Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Knight of the Radiant Heart by Raven3182
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Knight of the Radiant Heart

Raven3182

Disclaimer: Harry Potter is owned by J.K. Rowling and her various corporate partners. Keldorn Firecam is owned by BioWare, Atari, or whoever it is that owns the rights to Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn these days, although I have taken several liberties with his character. I own nothing, and I am making no profit by my little ventures into the shadowy realms of fanfiction. I do so purely for enjoyment. I would, however, like to thank JKR for allowing us all to play in her sandbox.

OoOoO

Harry Potter and the Knight of the Radiant Heart

X

September the First dawned bright and early at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. In an astounding feat of logic that probably only made sense to the staunchest traditionalists in the wizarding world, it was determined that Hermione and Harry would need to travel to King's Cross and then take the Hogwarts Express back to the castle along with the other students. Harry saw how that might make sense for Hermione, since she was a prefect and was supposed to patrol the train, but Harry had no such duties and was at a loss when it came to understanding why he had to spend his entire day traveling to a destination that he had already reached. But apparently tradition was tradition. At least Harry was able to convince McGonagall that they didn't need to take all of their belongings with them and could instead leave their trunks in their dormitories.

But before taking the Portkey that would drop them on Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, the two students found themselves eating a late, final summer breakfast at the staff table in the Great Hall along with Dumbledore, McGonagall, Hagrid and Keldorn. Harry was a mix of emotions; he was excited to see his friends once again, but he was also a little sad that the best summer of his life was coming to an end. Hermione, on the other hand, was positively brimming with excitement for the start of another academic year.

"Oh, I just can't wait to start out N.E.W.T. classes," she told the table at large, "just think of all the new topics to delve into and explore…"

"Only you, Hermione," Harry said with a smile.

Hermione rolled her eyes at Harry as if he was the silly one.

"And I can't wait to really get started on my special project," the young witch continued. "Speaking of which, Sir Firecam, I was wondering if it would be possible for me to take a closer look at your armor sometime."

"And just why would you need to do that, my dear?"

"Well, even among all the excitement in Diagon Ally, I noticed how your armor simply appeared when you needed it. It almost looked like it grew out to cover you. I was thinking of trying to recreate something similar for my N.E.W.T. project."

"Yeah," interjected Harry turning to address the knight, "I noticed that too. How's that work?"

"Ah, well, I suppose that wouldn't hurt," answered the knight. "The most important part of my armor is actually rather ancient, and once belonged to Saint Jorg the Dragon Slayer."

Hermione's eyes sparkled with interest.

"And who was he?" she inquired.

"Saint Jorg was a soldier in an ancient, heathen army long ago. He saw the Light and converted his life and eventually became a great paladin. It is said that he slew a great black dragon single-handedly. His life was so fraught with constant danger that whenever he tried to remove his armor in order to rest, he would be attacked by an enemy who saw his lack of armor as their needed opening and advantage. So, the Light blessed St. Jorg and bestowed on him the gorget that still bears his name," Keldorn said as he tapped the wide metal collar that he always wore around his neck. "When the Gorget of St. Jorg is worn with any suit of armor and the command words are spoken, as much or as little of the armor desired by the one wearing it will retract into the gorget. Likewise, when a different command is uttered, some or all of the armor will unfold, ready for battle. That way he would never be caught at disadvantage again."

"That's amazing!" exclaimed Hermione. "If it's that easy, would you mind demonstrating it for me? Please?"

"I'd just do it if I were you, sir," Harry said to the knight, "I've learned that in situations like these, it's best not to stand between Hermione and the knowledge she's after."

Hermione glared at Harry and gave him a shove to the shoulder. However, once she had silenced her best friend, she turned her expectant look back upon Sir Firecam.

"Well, I don't see what it could hurt," said the knight. He then turned to the Headmaster, "With your permission."

"Like our dear Miss Granger, I find myself quite intrigued," replied Dumbledore, "please go right ahead."

Keldorn stood from his seat and moved away from the table.

"To arms!" he shouted and immediately his bright, shining armor expanded out from within his gorget to cover him head to toe. Even his mirrored shield appeared on his left arm. Harry noticed that while the armor covered the knight's clothing, it somehow managed to make its way underneath his belt so that it and the sword hanging from it would still be accessible. Harry also saw that Sir Firecam was now wearing a metal helmet, something that he had not seen before.

"Why weren't you wearing that helmet in the ally?" Harry asked.

The old knight his lifted the visor that covered his face before answering.

"I find the helm to be too restrictive. One can barely see or hear a thing with it on. I find that being able to see my enemies is more important than the protection that the helm might provide, so I normally forgo wearing it."

He then slowly turned in a circle so that everyone could see the entire suit of armor before barking another command.

