Unofficial Portkey Archive

One Night Long by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

One Night Long

Heaven

A/N: Okay, well… SURPRISE!!! I got enough requests for an epilogue so I decided to do one for you guys… I hope you like it, cause this is really and truly the end of this story. Gotta move on to the others!

R/R, and I hope you enjoy it!!

***Six Months Later***

Hermione Granger gripped her suitcase in her hand as she used her key to open the door to their flat. "Hallo?" she called out as she set her bags down in the hallway.

"I'm in here!" a voice replied, and Hermione smiled as she went into the kitchen. "You're back!" Harry Potter grinned as he saw his girlfriend for the first time in a week.

"I missed you," Hermione put her arms around his neck as his went around her waist. "But Japan is beautiful; I think you'd like it there." She had been overseas to promote her novel which had just received its first printing in Japanese.

"Perhaps," Harry nuzzled her neck before pulling back to kiss her. "But I'm just glad you're back."

"Me too," Hermione pressed her lips to his again as his hand moved up her back to tangle in her long hair. "So what did you do while I was away?"

"Practised," Harry replied. He shook his head. "If you can believe it, Oliver's been even more fanatical since we're going to be in the Cup soon."

"I'll bet," Hermione smiled. "What did you make?" she nodded towards the stove.

"Just some soup," He replied. "Want a bowl?"

"No thanks," Hermione replied, breaking away from him and sitting down. Harry got himself some and sat down across from her.

"So how did it go?" he asked.

"Oh, brilliant," Hermione replied, pushing some hair out of her eyes. "It's beyond me why this novel has done so well, it really has."

"Come on, don't sell yourself short," Harry replied. "You did a great job- you're a borne writer."

Hermione smiled at him. "Thanks Harry," She shook her head as he gulped down his soup in a matter of seconds.

"What?" he asked, setting the empty bowl back on the table.

"Nothing," she replied. "I'm just so tired, I feel as if I haven't slept in a week."

"Miranda probably had you going from dawn until dusk," Harry smirked, thinking of his girlfriend's editor and good friend.

"How did you guess?" Hermione asked dryly. "Come on, take me to bed."

Harry grinned, leaving his bowl on the table as he pulled her up into his arms, honeymoon style. Carrying her down to the bedroom, he kicked the door open with his foot and brought her to the bed.

When they had reunited six months previously, Harry had immediately decided to move in with her up in Glasgow, seeing as how Hermione had not wanted to leave her job. It was easier for him, he had explained, because they went to different stadiums and he could just floo to practice. Harry loved the flat they now shared in the city, and he loved being with Hermione more than anything else.

"What are you thinking about?" Hermione asked, her fingers moving into the hairs at his nape.

"You, like always," Harry dropped her gently on the bed. "I missed you an awful lot,"

"Me too," Hermione pulled him down on top of her for a kiss. She began to tug up on his jumper almost immediately.

"Hey I thought you were tired!" Harry said, helping pull his clothes off.

"I just got a second wind," Hermione replied mischievously.

*** *** ***

"What's wrong?" Harry asked as he and Hermione made their way through the stands.

"Nothing," Hermione replied quickly. She rubbed her hands together trying to get the slick feel of sweat to go away.

"Are you nervous about the game?" Harry stopped and pulled her over by the wall.

"No, I know you guys will win," Hermione said.

"So what's wrong then?" he asked again, wrapping his arms around her shoulders.

"Nothing!" Hermione exclaimed. "I'm just looking forward to the game is all!"

"I have to get to the locker room soon," he leaned forward to give her a kiss.

"Walk me to the box first," Hermione replied, her lips still against his.

"All right," Harry kissed her fully one more time as he took up her hand. They walked to the special box that was set aside for the Quidditch team's significant others and children. There were already people inside when the two of them reached it.

"Good luck," Hermione hugged him hard and gave him a rather passionate open mouthed kiss.

"Thanks," Harry breathed when she finally pulled away. He pushed open the door for her and was surprised to see a familiar head in one of the seats already.

"Cho!" He exclaimed. "I didn't think I'd see you here until the game started."

