Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Knight of the Radiant Heart by Raven3182
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Knight of the Radiant Heart

Raven3182

Disclaimer: Harry Potter is owned by J.K. Rowling and her various corporate partners. Keldorn Firecam is owned by BioWare, Atari, or whoever it is that owns the rights to Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn these days, although I have taken several liberties with his character. I own nothing, and I am making no profit by my little ventures into the shadowy realms of fanfiction. I do so purely for enjoyment. I would, however, like to thank JKR for allowing us all to play in her sandbox.

OoOoO

Harry Potter and the Knight of the Radiant Heart

XVI

"Oh bugger!" exclaimed Hermione as she frantically cast her eyes around at the swarm of huge Acromantulas that surrounded her and Harry. "Bugger me! Bugger, bugger, bugger!"

Harry only barely registered Hermione's uncharacteristic use of foul language as his mind raced for an idea that could get them out of their deadly predicament. Buckbeak and Aristotle, the two hippogriffs that they had ridden into the forest to rescue Daphne, were loudly screeching at the spiders and continually rearing up on their hind legs, flailing their sharp front claws at the beasts.

So far, it seemed like the spiders were hesitant to approach, but Harry knew it was only a matter of time. He knew he needed to do something fast or they were dead meat.

"Oh screw it! Reducto!" Harry shouted as he began to cast into the mass of swarming Acromantulas. "Confringo! Displodo! Reducto!" He desperately hoped that his Basting and Exploding Hexes would drive the spiders back a bit and buy them some time.

A few of his spells struck the spiders, who shrieked in agony as their exoskeletons were blasted apart and thick, green gunk splattered onto the ground. Most of his hexes missed, however, and instead slammed into the ground, tearing up great fountains of dirt and stones with a thunderous roar.

Harry's spellcasting seemed to stir Hermione into action.

"Harry!" she shouted, "Fire! Use fire spells to hold them back! Incendio!"

A jet of crimson flame shot out of Hermione's wand and washed over the ground in front of a group of spiders. The Acromantulas screamed in rage, and fled from the burning flames. Harry switched to Hermione's more effective tactic and together they held the spiders at bay with a wall of fire cast in a wide circle around them.

"We need to make an exit!" Harry shouted. "We won't be able to hold them off for long!"

Just then one of the largest spiders in the swarm leaped down from the trees and landed with a crash in between Harry and Hermione. Hermione's hippogriff bucked wildly, and threw her from the saddle. The young witch screamed as she flew through the air and landed with a crunch on the ground. Harry looked over to see the monster moving to loom over his defenseless friend.

"HERMIONE!"

Harry aimed his wand and let lose with a Blasting Curse.

"Reducto!"

The spell, however, only bounced off the spider's thick shell and didn't even divert its attention from the girl on the ground.

At a loss for what else to do, Harry spurred Buckbeak forward and charged headlong at the beast with a scream of rage. Harry's cry was joined by a scream from Buckbeak as they crashed into the side of the giant spider. The hippogriff used its sharp beak and claws to tear at the creature, while Harry cast spell after useless spell at its unyielding armor.

With a shake of her head, Hermione began to come to, only to screamed in terror when she saw the Acromantula looming above her. She scrambled out from underneath it just as Buckbeak lowered his head and slammed the beast aside. The spider turned, and readied itself for another attack while Harry cast his glance around the clearing. The ring of fire was dying down and soon the swarm would be upon them.

With a sudden movement, the spider shot a burst of wet, sticky webbing at Buckbeak's legs. The hippogriff toppled over with a shrill cry and threw Harry to the forest floor, the impact driving the wind out of his lungs. He thought he heard Hermione shout something, but the pain in his chest and the blood pounding in his head made it difficult to tell.

Harry blinked to clear his vision, only to look up to see the arachnid standing over him. Thick, green venom dripped from its mandibles and its clustered eyes seemed to glint with malice. It opened its jaws wide to deliver a killing strike, but Harry thrust his wand up and with all his might sent a Blasting Curse directly into the beast's mouth.

"Confringo!"

The spider's head exploded in a shower of blood and gore, covering Harry as its massive body collapsed to the ground.

"Harry!" Hermione shouted as she frantically pulled him to his feet. "Oh, Merlin, Harry!"