"Return to the Gorget!" he said, which made the armor fold up and disappear into the metal collar. Once again, the knight appeared in his simple blue clothing with the gorget around his neck, a few left-over pieces of armor on his shoulders and his sword strapped around his waist.

"So what are those," Harry asked, pointing to the pieces of metal that remained on the knight's shoulders.

It was Hermione who answered.

"Those are spaulders, which is simply the name of the piece of armor that covers the shoulder. My guess from what he's told us would be that Sir Firecam merely likes to keep those out when he recalls the rest of the armor."

"Right you are, Miss Hermione," said the knight.

The young witch turned to see Harry staring at her incredulously.

"What?"

"How did you know that?" asked the surprised wizard.

"I do read you know," responded Hermione. "I figured that with a living, breathing knight walking around in our midst, I should at least know a little bit about medieval arms and armor."

"A little bit?" asked Harry somewhat skeptically, "like what?"

"Well, the styling of the armor was a bit foreign to traditional European armors, and thus would be hard to date. But Sir Firecam was clearly wearing a gorget, curiass, plackart, faulds, the aforementioned spaulders, rerebraces, cowters, vambraces, gauntlets…"

"Okay, okay, I get it," Harry interrupted her before she went through and named every piece of armor.

"Well you asked."

"Seems a bit bulky ter me," said Hagrid. "Doesn' all that get in yer way when yeh're fightin'?"

"You might think so," answered Keldorn, "but plate mail armor is not as restrictive as it appears. And this suit in particular is special. While the rest does not compare with the Gorget of St. Jorg, my armor is blessed and enchanted so that my movements never become restricted or otherwise burdened, either by the armor it self or by anything else for that matter."

"Blimey."

"So, you mean to say that you simply cannot be tied up while wearing your armor?" asked Dumbledore.

"Yes, the blessings upon my armor would not allow it," answered Keldorn.

"Would you be willing to demonstrate that as well?" Dumbledore asked as a follow up question.

"I don't see why not. To arms!" he said and once again Keldorn was covered in his armor.

Dumbledore rose from the table and pointed his wand at the knight.

"Incarcerous!" exclaimed the old wizard. Thick ropes shot out of the Headmaster's wand and quickly wrapped themselves around the knight. However, just as quickly, the ropes seemed to lose their hold and slid down his body to pool at his feet.

"Remarkable," said Dumbledore.

"Please, Sir Firecam," pleaded Hermione, "you have to let me inspect it at some point. Just think, if I could replicate the enchantment on your gorget alone!"

"You're in for it now," commented Harry.

"I'm sure we'll find time for that at some point, my dear," replied the knight.

"But not today," interrupted McGonagall. "You three must be leaving for King's Cross soon or you'll miss your Portkey."

"Sir Firecam's coming too?" asked Harry.

"Of course," answered the Deputy Headmistress, "it's tradition for new faculty to ride the train with the students."

"Right you are, Madam," Keldorn said before he once again dismissed his armor. "Come, Mr. Potter, Miss Granger, we don't want to be late."

And with that they left the Great Hall to find their Portkey.

OoOoO

OoOoO

They arrived at the platform rather early. Harry and Hermione left Keldorn and went to find a compartment near the rear of the train. They were soon joined by Neville Longbottom who quietly greeted them and took a seat across from where Harry and Hermione were sitting side by side. They were interrupted a few minutes later by a light tap on their door. Harry stood up and opened the door to find Luna standing there wearing a strange pair of eyeglasses that had wide, colorful frames.

"Hello Harry Potter," greeted the odd girl.

"Err… Hi Luna," Harry managed to say despite being a bit taken aback by the witch's choice in eyewear.

"Would it be alright if I joined you for the ride? All of the other compartments are full of Nargles. And while I normally don't mind riding with the Nargles, I'd rather ride with you. I would imagine that you, Hermione and Neville will probably make for better conversation. Although the debate I had with the Nargles on the train ride at the end of last term about Japanese whaling boats was quite fascinating. Did you know that the Nargles have been in a blood feud with the whales for the past three hundred years?"

"No," replied Harry, somewhat befuddled.

"Oh, well, that's alright. I suppose I can sit somewhere else."

"What? Err… wait!" Harry said as Luna made to turn and leave. "I meant that I didn't know that about the Nargles. Of course you can sit with us, Luna." Harry waved his arm toward the seats for emphasis.

"Oh. Thank you, Harry," Luna said as she entered the compartment and sat next to Neville. "Hello Neville, hello Hermione."

"Hi Luna," Hermione responded while Neville simply waved in greeting.

"How is your 'project' going, Hermione?"

Harry found that question to be odd in the way that Luna gave the word 'project' special emphasis and even used her fingers to make quotation marks in the air.

"It's fine, Luna." Hermione said through clenched teeth while glaring at the other girl. Something was definitely up with those two.

