Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ailments of the Heart by RedKorss
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ailments of the Heart

RedKorss

15th of June 2010

Headmistress Office

"What do you mean there's still no sign of her or them? Its been a month!" Neville shouted in frustration as he was here for the fifth time this week. "We've looked through the castle. Even using the map Ronald had we could find none of them." McGonagall said. "And what about their known holdings?" Neville asked. "The Potter's and The Black's may have a few houses and manor's here and there. But its not infinite." Neville added. "That may indeed be Longbottom. But, there's also the Granger's. They may not be magical, but they do have a reasonable amount of wealth. It may be that they chose to not interact with the magical world anymore." McGonagall answered.

"I do believe that is impossible to know Minerva." Dumbledore's voice boomed behind her. "And why is that Headmaster?" Neville asked. "Because, each use of that Ritual, forges a new time line. The Unspeakable's have spent at least two centuries trying to make what that ritual does possible through easier means. Although that would be impossible. Honestly I'm amazed that they managed to get it to 36 hours in those earlier version from when Hermione used it. And now its nearly a week. But Magic requires sacrifices to make things possible sometimes. Now we need to pray that their new time, will be as good if not better than I had ever hoped for." Dumbledore said as he sat back down to the desk in his painting.
"I do, believe its best for all of you to move on." Dumbledore said as he leaned forward on the desk.

W-O-W

28th of May 1994

By this point Danielle have become a sort of errand girl for the Headmaster and Deputy Headmistress. Delivering notes to professor's and prefect's but she still clung closely to Harry and Hermione when she could.

Now is not such a moment. Harry and Hermione sat in the classroom in the unused hallway again. "I do know that we've seen his hideout somewhere." Hermione said tiredly. "You've said that before Hermione. It still does not make sense to me that we don't know this. I do remember spells we've learned up to seventh year and beyond. But something as simple as where Sirius hideout is. Isn't there." Harry said as he scratched his head furiously. "hmm. I think we should try to look at a new memory." Hermione said. It was true, they had yet to look into a new one. She herself had not done so yet out of fear of what she could learn. It could break her psyche knowing what had once been. But they had sent themselves essentially back in time to inhabit their previous bodies.

Harry opened his book and found the next page. An illustration of a feather was the only thing above the next mirror. It seemed so much like Fawkes tail feather Harry thought as he began to touch the mirror.

W-O-W

The Headmaster's office

McGonagall sat in a chair by the fire. Harry noted as he looked around. The office was different than it used to be. It was more practical and without the flair that Dumbledore had. "Hello Harry." Dumbledore's voice said. Harry looked around until he noticed the portrait behind the headmaster's desk. "You may be wondering why I'm here. But there's nothing to worry about. It's something you may fix. Be careful though, I was quite stubborn and set in my way then. I think It's been my time in this frame that have mellowed me." Dumbledore said.

"Why am I your first meeting with someone from your old future? Probably because I felt that I should be the one to warn you of something. You may still have a Horcrux in your scar Harry. We've never known for sure if it is the soul of the living object it would attach itself to. Or the object itself. I'd ask you to slice your arm with the Sword of Gryffindor while Fawkes is present. He does have healing tear's." The old man said as he smiled down to a spot in front of the desk. "I may attempt to stop you. Even use the Imperius Curse on you. But do it before the Trial Harry. Do it before Voldemort uses your blood." Dumbledore said somberly. "If you do, we may yet succeed." Dumbledore said before the scene faded and he was back in his chair.

W-O-W

"What did you see?" Hermione asked worriedly as Harry's face furrowed. "Dumbledore talked from his portrait." Harry said. "And?" Hermione inquired. "And he thinks I may be a Horcrux. Whatever that is." Harry said briefly. "He said that if I removed it, we could increase our chances. That we should do it before the task. Well that leaves almost a year." Harry said as his face begun to relax again. "Well, I suppose that it's my turn." Hermione said as she opened her's.

A few moment's after she touched it she came too again. "What was your's then?" Harry asked. "That was strange. It was an antique house. Dumbledore was there and said that I and Ron should communicate with you that summer. But it was as if a part was cut out. As if it was meant to counteract what he would be telling me to do." Hermione said. "Yeah, Dumbledore said that he was too stubborn for his own good in my memory." Harry said as he slipped the diary back into his robe."Oh no. She's coming again." Hermione said as they heard footsteps coming from the hallway. "How does she know where we are?" Harry asked as he moved to hide themselves beneath the cloak.

