter interestedly. "You know this young man, Hermione?"

"Of course I do," she said, recovering and becoming her normal self again. "I've only been going to school with him for the past six years of my life."

"Harry Potter," Harry said helpfully, holding his hand out for Mr. Granger to shake. "Gryffindor house, Head Boy."

"Oh," said Helen as she accepted Harry's hand next. "Not only that, but they're the two head students together?" she asked as she looked at her husband with a glint in her eye.

"Please, come in," said Harry politely, stepping aside. "The dining room is straight ahead. Dinner will be ready in about ten to fifteen minutes."

Mr. and Mrs. Granger walked straight through to the dining room while Hermione stayed next to Harry, who shut the door and turned to face her. "What's this all about?" she asked suspiciously.

Harry shook his head and shrugged. "I knew as much about this as you, apparently."

Hermione narrowed her eyes suspiciously at him, then quietly said, "I'm warning you now, Harry. You try anything tonight, I guarantee I'll hex you into oblivion once we get on the train tomorrow."

"Got it," said Harry simply.

Hermione studied Harry's face for a second, making sure he really 'got it'. "Alright then…where's Aurora?"

"Probably upstairs," he said. "I'll show you if you like."

But that wouldn't be necessary. "Hermione?" his sister asked as she stepped into the entrance hall.

"Aurora," she responded, going and giving the younger girl a hug.

Harry slipped past them and into the kitchen as his shock dissipated. This was truly unbelievable.

"So, what do you think?" asked Lily.

"What do I think of what?" he asked absent-mindedly, still trying to comprehend the fact that Hermione was in his house.

"The girl, of course," his mother said simply as she put the servings on the plates. "Is she cute?"

"Mum," he said seriously, causing her to stop what she was doing and look up at her son. "The girl is Hermione."

"Hermione?" asked Lily, confused for a second. Then it hit her. "The Hermione?" she asked in disbelief.

"She's muggleborn," said Harry in way of explanation. Then he rolled his eyes. "And yes, the Hermione."

"We unknowingly invited over the girl you love?" asked Lily, who was quite obviously amused.

"Shh!" said Harry.

"What?" asked Lily, whose amusement was growing by the second. "Doesn't she know already?"

"Yeah, but we don't want Miranda skipping through the house singing about us sitting in a tree," said Harry. "I highly doubt her parents know, and if they did…well, I'm not really sure what would happen."

Lily just raised her eyebrows at her son but said nothing. She only asked, "Will you please help me with bringing these out?"

Harry took out his wand and levitated all the plates, raising an eyebrow at Lily. "Their daughter's a witch, mum."

"Right," she said, shaking her head absent-mindedly.

She couldn't wait to meet the young woman who had captured her son's heart.

***LFLS***

"So, this is your house?" Hermione asked Aurora. "It's really nice."

"Thanks," replied Aurora, glad that her best (and only) friend was with her at that moment. She couldn't take five more minutes of Harry and Miranda running all over the pace and being loud. All she wanted to do (before Hermione came, at least) was read.

"Aurora," said a small voice from the doorway. Miranda was terribly shy.

"Hey, there," said Hermione in a friendly voice.

"Miranda, this is my friend Hermione," said Aurora, gesturing for her sister to step forward. "Hermione, my sister Miranda."

"Nice to meet you," said Hermione, holding out her hand for the cute young girl to shake.

"Hi," said Miranda quietly, not meeting Hermione's eyes and barely grabbing her hand before pulling it back and turning to her sister. "Do you know where Harry is? He said we would have a snowball fight tonight!" she said excitedly.

Hermione almost laughed at the mental image. Harry, Harry who's always an arrogant git, has snowball fights with his eight-year-old sister?

She envisioned (not that she had ever spent time envisioning it) Harry's home life as him hanging out in his room all day boosting his ego or going out and hanging out with friends. She definitely did not see him as the type to entertain an eight-year-old. It just seemed so selfless and thoughtful and not at all something he could brag about to his friends or classmates.

Hermione was snapped out of her musings by Aurora answering her younger sister. "Sorry, Miranda, but dinner's going to be ready in just a few minutes," she said, making a sympathetic face. "You'll have to ask mum and dad if it's alright to go out after dinner."

Miranda's frown brightened into a smile. "I'll go right now!" she said, her enthusiasm renewed, before dashing out of the room.

"She's so cute," said Hermione once it was just she and Aurora again.

"You say that now," said Aurora, giving Hermione a grim look. "But when she and Harry are playing…let's just say they're at the same level in terms of maturity and energy."

"Oh," replied Hermione, envisioning Fred and George with about ten times the energy. "Sounds peaceful," she said with a chuckle.

"You don't even know," said Aurora with wide eyes as she led Hermione to the dining room for dinner, where everyone but Lily and Harry were seated.

Harry came in levitating all the plates, making them set themselves gently in front of each person. James looked like he was about to have a heart attack-obviously no one had yet told him that Hermione was the Head Girl at Hogwarts. Nobody noticed James's reaction except for Hermione, though. The only otherperson who probably would've noticed was his wife, but as soon as Lily entered the room her eyes met Hermione's, scrutinizing her and attempting to judge whether or not she was worthy of her son's heart.