"I'm alright," he said as he took in their situation. The spiders were still held back by the ring of fire, but that was dying down with every passing second. Things were not looking good.

"Where's my wand?!" Hermione desperately asked. "I lost it when Aristotle threw me."

Harry sent a Cutting Curse at the webbing that was wrapped around Buckbeak's legs, freeing the creature before looking for his companion's wand.

"Accio Hermione's wand!"

The short length of vine wood flew into his hand and he quickly tossed it to Hermione.

Aristotle still had Daphne slung across his back while he and Buckbeak paced back and forth.

Harry and Hermione stood back to back as the ring of fire faltered.

"Harry," said the distressed girl as she groped for his hand, "I'm glad I'm with you."

The flames went out and the spiders were just about to surge forward when a bright light and a loud cry pierced the darkness of the forest. Harry whipped his head to the side to see Keldorn charging through the spiders on the back of a powerful horse. His armor sparkled and his blade shone like the sun as he swung it about him, cutting a wide swath of fury through the mass of arachnids. The paladin's sword blazed with light so bright that Harry had to shield his eyes. The spiders, used to living in the perpetual darkness of the forest and fearful of such wondrous light, retreated before the onslaught of the knight's brilliant weapon.

"Get back on your mounts!" commanded the knight as he cleaved through the head of a spider that was too slow to flee.

Harry quickly obeyed and helped Hermione into the saddle before climbing onto Buckbeak.

"Ride for the castle!" shouted Keldorn, "Ride!"

The two students didn't need to be told twice and spurred their hippogriffs through the opening that Keldorn had created as fast as they could possibly go.

Harry looked over his shoulder to see the knight cut down one last, humongous arachnid before turning and following his two students. The spiders scattered and dispersed, fleeing from the wrath of the armored warrior.

A few moments later, the two hippogriffs and their passengers burst through the tree line, followed shortly thereafter by Keldorn and his horse.

Harry pulled back on his reigns to slow his mount only to be rebuked by Keldorn as he rode up beside them.

"Don't stop. Go straight to the infirmary."

Harry didn't respond, he simply obeyed the command of the man who saved both his and Hermione's lives once again.

OoOoO

OoOoO

Later, still covered in dirt and gore, Harry and Hermione sat side by side on one of the beds in the hospital wing as the school matron bustled about the room. Hermione was shivering, and Harry doubted that it had anything to do with the cold or with the hairline fracture in her lower left leg. After a moment of hesitation from fear that she would just push him away, he decided to put his arm around her shoulders. Far from pushing him away, Hermione leaned into him, seeming to seek shelter and protection from the outside world as her shivers continued unabated. Madam Pomfrey was attending to Daphne first, as the girl's injuries were likely much more serious, but she promised to look them over soon.

Hermione reached up with her right hand and grabbed the front of Harry's shirt in her fist. Harry looked down at her face, buried in his shoulder as her shivers turned into sobs. He wrapped his arms around her protectively as she cried.

"I thought we were going to die," Hermione whispered once her tears stopped.

"I know," Harry quietly responded, "so did I."

"When that spider was standing over me, looking down at me with those horrible eyes," Hermione continued, "I thought that was it. I thought that was the end. I can't believe that you actually charged into it like that. You saved my life."

"I think it was Sir Firecam that saved both our lives," Harry responded.

"True, but I'd still be dead if it weren't for you. I can't believe you attacked it like that."

"What was I supposed to do?"

"I don't know, Harry. Merlin knows I'm not angry or upset that you did it. I just can't believe it. I can't believe that you would throw yourself at a monster like that for me."

Harry looked into Hermione's red, puffy eyes. Her face was blotchy from crying and there were tear tracks running down her cheeks.

"I'd do anything for you."

Hermione didn't respond, she simply planted a long kiss on his cheek, wrapped him in a tight hug, and refused to let go.

A fair amount of time passed before the door banged open while Madam Pomfrey was tending to the two Gryffindors. Professor McGonagall strode into the room followed by Sir Firecam who had sheathed his sword, but was still wearing his armor. The Deputy Headmistress was obviously in a towering rage as she approached her two students.

"Whit waur ye bairns thinkin'?!" McGonagall asked, her speech reverting to her thick Scottish Brogue in her anger. "Ye coods hae bin killed runnin' aff loch 'at!"

