Unofficial Portkey Archive

One Night Long by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

One Night Long

Heaven

A/N: Thanks to ALL you guys who reviewed in my first chapter! I'm really excited to know you're all enjoying this story so far. There's more romancey stuff in this chapter, but no snogging, not yet hehehe

Anyways… please remember this: this story is AU you know, ALTERNATE UNIVERSE! Some of you neglected my author's note before and you were all confused in your reviews!

Again, thanks to research_dome from portkey for her awesome brit picking, and now… ON WITH THE FIC! ;)

"Free from what? A dragon?" a familiar voice came from behind her. "Or a certain nosy reporter turned editor that we all know and tremendously dislike?" Harry's green eyes were twinkling as he laughed.

"Are you following me?" Hermione asked, not really annoyed.

"Maybe," Harry returned, coming up to her. "Actually, I have a question to ask you."

"What's that?" Hermione shifted her bag.

"This is completely crazy," Harry took her by the arm and began to lead her down the street. "But if I don't ask this I'll always wonder what might have happened."

"The suspense is killing me," Hermione joked, but she felt a tinge of red appear on her cheeks.

"I…" Harry paused for a moment, trying to figure out the best way to ask his question. "I was thinking when I was walking over here… I've really enjoyed talking to you today. And I don't really want that to end."

"I've enjoyed talking with you too," Hermione replied.

Harry grinned. "Well, here's what I was thinking. Tonight, instead of you taking a hotel room, we just spend the entire night together."

Hermione felt her jaw go slack, and the tinge of red was now a full flush. "What?" she asked.

"Well here, just hear me out," Harry stopped and put both his hands on her shoulders. "What if, somewhere down the line, you get married, and one day you look at your husband and wonder what you missed out on in life by settling with him." Harry grinned again. "In a sense of speaking, I'm doing you a huge favour by asking you this!"

Hermione looked down. "I don't know," she mumbled but she was secretly pleased.

"How about this- we just go walk around London, and if you find me boring or psychotic… you can go get your hotel room and you'll never have to see me again." He grinned once more, hoping she would say yes. Harry had never been so intrigued by a woman before and he wanted things to keep going.

Hermione bit her lower lip. He certainly had a point, and goodness knows she wanted to get to know him better. "Okay," she heard herself agree, suddenly feeling impulsive.

"Really?" he asked, his eyes growing bright.

"Yeah," she said, her lips curving out in a smile. "I mean, like you said… one never knows what they might be missing out on… and I don't want this all to end either," she felt shy momentarily.

"Great," Harry said, relieved. "What station are you leaving from tomorrow?"

"Victoria, at half past nine," she answered.

"How about we go get some Muggle pounds, drop our bags off in a locker at the station, and then head out into the city?" Harry asked.

"That sounds good to me," Hermione replied. "I'd like to change out of these clothes too."

"Okay," Harry was eager. He reached down and took her bag as they walked back up the street together. They had no problems exchanging Wizard Galleons for Muggle pounds and were soon tucked away in a taxi speeding towards Victoria Station.

"What do you want to do tonight?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know yet," Harry answered sheepishly, running his hand through his hair. "I didn't really… plan this out."

"I've never been this impulsive," Hermione confessed.

"I've always been able to come up with something," Harry replied. "I promise, this won't be a dull evening,"

"I'm holding you to that now," Hermione replied as they pulled up to Victoria. She disappeared into the women's room while Harry went looking for a locker. Hermione changed into jeans and a natural coloured Irish knit jumper. She let her hair out of the bun and pulled it back at the sides, letting her locks fall down her back. Taking a quick look at herself in the mirror, she let out a deep breath and hurried out of the restroom.

Harry struggled to fit both bags into the locker; it was one of those times when magic would have been most useful except for the fact they were in an extremely Muggle area. "All…most…got it!" he said triumphantly as both bags slid in.

"Very impressive," Hermione clapped her hands wryly.

"Thank you, thank you." Harry took a mock bow. "Shall we leave, my lady?" he grinned at her and was pleased to see her blush.