Hermione, though she didn't care whether or not Lily found her to be worthy of Harry's heart, met Lily's challenging stare head-on. She had never backed down from any challenge before, and she sure as hell wasn't going to back down from her role model even if she did possess the most fiery, intelligent pair of eyes she had ever seen.

And without taking her eyes from Hermione's, she sat down and said, "James, close your mouth before I have to demonstrate to all the kids here how to properly cast a lip-locking hex."

James, sensing his wife's odd mood and understanding the fact that everyone in the room seemed to know about magic, promptly closed his still-hanging-open mouth, cleared his throat, and cheerily said, "Well, then. This looks delicious. Shall we dig in?"

Lily didn't answer immediately, instead seemingly taking her time in coming to a conclusion concerning Hermione. Hermione didn't know exactly what test she was currently trying to pass, but she somehow did, for Lily gave her a genuine, heartfelt smile and said, "Sounds good, dear," to her husband.

"So…" said James, still clueless about the identity of the Grangers' daughter. "How do you three know about magic?"

"I'm the Head Girl at Hogwarts, Mr. Potter," said Hermione quickly. "Hermione Granger."

It was unfortunate that James had just taken a large bite of mashed potatoes, for he proceeded to choke on it and sends bits of it flying across the table, earning odd looks from Helen and Robert. Lily whipped out her wand and vanished the bits of flood arcing through the air before they could strike someone in the face, then used a liquidation charm to clear her husband's airway.

James gave a significant look to his son even as everyone stared at him, and Harry gave only a miniscule nod in return. There was definitely an awkwardness settling over the table. They all sat looking at each other, some unsure what was going on and others knowing all too well what was going on.

That is…until Miranda anxiously asked, "Why isn't anybody eating? I'm starving!"

Everyone laughed and began eating the delicious meal Lily cooked. The adults decided that since the kids knew each other, they could discuss business after dinner. Of course, Lily agreed on this point because she wanted to get to know her son's love interest a little better.

"So, Hermione," she said. "Do you know what you want to do yet when you graduate Hogwarts?"

"Yes," replied Hermione, though a lot less confidently than normal and with a faint pink hue to her cheeks. "I want to be a healer…i-in your wing," she admitted.

"Oh, wait," said Lily thoughtfully, seeming to remember something. "Hermione Granger…the Hermione Granger who Madam Pomfrey speaks so highly of? The Hermione Granger who, without taking her NEWTs yet, has a recommendation to enter Healer's school straight out of Hogwarts and has already submitted an application-one of the best and most well-written applications I've read in the past decade?"

The pink tinge turned into a full-on blush as her role model praised her. "Y-you read my application?" she asked in awe. The Grangers looked proud.

"I rarely read applications unless my subordinates believe one of them to be truly astounding," explained Lily. "Let me put it this way: since receiving this post almost six years ago, yours is only the second application my subordinates have sent to me."

"Oh wow," said Robert.

"Good job, Hermione," said Harry with a small smile.

"Er…thanks," said Hermione, trying to be polite in return.

Aurora's smile grew on her face as Harry's dissipated.

The rest of dinner followed in much the same manner, a chain of one semi-awkward moment to the next.

After the excellent meal, all the kids but Harry and Miranda retreated upstairs while the adults poured themselves glasses of wine and began talking about business.

Harry and Miranda both donned their coats and headed to the spacious backyard, which Harry surrounded with a heating ward. Everything within its boundaries stayed at about room temperature, so they wouldn't freeze to death.

Meanwhile, Hermione and Aurora ventured around the house, Aurora giving her friend a tour of her home. Having already seen the downstairs, Aurora took Hermione upstairs, starting off with her own room. "Wow," commented Hermione. "You have almost as many books as I do."

Next, Hermione got just a peek of Lily and James's very well furnished master bedroom and saw the surprisingly spacious bathroom that Aurora shared with Miranda. Daniel and Aurora's room came next, then they were back at Aurora's room. "Wait," said Hermione. "What about Harry's room?"

She didn't want to admit it, not even to herself, but Harry's room was what she had been dying to see all along.

Aurora raised an eyebrow at Hermione, causing her cheeks to color a bit (for reasons she did not know) and her arms to fold defensively across her chest. "I…I-It'd be good to have some more dirt against him, that's all," she said to Aurora, feeling horrible for lying to her friend. She honestly didn't know what she was looking for. Proof maybe? Proof that she had real reason to never date him in a million years? Proof that he wasn't exactly a good person at heart (though she knew in her heart that that wasn't true)? Or maybe (though she didn't know it and would never, ever admit it to herself) proof that she liked him and would consider him dating material? Whatever the reason, she didn't know, but she just had to see his room.

Aurora smiled at Hermione's idea and said, "Sure, the only problem is…well, he has locking charms and intruder wards."

"Doesn't the house as an entity have those? Why would he need them in his own house?" asked Hermione.