Hermione seemed to shrink, burrowing into Harry's side under the withering gaze of her favorite professor. But Harry met the professor's eyes straight on. He wasn't really sure how to react, given that he could barely understand a word she was saying.

"Ne'er in aw mah years hae Ah seen sic' a reckless display! I'll hae ye tois in detention scrubbin' floors until th' moon falls frae abune!"

"I think that's enough for now, Minerva," said Dumbledore as he calmly strode into the room. "Besides, I doubt that young Harry and Hermione are well versed in Scottish."

McGonagall glared at the Headmaster, but ceased her yelling as she visibly tried to calm herself down.

"Now," continued Dumbledore, "I understand you two ventured into the forest and had a run in with some of the wildlife there."

Hermione shivered while Harry responded.

"Well, that's certainly one way of putting it."

Dumbledore smiled.

"Yes, I find that putting things lightly sometimes helps to keep the darker thoughts at bay," he replied.

"It was a very brave thing that these two did," said Keldorn. "Reckless and foolish maybe, but brave nonetheless. I think it is safe to say that without their actions, Miss Greengrass would no longer be with us."

"Indeed," agreed Dumbledore. "I think some sort of reward is in order. Don't you agree, Minerva?"

"Ye cannae be serioos!" responded the Deputy Headmistress, the strength of her accent making it obvious for everyone to know that she was still furious. "They need tae be punished fur their actions!"

"I think that their experience in the forest is punishment enough," said Dumbledore. "I highly doubt that either Mister Potter or Miss Granger has any desire to venture back into those woods any time soon." Both Harry and Hermione quickly shook their heads. "Besides, they did save Miss Greengrass' life at the risk of their own. I think one hundred points to Gryffindor for each of them as well as an award for special services to the school to be presented at a future date should suffice. What do you say, Harry, Hermione?"

The two students just looked at their professors in shock. Hermione eventually nodded her head.

"Well, that's settled then," said Dumbledore. "Minerva, please arrange things for the award. Now then, let's check in with Miss Greengrass and then I think I could use a nice cup of tea. Would you like to join me, Minerva?"

With that, the two professors left to see Daphne on the other side of the infirmary. Keldorn remained, however.

"That really was a brave thing you did today," said the old knight. "Especially since I understand that that two of you have been in the Forbidden Forest before and know firsthand of the dangers therein."

Harry just shrugged his shoulders while Hermione maintained her hold on him.

"Thank you for saving us," said Harry.

"I merely did my duty," Keldorn responded. "You are both students under my charge. I could have done no less. You two, however, were under no such obligation to risk your lives for a classmate. That you did so makes me proud to say that I know you. Well done. May the Light shine on you always."

After Keldorn had left and Pomfrey had healed Hermione's leg and generally finished with them, the matron dismissed the two Gryffindors.

"But before you leave, Miss Greengrass has asked to speak with you," Madam Pomfrey said as she gestured to one of the beds that was surrounded by privacy screens.

Harry and Hermione approached the bed and entered the private area. Daphne was lying on the bed, her legs covered by the thin, white sheet. Her head and torso were wrapped in thick bandages and there were several open vials sitting on the nightstand. Daphne stared at the two Gryffindors shyly for a moment before speaking.

"Pomfrey said that you two saved my life."

"Err… yeah." Harry replied with his usual elegance.

"I don't really remember what happened," Daphne continued, "one minute I was riding the hippogriff and the next it just took off and then I was falling into the trees. That's all I can remember. She said that you saved me from the Acromantulas?"

"Yeah."

"Why?" the injured girl asked.

"What?" asked Harry in confusion.

"I thought you two hated all the Slytherins."

"Oh don't be silly," replied Hermione, "Just because Malfoy is a pompous brat doesn't mean we hate all of you."

"Besides," added Harry, "I couldn't even tell who it was that fell into the forest. I would have gone after anyone really."

"You're such a Gryffindor," said Daphne with an attempt at a smile, "and I mean that as a compliment. Thank you for saving my life."

"You're welcome," said Harry.

"Come on, Harry," said Hermione, "Let's let Daphne rest a bit."