"I had to nab a good seat," she smiled back at him. Her dark eyes moved to Hermione and they brightened. "Hermione!" she hugged the other woman.

"How are you Cho?" Hermione asked, pleased to see their friend.

"Good, good." Cho replied. "Merlin, I am so excited about this game, Harry, you had better win!"

"We've got a pretty good chance I'd say. Speaking of which, I have to go- Wood will have my head if I'm late today." Harry said.

"Okay," Hermione hugged him. "Good luck," she kissed him. "I love you."

"Love you too," Harry kissed her again quickly. He turned to Cho and gave her a quick hug. "See you both after the game!" he waved and disappeared.

"So Hermione," Cho said as they sat down in two of the front seats. "Has Harry popped the question yet?"

Hermione held her left hand up. "Do you see a ring?"

Cho shook her head. "Seems like he'd have taken care of that by now."

Hermione shrugged. "It's not that important… I mean, I'd like to be married, but it doesn't have to happen now. We're both still establishing our careers and things are already so hectic."

"But you'd like to be engaged at least wouldn't you?" Cho replied, a sneaky look in her eye.

Hermione sighed. "You know me too well already."

"I always fancied myself being perceptive," Cho said dryly as a few other seats around them filled up.

Hermione rolled her eyes playfully. "I guess I would. It'd be nice to have a ring on the finger to shoo away all those girls that badger him every time we're out somewhere in the wizarding world. I don't get bothered half as much when we're out in Muggle Glasgow or London."

"He's a pretty famous guy," Cho replied, her eyes on the field as the players started to come out.

"Yeah," Hermione said, her attention riveted to the black haired star seeker. "I'm not worried, I mean, I know he loves me. And I love him."

The game started and Hermione didn't notice the tiny smile on Cho's face.

*** *** ***

"That was brilliant Harry, positively brilliant!" Hermione was still excited. His team had won by a landslide and they had just left the celebration.

Harry grinned down at her as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "Thanks," he replied, kissing the side of her head.

"It was so spectacular, the way you pulled off that dive, and I was so scared you were going to go right into the ground!" Hermione went on. "And ooh, that smirk you had on your face when you went flying back up…" Harry laughed at her enthusiasm.

"I'll have to win more World Cups if it makes you so excited," he stopped and stepped in front of her, turning to face her.

"Oh Harry I'm just so proud," Hermione's eyes softened as he looked down at her.

He ran his hand over her long hair and tipped her face back. Pressing his lips on hers, they kissed passionately for a few minutes.

"So where are we going?" Hermione asked, snuggling against him as they walked on.

"It's a surprise," Harry answered.

"A surprise?" Hermione echoed. "It's one in the morning Harry!"

"I know!" Harry grinned. "That's part of the surprise!" he refused to say any more as they walked along the streets of London, stopping in front of a rather familiar structure.

"Harry what are we doing by the London Eye you hated it last time we went up there!" Hermione was confused.

He grinned. "Come on, maybe it'll be better this time."

Hermione narrowed her eyes in suspicion but followed. She was surprised to see an attendant still at the gate. "Harry what is going on?"

"Come on," he said, laughing. "I do believe we have a ticket to ride sir?" he asked the man.

"Yes sir you do," he bowed. Harry took his girlfriend's hand and pulled her into one of the cars. The attendant shut the door and they started up.

"Okay, now do you care to tell me what we're doing?" Hermione asked.

"Maybe," Harry grinned. "I once heard that the view of the city from this thing is quite amazing."

Hermione smiled, moving over to the window as they rose up higher. "Yes, quite." she replied. Harry came behind her, moving his arms around her waist.

"Just think, the last time we were on our way up one of these, we hadn't even kissed yet," he replied, nudging her ear.

Hermione turned to look at him. "We've sure taken care of that now haven't we?" she giggled softly. "Are you still afraid of heights though?" one corner of her mouth turned up.

Harry made a face at her. "Not as bad as before," he replied, letting go of her to sit down.

"So are you planning on filling me in anytime soon?" Hermione asked, turning around, her back to the window.

Harry smiled but said nothing; he just patted the seat next to him. She sat down, laying her head on his shoulder. They rode the rest of the way to the top in silence.