Aurora shrugged and said, "I don't know, but mum and dad said that a teenage boy needs his privacy and that he should practice the charms for when he moves out."

"Hmmm…" said Hermione, thinking. First thing first, it would be best if they made sure he was occupied.

Hermione took a glance outside of Aurora's window, which faced the backyard. It seemed the snowball fight was over and Harry had used magic to craft a little tea set, table, and chairs out of snow, which he charmed to resist the heating ward. Hermione had to stifle a laugh as she saw Harry sitting in a seat that was way too tiny for him, drinking hot cocoa in what looked to be a two-person tea party. Miranda looked to be incredibly happy, Harry much the same.

Speaking of Harry…Hermione looked at his body, which was clothed with jeans and a somewhat-tight T-shirt. She had never seen him without robes before and she hated to admit it, but he was hot. Incredibly fit from Quidditch, a broad jaw, and that messy, seemingly wind-blown hair gave Hermione the urge to pull him into a broom closet and snog him senseless. Not to mention the fact that it made him ten times cuter when he was doting on his youngest sister. Most seventeen-year-olds paid almost no attention to eight-year-old siblings let alone play outside with them every day they were off of school. It was a good thing Hermione wasn't shallow, or Harry would've already been thoroughly sexually harassed.

"Are you going to stare at my brother all night or are we going over to his room?" asked Aurora teasingly.

Hermione quickly hopped up and followed her friend to Harry's room door, which was just painted a solid white, giving her no insight there. She ran a couple tests on the door and found out what kind of ward was set up. Harry, like a lot of seventeen-year-old guys, only put about 50 percent of the possible effort he had into making it and thinking up something clever. All Hermione was left with was a simple password to speak-he hadn't even modified the ward to listen to his voice only. "It needs a password," Hermione informed Aurora.

"Oh, bollocks!" she said, thinking furiously. "Er…Quidditch!" she said quickly, saying the first thing that came to mind. "Snitch! Seeker!"

Hermione was thinking too, and she had a good idea what it was. Shutting her eyes, she whispered, "Hermione," to the door and it opened noiselessly, allowing her and Aurora to trespass. Hermione's heart warmed a little.

He had a very nice room painted in the same shade of green as his eyes that had a few pieces of what looked to be mahogany furniture. Aurora immediately went for his desk drawers for more dirt on him as Hermione looked around. She saw quite a few pictures of family but the one that really caught her eye was a picture of Harry and Miranda standing on the Eifel Tower, Harry on one knee and an arm around his sister's shoulders. Actually, if she looked closely, every picture in the room had Miranda in it…he really loved her a lot.

"Oh, mum, come on, it's only nine thirty!" came Harry's voice from downstairs. "It's Christmas eve…eve!" he said.

The sound came from the bottom of the stairs and Aurora gave Hermione an alarmed look, shoving one of the desk drawers back closed. There was a thump and a shuffle, and Hermione's heart started pumping loudly in fear of being caught in his room. She'd never hear the end of it. But there was one thing she couldn't resist. There was a drawer marked 'Top Secret', and Hermione quickly magically made copies of all the papers in there. For some reason, she felt oddly drawn to the pieces of paper in there. The stack felt lighter than she expected.

She quickly got out of the room and relocked and warded it, leaving it just the way she had found it.

"Fine, mum…I'll put her to bed," said Harry morosely.

Hermione stepped back into Aurora's room just as a defeated-looking Miranda with Harry in tow made it to the top of the stairs. Harry was so sad he didn't even glance at Hermione as he passed her. Hermione quickly gave Aurora the excuse that she was using the restroom and quietly followed Harry and Miranda to her room, silently laughing as Harry tickled her and got her ready for bed, telling her a humorous story about the antics he and Ron had gotten into at school when they were younger, feeding the flame in his sister that desperately wanted to be attending Hogwarts right at that moment.

She couldn't believe how sweet and thoughtful he was, even trying to argue with his mum to get her bedtime extended a little so he could spend more time with her.

Miranda fell asleep even though she was trying so hard to keep her eyes open after the story ended, and Harry gently kissed her forehead before tucking her in properly. And Hermione's heart melted.

That was her dream man. A tender, sweet, loving man who wasn't afraid of a fiery woman and would care deeply for their children and be good with them. If Harry had always been like this, Hermione would've said yes to a date right from the get-go. If Harry could change himself so he was always like this, Hermione would have no problem saying yes in the near-future. It was a pity, really…reality.

Hermione went back into Aurora's room with a dreamy smile on her face, and Aurora had to resist the urge to roll her eyes. For all the times Hermione said she disliked Harry, she sure seemed to act like a lovesick puppy quite a bit.

Hermione couldn't help but let her mind wander to Harry throughout the night, wondering what he was doing (and if he looked good while doing it…though she wouldn't have admitted it).

Good thing they were going back to Hogwarts tomorrow…it seemed as though she was in desperate need of a distraction.

A/N: The first half was just how I wanted it…not so sure about the second half, but…eh.

I hope you enjoyed it and please review!