Once they had bought passes to use the Underground, they found some seats near the end of the train and settled down for the ride. "I have an idea," Harry said.

"What's that?" Hermione asked.

"A game," he replied, grinning. "We ask each other questions, any questions, and the other has to answer them honestly. I mean, we hardly know one another…"

"Okay," Hermione agreed. "Maybe I can find out something sordid…" she joked and they both laughed.

"Me first," Harry sat back. "Hmmm… who and where was your first kiss?"

Hermione smiled. "My first kiss was in my backyard at age twelve with the neighbour boy… we both wanted to know what it was like so we… just sort of kissed in my backyard." She playfully punched him in the shoulder as he began to laugh. "We were experimenting!" she said in her own defence.

"I can see you doing that," he was still laughing minutes later.

"Bloody hell," Hermione muttered, turning red. "Am I that bad?"

"No, I was just kidding!" Harry stopped chortling and looked apologetic. "I'm really sorry…" he put his hand on her shoulder.

"It's all right," Hermione gave him a wicked smile. "My turn…"

"I know that sort of look," Harry pretended to be worried.

"Tell me something about yourself… that no one knows." Hermione grinned coyly.

"Something about me that no one knows?" Harry asked. "That's easy!"

"It is?" Hermione seemed slightly dismayed.

"Yup," Harry leaned closer to her. "There's something I really, really like and I've never told anyone about it…"

"Why not?" she asked.

"Because then I'd be lying about this answer," he made a face and she snickered. "I really… really… like…." He brought his face closer and closer to hers with each word. "Bananas."

At first Hermione thought she'd heard him wrong… after all, having a handsome man like Harry sit so close to her it was no wonder her mind was thinking of things other than their game. "Bananas?" she finally repeated.

"Yup, I love bananas," Harry seemed quite pleased with himself.

"And… no one knows this?" Hermione asked in disbelief.

"Well now you do, but before this I never told anyone." Harry answered.

"I don't believe you," Hermione countered.

"Well I'm sorry, I can't help that," Harry brought his arms up over his head and stretched, allowing his shirt to ride up and expose his abs. "It's my turn,"

"No, it's not because you're not being honest!" Hermione exclaimed. "And you were the one who came up with the rules!"

"Hermione," Harry grinned. "I swear to you, on my Firebolt broom, the best one in the world, that I am not lying to you." He took her hand and lifted it to his lips, kissing her fingers softly.

"Well… um…" Hermione was at a loss for words. "I guess you can get away with it once…" she conceded.

Harry nodded, biting his lower lip to keep from grinning again. "Okay," he thought for a few minutes. "Have you ever gone skinny dipping?"

"What?" Hermione turned extremely red. Harry started to laugh as she stammered.

"Come on, haven't you ever gone skinny dipping?" Harry teased.

"No!" she managed to utter. "Honestly!"

"Why not?" Harry leaned back, putting his arm across the back of her seat.

"Because," Hermione seemed insulted. "I don't DO things like that!"

"Oh it's not as bad as you might think," Harry replied. "I've only done it once and it was quite enjoyable."

"With one of your many girlfriends I assume," Hermione shot back, pushing a piece of hair from her eyes.

"Maybe," Harry sent a smirk her way. "Jealous?"

"Hardly!" Hermione scoffed. She turned and was looking away from Harry when she felt him lean close.

"Maybe we should try it tonight," his breath tickled her ear as she sat up straight, her breathing becoming shallow. 'Why did Harry have such an effect on her?' she wondered. It wasn't the fame, Hermione knew that. She wasn't a fickle type of girl at all…

"What do you say?" Harry persisted, still leaning close to her. He was only half joking, he'd only known this woman for a few hours yet he felt a closeness to her that he'd never gotten from another female before.

"Harry…" her face was so red now she looked like she had a fever. "I… I don't…"

"I was kidding," Harry backed away. "I'm sorry; I didn't know you'd take me that seriously…"

"It's all right," Hermione said. "Um… my turn?" she tried to change the subject.

"Sure," Harry replied.