They left the hospital wing and slowly wandered back toward their dormitories. Harry was really looking forward to a shower.

"I can't believe it," said Harry.

"What, that we're still alive?" asked Hermione.

"No, not that. I can't believe that your response to being surrounded by Acromantulas was to say, 'Bugger me! Bugger, bugger, bugger!'" Harry said with a teasing smile.

"Oh, be quiet you."

"I mean, I never took you for that kind of girl."

"Prat."

OoOoO

OoOoO

Harry and Hermione were presented with their award for special services to the school on the following Friday during dinner. Harry was rather embarrassed to be paraded in front of the school. It wasn't like he put much thought into the process or decided that he should act heroically, he just saw someone in danger and he reacted. The fact that he had to fight off a colony of Acromantulas was beside the point.

Nevertheless, the Headmaster called Harry and Hermione forward during the evening meal and had them stand in front of the assembled student body while he gave a short and rather heavily edited version of the events that transpired in the Forbidden Forest. The giant spiders were mentioned, but the fact that if it wasn't for the timely arrival of Sir Firecam the school would be currently planning three funerals was glossed over. After he was finished, Dumbledore presented them both with a bronze plaque. Harry quickly read what was inscribed on it.

Awarded to

HARRY JAMES POTTER

for

SPECIAL SERVICES TO HOGWARTS SCHOOL

OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

for

Courageously saving the life of a fellow student

at the risk of his own.

Harry glanced over at Hermione's to note that it said exactly the same thing, except for her name in place of his of course. He was happy that he wasn't being singled out for the award and that Hermione was being given the recognition that she deserved as well. After acknowledging the polite applause of their peers, with surprising enthusiasm coming from the Slytherin table, they handed the awards back to the Headmaster so that they could be added to the school's trophy case.

It was the next morning at breakfast that things got interesting. Harry was just digging into his fry-up when the owl post arrived. A few moments later Hermione grabbed his elbow to get his attention.

"Look, Harry!" she exclaimed. "We made the paper!"

Harry groaned.

"Just what I needed, another article in the Prophet," he responded. "What did I do this time? Did I go 'round the bend again?"

"Oh honestly, Harry. It's about the award from yesterday."

"Great. All I need is another reason for people to stare at me." Nevertheless, Harry leaned over to read the article along with Hermione.

HARRY POTTER FIGHTS OFF SWARM OF SPIDERS!

CHOSEN ONE AND GIRLFRIEND SAVE SLYTHERIN STUDENT'S LIFE!

By Rita Skeeter

Witnesses report that Harry Potter, known to most as the Boy Who Lived, or more recently as the Chosen One, has recently been given an award for special services to Hogwarts. He and his current love-interest, one Hermione Granger rode into the Forbidden Forest to save the life of their classmate Daphne Greengrass, a sixth year student from Slytherin house.

We here at the Prophet are told that Greengrass was unconscious and helpless as a swarm of at least one hundred gigantic Acromantulas descended upon her after an accident that left her stranded in the forest. All hope was not lost, however, as the Gryffindor Duo literally rode onto the scene on the backs of two hippogriffs, casting spells left and right to drive back the monstrous creatures. Potter and Granger fought side by side and back to back and managed to force the creatures to retreat.

The question that most readers will want to know is, of course, just who is Hermione Granger - the witch who fought along side our hero? Attentive readers will recall that Granger has been romantically connected with Potter before. Two years ago during the Tri-Wizard Tournament speculation was rampant that Granger was at the heart of a love-triangle that pitted Potter against international Quidditch star and fellow Tri-Wizard Champion Viktor Krum in a battle for her affections. It seems to this reporter that the battle for the lovely lady has been definitively won by Potter as Krum is nowhere to be seen. Witnesses report, however, that Granger is constantly at Potter's side.

Has Potter finally picked a young lady at Hogwarts to shower his affections upon? Is Granger to be the heroine that will fight alongside our hero? Is she to be the Chosen One's chosen one? How exactly did she win the heart of the most eligible wizard in Britain? What does this mean for all the other witches in the world vying for a chance to become Mrs. Potter? Readers want to know.

For more on Potter's battle in the Forbidden Forest, see page 3.

For a list of dangerous creatures known to live in the Forbidden Forest, see page 5.