"Oh goody," replied the blonde, "I was worried about having to avoid lots of sexual tension. That always gives me a runny nose."

"Luna!" exclaimed Hermione while giving the younger girl a pointed look.

"What? It really does do awful things to my sinuses."

"Excuse us," said Hermione as she jumped to her feet and then dragged Luna out of the compartment with her.

"What was that about?" asked Harry.

"No idea," responded Neville with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Girls."

The two witches returned a few minutes later along with Ron and Ginny in tow.

"Wow," said Harry, "The Weasleys made it here with time to spare? It's only quarter to eleven!"

"Har har, Mr. Chosen One," responded Ron as he moved to sit on the other side of Hermione. Ginny sat next to Luna and Neville. "I'll have you know that without the twins messing things up, we Weasleys can be quite well organized. If only Ginny would take less then an hour in the bathroom, we could have been here ages ago."

"Shut it, Ron," replied his younger sister, "it's not my fault that you don't care what you look like when you leave the house. Some of us don't want to look like an utter slob all the time."

"Oi! I don't look like a slob. Do I, Hermione?"

Hermione seemed a bit surprised by the question.

"Well…" she began, "you could have put on a shirt that wasn't so wrinkled… and you might have shaved this morning… and you could have combed your hair…"

"Oi!" said Ron, getting defensive, "Harry's always got messed up hair! Why don't you pick on him?"

"See, Ron? You're a slob," said Ginny.

"Yes, well, Harry's hair is different," replied Hermione.

"Hey, don't bring me into this," Harry tried to interject.

"How is his hair being messy any different from mine?" asked Ron somewhat indignantly.

"Harry's messy hair is supposedly very cute," answered Luna. "It apparently makes you want to just run your fingers through it. Or so I'm told."

"Luna!" shouted Hermione.

"Oh, right. Sorry," replied the blonde sheepishly.

Ginny seemed to find Luna's comment and Hermione's reaction to be highly amusing as she was grinning ear to ear. Neville, on the other hand, seemed to be at a complete loss as to what was going on.

"Well fine then," said Ron with an affronted air, "I'll just have to find a girl who knows a real, red-blooded man when she sees one."

"Good luck with that. And let me know if you see any real, red-blooded men while you're out looking." said Ginny.

Ron just glared at his sister before turning to Harry.

"Can you believe these birds? Us wizards gotta stick together! Right, Harry? Neville?"

"Like I said," replied Harry, "don't drag me into this mess."

"Don't look at me," added Neville.

"Cowards, the lot of you," grumbled Ron. That comment was enough to make the compartment erupt into laughter.

OoOoO

OoOoO

The train arrived at Hogsmead Station without any incidents except for the argument that broke out between the two Weasleys when Ginny announced that she was going to go look for Dean Thomas. The argument was settled by Ginny threatening her brother with her wand and Ron surprisingly being smart enough to back down. After she left though, Ron kept grumbling about having a "chat" with "that git Thomas."

Ginny had yet to return from finding Dean, so the four Gryffindors and their Ravenclaw add-on took a carriage to the castle without her.

Hermione sat next to Harry at the Gryffindor table while Ron sat across from them. The tall, lanky redhead was really starting to get worked up about his missing sister when Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil pushed Neville out of the way and plopped down next to the youngest male Weasley.

"Hello, Ron, how was your summer?" began Lavender.

After shooting a questioning glance at Harry, Ron responded.

"Fine. How was yours, Lavender?"

"Oh, it was just wonderful!" replied the blonde witch. "My family and I went to the French Riviera and I spent quite a bit of time working on my tan. How do you think I look?" Lavender struck a bit of a pose for Ron.

"Err… you look fine, Lav," replied Ron.

"Thanks, Ron!" Lavender beamed, "Maybe next time we can take you along with us, I could've used your help to rub lotion on my back."

Harry was distracted from the interaction across the table by Hermione's elbow jabbing him in the side. He glanced over to her to see Hermione giving him a significant look, almost as if to say, see, I told you so.

Harry's mind, however, soon found itself elsewhere. Thoughts of Lavender on the beach soon changed into thoughts of Hermione on the beach, asking him to rub lotion on her back.

Whoa, thought Harry, where did that come from? Well, I know where that came from, but really? Hermione?

His thoughts were interrupted however by Professor McGonagall who brought out the Sorting Hat and began to call the first years forward.

As the first years went to their new houses and everyone else applauded politely, Harry found his thoughts back on his best friend. He was of course aware of the fact that his best friend was a girl, but now he was looking at her in a new light. The little comments that McGonagall kept making about inappropriate behavior during the summer now came back to him and made Harry take a moment to consider his best friend.