"Uh oh!" Harry said in mock concern as their car stopped at the very top. "We seem to be stuck!"

"We seem to be?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Well what are we going to do up here while we wait?"

Hermione got off the seat. "Here's one idea," she said as she tilted her head back to kiss him.

Harry pulled her close as he dipped his tongue through her lips, kissing her as deeply as he could. He almost got lost in Hermione and nearly forgot the reason he had brought her up there in the first place.

"Mmm, wait." Harry found the strength to push her away.

"What?" Hermione leaned forward and brushed her mouth over his again.

"I do have a reason I brought you here," Harry replied.

"I knew it," Hermione replied, but she was laughing. "The place where you finally admitted you lied about the bananas." Harry snickered.

"Well," he drew her close to him as they looked out the windows. "Besides the bananas… I think I started falling in love with you while we were up here."

Hermione grinned. "That goes for two of us."

"I wanted to bring you back here…" Harry took a deep breath. "I was thinking… maybe… um…" he swallowed. "I was thinking it might be good to go to the uh… the next step in our relationship."

Hermione felt her heartbeat speed up as Harry stepped away from her and knelt down on one knee, his hand going into his pocket to pull out a tiny box.

"Will you marry me Hermione?" he asked, flipping the box open with his index finger and holding it out to her.

Hermione stared at him, her jaw gone slack. "Yes," her voice was first a whisper but she cleared her throat. "Yes, yes Harry I will," she smiled as her eyes filled with happy tears.

Harry grinned with obvious relief as he got up. "Here," he took the ring from the box and slid it onto her finger. "When… you know… when we actually get married, there is a matching band for that," he said.

"Oh Harry," Hermione breathed as two tears trickled down her cheeks. "This is beautiful, it really is…" An oval diamond set in the middle of the gold band, smaller diamonds on each side were carved into it.

"I'm glad you like it," Hermione looked up directly into Harry's eyes. She saw in that moment just how much he loved her and it was almost overwhelming. Choking back a small sob, she threw herself forward into his arms, making stagger back a step.

"I can't wait to be your wife," she said, hugging him as tight as she could. Harry buried his face in her hair and held her close as the Eye started again, slowly bringing them back down.

"Harry," Hermione said as they bid the attendant good bye and thank you for the ride. "Did you tell Cho that you were going to propose tonight or something?"

"What?" Harry looked at her. "Why, did she say something?"

"Right before the game started," Hermione replied, holding her left hand out in the moonlight so she could admire the ring again.

"That…" Harry didn't finish his sentence. "She wasn't supposed to say anything!"

"Don't worry," Hermione stopped in front of him. "I was completely surprised tonight Harry, I had no idea you were going to do this."

Harry relaxed. "All right," he replied. Hermione smiled at him and they resumed walking.

"Can we have a quick engagement?" Hermione asked suddenly as they were nearing The Leaky Cauldron.

"What?" Harry asked, surprised.

"Well… I don't want a huge wedding, and the sooner we get married the less media attention we'll get…" Hermione mused.

"Good point," Harry replied. They passed by a travel agency and in the window there was a large poster size print of the Acropolis. He remembered Hermione talking about how much she loved it there and an idea flashed into his head.

"How soon can you find a dress and all that?" he asked.

Hermione shrugged. "A few days, most likely, why?"

Harry grinned. "How about we shoot for two weeks from now?"

"I could manage that," Hermione answered. "Especially if it's just going to be the two of us."

"All right," Harry said, excited. "Two weeks," he repeated.

*** *** ***

"Are you ready?" Harry asked, coming into their bedroom. It was their wedding day, and Hermione was finishing her packing.

"Yes, even though you won't tell me where we're going!" Hermione replied, but she smiled.

"Well…" Harry sat down on the edge of the bed. "What is your most favourite place in the entire world?"

"Greece," Hermione answered immediately.

"And if you could choose anyplace to be married, anywhere, where would it be?" Harry asked.

"Athens," Hermione answered.

"Guess where we're going to be married?" Harry grinned widely.

Hermione stared at him. "You… you mean…"

Harry chuckled and pulled two plane tickets out of his pocket. "Wedding for two, on top of the Acropolis… tonight."