For a reprinting of articles detailing the Potter-Granger-Krum love triangle, see pages 8-11.

For speculation about how Granger won Potter's heart, see pages 12-15.

For speculation on past, current and potential future love-interests for Potter, see pages 16-27.

By the time Harry and Hermione had finished the article, they were both bright red. Hermione was also sputtering in indignation.

"But! How? Oh… that woman! I knew I never should have let her out of that jar!" she exclaimed.

"If it wasn't Skeeter, it would just be someone else," commented Harry.

"Speculation on my love life!" Hermione continued her rant, heedless of the many faces that were now turned to scrutinize the wizarding world's newest celebrity couple. "Chosen One's chosen one indeed! How dare she?!"

Harry felt bad for Hermione. While he was used to all the media attention to a certain extent, the experience of having your life detailed in the paper for all to see was something that he would have shielded Hermione from if he could. Even though she wasn't exactly new to the experience as she did get a taste of it back in their fourth year.

Harry also felt a bit guilty because he actually liked reading the speculation about him being paired up romantically with Hermione. He wasn't exactly glad that it was printed in bold across the front page of magical Britain's leading newspaper, but it did give Harry a little, warm feeling nonetheless.

"Hello Harry Potter. Hello Hermione."

Harry was brought out of his musings and Hermione from her rant by the arrival of Luna Lovegood.

"I'm glad to see that Operation Quidditch is going so well for you, Hermione," the blonde continued. "Or was that Operation Spinach? Which one was it again? Were you the one that was trying to crossbreed Crups with Snorkacks, or was that daddy? Perhaps you could help with that anyways, because we never really could figure out what to do with all that spinach…"

The attention of the Gryffindor table was momentarily diverted from Harry and Hermione's love life due to the confusion delivered by the fifth year Ravenclaw.

"Anyways," Luna continued, "daddy wrote an article about you two. I thought you'd like to read it."

With that, she placed a fresh copy of The Quibbler on the table. With some trepidation, Harry and Hermione scanned the front page for any mention of their names. They skimmed over headlines such as Snorkacks Break Speed Limit, What is Scrimgeour Doing with All Those Chickens? and even I Spent the Night with Fungus-Man: Turns Out He is Highly Overrated before becoming even more confused.

"Err… Luna," said Harry, "where exactly is the article about us?"

"Oh. Don't you want to read about Fungus-Man first? It really is a lovely exposé."

"Maybe later."

"Okay. Your article is on page twenty three."

Hermione quickly turned the pages to find the article in question.

HARRY POTTER SAVED FROM BLOOD RITUAL BY ACROMANTULAS!

By Xenophilius Lovegood

Sources close to Hogwarts report that Harry Potter was almost used as a human sacrifice in a rare, magical blood ritual. The ritual's performer and well-know girl genius is none other than Hermione the Granger. (How exactly one goes about 'granging' is a topic that will be examined at length in our next issue.)

Sources report that the blood of the last Potter was to be used to rig the academic rankings at Hogwarts, placing Draco Malfoy in the top position. Thankfully, the ritual was interrupted by a passing colony of Acromantulas. The gigantic spiders, which are most well known for their choreography, were able to convince the Granger of the error of her ways. Thus tragedy has once again been averted.

Other sources say that the interrupted ritual then became a wedding ceremony by default (as interrupted rituals are wont to do) and that Potter and the Granger are now married. The veracity of this statement is yet to be confirmed.

For more ways to unintentionally get married, see page 17.

For more on my night with Fungus-Man, see page XXXIV.

For reactions from the Acromantula colony, see page rhombus.

"Well that certainly wasn't what I was expecting," said Hermione.

"I think I like The Quibbler's version better," added Harry.

OoOoO

AN: McGonagall's Scottish accent was written with the aid of a rather amusing online generator that can be found at www dot whoohoo dot co dot uk. Go check it out; it's a lot of fun!

What did you think of the articles? I added them on a whim, mainly because the chapter was too short, and I didn't want to start the next major scene just yet. So they're kind of just there as (hopefully) amusing filler. Let me know if you think they're too terrible to stay.

Thanks to everyone who favorited or put an alert on the story; I'm happy to know you're enjoying it.

Special thanks to those who left a review; you're all wonderful!

And thanks for reading!