She's not as pretty as Cho, he thought, but she's not bad either. Besides, Cho was a disaster, and I should probably try to avoid girls like her anyways. Hermione's definitely grown up a bit; no longer the skinny little first year that used to yell at us to stay out of trouble. Her hair's still crazy, but she wouldn't really be the same without it, and she does have some nice 'assets.' Harry surreptitiously glanced at Hermione's backside. Does this mean I fancy Hermione?

Harry's thoughts about Hermione continued on and off throughout the feast and were only interrupted once the food disappeared and the Headmaster stood to speak.

"Good evening one and all," began Dumbledore, "and welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Before we all go off to retire for the evening, I'd like to introduce some new faces to you. First is Professor Horace Slughorn," here the Headmaster gestured to a short, fat, bald man with a thick, walrus-like mustache. "Professor Slughorn has agreed to return to us to take up teaching Potions once again, as our dear Professor Snape will be your instructor for Defense Against the Dark Arts this year." Snape's name was met with several groans from the student body.

"And this is Sir Keldorn Firecam," Dumbledore continued as he gestured to the old knight who stood in acknowledgement. "Sir Firecam is here to offer a new elective course this year, Riding and Magical Mounts. Please join me in welcoming our new instructors."

Everyone applauded and then listened to the normal announcements about forbidden items and the start of classes.

As the students began leaving, Harry was stopped by a tap on his shoulder. It was Keldorn.

"Mr. Potter," began the knight, "who is that Slytherin boy with blond hair?"

Harry turned to where Keldorn was facing and saw Draco Malfoy.

"You mean Malfoy? The one with the pointed face and is constantly flanked by the two gorillas?"

"Yes. I suppose that is him. Although I don't think the juvenile insults to the boy's companions are necessary."

Harry shrugged his shoulders at the knight's admonishment.

"Well, anyways, that's Draco Malfoy. Son of Death Eater Lucius Malfoy who, I am glad to hear, is now rotting in Azkaban for his role in the Department of Mysteries."

"The son of a Death Eater, you say?"

"Yep. Why all the questions about Malfoy?"

Keldorn looked intently at Harry for a moment before replying.

"There is a sense of malice about the boy. He has some intention in mind that is of the utmost evil."

Harry sobered immediately upon hearing that and looked back at Malfoy as he left the Great Hall.

"How could you tell?" the young wizard asked.

"All paladins can sense the evil intentions in those around them. It is one of the blessings bestowed upon us by the Light. The malice in Mr. Malfoy, while not the strongest I have felt by far, is still very significant."

"So what do we do?"

"You, my boy, need not do anything. I will handle this. I merely needed a name to match with the face."

Harry quickly stamped down on the surge of anger that tried to surface. After all, Keldorn was supposedly a consecrated warrior of the Light, sworn to fight evil; if Harry could trust anyone to take care of Malfoy it was him.

The two began walking toward the doors of the Great Hall when Keldorn brought up another topic.

"Have you given any thought to continuing your lessons in swordsmanship during the school year?"

Harry thought for a moment before responding.

"Well yes, I'd like to continue," answered Harry, "but I obviously won't have as much time for it, what with classes and Quidditch and all."

"Ah yes, Quidditch. I'm quite interested to finally see this game of yours that Minerva keeps going on about. I take it you're one of the players then?"

That got Harry thinking,

Since when is Sir Firecam on a first name basis with the Deputy Headmistress? But he caught himself after a moment's consideration. Well, perhaps some thoughts are best left unexplored.

"Yeah, I'm actually the captain of the Gryffindor team this year. But back to the sword lessons, I've also thought of asking one of my friends to join. I thought it would be nice to have someone closer to my skill level to spar against."

Keldorn nodded. "We'll work something out for once or twice a week then. Let me know who you are thinking of asking to join before approaching them with the idea. I will observe them and then give you permission to approach them if I am satisfied. I do not teach just anyone how to handle a deadly weapon."

"This entire school is built around children learning to handle deadly weapons," Harry countered while holding up his wand as evidence.

"I suppose you are right in that."

Harry and Keldorn separated in the Entrance Hall and bid each other goodnight. As he made his way up to Gryffindor Tower, Harry's mind was full of questions. Who should he look for to join his sword lessons with Keldorn? What exactly was Malfoy up to this time? And perhaps most importantly to the teenager, why exactly was he thinking about Hermione Granger in such a less than platonic way?

OoOoO

AN: Oh the joys of teenaged romance! I am ever so glad that I left that drama behind long ago. It's such a confusing maze to navigate, and poor Harry Potter and friends are stuck as eternal teenagers in the realms of fanfiction, doomed to hormonal outbursts and misunderstandings for all time.

My thanks to everyone who left a review.

Please leave a review and let me know what you think on your way out, even if it's just to say that you're enjoying the story or that you think it's terrible.

And thanks for reading!