Hermione stared at him a moment long and then a shrill scream erupted from her throat as she launched herself at him, throwing her body on top of his so he was lying flat on his back.

"Harry are you serious?" she asked. "We're really going to get married at the Acropolis?"

"Yup," Harry answered. He laughed as Hermione pressed her lips to his fervently, kissing him over and over again.

"Have I ever told you that you are absolutely the most amazing man on the face of this planet?" she asked breathlessly.

"Yes," Harry answered, smoothing back her hair. "But you can tell me again if you like. I'm always in the mood for an ego boost."

Hermione laughed and kissed him again. "We'd better get going," she said, her lips still on his.

"Wait," Harry said as she pushed off him. "There's more…"

"Really?" Hermione's eyes brightened.

"Well, since you left all the planning to me for the wedding and honeymoon," Harry paused and Hermione made a face at him. "I think you'll like what I picked out," he pulled another set of tickets out of his pocket and Hermione grabbed them.

"JAMAICA?" she cried.

Harry grinned as she jumped giddily. "I didn't think when you told me to pack for warm weather that we'd be going to Jamaica! This is absolutely brilliant Harry!"

"Maybe you should leave all the planning to me all the time," Harry said smugly as he got up to grab his suitcase.

"Maybe," Hermione answered, putting the tickets safely in her purse. She picked up her suitcase and garment bag containing her gown and took one last look around the room. "The next time we come back here we'll be married!"

Harry grinned at her again as they left the flat. They arrived at the airport in due fashion and got on their plane.

"Why are we flying there instead of just Flooing?" Hermione asked in a low voice as they buckled themselves in.

"I just thought it might be more fun," Harry replied, squeezing her hand.

"Okay," Hermione replied, leaning over to give him a quick kiss. Leaning her head on his shoulder, Hermione slept through most of the short flight and woke up when Harry nudged her as they landed.

Harry had made reservations at a beautiful old hotel in the middle of the city. Hermione could see the Acropolis from the window and grew increasingly excited for that evening. She made Harry do what he had to do in the loo before she barricaded herself in late in the afternoon.

Harry pulled his black dress robes on over his dress trousers and white shirt. He looked at himself in the mirror, trying yet again in vain to get his hair to behave. Hermione liked his hair messy, he was relieved about that. Sitting down on the bed, he glanced at the clock on the bedside table then turned on the TV.

Hermione shook her long hair, letting her recently set curls fall into place. She could hardly believe that it was her in the reflection. Hermione didn't think she'd ever looked so pretty, but every woman looked gorgeous on their wedding day.

She put on the lingerie she'd bought, it was strapless and lacy, something she wouldn't normally wear but she wanted to surprise Harry. A quick glance at her watch on the counter told her she didn't have much more time, so she hurried into her dress.

Hermione loved the dress she'd picked out. It was a halter, strapping behind her neck, and the empire waist rose up in a point underneath her breasts. There were beaded flowers placed sporadically throughout the rest of the gown with a small train flowing out behind her.

Hermione pulled two locks of hair back from her forehead and fastened them with clips that matched her dress. She let out a deep breath then turned to look at herself in the full length mirror on the back of the door.

"Harry?" she called out softly. "I'm ready,"

Harry got up when he heard Hermione and clicked off the TV. "I'm ready too," he replied, suddenly nervous. She opened the door slowly and as soon as Harry caught sight of her he felt as if he'd been completely knocked off his feet.

"Hi," she said softly, and somewhat shyly.

"You…" Harry couldn't even blink. "Hermione… wow…"

She blushed a bit. "I take that to mean I look nice?" she said lightly.

Harry nodded vigorously. "Nice… nice isn't even in my head right now. Hermione you look absolutely gorgeous… I've never seen anyone more beautiful in my life."

Hermione looked up at him, tiny tears in the corners of her eyes. "Thanks Harry," she said softly.

Harry couldn't take his eyes off her. "I guess… we should go…" he finally said.

Hermione smiled. "All right," she took his arm. They were Apparating to the Acropolis where the Greek Minister of Magic would be waiting.