"Okay," she thought for a moment, and then turned to him. "Have you ever dated one of your fans, and if you did, what was the worst date with her?"

"Direct, aren't you?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Hermione replied smugly. "Answer it, HONESTLY…"

"Fine," Harry said. "I'll have you know that this is extremely embarrassing…"

"Ooh!" Hermione turned so that she was fully facing him. "Exactly what I was hoping for!"

He aimed a playful sneer at her. "Yes, I dated a fan. Once, and only once-and I'll never do it again!"

"Was it that bad?" Hermione asked.

"You have no idea!" Harry said. "All right, her name was Veronica, she came to our matches AND our practices, and she would almost follow me into the locker room. The guys on the team urged me to take her out to get her off our backs, so I agreed."

"Go on," Hermione urged when he looked like he was going to stop.

"Well, we went out that same day I asked her. It was obvious from the start, at least to me, that it was going to be a one time thing. All she wanted to know about was my fame… she didn't care about me at all." Harry paused for a moment. "She got me to go to a dance club, and once we got there she pulled me on the dance floor and showed me off like a trophy. I finally broke away and went to the loo, and when I came back Veronica was bragging to all her friends there that she would be shagging me that evening." Hermione gasped and he gave her a grim smile. "I took off right then and there, not caring what she'd say if she came back to the field."

"That's awful," Hermione replied sympathetically.

"Well, it gets worse- she did show up at the field. She actually had the nerve to scream at me that I ditched her and how humiliated she was when I never came back from the bathroom." Harry ran a hand through his hair. "I told her that I'd overheard her and that I no longer wanted her anywhere near me."

"What did she do?" Hermione asked curiously.

"She cursed me," Harry exclaimed. "She jinxed my broom before a match and almost cost us the game." He shook his head ruefully. "I was nearly thrown off and killed… after that I decided to never go there again."

"Good idea," Hermione replied, sitting back. "You'll be happy to know then that I'm not a fan of yours."

"I appreciate that more than you'll ever know," Harry replied, snickering. "Anyways, where are we going? We've been riding on this thing for a half hour now."

"I don't know," Hermione got up and looked at the diagram above the seats, trying to figure out what station they were coming to. Harry stood up as well, coming right up next to her.

"I think we're here," Harry said, purposefully putting his hand on her waist as the train pitched them back and forth unsteadily.

"I think so too," Hermione fell back against him as the car lurched once more. "Sorry," she murmured, her face red.

"It's all right," Harry said. "I don't mind, but maybe next time I can fall on you," he said in her ear.

"Are you flirting with me, Harry?" she turned and realised her face was mere inches from his.

"I've been flirting with you all day and you're just now noticing?" Harry grinned back.

"Honestly," Hermione replied, her face turning an interesting shade of reddish purple.

"What, you don't like it?" Harry asked as the Underground screeched to a stop and they slipped through the doors.

"I didn't say that," Hermione replied, trying to be coy. If Harry wanted to play this game… she could certainly attempt to play it too.

"So you are enjoying it?" Harry turned and began to walk backwards so he could face her.

"I didn't say that either," she said pertly as she looked him straight in the eye.

Harry stopped in the middle of the crowded station and Hermione walked straight into him. "Bumping into me again, is this becoming a habit of yours?"

"You seem to like it enough," Hermione replied boldly. She smiled up as Harry grinned down at her, his face inching closer. His lips were about to brush hers when she pulled back. "We should really get outside, I need some fresh air." Hermione smirked at him and turned on her heel.

"What…" Harry stood with his jaw open and began to follow her up the stairs and out of the station. The Tower Bridge loomed in front of them; the amazing structure seemed to touch the sky.

"I love this bridge," Hermione said as they walked alongside the Thames River. "My great- great grandfather helped build it."

"Really?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Hermione replied. "I mean, I just think it's so remarkable that he helped in the building of such a landmark." She leaned on the railing and let the cool air blow her hair out behind her.

Harry came up next to her, touching her shoulder with his. "It's too late to go in there," he jerked his head in the direction of the Tower of London.