As the cloak had landed over Hermione Danielle entered the room. "Why do you always want to play hide and seek?" Danielle asked as she looked around the room before she settled on the sofa. "It's not very good to hide under if it's so shiny you know." Danielle said as if she were amused. Harry took the cloak from over them. "How do you see us?" Hermione asked wonderingly as it have passed so many before. "Easy. Its almost like liquid silver." Dani said as she took the armchair. "A cloak that have fooled Dumbledore can not fool someone who haven't even started first year?" Hermione asked truly puzzled. "He can't?" Dani asked as she looked them over. "But he knows so much." Dani added as she sat back in the arm chair. "That is what worries me." Harry said as he looked over at Hermione. After the first time Dani had found them they had looked up memory charm's. Turns out Hermione had already mastered the basic and most effective one in her previous life. They did not like to do so. But they had in the sparse two week's removed almost half of her time in those week's so that their hidden space would remain hidden. This time was no different as soon as they were out into the used hallway's and a bit from it Hermione would removed everything from that moment till she saw the entrance to the hidden hallway.

W-O-W

29th of May- 1994

Harry walked up to the headmasters office shortly after classes finished to try to do what the older Dumbledore wanted. A few guesses as to what type of candy the headmaster fancied at the moment gave him access.

The room was quiet when Harry walked in. Fawkes was on his pedestal nearby the table. "Hello Fawks." Harry said as he approached the phoenix. The familiar gave a soothing cry as it looked over Harry. "Do you know where he keeps the sword Fawk's?" Harry asked not entirely sure if the phoenix really understood him or not. But it could hardly hurt. The phoenix looked up the stairs. And there the sword laid, next to the Sorting Hat. Harry walked up the stairs and picked up the sword. While he walked down the stairs with it. The door swung shut. In front of him stood Dumbledore. "What are you doing with that Sword Harry?" Dumbledore asked with a commanding voice. "What you told me to Headmaster." Harry said as he rolled up his sleeve. "I can not let you do that Harry. This is for the Greater Good." Dumbledore said as he pulled out his wand and sent a silent Imperius Curse on Harry.

Like a puppet Harry walked back up the stairs and laid the sword back down. On his way back down Harry rolled his sleeve back. As Harry walked out the door to the office he forgot about the incident as if he had never entered and had never intended to do so. It was first when he met up with Hermione after Quidditch practice that he remembered. "I was supposed to go to Dumbledore's Office and cut myself with Gryffindor's sword?" Harry asked as the two walked up the stairs towards Gryffindor tower. "Yes, Harry. The Memory Diaries?" Hermione said as she showcased him hers. "Yes, What about them?" Harry asked.

"You don't remember? Dumbledore from this future told you to destroy a Horcrux you may have on you. And the only way he could think of for you to do this was with the sword." Hermione said "And I think you said something about needing Fawkes nearby." Hermione said as they entered a shortcut bypassing floor 4 and 5. "There's something familiar about that." Harry said as they exited out onto the sixth floor. "Well, there's no need worrying about that now. We have to practice for our exam's." Hermione said as they got to the seventh floor. And such the last two day's of May were spent. Practicing ahead of the last minute scram. Even if it was a tad later than Hermione usually began going over her notes and re reading the material's. But such almost have to be expected when things take a turn for the extremely strange one day.

W-O-W

6th of June 1994

"Ron!" Hermione moaned. She and Harry looked at each other, then followed at a sprint; it was impossible to run full out under the cloak; they pulled it off and it streamed behind them like a banner as they hurled after Ron; they could hear his feet thundering along ahead and his shout at Crookshanks.
They almost tripped over Ron as they skidded to a halt in front of him. He was sprawled on the ground, but Scabbers was back in his pocket; He had both hands held tight over the quivering lump. "Ron- come on. back under the cloak- Dumbledore- the Minister- They'll be coming back in a minute-" Hermione panted. But before they could cover themselves again, before they could even catch their breath, they heard the soft pounding of gigantic paws...

Something was bounding towards them, quiet like a shadow- an enormous, pale eyed, black dog. Harry reached for his wand, but it was too late- the dog had made an enormous leap and the front paws hit him on the chest; he keeled over backwards in a whirl of hair; he felt its hot breath, saw inch-long teeth.

But the force of its leap had carried it too far; it rolled off him. Dazed, feeling as though his ribs were broken, Harry tried to stand up, his thought a mess as scenes flooded his mind. That dog was following him to King's Cross station while an unseen figure said "Padfoot are you mad!?" Another scene was the dog standing on a gate out in the outskirts of Hogsmead, he followed it and suddenly the dog turned into a man. The next scene depicts him turning into the dog again while he growled at something. Next scene was the man coming out from behind an old ruined door.