They apparated in about 20 metres away from where they were due to exchange vows.

"He should be here any minute." Harry said as they looked around. The sun had fully set an hour and a half before and the majestic building was lit up. They were the only ones up there and Harry turned to his fiancée with a grin.

"How about a quick snog before the ceremony starts?" he asked wickedly. Not giving Hermione a chance to answer, he had kissed her hard, his arms wrapping around the back of her gown while hers went around his neck.

"Ahem," a voice made them jump apart. The Greek Minister of Magic stood before them. "I see you could not wait to be married before the honeymoon started," he teased.

"The honeymoon started the day I met her," Harry said, his arm still around Hermione's waist. She turned red as both men laughed.

"Thank you for doing this for us," she spoke. "Harry and I really appreciate the discretion."

"It's my pleasure," he took a small bow. "Shall we?" he asked, gesturing to the front of the Acropolis. They walked over and the Greek Minister opened the book he had with him.

He began to speak, but Hermione had almost no idea what he said. He was heavily accented so she sometimes had trouble figuring out what part of the ceremony he was on until he was suddenly looking at Harry expectantly.

Harry turned to face her. "Hermione, I promise from this day on to love you with every ounce of my being," he slipped the matching band onto her finger.

Now it was her turn. "Harry, I promise that I will love you from this day on, forever," her voice broke slightly on the last word and she coughed a little. Slipping the gold band over his ring finger, he raised her hand up and kissed the back, his eyes twinkling.

"By the power invested in me by the Greek Ministry of Magic, I now pronounce you husband and wife," the other man said with a smile on his face. "You may kiss your bride."

Harry grinned at her, his arms curving around her waist again. He lowered his head and their kiss was brief but passionate. They broke apart and Hermione started laughing as she threw her arms around her new husband and hugged him hard.

"Congratulations," the Greek Minister said, kissing Hermione on the cheek. He shook Harry's hand and then Harry handed him a sack.

"Thank you," Harry said.

"I'm honoured that you chose me to partake in your wedding," the Greek Minister bowed again. He smiled at the both of them and then apparated away.

Harry and Hermione turned to look at one another once they were alone again, staring at each other for a few long moments before breaking into laughter.

"We did it," Hermione hugged him tightly as Harry swung her around in a circle.

"You're stuck with me now," he replied, his green eyes slightly clouded.

"That's not such a bad thing," she replied, stroking her fingers through his hair.

Harry smiled at her and kissed her again. "I love you."

"I love you too," Hermione replied, kissing him hard.

"Come on… I'm dying to get you out of that dress," Harry said, his tone turning lustful.

"I've got a surprise for you underneath," Hermione whispered, her voice gone husky.

That was all Harry needed to hear. He grabbed onto her and they apparated back to their hotel room.

*** *** 36 Hours Later *** ***

"Ahh…" Harry Potter stretched, raising his arms above his head as the cool Caribbean breeze wafted across the room. They'd gotten to Jamaica the previous day and had yet to see any of the island. He was enjoying being married too much.

"Morning," a voice greeted him and he turned on his side to see his wife lying cuddled next to him. His wife. Harry grinned as he pushed some brown hair out of her eyes and tilted her face back.

"Morning," he echoed, giving her a chaste kiss. "Sleep well?"

"Yes," Hermione replied coyly. "Especially after all the exercise I've gotten these past few days."

Harry laughed. "Well I thought maybe we could get some other exercise today. There's a waterfall nearby that we can go climb, or we could just go down by the beach."

"Whatever," Hermione rolled over him and kissed him again. "I'm going to go shower first."

"Okay," Harry responded, and after another kiss she pushed herself up and went into the bathroom. He stretched again, smiling as he thought about how he was going to join her in a moment.

"Who'd have thought one night long would lead me to this?" he asked himself as he got up to join his wife.

Go here to see Hermione's engagement ring and wedding band:

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/kbranagh79/rings.JPG

And go here to see Hermione's wedding dress:

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/kbranagh79/dress.JPG

Wow, and THAT is the end, the end of the end of One Night Long. Thanks to all you guys who stuck with me through this story! See you with an update on one of my other ones soon!