"That's all right. You're being spared a history lesson," Hermione teased.

Harry smiled at her. "You want to get a drink instead?" he nodded at a pub on the other side of the bridge.

"Sure," Hermione agreed as they crossed the bridge to the small restaurant/bar on the other side. She sat down while Harry went to the bar and came back with two pints of bitter. "Thank you."

"Welcome," Harry replied, sliding into the booth across from her. "So, what school did you go to anyway? I'm sure if you went to Hogwarts I would have seen you."

"Beauxbatons," Hermione replied. "I lived near Surrey until I was nine, then we moved to France until I was nineteen."

"But you were raised a Muggle right?" Harry asked, sipping his beer.

"Yes," Hermione replied. "No one was more surprised than I was to get my letter saying I was a witch."

"That's because you weren't there when I got my letter," Harry replied. He told her of how his aunt and uncle tried to keep his ancestry from him, until the Hogwarts groundskeeper Hagrid had come to retrieve him.

"I can't believe your aunt and uncle would keep such a thing from you!" Hermione exclaimed furiously.

"They hate any and all things magical, and that includes me. I couldn't wait to get out of there," Harry replied.

"I don't blame you," Hermione said. "Honestly! Muggles shouldn't be afraid of magic!"

"They're worse than Muggles, they're…" Harry shook his head. "I don't have a bad enough word to describe what I think of them."

Hermione nodded pensively. "You don't seem worse the wear for it."

Harry shrugged. "I had some good friends at Hogwarts, and the headmaster and I were close… I got through everything just fine." Hermione knew what he was referring to- his battles with Voldemort.

"That's good," she said simply, not wanting to spend their night rehashing things best left in the past.

They were both silent for awhile as they drank their pints. Hermione casually tried to study Harry across the booth.

His hair was impossibly messy, spiky pieces sticking out in every direction, and she thought that was cute. It gave him a boyish quality which was only complimented by his bright green eyes and lopsided grin. He had round black frames that slipped down his nose constantly, and wore a grey jumper over blue jeans.

All in all, Hermione had to admit it made for an extremely handsome and charming man.

"What?" Harry was looking back at her now, amusement written clear across his face.

"What?" Hermione jumped and spilled some of her drink.

"You were staring at me," Harry pointed out.

"I was not," Hermione replied quickly. "I was… staring… off into space!"

"Right," Harry snorted.

"Well what if I was?" Hermione asked.

"I wasn't going to complain," Harry said. "You can stare all you want."

"Maybe I will then," Hermione lifted her chin and gave him a pointed look. Harry's eyes met hers and they stared at one another.

"I'll have you know that I'm a champion at this game," Hermione said, not breaking eye contact.

"That's nice," Harry replied mildly. "I've never played it. Never had such gorgeous eyes to look into before."

Hermione blushed but didn't look away. "I thought you said you weren't charming."

Harry grinned and Hermione had to fight her own smile. "I may have to rethink that comment, won't I?" He raised his pint and began to sip, when the bitter went straight down the wrong pipe.

Hermione jumped over to the other side of the table as Harry coughed violently. She patted his back hard. "Are you all right?" she asked anxiously as he tried to breathe normally.

"I will be," He wheezed, his eyes watering. Subconsciously, Hermione began to rub his back in small, comforting circles as he wiped at his eyes and slid his glasses back on.

"Are you sure?" she asked, peering up at his emerald orbs.

"Yeah," Harry coughed once more. "Thanks," he muttered.

Hermione slid over, but didn't go back to her side of the booth. "Maybe I should sit over here just in case," she teased, pulling her pint over in front of her.

"Ha," Harry said, sending her a smirk. "You're so clever, Hermione."

"So I've been told. And I believe I have just won yet another staring contest." She grinned smugly.

"But I choked, I couldn't help it!" Harry claimed. "I demand a rematch!"

"Maybe later," Hermione sipped at her drink again. "For now I'd like to revel in the fact that the famous Harry Potter has lost to a woman. Cheers!" she held up her glass.

"Well then I suppose I should ask what you want for your prize." Harry grinned.