The final scene was from earlier that year. Harry had unintentionally called the Knight's bus when a dog on the other side of the road had barked at him.

As Harry got to his feet he saw the dog or a man skidd around as he angled himself for a new attack. Ron was on his feet. As the dog sprang back towards them he pushed Harry aside; the dog's jaw's fastened instead around Ron's outstretched arm. Harry lunged forward, but he did not catch anything. The dog dragged Ron away as easily as though he were a rag doll.
Then out of nowhere, something hit Harry so hard across the face he was knocked off his feet again. He heard Hermione shriek with pain and fall too. Harry quickly searched for his wand while he blinked blood out of his eyes.

"Lumos!" Harry whispered when he caught it. The wand light showed him the trunk of a thick tree; they had chased Scabbers into the shadow of the Whomping Willow and its branches were creaking as though in a high wind, whipping backward and forward to stop them going closer.
And there, at the base of the trunk, was the dog, dragging Ron backward into a large gap in the roots- Ron was fighting furiously, but his head and torso was slipping out of sight.
"Ron! Sirious!?" Harry shouted, trying to follow, but a heavy branch whipped lethally through the air and he was forced backward again.

All they could see now was one of Ron's legs, which he had hooked around a root in an effort to stop the dog from pulling him underground- but a horrible crack cut the air like a gunshot; Ron's leg was now broken, and a moment later, his foot had vanished from sight as well.

"Harry- we've got to go for help-" Hermione gasped as she looked at a cut she had gotten across her shoulder. "That dog's Sirius. He must have a reason to go after Ron!" Harry yelled as he cleared the blood that had seeped out from his wound again. "Harry- we'll never get through there without help-" Hermione said as another branch whipped down at them, twigs clenched like knuckles.


"If he can, then we can." Harry panted as he darted here and there, trying to find a way through the vicious, swishing branches, but he could not get an inch closer to the tree roots without being in range of the tree's blows.

"Oh; help, help, please" Hermione whispered frantically as she danced around on the spot. Crookshanks darted forward. He slithered between the battering branches like a snake and places his front paws upon a knot on the trunk.


Abruptly, as though the tree had been turned to stone, it stopped moving. Not as much as a leaf twitched or shook. "Crookshanks!" Hermione whispered uncertainly. She now grasped Harry's arm painfully hard. "How did he know-" Hermione begun "He's friends with Sirius. I've seen them together. Come on." Harry said somberly as wheel's started to churn around his head. What is the connection between the dog and Crookshanks.

They hurried over to the trunk, but before they could reach the gap in the roots, Crookshanks had slid into it with a flick of his bottlebrush tail. Harry went next; he crawled forward, head first, and slid down an earthy slope to the bottom of a very low tunnel. Crookshanks was a little way along, his eyes flashing in the light from Harry's wand. Seconds later, Hermione slithered down besides him. "Where's Ron?" She whispered. "This way." Harry said as he set off, bent backed, after Crookshanks.

"Where does this tunnel come out?" Hermione asked breathlessly from behind him. "I don't know... It's marked on the Marauder's Map but Fred and George said no one's ever gotten into it... It goes off the edge of the map, but it looked like it was heading for Hogsmeade..." Harry said as they moved through the passageway.

W-O-W


Second run of the late evening of 6th of June

"Harry, there's something I don't understand... Why didn't the dementors get Sirius? I remember them coming, and then I think I passed out... there was so many of them..." Harry sat down too. He explained what he'd seen; how, as the nearest dementor had lowered its mouth to Harry's, a large silver something had come galloping across the lake and forced the dementors to retreat.
Hermione's mouth was slightly open by the time Harry had finished. "But was that it?" "There's only one thing it could have been, to make the dementors go. A real Patronus. A powerful one." Said Harry. "But who counjured it?" Harry didn't say anything. He was thinking back to the person he'd seen on the other bank of the lake. He knew who he thought it had been... but how could it have been? "Didn't you see what they looked like?" Said Hermione eagerly. "Was it one of the teachers?" "No, he wasn't a teacher." Said Harry.

"But it must have been a really powerful wizard, to drive all those dementors away... If the Patronus was shining so brightly, didn't it light him up? Couldn't you see-?"
"Yeah, I saw him," said Harry slowly. "But... maybe I imagined it... I wasn't thinking straight... I passed out right afterward..." "Who did you think it was?" "I think-" Harry swallowed, knowing that even with the strange event three weeks ago still barely made sense to them, this would sound at least as strange. "I think it was my dad."

Harry glanced up at Hermione and saw that her mouth was fully open now. She was gazing him with a mixture of alarm and pity. "Harry, you're dad's- well- dead." She said quietly. "I know that." said Harry quickly.


"You think you saw his ghost?" "I don't know... no... he looked solid..."

"But then-"

"Maybe I was seeing things, but... from what I could see... it looked like him... I've got pictures of him..." Hermione was still looking at him as though worried about his sanity. "I know it sounds crazy, but with the events three weeks ago. The memory diary. I'm not so sure we truly knows what the limits are to magic." Said Harry. He turned to look at Buckbeak, who was digging his beak into the ground, apparently searching for worms. But he wasn't really watching Bucbeak. He thought about his father and about his father's three oldest friends. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs.

"Hermione, Sirius asked me if I wanted to move in with him... Before." Harry said, still turned away to look at Buckbeak. "That was nice of him." She said. "Yeah, I suppose it was. My reason for bringing it up is that, well. I liked the idea of having time to do the Summer work with some time to spare..." Said Harry. "Harry Potter cares about his homework now does he?" Hermione asked half heartily as she stole a glance towards him, taking a short moment off of watching the Willow. "Well, you were the one who convinced me I should take Arithmancy and Runes. You should take some of the blame." Harry said with a laugh. "Well, the thing I'm trying to come to is, do you think you could ask your parents if I could stay with you this summer?" Harry asked nervously.

"What?" Hermione asked when what he had asked came through to her. "Something wrong?" Harry asked nervously. "No, just... Just wondering what brought this about." Hermione said more calmly as she shifted so that she could have one eye on the Willow and the other at Harry. "Well Hermione, as I said, You convinced me to take up Arithmancy and Runes while dropping Divination. Still wondering how I made it through those two subject though, especially as I came in two weeks before the exams began." He said as he turned to look at Hermione. "You must've had a good teacher." She said with a small smile "Well, also that we should probably work together on those diaries of ours." Harry said. "You're probably right." Hermione said. "But I'll have to ask my parent's though, they're nice, but I'm not so sure they like the idea of a boy living there for a summer. Especially as they tend to work all but two weeks of the summer." Hermione told him.

"I'll be nice." Harry said as he caught onto what she meant. "I'll send them a letter tomorrow then, could I borrow Hedwig?" Hermione said as she shifted to be three quarters of the way towards the Willow.

W-O-W


2nd of July

Harry had woken to tapping on his window. Hedwig had gotten back. Harry quickly got out of bed and opened the window. Hedwig landed on the desk and allowed Harry to take the letter before she went to her cage.

Harry, I've talked with my parent's yesterday and they've more or less agreed with you staying here. Mostly because they think it will be easier for two of us to take care of Danielle. Not too sure why I ended up taking care of her though. But anyway's on the fourth me and my cousin will come over and get you, it'll probably be quite early.

See you then, Hermione

PS. Danielle wants her pillow back :)

Harry laughed as he finished the letter. Yeah, it had been odd how they had given Danielle to be taken care of by Hermione. She had not even been given to a half blood family, something that would surely have been something that would be normal. But two day's until Hermione came and got him away from the Dursley's was much better than he could think of.

W-O-W


Headmaster's office- night to third of July

McGonagall and Pomfrey is seated in front of Dumbledore's desk. "Are you certain Miss Granger will be capable of handling the young girl?" McGonagall asked the older man. "Certainly, she is quite gifted you know." Dumbledore said. "And how will we trick them into thinking she's been with her parents for a week or two towards the end of the summer?" Pomfrey asked. "Well, it would be easy enough to do so. A few transfiguration spells should make it quite possible." Dumbledore replied.

"Well, when would we take her then?" McGonagall asked. "I'd say somewhere between the fifteenth and the twentieth of August. That is all I know, for now. Let's just see what this time traveling girl is up to. And traveling without her memories to boot." He said in a final reply.

In one swift motion Dumbledore had risen to his feet and taken his wand in hand, and fired off in quick succession Obliviate on both the women in front of him. He quickly scoured their minds for their knowledge of her parentage, and replaced it with them trying to figure it out. It was for the greater good that Harry never knew about this.

Author's Notes

I tried to keep the copying of JK Rowling's texts to a minimum. This was part of what took this chapter's writing such a long time, I ended up rewriting almost everything from when they left Hagrid's till they left the Shrieking Shack, with such minimal changes I had to scrap it.

Yes, nothing BIG, have changed yet. But, this is just the beginning of it. Next chapter should be easier as I have nothing I need to base it off of or around. And beginning of next year should make various changes appear.